Author Topic: star trek  (Read 330780 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: star trek
« Reply #1860 on: July 23, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
found this on a totally hot twitter account and it probably was already in this thread but needs to be posted again anyway: http://www.memory-prime.de/barbecue/

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1861 on: July 23, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »
found this on a totally hot twitter account and it probably was already in this thread but needs to be posted again anyway: http://www.memory-prime.de/barbecue/

Then William Shatner made that the plot of Star Trek V.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1862 on: July 23, 2019, 11:22:46 PM »
Interesting theory.

https://old.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/cg85zf/regarding_the_the_new_star_trek_picard_trailer_i/

This is a cool track to take if so.

However I don't like the whole "protect the chosen girl" trope, it feels overplayed and out of character for Star Trek.

I'm reserving the vast bulk of my judgment until I finish the first season, though.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1863 on: July 26, 2019, 03:19:12 AM »
"Family" . . . What an episode. :whew

spoiler (click to show/hide)
lol @ Susan Ivanova's rabbi being Worf's adoptive father. So many Babylon 5 actors across the years of Trek.
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1864 on: July 31, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/30/brent-spiner-says-data-is-a-story-point-for-star-trek-picard/

Brent Spiner Says Data Is A “Story Point” For ‘Star Trek: Picard’

Data is back, but not every episode
Speaking to the Las Vegas Review Journal promoting his upcoming appearance (and concert) at Star Trek Las Vegas this week, Brent Spiner also talked a bit about his appearance in Star Trek: Picard:

Data makes appearances in the show, I can say that. And Data is a story point in this season as well. But I’m not in every episode. I’m not a major character on the show.

According to the article, Spiner has read all the scripts for the first season of the show, describing them as “excellent.” The actor also offered this assessment of Picard:

I think people will be really, really excited about it, because it’s a great story.

Spiner’s comments to the LVRJ also confirm Spiner is appearing as Data, and not another Soong-type android, like B-4, who Spiner has suggested appears in the trailer as the non-functional android seen in a Starfleet lab. Spiner has also made clear that Data died in Star Trek Nemesis. This has led to speculation that Data’s appearances in Picard will be different than other returning characters like Seven (Jeri Ryan) and Hugh (Jonathan Del Arco).
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1865 on: July 31, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
the Kelvin canon version was that they they saved Data's brain (brain? brain?!? WHAT IS BRAIN!) and imported it into B-4's body

nobody cared about the ramifications of erasing B-4 because lol fuck that android we want our bro back

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1866 on: July 31, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
Shoulda just erased Lore. He was a bitch anyway

Oh wait he got exploded I think?

Tasty

« Reply #1867 on: July 31, 2019, 01:36:43 PM »
They know how to make multiple Datas now. The tech exists. Why are star ships not filled with hundreds of them?

Though I guess at that point cut out the middle man and just make the entire ship one big AI, which it basically is anyways...

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1868 on: July 31, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
What do you mean they know how to make data's?

What

Himu

« Reply #1869 on: July 31, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »
They know how to make multiple Datas now. The tech exists. Why are star ships not filled with hundreds of them?

Though I guess at that point cut out the middle man and just make the entire ship one big AI, which it basically is anyways...

I don’t like this because now Data isn’t Data. He’s just one of many Data’s. Making more than one Data goes against his personhood.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1870 on: July 31, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
What do you mean they know how to make data's?
Due to Data's work creating Lal, Starfleet has the knowledge and ability to make Soong-type androids.

It sounds like the Data in Picard will not be actual Data in their present time but seen in flashbacks/Picard's thoughts.

Occam

« Reply #1871 on: July 31, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »
I always assumed Data transferred his consciousness to B4 prior to his destruction, analogous to what Spock did in Star Trek II.
I bet this is what they would have gone with in Star Trek XI if X hadn't been the flop it so very much deserved to be.
By the way, of all Star Trek (TV episodes and movies) ever made, Nemesis was what pissed me off most.
They should just have retconned it out of existence and pretend it never happened.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1872 on: July 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
What if all the Datas become the Borg Collective and Picard has to blast them back in time to get rid of them? :lawd
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1873 on: July 31, 2019, 02:32:36 PM »

I don’t like this because now Data isn’t Data. He’s just one of many Data’s. Making more than one Data goes against his personhood.

