Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1202422 times)

archnemesis

Re: Sales Talk Thread of Don't Diss Sales Talk, You Lamers
« Reply #2280 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:11 AM »
What other popular Japanese franchise would you suggest they moneyhat?

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #2281 on: January 08, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »
What is going to be even funnier is when MH5 is revealed as an iOS exclusive in 2014 and all the "fans" from all side decide they hated it anyways
O=X

Tasty

« Reply #2282 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:23 AM »
What other popular Japanese franchise would you suggest they moneyhat?

Something that makes most of its sales on consoles. Like Yakuza or something, lol.

They already got a Tales but I guess they didn't see that as a success or something.

Tasty

« Reply #2283 on: January 08, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
What is going to be even funnier is when MH5 is revealed as an iOS exclusive in 2014 and all the "fans" from all side decide they hated it anyways

If Apple ponies up and makes something like the Circle Pad Pro I probably wouldn't mind. Only, it'd have to have all the controls, lol.

archnemesis

« Reply #2284 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:08 AM »
I'm not sure the Japanese audience will fall for a timed exclusive Tales game again. They're perceived as being beta versions of the Playstation games.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #2285 on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
It's pretty simple - if MS want to take Japan they have to go in all guns blazing and secure all the big title sand force/frog march the gutter dwelling Japanese to the glorious dew filled pastures of Next Gen.

Reality : 4DS in 2025 slightly less powerful than the Vita breaks all sales records - ports of GC games top charts
O=X

Tasty

« Reply #2286 on: January 08, 2013, 07:42:52 AM »
Also, if MS got MH, would that be only home console exclusivity? Because even Capcom isn't dumb enough to stop making the handheld games.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2287 on: January 08, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Why do japanese people like handhelds so much? Why not play on mobiles?

When did the country become technologically backwards?

Why did they stop pushing tech?

Why is Korea LG/Samsung > Sony now?

Tasty

« Reply #2288 on: January 08, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »
That's actually kind of offensive.

This is Lager you're talking to. ::)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2289 on: January 08, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
MS exclusivity window is as convincing a theory as anything I've thought of, guess it could be that. Hmm...

Bayonetta did alright, but on Wii U they'll both do worse.

Hmm, I dunno. Bayo 2 I can see doing well, Nintendo's usually a good publisher if anything else.

Bayonetta 2 is going to do worse being on one system.  Its target audience is PS3/360 owners who played the first game, enjoyed it enough to buy the second, and went on to buy a WiiU. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2290 on: January 08, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

In sorry Japan used to be regarded as the future, now the hottest tech is coming from korea.

What is offensive about what ive said? Its just an observation.

I dont that between the stagnant economy of the past 20 years and this kind of stuff im alone in this observation.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2291 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »
they're playing on handhelds instead of mobiles because they have some sense of taste + quality (I'm an expert)

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2292 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »

In sorry Japan used to be regarded as the future, now the hottest tech is coming from korea.

I dont that between the stagnant economy of the past 20 years and this kind of stuff im alone in this observation.

korea has pretty much replaced japan wholesale as the official exotic eastern fantasy land for disenfranchised westerners.

japan has a very 90s ring to it by comparison. i guess once korea developed the surgical artistry to create a gattica race of impossibly perfect looking people, it was only a matter of time.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2293 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »
Well Japan was in deep trouble in the 90's, the last decade wasn't that amazing either no?

I love you too Oscar. I just speak my mind, a very dutch trait sorry.

Please understand

http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/2011/05/28/dutch-directness/

This list would not be complete if we did not discuss the elephant in the room: Dutch directness. Now you’ve heard the rumours, the stereotypes, the hearsay, and the clichés -and I’m here to tell you, that like the majority of gossip, they are, in fact…all absolutely true! Dutch people are direct. Direct to the point of shocking at times. Direct to the point of “what the f@#$ did he just say to me?!?. If you plan to spend any times in the lowlands you had better get used to it, and fast!

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2294 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
oscar dont mind him he supports ajax he is born stupid
USA

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2295 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
3-1

korea has pretty much replaced japan wholesale as the official exotic eastern fantasy land for disenfranchised westerners.

japan has a very 90s ring to it by comparison. i guess once korea developed the surgical artistry to create a gattica race of impossibly perfect looking people, it was only a matter of time.

