Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ~|OT|~  (Read 131609 times)

fizzel

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ~|OT|~
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2011, 03:38:25 AM »
PC UI controls feel like the first two gothic games, with keyboard use anyway.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2011, 03:58:58 AM »
Seems like it fixes my biggest complaint about the previous ES games, which is that this game is actually FUN.  Had a blast running around and smiting shit.  I'm doing single weapon and magic in the other hand, which seems like a good way to do a little bit of damage to enemies before they close.  Plus, burninating shit never gets old.

Also, you can totally tell that Bethesda has learned a lot from the Fallout games and that has translated into a better frpg in Skyrim.  Game is shit hot as far as I can tell and I suppose I'll be spending stupid amounts of time playing it.  And yes, 360 pad is the way to play this game; tried m+kb and pad, and pad is just obviously how they designed the game.

Weird anecdote:  the GS in my podunk mountain town had EASILY more than 100 fucking people there to pick this game up tonight.  Not shitting, I should have taken pics.
yar

fomalhaut

« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2011, 04:00:03 AM »
as nice as the new GUI is, which it is great, the lack of quick mapping actually ruins the game in a lot of ways.  nothing like getting pulled out of the fight by going through this menu to pick this thing i wanted to do once

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2011, 04:27:12 AM »
:bow GOTY :bow2

Using my wireless 360 pad, feels good man.
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2011, 04:28:49 AM »
Found a good bug, or more a design oversight.... When you get to Riverwood at the bar or somewhere you talk to Sven who wants you to give a fake note to this woman from a guy Faedarn. Rat out Sven then chat to Faedarn and he becomes your companion, you can take stuff from his inventory when he's your companion, he also trains you in Archery for $. So you can pay him to train you then take your money back from his inventory and keep training up to 50 Archery :lol
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2011, 04:36:47 AM »
omg I am having fun just doing menial stuff like my day job at the mill chopping wood.

:bow amazing
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:37 AM »
I've already played for nearly 4 and half hours. If I weren't so dang tired, I'd probably stay up until morning playing, but, man, I gotta get me some sleep.
dog

fizzel

« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2011, 07:26:10 AM »
i've got a headache from the FOV, aggressive HDR and contrasty visuals :P

as nice as the new GUI is, which it is great, the lack of quick mapping actually ruins the game in a lot of ways.  nothing like getting pulled out of the fight by going through this menu to pick this thing i wanted to do once

You can bind weapons to a  number Key in the quick menu (the Q key thingy)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
Found a good bug, or more a design oversight.... When you get to Riverwood at the bar or somewhere you talk to Sven who wants you to give a fake note to this woman from a guy Faedarn. Rat out Sven then chat to Faedarn and he becomes your companion, you can take stuff from his inventory when he's your companion, he also trains you in Archery for $. So you can pay him to train you then take your money back from his inventory and keep training up to 50 Archery :lol

:lol
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »
I really didn't like Oblivion when I played it and quickly gave up playing but this has me hooked completely. I'm finding it kinda hard to acquire decent one-handed weapons so Ive been using a two-handed axe and switching to magic + weapon when need be. Wish there was a way to quickly swap between my axe and magic+mace instead of going though the item menu. No big deal but it'd be nice.

The skills menu is kinda freaking me out. There's quite a bit going on there and the interface is pretty crazy.

Why didn't you like oblivion, and why is this different?

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
What I hate about Oblivion is that enemies level up with you. Does the same shit happen in Skyrim?

God I hate that. You basically grind for nothing.

fomalhaut

« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »
short answer yes and no.  it scales relative to areas, just like a lot of classics like Baldur's Gate even did. so just get it, it's not like Oblivion, that game sucked.

i worship the ground that Morrowind walks on, and i'm liking this game, so take my word for it.  Oblivion sucks elephant dick, Skyrim is the elephant whose dick is getting sucked.  This game is gonna be GOTY for a lot of people, ie. anyone who plays it

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
Its basically Fallout: Elder Scrolls which is A-OK by me.
o_0

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

This may have been posted. Mega lulz at 28:00.
©ZH

drew

• sy
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
oblivion was amazing and you're all heathens

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »
Yeah I wasnt a big Oblivion fan- I preferred the janky hilarious explorathon that was Morrowind.
o_0

Brehvolution

« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »
What did you guys name yours characters?
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »
What did you guys name yours characters?

