Author Topic: MST3K (+Rifftrax)  (Read 29533 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
MST3K (+Rifftrax)
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »
Tried to search. Hope I'm not the only one in years.

A few classics?!?
Pod People
Prince of Space
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Hobgoblins
Final Sacrifice

RT:
The Bourne Identity
Independence Day
High School Musical*
Daredevil
Twilight

spoiler (click to show/hide)
London Calling is amazing.
[close]

And because I know you want it:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: MST3K (+Rifftrax)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
Radar Secret Service
Anything with Gamera or Godzilla
Time of the Apes
Mitchell
Fugitive Alien
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Wild World of Batwoman

Or I could just name all 197 episodes.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Another fav:

16:15ish:
HAHA! Manslaughter!
[close]

Should post more shorts.
Or I could just name all 197 episodes.
:lol Yes. I left out Manos and Mitchell because I assumed everyone started with those. Then just picked a few instead.

Some of the shorts are beyond amazing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:25:19 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »
Hired! is probably my favorite short of all:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »
There are some decent rifftrax. Birdemic. The Harry Potter movies seem to bring out the best in them. But sadly rifftrax tends to pale in comparison to mst3k. The jokes simply aren't as clever and the references are a bit lazy and too modern.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:43:46 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »
My favorite short.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »
There are some decent rifftrax. Birdemic. The Harry Potter movies seem to bring out the best in then. But sadly rifftrax tends to pale in comparison to mst3k. The jokes simply aren't as clever and the references are a bit lazy and too modern.

Most of the Rifftrax shorts are still great and I do like when they take on older movies [like the recently released Neutron: The Atomic Superman vs. The Death Robots].

But, yeah, it's clear that they don't have the kind of budget they did with MST3K and have less writers. And it's just not quite the same without the silhouettes and the actors playing characters.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
There are some decent rifftrax. Birdemic. The Harry Potter movies seem to bring out the best in then. But sadly rifftrax tends to pale in comparison to mst3k. The jokes simply aren't as clever and the references are a bit lazy and too modern.
Yeah, it's not as good, I like it when all three get together though or so. I've watched a number and struggled to find five. Rise of Planet of the Apes is solid too.

I think the show had everyone (Mary Jo, etc.), and these only have the three or so writing. Though they do a bit of improvising now.

I do like hearing them again. They made me enjoy Avatar.
But, yeah, it's clear that they don't have the kind of budget they did with MST3K and have less writers. And it's just not quite the same without the silhouettes and the actors playing characters.
Beaten.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
It boggles my mind with the proliferation of cable channels that nobody will pay them to do a modern mst3k.

benjipwns

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
You'd think SyFy would be on board with it.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
Favorites:

Time Chasers
Hobgoblins
Boggy Creek II: and The Legend Continues
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Hercules Against The Moon Men
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Soultaker
Future War
Werewolf
Mitchel
Final Justice
Warrior of the Lost World
Touch of Satan
Space Mutiny
Laserblast
Merlins Shop of Mystical Wonders
Master Ninja I
Master Ninja II
Girl in Gold Boots
Angels Revenge
The Final Sacrifice
Godzilla vs Megalon (pulled from DVD sets) :*(
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:16:57 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

benjipwns

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »
Boggy Creek II: and The Legend Continues
Snap into a slim jim!
Touch of Satan
This is where the fish lives!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:14:22 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
My favorite short.

Now, how does someone become, as you say, a housewife?

benjipwns

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Girl in Gold Boots had the most hilarious editing ever
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
#t=1255s
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
The Half in the bag guys at this point are the closest to the spirit of the mst3k guys even though what they do is more about reviews than riffing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »

Rifftrax actually did that whole movie:

dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

My corkboard at work lol- if I ever get moved to a cubicle i'll have wallpaper. I have the little tom/crow/gypsy figures that sold with dvd sets at launch too.
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
MST3K and Domo-kun, a match made in heaven. :bow2
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
I keep this crap at work so I don't look like HUGE NERDFACE anywhere else
o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
The names they kept giving to the protagonist in Space Mutiny always made me crack up.   :lol

Slab Bulkhead
 Fridge Largemeat
   Punt Speedchunk
  Butch Deadlift
   Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
  Flint Ironstag
   Bolt Vanderhuge
  Thick McRunfast
  Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
  Trunk Slamchest
   Fist Rockbone
  Stump Beefgnaw
  Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
   Buck Plankchest
  Stump Chunkman
   Dirk Hardpeck
    Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
   Crud Bonemeal
  Brick Hardmeat
    Rip Sidecheek
  Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
  Slake Fistcrunch
   Buff Hardback
    Bob Johnson
  Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
   Slab Squatthrust
   Lump Beefrock
  Touch Rustrod
   Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
  Smoke Manmuscle
   Beat Punchbeef
   Pack Blowfist
   Roll Fizzlebeef
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:40:06 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Enl

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
The Rifftrax version of Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is quite possibly the best thing they've done since the MST3K years (also it's one of the few rifftrax available on DVD). The film is very much Manos: The Hands of Fate but for children. It may even be worse than Manos since it supports Furry unions.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:06:49 PM by Enl »
mmm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
Rifftrax has a live event coming up next week featuring Manos: The Hands of Fate. Should be great!
dog

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
Werewolf is my favorite. I havent listened to any Rifftrax though.

