Author Topic: star trek  (Read 326934 times)

Tasty

Re: star trek
« Reply #1920 on: August 13, 2019, 12:46:00 PM »
Also this reminds me of another critical failing of making Trek prequels: you squander any kind of spinoff or expanded universe capability.

When I was a kid it seemed like Trek really could go on forever. They had the perfect formula: each new "generation" has its own "look" and political situation, and within that generation, since space is so fucking big, you could literally have a dozen Trek shows taking place simultaneously in-canon and have none of them crossover, and it would still not break the suspension of disbelief nearly as bad as "Why doesn't Ant-Man just call in the Avengers?"

But then when you *want* them to crossover, they're literally a warp away from each other.

And then when a generation gets a bit tired, you jump forward 100+ years and start again.

The one-two-three prequel punch of Enterprise-Star Trek '09-Discovery really killed a lot of enthusiasm I had for the franchise, and now I think I've been able to articulate partly why... Trek is about looking forward, not back.

Himu

« Reply #1921 on: August 13, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »
It's the Suikoden problem. Happened around the same time too.

You're now 3-4 or more stories deep into an established continuity and universe. So you make a prequel to "appeal to people who haven't been caught up in the story" to make it have more casual appeal. Then you end up making nothing but prequels. Then you make nothing but spin offs that have nothing to do with the original story or timeline because "the original timeline is too confusing". Suikoden died after that point because old fans have no use for a new continuity and they weren't bringing in new fans despite the attempts to do so. Trek is lucky to still have an audience. It's still stuck in prequel mode because it made another prequel. Basically, prequels are all shit and there's only a handful of good/necessary ones. They ruin franchises that want to suddenly start to appeal to people who don't know what's going on and single handedly ALWAYS alienate core fans.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1922 on: August 13, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »
Didn't this happen to Metroid too? :lol

Fusion hit and literally anyone who touched Metroid after that was like "Yeeeaaaahhh it would be neat to explore Samus, her new status, and how things have changed in this universe... but that seems like a lot of work. Hey look everyone, Ridley and Mother Brain!!" [crowd applauds]

Tasty

« Reply #1923 on: August 13, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »
Being light on story (except for... that one) definitely helps Metroid here, though. Most people probably have no idea the Prime games are interquels.

Himu

« Reply #1924 on: August 13, 2019, 01:03:21 PM »
Didn't this happen to Metroid too? :lol

Fusion hit and literally anyone who touched Metroid after that was like "Yeeeaaaahhh it would be neat to explore Samus, her new status, and how things have changed in this universe... but that seems like a lot of work. Hey look everyone, Ridley and Mother Brain!!" [crowd applauds]

Well, Zero Mission was just a remake. Idk what happened after that. Metroid isn't very story focused either. So I can't talk about this subject.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1925 on: August 13, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
I believe the timeline is:

Metroid/Zero Mission -> Prime 1, 2, and 3 -> Metroid II* -> Super Metroid -> Other M -> Fusion

*3DS version is the canon one, and in fact unites the normal and Prime canons (in a very direct way.)

So yeah, two Prime sequels they were gonna make anyways, and Other M... not nearly as bad as that Suikoden situation lol. What a mess.

That all said... now that Prime is unambiguously canon, and free from the shackles of the concept of a "trilogy"... it would be very exciting to see if Prime 4 takes place after Fusion.

Himu

« Reply #1926 on: August 13, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
In a way, same thing happened to Star Wars.

Star Wars prequels happen. Then you've got these Star Wars prequel cartoons for a full decade. It's like, once you go prequel, there's no coming back. Ever. Star Wars having a sequel after a decade of prequels is almost unprecedented. I can't think of any other property that bounced back after the prequel curse. But even now we're still getting prequels (Solo, Rogue One).

Happened to LOTR too. Once Jackson made The Hobbit there's been no attempt to do live action Scouring of the Shire, which could make a damn good tv series or a single film. Instead we get an Amazon series that's sort of a prequel.

Once you prequel you never come back. Its why Star Trek has been in prequel mode since Enterprise. Ent, JJ Trek, Disco, all prequels. Picard existing and being in the main Trek timeline and a sequel to the last TNG film is nothing short of a damn miracle.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1927 on: August 13, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »
The lesson: never prequel.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1928 on: August 13, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »
I have very little faith in Picard being good.

Himu

« Reply #1929 on: August 13, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
Most of us would agree. At least on this site.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1930 on: August 13, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »
It could have been. And it could be.

