Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1266499 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Official Manly Anime Thread of Joseph Joestar Vs. Vampires
« Reply #240 on: December 08, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
The movie is legitmately great, the series is pretty good [except for the second season where KyoAni poops the bed], but it's held up among the community as some pinnacle of modern storytelling, which it isn't.

:lol Who is saying this?

I have never seen Haruhi, but it seemed like all the fanboys rejected it after whatever happened in the second season.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »
I always kind of associated Haruhi with the rise of MOE.  Never heard that term being mentioned until it came around.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »
The movie is legitmately great, the series is pretty good [except for the second season where KyoAni poops the bed], but it's held up among the community as some pinnacle of modern storytelling, which it isn't.

I have never seen Haruhi, but it seemed like all the fanboys rejected it after whatever happened in the second season.

Well, it was pre season 2, at least. I zoned out after reading about what happened with that mess, so I might have missed where the fan base started turning away from it.

I always kind of associated Haruhi with the rise of MOE.  Never heard that term being mentioned until it came around.

I associate it more with Lucky Star, since the show actually threw the term around quite a bit.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »

It's best to not watch the second season. Watch season one only if you're interested

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
The movie is the height of the franchise, but it makes no sense if you haven't watched at least some of season 1.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »
Moe came along before Haruhi. Haruhi and stuff like K-ON was just a convenient point of convergence as it has all of it's moe bases covered and was popular. It's actually a very enjoyable series if you ignore the fans.

cool breeze

« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
Haruhi was moe filth at its core, only sometimes it put that moe filth in decent stories.   

It's not even like Working (season 1 at least), which's entire purpose is to mock dumb moe conventions.  Genshiken too but since that's an anime/manga about anime/manga nerds, it's more self aware and comments on moe, than really using moe.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
Haruhi was moe filth at its core, only sometimes it put that moe filth in decent stories.

I just really don't see it. K-On is moe to the core, without a doubt. It's slice of life that exists for little reason other than moe. Haruhi actually does things with its characters, gives them situations to deal with and actual development of personality [to some extent]. It does play to its audience at times, but that's cetainly not what the entire show is about.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
The punchy punch girl in Working annoys me, but I really like the series. Bakemonogatari and Durarara had some moe in it, but fuck were those brilliant.

Linkz you're being too harsh on Haruhi. I feel people hate it cause it helped popularize moe not so much for what it is, a ditzy stupid supernatural school adventure.

If you want to talk pure moe trash look no further than Toradora.

cool breeze

« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
I said it put them in decent stories! most anime isn't even decent.  And while I liked it, and first season of K-on, actually, I'm comfortable enough calling them what they are without lowering my opinion.  Haruhi plays with the trope more, in that there is a history behind why a character is tsundere and sometimes acts self-aware, but that doesn't absolve it.  The only defense I'd accept is "it's not moe, but it extensively uses moe tropes;" effectively the same thing 95% of the time.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
Moe, to me, is a series with few [if any] male characters, huge emphasis on girl-friendship, lack of drama or negative emotions. Everything played as absolutely safe as possible, with nothing in the story that forces the characters give up anything or make any sacrifices or even CHANGE. It panders to the basement-dwelling nerdlings desire to "protect" innocence, cuteness, and purity. I just don't see how Haruhi can possible fit into the mold.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »
Moe came along before Haruhi. Haruhi and stuff like K-ON was just a convenient point of convergence as it has all of it's moe bases covered and was popular. It's actually a very enjoyable series if you ignore the fans.

"Moe" has been around way longer than any of that stuff, but I don't recall it being at the forefront until Haruhi came along.

I couldn't watch Lucky Star.  It was like Azumanga Daioh without the charm and slice-of-life humor.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
Moe, to me, is a series with few [if any] male characters, huge emphasis on girl-friendship, lack of drama or negative emotions. Everything played as absolutely safe as possible, with nothing in the story that forces the characters give up anything or make any sacrifices or even CHANGE. It panders to the basement-dwelling nerdlings desire to "protect" innocence, cuteness, and purity. I just don't see how Haruhi can possible fit into the mold.

