Author Topic: The Official Psychoanalysis GAF Thread  (Read 5019213 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I kinda wanna take SA out of the op, because this thread is kinda for SERIOUS INTERNET SHIT when all SA links people post here are for lol fun and awesome shit but whatever. lol

jeez, get off your pedestal and let people post shit. Not even Willco was this anal

magus

• LIKES FF7
Real great Let's Play of Deadly Preminition going on over at SA.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm usually not one to watch LPs as the people doing them usually try way too fucking hard, but this dude is both funny and informative. The thread is good too, but lots of fun fan-art.

(Image removed from quote.)

F K IN THE COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THIS GAME IS NOT REAL,IT DOESN'T EXIST,NO SIR
<----

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
I kinda wanna take SA out of the op, because this thread is kinda for SERIOUS INTERNET SHIT when all SA links people post here are for lol fun and awesome shit but whatever. lol

jeez, get off your pedestal and let people post shit. Not even Willco was this anal

Himu needs to be demodded.  Power hungry nicca!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
SA stays up because it's a pay-for forum. It's pretty serious when you gotta pay for access.
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm

for real

Chinner

mod challenges on SA are amazing. if i was a mod on gaf i'd do this shit:

guy attempt to troll e/n but completely backfires
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382337&pagenumber=1

Himu

:rofl
IYKYK

Shuri

banned from gaf again for saying that jrpgs belonged to the last generation :/

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

:lol

What's your ban count at now?
MMA

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
The most successful rpg in the world is japanese, and will probably be so for the forseeable future with every new iteration(s).
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The most successful rpg in the world is japanese, and will probably be so for the forseeable future with every new iteration(s).

World of Warcraft was made in Japan?
dog

EmCeeGrammar

Oh snap!

fake edit: "As of March 31, 2008, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl combined have sold 14.77 million copies worldwide. "
nevermind I win. right?  Considering its three year old data and there's still platinum to account for.
sad

Shuri

:lol

What's your ban count at now?
I believe i've been banned 8 or 9 times so far. It's only a 3 days ban.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Oh snap!

fake edit: "As of March 31, 2008, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl combined have sold 14.77 million copies worldwide. "
nevermind I win. right?  Considering its three year old data and there's still platinum to account for.

Let me know when Nintendo starts getting $15 a month from each of those 15 million people. :patel
dog

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
I'm still waiting for my avatar from Himuro on SA :smug
USA

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

Ban is well-deserved.
^_^

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Unzip

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Let me know when Nintendo starts getting $15 a month from each of those 15 million people. :patel

Counting merchandising, they probably get at least triple that every month from each of those 15 million people.   :miyamoto

Counting microtransactions, Blizzard makes TEN times that every month. :patel
dog

Rman

Himu, where in SA do you usually hang out?  Do you use the same nick?

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25600386&postcount=95

A big fat Wow at that bolded part, and another for people agreeing with him.
Unzip

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419696&page=2

Why can't video games just be about fun anymore? Why do they have to be some high-art bullshit that "pushes the industry forward"?

Because when hipsters get involved in the hobby it has to be about "art" and how hip they are for doing whatever they are doing.

Smooth Groove

I blame those people for games like Shadow of the Colossus.  The gameplay in SOTC is janky as fuck.  I just tried playing it recently on an emulator.  Even with higher res graphics and a much better framerate, SOTC is just not much fun to play because of the horrible mechanics and long stretches of banality.  The art has aged pretty well but if I wanted to look at classic art, I'd just borrow an art book from a gay cousin. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419696&page=2

Why can't video games just be about fun anymore? Why do they have to be some high-art bullshit that "pushes the industry forward"?

Because when hipsters get involved in the hobby it has to be about "art" and how hip they are for doing whatever they are doing.