Duuuuuuuurp
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »
Some girl was txting me asking if I got this game the other day... maybe I can go to her house and see how it is. :pimp
^_^

Himu

« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
Does it make sense at all for a ranger to be able to use magick?

Also, iron/metal armor weighs you down, right? So as a ranger/assassin, I should stick to fur armor?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Also, iron/metal armor weighs you down, right? So as a ranger/assassin, I should stick to fur armor?

Yeah, you want light armor if you're playing a ranger/assassin. Heavy armor if you're a tank.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
I always play the most boring fighter dude type in these kinds of games. I'm gonna legit try a different approach this time around.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »

I don't think the armor material is what matters just Light and Heavy. Heavy is supposed to create more noise, even when sneaking than Light Armor.
:9

Himu

« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
Yeah, well, when I run now I hear "clank clank clank clank clank" so before I set out for this mission for the Companions (:rock) I'll try to get myself well equipped.
IYKYK

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Anyone know how to remove arrows from your character's body?  I've got 3 arrows seemingly permanently stuck in my torso that I can't get rid of.  I've tried sleeping and changing clothes but nothing happened. I guess it's not that big of a deal since I'm playing this in first person but I like to check my guy out every now and then and this shit is a little distracting.
Tacos

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
Just picked this up from the big K, got another $15 gaming coupon.  Mine came with a nice map on parchment-style paper.
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
Just picked this up from the big K, got another $15 gaming coupon.  Mine came with a nice map on parchment-style paper.
Mine too.  I got mine from Wal Mart (had a gift card).  A lot of Wal Marts around here didn't get shipments of it.  Funny observation though.  This other guy was buying Skyrim too at the entertainment section.  When he checked out he had a box of laxatives to go with it.  A long weekend with nachos, pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches and gaming it up?  I think so.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
maybe he is going to play it on the toilet with the bathroom door open
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
Maybe

:bow wireless controller :bow2

Brehvolution

« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
i am rolling as ooga booga's mutant dark elf son CREEPER. he sneaks and ejaculates lightning. this is definitely oblivion so far, but minus the SUCK
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »
I loved Oblivion, but I'd still agree with that. Skyrim just does everything that Oblivion did but WAY BETTER.
dog

Brehvolution

« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »

:rofl
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »

Bethesda
"Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures. We’ve seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up. We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed). Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it. We’re working on a solution in the next title update for those who have installed the game. "

360 :piss2
cat

fomalhaut

« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
I loved Oblivion, but I'd still agree with that. Skyrim just does everything that Oblivion did but WAY BETTER.

Skyrim's pooping on Oblivion's bullet (turd) points and bringing back the glory of Morrowind and Daggerfall

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
This game looks butt ugly on 360.
zzzzz

cool breeze

« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »

does kmart have the PC version w/ $15 coupon?

archie4208

« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »

Skyrim is the most popular game (based on concurrent users) ever on Steam, even over Counter-Strike and Portal 2.  :omg

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
:bow Skyrim :bow2

Edit: It went up by nine thousand since you posted that picture. :lol
dog

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »
This game feels like a Fallout 3 total conversion mod.
zzzzz

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
This game feels like a Fallout 3 total conversion mod.

...that's a bad thing?
yar

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
No, it's an awesome thing.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
Actually, I take that back since aiming with ranged weapons isn't complete fucking ass in this game.
zzzzz

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »

does kmart have the PC version w/ $15 coupon?

Depends on your K-Mart, mine doesn't carry PC games. Dunno if you get a coupon when you order online.
sup

naff

« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
I really don't like how they've dealt with attributes. Where's my Agility, Strength etc?  :'( If I'm a melee/bow using character does Stamina increase my damage output, or does it only affect my stamina pool and equip load?

