Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1172207 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
Wait till it hits America. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
18k. Ouch.

Everything dropped from last week, but the 3DS managed to still stay about 100k.

15 of the top 20 titles were on the 3DS and Wii.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:51:43 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
well, sony did do just about everything they could to sabotage that initial swell of goodwill
sup

Cheebo

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
Was PSP doing this bad after soon launch in Japan?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:17:48 PM by Cheebo »
₩‰\

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
See for yourself:

dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
My first example of pulling the "hardcore" card was as a kid when graphic adventures came around and displaced text adventures. I felt they were dumbing down the genre.  :)

My man.
:raised_on_infocom.txt

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
:yuck pantherlotus
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 07:34:33 PM »
Sony better be marching tout de suite over to Capcom to start sucking as much cock as possible to steal Monster Hunter away from the 3DS.
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
You didn't read what he posted.  I'd suggest finding a hobby that doesn't require someone else to make your toys for you.  Or accept jrpgs outside of japan will only live on through Pokemon.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day the IOS/social gaming/casual gaming bubble busts. It's gonna happen eventually...
There is no such thing as the casual gaming bubble that is somehow going to burst. There have always been casual gamers. Do you think it was just hardcore gamers buying up Tetris for Gameboy in 1989? They played casual games on NES, GameBoy, PSX, etc... The type of simple little puzzle games and brain age sort of software. It's just previously they HAD to buy a game system for those little simple fixes.

Now they don't. They are already buying smart phones and tablets because well, everyone is. They are devices that became a part of regular life and they just happen to play the simple Tetris, Angry Birds, etc. sort of casual games they have always liked. They have no reason to buy a game console for those anymore. Devices they are already buying for other reasons meet their needs.

There is no such thing as a casual gaming bubble. They have always been here and always been part of the industry. It is just they no longer need to buy game systems to meet their needs for simple addictive well made casual games. They can get them on their iPhones and iPads.

115 million iPhones and 55 million iPad's are projected to sell in 2012 alone. And nearly all of them will probably be buying some games. The market isn't going away just because you may not like it. It's always been here. It is just they are buying their Tetris/Brain Age equivalents that they have been buying for decades on devices they already want for non-gaming reasons.

I don't get why some people see this market as some kind of threat. It's always been there, it's just that they used to have to use the same hardware as "us". Dudebro games are doing just fine. iOS is never going to kill off the CoD's, Halo's, GTA's, etc... It's not the same market. It's like thinking because some kiddie Disney movies does great that's bad news for big action sci-fi blockbusters. It's nonsense.

The only thing you could argue is going away is the western japafag market. JRPG's and the like are dying off here. Who knows what happened to them, the anime obsessed teenagers of the 90's/00's grew up and play Skyrim and Saints Row now I guess.

Can you repeat that paragraph a few more times

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
I just saw the Vita numbers.  How low can it go...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ps4 try to pull off a wii scenario in the future. The whole tech arms race is yielding no success.
sad

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 10:57:24 PM »
I think people know absolutely fuck all about the future of iOS gaming.

Using Cheebs' theory that because 170+ million units of whatever shit Apple pushes out this year, that iOS gaming will be huge has worked out so handsomely well for the PC, hasn't it?  In just one facet of PCs, in 2010, Intel says that over 85 million netbooks have sold (the number is probably double that if not more currently).  How well has that translated to netbook friendly PC gaming?  The assumption that because people have a device that can work for gaming instantly translates to a booming gaming business clearly is not the case.

I could just as easily see iOS gaming backfire due to the glut of low quality shit.  People will look at what's out there, say "fuck that" and download another light app instead.  Like many things, if consumers keep getting burned, even with 99 cent applications, people will start shying away.  While I'm not saying iOS gaming will fail, the fact that it has a shitware ratio that makes the Atari 2600 look great in comparison can't be healthy for the future of the platform.

Edit:

I just saw the Vita numbers.  How low can it go...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ps4 try to pull off a wii scenario in the future. The whole tech arms race is yielding no success.