I was downloading all the MST3K Episodes via warez bb but never finished it. I should though.
USA

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
Rifftrax has a live event coming up next week featuring Manos: The Hands of Fate. Should be great!

And they do it at the theatre two blocks away from me :hyper
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »

dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
The Rifftrax version of Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is quite possibly the best thing they've done since the MST3K years (also it's one of the few rifftrax available on DVD). The film is very much Manos: The Hands of Fate but for children. It may even be worse than Manos since it supports Furry unions.

"Oh Mr. Bird, you're the only wild animal that never tried to marry me."
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »
Watched Riding with Death.

I was actually kinda involved in the film for the first half.

It's apparently two episodes of some TV show mashed together into a "film" with a character who randomly disappears watching half of the second half on a screen. And some guy gets a mustache suddenly in the middle of the movie.  :lol
The names they kept giving to the protagonist in Space Mutiny always made me crack up.   :lol
A friend and I spent a few weeks using these as our Steam names and seeing if anyone on TF2/DoD:S servers would notice them.

About 90% success rate.

Bob Johnson actually got a hit though.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
Riding with death is absolutely one of my favorite episodes. Especially the elusive as roger denby stuff. It's funny how sometimes the plot of the movie (or tv show) is actually interesting enough in an odd way to keep me entertained. Riding with death was that way. Same with The Deadly Bees.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:33:47 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Yeah, some of these you can tell it was just like budget or something that derailed them. And I think Riding With Death being a TV show the plot was more concise.

It's not like the disaster that is Monster A Go Go.  :lol

Thought it had some really good jokes and such, perfect sniping. The "patent papers" are one of my favorite running gags now. "My patent papers are at a slight angle Sam, what's going on?!?"

Surprised this episode hasn't shown up in more "best of" lists or collections.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

[close]
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
One of my other favorite thing about MST3k versus Rifftrax is the perfect way they delivered the lines in mst3k. They acted the riffs perfectly. It all just seems so lazy in rifftrax by comparison. Especially Mike who was great about delivering lines in MST3k but the way he just phones it in for rifftrax just annoys me. He always uses the same inflection in his voice to do the line deliveries on rifftrax.

benjipwns

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
I don't think they really go over and plan things out on Rifftrax, more like they all watch the movie seperately, write some jokes and then do a viewing to record. I remember reading somewhere that they'd watch the MST3K movies way too many times, especially after The Sidehackers incident. Plus they'd film it.

Mike is better imo in the Rifftrax with Bill and Kevin, and I think that's why they started to be brought on more than originally. (Even just one of them to play off of does wonders.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:00:22 PM by benjipwns »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
A Boy of Mexico: Juan and His Donkey may be one of the best things Rifftrax has done. Just so many great lines and I really wish I could find some of them on Youtube.

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/boy-mexico-juan-and-his-donkey
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »
The director of Soultaker wrote a review on IMDB:
I'm Michael Rissi and I directed this picture. I was fresh out of USC film school and was brought on to direct SOULTAKER after the first director was fired when I was 23 years old. Well, making this movie was both an interesting experience and rather gut-wrenching, to be perfectly honest.

I counted something like 3 or 4 catastrophes per day while we were making the movie - from raging thunderstorms with electrical blackouts to a picture car that WOULD NOT START (that's the one that crashes in the movie) to a guy who climbed up into a huge tree while we were shooting at the "SummerFest" location who would not come down, but instead yelled obscenities for HOURS to disrupt us until a fire engine crew showed up and tried in vain for several more hours to get him down and take him away. Whole days during the production were lost for reasons like this. It was truly crazy.

As you can imagine, I have read reviews of SOULTAKER with a mixture of curious interest, dread, and some puzzlement. You certainly take your jabs in this business whether you like it or not and though I was hardly more than a kid when I directed this movie, it has taken on a life of its own.

Ironically, SOULTAKER actually won the BEST VIDEO of the YEAR award in 1991from the famed ACADEMY OF SCIENCE FICTION FANTASY AND HORROR headed by its founder Dr. Donald Reed. I have a Saturn Award sitting on my mantel to prove it. All the official Video Guides gave the movie 2 1/2 out of 4 stars (this was BEFORE the producers sold the rights to MST3K to make fun of it.) MST3K then edited the movie for their own ends, and ever since the movie's ratings have naturally plummeted.

