Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1180339 times)

Bebpo

Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
doesn't it have like a great total of 6 world? some of which feature recycled content? (like pinocchio) it rather seems to tend more on the half-assed side than on the good one

This and XIII-2 are the first two games to come out of the Wada "2 year dev cycle!" mantra to save the company.  Will it help the company?  Sure.  Will it help the games?  Certainly not.  Some games were out of hand at SE with ridiculously long dev times, but most big budget SE games benefited from the extra time to deliver more quality products.

I used to love SE games, I still kinda like them, but I don't think I will care for their games as much from here on out as they try to be budget-conscious and provide weaker game experiences because of it.

Tasty

« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
Don't care, has Tron Legacy. :hyper :hyper :hyper

Good to hear about the combat though, to me that's more important than flashy menus.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »
doesn't it have like a great total of 6 world? some of which feature recycled content? (like pinocchio) it rather seems to tend more on the half-assed side than on the good one

This and XIII-2 are the first two games to come out of the Wada "2 year dev cycle!" mantra to save the company.  Will it help the company?  Sure.  Will it help the games?  Certainly not.  Some games were out of hand at SE with ridiculously long dev times, but most big budget SE games benefited from the extra time to deliver more quality products.

I used to love SE games, I still kinda like them, but I don't think I will care for their games as much from here on out as they try to be budget-conscious and provide weaker game experiences because of it.

it's all about versus,i might even buy a ps3 if they drops into the 150$ bucks (of course second hand) range and it turns out to be really good
<----

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
Bebpo's just projecting again.  Anything he listed doesn't make sense as factors that would effect an initial release amount sold, but rather would be evident in a significant drop off next week followed by a bad tail from bad word of mouth.  The relatively tepid launch sales are more the result of a lower 3ds install base and the fact that the series keeps jumping ship between platforms.
sad

Bebpo

« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »
Aren't those just the typical nintendo fan excuses?

KH did poorly for what it is and the install base is not an excuse at all.  It's easily big enough with enough core gamers to support KH.  Also jumping around systems didn't seem to hurt 352 days or BBS. 

DDD wouldn't have done BBS numbers even on PSP.  It's just not a big deal KH title, but a quickie one done between projects.

« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
So why did it do worse?  The only other explanation I can think of - which complements rather than contradicts those perfectly plausible 'excuses' (what a distinguished mentally-challenged way of putting that, btw) - is that KH has a history with Sony systems and most of its fanbase is probably there.

EDIT: Oh, re: the 'quickie-between-projects' thing: fine, but you just said that KH did poorly for what it is.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:24:06 PM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

Bebpo

« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
An entry in a game series can't do worse than the previous entry in sales simply because it appears to be a less interesting entry from all available information to the public?  (trailers/cms/etc...)

The disney worlds in the DDD are the less popular ones, the trailers and commercials haven't been amazing, and Nomura has gone on record to tell the public that the game is just an opening chapter of a later game will probably end on a cliffhanger where you will have to wait 3-5 years until KH3.  To some people, that is the definition of "pick up when it bombas"

« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
No, I accept that (I don't know anything about the game and am happy to take your word for it) - was just saying that you were trying to have it both ways ... 'disappointment' that it did poorly for what it is, then an explanation that says that what it is was why it did poorly.

Further, none of what you're saying actually contradicts what EmCeeGramr said - just compounds it.  Why bother with the 'excuses' nonsense? EDIT: Unless you're auditioning to be Speigel's understudy.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:38:29 PM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
ECG - low 3ds total hardware and platform switching

Bebop - mediocre game in a series sells worse than better games in series because of mediocrity

I don't understand you're confusion
dur

« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
Also, wasn't the DS version supposed to be shit?  You are tripping over yourself here, bebpo.
ǚ

Bebpo

« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
The first DS game (358/2 days) was the first major 3d KH game on a handheld.  People were excited to have a 3d KH game on the go and the series was still riding high at that time.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
An entry in a game series can't do worse than the previous entry in sales simply because it appears to be a less interesting entry from all available information to the public?  (trailers/cms/etc...)

