Author Topic: star trek  (Read 329752 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: star trek
« Reply #1680 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:25 AM »
i've also been waiting on it

to the point to where i forgot when it came back :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1681 on: April 22, 2019, 02:11:41 AM »
I've been watching it with a friend who's a huge Trekkie. First Star Trek I've watched outside the original series.

We've both enjoyed it a lot. He's really having fun with all the links to the other shows etc.

Gonna watch the season finale when I'm back from Sydney next week.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #1682 on: April 22, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »
The fan service has put me off entirely. Low hanging fruit like that doesn’t appeal to me. Making Pike and Spock prominent characters is a very Poochie like course correction to me. Unfortunately most Trek fans like that stupid shit.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1683 on: April 22, 2019, 11:16:35 AM »
I'm probably going to be on-board with s3+ Discovery considering [spoilers], but that makes me even more nerd-annoyed they didn't stick to canon aesthetic. :lol :maf :expert

Himu

« Reply #1684 on: April 22, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
What spoilers.

Lemme guess.

More cheap fanservice.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1685 on: April 22, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »
What spoilers.

Lemme guess.

More cheap fanservice.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Season finale ends with Discovery jumping through a wormhole 950 years into the Kelvin timeline future.

AKA what the show should have fucking been in the first place.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1686 on: April 22, 2019, 12:46:19 PM »
Interesting.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1687 on: April 22, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »
I'm probably going to be on-board with s3+ Discovery considering [spoilers], but that makes me even more nerd-annoyed they didn't stick to canon aesthetic. :lol :maf :expert
they literally can't use that aesthetic, star trek has two separate licences, one for the classic verse (tos - enterprise) and one for the new shit, this is licensed under the new licence so they actively have to make things look at least 25% different legally

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1688 on: April 22, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »
Fyi the new Picard series that's seemingly in production trouble now is new licence.

Tasty

« Reply #1689 on: April 22, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
they literally can't use that aesthetic, star trek has two separate licences, one for the classic verse (tos - enterprise) and one for the new shit, this is licensed under the new licence so they actively have to make things look at least 25% different legally

Ugh fuck capitalism

Tasty

« Reply #1690 on: April 22, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
Also links and sources are good

Tasty

« Reply #1691 on: April 22, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »
Also I was wrong on that spoiler

it's still original timeline not Kelvin.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1692 on: April 22, 2019, 05:14:37 PM »
That makes it even better. Fuck Kelvin.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1693 on: April 23, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/afo7ve/why_is_star_trek_online_exempt_from_the_25/

Apparently im wrong, unsourced comment. Still two different licences though

EDIT: There's a link in the top rated comment that says Scott Sneider said it was a legal requirement, so fucked if i know what the real deal is.

benjipwns

« Reply #1694 on: April 27, 2019, 01:21:43 AM »
I don't think there's a rule, I think there was a confusion during the separation of Viacom that led to this rumor, but it's never been said because I think they never intended to separate the franchise. Reading that reddit thread seems to suggest that it was confusion by the producers talking to management and the producers erred on the side of caution although it was what they wanted anyway so didn't pursue it further.

I know they originally separated the license between the individual parts of the franchise, that's why the games were split between TOS and TNG+DS9+VOY, for example. Activision had first right of refusal on series that came after TNG and since they were all of the same time period it was easy enough to manage. But they unified that license after Nemesis and they intended the Kelvin timeline to become the main one, while the original timeline remained under their publishing licenses not TV licenses. IDW published comics in both timelines for example without any kind of scheduling hitch, they simply added Kelvin books. (The reimaginings of classic TOS episodes actually were some of the best Kelvin stuff I thought.) Pocket Books was going to similarly add Kelvin but it got "cancelled" before they got around to it so they canned or reworked in regular TOS the two books that were scheduled.

When Brian Fuller came back he had zero problem with his anthology series that would cover the entire breadth of the franchise.