Moe has to do more with the female character's personalities/design....it's not a genre.  A lot of that harem crap is certainly moe though...if not all of it. 

What just amazes me is how harem comics n' shows get recycled on a yearly basis, and nobody seems to notice or care that's it the same old shit over and over again.  HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT GUY IS SURROUNDED BY GIRLS BUT DOESN'T WANT TO GO AFTER THEM THEY GO AFTER HIM INSTEAD AND HE DOES NOTHING AND OH WACKY CHARACTERS TOO AND OH BEACH EPISODE AND OH HOT SPRINGS EPISODE NOTHING HAPPENS IN THE END ~FIN~
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:02:32 PM by lyte edge »
ど助平

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Is Aria moe? my favorite character was the cat with the hat.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »

Moe has to do more with the bubbly-bouncy-energetic girl personalities.

That's certainly part of it, but I don't think that alone really ecapsulates the entire definition.

And I don't really think Haruhi [the character] can really be labeled "tsundere", she's more like...totally self-absorbed with minimal awareness beyond her own pursuits.

Is Aria moe? my favorite character was the cat with the hat.

It's a fine line between moe and plain slice-of-life, but Aria makes it by because it doesn't come across as pandering.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »
I'll never understand all those "hilarious" and "cute" anime shit. I'm in it for the violence and superpowered shit.

You think I'm joking? My main reason for watching any anime was the badass fights, Dragonball Z just happened to be badass all around.

But Dragonball has "hilarious" and "cute" shit too...and lots of bizarro-wacky character designs and names!

I enjoyed Dragonball but have never been able to get into any similar long-running action series.  Everything just ends up reminding me of Dragonball or just drags on and on and gets boring as shit. 
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
I'll never understand all those "hilarious" and "cute" anime shit. I'm in it for the violence and superpowered shit.

You think I'm joking? My main reason for watching any anime was the badass fights, Dragonball Z just happened to be badass all around.

But Dragonball has "hilarious" and "cute" shit too...and lots of bizarro-wacky character designs and names!

I enjoyed Dragonball but have never been able to get into any similar long-running action series.  Everything just ends up reminding me of Dragonball or just drags on and on and gets boring as shit. 

I never could either. 100+ episodes shounen shows have just never interested me. Give me a good 13-26 episode series with a beginning, middle, and end.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
It works for me when it's manga. 

I'm finally reading through Battle Angel Last Order (which is :bow :bow2 Wrath you should check it out) and it's been awesome.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »

"Moe" has been around way longer than any of that stuff, but I don't recall it being at the forefront until Haruhi came along.

I couldn't watch Lucky Star.  It was like Azumanga Daioh without the charm and slice-of-life humor.
I agree 100% with this post

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
All this moe talk is scrambling my brain, so here:

dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
Senjougahara is "moe" to some but not to others. Moe just means "your type"

@Count watch Natsu no Arashi or School Rumble(both from the same guy), the funny shit in there is actually .. funny. Or watch Golden boy.

cool breeze

« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2011, 01:19:44 PM »
Hunter X Hunter is the best shonen manga because it's a collection of short series sharing characters.  Every arc is different, whereas Naruto/DBZ/Bleach/etc just replace one final boss for another final boss.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »

wtf @ the scene of kids getting blown apart by machine guns  :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »
Hunter X Hunter is the best shonen manga because it's a collection of short series sharing characters.  Every arc is different, whereas Naruto/DBZ/Bleach/etc just replace one final boss for another final boss.
HxH is amazing when Togashi isnt being a hideous fucking troll. IMO Yu Yu Hakusho and HxH will always be figthing for top shounen of all time and creation. I have a soft spot for Getbackers too.

Also this thread could use some Vagabond kill scenes and Gantz madness

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
It works for me when it's manga. 

I'm finally reading through Battle Angel Last Order (which is :bow :bow2 Wrath you should check it out) and it's been awesome.

How many chapters?