The disney worlds in the DDD are the less popular ones, the trailers and commercials haven't been amazing, and Nomura has gone on record to tell the public that the game is just an opening chapter of a later game will probably end on a cliffhanger where you will have to wait 3-5 years until KH3.  To some people, that is the definition of "pick up when it bombas"

What I'm saying that is outside of niche games, the general audience for a popular game isn't going to pick up on these faults until after a game is released and word of mouth gets around.  What you are saying would effect the legs of the game, not its debut.
sad

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
well thats dumb

Tasty

« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lBQYzFStstU/T3sWEY9xIaI/AAAAAAAABfw/DadYOXEb_hY/s1600/PS+Vita+iPhone+Advertisment.png

:lol

How is it working for you Sony? Oh wait don't answer!

I'm convinced they put this ad somewhere really close to Wario64.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
wtf is "Stuff", a magazine or something?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
yeah, it was a "sister" magazine to maxim
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
This might be interesting

UK
Sales of all games since 1996 to week 6,2012

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36701950&postcount=61
#   Brand                             UK Units   Titles
1   FIFA                              28.1m      36
2   Mario                             22.2m      72
3   Call of Duty                     19.3m      17
4   Sims                              18.0m      70
5   Grand Theft Auto            16.2m       18
6   Sonic the Hedgehog        13.3m        57
7   Star Wars                       13.2m        96
8   Need For Speed              10.8m        25
9   LEGO                             10.1m        47
10   Pokemon                        9.4m        61

Title Count shows the number of iterations of each game all the way back to the ‘80s. Only sales since 1996 are included.

This analysis is up to and including week ending February 11th, 2012. Some brands will already have added to their Title Count (e.g FIFA Street, Uncharted, UFC, Syndicate).

Brands can be companies, characters, a series and so on. FIFA and Mario are both brands, despite one being licensed and a company and the other an original IP.
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Euros love them so FIFA.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
Uk not Eu.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »
Uk not Eu.

I have no doubt the same holds true in the rest of Europe.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
I live in Ireland I can blame the Uk for anything man.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
Very, very surprised not to see Championship Manager/Football Manager in there

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
Vita's not going to sell until they drop the price, period. People can continue to go around and around about that shit until they're blue in the fingers/face, but that is the bottom line. In the fantasy world of video game message boards where people regularly drop $150 on a "collector's edition" of a game with a shitty art book and a plastic statue, I'm sure it's befuddling why a $250 dedicated handheld system isn't leaving scorch marks on the shelves from flying off so fast, but in the world of normal human beings with shaky jobs in a shaky economy, no one is going to drop that minimum $250 + $20 + $Game + $Tax for what is still essentially an electronic toy, not even if the motherfucker had 6 analog sticks and 4 touchscreens which all sang your praises as you played. Until you can walk into a Wal-Mart/Best Buy/Target and walk out with one for $199 or less (memory stamp included), it doesn't matter what kind of "system seller" game comes out.
sup

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
Sonic colors was certainly decent, probably not great, but decent.  Not to say it matches the highs of the earlier games.
sad

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
I think Sonic and SEGA All Star Racing, Colours[Havent completed yet] and Generations were pretty great actually

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
It makes me sad watching the footage of the 2d segment Generations stuff because things look mostly spot on.  Make a full game of that with 3 stages 7 zones catchy chiptunes and they could have a New Super Mario Bros type success on their hands (outside of japan because they don't give a shit about Sonic at all these days)
sad

Tasty

« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
The funniest thing about the quality uptick in the Sonic games is that sales have been trending downward with each one.  Sonic fans *want* shitty games, it's clear.  Sonic 4 outsold the shit out of Generations.

That's more because there was no Wii version than anything else. What did Colors sell vs. Sonic 2006 vs. Unleashed HD?

