Author Topic: My 3DS XL thread - come join the fun!  (Read 164358 times)

Tasty

Re: My 3DS XL thread - come join the fun!
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »
Nah, you can't switch the buttons.  I don't think Nintendo's ever going to come around on that.

God DAMNIT.

So fricking stupid.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
Yeah, definitely got a Bit.Trip Runner vibe more than an SC5 one.

I was referring to the bosses, rather than the stages.  The stages are very much Bit.trip Runner, the bosses are very much right-up-right-up-chu-chu-chu.

Ohhh okay. Gotcha.
SRY

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »
yeah except you cant sell that shitty ass game back once you finish. now your out 20$.

coulda used that for a lapdance at some shitty club instead of jacking it to empflix
dur

Tasty

« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
This UI is FRICKING GARBAGE

This is a step down from the Wii shop and that's saying something. WTF Nintendo.

yeah except you cant sell that shitty ass game back once you finish. now your out 20$.

coulda used that for a lapdance at some shitty club instead of jacking it to empflix

I very, very rarely sell games.

archnemesis

« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2012, 12:49:37 AM »
At least there are folders.

Tasty

« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:04 AM »
How do I get to that screen?

archnemesis

« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2012, 03:14:36 AM »
You have to make it yourself. You can zoom out by using the icons in the top-left corner, then create a handful of folders with custom characters.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2012, 03:54:02 AM »
This UI is FRICKING GARBAGE

This is a step down from the Wii shop and that's saying something. WTF Nintendo.

For the real estate they have, I feel its the best they could do.  By comparison i don't find accessing something like itunes from an ipod to be anymore elegant.  And its certainly better than the wiishop, I'm not sure how you could say that with a straight face. 
sad

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »
I bought one for I am a weakling. Kid Icarus is sick.

1161-1049-0349

Can we update the OP or throw up a new sticky for 3DS friend codes so I don't have to hunt through this thread to add everyone?
SRY

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
My 3DS XL thread - come join the fun!
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2012, 12:59:32 AM »
I've been playing this a lot the past couple of weeks, and its safe to say the XL is easily one of the best upgrades, and handhelds in general, that I've purchased. Unlike the OG 3DS, it just feels right in my hand, more so than the Vita.*

And this is coming from someone who GS and Ningendo's backward ass policies almost convinced him to return it hours later.

* I've skipped the DSiXL so I can't compare the two.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:01:41 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2012, 01:01:17 AM »
The XL is easily one of the best upgrades, and handhelds in general, that I've purchased. Unlike the OG 3DS, it just feels right in my hand, more so than the Vita.

It's definitely more comfy than the original 3DS, but no way is it more comfortable than the Vita.  It still cramps my hands trying to use the triggers.
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
Just got this yesterday with 3D Land and NSMB2.  3D Land is wonderful; NSMB2 so far is eh.  About to buy KH as well.

This thing is really cool.  Everything feels much better. Only thing is that the 3D seems to ghost a bit.  Anyone else getting that?
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »

1161-1049-0349

Can we update the OP or throw up a new sticky for 3DS friend codes so I don't have to hunt through this thread to add everyone?

its only 6 pages. dont be lazy, tubs.
fat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »
Just got this yesterday with 3D Land and NSMB2.  3D Land is wonderful; NSMB2 so far is eh.  About to buy KH as well.

This thing is really cool.  Everything feels much better. Only thing is that the 3D seems to ghost a bit.  Anyone else getting that?

Is this your first 3ds?  Ghosting is a ubiquitous problem.  For dark games it is unavoidable and i recommend turning the 3d off.  For other games you can adjust the 3d depth with the slider until the ghosting is negligible.
sad

Tasty

« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
Best handheld original Mario is probably 3D Land.  That's kind of depressing, actually.

You actually meant Wario Land there.

Wario Land is a totally different series yo.

Takao

« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
Best handheld original Mario is probably 3D Land.  That's kind of depressing, actually.

You actually meant Wario Land there.

Wario Land is a totally different series yo.

Nah, first Wario Land was SML3.

