Author Topic: The Hobbit: An Expected Cash-In  (Read 11935 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: The Hobbit: An Expected Cash-In
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »
HAIRY HOBBIT FEET WHEELS OF CHEESE DWARF SONGZ THE END
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
HAIRY HOBBIT FEET WHEELS OF CHEESE DWARF SONGZ THE END

forgot

FAT GOBLINS ANGRY ORCS N GOLLUMS
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Loved the movie, I know I'm in the minority but I found with way better than any of the LOTR films, but I deffinetly agree with a lot of it's criticism.

My theater loved it! there was one chick in the row in front of me that was really into the movie, gasping and putting her hands on her head during some of the action scenes and clapping when the dwarf got out of harms way, I kind of envy how much she enjoyed it :lol
:lol I know what you mean.  My wife's cousins watch all sorts of shitty movies.  Anything that they watch is "awesome!" and I "have to see it!".  I really wish I could be entertained like that.  No snark.

the only hobbit film is the 70's one.

Chip the glasses and crack the plates! Blunt the knives and bend the forks! That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!

That song is in this version :P

If you liked the LotR trilogy, you'll like this.  It has some lighter hearted moments but not as much as the book, and there's some added stuff (Radagast, etc) that wasn't in the book.  Seems like people are shitting on it because they want something to shit on or don't like the genre.

Full disclosure:  I'm a fantasy nerd, so this tickles my nerd prostate in all the right places.  YMMV.
Yeah I see people talking about the pacing and then drooling over the LOTR Extended Editions.  I love the EE's but you're on fucking crack if you don't think they moved at glacier speed. 

The criticisms seem to be mostly petty or nonsensical.  "the story is very childish"   Uhhh.  Yeah.  It's fantasy... and have you read this shit?

I can't wait to see it tonight.  :hyper :hyper  Hyped as fuck

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2012, 11:08:29 AM »
Holy fuck I want that too :(

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, if these do enough bank I'm sure we'll see them soon enough. They will totally fuck it up though. #teamfflewdur

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
Wait, it's a trilogy now?

Two based on the book, one that's a bridge between The Hobbit and LOTR.

The first movie is just a few minutes shy of 3 hours.

All three are The Hobbit, the "bridge" movie isn't happening. Anything in that third movie is added into the main trilogy.

Basically it's:

An Unexpected Journey - Everything in The Hobbit up to the Eagles, plus White Council and Radagast/Dol Guldur stuff from the Appendices in ROTK (plus Thorin backstory from the Appendices).

Desolation of Smaug - All the Smaug stuff, plus more Appendices. Likely will have Gandalf, Radagast, and Saruman in Dol Guldur facing the Necromancer.

There And Back Again - The Battle of Five Armies and again more stuff from the Appendices. I know there was one point where Jackson said he wanted to film the stuff with Aragorn and Gandalf hunting Gollum, but who knows if that will actually happen.
CBG

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Going to see the high frames 3d version in a couple of hours. I think I'm more interested to see the tech than the movie honestly.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »
I really liked it  :o

Saw it in HFR 3D, and at first the frame rate was really strange, but once the movie gets rolling with more sweeping set pieces and not confined to just a hobbit hole, you forget about it.  I thought it was really beneficial to the act scenes.  Very cool shit.  Also probably the best 3D movie I've seen.

It was as per usual too long, and the Radagast shit is just stupid.  Too childish.  Other than that though, everything was great.
püp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
Saw the Hobbit in 2d, its not like the book but its ok. There is one thing that changes the dynamic of the book entirely.
spoiler (click to show/hide)

The movie is still cool with some nice additions
but its not omgawd like lotr was.

I would have liked if peter jackson tried something fresh in the look, not the epic melodrama maybe but a bit more down to earth adventure/look/feel but while retaining thw humour. The movie has funny bits, but its nowhere near as lighthearted as the book I loved more the Lotr.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
I really liked it  :o

Saw it in HFR 3D, and at first the frame rate was really strange, but once the movie gets rolling with more sweeping set pieces and not confined to just a hobbit hole, you forget about it.  I thought it was really beneficial to the act scenes.  Very cool shit.  Also probably the best 3D movie I've seen.

It was as per usual too long, and the Radagast shit is just stupid.  Too childish.  Other than that though, everything was great.

A nintendo fan calling the radegast bit childish. My browser is imploding.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »
I honestly just didn't see the point of him.  It's been a while since I read The Hobbit but I don't remember him having that much of a role.  It was cheesy and his animal friends made the film feel more like a Disney movie.
püp

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
Yeah the bitching in the press about the 48fps actually sort of makes me wanna see it. They're all like "it makes it look like a really expensive version of an old BBC show" and I'm all like "and the downside is ... ?"
QED

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
I honestly just didn't see the point of him.  It's been a while since I read The Hobbit but I don't remember him having that much of a role.  It was cheesy and his animal friends made the film feel more like a Disney movie.