But the trailer does not look good, outside of the general feeling of hope that comes from a non-prequel Trek show. Unless they fuck Picard's character over in some way a la his fucking nephew getting fridged in Generations, the show will be worth it just to move the timeline forward and show that it is possible to avoid making a prequel.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1931 on: August 13, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
More fuckery with the star trek license is the toy rights, Hasbro owns the pre-existing stuff currently and when CBS wanted to have them make Discovery toys they said fuck right off this shit wont sell, McFarlane picked up the licences going forward - discovery new movies etc and it's believed (no evidence) Hasbro didnt like the idea of having competing toys so told them to make theirs different, hence the different looks. Hasbro was right, new shit doesnt sell at all :lol

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1932 on: August 13, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »
Did anyone watch the DS9 documentary? I haven't as of yet but they pitched a S8 for DS9 and it sounded interesting as fuck.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
What could have been. :'(
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1933 on: August 13, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
I didnt watch that 30 min video but im going to assume the jist of it is that Parmount licences their rights from CBS and CBS still owns everything

Himu

« Reply #1934 on: August 13, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »
More fuckery with the star trek license is the toy rights, Hasbro owns the pre-existing stuff currently and when CBS wanted to have them make Discovery toys they said fuck right off this shit wont sell, McFarlane picked up the licences going forward - discovery new movies etc and it's believed (no evidence) Hasbro didnt like the idea of having competing toys so told them to make theirs different, hence the different looks. Hasbro was right, new shit doesnt sell at all :lol

Still waiting for Star Trek Legos.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1935 on: August 13, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
Did anyone watch the DS9 documentary? I haven't as of yet but they pitched a S8 for DS9 and it sounded interesting as fuck.

What could have been. :'(
[close]

Yes, I saw it in theaters.

It was good to okay-ish. The problem with documentaries like that is that I never have an urge to see them ever again after the fact.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1936 on: August 13, 2019, 01:40:11 PM »

Let's wait till disney buys CBS :goldberg :yuck

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1937 on: August 13, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
Yeah we don't need another company to body ST CBS is doing just fine in that regard.

Tasty

« Reply #1938 on: August 13, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »

If anything it would need to be Warner Bros...

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1939 on: August 13, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »
Arent Warner Bros selling DC comics or some shit? I recall a casual conversation with someone to the effect.

Himu

« Reply #1940 on: August 13, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »

If anything it would need to be Warner Bros...

And have Star Trek fucked with CW shipping storylines? Over my dead body.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1941 on: August 13, 2019, 01:50:24 PM »
Arent Warner Bros selling DC comics or some shit? I recall a casual conversation with someone to the effect.

They're also really buddy-buddy with Lego, as evidenced by the 800 Lego/DC movies coming out every year.

In addition to that one that was nominated for an Oscar and made half a billion dollars.

Himu

« Reply #1942 on: August 13, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
I would kill for Lego Star Trek games. :tocry
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1943 on: August 13, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
I would kill for Lego Star Trek games. :tocry

The games are usually published by WB Interactive too, for the record.

Himu

« Reply #1944 on: August 13, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »
I would kill for a good Star Trek game period. :tocry A nice comfy single player game where you explore the stars :rejoice Whoever is running Star Trek's game division is a moron for not capitalizing on Mass Effect - it itself heavily inspired by Star Trek. A single player Star Trek rpg where you're an XO and then get promoted to captain, exploring the stars would be GODLIKE. Yeah, there's an MMO but fuck that.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1945 on: August 13, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »

only one i ever liked

Tasty

« Reply #1946 on: August 13, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
Isn't that VR Trek game where you basically just control the Command Deck supposedly pretty awesome?

Cause it sounds pretty awesome.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1947 on: August 13, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »

:aah
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Occam

« Reply #1949 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:57 AM »
Remember when Youtube videos were capped at 10 minutes and people didn't spend several minutes asking for money?
Short clips, straight to the point, no youtube personalities.
Ah yes, the glory days before youtube content was monetized.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1950 on: August 14, 2019, 04:40:22 AM »
idk man, I'd rather have 1 hour movie reviews and character analysis videos by Aleczandxr than go back to 10 minute pewdiepie meme videos.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1951 on: August 14, 2019, 04:48:38 AM »

thanks guys, now this dumbfuck is my recommends

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1952 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »

Just delete bad items from your History. Same as keeping your pubes trimmed. We're not barbarians.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1953 on: August 14, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
idk man, I'd rather have 1 hour movie reviews and character analysis videos by Aleczandxr than go back to 10 minute pewdiepie meme videos.

17-part Mr. Plinkett Star Wars takedowns tho  :jeb
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1954 on: August 14, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »

:expert

The only long winded Star Trek video you need.  :ohyeah

Tasty

« Reply #1955 on: August 14, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
https://deadline.com/2019/08/star-trek-universe-cbs-viacom-merger-franchise-united-1202667413/

:picard

As CBS All Access heads towards launching the much hyped Star Trek: Picard next year, the Trekverse may now be poised for an intensified expansion. Already in the pipeline are multiple animated series, more short films, and a Michelle Yeoh-led Discovery spinoff, and at Comic-Con International the Trek braintrust :brain was openly hinting about the possibilities of a Mr Spock series starring Ethan Peck (grandson of Gregory Peck).