Wario Land is great though. I'd kill for an HD 2D platformer like Shake It, instead Nintendo keeps spamming these gross 2.5D games. :(

Tasty

« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »
Nah, first Wario Land was SML3.

Are we really going to have that stupid naming argument again?

Wario Land is a different series, starring a different playable character, with different level mechanics, level design, enemies, and setting. It's a different series.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
Buy 2, Get 1 Free at Best Buy this week. Also got Steel Diver and Pilotwings Resort a few weeks ago out of the dump bin for $5 because lol five dollars.

©@©™

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
My 3DS XL thread - come join the fun!
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Good haul, Joe. I'm proud of you.
Unzip

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »
Thanks Shaka.  :D

My Friend Code is: 2105-9979-9809
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
Joe you need to get Ghost Recon.
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
I had it before, I'll probably buy it again since it's dirt cheap now. It's an awesome game.

btw, added peeps from this thread, the rest of you need to post your FCs
©@©™

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
Friend codes don't really do much atm right?  Like, the only thing they do for reals is allow you to jump into online mario kart games?
I would probably post mine if any of you had zen pinball 3d (high scores~).  Probably my favorite game on the system.
sad

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
Nerd splurge!

🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »
You got all the doodoo games!
fat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
MARIO IS IN THREE DEE
MARIO IS RACING A KART
MARIO IS PLAYING TENNIS
MARIO IS COLLECTING COINS
Oh hey Theatrhythm, I'd play that.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
3d Land and Kart too :uguu
[close]
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
:lol How many people has demi's thread gotten people to buy 3DS XL's? It's like 3-4 now.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »
Friend codes don't really do much atm right?  Like, the only thing they do for reals is allow you to jump into online mario kart games?
I would probably post mine if any of you had zen pinball 3d (high scores~).  Probably my favorite game on the system.

They help me pretend I have friends. :(
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
MARIO IS IN THREE DEE
MARIO IS RACING A KART
MARIO IS PLAYING TENNIS
MARIO IS COLLECTING COINS
Oh hey Theatrhythm, I'd play that.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
3d Land and Kart too :uguu
[close]

I would have bought Samurai Warriors, Tales of the Abyss, and Ghost Recon but they weren't there.
🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
Gimme your club nintendo codes!
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »

They help me pretend I have friends. :(

<3
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
third parties am cry

I kinda want Starfox... for $10

Tasty

« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
Nintendo needs to put these games on the eShop srsly.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
I played Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Tennis.  All fine games.

The biggest downside is that the buttons are too small and that the buttons and the triggers could really cramp the hands if played extensively.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
Went to pick up a case and found that nobody seems to have received any 3DS XL cases, so I just went with another Power A-branded DSi XL case.  The "Ultimate Travel Case" is big and a bit bulky, but it offers good protection and has plenty of space inside.  It holds eight carts plus has a large pocket for the AC or more carts. 

Walked out with Mario Tennis Open, too.  It's exactly what you'd expect, but now has online play.

Since I have to go to work tomorrow, I'm gonna bring the XL and play more Mario at my desk.
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
I played Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Tennis.  All fine games.

The biggest downside is that the buttons are too small and that the buttons and the triggers could really cramp the hands if played extensively.

After about two hours of 3D Land, it's a fun game, but the controls are very odd compared to Galaxy.  Kart 7 is fucking awesome.

I'll post my FC in a bit.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2012, 09:53:52 PM »
Did SML2 stab your mom or something? Jeeze.

It's been quite a while since I played WL but I remember WL3 and 4 having some really awesome puzzles. I also liked that Wario couldn't die, and that they actually rebalanced the game to compensate (unlike say Epic Yarn.)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
All the SML games were atrocious Andy.
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
I liked SML2, but I haven't played it in at least 15 years.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27:06 PM »
All the SML games were atrocious Andy.

Atrocious is too strong a word. SML2 may not hold up as well today, but it still has creative and original zones, enemies, and powerups while also being the only 2D "open-world" Mario game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »
The Super Mario Land games definitely aged poorly, but "atrocious" is far too negative a description of them.