The Vita just seems like a stillbirth to me.  Maybe there will be an awesome emulation scene and I can play Model 3 and Wii games flawlessly on the Vita.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:03:48 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Right, except for pokemon.  Final Fantasy is surely and slowly losing it institution status.
Yeah it's really the exception. Really in general outside of Nintendo Japanese games have lost the interest of gamers in the west.

Hi there. I like Western games, but my main interest is still non-Nintendo Japanese gaming. I know tiesto is right there with me.
野球

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »
If something gets localized I buy it but I'll also gladly import it and not bitch.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 01:42:15 AM »
Japanese games probably lost mainstream appeal because Japanese devs myopically focus on Japan gamers.  Chicken or egg, whatever.  It seems like Nintendo is the only common link between them (lowest common denominator joke or something).

Excluding Nintendo the most popular games seem really different.  For instance, in America we have this online thing and it seems pretty popular.  In Japan, they seem more interested in handhelds with local multiplayer.  Although there are other common grounds. In Japan, there are mahou loli rape simulators.  In America, there are bioware games.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2012, 02:44:13 AM »
Japanese games aren't as popular this gen over here for lots of reasons.

The difference in the size and importance in the handheld market between the two regions.
The rise of online gaming.
The rise of Xbox or just in general the rise of a non Japanese console manufacturer.
The rise of "Hollywood" or big budget gaming where presentation and immersion focus on Western themes and interests along with a trend toward realistic graphics

blah blah blah etc etc we all know this.

Japanese games probably won't ever dominate Western Markets like they once did but its not like they've dissappeared and they will always serve their home market which means many of them will be brought over anyway.

You can exclude Nintendo of course from all this talk about Japanese Gaming as they tend to have a lot more universal philosophy when it comes to their products.

Cheebo

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2012, 05:46:01 AM »

Using Cheebs' theory that because 170+ million units of whatever shit Apple pushes out this year, that iOS gaming will be huge has worked out so handsomely well for the PC, hasn't it?  In just one facet of PCs, in 2010, Intel says that over 85 million netbooks have sold (the number is probably double that if not more currently).  How well has that translated to netbook friendly PC gaming?  The assumption that because people have a device that can work for gaming instantly translates to a booming gaming business clearly is not the case.

I could just as easily see iOS gaming backfire due to the glut of low quality shit.  People will look at what's out there, say "fuck that" and download another light app instead.  Like many things, if consumers keep getting burned, even with 99 cent applications, people will start shying away.  While I'm not saying iOS gaming will fail, the fact that it has a shitware ratio that makes the Atari 2600 look great in comparison can't be healthy for the future of the platform.

Hasn't netbook sales gone downhill due to the rise of tablets? PC sales in general have been cannibalized by tablets but I thought I saw somewhere that netbooks have really taken a hit due to it. I thought I read that somewhere. Plus there was no viable gaming outlet for netbooks. There was no strong Microsoft app store to make up for the lack of a disk drive.

Edit here we go: http://www.thegurureview.net/computing-category/netbook-sales-fall-40-percent.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:50:44 AM by Cheebo »
₩‰\

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »
Some of it had to do with most netbooks being really shitty the first couple of years, too. It's hard to shake that first impression. I think the past flood of bare-minimum netbooks with barely-usable Win7 has a lot to do with MS drawing a pretty firm line for Win8 tablet hardware requirements.
sup

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
Well, it depends on what we're talking about. Will it ever completely replace dedicated handhelds? That remains to be seen. Right now, it doesn't seem like there's a major stakeholder (i.e. Apple or any smartphone-centric developer) trying to bring a big-event title to the platform. I've never seen an iOS game advertised outside of having a 2 second placement in a montage of different games. I don't ever know when anything is coming out unless I've been uncharacteristically following the title specifically. So, there's nothing out there that even comes close to matching the enthusiasm of something like "new Monster Hunter!" or "new Pokemon!" day.

