Author Topic: The Pinball Arcade Platform (Get em before they are gone. License lost)  (Read 38480 times)

G The Resurrected

Re: The Pinball Arcade Platform (Now on Steam)
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2013, 04:01:28 AM »
Other than that it seems pretty darn good and the best thing about the PC version is that it'll still be around 10 years down the line for however long they keep adding tables.  I think I'm going to cut losses on PS3 version and buy the season packs on PC and play it here.  I wonder if I get the PS4 tables free if I had the PS3 tables?  That might convince me to wait a month and see how the PS4 version compares.

They are planning on doing half off deals for those that have it on PS3 and wish to purchase it for PS4. So I say PC is the way to go, they also have support for some custom controllers as well. My homemade setup works fine the plunge is accurate and everything.

Bebpo

« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
Had a really good Arabian Nights run.  82 million.  That's such a great table.  Probably my favorite out of the original Williams HD game.

Bebpo

« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
Ended up giving in and getting the PS4 version of Season 1.  I think my plan is to main on PC (pick up seasons during sales) but also play on PS4 for the "cool lighting"

Pros of PS4 version:
+3 lighting modes:  A) Neutral - Looks kind of like the PC version but a little more bland low-contrast/color looking.  Don't see the point usually.  B) Dark - nighttime mode with the lights from the game illuminating everything.  This isn't mind-blowing or anything but it can be pretty fun and is the preferred way I'm playing a lot of the tables like Black Holes.  3) BRIGHT - Very high contrast/colorful - Looks like the PC versions but with a blast of contrast/color to make it look more like the IOS version.  I think PC looks better here, but this is pretty close and good for stages that don't look great dark and you want to see.

+Controls are fine.  THOUGH I ALREADY BUSTED MY FREAKING $60 DUAL SHOCK 4 PLAYING THIS.  All that clicking L1/R1 has made my R1 start sticking and I'm afraid it'll only get worse and the controller will be useless.  Gonna see if I can return it since it's only like 33 days since launch.  Probably can't; sigh modern hardware. 

+Looks & Runs good no lag.  No lag or minimal, looks 1080/60fps.

CONS:
-The sound is fucking awful.  Apparently they accidently had it use the sound files from the compressed IOS version so you get like 8-bit audio lol.  It's really bad and I'm keeping the sound low for now.  They say they'll patch this back to normal soon.

-No rumble/vibration.  Coming from the PC version with a X360 controller it's noticable and does hurt the immersion and feel of the controls.  Again they are aware and will patch this.

-Leaderboards are terrible.  Can't filter by friendslist...but guess what?  You can't in the PC version either so they both lose and there's no win here.  Fucking BS!  Half the fun of Pinball is comparing scores with your friends and trying to beat their highest scores.

-Can't customize controls.  This doesn't bother me, but apparently some people want to use the triggers for the flippers.  Farsight is aware and will patch this in.

-Menus/interface - the same and still sucks
-Glitches - same old, same old.   Only had one minor one on TOTAN where it didn't realize I'd already done the skill shot and was playing the game, but w/e we are used to this here.

