Author Topic: star trek  (Read 329475 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: star trek
« Reply #1200 on: February 28, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
lol. Discounting whether the game is any good or not, are there really enough fans to make something like this viable. I mean I know Star Trek online has been going for a long time now but this....
this has been up on Steam/iOS/Google Play/etc. for a while: http://store.steampowered.com/app/600750/Star_Trek_Timelines/

and this has been in "beta" for a while:
https://startrek.gamesamba.com/

they've actually jumped into F2P quite a bit now that i think about it, there's star trek trexels: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yesgnome.startrek&hl=en

and star trek WRATH OF GEMS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.gi.startrek

benjipwns

« Reply #1201 on: February 28, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »
Online must make them big bucks compared to the cost, they pulled in LeVar Burton to do a bunch of voice work/face capture/etc. for the latest "season" i saw, always intended to play more of that but it's one of those endlessly slow first ten hours or so F2P MMO's unless you just skip to the seasonal events

i kinda wish that CBS would take a chance on a Master of Orion/Civ clone, now that the license is all in one place instead of split between TOS and TNG like it was between Microprose and Activision

i played way too much Birth of the Federation while being anal about its inaccurate canon, even the free fan-remake Supremacy doesn't resolve the timelines right, even if it does eliminate my favorite gaming memory leak until that PS3 Skyrim situation came about

Elite Force were pretty legit games too, especially for the time, as FPSes they're pretty close to Half-Life rip-offs than most other stuff in the era

benjipwns

« Reply #1202 on: February 28, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
then again, i played all the way through that new Kirk 2013 Star Trek game and enjoyed it way more and thought it was way better scripted than the Abrams films that it caused box office troubles for (source: JJ)

i'm not going to lie and pretend it's not complete jank, especially since my steam account has a bunch of screenshots i took of the bugs and random jank, but the "gaming journalism" treatment of that game was amusing especially as i doubt anyone played it for very long since it wasn't horribly buggy to unplayable levels, never crashed on me and a lot of the videos i saw from "professionals" were from them not paying the slightest attention and missing obvious on-screen directions...it's one thing when GB's Quick Looks do that, but a lot of the reviews were calling it confusing and hard to figure out and it's linear as all fuck and blatantly obvious what you have to do until a certain point where it actually opens up, gives you multiple objectives and you can see where at one point the game was intended to be much more than it became probably due to deadlines...

one reason i think a lot of the reviews didn't play through is they don't mention how many things the game forgets about, especially abilities it gives you for the combat like hacking into panels to put up forcefields and force the enemy to move around them, etc., the levels just sorta stop having any of that in them...but the reviews are all just "animation sucks, bugs, things clip!!!, bugs!, STUFF CLIPS THROUGH WALLS!, CAMERA SUCKS IF YOU MOVE IT WRONG! PLUS SO MANY BUGS"

but then i also love jank-ass jank games, also completely breaking the Spock AI (since i played as Kirk) to where it would stop functioning altogether by doing minor sequence breaking provided much amusement

spoiler (click to show/hide)
non game breaking lovable jank examples:
kirk's weapon decides to cloak for some reason: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179665038 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179664913
kirk's weapon fires out of its side for some reason: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=142946084
pair of enemies randomly freeze during massive shootout around this whole area: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144858198
a waypoint from the start of the mission never goes away even through multiple cutscenes and like an hour of total time: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144857949
you can maneuver the camera to see inside heads and it's great: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144857872

actual one of the few game-breaking moments that were mostly my fault, i needed Spock's help to get through a door farther on in the level, but because i jumped down from this beam to the floor instead of taking the intended lengthy route across the wall (the yellow bars on the back wall are ones you do wall climbing on) and then across some platforms to come back down, he broke and stayed up there no matter how many times i called him...until i ran back up and physically pushed him off (because i wasn't going to do all that stupid wall crap)

because it's right after these screens, a huge budget AAA major title also sometimes gets janky, in far more disturbing ways:
[close]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:05:24 AM by benjipwns »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1203 on: March 13, 2018, 01:18:38 AM »
That 360 movie game wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. I played through it co-op with a friend online and enjoyed it. The space jump segment was annoying as fuck though. Both players had to pass the whole thing to continue on and I feel like we spent a goddamn eternity on it for that reason.