He's in the appendix of lotr. The booka was much more lighthearted than this movie, and I think he was a welcome addition even if trivial.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
Yeah the bitching in the press about the 48fps actually sort of makes me wanna see it. They're all like "it makes it look like a really expensive version of an old BBC show" and I'm all like "and the downside is ... ?"

I'm the same way. The more they bitched, the more the contrarian part of me wants to see it to make up my own mind.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »
Going to see the high frames 3d version in a couple of hours. I think I'm more interested to see the tech than the movie honestly.

That's what got me to go see the movie day one. And it did not disappoint, when it comes to 3d movies having the extra information for the brain to process works a million times better than 24fps ever did. Motion that was once blurred by the post processing effects in 3d are now sharp and clean 3d elements that add a sense of much needed complexity and depth.

I was also surprised to note that my theater had just finished installing a Dolby Atmos installation, but unfortunately for me The Hobbit did not come with that soundtrack.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »
I was quite surprise by the drug allusions regarding the brown wizard since this was supposed to be based on a children's book, both scenes got a big laugh out of the audience.

The movie was quite a looker.
Drunk

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
And we watched an ep of Adventure Time last night that had both of us in tears :lol You never know what you'll get with that show

Laughing tears or the sadsies? Which episode?

I'm not excited for this movie at all, not interested in anyway either.

Genuine tears of sadness - even my wife was teary and she only glances at the show while we are watching. The episode is 'I Remember You' but most of its power is from an unexpected reveal that plays on your whole history to date with 2 side characters. Never saw it coming. It uses some fairly standard tearjerker plot points I guess, but the way they exploit this (using a song written by one character about another, sung by the other character to the first, who has subsequently lost any memory of writing it or who they once were or what their relationship was...) is just masterful. Even thinking about it now has me welling up :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
The Hobbit was great btw, loved it. Long but light on its feet, and I had the impression that Jackson was feeling liberated from a heavy narrative - real sense of play throughout, like I had with Tintin (which I also loved). Totally down for more. And the 48fps 3D IMAX was the most amazing image quality i've ever seen, only marred by the horrible Japanese subtitles at fixed depth throughout.
vjj

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
forgot we had a thread for this:

I really liked The Hobbit. I felt it did a far better job of invoking the feel of fantasy adventure story than the LOTR movies did. Specifically with giving character to the "enemies" that are faced:
The trolls, then goblins.
[close]

I think the films problem is that barely anything happens and it's literally ALL setup for the events to come. Nothing of real substance happens. And in a weird sense, it's basically a remake of Fellowship. It follows a lot of the same beats and the events mirror Fellowship fairly closely.

That said. I got a lot of enjoyment watching it. The riddles scene was quite good as were the action set pieces.

and my follow up question:

So did anyone see the HFR version? I don't really think my theatre has that capability. Or maybe i'm just completely ignorant to the concept. For most of the film it looked like any other film (except 3d) but there was a few specific moments (Rivendell especially) where I could swear it was in a higher frame rate. it was jarring because it was just a few moments.
nat

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
The Hobbit was great btw, loved it. Long but light on its feet, and I had the impression that Jackson was feeling liberated from a heavy narrative - real sense of play throughout, like I had with Tintin (which I also loved). Totally down for more. And the 48fps 3D IMAX was the most amazing image quality i've ever seen, only marred by the horrible Japanese subtitles at fixed depth throughout.

At the same time, he's still able to nail some genuine emotion at points; despite idiot reviewers saying the movie lacked any of the same emotion LOTR had.

Bilbo telling the Dwarves that he'll help them find their home because they don't have one.
[close]

and

Thorin's reaction to Bilbo after being dropped off by the Eagles.
[close]
CBG

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »
I'm in the theater right now waiting for himu to show up

ManaByte

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »

You have a hole cut in the popcorn bucket?
CBG

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »

Use protection, god knows what himu has been doing at the park.
Drunk

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »

Use protection, god knows what himu has been doing at the park.

sometimes even god closes his eyes.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
I'm off all next week, so I'm gonna go see it on a weekday afternoon to miss some of the crowds. Going all-in, 48fps and everything. The haters ain't gonna get me down.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
Totally forgot to add- the 48 fps WAS really cool in 3d.  I think if it wasn't 3d, it would probably annoy me, but 3d is still "new" enough that adding something else new to it adds to the experience I think.  Definitely the best 3d I've seen yet.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
Saw it a few hours ago.