Star Trek Online has been a unique case for some time, that I don't know that looking at for answers will get you any. They originally were going to stay separate from Kelvin, but then gradually added some stuff and reworked their own timeline to fit it in. Pocket Books timeline was entirely separate and also as "canon" as Online until they decided to junk Kelvin.

This isn't a case like Sony/Marvel and Fox/Marvel where it was literally two different companies with one holding the original licenses and one holding the film rights, this was one company split into multiple parts. National Amusements, the vehicle for Summer Redstone's estate, still owns a majority of both the new Viacom and the new CBS. I'm pretty sure they, acting as the chair of the board and majority, could at any time simply sign off on anything if they needed an official legal paper trail.

benjipwns

« Reply #1695 on: April 27, 2019, 01:24:18 AM »
It's worth noting that last year CBS attempted to force Viacom back into it and then at the same time essentially sued itself to prevent the merger. If they merged back together this whole "problem" would cease to exist. (This is what Shari Redstone apparently wants. Leslie Moonves was so against this that his settlement to get him the fuck out of their company prevents it until almost 2021.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1696 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:37 AM »
Increasingly unsure how I feel about DISCOVERY. I'm just not sure where they're going with it, oddly not a feeling I had during season 1. Despite a consistently presented arc through the season, and references to Starfleet, Section 31, the Klingon empire, etc. I feel oddly disconnected from the larger picture. I can't visualize the worlds that they're claiming are at risk, because I feel like we've almost never seen them, nor even had them described except to say they're imperiled.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1697 on: April 27, 2019, 03:03:06 AM »
Watched the last episodes of TNG and man, Pre-emptive strike is so damn good. Felt like the shades of grey TV would finally gravitate towards in a show that was pretty optimistic. The scene whwre Jean-Luc and Ro are head to head had a sense of intimacy that was quite astounding.
:9

Himu

« Reply #1698 on: May 02, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »

In theatres this month. Bought tickets.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1699 on: May 03, 2019, 12:58:19 AM »
Increasingly unsure how I feel about DISCOVERY. I'm just not sure where they're going with it, oddly not a feeling I had during season 1. Despite a consistently presented arc through the season, and references to Starfleet, Section 31, the Klingon empire, etc. I feel oddly disconnected from the larger picture. I can't visualize the worlds that they're claiming are at risk, because I feel like we've almost never seen them, nor even had them described except to say they're imperiled.
I'm just glad that they've moved ahead of conventional canon, hopefully they dont do too much 'oh that happened with that character in the past' crap. I can pretty much safely ignore this show now.

Himu

IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1701 on: May 03, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »

How did I not know this was a thing until now???
 :stahp
I need tickets for this!
:cornette

Himu

« Reply #1702 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:22 PM »
Discovery fans might have the worst fanbase in Trek. Defending a mediocre show and accusing those who don’t like it of being incapable of accepting change.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1703 on: May 04, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Discovery fans might have the worst fanbase in Trek. Defending a mediocre show and accusing those who don’t like it of being incapable of accepting change.
You’re gonna wanna be careful with rocks, in that glass house you got there.

Himu

« Reply #1704 on: May 04, 2019, 08:52:26 AM »
You’re gonna wanna be careful with rocks, in that glass house you got there.

I mean, I defended it during season 1. It was the first season. I felt people were being too harsh towards a show in its first damn season. Then season 2 kind of shits the bed in many ways and they have no idea what they want to do with no long term plan other than,”let’s backtrack this.”

