Author Topic: MST3K (+Rifftrax)  (Read 29515 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: MST3K (+Rifftrax)
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2016, 12:03:31 AM »
Netflix is the new local access cable station that plays weird stuff in the middle of the night. :rock
©@©™

Freyj

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:11 AM »
NewsOK? How many Okies do we have in this place?

Hopefully we can get more classic episodes on Netflix as well.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/rifftrax-mobile-bundle

Humble Bundle is doing another Rifftrax bundle. Most of them are just the audio riffs of Hollywood movies (I don't care for them but YMMV), but there are a few VOD titles in there: The Wizard, Night of the Living Dead, and the short Shake Hands With Danger (it's good).

Or you can put in your email address at the bottom and get the old classic Mr. B Natural for free.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2016, 09:03:19 PM »
Turkey Day marathon incoming:

dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »

Freyj

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »
That was good. High hopes.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
I'm just glad they went with a new generation of guys instead of trotting out the older guys. As much as I love the old stuff, its really time for a new gen of smart funny guys to do this.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
Netflix has just announced the release date for the upcoming Mystery Science Theater 3000 revival, posting via Facebook that Jonah and the Bots will be heading back to the Satellite of Love on April 14.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2017, 12:50:05 AM »
Those cheap-o sets :lawd
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »
Reptillicus is a good selection.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
I love that article about the episode rankings, even if I disagree with where some of the episodes have ended up.

On the other hand, Final Sacrifice is #1, so it's all good.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »
If you are a kickstarter backer you have early access to all the episodes now

I watched the first episode.

meh.

I takes awhile for these things to gel and cement so I'm not going to be overly harsh but honestly it would have been a sub-par episode in any era. A great Mst3k is either really funny or really clever with the riffs and this particular episode was neither imo. (The monster rap song bit is good though)

I'll comment again when I get through like half the season.

Freyj

« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2017, 12:23:39 AM »
Thought 1102 was much better, but still not used to the rapid fire riffs.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2017, 12:31:23 AM »
Starcrash, nice :lol
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Thought 1102 was much better, but still not used to the rapid fire riffs.

I've heard that it improves so hopefully that is the case. Mst3k has always been uneven depending on the episode so that may also certainly be the case.

One minor thing is that for me all the guys also have a similar tone of voice. It's doesn't actually effect anything if the riffs are funny but coming from the very distinctive voices of the original, its often hard for me to tell which guy was talking in the first episode. Like I said, that aspect doesn't really matter, but it just kind of feels better when the voices are a bit more distinct.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:01:58 PM by Stoney Mason »

Freyj

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
I've heard that it improves so hopefully that is the case. Mst3k has always been uneven depending on the episode so that may also certainly be the case.

One minor thing is that for me all the guys also have a similar tone of voice. It's doesn't actually effect anything if the riffs are funny but coming from the very distinctive voices of the original, its often hard for me to tell which guy was talking in the first episode. Like I said, that aspect doesn't really matter, but it just kind of feels better when the voices are a bit more distinct.

Definitely had the same issue at first, but a few episodes in and I can mostly tell them apart. I think Joel and Mike just had such different sounding voices from the bots whereas Jonah is more high pitched and less... mid-western.

Hampton's Crow is pretty great honestly. Baron's Servo isn't bad at all, but my primary complaint is that his personality doesn't differentiate itself from Crow enough. Kevin's Servo took a bit to find its groove too though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2017, 12:24:20 AM »
After watching the first three episodes, I'm pretty happy with it. The riffing is great, the new hosts aren't bad, and the movie selection is fantastic. I loved Cry Wilderness, it really gave off that Pod People vibe.

The only thing I don't like is Felicia Day, she's just not good in this. Patton Oswalt is wasted because he has to be in all his scenes with her.
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43:59 AM »
I wish they'd slow down their delivery, just a bit.
rub

Freyj

« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2017, 12:47:18 AM »
I started liking Kinga more in episode 4 fwiw and I generally don't care for Day's schtick.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »
I'm about 4 episodes in. I like it. The first episode was the worst imo but every episode has been better than that so far. Episode 3 has been my favorite. I like alot about it. Even Felicia Day who seems to be the most disliked portion from what I've gleaned so far. She doesn't bother me at all. It's a reboot that has its heart in the right place and that matters a lot. This isn't a cash-in or something that doesn't feel like it isn't a natural evolution of the original show.