It's fun and a solid alternative to the PC version.  If they ever patch the lighting modes in the PC version I'll drop the PS4 side and stick with PC.  But since I like the game SO MUCH despite all the crap, I don't feel too horrible about double dip supporting them on both PC & PS4.  Well Triple Dip for like $20-30 since I bought the first 5 packs or so on PS3.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
Attack from Mars.................Table Pack 10
Big Shot.........................Table Pack 07
Black Hole.......................Core Table Pack
Black Knight.....................Table Pack 04
Black Knight 2000................Table Pack 23
Black Rose.......................Table Pack 22
Cactus Canyon....................Table Pack 12
Centaur..........................Table Pack 14
Central Park.....................Table Pack 12
Cirqus Voltaire..................Table Pack 02
Class of 1812....................Table Pack 19
Creature from the Black Lagoon...Table Pack 04
Cue Ball Wizard..................Table Pack 20
Dr. Dude.........................Table Pack 11
El Dorado City of Gold...........Table Pack 20
Elvira and the Party Monsters....Table Pack 06
Firepower........................Table Pack 11
Fish Tales.......................Table Pack 21
Flight 2000......................Table Pack 16
Funhouse.........................Table Pack 02
Genie............................Table Pack 10
Goin' Nuts.......................Table Pack 16
Gorgar...........................Table Pack 03
Harley-Davidson® (3rd Edition)...Table Pack 05
Haunted House....................Table Pack 18
High Speed...........................Table Pack 25
Junk Yard...........................Table Pack 26
Medieval Madness.................Table Pack 01
Monster Bash.....................Table Pack 03
No Good Gofers...................Table Pack 06
PIN•BOT..........................Table Pack 14
Ripley's Believe It or Not!®.....Core Table Pack
Scared Stiff.....................Table Pack 07
Space Shuttle....................Table Pack 13
Star Trek: The Next Generation...Table Pack 09
Tales of the Arabian Nights......Core Table Pack
Taxi.............................Table Pack 05
Tee'd Off........................Table Pack 18
Terminator 2: Judgment Day.......Table Pack 17
The Champion Pub.................Table Pack 15
The Machine: Bride of Pin•bot....Table Pack 01
Theatre of Magic.................Core Table Pack
Twilight Zone....................Table Pack 08
Victory..........................Table Pack 19
Whirlwind........................Table Pack 15
White Water......................Table Pack 13
WHO dunnit.......................Table Pack 24

Up to 47 tables now.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: The Pinball Arcade Platform
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2014, 03:44:13 AM »
I met one of the Farsight dudes at PAX East and told him I wanted some MOTHERFUCKIN FUTURE SPA

God damn it why isn't the future like this yet, it's bullshit

Stoney Mason

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: The Pinball Arcade Platform (The Addams Family now on kickstarter)
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
they have to change it a bit because they can't get christopher lloyd's likeness rights, but whaaaatever i don't care at this point

:what
sup

G The Resurrected

« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
Yeah apparently it wasn't Julia's estate that was the problem. I backed even though I haven't gotten any tables the platform of my choice.

Bebpo

« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »
They've fucked this game up so much that it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and even though I dig the table I don't want to give them money.  The fact that a 3/4ths of a year later they still haven't patched the PS4 version's sound that was broken at launch and they were aware of it in a "oops we accidently used the mobile version's sound files for the PS4 version audio" way..yeah, .very few things in gaming really irk me the wrong way but this is one of them.  They need to make amends with their audience before I give them any money.

Bebpo

« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
Fair enough.  I mean if there's 15 seconds left on the kickstarter and it was $20 to the goal, I'd give them $20.  Just I figure they'll make it or not without me and if they make it I'd rather pick up the table for $4 eventually since it means giving them less money.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2014, 08:00:02 PM »
Crossed the goal.

Still 5 days left.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
It looks like the next table for Season 4 is The Party Zone, and the next four after that are Addams Family (obviously), Starship Troopers, Earthshaker and The Getaway: High Speed II.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1764
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=753
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4341
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1000

Just the latter alone has me throwing my money at the computer monitor. Nothing's happening, though...

G The Resurrected

« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
hmm

Sega pins via Stern no doubt? If so this means I'll get my digital Baywatch table someday.

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
hmm

Sega pins via Stern no doubt? If so this means I'll get my digital Baywatch table someday.
Depends on how much money The Hoff asks, I suppose. I want Viper Night Drivin'.

Freyj

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
This Ghostbusters virtual currency thing is bullshit.

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
Well, we know the next three Season 4 tables. Earthshaker any moment now, Starship Troopers in January, Addams Family in February.

Judging from the leak a few months ago, this means that The Getaway: High Speed II should be March. It's going to be a long-ass three months, but there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Now hopefully Red and Ted's Road Show is coming soon...

