Author Topic: Forget it, Kosma. It's Chinatown.  (Read 73281 times)

BobFromPikeCreek

Forget it, Kosma. It's Chinatown.
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
He was weak to the manipulative sexual powers young women posses, tiesto. How can we blame him?
zzzzz

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
So you're saying that the justice system lets black celebrities walk to appease the black community, much like the pity Oscars the Academy hands out every now and then to get black folks off their back?

No, I'm saying that a lot of black people take out their justifiable frustration with the justice system by exulting in the acquittal of almost certainly guilty black celebrities.  So... yeah, kind of.  Did Halle Berry really deserve that Oscar for Monster's Ball?  Why did Denzel have to win for Training Day where he plays a bad dude and not for Malcolm X? 
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
Actually, if Roman Polanski was a black man accused of drugging and raping a 13-year-old back in the '70s, I'm not sure he would have even been out on bail.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »
So you mean if Polanski was black more people in the US would have defended him?

Yeah, EVEN THOUGH IT'S OBVIOUS HE'S FUCKING GUILTY YOU WEIRDO
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »
Yes, but Triumph, let's wait until we got all the facts to make that kind of judgment. That's all he's asking.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
You know, that kind of argument would hold water if the incident had happened 30 days ago instead of over 30 years ago and we know all about it.

But still- CHINATOWN.
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »
Though I do have to say, I don't think Kosma is misogynist, just misguided... you want to see misogyny, spend some time lurking around the comments section of Roissy's blog - pretty fucking scary how some of these paleocons can be.
^_^

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »
wut

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:17 PM »
Based on what I have read, Polanski is totally in the wrong - no way should you be drugging up a 13 year old and then sexing them... but there are quite a number of girls who falsely claim 'rape', we had a situation at a local college where a girl got into a gangbang with 5 other guys, she accused them of rape and then later fessed up that it was completely consentual. Pretty shitty deal to be falsely accused of something like that.

there are not quite a few girls who do this -- there are standout cases where the male outrage is so high that it overwhelms the fact of actual rape statistics, which are staggering. kinda like how conservatives freak out over anecdotal cases of welfare abuse, and use that outrage to paint the status quo as wrongheaded and thus as an excuse to deny health care to everyone despite the facts -- ya feel me?
duc

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #370 on: September 29, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
:lol omg, just stop
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I havent seen Chinatown, so I dont know what the reference is there.

Dude rapes his underage daughter, and doesn't go to jail. THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL, PEOPLE!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:42:56 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #372 on: September 29, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »
Whats with all these pages? I want to read them but I have to start doing  my homework :'(
Drunk

EvilBoris

« Reply #373 on: September 29, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
Dude rapes his underage daughter, and doesn't go to jail. THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL, PEOPLE!

"most people never have to face the fact that at the right time and the right place, they're capable of ANYTHING."

Diunx

« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »

lol why are you defending him them? I have the excuse of loving Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby and The Fearless Vampire Killers.
Drunk

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »

lol why are you defending him them? I have the excuse of loving Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby and The Fearless Vampire Killers.

He's defending the rights of all men.  Face it, you guys, those seductive little 13 yr old girls are monsters!

Diunx

« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
Isn't gaf poster Nutjobwhatever's sister 13 years old? I would invite her to Jack Nicholson's house if you know what I mean.
Drunk

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #377 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
Based on what I have read, Polanski is totally in the wrong - no way should you be drugging up a 13 year old and then sexing them... but there are quite a number of girls who falsely claim 'rape', we had a situation at a local college where a girl got into a gangbang with 5 other guys, she accused them of rape and then later fessed up that it was completely consentual. Pretty shitty deal to be falsely accused of something like that.

there are not quite a few girls who do this -- there are standout cases where the male outrage is so high that it overwhelms the fact of actual rape statistics, which are staggering. kinda like how conservatives freak out over anecdotal cases of welfare abuse, and use that outrage to paint the status quo as wrongheaded and thus as an excuse to deny health care to everyone despite the facts -- ya feel me?