I kinda wish they would slow down the pace. Both in riffing and in the skits. Sometimes it all just feels so rushed. Not in a lazy way. But in a way like they are trying to keep up a pace that they think a modern audience desires. I'm probably just an old coot but I like my comedy slower and more measured. I think the skits needs a little more high concept to them. By the end of the run of the original show, the skits were really inventive and unique . They need a bit more of that. But some of these are nitpicks. I'm fine with it. I'm fine with getting more of exactly this with the natural improvements that will come.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:31 AM »
I read somewhere that the riffs per minute [RPM] are considerably higher for the new series than the old one, they figured that streaming has made people better able to keep up than when it was just broadcast on TV. Just as a personal preference, I like the more "laid back" riffing of the original series.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2017, 01:13:27 AM »
It's a tricky thing and since my job isn't being a comedian its a little presumptuous of me to tell professional ones how to do it.

But sometimes you just have to give a little more breathing room to let a joke land instead of being in a rush to get to the next one. It's quality not quantity.

You can feel the difference in a clip like that. Even more so with Joel of course who always had a naturally hippie-ish paced delivery to his comedy whether it mst3k or stand-up.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:57 AM »
RiffTrax is faster paced too I had noticed, and when it was stuff the guys had clearly seen multiple times before they probably sat down to write the riffs like Star Trek or whatever it was even more sped up. To be fair, it was sorta that way on the original show when they started doing 1970s action movies near the end of the run versus all the 1950/60s plodding sci-fi/horror stuff they were doing earlier on.

On the original show they had so few people watch the entire movie beforehand sometimes that you had things like The Sidehackers where it wasn't until they watched it for recording that they realized there was a freakin rape (and maybe rape plus murder?) subplot in the movie, but they had already shot half of the episode so they just had to pretend it didn't happen. Everyone on the original show was basically in every role on air/puppeter/etc. for most of its run. Even Mike shows up as a random background character from time to time when he was one of the few writer-only people they had.

And I think they have way more writers or just people on staff to offer up riffs on the new show? I thought I read somewhere it was way way way more like a modern TV series in terms of staff compared to what they used to somehow manage.

Hell, Patton Oswalt probably could write whole episodes of his own riffs and pair it back five or six times to get the good 20 or so for what hits the air. Elliott Kalan wrote for The Daily Show for seven years and 1000+ episodes and was head writer for the final two years of Jon Stewart's run. As awesome as the original cast plus Mike was, they never had guys with that kind of experience/intensity working on the show regularly.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2017, 01:36:15 AM »
Kevin Murphy   ...   (198 episodes, 1988-1999)
Joel Hodgson   ...   (creator) (197 episodes, 1988-1999)
Michael J. Nelson   ...   (177 episodes, 1989-1999)
Jim Mallon   ...   (152 episodes, 1988-1997)
Trace Beaulieu   ...   (150 episodes, 1988-1996)
Bridget Jones   ...   (150 episodes, 1991-1999)
Paul Chaplin   ...   (145 episodes, 1991-1999)
Mary Jo Pehl   ...   (123 episodes, 1992-1999)
Frank Conniff   ...   (103 episodes, 1990-1994)
Colleen Henjum   ...   (95 episodes, 1991-1995)
Bill Corbett   ...   (51 episodes, 1995-1999)
J. Elvis Weinstein   ...   (34 episodes, 1988-1990)
Mike Dodge   ...   (24 episodes, 1994-1995)
David Sussman   ...   (18 episodes, 1992-1994)
Elliott Kalan   ...   (14 episodes, 2017)
Timothy Scott   ...   (7 episodes, 1991-1994)
He's already got as many or more credits as two guys who were crew (and thus also wound up with writing credits like everyone else) on the original show for three years. I'm sure you recognize most of those other names as the on-air talent of the original series.

