Author Topic: star trek  (Read 329509 times)

Himu

Re: star trek
« Reply #1980 on: August 15, 2019, 10:15:19 PM »
There was that one obnoxious Cardassian on Voyager though

Voyager ruins everything.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1981 on: August 16, 2019, 12:09:37 PM »
I remembered them having hokey designs at first but...

:rofl

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1982 on: August 16, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
I think Gul Dukat played a different cardassian on TNG right?
What

Tasty

« Reply #1983 on: August 16, 2019, 01:12:17 PM »
I think Gul Dukat played a different cardassian on TNG right?

First Cardassian, Gul Macet in season 4.

Himu

« Reply #1984 on: August 16, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
Rewatched All Good Things. Third or maybe fourth time ever seeing it. It didn't click in past viewings but I really liked it this time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1985 on: August 17, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
Rewatched Galileo Seven. Jesus Christ, I can't stand this episode. So many officers questioning Spock. Placing their petty human reasoning above all else and treating human values as the best and most important. You're stranded on a planet, you need to fix a shuttle or you all die and you demand to take manpower, resources, and time away for a fucking funeral? Red shirts die all the time on TOS. Why in the fuck would anyone unprofessionally endanger the mission and question the commanding officer (Spock) for a funeral in a life or death situation? The constant questioning of Spock's orders, the condescending racism of treating Spock's Vulcan values as lesser than, the emotional outbursts, wanting to kill sentient life forms on an unknown planet (even the senior medical officer) and having a problem when Spock chooses non-violence instead. Then there's the premise of the episode in general. Why the fuck would Kirk send out a shuttle in that bag of shit anyways? What the fuck. The episode sucks regurgitated Saurian ale. This episode is beneath Star Trek is and is utter drek. I've watched it before and I do not plan on watching it ever again.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1986 on: August 18, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »
This is why Cindi isn't Captain, despite years in the service of the Federation.

Himu

« Reply #1987 on: August 18, 2019, 11:27:09 PM »
what does that mean??
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1988 on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:35 AM »
Watched Star Trek Insurrection. Haven't seen it since it came out.

I really liked it. Felt like another TNG episode. Helps a lot that some of my favorite episodes are first contact episodes.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1989 on: August 19, 2019, 04:30:13 AM »
I really like this movie and think it’s better than First Contact.

https://www.tor.com/2013/04/16/star-trek-insurrection/
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1990 on: August 19, 2019, 06:32:35 AM »
Insurrections pretty bad though  :-\

Also, if you can stomach a wesley episode, rewatch Journey's End which has basically the same plot, except Picard has literally the opposite stance on it, although insureection was made however many years into voyager and captain-hypocrisy so they'd stopped caring by then I guess about consistency

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1991 on: August 19, 2019, 06:43:47 AM »
Also I just finished up The Orville season 2, and as star trek knock-offy as it is, its still more enjoyable than Discovery :stahp

Its just rubbing salt in the wound to have episodes directed by Riker, and cameos by EMH, Troi, Tuvok and Dr Phlox

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1992 on: August 19, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »
The only good Wesley episode is The First Duty.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1993 on: August 19, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #1994 on: August 19, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Title + thumbnail and I'm already rolling

Tasty

« Reply #1995 on: August 19, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
:ryker

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1996 on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »
Watched The Motion Picture and The Search for Spock on Amazon Prime this weekend. Both movies are flawed, but kinda cool in their own way. Also TSFP is the only time a middle-aged William Shatner beating up Doc Brown could ever count as an action scene.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1997 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
Insurrections pretty bad though  :-\

Insurrection isn't bad at all and I've already seen that episode. I also happen to like that episode. Like I said, I love off world episodes. Especially ones with philosophical and ethical quandaries. That just happens to be the kind of Trek I like. Who Watches the Watchers is a top 5 Trek episode for me. Darmok imo is the best Trek episode of all time. So...

Not sure how a Star Trek fan can say Insurrection is bad. It has awkward pacing but it's full on Trek.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1998 on: August 19, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »
Section 31 is kind of stretching how assholish earthgov the federation can get while still being the federation, teaming up with mustache twirling pantomime villain F. Muray Abraham to steal a planets immortality potion is borderline an Asterix plot

:idont

Himu

« Reply #1999 on: August 19, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
Section 31 is kind of stretching how assholish earthgov the federation can get while still being the federation, teaming up with mustache twirling pantomime villain F. Muray Abraham to steal a planets immortality potion is borderline an Asterix plot

Is this even a sentence or is it a fragment?