Totally feel ya, man... I'm just a bit worried that all this fooling around I do will someday get me into trouble, that's all :P
^_^

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #378 on: September 29, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
What if the 13 year old looked like this?

CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #379 on: September 29, 2009, 10:33:25 PM »
Quote from: Roman Polanski
"If I had killed somebody, it wouldn’t have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But… f—ing, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to f— young girls. Juries want to f— young girls. Everyone wants to f— young girls!"

To be honest, is it really fair for him to be sentenced by a judge that wants to fuck young girls? Or go to trial with a jury that wants to fuck young girls? They are obviously jealous.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »
The only solution is to have him tried by a gay judge and a jury of nothing but gay men, since they only want to fuck young boys.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »
Considering he sodomized a 13-year-old girl, probably with a similar build to that of a pubescent boy, I also fear that the a gay judge and gay jury might also be rather jealous.
PSP

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #382 on: September 29, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
The world must be governed by eunuchs, for only they are free from this curse of jealousy. Truly, Polanski was forced to rape that girl, for it is his curse.
wut

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »
Ooh, bad news. Eunuchs govern from inside vortices.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #384 on: September 30, 2009, 12:07:13 AM »
perfect thread title.   :lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #385 on: September 30, 2009, 02:53:20 AM »
Almost fell out my seat when I saw the thread title

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #386 on: September 30, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
More than 100 film industry figures have now signed a petition calling for the release of Polanski, the acclaimed director of Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby and The Pianist.
They include leading Hollywood figures Martin Scorcese, Woody Allen, David Lynch, Wim Wenders, Pedro Almodovar, Tilda Swinton and Monica Bellucci.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #387 on: September 30, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
Woody Allen, the patron saint of appropriate relational behavior.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #388 on: September 30, 2009, 10:45:54 AM »
Almost fell out my seat when I saw the thread title

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol  What is that from?
:)

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #389 on: September 30, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
:lol  What is that from?

Fox News the night Obama was elected.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »
 :lol  I love the look on the bald guy's face.  He's like :wtf
:)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
More than 100 film industry figures have now signed a petition calling for the release of Polanski, the acclaimed director of Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby and The Pianist.
They include leading Hollywood figures Martin Scorcese, Woody Allen, David Lynch, Wim Wenders, Pedro Almodovar, Tilda Swinton and Monica Bellucci.

awww, David Lynch? 

the 13 year old was like "hit me, hit me.." and Polanski was like "DON'T YOU FUCKING LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2009, 12:58:02 PM »
Going back to Whoopi :lol

[youtube=560,345]9NX_D0Bv9M0[/youtube]

My God, what a tool.

"Bububub some countries don't see things the way we do."

smh
dog

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #393 on: September 30, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »

Impressive list.

