Author Topic: star trek  (Read 330927 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: star trek
« Reply #1440 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
voyager is a series with good moments that veered a bit too much "action trek" for me. janeway and the crew are all good though, and that helps me like it a lot more.

year of hell is one of the best episodes of any trek imo

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1441 on: September 24, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Have someone compiled just how many ladies Ryker fucked across TNG ?

It seems to get worse and worse as his role in the series gets smaller.
ὕβρις

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1442 on: September 24, 2018, 02:56:58 PM »
Voyagers first holodeck episode is better than every TNG holodeck episode.

Def shaping up to be “TNG but better.”

Wait until you get to the Fairhaven holodeck episodes
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #1443 on: September 24, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1444 on: September 25, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
"Nimoy don't accept our proposals."
"Shit. Let's just do an episode with his dad then."

One month later

"Nimoy called, he's ok to shoot."
"Oh well."
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1445 on: September 26, 2018, 12:08:46 PM »
Also it's really weird that families are traveling along on starships starting with TNG, even if the ship is to be sent fighting a Borg cube (!) (As per DS9 pilot intro). I'm sure there's some reason it might make sense in-universe : The dubious "we're not a military ship despite having over two hundred torpedoes" thing and keeping up morale in the strenuous long term postings imposed by space exploration... But it's not even like it is ever used for plots anyway save for a couple of small bits and drama, at least in TNG so far.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1446 on: September 26, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
Also it's really weird that families are traveling along on starships starting with TNG, even if the ship is to be sent fighting a Borg cube (!) (As per DS9 pilot intro). I'm sure there's some reason it might make sense in-universe : The dubious "we're not a military ship despite having over two hundred torpedoes" thing and keeping up morale in the strenuous long term postings imposed by space exploration... But it's not even like it is ever used for plots anyway save for a couple of small bits and drama, at least in TNG so far.

It's not weird. It's actually one of TNG's flaws.

It's completely underused. You never see what the rest of the Enterprise is even like. It's assumed to just be Federation ship. But if it has lots of people living on it, even civilians, this presumes that it should also have shops and things. It's amazing that for a show that touts a large scale galaxy that its world feels so limited and small. Despite its size, you would think the Enterprise-D is nothing but the bridge, a few turbolifts, a few rooms, engineering, sickbay, holodeck, Ten Forward, and the transporter room. Quite a little for small for a ship of that size, eh? Now compare to DS9. It's just a small space station yet has a rich, deep world where federation interacts with civilian.

TNG essentially comes up with a premise of handling civilians in it, but can you name a single permanent civilian character besides Guinan? No you can't. You will notice as you continue watching and talking that TNG gets a ridiculous number of free passes by its more hardcore fans that they criticize other series for that TNG does in leaps and bounds. For instance, they criticize Voyager for not living up to its premise when TNG does the same. Not having regular civilian cast members despite being a ship large enough to have civilians on it is but one example. You must use your imagination. TNG commits a cardinal sin of telling but not showing.

You also forget that Enterprise in TNG also while being touted as an exploration vessel doesn't really explore much of unknown space. Not like the original TOS.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:34:56 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1447 on: September 26, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »
Separating the saucer section to keep the families away from danger. :lawd

Only doing it in the pilot and then never doing it again unless the writers wanted some really crazy shit to go down. :lawd
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1448 on: September 26, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
I think they do that only twice. Once in the pilot and another time...I'm not sure.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1449 on: September 26, 2018, 01:02:48 PM »
Despite its size, you would think the Enterprise-D is nothing but the bridge, a few turbolifts, a few rooms, engineering, sickbay, holodeck, Ten Forward, and the transporter room. Quite a little for small for a ship of that size, eh?

It's almost like broadcast TV of the early/mid-90s has limitations.

Tasty

« Reply #1450 on: September 26, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I think they do that only twice. Once in the pilot and another time...I'm not sure.

Three. You forgot when they rammed the D into a planet.

Tasty

« Reply #1451 on: September 26, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
You will notice as you continue watching and talking that TNG gets a ridiculous number of free passes by its more hardcore fans that they criticize other series for that TNG does in leaps and bounds. For instance, they criticize Voyager for not living up to its premise when TNG does the same. Not having regular civilian cast members despite being a ship large enough to have civilians on it is but one example.

Who are these rabid TNG hardliners you're constantly hanging out with? :confused

Cause it's nothing like the Trek fandom I know.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1452 on: September 26, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Only times I can remember is Best of Both Worlds and Generations.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1453 on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »
You will notice as you continue watching and talking that TNG gets a ridiculous number of free passes by its more hardcore fans that they criticize other series for that TNG does in leaps and bounds. For instance, they criticize Voyager for not living up to its premise when TNG does the same. Not having regular civilian cast members despite being a ship large enough to have civilians on it is but one example.