Don't worry, those cock-gobblers only make up a small minority of gamers. Otherwise we'd all be playing Heavy Rain: Black Ops and ICO '11.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Hey a "everyone troll Inception fans" thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419804

Sandy vaginas all ova' the place, I love it.
:9

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
dudes right. Shutter Island > Black Swan > Inception
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
fight the good fight BT
nat

cool breeze

Hey a "everyone troll Inception fans" thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419804

Sandy vaginas all ova' the place, I love it.

The types of posters trolling Inception just make me want to like it and Nolan more  :-\

I miss Avatar

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Yeah, Pokemon has successfully leaped from generation to generation. My daughter has no idea that it is even a game yet (or even what a game IS) and she can already identify that shit and bugs me to buy Happy Meals to get the toys etc. That said, there are plenty of equivalents IN Japan - Hello Kitty is still huge, for example. Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto etc are all long term marketing juggernauts and may eventually get to where Pokemon is (well, Dragon Ball is clearly past the peak but still...new shit is constantly coming out).
vjj

EmCeeGrammar

I remember when the pokemon craze first started.  The show aired on UPN and  KFC made a big stink about having pokemon plushies.  It was shit like seel and dratini and zubat.  But no pikachu or jigglypuff or any of the popular pokemon.

sad

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I remember getting up every morning in the summer and literally going door to door in my suburb, playing people in either the Gameboy or card version of Pokemon.

I remember downloading a ROM of the Japanese version of Gold onto a floppy disk, before it was out in the US.

Hell, I remember waking up super early on school days just to watch the show, even if I knew they would be showing an episode I had seen already.

Himu

Himu, where in SA do you usually hang out?  Do you use the same nick?

Mostly GBS, Cinema Discusso, Games, TV/IV but with a  bit of Debate and Discussion, ADRTW, mixed with a smidgeon of Laissez's Faire.

Used to be at BYOB before they moved it to RFA.
IYKYK

Himu

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:13:45 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Oblivion

One Piece seems a bit too adult-oriented to really catch fire. 

wha?

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Facebook Hacked:
http://mashable.com/2011/01/26/mark-zuckerberg-fan-page-hacked/

First Zuckerberg's fan page hacked and now everyone has a status update from some guy on their news feed that they can't delete or mark as spam.
CBG

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Yeah, Pokemon has successfully leaped from generation to generation. My daughter has no idea that it is even a game yet (or even what a game IS) and she can already identify that shit and bugs me to buy Happy Meals to get the toys etc. That said, there are plenty of equivalents IN Japan - Hello Kitty is still huge, for example. Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto etc are all long term marketing juggernauts and may eventually get to where Pokemon is (well, Dragon Ball is clearly past the peak but still...new shit is constantly coming out).

Hello Kitty is definitely the grandmother of it all.  Even adult women with children of their own still buy Kitty crap.  I think Dragon Ball is on its way out, Naruto doesn't have a shot, One Piece seems a bit too adult-oriented to really catch fire.  I would sooner submit Doraemon, Stitch, Dragon Quest, Anpanman, and Mickey/Minnie shit as merchandising juggernauts in Japan.  The big ones are obviously Kitty, Pokemon, and Disney, though.

Even the lady at the local dry cleaners has a Hello Kitty jacket...

the most surprising thing is she's Korean.
^_^

Himu

wha?

It's entirely anecdotal but I haven't met a single kid under age 12 here that likes One Piece.  It seems to be mostly popular with teenagers and young adults.  If you want to be a merchandising god-king, you have to appeal to the under-12ers.

Seems to reflect the One Piece fan population here at the bore.

:bow ONE PIECE :bow2
IYKYK

Hello Kitty is definitely the grandmother of it all.  Even adult women with children of their own still buy Kitty crap.  I think Dragon Ball is on its way out, Naruto doesn't have a shot, One Piece seems a bit too adult-oriented to really catch fire.  I would sooner submit Doraemon, Stitch, Dragon Quest, Anpanman, and Mickey/Minnie shit as merchandising juggernauts in Japan.  The big ones are obviously Kitty, Pokemon, and Disney, though.