I spent a couple of months with ST Online and really liked the game, but it really pushes the "spend money" angle but almost all MMOs do now so that's just how it is. They made some changes to the away mission that made combat feel better as well. Plus I'm way into having your crew down there and customize them. I dropped a few bucks to get a Borg crew member and came very close to buying some ships too but they really threw the ship upgrades at you left and right. Plus you can customize and decorate your ship and captain's quarters so that was a whole other addiction. So of course I gave my crew all DS9 uniforms and had the Defiant-style bridge as my bridge. :lol

I'd spend a lot of time just rolling around on the star map and just getting into battles with Borg cubes or whatever else was out there rather than doing the episodes too, cause the game can be pretty nice looking at times, especially the ship stuff.

Now I'm tempted to re-install this weekend :lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:24:05 AM by nachobro »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1204 on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:04 AM »
I used to play STO on PC, might get it on console now, how's the controls for console?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1205 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
Never played on console but I was using a 360 controller on PC for a bit and that was pretty good. Ground missions played sorta like Gears and flying the ship was pretty smooth, but not as smooth as mouse. I imagine they've improved it since 2015 though.

And looking at those pics, I realize I haven't played STO since I got my new PC so now I have to reinstall to see what it looks like on newer than decade old hardware :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #1206 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1207 on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
I love Quark, his episodes are among the most fun in DS9.

Although I hate his mother

DS9 is so fucking good Ive seen all episodes too many times now..

now its time to pick and choose some quality voyager episodes.

Ive not seen TNG.. but going back to it is so hard
What

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1208 on: April 05, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
“I don’t think Quentin is going to direct it,” Pegg told the Happy Sad Confused podcast. “Because he’s got his California movie [Once Upon A Time In Hollywood] to do and then I think only doing one more film after that. And I doubt, I don’t think he could get around to directing a Star Trek in two-three years.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-trek/272338/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-might-not-happen-says-simon-pegg

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1209 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:55 PM »
“I don’t think Quentin is going to direct it,” Pegg told the Happy Sad Confused podcast. “Because he’s got his California movie [Once Upon A Time In Hollywood] to do and then I think only doing one more film after that. And I doubt, I don’t think he could get around to directing a Star Trek in two-three years.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-trek/272338/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-might-not-happen-says-simon-pegg

Between this and the Rey-Rey's Lineage comments, Simon Pegg's talking a little too much about other people's bizness.

benjipwns

« Reply #1210 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:46 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1211 on: April 10, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1212 on: April 19, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »
Been on a marathon of DS9.  I've watched a few eps before, and I liked them but I didn't think i'd take to it as much as i have. I found the beginning slow and wanting, events could've heated up a lot faster in the gamma quadrant; e.g why Sisko didn't get a ship like the Defiant a lot earlier considering they controlled the ONLY stable wormhole allowing instantaneous travel to another part of the galaxy really baffled me.

The pinnacle so far, and now favourite Trek season, was 4. I've never really felt affected by a Trek episode before, but a few episodes in S4 got to me. 5 and 6 mostly held up the high quality, but season 7 is waning already. I'm keen to see who Ezri makes out with first, but her handling has been pretty average. I was anticipating getting some insight into Trill, as she went through some post-join training to ease her transition. Instead she's just thrust back into Starfleet, and expected to deal with a huge psychological change with next to no preparation. Sisko is losing the fucking plot, i barely care and am just waiting on the next lazy deus ex machina event to save the Alpha quadrant, and tbh I don't dig the Pah Wraith x Wormhole Alien thing. They also got a little too heavy handed with the use of time paradoxes. But y'know it's all a dream anyway so whatevs right  :P. Overall i love how wild DS9 is, far from perfect, but it's got a lot of heart. Odo >> Data.

edit; less nonsense rambling on Ezri :p Nicole de Boer tho :shaq

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:12:59 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1213 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:43 AM »
Kinda curious, how do north americans pronounce 'de Boer'?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1214 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »
Kinda curious, how do north americans pronounce 'de Boer'?

"de banana"

Stoney Mason

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1216 on: April 29, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1217 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »
Quark and Odo's Tsundere for each other :rejoice
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:32:35 PM by D3RANG3D »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1218 on: June 05, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
The Bajoran/Cardassian conflict in DS9 is clearly an allegory for Palestine/Israel and i don't care what the writers say. Kira was talking about fasting because it's when the prophet did blablabla, shit was obvious.

