Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1172251 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
Because nobody likes sales talk in non-sales talk threads.

Notes from Japan for Jan. 2-8:

-3DS has 3 million sellers [Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Monster Hunter 3 G]
-All 3 titles are the top sellers for the week
-Vita seems to be stabilizing at 42k per week
-3DS sold another 250k units
-No Vita titles in the top 20 [top-selling game sold less than 15k]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-11/monster-hunter-3-g-is-japan-latest-3ds-million-seller
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:41:04 PM by bork »
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »
Does Vita have any killer apps coming for Japan soon?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »
Hmmm, I am thinking Vita bundle around August with game + 4GB card for the same $250. I no longer think they'll drop the base unit price (maybe next holiday), but they'll certainly drop a mid-selling (lol) title and the lowest capacity card in the box.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Hell, a 4GB card plus a download code card for your choice of 1-2 games (from a list of everything but something you'd really want, of course) seems the more likely scenario. That way you'd fill the card up right off the bat and have to buy  another.
sup

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »
Famitsu 2011 Top 100 stats was nice

Top 100 Stats (Famitsu)

Total Software/# of games

PSP - 7,959,421 - 31
PS3 - 6,674,346 - 24
WII - 6,386,085 - 21
3DS - 5,206,558 - 11
NDS - 3,183,597 - 13

Total 3rd-party software/# of games

PSP - 7,689,160 - 29
PS3 - 6,510,080 - 23
3DS - 1,895,218 - 6
NDS - 1,517,658 - 6
WII - 1,198,197 - 6

Total 1st-party software/# of games

WII - 5,187,888 - 15
3DS - 3,311,340 - 5
NDS - 1,665,939 - 7
PSP - 270,261 - 2
PS3 - 164,266 - 1

Publisher Breakdown

1. Nintendo - 9,031,126 - 23
2. Namco Bandai Games - 4,264,346 - 16
3. Square Enix - 3,358,444 - 8
4. Capcom - 3,287,315 - 9
5. Level 5 - 1,653,550 - 7
6. SEGA - 1,507,957 - 6
7. Konami - 1,463,271 - 7
8. Koei-Tecmo - 1,292,169 - 5
9. Nintendo/Pokemon Co. - 1,134,041 - 4
10. SCEI - 434,527 - 3

Others - 1,983,261 - 12

PSP beastin' in the top 100. Also. wow @ Nintendo firstparty sales. talk about domination
地平線

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
PSP's software sales probably get a big bump from Monster Hunter and a combination of the death of the DS and the slow start of the 3DS.
dog

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
Today will be fun...
itm

Damian79

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:53:03 AM »
I was thinking, in terms of sales there is a greater divide among gamers than ever before(aside from the atari crash).  Making it less of a good thing to cater to the niche market.  Heck even JRPG's are like FF are niche now.  Devs talk about the iphone as the renaissance of gaming.  Do you think thats true.  Should as gamers we be supporting the iphone?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »
There is no "we" as in gamers. And even if there was it wouldn't matter if "we" "supported" the iphone or not. Hardcore gamers are certainly a decent and money spending part of the market but they don't determine the market. So its best not to talk about these terms in group actions as if we are all one monolithic group in solidarity. The problem with sales talk (and this isn't necessarily aimed at you) is when people mix their desires with their analysis. What is going to happen is going to happen. And it doesn't matter if a certain segment is pro or against that action.

But the point you are really getting at is probably whether tablet/ios gaming/facebook gaming/motion control gaming, etc hurts the hardcore market. I can only speak personally. I like ios gaming. Not too big a fan of the others, but obviously they are filling a need in the market that exists. I don't think its an either or situation. I think the overall market of people defined as playing games increases. Alot of the people who like those kind of games were never going to play hardcore games anyway. The problem isn't necessarily the people who play those things. It's that the people who play certain genres find themselves in a dwindling market for those specific kind of games. The people who use to play certain genres have either lessened in numbers (and this is for lots of reasons. Not just those other forms of gaming) or the rising budgets have made the small amount of people who use to play those games not able to cover the higher production costs that it now takes to make those games.

I think catering to a niche market is fine. Lots of people are making lots of money catering to certain niche markets. The issue is you have to budget your game correctly and really hit the specific needs that target market actually wants.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:21:00 AM by Stoney Mason »

Damian79

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »
Good post i agree with that.  And just for clarification i was asking whether iphone is such a good thing that we should be supporting it or not.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
You didn't read what he posted.  I'd suggest finding a hobby that doesn't require someone else to make your toys for you.  Or accept jrpgs outside of japan will only live on through Pokemon.