Bebpo

« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
Holy shit they finally patched the PS4 version sound issue.  Now it has normal sound + great lighting and plays great.  I can finally feel comfortable picking up all the seasons on it.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
When is the season complete? I haven't bought any of this season's tables because you can't buy the season in advance for a discount because of Apple policy.

Bebpo

« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »
No idea.  It looks like S4 just started with 3 tables on Steam/iOS and 1 on PS4 so far.  Gonna be 10 tables total like S3.

archie4208

« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
DX11 patch for PC when?  :fbm

archie4208

« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
I can't be.ieve they fucking released Red and Teds Road Show!!!!

Holy shit, my favorite pin of all time and it's now mine.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
I haven't tried any of the newer tables. I should give them a go.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
Yea, I kind of lost track during season 2. But I caught the Red and Ted release on a news blurb and had to have it.

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2015, 01:34:01 AM »
The only one left that I want to see now is The Getaway: High Speed II. It sounds like it won't be the one to wrap up season 4, so hopefully it starts season 5.

Bebpo

« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »
YO EVERYONE, EMERGENCY ALERT BUMP

TPA is losing 62 tables (the bulk of them) on June 30th across all Platforms. Williams/Bally is not renewing their license and it expires on the 30th. If you own their tables before 6/30/18 you can re-download them forever as long as the online platforms exist (and maybe Farsight will need to as well... since stuff is server based which is scary).

There won't be any further discounts because it's in the contract they have with Williams/Bally that they can't discount their tables any further.

This goes all the way through the recent Season 7, and lots of tables are disappearing. Pretty much all the best tables too. So after 6/30/18 anyone new to TPA will see a barren wasteland and the game is gonna die (which is why Farsight and their servers going bye is a serious consideration).

Someone on Era said if you buy the season pass DLCs it gets registered to your steam account instead of to your Farsight account like individual tables do. I don't know if this means that if Farsight dies you can still get all the tables and base game from Steam and play offline or not. Likewise-no idea how it works on other platforms. IOS is probably the most dangerous since give a few ios updates and the game will break and it'll be up to Farsight to keep it working.

This is total shit and a huge disaster for digital Pinball preservation.

So if you haven't gotten some of the latter seasons and want to play some of these tables at some point, get ready to spend $100-$300 catching up before 6/30/18

Sho Nuff

« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
WHOA HOA HOA. Holy fuckin shit. This is real bad for Farsight. Yes a lot of TPA on the consoles was a clusterfuck but they were getting it done/preserved. Fuck fuck fuck. Not sure what to do, I don't trust them to keep the lights on so it's not like I'm gonna go back and buy the later seasons, but....

Stoney Mason

« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
Unfortunate as I would have liked them to go on forever, but at least the work done so far will not go away ala piracy and such. But yeah it was great to have a legitimate and ongoing source for this stuff. This is why capitalism doesn't work!

Bebpo

« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
Yeah, I spent the last 3 hours debating what to do (own S1 or S2 on PS3 and S1-S4 on PS4) and ended up pulling the urgghhhh painful trigger of spending $200 on steam to buy S1-S7 just because it feels like from a preservation perspective that's the best bet to always having access to these tables for the rest of my life. Plus one of these days I really should buy a rotating monitor and then I can play these tate on the steam version so that's cool too. I seem to have some minor performance issues in DX11 but I'm sure I'll work them out.

This whole situation really really really sucks though.

My guess is Williams/Ballys going to take the rights back and put out some mobile junky thing to try to get more profit out of the licenses.

*edit* Although I agree that yeah the pirated versions are probably the eventual final safeguard if all else fails.

Bebpo

« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
Actually, thinking about it I wonder if the Pinball FX2/Zen guys that are way more successful & know how to run a business courted Williams/Ballys to do some official licensed tables for their platform.

I guess we'll see after the license expires.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »
Actually, thinking about it I wonder if the Pinball FX2/Zen guys that are way more successful & know how to run a business courted Williams/Ballys to do some official licensed tables for their platform.