Who are these rabid TNG hardliners you're constantly hanging out with? :confused

Cause it's nothing like the Trek fandom I know.

It's regarded as the best Star Trek and many of its fans critique other Trek shows on problems TNG itself has. They'll regularly talk about the weakness of characters in other Trek's (TOS, Voyager) while touting that a show that has Troi, Dr. Crusher, Geordi, and Wesley in it is the best Trek and completely immune.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1454 on: September 26, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
As I understand it they backpedaled on that on other series.
I guess it's just an avenue that they put in place in pre-production but died on the vine quickly and they couldn't just back off (or some Roddenberry demand). It doesn't really impact the show one way or another and yeah you barely see any civilian in Ten Forward, it just doesn't mesh well with the ship so frequently dispatched on military missions. But as you pointed they never built on that either.

DS9 on Netflix is super rough : It's SD masters with nasty color or interlacing artefacts (and in the pilot even flaws on first images of shots, macro locking maybe ? Didn't pause to check). Retroactively makes you appreciate TOS and TNG being made HD compliant / remastered.

It was kinda cool to have Sisko put Picard off balance for once in the pilot.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1455 on: September 27, 2018, 04:02:39 AM »
On the continued subject of spirit and practice colliding the Enterprise is a Frankenstein monster of the Queen Elizabeth 2 and the Bismarck. Engineering team must have been at each other throats in the shipyard. Basically everyone not serving on the ship comments on how ridiculously lavish quarters are (and AFAIK everyone gets an individual room) and I'm not sure if it's self awareness or a comment on the superiority of the Federation on backwards warrior races. (I think they did it in TOS a couple of times but the gap was less evident).

DS9 is rough in production values but then I guess TNG was too in the beginning. Garak is straight out of a Le Carré Book, is it ? I was a big fan of B5 so I'm sure I'll be there for the duration.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:09:40 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1456 on: September 27, 2018, 04:13:37 AM »
In the federation ensigns share rooms. Past that you get your own room I believe.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1457 on: September 27, 2018, 05:42:15 AM »
In the federation ensigns share rooms. Past that you get your own room I believe.

It's never really mentioned or shown in TNG (at least as far as I am) but then again we never see any ensign quarters ? Maybe that guy whose daughter had an imaginary friend (don't remember rank) and who obviously liver with her. Ro is sorta implied to have quarters (or not) and Wesley lives with his mom.

Then again they stopped doing that really in ulterior series, if I understand correctly.

Some amusing nerdery on the matter :

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/6fize8/could_civilians_on_the_enterprised_be_viewed_as/

We know for a fact that ensigns do not get their own quarters (it's mentioned in "Lower Decks")

Guess it's canon.
ὕβρις

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1458 on: September 27, 2018, 08:35:40 AM »
Harry Kim had his own room on Voyager though, didn't he? I feel like I remember him playing clarinet in there.
WDW

Himu

« Reply #1459 on: September 27, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
He did. It’s canon but not treated as serious depending on the show and the importance of the ensign. Harry is a main character so they probably found it best to give him his own room.

Tilly and Michael share a room in DSC though.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1460 on: September 27, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »
Also Wesley isn’t an ensign for most of the series. He’s either wunderkind bridge “officer” or a star fleet cadet. I don’t think we get an episode with him as an actual ensign but I’ve decided to scrub every episode of Wesley from memory besides the Red Squad episode and the one where he’s on the long trip with Picard.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1461 on: September 27, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »
Short Treks #1 trailer.

More Star Trek! :rejoice
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1462 on: September 28, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »
Am I the only one confused by all the distances announcements made on the bridge in TNG and TOS ? Like sometimes tens of thousands kilometers is implied to be "close distance" ?
ὕβρις

FatRiker

« Reply #1463 on: September 28, 2018, 06:15:35 AM »
When you're on a ship that can go a few thousand kilometres a second without faster than light drive, that's pretty close.

FatRiker

« Reply #1464 on: September 28, 2018, 06:32:07 AM »
He did. It’s canon but not treated as serious depending on the show and the importance of the ensign. Harry is a main character so they probably found it best to give him his own room.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression Voyager was running a skeleton crew for its first mission, and even after the Maquis crew got folded in, there still wasn't a lot of people on the ship. So in that sense, everyone getting their own room was something I assumed. I don't remember if the show mentioned anyone bunking up. Even during that Lower Decks wannabe episode with Tom Morello.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1465 on: September 28, 2018, 06:44:45 AM »
When you're on a ship that can go a few thousand kilometres a second without faster than light drive, that's pretty close.