Then who do the Ferengi represent.

:jawalrus

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1219 on: June 05, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »
I'm teasing.

I never honestly looked up what the writers were going for with the Bajor/Cardassian thing. As I kid, I always assumed it was another Nazi Germany parallel but yeah the Palestine/Israel conflict also seems fitting in certain aspects.

benjipwns

« Reply #1220 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:20 AM »
the writers were trying to downplay it because it was the only attention the show was getting, and it wasn't intended to be a parallel with any specific historical occupation they took from lots of various ones to construct it

iirc the maquis were intended to be more of one

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1221 on: June 06, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
He got better as it went along. By better I mean he was given better material. I didn't like him much in the early years but they did some interesting stuff with him as it went on.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1222 on: June 14, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1223 on: June 14, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »
LOOOOLLLLLLLLL Alex Kurtzman is EPing Discovery now LOOOOOLLLLLLLL

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1224 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/19/alex-kurtzman-star-trek-series/

On one hand cool there is a resurgence of interest in Trek.

On the other hand, let's not run it into the ground again please.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1225 on: June 20, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »
That's it for me and star trek I guess. It's been a good two decades, but I'm not watching any of alex kurtzman's green lighted drek.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1226 on: June 28, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
https://trekmovie.com/2018/06/27/star-trek-discovery-wins-best-streaming-series-saturn-award-martin-green-wins-for-acting/

Nice job Discovery.

Not so keen on a lot of the Patrick Stewart rumours but I would truly dig a new animated show. That would solve a lot of problems inherent in the budget of any sci-fi show and also allow more alien interaction kind of stories.

As far as new content I will take it on a piece by piece basis and judge it that way. There is definitely a danger to having too much Trek on TV because it starts to run out of new material to push but since I like Discovery, I'll keep an open mind.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1227 on: June 28, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
'The latest Trek show beat out genre entries from other steaming services including Altered Carbon (Netflix), Black Mirror (Netflix), The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu), Mindhunter (Netflix), Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams (Amazon / Sony Television), and Stranger Things (Netflix).'

How the absolute fuck? Are the judges drunk? lmao

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1228 on: July 01, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1229 on: July 12, 2018, 04:24:47 AM »
random trek clip of the day, mainly for the last 20 seconds and how matter-of-fact they are :lol

also Q's haircut :picard

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1230 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
"...I'll alert the crew."

:lol
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1231 on: July 20, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »

This afternoon at the Discovery panel at San Diego Comic-Con’s Hall H, co-creator and current showrunner Alex Kurtzman announced Star Trek: Short Treks, a series of monthly short-form stories that will function like bonus content and air on CBS All Access in conjunction with the larger Star Trek: Discovery series. CBS says Short Treks, which will air in installments of about 10 to 15 minutes, is “an opportunity for deeper storytelling and exploration of key characters and themes that fit into… the expanding Star Trek universe.”

Among the planned episodes: a Harvey Mudd episode directed by (and, of course, starring) Rainn Wilson; a sidebar for Ensign Sylvia Tilly (Mary Wiseman); an episode starring Aldis Hodge (AKA Jack from the Black Mirror episode “Black Museum”) as a man stranded on a deserted ship; and, best of all, a much-needed deep dive into Lieutenant Commander Saru, the first (and evidently only) Kelpien in Starfleet.

“There is no shortage of compelling stories to tell in the Star Trek universe that inspire, entertain, and either challenge our preconceived ideas or affirm long held beliefs, and we are excited to broaden the universe already with Short Treks,” Kurtzman said in a press release. “Each episode will deliver closed-ended stories while revealing clues about what’s to come in future Star Trek: Discovery episodes. They’ll also introduce audiences to new characters who may inhabit the larger world of Star Trek.”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/17596472/star-trek-discovery-short-treks-season-2-spock-number-one-comic-con-sdcc-2018

Tasty

« Reply #1232 on: July 20, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1233 on: July 20, 2018, 09:30:40 PM »
@ that trailer: :larry

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1234 on: July 20, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »
Full admission, I don't even watch trailers anymore including that one. They give away too much in all formats for my taste. I post them though because I know other people don't have my same sensibilities on that kind of stuff.