That would only make me  :maf

I don't trust those guys to make a good traditional pinball game.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
Agreed, their physics have never, ever felt good.

Akala

• Easy Victor
Argh this sucks. Not feeling paying these guys any more money but have been in wait for huge sale mode forever cause vita and PS3 are cool and all but...

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
Argh this sucks. Not feeling paying these guys any more money but have been in wait for huge sale mode forever cause vita and PS3 are cool and all but...

Farsight was asked if they were going to do a fire sale for WMS stuff and they said they would like to but they literally can't due to the license agreement.

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
YO EVERYONE, EMERGENCY ALERT BUMP

TPA is losing 62 tables (the bulk of them) on June 30th across all Platforms. Williams/Bally is not renewing their license and it expires on the 30th. If you own their tables before 6/30/18 you can re-download them forever as long as the online platforms exist (and maybe Farsight will need to as well... since stuff is server based which is scary).

There won't be any further discounts because it's in the contract they have with Williams/Bally that they can't discount their tables any further.

This goes all the way through the recent Season 7, and lots of tables are disappearing. Pretty much all the best tables too. So after 6/30/18 anyone new to TPA will see a barren wasteland and the game is gonna die (which is why Farsight and their servers going bye is a serious consideration).

Someone on Era said if you buy the season pass DLCs it gets registered to your steam account instead of to your Farsight account like individual tables do. I don't know if this means that if Farsight dies you can still get all the tables and base game from Steam and play offline or not. Likewise-no idea how it works on other platforms. IOS is probably the most dangerous since give a few ios updates and the game will break and it'll be up to Farsight to keep it working.

This is total shit and a huge disaster for digital Pinball preservation.

So if you haven't gotten some of the latter seasons and want to play some of these tables at some point, get ready to spend $100-$300 catching up before 6/30/18

And yes, btw, as far as Steam is concerned it is tied to your Steam account and all the data is kept on Steam's download servers.. even games that get pulled from the store can still be downloaded if you own it.

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #215 on: May 23, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
Yeah, I spent the last 3 hours debating what to do (own S1 or S2 on PS3 and S1-S4 on PS4) and ended up pulling the urgghhhh painful trigger of spending $200 on steam to buy S1-S7 just because it feels like from a preservation perspective that's the best bet to always having access to these tables for the rest of my life. Plus one of these days I really should buy a rotating monitor and then I can play these tate on the steam version so that's cool too. I seem to have some minor performance issues in DX11 but I'm sure I'll work them out.

This whole situation really really really sucks though.

My guess is Williams/Ballys going to take the rights back and put out some mobile junky thing to try to get more profit out of the licenses.

*edit* Although I agree that yeah the pirated versions are probably the eventual final safeguard if all else fails.

You can also use the PC version in a virtual cabinet setting as well if you want to get really fancy down the line :)

about what WMS will do, but I get a feeling it will not be good..

Bebpo

Been playing the game a lot more lately because of this. Despite all the issues along the way, this is still some damn good pinball and most of the tables look great. Working on my wizard goalssss.

G The Resurrected

Re: The Pinball Arcade Platform (Get em before they are gone. License lost)
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2018, 04:45:57 PM »
Got a response about the future and things look bleaker than anyone imagined. Servers are going to die on June 30th if they can't work out an agreement about their technologies working with the licensed content that expires. Meaning all leaderboards will stop updating on this date most likely since they can't separate the content from their technology.

RIP

Sho Nuff

« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2018, 06:19:23 PM »
I tried this on Nintendo Switch today.