And while theft, they're also right in that it could help with medical tech. They're not even going to kill them. They're just going to relocate. Federation just has a greater good argument. I see no difference between the predicament in Insurrection and the ones in other TNG off world episodes ranging from Ensign Ro, Who Watches the Watchers, Darmok, Pre-Emptive Attack, or The Ensign of Command. Its flaw is that it's a TNG episode stretched to 2 hours which results in flawed pacing. But the overall story beats are good.

It's much better than First Contact imo, which is just a generic action/revenge movie for the most part.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:34:09 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2000 on: August 19, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
Watched The Motion Picture and The Search for Spock on Amazon Prime this weekend. Both movies are flawed, but kinda cool in their own way. Also TSFP is the only time a middle-aged William Shatner beating up Doc Brown could ever count as an action scene.

I really like The Search for Spock.

Also I need order the Directors Edition of Motion Picture on dvd. I hear it's much better than regular TMP.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2001 on: August 19, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
Star Fleet are somewhat unique in scifi as being idealistic and utopian; even where they're doing shady shit (eg Section 31) theres plausible deniability, and the implication is that most federation citizens would lose their shit if they ever found out about it as a complete betrayal of everything they stand for.

F Murray Abraham - apart from being fucking great in general - is a proper cartoon super villain in Insurrection. Like, you could take that character and have him ranting at Captain Planet, or working for Cobra Commander without skipping a beat. It's not subtle because it's not meant to be subtle. He's A Bad Guy. It's pretty clear to the audience right up front.

So hinging the entire plot on the federations willingness to team up with A Bad Guy to displace a settlement and steal their resources, isn't exactly a moral dilemma, like many of the episodes dealing with the nuance of things like the Prime Directive in theory versus testing those ideal in practice do. They're working with the Bad Guy. They're complicit in what the Bad Guy does.

e: I mean, I don't much like First Contact either :trumps

Tasty

« Reply #2002 on: August 19, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
Director's Cut is the only way to go on TMP.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2003 on: August 19, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »

I really like The Search for Spock.

Also I need order the Directors Edition of Motion Picture on dvd. I hear it's much better than regular TMP.

The DC touched up some of the special effects and shortened some of the effects scenes that were needlessly long, really helps the movie flow better.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2004 on: August 19, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
Star Fleet are somewhat unique in scifi as being idealistic and utopian; even where they're doing shady shit (eg Section 31) theres plausible deniability, and the implication is that most federation citizens would lose their shit if they ever found out about it as a complete betrayal of everything they stand for.

F Murray Abraham - apart from being fucking great in general - is a proper cartoon super villain in Insurrection. Like, you could take that character and have him ranting at Captain Planet, or working for Cobra Commander without skipping a beat. It's not subtle because it's not meant to be subtle. He's A Bad Guy. It's pretty clear to the audience right up front.

So hinging the entire plot on the federations willingness to team up with A Bad Guy to displace a settlement and steal their resources, isn't exactly a moral dilemma, like many of the episodes dealing with the nuance of things like the Prime Directive in theory versus testing those ideal in practice do. They're working with the Bad Guy. They're complicit in what the Bad Guy does.

I don't really care if the bad guy isn't terribly good. That's not the point to me. The point imo is standing up for Federation ideals. Federation regularly makes bad calls such as the entire thing with the Macquis. And Picard is on Starfleet's side there. Whether you disagree with that or not (I happen to disagree) I still personally find it riveting storytelling. And yes, it's an ethical question. Whether the bad guys are wrong doesn't change that it's an ethical question.

IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2005 on: August 19, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
Yeah, I wish TMP Director's Cut was on Blu-Ray, but apparently they only prepared the updated SFX for 480p and Paramount hasn't wanted to cough up the dough to create a 4K remaster yet. It was mentioned at Comic-Con that they've been toying with the idea for the 40th Anniversary (this year), but so far they haven't started on it.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/19/paramount-considering-4k-star-trek-the-motion-picture-directors-edition/
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #2006 on: August 19, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
The only good Wesley episode is The First Duty.

Journey's End is good. Not because of the Wesley stuff but how you get to see Picard maneuver and handle something akin to a proto-Macquis. Picard's interactions with Macquis in Pre-Emptive Strike is fascinating.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2007 on: August 19, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
I mean, that clip in a nutshell is the big flaw, and why its not really an ethical dilemma: starfleet man just goes "oh, yeah, well it would conflict with the prime directive, but that doesn't count because they weren't born there".

The Prime Directive is about not fucking about with another culture. Definitely not because they have assets you fancy grabbing and want to rationalise it. Definitely definitely definitely not pre-warp cultures.
Their plan is a straight up violation, in both 'spirit' and 'letter' of the law, and Picard is 100% in the right to call it out as such.