I guess you could analysis the 48 frames thing on a few different levels.

First off it was jarring for me at first. Even going in with my contrarion attitude and having read the previews it doesn't quite prepare you. It really does at first kinda strike you like the stereotypes. My initial impresion was sort of a bbc teleplay. It has that feel and emotion to it which I can definitely attribute to the 48 fps because the Lord of the Rings movies didn't feel that way.

Then for me after about 30 minutes you just kinda notice yourself getting use to it and by the end I was fine with it. In fact in special effects heavy movies like this I think it works quite well. Now I wouldn't want to see Casablanca or Fincher's seven in 48 frame because for me it would give works like those a different tonal feel but for stuff that is fantasy or lots of fantastical cg stuff like a superhero movie it would be fine.

It also really helps the 3-D. I didn't have any of the eye fatigue that tends to accompany 3-D films.

As far as the actual movie, I liked it, but I probably didn't like it as much as any of the three LOTR movies. A bit too slow although Martin Freeman nails it. And I didn't have a problem with the other dwarves. For me they helped tone down the overly serious tone that Peter Jackson brings to these movies which grates on me at times.

Himu

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »
Saw the movie with Mups and his lovely wife.

Eh...I mixed on it, but I'm mostly disappointed.

One thing, I couldn't stand the 48 frames per second. I thought it made the movie feel cheap, just like an animated gif with too many frames does (as in, the action moves too fast). It felt like a day time soap opera in terms of editing because of it.

As I think about the movie, I lean on 'not liking it' because I'm starting to forget what happened besides the pivotal moments. I felt the film was overly wrought, had very inconsistent pacing, was mostly dull in its approach, and many scenes (goblins and warg sections) felt like fan fiction. It really reminded me of The Phantom Menace in its excessive use of cg in the stead of tight narrative and storytelling. Not that it's as bad as TPM, but it certainly reminded me of it.

I thought that many key scenes (Gollum, the Dwarves first arriving at Bag End) were ruined by Peter Jacksonism. They bored to me tears.

On the other hand, the film has a lot of great scenes on its plate as well.

I can't say it's a bad movie, because it isn't, but I can't say it's a great movie either. It felt very middling, and was a far cry from the LOTR trilogy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:37:28 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »
one of my brothers just got out of a later showing, said he really didn't like it. He's read the book but said it felt beyond "childish" into Jar Jar territory, and featured cringe worthy lines. He had no problem with the fps outside of during effects scenes, which he said looked horrible.

bah, I doubt I'll see it anytime soon

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2012, 02:45:37 AM »
Further confirmation:  fantasy just isn't for minorities :smug

Hooray, white people get to keep NASCAR and orcs!
yar

Himu

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »
one of my brothers just got out of a later showing, said he really didn't like it. He's read the book but said it felt beyond "childish" into Jar Jar territory, and featured cringe worthy lines. He had no problem with the fps outside of during effects scenes, which he said looked horrible.

bah, I doubt I'll see it anytime soon

Some scenes have really amateurish camera work and lighting. The part where they find the cave with the Elven weapons in particular. In my mind, I was saying,"holy shit, did a community college student do this shot?" in my head.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
I loved it. 48 fps looked great. It made it look stunning to me. I have never seen such clean pan shots. 

as far as the actual movie, I still loved it. But it really felt like PJ's version of a LOTR prequel based on a mishmash of fanfic and other Tolkien stories. I really don't get how you could say there are jar jar moments or that it is childish if you're familiar with the book. The book IS childish. If anything I felt the constant forced tension and inconsistent tones were more problematic. Again though, I loved it. It was on my mind the whole night and even when I woke up. Needless to say, I was happy as hell to go back to middle earth.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
I enjoyed how the tone of the movie was more "childish". It worked better for the story they were telling.

The scene near the end that's in the trailers, where Bilbo tells the dwarves he will help get their home back, was really well done.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
I enjoyed how the tone of the movie was more "childish". It worked better for the story they were telling.