Tasty

« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
For some reason I thought Colors had sold a ton. Probably other Nintendo fans whispering sweet nothings in my hivemind.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #448 on: April 07, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
Vita's not going to sell, period.

Fixed for accuracy.

I think that the target market Sony's aiming for on the Vita won't be buying one.  They're 10x more likely to stick with an iOS device or their PCs.  I would believe the economy excuse but considering how over 30 million iPads, 45 million iPods, and 65 million iPhones were sold last year, I don't think the economy is so fragile that the Vita just can't exist.  It is just that there is a low demand for the Vita.

As a former Dreamcast owner, it's okay to realize that a system you have invested time and money in will be a flop.  Best thing to hope for is that someone cracks the thing wide open, turning the Vita into an amazing general all purpose media device.  Hell, I bet it can do some very advanced emulation.  If it can do stuff like Model 3 and Atomiswave perfectly, I might have to get one for that reason alone.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #449 on: April 07, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Vita's not going to sell, period.

Fixed for accuracy.

I think that the target market Sony's aiming for on the Vita won't be buying one.  They're 10x more likely to stick with an iOS device or their PCs.  I would believe the economy excuse but considering how over 30 million iPads, 45 million iPods, and 65 million iPhones were sold last year, I don't think the economy is so fragile that the Vita just can't exist.  It is just that there is a low demand for the Vita.

As a former Dreamcast owner, it's okay to realize that a system you have invested time and money in will be a flop.  Best thing to hope for is that someone cracks the thing wide open, turning the Vita into an amazing general all purpose media device.  Hell, I bet it can do some very advanced emulation.  If it can do stuff like Model 3 and Atomiswave perfectly, I might have to get one for that reason alone.

i thought about the ipad/ipod thing before i posted, although they are pretty pricey (except for the ipod touch, you can get one of the 8GB + a nice case + a $50 itunes card for the same retail price as a wifi vita + card...and no game) you can do a lot more with them, and i think people can justify that kind of expenditure more

that's why i went with the "essentially an electronic toy" bit, since 95% of what you'd use a vita for is playing games (they will never have 1/10th the selection of non-game apps that iOS or even Android has)

you are right, though, they really have no target audience other than "uh, everyone?"
sup

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #450 on: April 09, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-06-journey-tops-march-psn-sales-chart

Here's the full chart, as posted on the PlayStation Blog:
  • Journey
  • Infamous: Festival of Blood
  • Resident Evil 4
  • MotorStorm RC
  • Killzone 3 Multiplayer
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Gotham City Impostors
  • Grand Theft Auto 4
  • Mass Effect 2
  • The Simpsons Arcade Game
  • Rayman 3 HD
  • NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
  • Warriors Orochi 3
  • The House of the Dead 3
  • Limbo
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Real Steel
  • Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
  • Sonic CD

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #451 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-09-ps3-sales-continue-to-lag-xbox-price-cut-likely-by-e3-says-pachter

E3 is right around the corner in June, and while Nintendo's Wii U is likely to grab the spotlight with no next-gen announcements planned from Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo's rivals could apply some pressure to the market with hardware price cuts. In fact, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter sees a PS3 price drop as a likely outcome at E3.

Pachter also believes that Microsoft will "consider" a price cut.
The Xbox 360 has been outselling the PS3 in the US each month, but the sales appear to be gradually slowing.

"We expect hardware sales to rebound once price cuts are implemented, but expect a recurrence of the dip next holiday, partially buffered by some modest contribution from the introduction of the PS Vita in February and the Wii U later this year. Recent slowing of Xbox 360 hardware sales could cause Microsoft to consider a price cut by E3. We do not expect an announcement of a next- generation console from Microsoft until the Xbox 360 core model is priced below $200, likely around this time next year. PS3 hardware sales should continue to lag those of the Xbox 360, and we expect sales to trend downward by 10 - 20% monthly, until Sony cuts prices once again, likely at E3," he wrote.

Yay or Nay?

cat

Huff

« Reply #452 on: April 09, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
Nah, its only be 200 for a couple months.
dur

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #453 on: April 09, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »
200?