Himu

« Reply #2008 on: August 19, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
I mean, that clip in a nutshell is the big flaw, and why its not really an ethical dilemma: starfleet man just goes "oh, yeah, well it would conflict with the prime directive, but that doesn't count because they weren't born there".

The Prime Directive is about not fucking about with another culture. Definitely not because they have assets you fancy grabbing and want to rationalise it. Definitely definitely definitely not pre-warp cultures.
Their plan is a straight up violation, in both 'spirit' and 'letter' of the law, and Picard is 100% in the right to call it out as such.

Have you seen Insurrection?

They make it a point that the people aren't pre-warp. They're warp capable and have chosen to strip their culture of technology. They're basically Space Amish people.

The reasoning is two fold:

1. They are not pre-warp.
2. They weren't even born there. They settled that land.

It's not a Prime Directive question then, and the Federation is correct in that.

Why are you bringing up pre-warp societies in this? It's not related to this species.

And so what if it's a violation? If there weren't tension there'd be no story. And let's be real, Starfleet have done this numerous times. I personally don't object to stories that place Starfleet in the ethical wrong. Nor do I see why or how that makes a story bad or else I'd also have to hate In The Pale Moonlight. Your argument is very flimsy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:05:09 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2009 on: August 19, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
yeah, I've seen it, but when it came out, and I thought them being space amish was like a mid-film reveal, not something everyone knew from the start - and even then "oh, but its fine they weren't born there" is some rationalising fuckery for stealing their shit.

Like I say, Section 31 is about where I draw the line for subverting the expectations of the Federation as being Lawful Good - In the Pale Moonlight is a great episode, but again, its contained to a few people acting mostly independently, who know its wrong, and are under duress in a time of war.

If the plot for insurrection was like... they're space amish and its their religion to not use teleports or spaceships, but the whole planets about to explode and they'll all die... that's an ethical conundrum about respecting the wishes of another culture versus the death of a species, including members of which are too young to make that decision for themselves. Do you just watch people die knowing you can help, or do you overrule their beliefs to save their lives?

Himu

« Reply #2010 on: August 19, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »

I like First Contact a lot. I just like Insurrection more. It's more Trek-like.

I don't see the problem tbh. We see Geordi's optic nerve heal itself and him witness his first sunrise. Even with their 24th century tech they couldn't heal Geordi's eye condition. That's why it's an ethical quandary. They legitimately have tech that is beyond even the Federation's that could serve to help advance medical tech. You can see how tempting that is and the Federation is right in that it'd be useful. Even Picard says he can see the allure. But Picard is right in that it's wrong to relocate an entire people, no matter the number.

That's why it's an ethical battle. They both have good points.

"In the Pale Moonlight is a great episode, but again, its contained to a few people acting mostly independently, who know its wrong, and are under duress in a time of war."

Insurrection also happens during the Dominion War. We're talking about the same Federation that used Odo to send a disease to the shapeshifters. :yeshrug

Remember in DS9 when a few admirals were complicit in trying to start a coup or something? I really don't see the problem here. Federation gets their hands dirty when they can. :idont

I have no idea how you can critique Insurrection for this and even be able to stomach watching DS9 which paints the Federation in a bad light on more than one occasion.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:40:57 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2011 on: August 19, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
We're talking about the same Federation that used Odo to send a disease to the shapeshifters. :yeshrug

Yeah, but that's Section 31, and when people find out about it they're fucking appalled by it - its why... Sloane, is it? gives his big speech to Bashir that he knows he's a monster doing terrible things, but he does it in secret so the rest of the Federation can live up to their own ideals.
I can buy into that as a realpolitik extension of federation ideals of 'playing fair' when most of the rest of the universe don't, and you've got things like romulan fuckery going all the way back to TOS.
It's just a step too far to me to have actual Federation going "Oh, hey, this planet has space oil, and we're teaming up with space-Halliburton to relocate them all when they're asleep. It's fine, we ran it through the lawyers and theres a loophole, because they weren't actually born there. We still cool though, right jean-luc?".

Himu

« Reply #2012 on: August 19, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
I mean...

GALLATIN: They're following the kelbonite deposits. Using the interference to block our transporters.

RU'AFO: Recommendations?

DOUGHERTY: Take me down. Let me talk to Picard.

RU'AFO: Talk! We should send down an assault team and take them by force.

DOUGHERTY: That is not an acceptable option. If people get hurt, all the support we have in the Federation...