So you mean this perception is cultural and koreas rise opposite to japan is overrated?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2296 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
I dont see how it's possible for anyone to hate ajax.

On a personal note, I love mon hun very much but I'm also very much sick of Nintendo so I'm at a crossroads about biting the bullet. I'm leaning towards just letting the series go as I'm not going to put up with the circus of shit that is Nintendo would be a sad thing but eh I dont want to <<buy everything and complain later>> this gen. That being said, with so many shitty consoles out there absorbing money away from games/companies I care about it's not long before it all implodes and I pack it in to become a fat bearded PC only gamer.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2297 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/digital-up-pre-owned-down-as-gamestop-reports-4-6-sales-drop/0108976

Global games retailer GameStop has fared better than the overall games market by posting a sales drop of just 4.6 per cent for the nine weeks ending December 29th.

Global sales for the period were $2.88bn. Like-for-like sales fell 4.4 per cent, with the US declining 3.5 per cent and international falling 6.4 per cent.

Hardware sales in the period fell 2.7 per cent despite 320,000 Wii U unit sales. New game software sales dipped 5.1 per cent while pre-owned nosedived by 15.6 per cent – a number GameStop blames on “limited inventory due to fewer new titles released throughout 2012 and less promotional activity negatively impacted sales compared to last year”.

Digital sales were the exception, however, climbing over 40 per cent. Global e-commerce sales were up 20.5 per cent.

GameStop has changed fourth quarter predictions from between -7.0 per cent and -4.0 per cent to between -9.0 per cent and -7.5 per cent.

“GameStop experienced mixed results during the holiday selling period. Our successful Wii U launch, strong digital growth and continued momentum in the mobile space were countered by a decline in store traffic,” CEO Paul Raines stated.

GameStop's sales report includes the nine weeks leading up to 29th December last year, although Wii U sales will only cover the six weeks since the US launch on 18th November, and then in Europe and Australia since the 30th.
cat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2298 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
So you mean this perception is cultural and koreas rise opposite to japan is overrated?
Japan is on the cutting edge and creates a lot of tech while Korea takes tech from elsewhere and bundles it with a free night with one of the girls generation to facilitate their palms being greased. At least that's my perception of the matter, Korean "advancement" feels more like a clever advertising campaign to me than actual sweat and elbow grease.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2299 on: January 08, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Japan is on the cutting edge and creates a lot of tech while Korea takes tech from elsewhere and bundles it with a free night with one of the girls generation to facilitate their palms being greased. At least that's my perception of the matter, Korean "advancement" feels more like a clever advertising campaign to me than actual sweat and elbow grease.

yeah, i'm not saying that korea has the better product, but they have a much slicker marketing campaign leading to a greater pop culture resonance. esports and plastic kpop goddesses instead of arcades and anime schoolgirls.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2300 on: January 08, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Thats a spot on assessment

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2301 on: January 08, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
This line of thinking might have some merit.

But LG being the first one out with a 3D phone, dual core phone, first OLED tv is not a marketing thing. Neither is Samsungs dominance with the Galaxy line or its HDTVS when they popped up. Whats happened to Panasonic, Sanyo etc? Have they moved into other stuff (like Philips that has moved into medical appliences).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:31:58 PM by Premium Lager »

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #2302 on: January 08, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/digital-up-pre-owned-down-as-gamestop-reports-4-6-sales-drop/0108976

Global games retailer GameStop has fared better than the overall games market by posting a sales drop of just 4.6 per cent for the nine weeks ending December 29th.

Global sales for the period were $2.88bn. Like-for-like sales fell 4.4 per cent, with the US declining 3.5 per cent and international falling 6.4 per cent.

Hardware sales in the period fell 2.7 per cent despite 320,000 Wii U unit sales. New game software sales dipped 5.1 per cent while pre-owned nosedived by 15.6 per cent – a number GameStop blames on “limited inventory due to fewer new titles released throughout 2012 and less promotional activity negatively impacted sales compared to last year”.

Digital sales were the exception, however, climbing over 40 per cent. Global e-commerce sales were up 20.5 per cent.

