Author Topic: MST3K (+Rifftrax)  (Read 29527 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: MST3K (+Rifftrax)
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
And an educational short starring a young PD

©@©™

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
Joel HodgsonVerified account
‏@JoelGHodgson
People of Earth: please join me in an upcoming Reddit AMA for news about Turkey Day 2015 and the future of @MST3K. Nov 10 @ 4pm ET.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/mystery-science-theater-3000

It's happening! Something's happening. Maybe something's happening. I dunno.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
Hopefully they do more than just offer old episodes on their site, some kind of new collaboration would be nice.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
I shouldn't get my hopes up but I would love a new mst3k with new (modern) riffers. And then bring on the old guys for the occasional guest spots or guest riffing. That would be my dream.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »

No details yet, but a Kickstarted MST3K return is incoming.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
Honestly not sure what took them so long. This should have been one of the first tings that tried this.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
Officially up now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

I've been thinking about ways to re-animate MST3K for over a decade... and over the last 15 years, I've met thousands of you who’ve told me that they wanted MST3K back too. But two things have finally changed that make this the right time. And I'm not talking about the legalization of marijuana or the proliferation of water jet pack use.

1. Crowdfunding gives fans the power to get what they want.In less than two years, I've watched fans use crowdfunding to bring back Veronica Mars, Reading Rainbow and Super Troopers – all cult favorites, like us – and it made me wonder how MSTies would respond if we had the chance to return. Now we're going to find out… and then maybe LeVar Burton can finally stop acting like he’s so much better than us.

2. We had to work through some complicated legal issues.Even though I've always wanted to bring MST3K back, it wasn't that easy. Thanks to the Last Will and Testament of one eccentric old heiress, the rights were tied up for years. It took time to work those issues out, but with the help of my friends at Shout Factory, a special chokehold I perfected in WuDang that I like to call “The Persuader,” and a night I had to spend in a haunted house as a term of the the old lady’s will, we succeeded.

But this summer, we finally got all of the rights cleared up… and like Orpheus, we can now descend into hell to hang out with a couple of wisecracking robots.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/10/mystery-science-theater-3000-reboot

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
Kickstarter page is up, although the details are still a bit bit scanty (we don't know who's hosting). They're asking for $2 million, but they want $5.5 million. 2 guarantees 3 episodes, 5.5 gets you 12.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
This needs to happen. I'll break my anti-Kickstarter attitude for something like this.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »
Hopefully they can get Mike, Kevin, and Bill from Rifftrax in on this, but at the very least I'd be happy with a Cinematic Titanic reunion.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
No thanks to Bill.  His voice/jokes are so grating

GOAT team: Mike, Kevin, and Trace.
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
I'd really like for them to do four riffers: Mike, Kevin, Trace, and Joel.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Joel, Mike, Crow, and Servo all in one theater :lawd
püp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
Head writer Mike Nelson has already said he's not involved in this reboot. If this shit's Joel hosted I am super :hyper irl.
Hi

Stoney Mason

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
As far as old school mst3k I was always a Joel guy and sort of biased against Mike but when I got older and went back and watched the Mike episodes there are unquestionably some of the most amazing gems among them. I still prefer Joel but Mike probably has the larger number of great episodes mainly just because the show had found its rhythm by that point.

Rifftrax can be enjoyable and occasionally they really hit a groove on something (They did the Harry Potter franchise well) but overall it can also miss a lot more than I would like and I don't like how modern the riffing is coming from older guys. I don't want Bieber and instagram jokes from people in their 50's at this point. It seems somehow desperate.

My Dream team would be Trace, Kevin, and either Joel or Mike.

Like I said though, what I would prefer is new people and everybody making cameo and guest appearances for skits or riffing.

A show for a new generation but with strong links to the past.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
I don't watch too many of the Rifftrax, mainly just the shorts, some of the old really goofy looking movies that are perfect MST3k fodder, and the live shows. That's plenty enough for me.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
Welp. Mike, Bill, Josh, and Trace have all confirmed that they're not involved in the MST3K reboot. Sounds like it's just going to be Joel and some dudes, and that's assuming Joel is even in it. It might just end up being MST3K: The Next Generation.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »
that all sounds terrible
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
 >:(
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2015, 07:28:50 PM »
Update #2

Nov 13 2015

5 BURNING Questions About #BringBackMST3K

People of Kickstarter:

It’s been 48 hours in Kickstarter Land for #BringBackMST3K, and we're almost 75% of the way to our first goal of $2MM and 3 episodes! If you've already joined in: thank you for giving us such a fantastic start.