PS3 is 250
cat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #454 on: April 09, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
That sounds like Pachman expects the hard drive having 360 to go to $200. I don't see a $100 price cut happening.
Hi

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #455 on: April 09, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
Are Sony making profit on consoles sold? Is there room to shave off price? Not sure but I suspect no.

As for MS, I can see them doing a reduced price xbox + kinect bundle.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #456 on: April 10, 2012, 03:59:34 AM »
Price cut seems unlikely.

Things are not rosy in Sony-land.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/10/us-sony-idUSBRE83907220120410?type=companyNews
(Reuters) - Sony Corp. said on Tuesday it will post a record net loss for the year that ended March 31 of 520 billion yen ($6.4 billion), more than double a February forecast as a result of additional tax expenses.

The consumer electronics company, said, however, it plans to return to an operating profit this financial year, forecasting a profit of 180 billion yen after an estimated loss of 95 billion yen for the year just ended.

($1 = 81.3900 Japanese yen)
cat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #457 on: April 10, 2012, 04:10:00 AM »
So just MS then, if they are going into final stretch mode before next gen as I suspect

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #458 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
if the ps3 drops to 200$ maybe i can finaly get all that :uguu uguust goodness
<----

archie4208

« Reply #459 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:07 AM »
Don't forget you'll actually have to buy PS3 games. 

Tasty

« Reply #460 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
How much did Nintendo say they were gonna lose last FY?

Sony copying Nintendo again.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #461 on: April 10, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
Don't forget you'll actually have to buy PS3 games.

eh i know of a secret trick :teehee
<----

Huff

« Reply #462 on: April 10, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
200?

PS3 is 250

they had that 200 bundle for black friday and i guess i just assumed it was going to stay that price.
dur

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
inb4 smug xbots bashing vita
USA

« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
Vita is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.
ǚ

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
the 360 is oding horirble in japan yet it still does fine  ???
USA

« Reply #466 on: April 11, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
I wonder when Sony will start porting Vita games to PS3.  They have to be thinking about it.
ǚ

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #467 on: April 11, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
who cdares
USA

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #468 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
3DS   72,115
PS3   19,370
PSP   14,804
Vita   8,931
Wii   7,099
Xbox 360   3,764
PS2   1,355
DSi LL   793
DSi   743

4k for xbawks?!

what happened?
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #469 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
This is the first week that the Vita dropped below 10k.
dog

« Reply #470 on: April 11, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
3DS   72,115
PS3   19,370
PSP   14,804
Vita   8,931
Wii   7,099
Xbox 360   3,764
PS2   1,355
DSi LL   793
DSi   743

4k for xbawks?!

what happened?

Clearly it's people shifting away from Vita to a system with a more promising future.
ǚ

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #471 on: April 11, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
I've never ran into any "normal" person who either owns a vita or even knows about it.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #472 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
Looks like Kinect Star Wars is a system seller.
cat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
that easy to say when u have no friends tho
USA

Tasty

« Reply #474 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
This is the first week that the Vita dropped below 10k.

Glorious week. I have to give the Vita credit though, I thought it would have happened a long time ago by now.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #475 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
In the grand scheme of things selling <15k like its being doing for a long time is terrible anyway you want to cut it, especially in what's supposed to be its strongest market and relative to its direct competition the 3ds. Dropping below the 10k mark is just some arbitrary forum dividing line to mock.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #476 on: April 11, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
except no one cares
USA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #477 on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
Fuck off shithead.  Sales thread.

I know it hurts you though.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #478 on: April 11, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
if you get visibly upset over video game sales or take gleei n the fact that a company that has brought us some of the most amazing wonderfull beautiful gameplaye experiecnes ever and a great system called teh vita is flopping then u have psycology issues sry
USA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #479 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »
Every so often I get to urge to call you a shithead because of your shitty posting and trolling. Thankfully I've gotten my fill for awhile with these two posts.

So FUCK OFF SHITHEAD!

:D