Tasty

« Reply #1235 on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Full admission, I don't even watch trailers anymore including that one. They give away too much in all formats for my taste. I post them though because I know other people don't have my same sensibilities on that kind of stuff.

I do the same sometimes, no worries.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1236 on: July 20, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
They really made Pike look a lot like Mitt Romney. Though I guess he already kinda did. Either way season 2 already look to be a big improvement.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1237 on: July 20, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »
THIS IS THE POWER OF MATH, PEOPLE

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1238 on: August 04, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1239 on: August 05, 2018, 07:01:09 AM »
Star Trek : The last generation.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1240 on: August 05, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
This is almost certainly going to turn out in way that nobody wants, but Patrick Stewart is great in anything so I'll watch it probably.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1241 on: August 05, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
It’s Picard. It’s Stewart. To turn down seeing him as Picard one last time? Hell no. Must watch for me even if it’s flawed.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1242 on: August 05, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »
This is almost certainly going to turn out in way that nobody wants, but Patrick Stewart is great in anything so I'll watch it probably.

I'll of course watch it, but yeah generally speaking I'm not a fan of rehashing rather than creating something new. But as you say Stewart is generally good no matter what and I'm a Trek fan so its a mandatory watch.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1243 on: August 05, 2018, 08:38:38 PM »
I just want goofy early-90s space adventures with Captain Picard, please.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1244 on: August 05, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
I just want goofy early-90s space adventures with Captain Picard, please.

I want a serious serialized, philosophical Star Trek with Picard.

More ‘Darmok’ Trek and less ‘Q teleported a Marachi band to the 24th century’ or ‘we’ve turned the officers of starship Enterprise into children hahahahaha isn’t this funny - no it isn’t’ Trek.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:12:37 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1245 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
I'll just keep rewatching TNG, but I'm up for more Sir Pat anytime.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1246 on: August 06, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1247 on: August 06, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
I really want this new Star Trek to also have Ian McKellen.

dog

Tasty

« Reply #1248 on: August 06, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »
Make new things. Jesus, make new things. :(

Himu

« Reply #1249 on: August 07, 2018, 10:44:37 PM »
Rewatching Voyager for the first time since I was a teenager in a few weeks and I'm going to take you all down with me.  :doge

TNG isn't my favorite Star Trek. But this really made me emotional.
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #1250 on: August 07, 2018, 10:55:27 PM »
Fuck this dead franchise if it’s not giving me Kirk.
serge

Himu

« Reply #1251 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:19 PM »
you just want to see shatner shoot his 87 year old load.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1252 on: August 09, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1253 on: August 10, 2018, 07:40:22 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-4-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-talks-fall-1133802?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=Direct&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Pine was due to reprise his role as iconic sci-fi hero Captain Kirk, which he has inhabited for three movies, while Hemsworth was to have played his father in a time-traveling adventure. (Hemsworth played the role in the prologue in the 2009 movie that rebooted the franchise.)

The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget.

The actors, according to sources, insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.

Tasty

« Reply #1254 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
I'd bitch at Paramount always being so fucking stingy with this series, but their stinginess led to the second-best Trek movie so ehhhh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1255 on: August 10, 2018, 11:39:23 PM »
Chris Pine's Kirk is pretty great, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take over the role.

Tasty

« Reply #1256 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:00 PM »
Chris Pine's Kirk is pretty great, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take over the role.

No more Kirks please.

Make 👏🏻 new 👏🏻 things 👏🏻

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1257 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:07 PM »
Honestly now that Trek is back on TV, I don't really care what happens with the movies. Let em do whatever they want.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1258 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »

No more Kirks please.

Make 👏🏻 new 👏🏻 things 👏🏻

I'm all for new things but let's be real. They aren't making new trek movies with crew no one has ever heard of. Trek movies only exist on the back of established characters.

Tasty

« Reply #1259 on: August 10, 2018, 11:59:37 PM »

No more Kirks please.

Make 👏🏻 new 👏🏻 things 👏🏻

I'm all for new things but let's be real. They aren't making new trek movies with crew no one has ever heard of. Trek movies only exist on the back of established characters.

This is exactly why Discovery should never have been a prequel. Goddamnit.