I wasn't precise, I meant coupled with the fact that every combat happens in close proximity and ships facing nose to nose. I understand the shortcuts taken for visual and dramatic reasons but it's really extreme on Trek (you're cutting from the announcement of tens of thousands of Kms to a shot where the two ships are in visual range). Never got the impression it's consistent and the scale relative to the ship is lost on me.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1466 on: September 28, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1468 on: September 30, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression Voyager was running a skeleton crew for its first mission, and even after the Maquis crew got folded in, there still wasn't a lot of people on the ship. So in that sense, everyone getting their own room was something I assumed. I don't remember if the show mentioned anyone bunking up. Even during that Lower Decks wannabe episode with Tom Morello.

You could be correct.

On the episode the 37’s Janeway says they have about 150 crewmen I believe?
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1469 on: September 30, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
Jesus, Geordi, tell them you went through their files before creeping on them.
 :picard

You could have just have an affair with that mutant reptilian commander who obviously had something for you.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Obviously the shapeshifter was the dog.  ::) Good job Scooby-Doo team.
[close]
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1470 on: September 30, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
What ep is this
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1471 on: September 30, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
What ep is this

Aquiel, the murder mystery on the radio relay station.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1472 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
I'm ready.

IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1473 on: October 01, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
Star Trek TNG : Starship Mine
"Let's have a Die Hard episode weeee !"
"Isn't it weird to have Picard casually let people die, even ambush some of them ?"
"What do you mean ?"
ὕβρις

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1474 on: October 01, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
I started watching TNG but started at season 3

good idea or bad? I already know I dislike Wesley Crusher.
What

Himu

« Reply #1475 on: October 01, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
I mean, I won’t endose starting on season 3 because there’s plenty of good episodes before it. Season 2 is better than people say, for instance. But if you like it I’d say go backwards eventually. If you didn’t see all of best of both worlds (part 1 is the season 2 finale) that’d be a shame. If you’re to skip, start on season 2 andnot 3.

TBH, Trekkies tend to suggest skipping seasons too much and they’re often full of shit. The great thing about trek is going through it as an adventure. And just because someone says ____ sucks and to skip doesn’t mean you’ll agree. I for instance thought season 2 of tng, season 1 and 2 of DS9, and season 1 of Voyager to be pretty good seasons. But that wouldn’t fly with others.

But if you want to see if trek is for you and just want to get to the good parts immediately, it seems fine. But if you DO find yourself loving Trek, I think you owe it to yourself and Trek to watch all of it. That’s what I’m doing. I put off watching Voyager because fanbase says it sucks and here I am loving it despite its flaws. Enterprise and Animated Series after that.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1476 on: October 01, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »
Well I already love Voyager and DS9..seen all of it already and rewatched DS9 a bunch..too much.

I've never dived into TNG because it always seemed to old..too static. But a few of the S3 episodes I've watched I certainly enjoyed it.

What

Himu

« Reply #1477 on: October 01, 2018, 07:37:40 PM »
You’ll like it then. Watching the Blu-ray?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1478 on: October 01, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
No I'm watching it on Netflix.. not sure if that's the best way to watch it though? I thought the bluray had a good upgrade? At least that's what I read on GAF one time I think.
What

Himu

« Reply #1479 on: October 01, 2018, 07:40:25 PM »
Yeah the blu rays look great. Haven’t seen them though and I’m not sure if the one Netflix is the blu release.

Speaking of Blu, going to start going physical for Trek. Starting with this for Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Anniversary-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B01GRW4A64/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1538437101&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=star+trek+collection+blu-ray&dpPl=1&dpID=51bKDcRPEwL&ref=plSrch
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1480 on: October 03, 2018, 12:52:59 AM »
STD is some bullshit, but i wont lie this looks interesting from the trailer

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1481 on: October 03, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
I started watching TNG but started at season 3

good idea or bad? I already know I dislike Wesley Crusher.

I started watching TNG with s1e1 during its initial broadcast. I abandoned it; it seemed super cheesy.

I went back to it during s3 and really enjoyed it.

"Oh, it must've really improved," I thought, and went back to watch s2. Turns out, it was a VERY gradual improvement.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1482 on: October 03, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
I like the episodes I've seen from S1 so far, the only thing I really dislike is the dramatic music at times. It's really overdone.
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1483 on: October 03, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »
:rejoice Dr Pulaski :rejoice

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1484 on: October 03, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1485 on: October 05, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
13 episodes in, almost every episode features sex in some way lol

Rape gangs?

Data talking about sex

Riker trying to get it on with various women

The episode where everybody gets drunk and wants to fuck

This is a crazy ass star trek lemme tell you, its nothing like DS9 or VOY  :lol
What

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1486 on: October 05, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
It fades away through S2 (except some parts where Riker get alien STD every two episodes up to S5 or S6) but yeah the first season is all innuendo all the time.