In the DS9 article I posted last page they couldn’t help comparing DS9 to Discovery. Because DS9 was different it was maligned when it came out for being different to TNG. But let’s be real, just because people don’t like Discovery doesn’t mean it’s just because it’s “different”. It’s also because it’s not really quality. Yet Discovery fans keep assuming that I’d you have problems with Discovery you just can’t accept change, which is batshit. Also the first two seasons of DS9 are far better than Disco’s first two. Compared to the Orville which has improved leaps and bounds going from season 1 to 2, the amount Disco fans are willing to go to defend it from criticism is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:58:40 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1705 on: May 04, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »
I dont think any fanbase will every come close to the Sonic fanbase ito being things you want to scrape off the face of the planet

Himu

« Reply #1706 on: May 04, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
I’m talking specifically Trek.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1707 on: May 04, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »
Discovery is gobshite.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1708 on: May 04, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
I stumbled upon a Wiki entry recently that was talking about Will Ryker having a twin, created from a teleporting mishap.

:ryker :ryker

The twin was more inexperienced and had been marooned on an abandoned base for years and the TNG episode was kinda fun to watch, since he got to act like a different character and argue with himself.  Then he popped up in an episode of DS9 as a bad guy, of sorts, acting like a terrorist against the federation.  And that was it.

Are there any other episodes similar to this or any good mirror universe episodes to watch if I'm not that big into ST and don't know all the backstory?
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1709 on: May 04, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »
If anyone suggests star trek nemisis I will for a fact know you are the devil.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1710 on: May 04, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
Not Mirror Universe but "Trials and Tribble-ations" is a fun sort of time travel/alt-past episode where the DS9 crew go back to the Tribble episode of TOS and are cut into the footage of the old episode and such. A fun little one off episode that doesn't require a lot of lore/show knowlege.

Himu

« Reply #1711 on: May 04, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
I stumbled upon a Wiki entry recently that was talking about Will Ryker having a twin, created from a teleporting mishap.

The twin was more inexperienced and had been marooned on an abandoned base for years and the TNG episode was kinda fun to watch, since he got to act like a different character and argue with himself.  Then he popped up in an episode of DS9 as a bad guy, of sorts, acting like a terrorist against the federation.  And that was it.

Are there any other episodes similar to this or any good mirror universe episodes to watch if I'm not that big into ST and don't know all the backstory?

Not alternate universe but also a DS9 episode. It's a heist episode.

Badda-Bing Badda-Bang.

S7E15.

It's a fun one off.

For the most part, mirror universe eps suck. But there's plenty of fuckery episodes to choose from.

There's even an episode where the crew of DS9 plays baseball.

Or the VOY ep where Janeway becomes Ripley and the show turns into Alien and she's the only one alive.

Then there's the TOS ep that probably inspired the two Riker's idea which is also very good called The Enemy Within.

TOS is full of episodes like the ones you've described. Season 1 and 2 are classics.

Also "have to know the backstory". Star Trek, aside from DS9 and now Discovery, is not one of those franchises. Most shows are episodic and stand alone. DS9 is the one where knowing the backstory is crucial. TOS, TNG, VOY, you can watch most episodes out of order.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:21:39 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1712 on: May 05, 2019, 01:41:40 AM »
I mean, until Discovery came along, DS9's the only series that really goes into the mirror universe at all.

It was not it. YOU BETTER READ THE BOOKS AND COMICS BUDDY. :bolo

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas_Riker

The only mirror universe episodes I think I might suggest without watching any of the show to get to know the characters and thus why the mirrors are well done, is the two part Enterprise mirror universe episodes "In A Mirror Darkly"

Unlike the others it's totally standalone in that it doesn't interact with the normal universe, set entirely in the mirror universe.

Voyager's "Living Witness" is NOT a mirror universe episode but is an episode in which a far future historian is retelling when Voyager came to its planet. Some of his details are... inaccurate. Easily one of the best Voyager episodes of any category.

not really big Enterprise episode spoilers, but sorta if you're anal about spoilers, mixed with a new garbage thread meme
Like ugh just step on me Empress Sato. Just step on me and grind me into the ground beneath your boots. Oh my god. I need a cold shower.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #1713 on: May 09, 2019, 01:43:58 AM »

lmao calm down

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1714 on: May 09, 2019, 01:56:32 AM »
I mean, I defended it during season 1. It was the first season. I felt people were being too harsh towards a show in its first damn season.