RU'AFO: Federation support, Federation procedures, Federation rules. ...Look in the mirror, Admiral. The Federation is old. In the past twenty-four months, they've been challenged by every major power in the Quadrant. The Borg, the Cardassians, the Dominion. They all smell the scent of death on the Federation. That's why you've embraced our offer, because it will give your dear Federation new life. Well, how badly do you want it, Admiral? Because there are hard choices to be made. Now! If the Enterprise gets through with news about their brave Captain's valiant struggle on behalf of the defenceless Ba'ku, your Federation politicians will waver, your Federation opinion polls will open a public debate, your Federation allies will want their say. ...Need I go on?

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2013 on: August 19, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »
We're talking about the same Federation that used Odo to send a disease to the shapeshifters. :yeshrug

Yeah, but that's Section 31, and when people find out about it they're fucking appalled by it - its why... Sloane, is it? gives his big speech to Bashir that he knows he's a monster doing terrible things, but he does it in secret so the rest of the Federation can live up to their own ideals.
I can buy into that as a realpolitik extension of federation ideals of 'playing fair' when most of the rest of the universe don't, and you've got things like romulan fuckery going all the way back to TOS.
It's just a step too far to me to have actual Federation going "Oh, hey, this planet has space oil, and we're teaming up with space-Halliburton to relocate them all when they're asleep. It's fine, we ran it through the lawyers and theres a loophole, because they weren't actually born there. We still cool though, right jean-luc?".

"But that's Section 31" :lol

Which the FEDERATION allows to exist.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2014 on: August 19, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
yeah, thats like, 10 seconds away from a "We're not so different, you and I..." monologue.

Occam

« Reply #2015 on: August 19, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »
First Contact is awful, because it ruins the Borg by giving them a queen, which is idiotic.
The borg are a collective organism with collective intelligence. It makes no sense for them to have a leader.
"Moviegoers are dumb, they need a bad guy (or gal)."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:52:47 PM by Occam »

Tasty

« Reply #2016 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
Having a local leader/coordinator (there are multiple Borg Queens) for a hive makes sense and is rooted in nature.

It may be a disagreeable narrative decision, but I wouldn't say it completely clashes with the Borg concept as we knew it pre-First Contact.

Himu

« Reply #2017 on: August 19, 2019, 08:20:12 PM »
How does a hive mind/collective having a leader go against a collective? Have you ever heard of bees or ants? The Borg we often see even act just like worker ants/bees
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2018 on: August 19, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
half of First Contact's greatness is the stuff that happens on the planet at the same time, it's fucking brilliant movie making

benjipwns

« Reply #2019 on: August 19, 2019, 10:08:29 PM »
Rewatched Galileo Seven.
Watched Star Trek Insurrection. Haven't seen it since it came out.

I really liked it. Felt like another TNG episode. Helps a lot that some of my favorite episodes are first contact episodes.
Some things you might want to check out:
1. IDW comics Star Trek - Volume 1 (issues #3-4) - A re-imagining of "The Galileo Seven" in the AbramsTrek universe that I thought was decently good, actually many of the reimaginings of TOS episodes they did for this comic I enjoyed. Same TPB has "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which I really quite liked.

2. Fade In: The Making of Star Trek Insurrection by Michael Piller (never published book, after he died his wife made it available in PDF online, if you can't find it I can post it for The Bire), the film started as something quite different and much more explicitly a Star Trek Apocalypse Now before the studio essentially rewrote it

Himu

« Reply #2020 on: August 19, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
half of First Contact's greatness is the stuff that happens on the planet at the same time, it's fucking brilliant movie making

I love all that stuff.

Troi really shines in that bar.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2021 on: August 19, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
Alsooooo are the IDW trek comics good?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2022 on: August 19, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »
I've read quite a lot of them and I'd say that the TNG stuff is kinda lame, the stuff tied in with the Abrams films in terms of actual plot (Countdown, Nero, Khan, Countdown to Darkness, etc.) is some quality "oh god how do I possibly tie this into continuity" from the writers handed a pile of shit but otherwise lame, and the ongoing series that had sixty some issues and just takes the AbramsTrek crew and does adventures with it is actually enjoyable and pretty good like Beyond is. Because really it's just more TOS adventures similar to when DC used to do a series, like then they do a lot of three-four issue arcs.

Nothing amazing but if you want to just read some Trek comics it does pretty well. Though later on they do get a bit nutty like have Q show up.

One guy wrote pretty much the entire run except for a couple issues so the characterization and stuff stays consistent.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2023 on: August 20, 2019, 01:46:37 AM »
Having a local leader/coordinator (there are multiple Borg Queens) for a hive makes sense and is rooted in nature.

It may be a disagreeable narrative decision, but I wouldn't say it completely clashes with the Borg concept as we knew it pre-First Contact.