At least they've actually watched his movies!
Full list?
Erika Abrams, Fatih Akin, Stephane Allagnon, Woody Allen, Pedro Almodovar, Gianni Amelio, Wess Anderson, Roger Andrieux, Jean-Jacques Annaud, Alexandre Arcady, Fanny Ardant, Asia Argento, Darren Aronofsky, Olivier Assayas, Alexander Astruc, Gabriel Auer, Alexandre Babel, Jean-François Balmer, Luc Barnier, Christophe Barratier, Xavier Beauvois, Liria Begeja, Gilles Behat, Jean-Jacques Beineix, Marco Bellochio, Monica Bellucci, Véra Belmont, Djamel Bennecib, Alain Berliner, Pascal Berney, Giuseppe Bertolucci, Lucien Blacher, Catherine Boissière, Thierry Boscheron, Freddy Bossy, Patrick Bouchitey, Cédric Bouchoucha, Paul Boujenah, Katia Boutin (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Jacques Bral, Patrick Braoudé, Guila Braoudé, Anne Burki, André Buytaers, Christian Carion, Henning Carlsen, Jean-michel Carre, Lionel Cassan (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Mathieu Celary, Teco Celio, Christophe Champclaux, Patrice Chéreau, Brigitte Chesneau, Catherine Chouchan, Elie Chouraqui, Souleymane Cissé, Jean- Pierre Clech, Henri Codenie, Robert Cohen, Alain Corneau, Jérôme Cornuau, Guy Courtecuisse (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Miguel Courtois, Morgan Crestel, Dominique Crevecoeur, Alfonso Cuaron, Frédéric Damien, Sophie Danon, Luc et Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Hervé de Luze (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Benoît Delmas, Jonathan Demme, Dante Desarthe, Romain Desbiens, Thomas Desjonquères (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Alexandre Desplat, Rosalinde et Michel Deville, Guillaume D'Ham (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Christelle Didier (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Kathrin DiPaola, Ariel Dorfman, Georges Dybman, Jacques Fansten, Joël Farges, Gianluca Farinelli (Cinémathèque de de Bologne) , Etienne Faure, Michel Ferry, Jean Teddy Filippe (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Martine Fitoussi, Scott Foundas, Stephen Frears, Thierry Frémaux, Sam Gabarski, René Gainville, Matteo Garone, Tony Gatlif, Catherine Gaudin-Montalto, Costa Gavras, Jean-Marc Ghanassia, Terry Gilliam, Christian Gion, Stéphane Gizard, Christophe Goumand, Marc Guidoni, Dimitri Haulet, Buck Henry, David Heyman, Laurent Heynemann, Dominique Hollier, Isabelle Hontebeyrie, Frédéric Horiszny, Robert Hossein, Jean-Loup Hubert, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Gilles Jacob, Just Jaeckin, Anne Jeandet, Alain Jessua, Arthur Joffé, Pierre Jolivet, Kent Jones (World Cinema Foundation) , Paola Jullian, Roger Kahane, Nelly Kaplan, Wong Kar Waï, Ladislas Kijno, Richard Klebinder, Harmony Korinne, Jan Kounen, Diane Kurys, Emir Kusturica, Jean Labadie, John Landis, Claude Lanzmann, David Lanzmann, André Larquié, Françoise Lassale, Carole Laure, Christine Laurent-Blixen, Emilien Lazaron (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Vinciane Lecocq, Patrice Leconte, Claude Lelouch, Gérard Lenne, Pierre et Renée Lhomme, Marceline Loridan-Ivens, David Lynch, Michael Mann, François Margolin, Jean-Pierre Marois, Tonie Marshall, Mario Martone, Christine Mathis, Nicolas Mauvernay, Christopher, Spencer et Claire Mc Andrew, Allison Michel, Radu Mihaileanu, Jean-Louis Milesi, Claude Miller, Jean-Marc Modeste , Mario Monicelli, Jeanne Moreau, Christian Mvogo Mbarga, Juliette Nicolas-Donnard, Sandra Nicolier, Michel Ocelot, Eric Pape, Abner Pastoll, Alexander Payne, Richard Pena (Directeur Festival de NY) , Olivier Père, Suzana Peric (Membre de l'équipe du dernier film de Roman Polanski "The Ghost"), Jacques Perrin, Thomas Pibarot, Anne Pigeon Bormans, Michele Placido, Sabrina Poidevin, Agnès Catherine Poirier, Harry Prenger, Gilbert Primet, Philippe Radault, Tristan Rain, Jean-Paul Rappeneau, Raphael Rebibo, Jo Reymen, Laurence Reymond, Yasmina Reza, Christiane Rhein, Jacques Richard, Avital Ronell, Laurence Roulet, Marc Saffar, Gabriela Salazar Scherman, Walter Salles, Jean-Paul Salomé, Jean-Frédéric Samie, Marc Sandberg, Jerry Schatzberg, Julian Schnabel, Barbet Schroeder, Pierre Schumacher, Ettore Scola, Luis Gustavo Sconza Zaratin Soares, Martin Scorsese, Frank Segier, Guy Seligmann, Julien Seri, Pierre Silvant, Charlotte Silvera, Abderrahmane Sissako, Paolo Sorrentino, Roch Stephanik, Guillaume Stirn, Jean-Marc Surcin, Tilda Swinton, Jean-Charles Tacchella, Radovan Tadic, Danis Tanovic, Bertrand Tavernier, André Techiné, Cécile Telerman, Alain Terzian, Valentine Theret, Pascal Thomas, Giuseppe Tornatore, Serge Toubiana, Nadine Trintignant, Tom Tykwer, Alexandre Tylski, Jaques Vallotton, Betrand Van Effenterre, Jean-Pierre Vergne, Sarah Vermande, Gilles Walusinski, Wim Wenders, Anaïse Wittmann, Arnaud Xainte, Christian Zeender.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #394 on: September 30, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
Well shit, I'm convinced.  Let's set him free and give him a bonus 13 year old for his inconvenience.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #395 on: September 30, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »
Here's what I don't understand, and I don't want to go through this entire thread to find an answer.