I'm not really seeing any indications that this is going to change any time soon, either. So, in that light, I do think that there may be some degree of hyperbole by some that thinks that the market is just going to keep accelerating in growth at a rapid clip and become the de facto gaming platform. There's still a lot of money to be made in selling full-priced games to enthusiastic nerds, and that market isn't really catered to on smartphones.

However, I don't think it shows any signs of declining in health either, and I don't know why it would. There's enough decent stuff out there -- even among the crap -- for people to keep buying. And playing games on the device you're already carrying is never going to stop being convenient; there's always going to be a market there. Even if that market never matures into the market that can support blockbuster, AAA titles, it'll still be there.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »
these are posts that would otherwise be made in other threads

Exactly.
dog

pilonv1

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
just dont look
just dont look
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
In 8 days this thread got 3 pages long. A sales thread. On EvilBore.

This is not the good old EvilBore :'(
Otoh this is the only sales thread.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-24-uk-pc-download-chart-to-launch-next-month

A weekly UK PC download chart goes into public beta next month, entertainment trade body UKIE has announced.

A closed beta has been running for a few months now, but the general public will finally be able to view the data from February.

A number of key industry players have contributed to getting the chart - which is the first of its kind - off the ground, including Disney Interactive Studios, Focus Multimedia, Get Games, Green Man Gaming, Mastertronic, NCsoft, Sega, Square-Enix, Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

There was no mention of Steam in UKIE's announcement.

"UKIE is committed to measuring the size of the digital games market and is delighted to announce that it will be launching a public Beta of the UKIE PC Download Chart in February," commented UKIE CEO Jo Twist.

"Having this digital data alongside our UKIE Games Charts for boxed products, will allow the games industry to lobby government even more effectively, and allow our members to make informed and fact based commercial decisions."

Geoff Heath, head of UKIE's Digital Group, called for more publishers to get involved with the project.

"We all hear that digital sales are growing but we don't know by how much or in which area. UKIE's PC Download Chart is a first step to getting a full understanding of where the industry is developing but this is just the beginning and we still need more input from industry. We need your data!"

UKIE, which sends out the weekly top 40 data that you see on this site every Monday, also announced its intent to get PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade charts off the ground next.

well,it's a start
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
Without Steam, it's pretty much useless though. :(
dog

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
They should get EA(Origin) on board.
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
Notes from Japan:

-FFXIII-2 has topped out at 750k~
-Vita has dropped to 15k, 3DS to 80k [still the top console]
-Top 4 games on the 3DS, no Vita games in top 20 [meaning the lowest was sub-5.5k]
-Beyond the Labyrthin [Konami RPG on 3DS] sold 14k in its first week
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:53:33 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »

:o That's not good, but then again I guess we couldn't have expected much better.

Bebpo

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
Basically shit week for everything

Except, Rhythm Thief did fine.  If it comes to the US I see there being at least 1 sequel.

Tasty

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
Basically shit week for everything

Except, Rhythm Thief did fine.  If it comes to the US I see there being at least 1 sequel.

Really?! :uguu

That's awesome. Game looks awesome.

Bebpo

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
Yeah, 30k opening is not bad for a new ip low budget Sega game in today's Japanese market of "if you can reach 100k, you are amazing".  It opened better than the Feel the Magic games by the same team.

If it's low budget enough and has any legs at all or sells ok at all in foreign countries, it seems like a sequel would be a lock.  Sega likes sequels generally.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2012, 09:48:59 PM »

:o That's not good, but then again I guess we couldn't have expected much better.

I played this game at TGS and thought it was kind of shit, to be honest.  The controls weren't really done well and the combat seemed clunky and unnecessary complicated.  Who knows, maybe the full game is better, but I'm not exactly rushing to find out.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
Notes from Japan:

-Vita has dropped to 17k, 3DS to 80k [still the top console]
-Top 4 games on the 3DS, no Vita games in top 20 [meaning the lowest was sub-5.5k]

You're wrong -- the 17k number is for PSP.  The Vita is at 15k.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
Notes from Japan:

-Vita has dropped to 17k, 3DS to 80k [still the top console]

You're wrong -- the 17k number is for PSP.  The Vita is at 15k.