GameStop has changed fourth quarter predictions from between -7.0 per cent and -4.0 per cent to between -9.0 per cent and -7.5 per cent.

“GameStop experienced mixed results during the holiday selling period. Our successful Wii U launch, strong digital growth and continued momentum in the mobile space were countered by a decline in store traffic,” CEO Paul Raines stated.

GameStop's sales report includes the nine weeks leading up to 29th December last year, although Wii U sales will only cover the six weeks since the US launch on 18th November, and then in Europe and Australia since the 30th.

320.000 units sold???

But people preordered 500.000 units

180k canceled preorders 

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2303 on: January 08, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
People do that sometimes.
cat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #2304 on: January 08, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »

320.000 units sold???

But people preordered 500.000 units

180k canceled preorders 

GameStop has 1.2 million preorders for Wii U games, and that's for the 500,000 consoles they were allocated. That's 2.4 games for every console, double the preorder numbers the Wii saw.
Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/gamestop-wii-u-preorders-1-2m-games-for-500-000-systems-238689.phtml#BqEu9zftdqbQ5Txd.99

allocated isn't sold.
itm

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2305 on: January 08, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
they assault you with WiiU stuff at the store near me.  Door is plastered with "WiiU in stock!"  Then there's a table with a bunch of WiiU stuff in front, a bunch of displays, all shoved in a tiny spot.  From my one store, I extrapolate that the entire corporation is desperately trying to sell them.

treythemovie

« Reply #2306 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:40 PM »
they assault you with WiiU stuff at the store near me.  Door is plastered with "WiiU in stock!"  Then there's a table with a bunch of WiiU stuff in front, a bunch of displays, all shoved in a tiny spot.  From my one store, I extrapolate that the entire corporation is desperately trying to sell them.
The more systems sold of any variety, the better it is for Gamestop. They suffer just as much as the console manufacturer if a system flops since their business is centered wholly around video games with no diversification. They need hardware sales to go up across the board.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #2307 on: January 08, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »

Most of the displays in gamestop are paid positions.
itm

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #2308 on: January 08, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2309 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
I appreciate that you would make long detailed posts whereas I am too lazy to.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2310 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »
Thanks for that write up.

I know the Japanese commute stuff is being brought up so much, but how long are these commutes? I mean Japan is not the only country where people commute. Phone batteries aren't THAT bad anymore, I can def play for an hour or two and have battery left. Esp considering that at work youre not using your phone I think.

Are you serious bout the fax machines? :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:03:48 AM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2311 on: January 09, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
3G is a bitch yes and it kills my phone too super quick. 2 hours each way... thats like crossing half of the netherlands  :lol

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2312 on: January 09, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

3DS LL   156,184
3DS   123,075
Wii U   67,083
PS3   64,352
PSP   54,873
Vita   33,309
Wii   5,632
Xbox 360   1,893

01./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 133.134 / 2.103.089 (-17%)
02./03. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 90.264 / 1.834.055 (+38%)
03./04. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 68.262 / 470.394 (+16%)
04./07. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone - Neppuu / Raimei <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.13} (¥5.500) - 51.519 / 365.536 (+1%)
05./06. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 50.319 / 419.710 (-12%)
06./02. [3DS] Fantasy Life <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800) - 42.291 / 159.361 (-64%)
07./09. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935) - 41.426 / 250.473 (-6%)
08./05. [PSP] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.20} (¥5.980) - 40.137 / 264.739 (-30%)
09./12. [3DS] Magician's Quest: Magical Town <ETC> (Konami) {2012.12.20} (¥4.980) - 38.986 / 119.735 (+33%)
10./17. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 35.624 / 373.096 (+72%)
11./11. [3DS] Pokèmon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokèmon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800) - 35.190 / 408.889 (+10%)
12./00. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 34.529 / 375.062
13./15. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 32.007 / 155.601 (+25%)
14./20. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 30.291 / 1.939.257 (+63%)
15./00. [3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980) - 30.235 / 249.689
16./08. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.20} (¥8.190) - 29.180 / 194.157 (-40%)
17./13. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 28.001 / 349.960 (+6%)
18./10. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 26.631 / 544.855 (-31%)
19./00. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.09.27} (¥4.800) - 23.172 / 282.642
20./00. [3DS] Kobito Zukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2012.07.26} (¥5.040) - 21.110 / 226.888