Why now?  Why didn't they do this like 20 some odd years ago?  I mean, yeah, what he did is  :-X, but  it just strikes me as odd.

Regardless, I still love Polanksi's films and nothing will ever change that.  People banning his shit from their movie libraries because of this are fuckdumb.
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #396 on: September 30, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
BrandNew- it's probably some ambitious LA district attorney that wants to get some publicity before running for office.  That's my theory.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #397 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
Wes Anderson too? Wow.

I hope you guys make a stand morally and don't watch any works of people condoning this kind of behaviour, I myself, would feel morally bankrupt if I supported people I despise in such a way.

Oh wait all of you guys seen Chinatown already, and I bet you did it in the 80's or 90's.

:piss fake morals :piss2

Yeah dude, because watching a movie directed by a pedophile is way worse than saying the girl he drugged and sodomized was asking for it.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
Incidentally, Roger Avery just got sentence to a year in prison after he plead guilty to getting into an accident while drunk that resulted in a man's death. Maybe if he runs away to Europe before serving his sentence the Hollywood elite will come out in support of him as well.

Why now?  Why didn't they do this like 20 some odd years ago?

Presumably, they never had this chance before.
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #399 on: September 30, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »
Why now?  Why didn't they do this like 20 some odd years ago?  I mean, yeah, what he did is  :-X, but  it just strikes me as odd.

::)

September 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
L.A. Prosecutors Offer Timeline to Prove They Pursued Polanski
By MICHAEL CIEPLY

Just to be clear that it really, truly, honestly did try to catch Roman Polanski during his 31 years as a fugitive from sentencing on a child-sex conviction, prosecutors in the Los Angeles county district attorney’s office have compiled an “advisory” that outlines their efforts. Herewith, is the official time line, from the office of district attorney Steve Cooley:

Feb. 3, 1978: the Extradition Services Section opened a file after federal authorities confirmed Polanski was living in France.

May 3, 1978: provisional arrest request prepared when it was learned Polanski may be in England. A formal extradition package was submitted on May 12, 1978.

April 2, 1981: confirmed with Office of International Affairs that the District Attorney’s Office would continue to seek Polanski’s arrest and extradition.

December 1986: consulted with Royal Canadian Mounted Police after being informed Polanski may be traveling to Canada.

May 1988: after receiving notice Polanski may travel to Germany, Denmark, Sweden or Brazil, verified the arrest warrant was still active.

June 1994: provided the Office of International Affairs confirmation that our office continued to pursue the extradition of Polanski and submitted a provisional arrest warrant request to France on June 21, 1994.

October 2005: informed that Mr. Polanski would travel to Thailand. The District Attorney’s Office submitted an Interpol Red Notice that had been distributed in 2002. Polanski appeared in Thailand, but was not arrested.

July 10, 2007: informed Polanski was scheduled to appear in Israel. The Office of International Affairs notified our office that authorities in Israel requested additional details, which were sent. By the time the information arrived, Polanski had left Israel and was not arrested.