Today’s update is important, because I know there are a lot of unanswered questions about this Kickstarter, and about the future of MST3K.

Questions like:

Why do you need so much money to make MST3K? Isn't it cheap?
Are you doing this alone? Where are the other MST3K writers and actors?
Why is there a new cast? I want the old cast back.
We've got Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax. Who needs more MST3K?
Is there a Santa Claus? If so, is he contributing to help bring back MST3K?
These are all good questions, so let's start with the tough one: Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Anyway, I know that these questions are still making some fans skeptical. I've seen all of the comments and questions here on Kickstarter. And Reddit. And Facebook. And Twitter. And... man, there's a whole lot of internet.

But hey, I get it. That's why I want to answer your questions the best I can.

If you're undecided about helping us #BringBackMST3K, I hope you'll take a few minutes to read this.

Question #1: Why do you need so much money?

Believe me, man. I hear you. If it really cost $2 million just to make three episodes, we'd be spending almost $700K per show! And you're right: by itself, an episode of MST3K doesn't cost nearly that much.

But the explanation is actually pretty simple:

A. We don't get to keep all of the money we raise on Kickstarter.

Out of the first $2,000,000, we have to pay about 8% – that's $160,000 – in CAMPAIGN FEES to Kickstarter and the credit card processor.
Then we have to cover all of the REWARD AND SHIPPING COSTS to design, produce, print, sort and ship all of the rewards we're offering in exchange for your pledge. (Those t-shirts aren't free, you know!) That costs about 27%, so that's another $540,000.
We're not charging you twice for shipping, I promise. Even though Kickstarter asks you to add more for shipping after you pledge, they count that money toward the total we've raised, but we still have to spend that money on, you know... shipping!
So, out of the first $2,000,000 we raise, we have to spend $700,000 just on the costs of this Kickstarter campaign!
B. Then, we have a lot of startup costs just to get the show into production.

To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first $2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS. The good part is that every penny of that ends up on screen, where you can see it.

C. But... the more episodes we make, the less each episode costs!

We have to spend $550,000 up front, no matter how many episodes we make. If we only make 3 episodes, these costs increase the budget for each episode by $183K… but if we make a full 12, they only increase it by $46K each!

Anyway, once you take out the CAMPAIGN, REWARD and STARTUP COSTS, there's a lot less than $2M left.

In fact, that leaves just $750,000 for THREE FEATURE-LENGTH EPISODES OF MST3K, which – I hope – sounds a lot more reasonable than $2,000,000!

At the end of the day, our goal is to make each feature-length episode of MST3K for around $250,000.

To put that in perspective, that means we're spending less to create 90 minutes of MST3K than even the lower-end reality shows spend to make 22 minutes! (Really makes ya think, don't it?)

And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew, or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive. Which brings me to the last point:

D. If we want the best cheesy movies, we have to pay for them.

Right now, none of the movies I'd like to include in the next season are in the public domain. That means we have to pay the owner of each movie a substantial amount to include it on MST3K. That would be expensive no matter what... and that's before the owners realize what we're planning to do with them!

Now, I know that was a lot of detail. If you're as worn out from reading about this as I am from writing about it, here's a wicked cool graphic that sums the whole thing up:

I know not everyone will want this much explanation, but I'm asking you to trust me with your money, so I think it's important to be crystal clear about how we're using it.

Finally, if you're thinking that $250K per episode still sounds like a lot, remember: even in the ‘90s, an episode of MST3K cost us between $100K-200K, and with inflation, everything costs more now.

Plus, when MST3K started, we were able to get better rates. As the show got more popular, licensing cheesy movies suddenly began to cost us a lot more. Hmm...

Anyway, I hope $250,000 per episode feels more reasonable than "$2M for three, " which is how it might have sounded at first.

Question #2: What about everyone else? Are the other MST3K writers and actors coming back?

This is the hardest question to answer, because there are several moving pieces involved.