So, uh, Oscar... not asking for specifics, but I have been kind of curious how Kinect performed throughout the year considering its second wave of software came out a year later.  Again, I know numbers is a nono, but did it maintain momentum?  I guess it may be hard to gauge with the bundles MS has going on, I'll admit my bias has diverted my attention if the topic ever came up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:44:16 PM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

Damian79

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »
Kinect has continued to do very, very well.  It has made fools of most sales hounds, including myself. 

Damian, support games you like.  If they're on the iPhone, then go nuts.  It's not the customer's responsibility to steward the industry to the safest economic paths.  If iPhone's pricing model ends up being bad for the industry, that'll be their problem to solve, not ours.

I am looking to buy an ios device for a game called "the shadow sun" but i have big hands.  I've had a horrendous experience with the ipod touch.  Clearly it wasnt designed for people above the age of 15.  So i dotn knwo if i should get an Ipad or an Iphone.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
You didn't read what he posted.  I'd suggest finding a hobby that doesn't require someone else to make your toys for you.  Or accept jrpgs outside of japan will only live on through Pokemon.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day the IOS/social gaming/casual gaming bubble busts. It's gonna happen eventually...
^_^

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 12:12:12 AM »
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day the IOS/social gaming/casual gaming bubble busts. It's gonna happen eventually...

Some of those absolutely will not burst. Although they won't keep expanding at the same current high rate. Gaming is going to be more stratified across multiple platforms for the near future until cloud shit can really take off. All the signs point to it. More people will game across lots of different outlets. And alot of those people aren't likely to be hardcore gamers.

I'm fine with that. Things change. Things don't remain the same. That's the lesson of life. There will also always be a hardcore market although some people may not like what may define "hardcore".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:15:23 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 12:31:10 AM »
Kinect has continued to do very, very well.  It has made fools of most sales hounds, including myself. 

Damian, support games you like.  If they're on the iPhone, then go nuts.  It's not the customer's responsibility to steward the industry to the safest economic paths.  If iPhone's pricing model ends up being bad for the industry, that'll be their problem to solve, not ours.

I am looking to buy an ios device for a game called "the shadow sun" but i have big hands.  I've had a horrendous experience with the ipod touch.  Clearly it wasnt designed for people above the age of 15.  So i dotn knwo if i should get an Ipad or an Iphone.

I don't know if I would buy a device for one game but yeah my problem with touches and iphones is that it really does become a problem if you have largish sized hands. I always had an issue with that on my iphone because my fingers obscured the screen so much. That problem is completely eliminated with ipad games. Although like I said, I wouldn't buy an ipad for just one game. (or even a couple of games). You really have to have some actual use for the device along with the gaming to justify it and I consider myself a real fan of ios gaming but I'm also not delusional.

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »
I still wanna know MH3's US LTD.  :maf

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 01:17:35 AM »
The xxxperts at vgchartzzz say Sonic did .8mil so Mh3's done lower than that-ish I guess? (Google is your friend)
Hi

Damian79

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »
I don't know if I would buy a device for one game but yeah my problem with touches and iphones is that it really does become a problem if you have largish sized hands. I always had an issue with that on my iphone because my fingers obscured the screen so much. That problem is completely eliminated with ipad games. Although like I said, I wouldn't buy an ipad for just one game. (or even a couple of games). You really have to have some actual use for the device along with the gaming to justify it and I consider myself a real fan of ios gaming but I'm also not delusional.

Nice.  Ipad it is.  Anyone know of any other good crpgs coming out for the ipad?

Trent Dole

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »
Yeaaah I didn't think their #s were particularly accurate but they were the first seemingly useful result!
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »
Lol vgchartz

Only overestimated by about 400k this time, good for them!

Chartz put Tri US at 482k so that's pretty bad if it's 400k less than that. :'(

Edit- Trolling Capcom financial PDFs is a lot less revealing than going through Nintendo's. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:26:03 AM by Andrex »

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 05:26:42 AM »
So what's the big secret about sales data. ::)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 05:52:55 AM »
So what's the big secret about sales data. ::)
Individuals can get into trouble through their companies for leaking NPD data since its a paid service.

Tasty

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 07:05:49 AM »
But most of it comes out in financials and PR anyways. It's sort of pathetic that this forum which is completely OK with piracy and all kinds of other things is still beholden to NPD and are deathly afraid of releasing any numbers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
But most of it comes out in financials and PR anyways. It's sort of pathetic that this forum which is completely OK with piracy and all kinds of other things is still beholden to NPD and are deathly afraid of releasing any numbers.

That was dumb. Just saying.