Sept. 22, 2009: informed that Polanski was scheduled to appear at a film festival in Zurich, Switzerland. An application for a provisional arrest warrant was prepared to the U.S Department of Justice, Office of International Affairs. It was executed by Swiss authorities on Sept. 27, 2009.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/la-prosecutors-offer-timeline-to-prove-they-pursued-polanski/

He was dumb enough to appear at a film festival in which his appearance was publicized well ahead of time in a country with an extradition treaty with the US.

MYSTERY SOLVED
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:44:42 PM by Malek »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »
Wes Anderson too? Wow.

I hope you guys make a stand morally and don't watch any works of people condoning this kind of behaviour, I myself, would feel morally bankrupt if I supported people I despise in such a way.

Oh wait all of you guys seen Chinatown already, and I bet you did it in the 80's or 90's.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:49:31 PM by Chipopo »

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »
You've just sort of given up now, eh?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
lol he mad

At least I'm not an obviously misogynistic assclown who can't save money.  Oh, and with AIDS.
yar

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »
You supported someone who you think is a deviant and should be locked up, you gave him money. Yeah thats pretty morally bankrupt.

I don't think he gets residuals for his old movies. So if I watch The Fearless Vampire Killers or China Town on TV, I don't think he's getting any money for that. Anyway, even if it did, a lot of it went to the victim in a civil suit.

I never helped the man in any way, you gave him money which helped him stay a fugitive.

France and Poland, along with stupid apologists, have helped him stay a fugitive. Even if he had zero cents to his name, France would have still protected him.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »
Wes Anderson too? Wow.

you don't have to morally agree with anything to want to see justice done.   and where's the rule written that you can't watch movies of the directors who support him?   Impassioned boycotts over one issue like this are distinguished mentally-challenged and the people who claim they're doing them never see the big picture.  Their stance crumbles when you start presenting hypothetical situations that are essentially the same circumstances, minus the famous person.  Replace "Roman Polanski" with "average black guy" and this story would be turned into a feel-good "no criminals escape the long arm of the law" story for 5 minutes on the news.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »

::)

September 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
L.A. Prosecutors Offer Timeline to Prove They Pursued Polanski
By MICHAEL CIEPLY

Just to be clear that it really, truly, honestly did try to catch Roman Polanski during his 31 years as a fugitive from sentencing on a child-sex conviction, prosecutors in the Los Angeles county district attorney’s office have compiled an “advisory” that outlines their efforts. Herewith, is the official time line, from the office of district attorney Steve Cooley:

Feb. 3, 1978: the Extradition Services Section opened a file after federal authorities confirmed Polanski was living in France.

May 3, 1978: provisional arrest request prepared when it was learned Polanski may be in England. A formal extradition package was submitted on May 12, 1978.

April 2, 1981: confirmed with Office of International Affairs that the District Attorney’s Office would continue to seek Polanski’s arrest and extradition.

December 1986: consulted with Royal Canadian Mounted Police after being informed Polanski may be traveling to Canada.

May 1988: after receiving notice Polanski may travel to Germany, Denmark, Sweden or Brazil, verified the arrest warrant was still active.

June 1994: provided the Office of International Affairs confirmation that our office continued to pursue the extradition of Polanski and submitted a provisional arrest warrant request to France on June 21, 1994.

October 2005: informed that Mr. Polanski would travel to Thailand. The District Attorney’s Office submitted an Interpol Red Notice that had been distributed in 2002. Polanski appeared in Thailand, but was not arrested.

July 10, 2007: informed Polanski was scheduled to appear in Israel. The Office of International Affairs notified our office that authorities in Israel requested additional details, which were sent. By the time the information arrived, Polanski had left Israel and was not arrested.

Sept. 22, 2009: informed that Polanski was scheduled to appear at a film festival in Zurich, Switzerland. An application for a provisional arrest warrant was prepared to the U.S Department of Justice, Office of International Affairs. It was executed by Swiss authorities on Sept. 27, 2009.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/la-prosecutors-offer-timeline-to-prove-they-pursued-polanski/

He was dumb enough to appear at a film festival in which his appearance was publicized well ahead of time in a country with an extradition treaty with the US.