:o

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
Wait for... uh... somethin'!
Hi

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
That's the real reason why this thread is so short. No need to say anything at all about numbers like that. 15k :lol
vjj

maxy

• Sales Loser
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
Wii's probably gonna make it past 100 million worldwide in another year or so.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2012, 07:31:47 PM »
I could definitely see the Vita bottoming out at 8-12k for a long time.

For Sony's sake, I hope they're beating down the doors of Capcom and Square-Enix wanting some great and exclusive content real quick like.
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
That's the real reason why this thread is so short. No need to say anything at all about numbers like that. 15k :lol
There is one thing you could say:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
DOOMED!
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
Wait for the Vita redesign....and Versus XIII port...
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
Wait for the Vita redesign....and Versus XIII port...

Wait for [the end of time]? Sounds like Vita alright.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
I can never tell if Andrex is in on the joke or hopelessly oblivious.
sad

Tasty

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
Usually in between the two. I will say 90% of my posts here are joke posts structured around what people here think of me/the standard nintenbot.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
Notes from Japan:

-Vita surged to 18k after the release of Tales of Innocence R [55k in week one, #3 position]
-RE: Revelations debuted at 146k
dog

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
Armored Core V did really well. I think a lot better than anyone thought.

It will surely bomba here, though.
野球

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2012, 02:29:47 AM »
copy-paste from some other forum

(Millions of U.S. dollars)

Sales and Operating Revenue --> $ 23,370

Operating Loss --> $ 1,176

Net Loss --> $ 2,038

PS3 Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Hardware Sales   Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       LTD

FY 2006/07         -        -       1.7      1.8      3.5      3.5

FY 2007/08        0.7      1.3      4.9      2.2      9.1      12.6

FY 2008/09        1.6      2.4      4.5      1.6      10.1     22.7

FY 2009/10        1.1      3.2      6.5      2.2      13.0     35.7

FY 2010/11        2.4      3.5      6.3      2.1      14.3     50.0

FY 2011/12        1.8      3.7      6.5       -       12.0     62.0

Software Sales   Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       LTD

FY 2006/07         -        -       5.2      8.1      13.3     13.3

FY 2007/08        4.7      10.4     26.0     16.8     57.9     71.2

FY 2008/09        22.8     21.2     40.8     18.9     103.7    174.9

FY 2009/10        14.8     23.9     47.6     29.3     115.6    290.5

FY 2010/11        24.8     35.3     57.6     30.2     147.9    438.4

FY 2011/12        26.1     37.4     66.2       -      129.7    568.1

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/11q3_sony.pdf

Dreams of outselling xbawks have now officially gone into "everything is fine at THQ" territory.

Kaz will have to answer some tough questions.
cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's ailing electronics giant, Sony Corp, warned investors on Thursday it was heading for a worse-than-expected $2.9 billion annual loss, revealing the daunting task ahead for its incoming chief executive, Kazuo Hirai.

The company, overtaken by more innovative rivals such as Apple and Samsung over the past decade, gave the forecast in its third-quarter results, surprising a market that had been expecting a full-year loss of barely half that amount.

Sony said it expected to make a loss of 220 billion yen ($2.9 billion) for the year to March, its fourth straight year of red ink, including a hefty $1.2 billion operating loss for the third quarter and a steep slide in sales at its troubled TV unit.

"It won't be easy for Sony to regain its lost ground under new leadership, as its overall competitiveness has sharply weakened," said Kim Young-Chan, analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp in Seoul.

"It's got structural problems that will take years to fix. "It's not just Sony but Japanese IT firms have similar problems. They are failing to innovate and produce industry-leading products in almost every major area from TVs to displays, tablets and smartphones."

The market had been expecting a net loss of 132.8 billion yen ($1.7 billion) for the full year to March, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S data.

Sony kept its annual LCD TV sales forecast unchanged at 20 million on Thursday, but cut its forecasts for digital camera and PlayStation 3 hardware sales.