There's quite a lot and there's multiple series.  Battle Angel is nine volumes long, then there's the very small Ashen Victor, followed by Last Order, which retcons the end of Battle Angel and keeps it going.  I think it's around 15-16 volumes long now; still on-going.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »

That's from Genocyber, it's incredibly violent but I really can't recommend watching it.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
But it also has MOE! :omg
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #267 on: December 08, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
Everything has moe, everything. There isnt a single tv show/movie/anime/manga without it, what people refer to as "moe" anime are those that turn up the fan service or knowingly try and appeal to the most neckbearded neckbeards.

Bebpo

« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Star Driver continues Bones' tradition of having pure bomba status in both the Japanese and US anime market.

I got my vol.1 today and tried to do a UPC scan to add it to my collection, and it's not even in the system.  Meaning no one else using the database even owns it.  Then I go and check online and despite it having come out a week ago, there isn't a single review on the internet.  Blu-ray.com doesn't even have any user reviews of it!

Man, nobody is buying this  :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
Everything has moe, everything. There isnt a single tv show/movie/anime/manga without it, what people refer to as "moe" anime are those that turn up the fan service or knowingly try and appeal to the most neckbearded neckbeards.

Wrong.

©@©™

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
There's a little girl crying in the intro of that show. DISMISSED.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
I'm sorry but you have already posted moe.

Himu

« Reply #272 on: December 09, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
this thread no longer interests nor caters to me.

further proof why government intervention is always a bad thing.

agree

back to ignoring the anime thread
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #273 on: December 09, 2011, 12:09:24 AM »
@Count watch Natsu no Arashi or School Rumble(both from the same guy), the funny shit in there is actually .. funny. Or watch Golden boy.

jesus christ

just...don't do this

don't do this
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #274 on: December 09, 2011, 12:16:29 AM »
Did Kobayashi Jin piss in your fruit loops? :lol

Himu

« Reply #275 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
No, you're just suggesting him bad comedy anime.

I've already suggested him Genshiken.

I'd also suggest he check out Detroit Metal City and Cromartie.

In other words, never suggest blindly. School Rumble is anti-Wrath. Always consider the person's taste when giving suggestions. School Rumble's not that great anyways, though it's a guilty pleasure.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #276 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »
I WILL NOT STAND DOWN. THIS WAS AN AWESOME ANIME THREAD. IT WILL REMAIN AN AWESOME ANIME THREAD.

IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #277 on: December 09, 2011, 01:32:38 AM »
Yes Cromartie is good, but come on School Rumble and Natsu bad? lolololololololololol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #278 on: December 09, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »
You are the one who started in with shut the fuck up, so yes. Chillax.

And no, I see no reason to discuss it further in a PM because that's silly. I don't need to make some kind of appeal to you.

Spencer, you should try "counting to ten" once in a while.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #279 on: December 09, 2011, 02:08:36 AM »
See you next dickering space cowboys

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:34 AM »

That's from Genocyber, it's incredibly violent but I really can't recommend watching it.

smh  :lol

cool breeze

« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:44 AM »
School Rumble is good for the most part.  Never heard of that Natsu thing.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2011, 02:55:43 AM »
^also made by Kobayashi Jin. Has some school rumble references 

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2011, 06:16:18 AM »
i liked the first episode of school rumble but near the middle it turns into a romance drama and those are :yuck

the comedy anime i suggest to everybody is of course,this

<----

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2011, 07:17:42 AM »
Just showed my kids Cagliostro's Castle (Lupin III). This movie is every bit as good as I remember it being. As this was the first time I've seen it in 10 or more years, it was also the first time I've understood the dialog. :lol

Do I need to put in smilies for you to understand I'm not emotionally engaged? Were the words chillax and silly not enough context clues? Jump off this dyck space cowboys! :spin :spin
Wasn't there something in another thread where you mentioned having blown up inappropriately? This had a similar tone, so I thought you'd done that again.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2011, 08:27:39 AM »
You are the one who started in with shut the fuck up, so yes. Chillax.