WiiU lol
ninthings are not happy with Vita sales
3DS :bow2
PSP :bow2
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2313 on: January 09, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
Vita's totally trouncing Wii60.  fuk yeh

VITA OUTSELLS XBOX 360 BY APPROXIMATELY 330%

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Sales Talk Thread of Don't Diss Sales Talk, You Lamers
« Reply #2314 on: January 09, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
I'm surprised the OG 3DS is still selling so well. I thought more sales would convert to XL by now, considering how popular the DSiXL was.
Unzip

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2315 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »
PS3 will overtake WiiU next week.

Ds family is doing good.

Vita  :'(

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2316 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »
i'm trying to think of a home console that had less to offer in its time than the wiiU and my list runs cold after the CDi.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2317 on: January 09, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
Jaguar/3DO/Virtual Boy

Even Wii had Zelda, but if you look back at it, it looked the same as the GCN one, thats just laughable  :lol

Here is a next gen launch title, looking same as last gen title.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2318 on: January 09, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
I owned a panasonic 3D0 and spent shit loads playing Gex, that one egyptian flight game, and the great port of super street fighter 2 turbo !
USA

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2319 on: January 09, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
if someone gave me a 3DO in 1993, i'd let them do whatever they wanted to me and hope to repress the memory when i grew up.

if someone gave me a wiiU in 2012, i'd punch them in the mouth.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:42:54 PM by headwalk »

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2320 on: January 09, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
3DO had Naughty Dog support

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2321 on: January 09, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »

Street Fighter who??
©@©™

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2322 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
when i rented a 3DO system from Blockbuster, that was the game I got with it, cause I liked anything that resembled MK at the time.

my curiosity had been sated after that. :lol 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2323 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
3do is that system i really really wanted to try as a kid. It was so next gen.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2324 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
I remember that I just wanted to play SSF2 Turbo on 3D0.  Not much interest in anything else- even the Samurai Shodown port that Crystal Dynamics did sucked.  It was missing a lot of animation and for whatever reason used the PCM soundtrack instead of the arranged soundtrack.

I finally got a used 3D0 cheap in 1997 with Super Turbo.  The lack of Parallax didn't really bother me, but the game pads sucked.  Then Capcom announced the SF2 Collection that had Super Turbo and Alpha 2 Gold.  Returned the 3D0 the next day.

I think 3D0 was at it saddest in 1996, when they stopped getting third party games and used the excuse that they just wanted to release original content.  Too bad it all sucked hard.

(Image removed from quote.)

Street Fighter who??

:yuck

All those Mortal Kombat clones sucked so bad.  I guess this was still better than Kasumi Ninja.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:15:56 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2325 on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
I spent a lot of time on Fidonet/Usenet message boards back then. It was pretty sad to see all the people that were vesting all their faith into the M2 being a savior.

Although not as sad as the Jaguar fans that held up Tempest 2000 as the game that was going to turn sales back around.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2326 on: January 09, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »
The 3DO was strangely popular in Saudi. I know people to this day who claim its a better system than the PSX  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I own a Panasonic 3DO and spent an obscene amount of time playing Gex when I was younger  :-[
[close]

I can attest to this. It was almost as prevalent as the genesis and snes at one point. I wonder how much it cost at the time compared to the other systems, what's with the bullshit markups we had to deal with.
Unzip

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2327 on: January 09, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
I spent a lot of time on Fidonet/Usenet message boards back then. It was pretty sad to see all the people that were vesting all their faith into the M2 being a savior.

Although not as sad as the Jaguar fans that held up Tempest 2000 as the game that was going to turn sales back around.

wow, the more things change.  it's hard to view any of those systems as defensible in any form. 

the only thing they had going for them was mystique because nobody owned one, so you never saw it in real life, and you only saw overhyped previews in game magazines that were almost like some guys bragging they got to play it.  :lol

« Reply #2328 on: January 09, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
There was a kid in my grade who had a Jaguar and a NEO-GEO. My buddy and I got to play them a couple times, we felt so incredibly lucky. Same kid was also the only person I knew who had the Sega Channel.

