Author Topic: Cruncheons 35: Book Club, Surface RT, iPad Refresh, Fallen Enchantress, XCOM  (Read 10767 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/2vjcfg/Cruncheons35Halloween.mp3 

Doug returns just in time for the long-awaited Book Club edition, with talk of Horror,Sci-Fi, and Fantasy. Then it's on to the MS Surface RT, iPad Mini + 4, and general tablet talk. In Segment 2, Doug and Robert go in-depth on Fallen Enchantress and XCOM, followed by some quick hits on recent games.

SEGMENT ONE:

Book Club: Stephen Baxter, Jeremy Bishop's Torment (19:00), Scott Nicholson's The Red Church, Speed Dating with the Dead, The Skull Ring (26:15), Ian Tregillis (30:20), N. K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy (33:25)

Tablet Talk (38:00): iPad Mini, iPad 4, small-form tablets, Microsoft Surface RT & Pro (57:40)

SEGMENT TWO:

Borderlands and Diablo 3 redux (1:14:20)
Fallen Enchantress (1:29:15)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (1:53:30)
Quick Hits - Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Street Fighter x Tekken Vita, Anna, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (2:17:00)

Contest: Enter to win a games bundle (courtesy of longtime listener D3RANG3D) from Indiegamestand.com - The GeneForge Saga, Gnomoria, and a Mystery Game!

We'll talk with you again soon!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:34:58 AM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Haha, I actually have been told to leave dinner tables before for being "impolite company"
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I don't know when this ep will show in iTunes, btw. That's a direct link in the OP. Podbean was down all day, and now I can't get it to imbed in the feed no matter how many times I edit, it just disappears from the post. I emailed their support, but they're the most uncommunicative service I have ever used (they make me long for the Borecast libsyn days), so I don't expect much. Best to grab the link.
sup

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Still no Wii U roadshow impressions :(
itm

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i gave those on a previous episode!
duc

pilonv1

Which one? I must be losing my mind in my old age, can't remember it.
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Ok, I was wondering why it wasn't showing up on iTunes.  I'll direct download.

i gave those on a previous episode!

Wow, you must be getting senile in your old age:

Cruncheons 34: Borderlands 2, FTL, Torchlight 2, XCOM, Guild Wars 2: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=39067.msg1567161#msg1567161

Doug's stuck doing homework this episode, so Book Club and the Wii U Experience are vaporware yet AGAIN*

*It's still coming, we swear!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:52:26 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

pilonv1

I KNEW IT
itm

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
ok, it should be up on itunes soon
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
well! i am going senile! i'll hafta cut a wii u pre-launch hate special, then!
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
I need to remember to cancel my wii-u preorder- I just wanted the dude out of my face so I pre-ordered
o_0

MrAngryFace

http://www.circlemud.org/ -- MY touch-typing instructor. You cant look away from the screen but you have to buffer commands against the lag of your 14.4 connection ahhhhhh!
o_0

pilonv1

Enjoyed the business laptop talk. I spilled nearly a whole bottle of water over my Dell Latitude two weeks ago. Like if I tried I couldn't pour more water over it. Water coming out USB/eSata ports, if I picked it up and tilted it water would flow (not drip or dribble) out of it. Despite this sudden bathing it survived and hasn't missed a beat.
itm

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
I kinda want a Nexus 10...but the fact that Doug said the build quality of the 7 is crappy, yeah I know not by the same manufacturer then there is that whole incompatibility of apps on certain Android devices. :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:25:18 PM by D3RANG3D »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
I played with the Surface briefly, it just took me a few minutes to get decent at typing (touch typing) with the touch cover. I am really good at learning new instruments / interfaces / languages / etc though, YMMV if you're not as awesome as me.
QED

MrAngryFace

touch cover is great- im not going to bother with the type cover
o_0

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
something to note about XCOM:

1.)The grey market is your best friend.

2.) If you rage quit because a soldier died. You are a pussy.
©ZH

hampster

Excellent episode. I really enjoyed the tablet talk. In all the tablets you guys have gone through, have any of you bought or tried a note 10.1? I don't own a tablet but if I did I think it would be that one. I can't draw worth a shit, but kind of wish I did. Might be fun learning on a tablet

Also, first post on the bore :D
Zzz

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Welcome!