And no, I see no reason to discuss it further in a PM because that's silly. I don't need to make some kind of appeal to you.

Spencer, you should try "counting to ten" once in a while.

Seriously, enough.  I told Spencer to take it to PM because I don't want to see this thread get derailed with nonsense. 
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2011, 09:25:01 AM »
Just skimmed through this thread. Best parts were the 80s anime worship and Himu's "thank you Sci-Fi channel" post. :'(

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Star Driver
When I hear this name I think of

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
Lyte closed the other anime thread because he hates anime and was mad that we had two thread about animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
everytime I read someone getting mad over anime I picture the Haruhi butt frestrations image.

I'm almost afraid to ask for that, plus what the fuck is Haruhi?

I found the image, it's on my work pc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »
Comedy anime? Try this:

Kuuchuu Buranko [Trapeze]
Tentai Senshi Sunred
Moyashimon
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Level E
Soredemo Machi
Magical Witch Punie-chan
Gokusen
Working
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »
Full Metal Panic makes me sad because it cant decide if it wants to be a comedy or a regular show

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Full Metal Panic makes me sad because it cant decide if it wants to be a comedy or a regular show

I don't know anything about this "Full Metal Panic" of which you speak, but there is this show called "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu" that is an absolutely hilarious comedy series.
dog

Himu

« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »

Fumoffu is a comedy series. It is the Looney Tunes of anime.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
So is Azumanga Daioh considered moe too? This is a new word for my vocab

No. Moe is a sexualization of characters to me. Azumanga is pre-moe fad.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #294 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
Originally, it was one of the best threads on the board. Then people starting talking about modern shit.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
>Modern shit

Oh please, you are the reason why this thread sucks, MR. NOSTALGIA cigarillo.

All you guys do is recommend old ass shit and ignore every fucking new anime that comes outta Nippon's asshole.

And then you guys have the fucking nerve to recommend GUNDAM FUCKING AGE. Even Bebpo shat on that one and he likes K-on. K-ON!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #296 on: December 09, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »

I have watched all of FMP, fomoffu included. It's really hard to flip flop between Fomoffu and the regular FMP though.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
So is Azumanga Daioh considered moe too? This is a new word for my vocab

No. Moe is a sexualization of characters to me. Azumanga is pre-moe fad.
This thread has taught me that we all have different views of what moe is :lol

@General topic of the moment.
God I love 80's and 90's anime, captain tsubasa, the harlocks, the space battleships, the spriggans, the ghosts in the shell, the yu yu hakusho, the black jacks and such. But to pretend that a fat heap of shit dint come out around these shows is revisionist history and nostalgia glasses at it's peak. You guys most likely weren't exposed to the shit that came out as less shows traveled west during this period.

With the advent of the internet you now just get to see how much mind numbing crap comes out as well. It's always been this way, always. The amount of great shows in the 2000's are on par, if not more than the 80's/90's. The Black Lagoons, Bakemonogatari's, FLCL's, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Girl who leaped through time, Ghibli stuff, Sword of the Stranger, durarara!, Baccano, xxxHolic,  Garden of Sinners and what have you.

I'm happy to go down memory lane at any time, as I said I love the anime of that period, but let's not pretend modern anime is in any way inferior.

Himu

« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »

I have watched all of FMP, fomoffu included. It's really hard to flip flop between Fomoffu and the regular FMP though.

that's cuz regular fmp sucks

>Modern shit

Oh please, you are the reason why this thread sucks, MR. NOSTALGIA cigarillo.

All you guys do is recommend old ass shit and ignore every fucking new anime that comes outta Nippon's asshole.

And then you guys have the fucking nerve to recommend GUNDAM FUCKING AGE. Even Bebpo shat on that one and he likes K-on. K-ON!

:lol @ this post

I don't shit on every new anime. Just most of them!  Also, no one recommended Gundam AGE, I said I couldn't know if I recommend it until it hit at least 25 episodes.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
Most anime is shit though, if I had to pull a number out of my ass 86.7%