Even the lady at the local dry cleaners has a Hello Kitty jacket...

the most surprising thing is she's Korean.

Hello Kitty transcends nationality with Asians.
野球

Raban

• The baby...

Well it's true, so sleep easy.
SRY

archie4208

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419893

Not even 50 posts in and it is already an entertaining thread.  It is like the Hatfields and McCoys of videogames.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419893

Not even 50 posts in and it is already an entertaining thread.  It is like the Hatfields and McCoys of videogames.

Filthy poors need to get a job so they can afford both.
dog

Himu

If portables now have graphics that rival consoles what's the point of a console/gaming pc?
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Herp :cookiem
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:50:47 PM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

EmCeeGrammar

I don't have the patience for pc gaming.  It's getting kinda tired how peeps can't understand the benefits of a closed platform already. 
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Mods :rock
dog

EmCeeGrammar

"Your graphics card isn't in our database, SORRY!"
Gee thanks, Valve.
sad

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419894

these threads always make me laugh

"strict moderation"
"serious intelligent discussion"

smh
itm

cool breeze

If portables now have graphics that rival consoles what's the point of a console/gaming pc?
Playing on portables mostly sucks ???

I think Himuro means like a Sega Nomad, or more relevant, the Motorola Atrix, where it's one device that can be everything. 

which is kinda hard to do now that there are touch screens and back touch screens and motion controls and specialty screens and pedos and gps and things like that.

magus

• LIKES FF7
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419894

these threads always make me laugh

"strict moderation"
"serious intelligent discussion"

smh

WHY IS BORE SO AWESOME?
IS IT DEMI NICK FROST AVATARS?
<----

EmCeeGrammar

GAF is as big as it is due to starting out with extensive NPD leaks.  That's not the case anymore.  You can tell Evilore goes out of his way to get some key NPD info these days, hoping to keep the flame alive.
sad

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
GAF isn't even that big. More developers and celebrities post on SomethingAwful, which is bigger.
USA

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
GAF will keep itself going on those really weird, oddly specific and emotional threads about video games. 

"Do you feel bad when you return a game made by Shigeru Miyamoto and the last thing you did in the game is let your main character die because you put down your controller to go get a cup of water?" 

and then, somehow, like a whole thread agreeing with the thread starter. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
GAF has enough momentum to last another 10+ years if EviLore feels like continuing it.

I also don't think that the NPD leaks were the main reason why it grew to such a large size.  The reason I think is that it was always pretty good about delivering gaming news rapidly.  Plus with some developers and gaming journalist types posting on a somewhat regular basis, I can see why it grew to the size it is today.  NPD stuff was just a nice bonus to these people. 
🍆🍆

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
that's why I'll still read it, you don't miss a single thing that happens that's gaming related. 

Although, at this point, I'm not sure why I even care about gaming news...i think it's out of habit  :lol

EmCeeGrammar

That sounds like something Kojima would do actually.
sad

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
In terms of the spike of traffic in the past couple of years? definitely NPD. However, I don't think it needs NPD anymore (especially since everyone is on the same boat on NPD issue). It has already established a name for itself among gamers/internet forumites big enough to retain its status for years to come.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:38:59 PM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

Smooth Groove

Playing on portables mostly sucks ???

:bow

Great tastes as always. 

Rman

GAF's strength has always been it's activity.  I can use it get most gaming news from there, without having to go Kotaku/Joystiq. 

I've always preferred the sub communities of GAF than the drek that comes out for official threads.

etiolate

GAF used to have rumors and news faster than anywhere, but then they tried to be professional serious face and fucked that all up and the forum is living off of fumes from its past.

There's a lot of kids who will sniff fumes though.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I barely ever go on the gaming side. OT is enough for me.
©ZH

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
I give a gaming side a browse every now and then, but I pretty much get all I need to see from the topic title or first post. All the actual "discussion" I find depressing now.
___