"- So you're the Resistance ?
Well, actually, we prefer the Maquis :snob "
ὕβρις

FatRiker

« Reply #1487 on: October 05, 2018, 09:46:59 PM »
13 episodes in, almost every episode features sex in some way lol

Rape gangs?

Data talking about sex

Riker trying to get it on with various women

The episode where everybody gets drunk and wants to fuck

This is a crazy ass star trek lemme tell you, its nothing like DS9 or VOY  :lol
Gene Roddenberry was a horndog.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1488 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
People love to hate the Trois and the Crushers but the worst recurring character in TNG by far is Lore. None of his episodes are good (the one where Data lockdown the ship has an ok first act but once we get to the meat of the episodes it's downright terrible.) It's not even good for Spiner hamming it up, he already does have quite some opportunities to do that as Data.

Speaking of there's this weird constant throughout the series : everyone seems in mild denial that Data already, for all intents and purposes, have feelings (or at the very least instincts). It's very common but to name a couple examples : his trust in Tasha's sister (or his attachment to Tasha), his compulsion to save the little girl in the doomed world where volcanoes are going crazy, trying to kill the mad smuggler / collectionneur, etc... It's probably just an effect of the status quo being sacred in episodic storytelling but it gets bizarre after a while, like if all the crew deluded themselves in not seeing it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:29:01 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1489 on: October 06, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
Data is overrated and is a worse Spock. Odo is better, as are Seven of Nine and the Doctor. Brent Spiner is awesome though.

I also love Troi once she gets an actual starfleet uniform as seen in my avvy. She starts getting GOOD EPISODES all of a sudden and Marina shows off her chops and not just her assets. Shame she only has two seasons to do so.

People love to hate the Trois and the Crushers but the worst recurring character in TNG by far is Lore. None of his episodes are good (the one where Data lockdown the ship has an ok first act but once we get to the meat of the episodes it's downright terrible.) It's not even good for Spiner hamming it up, he already does have quite some opportunities to do that as Data.

Speaking of there's this weird constant throughout the series : everyone seems in mild denial that Data already, for all intents and purposes, have feelings (or at the very least instincts). It's very common but to name a couple examples : his trust in Tasha's sister (or his attachment to Tasha), his compulsion to save the little girl in the doomed world where volcanoes are going crazy, trying to kill the mad smuggler / collectionneur, etc... It's probably just an effect of the status quo being sacred in episodic storytelling but it gets bizarre after a while, like if all the crew deluded themselves in not seeing it.

You forgot the biggest one: his friendship with Geordi.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1490 on: October 06, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
It really isn’t
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1491 on: October 06, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
(or his attachment to Tasha)

Well they did fuck  :ufup
What

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1492 on: October 06, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »
Troi does get better. That Romulan episode with her is pretty great though it wraps up too hastily (as TNG often does), I expected more closure with her and the Romulan commander. She's still an abuse chew toy one too many for the writers tho. I never did mind much Lwaxana : her episodes are a mixed bag (the Soylent Green one was very good) but I find her scenes with Picard mostly hilarious.

Wesley is just dreadful in S1 but much less grating thereafter (and then is phased almost completely) though I understand the writers just went bonkers as fuck and circled back to the worst possible stuff they foreshadowed in S1.

Beverley is just... There.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1493 on: October 06, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
Troi’s Romulan episode is great
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1494 on: October 06, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »
Spicy take:

The gray uniform of TNG films and late DS9 are trash. The black top, colored bottom is the best Starfleet uniform.

NO

YES

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:57:13 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1495 on: October 06, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »
On Data, I would add the insistence he's one of a kind... Even long after it's clear to all he's not.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1496 on: October 06, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »

Giddy
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1497 on: October 06, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
On Data, I would add the insistence he's one of a kind... Even long after it's clear to all he's not.

that's the point init

FatRiker

« Reply #1498 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
So that mini-episode wasn't too bad. Tilly being Tilly. Po was okay. It was basically a 'oh we can learn and grow from each other' episode.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1499 on: October 06, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
I like the late TNG film/DS9 uniform similar to the ENT ones and the TOS films. The idea that there's a standard uniform that the crew personalizes in a minor way makes more sense and looks cleaner than the TNG/DS9/VOY single piece jumpsuits with a massive swath of bold department color.

The fact that Sisko is wearing Riker's uniform early on and that's why his combadge is halfway down his chest should have no bearing on this.

The most unrealistic thing about the Trek uniforms is their lack of flair.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:46:57 PM by benjipwns »