MYSTERY SOLVED

Alright, no need to get angry.  I just was lazy.  You did the work for me.
püp

Barry Egan

« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »
I don't know how you guys can say one thing, then do the other.

"HEY BAD MAN, I WANT YOU PUT IN JAIL"
"but first here's a dollar"

Maybe that's not how this thread happened. CASE CLOSED.

But seriously, it didn't.  Try rereading it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »
"It wasn't really rape because she actually wanted it" didn't work, so now it's on to "Well, you guys are hypocrites for watching his movies!" :rofl
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »
Kosma's Theory Of Temporal Hypocrisy Inflation

Watching Rosemary's Baby on cable TV in 1992 is the equivalent to advocating Polanski's innocence and calling a 13-year-old girl a slut who wanted it in 2009.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
You know, there's a certain amount of people taking the Kosma line and insisting that Polanski was helpless against the girl's Slut Ray, and obviously she's the one responsible for the sequence of events.

I don't remember anywhere near this number of people taking the same tack with all those molested choir boys.  Why not?  I've been to Catholic services.  They had to know there'd be wine when they signed up.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »
  :spin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:12:44 PM by Malek »

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »
I don't know how you guys can say one thing, then do the other.

"HEY BAD MAN, I WANT YOU PUT IN JAIL"
"but first here's a dollar"

Typical. There's no connection between the two.  I'm watching eraserhead this friday.  Supporting one of David Lynch's movies is not going to support Roman Polanski's cause.  As malek's theory pointed out, I would have to go back in time and actively not support David Lynch in order to keep his signature off the list of famous directors.   The "damage" (which is not damage, because, if there's any justice, judges won't give a shit about a petition by celebrities) has already been done.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
If only there were a system of laws, and institutions outside of the movie business to enforce them!

Then the burden for meting out justice wouldn't fall to my Netflix queue.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #413 on: September 30, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
Seriously, I think Kosma is making a good point about the hypocrisy of viewing the work of someone who you morally have a problem with.  If you don't even think that Polanski should have been allowed to make those films, then how can you allow yourself to watch and possibly enjoy those films?  

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #414 on: September 30, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
 :lol
Mandark for Super Icon.
zzzzz

Oblivion

« Reply #415 on: September 30, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »
Going back to Whoopi :lol

[youtube=560,345]9NX_D0Bv9M0[/youtube]

What the fuck, Whoopi? Also, this is like the first time Elizabeth Hasslebeck (sp?) has said something that's not completely distinguished mentally-challenged.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #416 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
Hollywood liberals arguing about the semantics of "rape-rape"

lol

I wonder if this will be on the daily show.

Barry Egan

« Reply #417 on: September 30, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
Seriously, I think Kosma is making a good point about the hypocrisy of viewing the work of someone who you morally have a problem with.  If you don't even think that Polanski should have been allowed to make those films, then how can you allow yourself to watch and possibly enjoy those films?  

There's definitely an argument to be made.  Of course, it can only be made once you've concede that Polanski is indeed a rapist, and not the victim of a thirteen year old succubi/whore.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #418 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »

If I refuse to watch his movies, nothing changes. He's still been free for all those years and able to make those movies. Refusing to watch them is an empty gesture.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »

I think it's the art that matters and not the artist.  I've enjoyed and supported the works of people much worse than him...william burroughs comes to mind (always a good example in these "should I continue supporting an artist I morally despise" arguments.) A good reason to like Burroughs is that he is so freaking deviant (and a negligent killer.)  We all have supported a douche bag somehow.

like mandark said, my netflix queue will have no probative weight in proving Polanski is innocent. :lol  the court will look at the facts...well, actually they don't even need to look at the facts anymore because he plead guilty. 

So watching polanski is pretty much guilt free after all.  I watch Chinatown and enjoy it, I think he should go to jail for his crimes, and he goes to jail because he plead guilty. it's win/win