Right now, I don't know who will agree to come back and work on the next season of MST3K… but if the Kickstarter is successful, everyone will be invited to take part.

Until yesterday, I wasn't even sure this whole Kickstarter idea would work. I've reached out and spoken with some of the old cast and writers, but until I knew how much money we'd have to work with – and when we'd start writing and shooting – there was just no way to make the specific offers that I hope will bring many of them back.

Plus – as many of you know – so far, the old cast haven't been compensated as well as they (or I) might have liked. I wish I could go back and fix that, but if I'm going to ask them to participate in the next season, I want to be certain we can pay them what they deserve this time. As soon as we pass our initial goal of $2,000,000, I'm hoping to start making the invitations official, and I hope some of them will be able to join us before we start working in January.

But there's another thing I should say here:

As much as I love the old seasons, we're not just trying to make an "MST3K reunion episode." Even if we do get our entire old cast and staff to come help out, I think it's important – essential– that we bring in new talent to keep the show fresh, and to help it evolve.

To do that, it's important that we bring in the next Host, the next Mad, and the next robot voices. And if everything goes well, there'll be a dozen more after them. (I'll come back to this in the next question.)

At the same time, I'd love to work with the entire old team again. Mystery Science Theater 3000 became the show you know and love because our writers and actors were – and are – some of the smartest, funniest people I've ever worked with. If they have time to come back for the next season, I'll be so excited to work with them again.

But even if everyone comes back, we'll never be able to reproduce the magic of how those old episodes feel to you. No one ever could. People usually think that the “best year in music” was they year they turned eighteen. In the same way, the “best year of MST3K" – for you – will probably always be the year you turned 13, or 16, or 18, and your parents finally sprung for the good cable package. To misquote Rick James, nostalgia is a helluva drug. We can't compete with your memories, and it would be kind of silly to try.

But we can try to make something that today's kids (and adults!) can discover, that will give them the same feeling you once had. And hopefully give you long-time fans something new to enjoy, too. That's the goal, anyway.

3. Why is there a new cast? I want the old cast back. It's not MST3K without them.

I've gotten a lot of messages asking – or complaining – about the decision to bring in a new cast. This came up a few times on Tuesday during my Reddit AMA, but I don't know if I explained it as well as I'd like, so I want to take another minute to talk about this.

The funny thing is, this isn't the first time we've gotten these complaints.

When we first imagined Mystery Science Theater 3000 back in 1988, my hope was to launch a show that, in success, could be as enduring as Saturday Night Live. We had a simple format that could evolve over time, with each new generation of actors and writers finding their own take on the basic concept.

If MST3K hadn't gotten canceled fifteen years ago, it’s possible we could have had 4 or 5 hosts by now, and it would be just like Doctor Who: even if you had "your Doctor," you'd still be able to appreciate the different flavors that each new Host or Mad or robot added to the show. It's part of what makes a show like Doctor Who or SNL last. I’m a Tom Baker fan myself, and no one is funnier than Dan Aykroyd. (To me.)

The problem is that MST3K got canceled after just two hosts, and instead of becoming a proud tradition, some audiences started to see it as a competition between "Team Joel" and "Team Mike." I think that if MST3K had lasted long enough to have a third host, this wouldn't have happened. It makes me sad that it did.

When I first left MST3K and Mike took over as host, some of you said you were done watching – not because he was bad, but because he was different. Then, once the shock wore off, a lot of you realized he brought something new and great to the job. Many of you even liked his episodes better! And when Kevin took over as Tom Servo, there was hate mail, but for many of you he became the definitive Servo! I could go on.

So yeah, we've been through this before, and I get it. Different can be scary, especially if you really loved the old seasons. But just think: if you had never given Mike or Kevin or Bill or Frank or Mary Jo a chance in their roles, you'd have almost 100 fewer episodes of MST3K to enjoy today. I'm not asking you to like the next cast better than the last one, but I hope you'll give them a chance, and see what they can do.

Then, when their time is up, I hope you'll give the next cast a chance too.