I don't like it either.

I do like that they're trying to get out in front of it and say "Data DEFINITELY died in Nemesis still, you guys."

But whether they're straight up lying or being somehow misleading, either way it diminishes Data's sacrifice and takes some winds out of Nemsis' sails (not that anyone is really going back and revisiting it as some classic gem...) I will say making it a "plot point" or whatever for Picard is, to me, a good sign for the show overall. RLM is right when they said Picard in TNG was really only interesting in an ensemble because of how collected he always was. However, I don't think it's totally useless to examine a character like that, and doing a "character study" Star Trek show is fresh and I honestly wouldn't have anyone else but Picard in the spotlight.

Unfortunately they initially promoted Discovery as a character centered show about Burnham. By s2 I think they pretty strongly pivoted from that, but I haven't seen all of Discovery yet.

Tasty

« Reply #1874 on: July 31, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
It sounds like the Data in Picard will not be actual Data in their present time but seen in flashbacks/Picard's thoughts.

Hmm not bad. That could work. And then have B4 or Lore 2 running around so Spiner can still have some fun without taking away Data's sacrifice.

Occam

« Reply #1875 on: July 31, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »
Or Star Trek Nemesis was just a bad dream.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1876 on: July 31, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
It seems like this whole thing is basically Picard blaming himself for Data's death, becoming disillusioned with Starfleet and/or losing confidence in his ability to command (he sees himself as a totally different man that wasn't worthy of Captain Picard Day or whatever), and then whatever is going on with this girl is important enough that he wants to help her and atone for his past sins ("Completing this mission is what Data would have expected from Captain Picard" or some shit is bound to be said).

Kinda generic but if it leads to good character moments then it'll be okay.

Tasty

« Reply #1877 on: July 31, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »
Or Star Trek Nemesis was just a bad dream.

Nemesis wasn't a bad dream, Romulus' destruction wasn't a bad dream. I actually think it's mildly commendable they're continuing things instead of trying to reboot every fucking aspect all over again.

The only bad dream of dubious canonical status is Star Trek V.

Tasty

« Reply #1878 on: July 31, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
Just thought of the dumbest Kurtzman-esque plot twist.

Data comes back as a Borg in the season finale. YOU GUYS LIKED THAT LOCUTUS RIGHT?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1879 on: July 31, 2019, 02:40:04 PM »
It seems like this whole thing is basically Picard blaming himself for Data's death, becoming disillusioned with Starfleet and/or losing confidence in his ability to command (he sees himself as a totally different man that wasn't worthy of Captain Picard Day or whatever), and then whatever is going on with this girl is important enough that he wants to help her and atone for his past sins ("Completing this mission is what Data would have expected from Captain Picard" or some shit is bound to be said).

Quoting myself but just realized this would mean Picard didn't give a shit about Tasha Yar cause he didn't skip a beat after that ho died :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1880 on: July 31, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »
Not just a Borg, the first ever BORG KING

Tasty

« Reply #1881 on: July 31, 2019, 02:41:08 PM »

Quoting myself but just realized this means Picard didn't give a shit about Tasha Yar cause he didn't skip a beat after that ho died :lol

Of course, did she even play a single card game with him?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1882 on: July 31, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
Worth it alone just for

"What does God need with a starship?" :hmm

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1883 on: July 31, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »

Picard didn't play a card game with any of those fuccbois until the last episode, what an aloof dick.

Tasty

« Reply #1884 on: July 31, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »

Picard didn't play a card game with any of those fuccbois until the last episode, what an aloof dick.

That's why he was stoic throughout TNG until he want all Action Picard in the movies. The poker game let out a flood of emotions!