Perks are cool. But a poor substitute for a more transparent stats system. I hate how they've just 'fixed' it by burying it. Bad Bethesda.
◕‿◕

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #225 on: November 11, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
So how bad is it on 360?  I haven't had a chance to play it but from reading the GAF thread it's just slightly worse than the PS3 version.  But fucking hell I'm not playing 100+ hours of a game on the sixaxis POS.  And no gaming PC for me.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
It's ugly but bearable.
zzzzz

naff

« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
No probs with 360 version here. I don't even notice the ugliness, just the pop in that gets me.
◕‿◕

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
Yeah, the 360 version looks a lot better when you don't install, looked like chicken-fried assholes before I uninstalled.

Speaking of chickens and assholes, I killed a chicken in Riverwood and half the town came after me so I had to reload my last save.  I mean, c'mon, it's just a fucking chicken.
sup

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Haha, that's the first thing I did when I entered the first town. You don't mess with chickens.
©@©™

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
So, I just found out that enemies level up with you. Not interested in the game anymore.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »
So, I just found out that enemies level up with you. Not interested in the game anymore.

Everybody told you the game had Fallout style level scaling which is a less aggressive version of the scaling done in oblivion but still scaling. Pay attention.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/26/todd-howard-on-the-lessons-skyrim-has-learned-from-fallout-3/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:36:05 PM by Stoney Mason »

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »
“You’ll still run into the weaker stuff and you’ll just decimate it.”

That's what I want to hear  8)

I love being overpowered and wreak shit in such games. Oblivion really annoyed me in that regard. It was very unsatisfying.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
The system works like this

LEVEL SCALING

Level scaling in Skyrim is based on the system in Fallout 3.
The number one most important thing is this, creatures do NOT scale up in terms of abilities to match YOUR level.
Meaning each Mountain Giant you encounter in Skyrim will have the same attributes regardless of your own attributes when you encounter them.

In Fallout 3, each territory in the game was assigned an encounter level that determines the level and equipment of the creatures when you discover that specific area.
This means that when you're at Lv1 and wander into a Lv5 encounter territory, you're in for a fight.

Loot is in general also scaled to the territory's encounter level, but some items were hand-placed like in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

The areas, or territories level do not remain static as you level up yourself, however, as soon as you enter an area or territory, its level will be locked and will NOT scale up in difficulty as you do.
As previously mentioned, undiscovered areas and territories will level up in difficulty, but it won't be to specifically match YOUR level.
So say when you begin the game, an area that is designated a Lv5 encounter level will become, say a Lv8 encounter level when you're at Lv15 yourself.

Something a lot of people have said they want to see is the possibility to enter an area that is absolutely WAY too difficult for you to handle, then return at a later level with better equipment and stats and just cleaning house, this scaling system allows that 100%, as when you entered that dungeon with those difficult enemies, it was locked to those, and will not change as you level up.
Those minotaurs you saw in there will remain when you return in 10 levels, and they wont have gone up in stats.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #234 on: November 11, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Thanks, Stoney. That sounds really good and better than what I expected it to be.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #235 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
They must be really proud of the art overhaul, you can rotate/zoom any item in your inventory, I just checked out a tomato in full screen

a tomato
sup

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
There is actually a really cool puzzle where you have to do that too.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
I really don't like how they've dealt with attributes. Where's my Agility, Strength etc?  :'( If I'm a melee/bow using character does Stamina increase my damage output, or does it only affect my stamina pool and equip load?

Perks are cool. But a poor substitute for a more transparent stats system. I hate how they've just 'fixed' it by burying it. Bad Bethesda.

I've noticed their absence, but stats were always a rather vague way of determining how much better one level was from the previous. Perks give you a tangible difference.
dog

Himu

« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
Ed, 360 version is fine. Game is beautiful, I've never had a freeze or frame rate dip.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
230k concurrent players on Steam right now. Crazy.
dog