I respectfully disagree. The Borg felt relentless and unknowable, the intelligence behind it beyond an individual, like arguing with an ocean. This is sophomoric connect-the-dots bullshit of some pleb in the writer's room saying, "Waitaminnit, 'hive' mind? Like a bee? They have a queen!" Putting out a Borg girlfriend for Picard is lame.

If they wanted a retcon for having singular voices, tie it into the Locutus-of-Borg storyline, and explain that these are additional evolutionary attempts to integrate a species elements into The Collective. But instead they just took the cheaper route.

I adore Alice Krige as an actor, and I loved the character design, it's just not what I wanted from a Borg story.

Occam

« Reply #2024 on: August 20, 2019, 05:11:21 AM »
Someone gets it. :)

Himu

« Reply #2025 on: August 20, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
I don’t know about unknowable. Relentless, yes. Unknowable, no. Hugh taught them a lot about the Borg for instance. And it makes sense you’d learn more about the Borg in time. Just like how Klingon culture slowly evolved as Star Trek continued. What, are they are they going to defeat a faceless enemy? Where’s the chase? Where’s the thrill? Did you think the Federation would never be able to defeat the Borg? That they’d be outclassed forever? Where’s a Borg storyline going to go? The Borg don’t even talk in TNG beyond “resistance is futile”. How can you craft an actual storyline of Federation vs Borg and make it compelling if they don’t have a face? Make them like zombies?

Borg Queen is a reasonable compromise of making them still a relentless collective but with a leader in each individual ship.

Borg not making sense and being daunting/unknowable at first is compelling in the start. But how can you keep that up? Even the Zentraudi in Macross have a face, culture, and organization. And they’re just as ruthless. Cylons in BSG also have a face, views, ideals. The Borg without a Queen is just a cube of collective drones. Pretty boring after a while. Also very predictable, which Borg had become by the time TNG even ended.

Respectfully disagree.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:54:17 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2026 on: August 20, 2019, 09:07:30 AM »
One of my favorite all time sci-fi reveals is the Zentradi in Macross. Get your shit rekt by a fleet of ships and mechs. Your entire world is destroyed. You’re the last ship alive out there fighting to survive. You manage to take down a ship and you see the corpse inside it. Turns out you’re fighting a giant human race.

Master class shit.

God I need to rewatch SDF.
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #2027 on: August 20, 2019, 10:44:16 AM »
I don't agree with this at all. The Borg are completely unlike insect drones. They have a collective mind that can use its individual biological components like drones, but each individual part adds to the collective consciousness.

Having an imperfect, narrow minded and flawed individual with personal ambitions acting as queen is idiotic and makes no sense. A collective striving for perfection would get rid of this flaw instantly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:48:56 AM by Occam »

Himu

« Reply #2028 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »
I don't agree with this at all. The Borg are completely unlike insect drones. They have a collective mind that can use its individual biological components like drones, but each individual part adds to the collective consciousness.

Having an imperfect, narrow minded and flawed individual with personal ambition acting as queen is idiotic and makes no sense. A collective striving for perfection would get rid of this flaw instantly.

Okay. How do you expand Borg stories post-TNG then? Borg were already kind of played out by the time Lore were dealing with them. How does a collective, who have no real face,  no voice, who only chase enemies in a giant cube going to continue lend to good stories? Like I said, that type of enemy has a limited nature. It works for a while but how can they keep things going? The whole "we're outgunned and being chased by an unknown foe" works only a few times before eventually gets boring.

I don't see how it ruins the Borg. Janewaye nerfing them certainly did though.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2029 on: August 20, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
A collective striving for perfection wouldn't necessarily go around the galaxy in giant cubes or assimilating anyone, either. What "perfect" is and how to attain it is up to interpretation. Maybe there's a technological reason a billion Borg can't network together without a queen or separate intelligence -- space DDOS, basically.

In the end it's all fiction. The rules are by definition made up.

Is it a good narrative decision? That can be the debate.

is idiotic and makes no sense

Because the Borg never acted idiotically or did things that appeared to make no sense?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2030 on: August 20, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
Alien Vs Predator Vs Borg

Tasty

« Reply #2031 on: August 20, 2019, 11:06:42 AM »
Also fun fact until about ~5 years ago I was 100% convinced the Borg Queen was played in all appearances by Tilda Swinton.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2032 on: August 20, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
Janeway is such an awful captain.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2033 on: August 20, 2019, 03:42:27 PM »
I used to hate Archer as much if not more than Janeway, but I came around on him. Janeway? Nevah.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2034 on: August 20, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »
Captain Janeway :nope

Admiral Janeway :jeb

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
dog

Himu