No one is gonna risk their job so you can satisfy your curiosity about Monster Hunter.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:27:05 AM by Stoney Mason »

pilonv1

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »

Most of what? You get some basic unit sales and value figures. The people who actually need and use the numbers get infinitely more than what you see.
itm

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »
Whatever. It's a broken system and I don't support it. ::)

Tasty

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »
Oh no, I got the hints. But yes, I'm frustrated us normal plebs can't ever know any kind of specifics regarding sales.

There should be a Wikileaks for NPD.

cool breeze

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
sales talk is a nintendo system's killer app.  are you so surprised?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »
sales leaks is what drew me to GAF in the first place.  For about a year it was awesome, you got full publisher breakdowns month by month and were readily able to gauge any title's success or lack thereof.  It did make for better and more informed video game disscussion, but its not anything that we should have or ever felt entitled to.

Trent Dole

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
I honestly think the amount of secrecy surrounding sales in the industry is fuckin' weird but if it's what they wanna do we just have to deal basically.
Hi

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
I honestly think the amount of secrecy surrounding sales in the industry is fuckin' weird but if it's what they wanna do we just have to deal basically.

nobody must know how badly our games sold!
BiSH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »

I think the attention paid to Metacritic ratings is even more weird; you don't see Michael Bay writing angry rants about Rotten Tomatoes and how Transformers 3 should have gotten all 8's and 9's because the fans enjoyed it.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
It's always sad to see a game you really like get low scores, but there are people on GAF that flip their lid when a game with near-perfect scores gets a single score that isn't in line with the others.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
The over secrecy on game sales and just general game info is a bit weird especially when you compare it to something like the movie industry which lives a lot of its life out in public. The review thing is a holdover to times when reviews actually did matter in the game industry. Since nobody actually cares about the industry awards for games, the only real way to display pride about your craft is either through sales or review scores.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
It's always sad to see a game you really like get low scores, but there are people on GAF that flip their lid when a game with near-perfect scores gets a single score that isn't in line with the others.

Well, gamers are distinguished mentally-challenged fellows obviously, but I mainly meant industry people.
©@©™

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »
the movie industry is actually pretty secretive about lots of things.  Box office grosses are comprehensivley known, but DVD/Blu-Ray, VOD, and any other revenue stream is a damn mystery.  If you want to know exactly how a movie makes money being on Netflix's streaming service, or how much it makes, you'd be as well off going to a movie equivlent of VG Chartz for all the info that's out there.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »
I wish e-heroes like Andrex could focus on the real NPD - the Nougat and Peanuts Delegation. They have been withholding data on the sales of kit kats, snickers, and hundred grand for decades. I need to know what impact Hershey's bliss has had on cookies and cream. Is milky way dark a dying market? Should I preorder a case to contribute to future development of the brand?

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
I wish e-heroes like Andrex could focus on the real NPD - the Nougat and Peanuts Delegation. They have been withholding data on the sales of kit kats, snickers, and hundred grand for decades. I need to know what impact Hershey's bliss has had on cookies and cream. Is milky way dark a dying market? Should I preorder a case to contribute to future development of the brand?

re-uploaded (only one I have left on my HDD).

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
I would say I find it amusing that the usual suspects crop up in the npd threads/elsewhere claiming to not give a shit, but its honestly perplexing and irritating.

I like sales because it gives perspective.  Perspective means I don't act like an ass because one of my pet franchises isn't performing and gets shitbinned.  RIP Viewtiful Joe.
sad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »
Viewtiful Joe died after the first game anyway. The rest shouldnt exist.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
2 was still pretty good even if forgettable compared to the original.

:bow Kamiya :bow2

maxy

• Sales Loser
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 05:53:35 AM »
interesting,not surprising considering 360 retail (non)popularity
cat

pilonv1

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:13 AM »
amazon best seller lists? one step away from chartzzzzzzzzzzz data
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I'm fine with that. Things change. Things don't remain the same. That's the lesson of life. There will also always be a hardcore market although some people may not like what may define "hardcore".

This just made me remember when, to be the best possible experience, multiplayer gaming required that all the players physically move their desktop PCs and monitors (heavy CRT jobbies at that) to a single location, wired everything up on the LAN, and one of the players usually had to be an IT guy to get the network up and running.

To me, that was hardcore. Just to play the game, we'd do all that. And now we bitch and whine if some minor feature of the game was not included in the hand-holding tutorial portion of the game. And we bitch if the tutorial is too long as well.

"Hardcore" -- :lol

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
I would say I find it amusing that the usual suspects crop up in the npd threads/elsewhere claiming to not give a shit, but its honestly perplexing and irritating.

I like sales because it gives perspective.  Perspective means I don't act like an ass because one of my pet franchises isn't performing and gets shitbinned.  RIP Viewtiful Joe.