David Sussman's only non-MST3K credit is that he was in the pilot of Burn Notice. :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2017, 01:54:38 AM »
The original show was pretty much a bunch of amateur/wannabe standup comedians [Mike moonlighted as a standup comic while waiting tables at TGI Friday's during the day] who often pulled double duty as writers and on-camera talent. An average Mike-era episode would be written by Michael Nelson [Mike], Kevin Murphy [Tom Servo and Bobo], Mary Jo Pehl [Pearl Forrester], Bill Corbett [Crow and Brain Guy], and Bridget Jones and Paul Chaplin, who weren't regulars on-camera but did show up in various roles.

Joel was probably the most accomplished comic of the lot, he was actually a guest on several episodes of SNL!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:58:48 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »
RiffTrax is also a pain in the ass to set up for any of the newer movies and it's never mixed well. You can either basically mute the movie, or mute the track, thereby defeating the purpose of either.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »

Joel was probably the most accomplished comic of the lot, he was actually a guest on several episodes of SNL!

By day I'm an ordinary comic magician holding a tuna and cheese casserole, at night I become (SNAP) Agent J.
rub

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
lmao, a Jerry Seinfeld cameo in my MST3K?
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
lmao, a Jerry Seinfeld cameo in my MST3K?

Fun fact: Joel and Jerry did an HBO special back in 1987:

dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
Yeah they are good friends. Which is why Seinfeld had Joel on that comedians with cars or coffee or whatever its called.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
Finished up the season on a first watch.

My favorite episodes were:
Cry Wilderness
The Time Travelers
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom

Cry Wilderness is probably the closest to one of the classics of the old show because the movie is just so god damn strange.

I enjoyed it. One of the things I realized is that its easy to be a little unfair to the new show because I'm comparing this one season to essentially the very best of the old show instead of one individual season of the old mst3k.

I even got use to the riffing pace. I prefer the pace of the older show but the new pace is fine. I rewatched Reptilicus and its more watchable after going through the whole season and getting familiar with it.

My biggest complaints would still be that I think the pace is slightly too fast and for the most part the out of movies skits mostly sucked. There was very little there that was clever or as inventive as the old show. They need to work on that alot.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
My favorite was Cry Wilderness too. Bigfoot coming to your school to warn you that your father is danger, brehs. :lol

I don't mind the pace of the riffing, although sometimes you just wanna let a joke breathe.

The host segments never got good, imo. At best they were tolerable, at worst they were...anything to do with Kinga marrying Jonah.  ::) Running storylines were the worst part of the original series, and they only did them then because Sci-Fi demanded it. It's better when they just stick to parodying the movies. The most memorable host segments from the OG series for me is Joel as the supervillain from Operation Double 007, "It stinks!" from Pod People, the Hired! song, and the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus from Starfighters. My favorite one from the new series is probably the one where Joel appeared as a doped up party-animal versions of one of the scientists from The Time Travelers, that one was pretty good.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
Yeah, skits directly parodying the movie were always the best, regardless which era of the series it was. Scifi Channel skits were pretty weak because they tried to add in an ongoing storyline, which just didn't really work.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:02:27 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »
I'm fine with either approach. Randoms skits or having a storyline skit arc via the season or episode. I enjoyed both in the original. I just think the modern incarnation didn't really work in either direction they took.The best skit is the monster rap song. After that it mostly drops off a cliff. The random guest spots work in a few cases but mostly didn't work imo.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2017, 09:51:13 PM »
So towards the start of each movie Gypsy drops down to put something on the ground of the theater and say a joke, then towards the end she'll drop down to say a joke and retrieve whatever it was she dropped. It looked like a picnic basket or a bucket or something. I have two episodes left, do they ever explain what is going on with that?
WDW

Stoney Mason

« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:50 PM »
So towards the start of each movie Gypsy drops down to put something on the ground of the theater and say a joke, then towards the end she'll drop down to say a joke and retrieve whatever it was she dropped. It looked like a picnic basket or a bucket or something. I have two episodes left, do they ever explain what is going on with that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3K/comments/65g4n3/what_does_gypsy_keep_dropping_in_season_11/

I didn't know either.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:29:29 PM by Stoney Mason »

Trurl

« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
Is there going to be a season 12?  I'm getting nervous.  This is serious business.  :doge

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »
:(
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
Canada's greatest actor.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
Sheeeit... I didn't know about this thread! 