GAME: Enter your initials for the leaderboards
COLIN: CMW
GAME: Sorry, this is already taken.
COLIN: COL
COLIN: WTF

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2018, 07:36:48 PM »
I have a ton of tables on PS3, debating on grabbing a few on PS4 or if PC is safer option.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Sick of playing Funhouse but CIRQUS VOLTAIRE AHHHHHHHHHH

:bow :bow :bow :bow (Image removed from quote.) :bow2 :bow2  :bow2  :bow2

I hit the last unread button and got this  :'( :'(

I bought all the tables last month tho

Bebpo

« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »
Been playing this a lot more again since I picked up all the table packs. Motivated to try to at least get the basic goals for every table I never got to (basically everything after S2) and learn them. Starting with the older stuff because usually the goals a little simpler. Just finished all the wizard goals on Xenon and that was a fun bullshit table. I like it, but there is so much auto-bumper, ball shooter stuff going around your control over the table is very limited. The hardest goal was hitting the ramp like 10 times in a game for the special, had to get a lot of luck and the hang of ball control.

Had a good game of Taxi after and knocked off some wizard goals on that. I realized I don't really like Taxi because while going around picking up the passengers is fun, there's...nothing to the game after that besides some multi-ball bonuses. Like you can get everyone and hit the jackpot pretty quick and then it just resets and you do it again...and again...and again. Plus I hate the looooooong spinout on pull every.single.shot. I think I'm done with this table even if it's not too frustrating.

Bebpo

« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2018, 05:00:25 AM »
So sometimes I pop this up and just play a random table and go for the standard/wizard goals if I haven't got them. Was doing Space Shuttle and I'd done these standard goals before on PS4, but now doing them, man this table seems like it sucks. Like all the lanes are incredibly hard to land for the ball locks and those bumpers on the side of the spinner lane to light the jet bumpers? It's like every part of this table was built at wtf directions.

Got all the standard ones again outside lighting the inlanes which requires a 5x multiplier on one ball. Still was alotta luck. Definitely prefer Black Hole for my 80s sci-fi table.

archie4208

« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »

Betrayalton :omg

Sho Nuff

« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
Uhhhhhh what the actual fuck

I haven't played PFX in a long time but I hated their physics to death, wonder how this is gonna pan out

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
I'll have to stop in next time I am in Budapest.  :lol

Even more off-topic, for IRL games, WTF is up with these disaster colorized LED screens for the most popular tables? Is it just a lot cheaper? I somehow don't mind additional/brighter LED lighting, but the screen triggered me, it was just blurry and gross, like some bad upres port.  :yuck

Sho Nuff

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
I'll have to stop in next time I am in Budapest.  :lol

Even more off-topic, for IRL games, WTF is up with these disaster colorized LED screens for the most popular tables? Is it just a lot cheaper? I somehow don't mind additional/brighter LED lighting, but the screen triggered me, it was just blurry and gross, like some bad upres port.  :yuck

Yeah, it's just a mod, I get way more offended when you see shit like the Jersey Jack tables that are literally playing movies on a TV on the backboard

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2018, 12:00:48 AM »
I....don't know what I would do in that situation but hope kids wouldn't be around.  :bolo

Sho Nuff

« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2018, 11:17:59 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/pinball-fx3-self-censors-classic-pinball-art-for-lower-esrb-rating/

Looks like they're making a bunch of small changes for ESRB, despite TPA having the same rating. Bummer for the mouth-breathing preservationists such as myself, too bad they didn't have a family-friendly switch that would have satisfied everyone.

archie4208

« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
The good thing about the Williams versions of the FX3 table is there is an option for more realistic physics.  From what little I've played of Fish Tales, they still feel a bit floaty (dunno if that's the right word), but it still feels better than the default physics.

Bebpo

« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »
So got excited to play all my pinball tables in portrait mode monitor at 144fps super silky smooth pinball experience.

...and then found out The Pinball Arcade has physics tied to framerate so the game is hard capped at 60fps
why do devs still tie physics to framerate in videogames  ???

Anyhow, as much as a I hate Pinball FX/Zen group's physics, gonna give it another shot since apparently that one does 144fps no problem.

Still enjoying Pinball Arcade in portrait at 60fps. Though at 1440p monitor can definitely notice the low res assets of some of the tables.