I'm not against sales talk, just andrex's sense of blind entitlement

Stoney Mason

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »

This just made me remember when, to be the best possible experience, multiplayer gaming required that all the players physically move their desktop PCs and monitors (heavy CRT jobbies at that) to a single location, wired everything up on the LAN, and one of the players usually had to be an IT guy to get the network up and running.

To me, that was hardcore. Just to play the game, we'd do all that. And now we bitch and whine if some minor feature of the game was not included in the hand-holding tutorial portion of the game. And we bitch if the tutorial is too long as well.

"Hardcore" -- :lol

My first example of pulling the "hardcore" card was as a kid when graphic adventures came around and displaced text adventures. I felt they were dumbing down the genre.  :)

Also

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
I have to LOL at the chart because I hear occasional rumblings from Sfags that insist the PS3 is second place worldwide.  Even if 360 is deader than dead in Japan, that 2.8 million hardware difference certainly closes the gap.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
That chart really shows how badly the Wii is dying off, dropped nearly 3 million while the PS3 and the Xbox360 actually increased. Also shows that the 3DS is making a big push, taking the DS's place.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »

I'm not against sales talk, just andrex's sense of blind entitlement

I don't understand.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 03:32:16 AM »
Not really entitlement, just amusement and frustration things aren't more open.

pilonv1

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 05:58:03 AM »
Like it matters anyway, the difference of a few million either side isn't going to have an impact on anything.
itm

Cheebo

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »

That's bullshit and you know it.

There is no such thing as the casual gaming bubble that is somehow going to burst. There have always been casual gamers. Do you think it was just hardcore gamers buying up Tetris for Gameboy in 1989? They played casual games on NES, GameBoy, PSX, etc... The type of simple little puzzle games and brain age sort of software. It's just previously they HAD to buy a game system for those little simple fixes.

Now they don't. They are already buying smart phones and tablets because well, everyone is. They are devices that became a part of regular life and they just happen to play the simple Tetris, Angry Birds, etc. sort of casual games they have always liked. They have no reason to buy a game console for those anymore. Devices they are already buying for other reasons meet their needs.

There is no such thing as a casual gaming bubble. They have always been here and always been part of the industry. It is just they no longer need to buy game systems to meet their needs for simple addictive well made casual games. They can get them on their iPhones and iPads.

115 million iPhones and 55 million iPad's are projected to sell in 2012 alone. And nearly all of them will probably be buying some games. The market isn't going away just because you may not like it. It's always been here. It is just they are buying their Tetris/Brain Age equivalents that they have been buying for decades on devices they already want for non-gaming reasons.

I don't get why some people see this market as some kind of threat. It's always been there, it's just that they used to have to use the same hardware as "us". Dudebro games are doing just fine. iOS is never going to kill off the CoD's, Halo's, GTA's, etc... It's not the same market. It's like thinking because some kiddie Disney movies does great that's bad news for big action sci-fi blockbusters. It's nonsense.

The only thing you could argue is going away is the western japafag market. JRPG's and the like are dying off here. Who knows what happened to them, the anime obsessed teenagers of the 90's/00's grew up and play Skyrim and Saints Row now I guess.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:37:46 AM by Cheebo »
₩‰\

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »
Right, except for pokemon.  Final Fantasy is surely and slowly losing it institution status.
sad

Cheebo

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
Right, except for pokemon.  Final Fantasy is surely and slowly losing it institution status.
Yeah it's really the exception. Really in general outside of Nintendo Japanese games have lost the interest of gamers in the west.
₩‰\

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »
Yeah it's really the exception. Really in general outside of Nintendo Japanese games have lost the interest of gamers in the west.

And that's a shame, since mechanically, many Japanese games are much better than western ones...
^_^

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »

And that's a shame, since mechanically, many Japanese games are much better than western ones...

Ahahahahahahahahahshahahshshshsa

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
I don't get why some people see this market as some kind of threat. It's always been there, it's just that they used to have to use the same hardware as "us". Dudebro games are doing just fine. iOS is never going to kill off the CoD's, Halo's, GTA's, etc... It's not the same market. It's like thinking because some kiddie Disney movies does great that's bad news for big action sci-fi blockbusters. It's nonsense.
I think it's reactionary based on market analysis that investment needed to concentrate on the casual market. Big Studio X announces another quarterly loss, meanwhile Zynga would announce massive profits. You'd see an announcement that EA was closing Pandemic Studios a week after purchasing Play Fish. Shaky starts for the new handhelds had analysts suggesting that the end is near as smartphones and tablets are the one-stop shop for portable gaming. You see this stuff, and people start to erroneously think that Farmville presents a threat to their favorite AAA franchise.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »

Ahahahahahahahahahshahahshshshsa

What do you know, you don't even play games anymore :P
^_^