The company is installing Hirai, a company veteran, to stop the rot in its troubled TV business and to rekindle the innovative spirit that had made it a king of the global consumer electronics industry in the 1980s and into 1990s.

Hirai, who revived Sony's PlayStation gaming business, was named on Wednesday to take over from Howard Stringer effective April 1.

Sony shares closed down 2.6 percent ahead of the results in a market that rose 0.8 percent.

There is unlikely to be a honeymoon period for Hirai, who is under immediate pressure to sort out Sony's ailing TV business after it fell behind South Korean rivals such as Samsung Electronics in a market where prices are tumbling.

Above all, Hirai will strive to recapture the innovative flair that led Sony to dream up the Walkman personal music-player in the 1980s and the PlayStation in the 1990s, and regain ground lost since then to Apple Inc and Samsung whose iPhones, iPods and Galaxy gadgets are snapped up by consumers.

Some analysts believe 51-year-old Hirai -- tall, urbane and a fluent English speaker -- can rekindle the flame, saying he has a good grasp of the overall business and is likely to know how to break down its silos and integrate its divisions.

Others are not so sure.

"The biggest issue is top management ... There needs to be a vision for the products, for innovation," said a former Sony executive who felt that a new management mindset was needed.

He told Reuters he believed Sony would ultimately shut the TV business unless it came up with fresh ideas to revive it. "There is still a chance in home electronics, but I imagine the day may come when they will pull the plug on TVs," he said.

Hirai, who made his name hauling the wayward PlayStation division back into the black two years ago, sketched out his priorities in a statement on Wednesday night.

He said Sony needed to drive growth of its core electronics businesses, such as digital imaging, games and mobile devices, turn around its TV business and accelerate innovation.

Hirai's predecessor, Welsh-born Stringer, a former journalist who ran U.S. broadcaster CBS, had been brought in as a rare foreign CEO in Japan to shake things up, but many analysts see his major achievement as cost-cutting.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2012, 02:37:57 AM »
Wait until the Vita's start flying off the shelves in America.

That will surely save them!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:43:20 AM by Stoney Mason »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2012, 02:46:30 AM »
Sony pulling out of TV business would really make me :(
cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
I think the more interesting part is the idea that Sony truly can't launch a next gen console right now with these financials, not that they were going to in the near future. The Playstation 3 will continue on because it literally has to. They can't even cut the price again to spur sales at the moment because it would kill their bottom line. There definitely ain't gonna be a PS4 until 2014 earliest. Hell maybe 2015.

And I was joking about the Vita but good lord they better hope that thing takes off in Japan because it is dead on arrival in America. I would be terrified to put that product on the current market. A $250 to $300 handheld system in the age of tablets, iphones, a 3DS, and actual cheaper consoles. Not pretty.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:56:01 AM by Stoney Mason »

pilonv1

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:58 AM »
Wait until the Vita's start flying off the shelves in America.

When retailers return unsold stock?
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »
I think the more interesting part is the idea that Sony truly can't launch a next gen console right now with these financials, not that they were going to in the near future. The Playstation 3 will continue on because it literally has to. They can't even cut the price again to spur sales at the moment because it would kill their bottom line. There definitely ain't gonna be a PS4 until 2014 earliest. Hell maybe 2015.

And I was joking about the Vita but good lord they better hope that thing takes off in Japan because it is dead on arrival in America. I would be terrified to put that product on the current market. A $250 to $300 handheld system in the age of tablets, iphones, a 3DS, and actual cheaper consoles. Not pretty.

just for fun

Overclocked Vita hardware in PS3 like casing,TV out.Sony top devs making games for both,one game runs on both devices,think min max PC :D

/end fun

Hard to predict but i'm pretty sure about this,

Competition pushes new systems,publishers follow--few next next gen announcements kill PS3 hype/sales.

cat

Trent Dole

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
Well the Weeoooooo is supposedly going to be a smidge ahead of the current machines so that could be a threat to them in glorious Nippon but seeing how well third party publishers tend to do on Ninty home consoles I doubt too many of them will jump over. The 720 or whatever is a possible threat in japan maybe if it's first and way ahead of other offerings but MS would have to make a huge effort over there which they've already done several times to no avail.
Hi

Trent Dole

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
Well the Weeoooooo is supposedly going to be a smidge ahead of the current machines

or, you know, just 20% behind X720 - depending on which random nonsense one choses to believe.
Yeah that's not happening with a company as maddeningly conservative as the one we're talking about here.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
::)

I feel like 3DS is pretty competitive. They could have skimped on a lot but they didn't. Instead of only being a step up over DS it's a definite step up over PSP as well.