Anyway, I think we've found great new people to act as our next Host, Mad, Crow and Servo, and I'll introduce you to all of them before the end of our Kickstarter. And if the old cast are up for it, we'll look for ways to bring their old characters back for cameos. (Anything's possible! Even Servo and Crow could have "software glitches" from time to time and temporarily boot with their older personalities.) But the reason I hope a lot of the old team will come back is to help guide the next generation as they learn the ropes.

Here's the thing: I don't want us to make a whole different MST3K. We love the old seasons for a reason, and so did you. But I also don't want us to make the same exact MST3K again either.

As I've said before, it's like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle as applied to MST3K: if it doesn't change, it's not the same show. So to stay the same, we need to keep changing. Make sense?

4. Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax are great. Who needs new MST3K?

To me, this has been the weirdest question to try and answer, because some people are acting like we're asking you to choose between Cinematic Titanic, Rifftrax and MST3K, or to convince you that MST3K is the "one true riffing show." And guys, this might be why we can't have nice things.

With Rifftrax, Mike, Bill and Kevin have brought riffing to a whole new set of movies, by finding a way to riff the kinds of flicks we were never able to include in – or afford for – MST3K. And they're great at it!

Cinematic Titanic was all about a live riffing experience that performers could share with fans in the house. It was an incredible thing to be part of, and even with so many great MST3K veterans involved, it still had a completely different flavor.

I will always support good riffing, and the world will always need more riffing – especially under the imminent Trump/Carson Administration. Plus, it's exciting to watch so many MST3K vets out there doing their thing, and making people laugh, in whatever form they enjoy most. We're better off with more riffing shows out in the wild – and even if our old team comes back, they'll still be free to continue their other projects.

But I know there's still a place for Mystery Science Theater 3000 right there next to them, because the world will be more fun – and more bearable – with Crow, Servo, the Mads, and more cheesy B-movies.

No one is asking you to pick between Rifftrax and MST3K, and no one ever will. There's room for both of them.

5. Is there really a Santa Claus?

Droppo, you are the laziest man on Mars.

Anyway, that was a lot to read, but I think it was important to tell you all of that. If you made it this far, I hope I've eased your mind.

If you have more questions, I want to make sure I'm answering them, so please be sure to post in the comments. And if this all makes sense to you, I hope you'll help share these explanations with others, when you see them asking these questions.

I'll have something fun to share with you tomorrow.

Cheers and Thanks,

Joel

Joel is a damn cool dude.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188

Stoney Mason

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »
2.2 million with 23 days left.

I definitely think 3.3 million for 6 episodes is doable.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
Don't spend Thanksgiving with your family. Do this instead:

dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »
15 days to go. Let's round up and say they are at 2.9 million.

I definitely think 4 to 6 episode is easily doable as they only need 3.3 million.

7-9 is maybe possible with the increase that tends to come during the final couple of days.

I think 5.5 million is unattainable.

Felicia Day is the new villain and Jonah Ray is the new host. I'm aware of who those two people are but I have never actually watched anything with them in it so I have no feelings either way towards them. 

Trent Dole

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
Yeah the names are familiar to me. I looked them up and they seem like fitting choices. Wife suggested getting Chris Hardwick to host and it turns out Jonah cohosts the Nerdist podcast with him, so he'll probably show up at some point.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
He tampered in God's domain.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »
It's a giant death ray! But only to be used for peaceful purposes.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »
54 hours left. Currently at 4.2 million.

Latest news.

Patton Oswalt joins cast as the son of frank.

Dan Harmon involved with the writing.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »
This is going to be awesome if Oswalt and Harmon contribute.  Very very smart pop culture dudes, there will be an amazing amount of references between the two
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:46 PM »
Full Season

:obama

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I didn't back it, but good for them. I'll watch it.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2015, 01:29:39 AM »
14 episodes!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:29:44 AM by Stoney Mason »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2016, 03:05:46 AM »
Rifftrax Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

The feature-length riffs are well worth the $12 IMO, but if you just want to kick in a buck, The Demon Bat is a howler.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »
This year's Rifftrax Kickstarter is Time Chasers plus lots of shorts and other stuff, but the real kicker [lol] is that they're bringing back Mary Jo Pehl, Frank Conniff, and Trace Beaulieu to join in on the riffing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-2016-mst3k-reunion-time-chasers-live
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
What's the best way to watch mst3k? There's a billion dvd sets

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Probably not the 'best' but there's a ustream channel that runs it 24/7 http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mystery-science-theater-3000---mst3k

Stoney Mason

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2016, 05:47:33 PM »
A lot of them are just up on youtube. Some are missing but I would say the majority are on there.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
What's the best way to watch mst3k? There's a billion dvd sets

Along with what's already been said, Rifftrax has started selling digital episodes of MST3k on their store and generally releasing a few more every week.