To backtrack, the SCI FI CHANNEL originally presented SOULTAKER as one of its Planetary Premieres in its original form, UNCUT except for commercial breaks, for many years.

After purchasing the rights to mess with it, the folks at MST3K cut the heck out of it (almost a third of the movie) so that it honestly had no chance of making any sense whatsoever and "Re-Presented" it strictly for laughs.

Since SOULTAKER had done very well in its initial release, with very positive reviews in "Daily Variety" and several other major trade publications, you might imagine how perplexed I was initially when I found out they completely hacked up this movie to shreds and then lambasted it on MST3K.

Poor Vivian Schilling was the subject of most of the show's most vicious and acerbic barbs and having worked with her I can tell you that running her down with a series of cheap shots really was unfair. Cheap shots will get cheap laughs. But I doubt anyone reading this would want someone to do it to them.

Frankly, I think the cinematography and staging in the picture hold up fairly well, and practically everyone (apparently including the MST3K folks) knew I had only so much to work with, so they left me alone for the most part. But it's still kind of a bummer to make a low budget movie and see your best stuff hacked up or removed. It's like being a green comedian, being handed some ordinary jokes, going out on stage and getting hit in the face with tomatoes while someone offstage turns the mic down during the punch lines.

Basically, my job as director on this picture, at least as I saw it, most especially throughout all of obstacles which seemed to plague it from the outset, was to FINISH it as best as I was humanly able, while simultaneously infusing it with as much mood, atmosphere and yes, bits of silly humor as I possibly could along the way.

If you've seen SOULTAKER on MST3K, you may have gotten some good laughs, but you really haven't seen the movie. Of course, ripping on movies and movie people has become part of pop culture today.

Some of you might legitimately DISLIKE the picture, the original version I mean. Fair enough. But the fact is, audiences like members of the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror certainly went for it and people like that were the target audience. I autographed quite a few "Soultaker" movie posters at showings like that one, along with the actors. Now I'm told they are collector's items. Strange biz.

The MST3K treatment could make comedies out of many genre movies. A movie like THE SHINING is a good example. But Warner Bros. isn't likely to allow it.

SOULTAKER was made on such a small budget, the sound man (who was one of the only veteran techs on the crew) kept telling me it would be a miracle if we managed to finish the movie. If we had used millions of dollars instead of hundreds and made something like "Battlefield Earth" or "Howard the Duck"...

On the bright side, "Soultaker" made a significant profit, and in the end, for all filmmakers, that's what your job is -- to try to make sure the investors come out on top. At least we did that -- long before it was sliced and diced and served up for breakfast.

He only gave it 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100665/reviews

Also,

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Salty!
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
They made Hobgoblins 2 btw although it had none of the original cast.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:41:13 PM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
The guy who made Hobgoblins claims he submitted it to MST3K and because it got on the show is how he was able to make the sequel.

Freyj

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
http://deep13.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3

No idea how many weekends I've lost watching this.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »
The director of Soultaker wrote a review on IMDB:

He only gave it 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100665/reviews

Well, that's Tinseltown.

And, Robert Z'Dar's face still looks like a catcher's mitt with eyes no matter which version you watch.
©@©™

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 07:44:13 AM »
I really don't like Rifftrax.  I think Cinematic Titanic is much better which is weird because I prefer all the shows with Mike over Joel.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
I've never been that big on Cinematic Titanic. They're more consistent than Rifftrax, in that they don't really have any bad releases like Rifftrax sometimes does, but they're just...consistently OKAY. None of Cinematic Titanic's efforts are really that close to Rifftrax's best.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
I don't like Rifftrax all that much because I hate Bill Corbett.  He ruined post-Trace Crow.
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
The Manos live show tonight was great, especially the short about the versatile CYLINDER! :lol
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Nice to see Joel.

benjipwns

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Watching more of these again I realized how amazing the work on the shorts is, some of the movies I don't remember them exactly but I never forget the shorts about the bread delivery man or the SELLING WIZARD or PROGRESS ISLAND USA. Really need to watch the rifftrax and cinematic titanic shorts.

A JAM HANDY PRODUCTION!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:07:33 AM by benjipwns »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »
anyone got the link to the site thats always streaming mst3k
USA

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
©@©™

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2012, 10:08:03 AM »
ty
USA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
"How bad is it?"
"Ever seen Stroganoff?"

Stoney Mason

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2014, 01:28:35 AM »
I like awful movies and I like Rifftrax (to a degree) so I might as well mention when I watch them here.

Watched a rifftrax for Terror at TenKiller last night. It was decent. The movie was very suitable for riffing as its terrible in a good way but probably a bit too slow. Best joke involved some short shorts worn by the killer. On the scale of Rifftrax I would say its average.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
For everyone who loved MST3k's Puma Man:

dog

Stoney Mason

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 03:45:27 PM »
So...yeah, Rifftrax released two awful low-budget monster movies starring Lash LaRue:

dog