Damian79

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »
Yeah that's not happening with a company as maddeningly conservative as the one we're talking about here.

Yeah they are in the business to make money.  I believe they want to get to that $250 price tag as quickly as possible.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
It’s not good times over at THQ headquarters, which expected to spend today’s quarterly earnings all pumping its fists about the great sales of WWE 12 and Saints Row: The Third, and instead had to explain how uDraw turned into a monstrously bad bet for it.

THQ is sitting on no less than 1.4 million unsold uDraw tablets. The success of uDraw on Wii convinced THQ it could see similar results on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. That wasn’t the case.

“Unfortunately, we were wrong,” said THQ CEO Brian Farrell.

That’s an understatement.

Here are the most interesting bits I jotted down from today’s call:

THQ lost roughly $30 million on their high-definition uDraw bet.
Confidence was misplaced on uDraw, but it was a catalyst to “evaluate our business from top to bottom.”
THQ has ceased production of uDraw hardware, has a plan to move the rest of the units through retail channels, but has no further plans for uDraw.
The plan is to now “transform THQ into a smaller, more agile entertainment company.”
Looking toward the future, it “intends to launch new franchises as future platforms are introduced.”
Saints Row: The Third represents largest “owned IP” launch in THQ history.
uDraw was approximately $100M below expectations.
THQ’s quarterly earnings would have doubled without uDraw in the mix.
THQ is going “to be a smaller company,” and next year, net sales should be “roughly half.”
Darksiders was not marketed aggressively enough, but Darksiders 2 will “build on the quality of the experience,” and THQ hopes to elevate the brand into a “mass market event” by doubling marketing.
Characterized Metro: Last Light as a sequel to a game that was a “high quality title that had very limited marketing,” and delaying the sequel to “fully realize the value of this hidden gem to enhance and polish the gameplay.” Also, way more marketing.
Homefront ultimately shipped nearly 3 million copies, and sold 1 million in its first week.
THQ said Homefront’s online consumer experience “suffered from technical issues.”
The upcoming Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millenium Online is a game where THQ has to be “realistic about [their] resources” and is seeking a partner to work on the game with.
uDraw was meant to be a bridge to “core to digital future” and turned to be a “plank.”
THQ now has “very realistic expectations” (read: lower) for future sales of games.
As for Patrice Désilets next game, he’s still in “early pre-production on his project,” and there will be more detail on that “at the right time, but he’s “pleased with progress at building the team.”
In addition to collaborating on the MMO, Relic is “highly focused on RTS.”
As for the future of Saints Row, Volition is “dedicated to the Saints Row franchise.”

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/tidbits-from-todays-unhappy-thq-earning-call/3961/

Bebpo

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Honestly that's a fairly re-assuring list of points.  Makes it feel like Saints Row 4 is safe (although also makes it feel like Violition is now stuck doing nothing but SR games for the rest of their career), that Darksiders 2 will get a good marketing push, that Metro 2 will be fine, and that Patrice's game is still going to be made.

Only downside is that the MMO sounds like it's in trouble for sure.  But since I don't play MMOs I'm not as bothered by that.

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »
Only downside is that the MMO sounds like it's in trouble for sure.  But since I don't play MMOs I'm not as bothered by that.

All MMOs that aren't called WOW are in trouble.
野球

pilonv1

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
uDraw was approximately $100M below expectations.

Who set that forecast?
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »
Sounds like a dream machine :hyper
cat