Wish they'd green light a new season on Netflix.  Jonah and crew actually did a pretty good job.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
Wish they'd green light a new season on Netflix.

Good news: they already have! No word yet on when it'll be released, though.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
https://www.mst3k.com/tour

Joel is reaming up with Jonah to do live shows for the 30th Anniversary of MST3K.  :hyper

I regret not seeing Cinematic Titanic when they were in the area once, I don't want to miss this.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
Live reaming shows, you say.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
 :-*
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2018, 12:18:11 PM »
For those A Touch of Satan fans...
https://www.abc15.com/simplemost/people-line-up-to-pay-38-for-hot-dog-water-

Grandma would be proud...

Stoney Mason

« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »
https://news.avclub.com/exclusive-mystery-science-theater-3000-s-new-season-ge-1829297286

Last Turkey Day, Netflix gave fans of bad movies and wisecracking robots something to be thankful for, renewing Mystery Science Theater 3000 for a 12th season. It was a fitting choice, extending the show’s Kickstarted revival on a date that’s long been synonymous with MST3K marathons and premieres.

And now, like the aunt who’s perfecting her stuffing recipe well in advance of the big meal, the streaming platform has done it again: The A.V. Club is the first to report that new episodes of MST3K will arrive on Netflix this Thanksgiving—Thursday, November 22—marking the show’s third decade of riffing.

Svejk

« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »

:aweshum

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »

Mac and Me
 :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
New season is up on netflix btw

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
I watched the first three last night.
Mac & Me: Brilliant. Atlantic Rim: Pretty Good. Lord of the Deep: Starting to get sleepy now.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
Ultimately, I think there was one great episode (Mac & Me) and five pretty good ones. That's not bad, I think there was only one great episode from Season 1 as well (Cry Wilderness). Something about children falling in with the supernatural, combined with inept filmmaking, always brings the lulz. The over-the-top product placement for McDonalds, Coke, and Skittles is just the icing on this turd.

Second best episode was The Day Time Ended, because that movie was just a cobbled together fever dream of wtf-ness. It was directed by John Cardos, who's had his oeuvre riffed on many times. He also directed Kingdom of Spiders (Rifftrax), Mutant (Rifftrax), and Outlaw of Gor (MST3K Season 5). This movie may be the most nutso of the lot.

Third best, probably Ator, the Fighting Eagle. I might have even rated it higher if I hadn't just seen it done a few months ago on Rifftrax. I love these corny sword and sorcery movies, and while this one doesn't quite have the gusto of a Deathstalker II, it makes up for it with the utter shamelessness of it's wholesale ripoff of the plot of Conan the Barbarian.

The bottom three movies were kind of eh whatever. Killer Fish is like the Ocean's Eleven of bad monster movies, but it was also just so dull. Atlantic Rim had some decent riffing, but it just feels like a wasted spot. These dime-a-dozen mockbusters don't scratch my bad movie itch. Lord of the Deep is an Abyss ripoff that just made my tired. At least it was shorter than The Abyss.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
I've watched 4 of them so far.

Mac and Me is solid riff. I'm so familiar with Mac and Me that it takes away a little of the fun for me though. But like I said, solid riffing job.

Atlantic Rim is probably solid but man I hate that movie. The lead character is such a douche. That movie is so annoying it takes away some of the joy of watching it.

Lords of the Deep is strictly average both in the riff and movie.

The Day Time Ended is probably my favorite so far. I wasn't familiar with it and the move is so god damn weird, that it feels like a revelation for me.

I'll finish off the other two soon.

The riffing in general is pretty good. Pacing is a bit better than the first season as they resist the temptation to overly stuff the amount of jokes and take a breath every now and then. The skits unfortunately are mostly duds. They still haven't improved on that front and they don't match the occasional funny awesomeness that the original show brought. I wish there were more episodes also. 8 to 10 episodes at least. But I'll take what I can get.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:15:41 PM by Stoney Mason »