The scene near the end that's in the trailers, where Bilbo tells the dwarves he will help get their home back, was really well done.
yeah. I loved that part.

they even went to certain lengths to make it less childish I think. Radagast seemed toned down and I have a feeling the eagles didn't talk for that same reason.Though perhaps they will in the sequel considering that's when they do in the book.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »
loved martin freeman, too
püp

Himu

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
It felt like they didn't know what movie they wanted to make: The Hobbit, or an epic sweeping LOTR film. The Hobbit is not Lord of the Rings; Mups and I were talking about that very thing before the film started. But in terms of execution, this is a film that has a war speech and goblin beheadings on top of a character being covered in troll snot. Felt inconsistent. One is not the other.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:27:37 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Was Bombur the fat dwarf? I remember in the book there was a fat dwarf who kinda got picked on.
QED

Himu

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »
yes bombur is the fat dwarf
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
yes bombur is the fat dwarf

was he in the movie? I can't remember any scenes with a fat dwarf being fat
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
bombur is in the movie, but not all of the dwarves in this movie are fat. Many are in shape and skinny. But yeah, bombur's character in the film is essentially HAHA HE'S FAT
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:36:47 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
Enjoyed this a lot. Worst thing was the brown wizard (Radagas?). Don't remember him being in the book, seemed like a poor addition of some stoner humour.

Ah, right he was mentioned in the book but briefly. Been a long time since I read the Hobbit...

In regards to the third film I figure it's going to be based on Appendices and other Tolkien material bridging the time between The Hobbit and FOTR. It would be the height of arrogance if PJ decides he can come up with an original story. Dude is a major tosser though so I guess it wouldn't be out of character
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:39:24 PM by quietID »
◕‿◕

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
I loved it. 48 fps looked great. It made it look stunning to me. I have never seen such clean pan shots. 

as far as the actual movie, I still loved it. But it really felt like PJ's version of a LOTR prequel based on a mishmash of fanfic and other Tolkien stories. I really don't get how you could say there are jar jar moments or that it is childish if you're familiar with the book. The book IS childish. If anything I felt the constant forced tension and inconsistent tones were more problematic. Again though, I loved it. It was on my mind the whole night and even when I woke up. Needless to say, I was happy as hell to go back to middle earth.
Thank you. I totally agree 100%.

The only thing I don't like is how much they changed the character of Thorin from the books. I understand why though
yeah. That bugged me but it was a personal "that's not the book" gripe

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
bombur is in the movie, but not all of the dwarves in this movie are fat. Many are in shape and skinny. But yeah, bombur's character in the film is essentially HAHA HE'S FAT

IIRC that was more or less his character in the book too
QED

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
I haven't read the hobbit in a long time, what was so different about thorin in the movie?
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
also the misty mountain's cold as the main theme to the score was wonderful
püp

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »
also the misty mountain's cold as the main theme to the score was wonderful

So good

I assume everyone liked the HFR 3D? First time I felt comfortable watching 3D at the movies, it would be amazing if all action blockbusters start using this
◕‿◕

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
I see a bunch of people on twitter complaining about headaches from it. I loved it but then I play most games in 3D at a higher framerate than that so it was no biggie.

I felt the perspective was weirdly off in the first few minutes and blamed it on me being slow to acclimate to the HFR, but thinking about it now, that bit was all in Bag End and they were doing all sorts of camera trickery to pull off the different heights anyway. The BR commentary tracks/special features on it should be interesting.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »
 :o totally forgot about the prospects for BR.  jackson loooooooves some extra features.  gonna be sexy
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
it's the first time i saw a movie and thought, the Blu-Ray is going to be so disappointing, visually. :'(

Bring on those 4K 120mhz 3D TVs i guess
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
for real
püp

ManaByte

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
Movie sets new December box office record, BoxOfficeMojo calls it a failure:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3587&p=.htm
CBG

Robo

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »
I saw this this morning and really liked it, surprisingly, considering the LOTR trilogy is terrible.
obo

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
robo  :'(
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
Movie sets new December box office record, BoxOfficeMojo calls it a failure:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3587&p=.htm

Yeah, there reasoning is just...stupid. It made $11 million more in its opening weekend than Return of the King and I'm pretty sure nobody considers that to be a box office failure. It'll make big money over the next couple of weeks.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »
I guess everyone should have seen it coming, but the interview with Christopher Tolkien where he talks for the first time about the movies is depressing. New Line is using the old studio accounting trickery to claim the LOTR trilogy movies made a loss and not giving the estate a penny. Same will happen with The Hobbit. Sickening.
vjj

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »
Christopher Tolkien is an ass.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
New Line is using the old studio accounting trickery to claim the LOTR trilogy movies made a loss and not giving the estate a penny.

lol, the fuck?

Just shy of 3 billion worldwide gross revenue for 3 movies, and trying to claim a loss?  Suuuuure, New Line, suuuure....
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
Christopher Tolkien is an ass.

Well ya, that too.
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »
I haven't read the hobbit in a long time, what was so different about thorin in the movie?

Thorin isn't really a noble king in exile who is doing it all because he wants his homeland back; in the book he's kind of a dick that wants the gold.  Also, he didn't wound the pale orc in the book; that was his cousin Dain, and the orc didn't come back later for revenge- he actually died.
yar