Season 1 was amazing until the time dilation in the last X episodes. That twist with Lorca. :lawd

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1715 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:43 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

lmao calm down
It might be the fever I’m nursing at the moment, but this reads like stream-of-consciousness ramblings from someone whose the type to have just had a third protection order placed against them.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1716 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this Cindi, I was able to grab tickets.  It’s rare that I see documentaries in the theater on subjects I am passionate about (I think the last one for me was I Am Not Your Negro), so it’s always a treat when I get the chance.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1717 on: May 09, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
I mean, I defended it during season 1. It was the first season. I felt people were being too harsh towards a show in its first damn season.

Season 1 was amazing

What

Himu

IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1719 on: May 10, 2019, 01:39:04 AM »

Season 1 was amazing

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1720 on: May 10, 2019, 05:21:44 AM »
am i the only person here who loved season 2? whatevs

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1721 on: May 11, 2019, 03:43:18 AM »
I'm a little late with this but Jesus Christ at XCom2 War of the Chosen having half a dozen TNG actors in the voice cast.  :awesome

I suppose there's a value package available by their artistic agent or something.
ὕβρις

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1722 on: May 13, 2019, 04:30:38 AM »
am i the only person here who loved season 2? whatevs
I enjoyed it even though the quality was a little inconsistent.
Spud

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1723 on: May 14, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »

Himu

« Reply #1724 on: May 14, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
DS9 movie was good
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1725 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:38 PM »
DS9 movie was good
I left the theater desperately wanting the season 8 they theorycrafted in the doc.

I’m hoping the home release has a shitload of extra material that was cut.  There’s just so much rich material to mine for examination.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1726 on: May 15, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »

tl;dr

Hey, gang! Today we're gonna have a great time talking about the recent announcement that the new Star Trek Picard Series will be exclusively available on Amazon Prime and NOT on Netflix for the global fans.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1727 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
Putting different Trek shows on completely different platforms is a bonkers business decision. Fucking CBS.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1728 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
LOL beaten to the punch by a few posts up.  :sabu

Tasty

« Reply #1729 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
Is that just int'l or also domestic

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1730 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »
Is that just int'l or also domestic

CBS streaming platform in the US, Amazon Prime outside the US.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1731 on: May 15, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »
OK so nothing's changed, cool.

Himu

« Reply #1732 on: May 16, 2019, 01:34:49 AM »
omfg the tng/ds9/voy style uniforms!!! In a new Trek show!!

Eek1!!

http://www.twitter.com/KateAurthur/status/1128757437081821185

Description of the image:

http://www.twitter.com/RobOwenTV/status/1128757637430951936
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1733 on: May 16, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »
I have zero faith in any of these new trek shows.

benjipwns

« Reply #1734 on: May 16, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »
i'm seeing Voyager-style uniforms that resemble the cadet ones with the collar attached back there

if i ever get control of Star Trek, i'm writing a ten minute scene explaining why in the late 24th Century they changed the uniforms so drastically, so many times

let's just say that the Founders first took over the uniform supply vendors as part of their plan to destabilize the Alpha Quadrant
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1735 on: May 16, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
voy uniforms > those silly grey uniforms
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1736 on: May 22, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »
 :rejoice

:rejoice
What

Occam

« Reply #1737 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
Finished watching season 2 of Discovery. I quite enjoyed it. Way better than the Abrams movies.
I really wonder what they'll do in season 3, considering the season finale worked as a series finale, too.

Occam

« Reply #1738 on: May 23, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »
Oh, too bad. I just learned that
Anson Mount (Captain Christopher Pike) only had a contract for season 2, so he won't be back for season 3.
[close]
That means season 3 will be about
Michael Burnham and Discovery 950 years in the future.
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1739 on: May 23, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »

:hyper