:jeanluc

MOAR PREQUOLS!! :science

Some good news though:

The challenge will be creating a wider pantheon of recognizable characters that goes beyond the familiar core of Picard, Spock, Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Lt. Uhura, Lt. Commander Data, Lt. Commander Worf, and about a dozen others.

At least they acknowledge it...

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1956 on: August 14, 2019, 11:33:53 AM »
Spock wouldn't work as a main character.  :maf

Especially not Discovery Spock Spork.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:40:02 AM by D3RANG3D »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1957 on: August 14, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »
Star Treks problem is the same problem cape movies had pre-MCU (and the problem all based on the vidya films and shows currently have); the people calling the shots know its popular, but don't really know why and think the whole thing is silly so they pick people who have the same outlook to come in and 'fix' the 'silly' and end up with something people not into the franchise don't like, because its still inherently pretty fucking silly, and people who bought in in the first place don't much like because the first thing 'fixed' is a major part of the charm.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1958 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
Saw a video about Lower Decks animated Star Trek series centered around cadets/enlisted on a non important ship, was kind of excited until I found out it is basically done by Rick & Morty people.  :brain

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:31:36 PM by D3RANG3D »

Tasty

« Reply #1959 on: August 14, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
Saw a video about Lower Decks animated Star Trek series centered around cadets/enlisted on a non important ship, was kind excited until I found out it is basically done by Rick & Morty people.  :brain

Can't wait for nerdlingers to lose their shit over Sha Ka Ri nugget sauce! :ryker

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1960 on: August 14, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Saw a video about Lower Decks animated Star Trek series centered around cadets/enlisted on a non important ship, was kind excited until I found out it is basically done by Rick & Morty people.  :brain

Rick & morty is good shit tho
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1961 on: August 14, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
 :neogaf

Tasty

« Reply #1962 on: August 14, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
Klingon Blood nugget sauce :ohhh

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1963 on: August 14, 2019, 01:14:35 PM »
Yamok BBQ Sauce  :aah
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:56:14 PM by D3RANG3D »

Himu

« Reply #1964 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
I SWEAR TO GOD.

I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT A PIKE SHOW.

I DO NOT GIVE AF UCK ABOUT A SPOCK SHOW.

I AM FUCKING SICK OF PREQUELS. I LOVE TOS BUT I. DO. NOT. CARE.

THERE IS ONLY ONE SPOCK AND HE IS DEAD. FUCK OFF.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1965 on: August 14, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »

Never forget!

Himu

« Reply #1966 on: August 14, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
Watched the DS9 documentary, and am I alone in thinking it kinda sucked? I loved the whole S8 first episode pitch, and liked some of the ideas they had like reading bad reactions to DS9 and all that. But it felt a little to wanking themselves off to me, more so than most "we made this special thing" documentaries.

Completely agreed.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1967 on: August 14, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
What if instead of a lot of shitty Trek, they made one good Trek? :thinking
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1968 on: August 14, 2019, 01:35:00 PM »
No let's milk it all to the bone.

Anyways, it's a good thing Trek is at one place again. That's the GOOD news.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1969 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1970 on: August 14, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
What if instead of a lot of shitty Trek, they made one good Trek? :thinking

CBS exec reading this post:

Himu

« Reply #1971 on: August 15, 2019, 01:13:07 AM »
I know I've been critical of TNG in the past,, but I really want to emphasize that although it's not imo the best Trek, it's actually probably my favorite. The past few months (the past year actually I watch random TNG episodes, like one a day. Life has been extraordinarily dark and TNG just gives a little light. It's the definition of television comfort food. Picard is pretty much my favorite captain at this point.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1972 on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »
Its comfy af. I am changing my favorite Captain to Kirk though.

Himu

« Reply #1973 on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:52 AM »
Its comfy af. I am changing my favorite Captain to Kirk though.

Is it because you wish you were a 60's go go dancer aboard his ship?
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1974 on: August 15, 2019, 01:23:35 AM »
Sorry Im on my phone lazy posting I meant TNG is comfy af. Kirk is my new favorite Captain now.

I do want to wear one of those skirts.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:41:59 PM by D3RANG3D »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1975 on: August 15, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
Cardassians in DS9. :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #1976 on: August 15, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »

Cardassians in general :rejoice

There wasn’t a single bad Cardassians episode in TNG. If it wasn’t good it was at least decent. Between Chain of Command, Ensign Ro, The Wounded they were master class episodes.
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1977 on: August 15, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »
There was that one obnoxious Cardassian on Voyager though
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1978 on: August 15, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »

Cardassians in general :rejoice

There wasn’t a single bad Cardassians episode in TNG. If it wasn’t good it was at least decent. Between Chain of Command, Ensign Ro, The Wounded they were master class episodes.

THERE
ARE
FOUR
LIGHTS
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1979 on: August 15, 2019, 10:00:55 PM »
Damar best Cardassian bro :rejoice