Tasty

« Reply #1885 on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
Worth it alone just for

"What does God need with a starship?" :hmm

What about 57-year old Uhura's fan dance?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1886 on: July 31, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »
i forgot about that :rofl

Himu

« Reply #1887 on: July 31, 2019, 04:15:43 PM »

I hope it’s hopeful trek that gives me hope for the future that makes me want to pop in a random ep of TNG when I want to kill my misanthropy. Picard being disillusioned in starfleet doesn’t bode well and isn’t what I want at all but I’ll give it a chance.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1888 on: August 01, 2019, 04:31:41 AM »
My fear is they will turn him into total bitch tits like Luke in the Disney Star Wars abominations.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1889 on: August 07, 2019, 01:26:10 PM »

:nope

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1890 on: August 07, 2019, 11:18:10 PM »
Not just a Borg, the first ever BORG KING
But he's already an android, so cyborging that shit makes him even more than Borg -- THE BORGER KING.

Tasty

« Reply #1891 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »
Have it your way... OR ELSE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1892 on: August 08, 2019, 01:15:56 AM »
They cant keep getting away with it :goldberg

Tasty

« Reply #1893 on: August 08, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
They cant keep getting away with it :goldberg

They will. :goty2

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1894 on: August 08, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
 :lol

Fuck these producers, no clue what Star Trek should be about
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1895 on: August 08, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »
It's such a frustrating thing.   Like it might be hard to write a good star trek story, but it's not hard to point out all the things that make star trek great and make a setting that allows them to tell those stories.

Tasty

« Reply #1896 on: August 08, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

It's pretty clear to me we're heading straight into another Star Trek "crash" and we'll probably go ten years without anything except comics and videogames in the (Prime) series, just like after Enterprise was cancelled. Calling it now. Trek is like Ghostbusters in that there really isn't a ton of profit incentive there, so the big boys are going to ignore it, and an effects-heavy show is always going to need some kind of budget these days.

Further predictions: Discovery won't make it past season 3, the Section 31 show will bomb, Picard will do OK but I see it as more a limited series than an ongoing show? Stewart isn't going to want to do it forever.

CBS's non-ST shows will be ignored and die, CBS All Access will shutter, and CBS will go back to schlepping their wares on Netflix and Hulu or whatever package seems popular when this goes down.

Himu

« Reply #1897 on: August 08, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »

It's pretty clear to me we're heading straight into another Star Trek "crash" and we'll probably go ten years without anything except comics and videogames in the (Prime) series, just like after Enterprise was cancelled. Calling it now. Trek is like Ghostbusters in that there really isn't a ton of profit incentive there, so the big boys are going to ignore it, and an effects-heavy show is always going to need some kind of budget these days.

Further predictions: Discovery won't make it past season 3, the Section 31 show will bomb, Picard will do OK but I see it as more a limited series than an ongoing show? Stewart isn't going to want to do it forever.

CBS's non-ST shows will be ignored and die, CBS All Access will shutter, and CBS will go back to schlepping their wares on Netflix and Hulu or whatever package seems popular when this goes down.

This is why I've been against the massive "dump all the Treks!!!" by announcing constant Trek shit. I remember when Voyager and Enterprise were on air and TV Guide would talk about trying to make Enterprise appeal to younger demographics. There was also talk of people just oversaturated with Trek in general. My dad, a lifelong Trek fan, barely watched Enterprise as much as he watched TNG/DS9/VOY. By the time Enterprise was on air people were just sick of Trek. At one point we had two Trek shows on at the same time at the franchises height combined with TNG movies in theaters. All of this helped create Trek fatigue and a dwindling interest in the franchise due to 7 season long series'. And now they're dumping Lower Decks, Discovery, Picard, Section 31, teasing some goddamn Pike show all in our faces. The Trek whores are happy though because it means they finally get their Trek but there's very legitimate concerns this will all have a short shelf life. Currently Discovery is already too expensive too keep up.