I've never tried a Note, but I've always been intrigued by it. Samsung's tablets always seem so underpowered compared to the competition, though. It's like they don't really give a shit and are just going through the motions of releasing a tablet every now and then.
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i have a tab 7.7, but i'd really like to try the note. good luck on me gettin THAT one past the wife after today's purchase :teehee
duc

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
i have a tab 7.7, but i'd really like to try the note. good luck on me gettin THAT one past the wife after today's purchase :teehee

What did you get a Surface or Ipad 4?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
You paid in full for a WiiU  :teehee
[close]

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Worse
duc

MrAngryFace

:teehee
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Did you get a slave, Van Cruncheon?
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
yes :-( i finally got tired of samsung/verizon/google sucking and went back to my abusive mommy apple

duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
watching the RDF descend over that iPad Mini GAF thread is hilarious:

Stage 1:  "Man, the screen is kinda bad."

Stage 2:  "After using it for a while, the screen isn't so bad."

Stage 3:  "I like the screen better, actually. Even though it isn't retina, it's much more intimate and warm."

Stage 4:  "This is the real iPad."

As someone not susceptible to that kind of bullshit, I ask you - is the screen as shitty as I think it probably is?

sup

MrAngryFace

IMO it benefits from the smaller dimensions- looks fine to me- its not retina but wtfever looks good.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
it's shitty. the galaxy tab 7.7 screen poops all over it. heck, even the surface looks better.
duc

MrAngryFace

I dunno- it looks ok; I mean from a JOE SCHMOE standpoint
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Saw it at Best Buy today. Screen not as bad as I thought, but still pretty fuzzy on tiny text. It's crazy light.
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i bought it because 7-8" is the perfect size <3

i can touch it all day
duc

cool breeze

I dunno- it looks ok; I mean from a JOE SCHMOE standpoint

yeah, but it's still billed as a premium product.  I don't mind all the problems with my nexus 7 because it's only ("only") $200.  For the more expensive Mini, I'd expect more for the money.  If there's a faster retina ipad mini, I'd upgrade right away.  I like iOS and I like small tablets. 7-8 inch is the perfect faffing around size.  For some reason 10 inch gets me thinking it's big enough that it should replace a net/notebook for real work.

MrAngryFace

i've owned the first three generations of iPad and I still dont see how its anything more than a device for consuming media
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
you can do productive stuff on it, you just have to needlessly go around your elbow to get to your ass every time

i can write on it using google drive/docs, but that isn't optimal
sup

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
I expected something truly shameful like a second Vita or something. :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
i've owned the first three generations of iPad and I still dont see how its anything more than a device for consuming media

I think this is the main reason why I haven't went to a tablet.  Despite its small screen size, there is a lot that I can do with my 4S.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Honestly, I have been considering dumping my iPad 3, getting a 16GB mini, and just keeping the leftover cash. I kind of want out of the Apple ecosystem, but between the iPod Touch I used to own, the iPad 1 I had to sell, and the 3 I now own, I've dropped around $150 in apps over the years. That's hard to walk away from, particularly if I had to rebuy a lot of that stuff on another tablet. The Mini would let me continue to use those apps, and I'd have around $150 left to put in my pocket (coincidentally around the amount I've already spent on Apps).  If I ever wanted to upgrade in the future, it would cost a lot less money to do so.  The screen isn't great, to put it kindly, but while I was at Best Buy I checked out some comics online and they seemed fine (the extra screen real estate actually made them a little more readable than the Nexus 7). I dunno, just kicking it around for now.
sup

MrAngryFace

I can do MOST things i'd want to do with a netbook on my Surface- but what i'd really like is for it to be my go-to work machine; waiting on the Pro for that. For now it's my note taking/email sending/forum browsing/communicating device while @ work. Also nice n subtle device for killing time during meetings ;)
o_0

hampster

I think this is the main reason why I haven't went to a tablet.  Despite its small screen size, there is a lot that I can do with my 4S.

I still use an old ipod touch for all my tablet needs. But my eye sight isn't what it used to be, I think I'll need to upgrade soon
Zzz