Hulu has 37 episodes of MST3k right now. Not sure if they plan on adding anymore.
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »
What are the best MST3k? I grew up watching it but don't remember much besides my favorite one, Godzilla vs Megalon.

Continuing with that, I've never seen rifftrax. What are the best ones?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
What are the best MST3k? I grew up watching it but don't remember much besides my favorite one, Godzilla vs Megalon.

Best is so hard as its so personal. There is probably a general consensus community but some of my favorites are individual episodes that just struck me as Hilarious for specific bits in them.

By community consensus though I would say these are among the top 5

Mitchell
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
The Final Sacrifice

Everybody includes those on their lists. After that there are another 20 or 25 that I would consider exceptional but those vary from person to person. I could list some of them if you want.

Rifftrax is way more hit and miss. I think they did a good job with the Harry Potter and Twilight movies. My favorite rifftrax's tend to be ones where they do awful obscure movies like in mst3k rather than just doing popular movies. In general I don't like Rifftrax nearly as much as classic mst3k but I'm glad the guys are still working.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
Best MST3K:
Space Mutiny
Santa Claus vs the Martians
Gamera vs Guiron (all the Gamera movies + both of the Godzilla movies, really)
I Accuse My Parents
Operation Double 007
Radar Secret Service
Prince of Space
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
The Final Sacrifice
Gorgo

Best Rifftrax:
Birdemic
Anaconda
Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny
The Room (Live Version)
Fun in Balloon Land
The Guy From Harlem
Planet of Dinosaurs

I can't really think of many "essential" Rifftrax, most of them are just okay to pretty good compared to MST3K. Those are some of my favorites, though.
©@©™

Mods Help

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2016, 06:37:31 PM »
I fucking love anaconda unironically

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »

Mitchell
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
The Final Sacrifice

Everybody includes those on their lists. After that there are another 20 or 25 that I would consider exceptional but those vary from person to person. I could list some of them if you want.

Rifftrax is way more hit and miss. I think they did a good job with the Harry Potter and Twilight movies. My favorite rifftrax's tend to be ones where they do awful obscure movies like in mst3k rather than just doing popular movies. In general I don't like Rifftrax nearly as much as classic mst3k but I'm glad the guys are still working.

I hate to sound to weak but Mitchell, Manos, and Space Mutiny are easily my top 3. I can't watch Overdrawn at the Memory Bank because of who is in it.

Rifftrax I haven't given a good shot but I started with The Star Wars Holiday Special and no amount of commentary can save you from that abomination. It's just that bad.
rub

Stoney Mason

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »

There are a number of mst3k movies that I have legit grown to love and actually really like as actual movies despite logically knowing they are sub-standard movies.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »
202 - Wild Rebels
210 - King Dinosaur
303 - Pod People
306 - Time of the Apes
310 - Fugitive Alien
321 - Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
402 - Giant Gila Monster
421 - Monster A Go-Go
422 - The Day the Earth Froze
423 - Bride of the Monster
424 - Manos
501 - Warrior of the Lost World
506 - Eegah!
507 - I Accuse My Parents
508 - Operation Double 007
511 - Gunslinger
512 - Mitchell
513 - The Brain that Wouldn't Die
519 - Outlaw
520 - Radar Secret Service
521 - Santa Claus
603 - The Dead Talk Back
609 - Skydivers
614 - San Francisco International
621 - The Beast of Yucca Flats
703 - Deathstalker
705 - Escape 2000
809 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf
810 - Giant Spider Invasion
811 - Parts: The Clonus Horror
814 - Riding with Death
816 - Prince of Space
819 - Invasion of the Neptune Men
820 - Space Mutiny
821 - Time Chasers
822 - Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
903 - The Pumaman
904 - Werewolf
909 - Gorgo
910 - The Final Sacrifice
913 - Quest of the Delta Knights
1001 - The Soultaker
1002 - The Girl in Gold Boots
1003 - Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
1004 - Future War
1006 - Boggy Creek II
1007 - Track of the Moon Beast
1008 - Final Justice
1012 - Squirm
1013 - Diabolik

A pretty good mix of genres and all a really good episodes. Also, any of the Gamera and Godzilla episodes are worth watching.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2016, 10:51:27 PM »

There are a number of mst3k movies that I have legit grown to love and actually really like as actual movies despite logically knowing they are sub-standard movies.