Basically, a big contributor to Star Trek going dark for a full decade on television was due to the sheer amount of Star Trek available to the public, where it started to get more convoluted and harder to get into for the average tv watcher. Too much Star Trek in such little time helped create franchise decay. The low quality work (Nemesis, Insurrection, much of Voyager) ruined the franchises image even further and they're doing the same fucking thing again but instead of this being a decade and a half long process they're speeding it up to amount to maybe 5 years.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:06:00 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1898 on: August 08, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
That and Les Moonves hated Scifi and one of the first things he did is shit can ENT. If all we are going to get is Star Drek, STD and it's ilk from now on it's OK to let it die.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The merchandising and licensing of old
Trek was lucrative dummies.  :steiner
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1899 on: August 08, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »
Agreed. Just let Star Trek die.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1900 on: August 08, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
NEVER!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1901 on: August 08, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »
I’d rather watch Star Trek V than most Nu-Trek tbh
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1902 on: August 08, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »

I was reading the Wiki article for the movie today and realized this too. :lol

Honestly Shatner probably took too much blame for V's problems. The core idea isn't very Trek-y and that was definitely all him (originally it ended with them literally meeting Satan :lol), but most other aspects of production were hamstrung by external events like the writer's strike and Paramount charging into production to meet a deadline.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1903 on: August 09, 2019, 05:12:06 AM »
The opening with Spock/Bones/Kirk fucking around in Yosemite  :lawd
___

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1904 on: August 09, 2019, 05:59:16 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1905 on: August 09, 2019, 03:26:59 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1906 on: August 10, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »

That’s because Star Trek V is great!  It’s got what is maybe peak-ornery Bones! It’s got Nichelle Nichols hot dance moves making me feel like Scotty!  A planet of Mad Max extras!  David Warner!  Marsh-mellons!  What does God need with a starship!

Tasty

« Reply #1907 on: August 13, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
https://trekmovie.com/2019/08/03/cbs-viacom-merger-update-parties-agree-on-leadership-team/

Preeeeeeeetty close to this whole stupid movie/TV split being a thing of the past.

Also apparently Lionsgate might be next on nu-Viacom's list.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1908 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
does MGM still have stargate?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1909 on: August 13, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #1910 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1911 on: August 13, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
tl;dr CBS could have made actual in universe (canon) Star Trek but didn't.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:06:16 PM by D3RANG3D »

Himu

« Reply #1912 on: August 13, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »
another goddamn 30 minute youtube video
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1913 on: August 13, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
tl;dr CBS could have made actual trek but didn't.

So...? :dunno

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1914 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:48 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1915 on: August 13, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
"Real Trek" to me is a Star Trek TV show in the model of TOS/TNG/ENT/DS9.

We already know CBS could have been making that all along. Where is the controversy?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1916 on: August 13, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »

We already know CBS could have been making that all along. Where is the controversy?

That's what I mean by real trek, the controversy is that they were supposedly hampered by their sister company into having to change ship and uniform design aka the kelvin timeline shit which was not the case....

Tasty

« Reply #1917 on: August 13, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »
If you think about things for a few moments it kinda becomes obvious, with the costumes especially... Why would a CBS Trek show not be able to use things from another CBS Trek show? :thinking Why would TOS designs be locked up in movie rights? :thinking

The obnoxious "updating" of TOS designs has more to do with Kurtzman as an executive producer 1. not respecting the original iconography as previous Star Trek producers had in the past, and 2. wanting to put his mark on the franchise as "the guy who took it from old and boring to fresh and relevant." He probably saw Star Trek Discovery in some ways as "his" Next Generation -- an entry in the franchise that is so fresh and well-produced that it defines the next decade+ of Trek media. And Next Gen had updated designs too!! (Kurtzman neglecting to realize that was because it was set 100 years later than TOS, and TOS designs remained canon...)

Only it didn't work out that way...

Anyways, finally but most importantly: none of the designs *really* matter in making Trek "Real Trek." CBS still could have been making "Real Trek" TV shows, just with different designs. But they made STD instead. So the video is doubly useless IMO...

Himu

« Reply #1918 on: August 13, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »

I love how you don't mention VOY :rejoice
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1919 on: August 13, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »
:lol I legit forgot about it. I looked at the list and was like "There's only four of them, right? ...eh."

And I've seen more of VOY than ENT too. :lol