SML2 was the first Mario game that I had no interest in replaying after I finished it- And back then I replayed games countless times.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
I have never noticed any kind of collision glitches when playing SML2 and I've probably played it more than you have. Complaints about "floatiness" with Mario games fall on deaf ears for me ever since people started abusing that phrase for NSMB Wii, so forgive me if I'm unsympathetic to that complaint as well.

Mario's sprite being too big is the only complaint of yours I'd call legitimate, but even that isn't that big a deal since the level design compensates for it. There are no leap of faith jumps because of Mario's size, for instance.

As I said, the gameplay may not hold up perfectly but SML2 is very creative and inventive (zero G one-off level represent) and thus they don't deserve to be treated like it's the Sonic 2006 of the franchise. (Seriously Oscar, switch out Mario for Sonic in your post and that's what it comes across as.)

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »

1161-1049-0349

its only 6 pages. dont be lazy, tubs.

Says the guy who won't add friend codes to the OP!
SRY

Tasty

« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »
I realize that but I'm just not seeing it. I've never thought of or heard of collision issues in SML2 until your posts.

As for worst in the franchise, that's clearly NSMB DS.

Don't say your standards are higher than mine, because they're not.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: September 02, 2012, 11:46:49 PM »
It's okay, I like Super Mario Land 2, Andrex. Give me your friend code.  :heart
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »
Then don't say my criticisms are not legitimate, because they are.  You're basically accusing me of making shit up to smear SML2's fine name or something here.

You're reading into something that isn't there, I'm not accusing you of anything. I just said I've never heard of any collision complaints for SML2 until your posts, and I tend to post about Mario a lot so it would have been something I noticed.

You've also once again assumed something about me (that you've played SML2 more than me?  You have absolutely no way of knowing how much I've played, so unless you've played this game abnormally more than most humans by some major stretch, that's a pretty presumptuous thing to do, particularly given our relative ages would favour me in this kind of scenario), and pretty much every time you do that, it ends up blowing back on you.

I would probably say that I have played it an abnormal amount. Maybe I did assume too much, but my line of thinking was, if you hated this game so much to talk about it like it ran over your dog, what reason could you possibly have to play it more than someone that loves it? If you have indeed played it more than me, which would have been very difficult to have done, then maybe at that point you were looking for things to hate.

For an example of the collision, check what happens when you take damage in SML2 vs what happens when you take damage in other Mario games.  When Mario takes a hit in SML2, there's no impact at all.

This actually isn't a collision glitch, it was a conscious gameplay engine choice by the programmers. Those are two distinct things.

Mario also tends to take damage from things he hasn't visually touched, particularly spikes and obstacles along those lines.

I'll be sure to check that when I play.

The floatiness is the floatiness.  Mario has less weight to him in SML2 than he does in other games.  I don't even see how that's disputable.

Check my post again, I didn't dispute it at all. I just think it's a subjective thing to throw down the gauntlet over. My point was that tolerance to floatiness is entirely subjective. People accuse NSMB Wii of being "too floaty to play" as well and I don't take those criticisms seriously either.

Maybe you don't mind that, but I do.  That you've heard that about other games from other people in other places is not salient to our present discussion, and I don't appreciate you treating me like I'm some trolling idiot.

I don't appreciate the implication that based on my statements, you have higher standards for games than me and I can't tell good from bad like some manchild blinded by nostalgia.

Tasty

« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2012, 12:09:38 AM »
It's okay, I like Super Mario Land 2, Andrex. Give me your friend code.  :heart

How the heck do I find it? ???

(This UI is GARBAGE)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2012, 12:13:37 AM »
The square smiley-face on the top bar goes to Friends List, and then you have to make a Mii if you haven't already, then your Mii card has your FC on it.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2012, 12:35:56 AM »
The square smiley-face on the top bar goes to Friends List, and then you have to make a Mii if you haven't already, then your Mii card has your FC on it.

Ah thanks. Also had to look up how to make folders. ::) I probably won't hate the UI when it stops shoving alert box tutorials in front of my face.

FC: 0388 - 0103 - 5734

I took the "standards" shot at you because you took the "your criticisms are not legitimate" shot at me first, Andrex.