Moon Zero Two is a fun movie.
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »
I forgot about Pyumaman and Wurrwyelf.
rub

Stoney Mason

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
If I'm doing a personal favorite top 5 mst3k it would look like

Hobgoblins
The Deadly Bees
Squirm
Master Ninja 1 or 2
Riding With Death

edit: I can't leave off Legend of Boggy Creek

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:46:13 PM by Stoney Mason »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2016, 08:44:51 PM »
This reunion live event is really shaping up to be something special.
dog

Trent Dole

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Castle of Fu Manchu
The Violent Years
Hi

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Joe and I went to see that at the local theater last night and it was really great. If you missed it, definitely go see the encore broadcast next month.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2016, 11:49:36 PM »
It's official: Mystery Science Theater 3000 is being revived — at Netflix.

The streaming giant has landed the revival that started with following a successful Kickstarter campaign, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The news will be officially announced Saturday at Comic-Con during a panel for the revival.

Netflix will debut the series in what it said is the "not too distant future," with MST3K available in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the U.K.

Launched in November, Shout Factory acquired the rights to the cult hit and teamed with series creator Joel Hodgson for a new incarnation of the cult favorite. At the time, Hodgson hoped the Kickstarter campaign will raise at least $2 million — enough to make three new feature-length episodes — with an ultimate goal of the $5.5 million needed to make a full season of 12 episodes. The campaign raised $5.7 million and will be back for a 14-episode season. The Kickstarter campaign ranks as the highest-funded film and TV crowdfunding campaign in history.

Hodgson will be involved in writing and all facets of production of the revival. New episodes will feature a new host, Mads (aka "mad scientist") and new movies to riff. DIY queen Felicia Day will take on the role of mad scientist Kinga Forrester, daughter of one of the show's original villains, Dr. Clayton Forrester (Trace Beaulieu). Patton Oswalt will portray Son of TV's Frank; comedians Hampton Yount and Baron Vaughn are set as the two voices of the show's robotic sidekicks; and Nerdist podcast co-host Jonah Ray is the lead host. Community's Joel McHale and showrunner Dan Harmon are also attached as writers. Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester), Bill Corbett (Crow T. Robot) and Kevin Murphy from the original cast will reprise their roles in the new series. Elliott Kalan, the Emmy-winning former head writer of The Daily Show, will serve as the head writer on MST3K. The series is exec produced by Hodgson, Richard Foos, Bob Emmer, Garson Foos, Jonathan Stern, Harold Buchholz, Elliott Kalan as well as Satellite of Love, Alternaversal Productions and Abominable Pictures.

MST3K premiered in 1988 on a local station in Minnesota before going on to air on Comedy Central for six seasons, concluding in 1997. Then, Syfy picked the show up for another three seasons until its final cancelation in 1999 after nearly 200 episodes. The series, featuring a man and his robot sidekicks, riffed on B-movies as part of an "experiment."

The series won a prestigious Peabody Award in 1993 and was nominated for two Emmys, as well as a Cable ACE Award. It was included in Time's 100 Best TV Shows of All Time list in 2007.

For Netflix, MST3K comes as the streaming giant is investing an impressive $5 billion in original programming this year alone. The series joins a slate that also includes Marvel's Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, The Defenders, Punisher as well as its Lost in Space revival, Dear White People, Chuck Lorre's Disjointed, Stranger Things, Alias Grace with Zachary Levi, Jeff Daniels' Godless and more.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-mystery-science-theater-913930

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2016, 11:55:48 PM »
I want to see the new MST3k riff on that Netflix Adam Sandler movie.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2016, 11:59:22 PM »
It boggles my mind with the proliferation of cable channels that nobody will pay them to do a modern mst3k.

:jawalrus