Also, 80s/90s Usenet console warriors were even better than their current day brethren since we had less information available to us.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #2329 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
I always wanted a neo geo.  If I were my age in the 90s, I would've made so many unwise purchases.  Conversely, if I were young in 2012, I wouldn't have a wii u, and a 3DS or Vita instead of both, if my parents were feeling generous.

and for old usenet console war shenanigans, check out this old gaf thread that collected choice quotes: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482425

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2330 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
If I remember correctly it was the most expensive out of all of them by a longshot, and Saudi opinion dictates that it's better cause of it. I remember that my cousins were still trying to convince me that the 3DO has better graphics than the first XBox when I bought it cause it had full motion games like Mad Dog.  :lol Which they attributed to the graphics engine :rofl

Also Saudi was Sega land until the Playstation dropped. The only time it was ever Nintendo was with the NES, and judging by the people I know who do game it's still more of a Sony place with some Xfags here and there.

When I bought the PSX early during that generation, I started showing it off like any kid would do not to mention throwing around terms I didn't fully comprehend at the time, like "3 dimensional graphics."

One of my cousins pushed back one day with "Tekken has 3 dimensional graphics?! Mortal Kombat for the 3DO has 8 dimensional graphics!!" I tried to remain calm and unfazed but in my head I was going "HOLY SHIT I'M SCREWED!"

Kids. Smh.
Unzip

« Reply #2331 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »
I remember seeing a NEO-GEO and 3 games at a Goodwill back in the early 90s. It was still crazy expensive, but I tried so hard to convince my parents that it was worth it. :lol
野球

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2332 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
I have a copy of the box art for Night Trap for the 3D0 in my basement. I've never owned the game or anything, no idea how it ended in my house.  ???
USA

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2333 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
I wish i was at my folks home now I would hook you guys up with some scans from my huge collection of 90's mags. Project reality rumours, fake cgi shots of m2, cd32 hitting the stores, ads for the atari lynx

Love flipping through those old mags every few years. Got at least 200 between 92/00 I think.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2334 on: January 09, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »
I have a copy of the box art for Night Trap for the 3D0 in my basement. I've never owned the game or anything, no idea how it ended in my house.  ???

Night Trap came out for the 3do too? Sega cd betrayalton.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2335 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
Did anyone own a CD32?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2336 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:56 PM »
best version was on 3D0. You guys remember that tanks game that was in that pauly shore movie? always wanted to play dat
USA

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2337 on: January 09, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
anyone ever get to try a Virtuality machine? 

i think there was one game where you shot pterodactyls...

i remember game magazines talking them up like they might be the future.  Each machine cost $60,000 and had 3 games with the most rudimentary 3D graphics possible. 

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/virtuality.html

People used to be a lot more fixated on making games realistic and as literally immersive as possible.  It was always about "when will graphics be indistinguishable from real life."  I suppose we're still sort of headed in that direction, but it's not like the absolute pinnacle of graphic design...it's just realism.  Just like realistic paintings are often just kinda whatever.

But as a kid, I'd hear about stuff like this or the Jaguar being 64 MOTHERFUCKING BITS WOOWWWWWW and my mind would race over what it looked like :lol 

« Reply #2338 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
anyone ever get to try a Virtuality machine? 

(Image removed from quote.)

i think there was one game where you shot pterodactyls...

i remember game magazines talking them up like they might be the future.  Each machine cost $60,000 and had 3 games with the most rudimentary 3D graphics possible. 

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/virtuality.html

People used to be a lot more fixated on making games realistic and as literally immersive as possible.  It was always about "when will graphics be indistinguishable from real life."  I suppose we're still sort of headed in that direction, but it's not like the absolute pinnacle of graphic design...it's just realism.  Just like realistic paintings are often just kinda whatever.

I got to play one of those at some upscale arcade in San Francisco in 1994 or 1995. It was really odd and my neck hurt when I was done.
野球

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2339 on: January 09, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »
Always wanted to try one. My shitty podunk arcade back in the day had one of those Time Trotter hologram machines and I thought THTAT would be the future.
USA