I didn't just throw "your criticisms aren't legitimate" out there, I gave reasons why I thought they weren't legitimate. Like the floaty example.

The standards shot was just uncalled for and reeked of contempt.

As to why I would have played a game I didn't like more than someone who did like it, well, when you're a kid and you only get two games a year, you play what you get.  At least the span of Christmas '92 to birthday '93 wasn't as bad as birthday '90 to Christmas '90 when my new game was 8-Eye's.

Yeah? And you don't think I wasn't in a similar position? Hell I only ended up getting 3-4 games total for my GameBoy -- actually it wasn't even mine, it was my older sister's. SML2, Pokemon Blue, Kirby's Dreamland 2, and... probably one or two others.

Tasty

« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »
It'd be nice if you took back the standards jab. Otherwise I'll have the impression that you actually think your tastes are better than mine, and not just for this game.

How you interpreted my "non-legitimate" comment is up to you, but you have indeed taken it the wrong way, especially as I backed it up. Something you failed to do for your pointless and contemptuous standards insult.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2012, 01:14:32 AM »
I would have bought Samurai Warriors, Tales of the Abyss, and Ghost Recon but they weren't there.
SW is always good times. :rock
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2012, 01:17:38 AM »
Erm, thought I made it pretty clear it was just a cheap shot to hit back at you in a way I knew would bother you.  I'm not "taking it back", but there wasn't any truth behind it, if that helps any.  I just knew it would irritate you, so I used it.  That's as much as you'll get from me about it, I'm afraid.

It's profoundly irritating because of how much I value your opinion. If you think I have no taste or standards, I don't know what to do with that.

Tasty

« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:27:36 AM by Andrex »

Himu

« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2012, 03:01:01 AM »
jesus christ andrex, you are such a homo. You actually wrote that shit up instead of just having someone like lyte edge make up a 3ds friend codes thread, copy and paste peoples codes, and then sticky it? No, you have to go through all of that trouble make a google doc, write up some fancy code, and have people enter their crap on that site?

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2012, 03:18:15 AM »
jesus christ andrex, you are such a homo. You actually wrote that shit up instead of just having someone like lyte edge make up a 3ds friend codes thread, copy and paste peoples codes, and then sticky it? No, you have to go through all of that trouble make a google doc, write up some fancy code, and have people enter their crap on that site?

Someone has deflection issues.

This scales better in my experience. With what you propose, if lyte ever lost interest we'd be SOL. This way we just set it and forget it.

Seriously though, it took less than five minutes. And I didn't see anyone volunteering or rushing to do the alternative.

he had some anger to work out

some people work on projects when that happens, other people post pictures of giant fake wieners

:lol

Tasty

« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:52 AM »
Adding Oscar and Shaka~

frod

« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »
SML is a nice little speedrunner

SML2 is absolute garbage
f u

Tasty

« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »
Got like seven game demos queued for downloading. :rock

So great they actually have a semi-modern system for that. And that so many retail games I want have demos.

You know, the UI isn't so bad once you get passed the annoying tutorial messages and tuck all the junk into a folder and learn what the icons at the top mean, but I don't understand why the max zoomed in view is the default. And for the eShop, the two rows thing is just... bleh. And the way it's structured could use a bit of work, but it isn't so bad right now... I'm also not a fan of the aesthetics. The soft yellow, the grays, etc. Not a very beautiful OS or shop

Takao

« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:42 AM »
Whenever I boot up the eShop it asks me if I want to manually updated all those ambassador games I don't play. At which point I just turn the thing off, cause I'm lazy.

Tasty

« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2012, 04:55:23 AM »
There's way too many interstitials.

"Here's the game's screen. Purchase?" Yes.

"Use credit card?" Yes.

"Are you sure?" Yes.

"Do you want to download this game?" Yes.

"Are you sure?" Yes.

"Take a look at the ESRB rating. Is that OK?" Yes.

"Here's how many blocks it will take and how many you'll have leftover. Is that OK?" YES.

"Do you want to download it now or later?" NOW.

"Jeeze fine, it's downloading, no need to yell man." :maf