Author Topic: star trek  (Read 330498 times)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: star trek
« Reply #1800 on: June 28, 2019, 01:26:02 PM »
I hope they produce themselves to the unemployment line.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1801 on: June 28, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »
They're obviously playing it up but man the writing sounds like total garbage through and through.
ὕβρις

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1802 on: June 28, 2019, 07:19:52 PM »

Occam

« Reply #1803 on: June 30, 2019, 05:59:35 AM »

Just got around to watching this and it's all true.
I like the characters of Discovery, I like the designs, the look, the production values are movie-quality, but the writing is bad. They really needed to not make this up as they went along, which is the worst sin a show with a season-long arch can commit, which is obviously what happened.
As I wrote before, I quite enjoyed the second season of Discovery (which to my defense I watched while I was in bed with a flu) but after letting it sink in and having a closer look at all the contrivances and unresolved plot elements there is no denying that it was a mess. Why do the studios continue to employ hacks instead of actual science fiction authors? Alex Kurtzman is a trash tier writer. The thing is, Discovery season two could have been great with a few small changes; all they needed to do is plan everything in advance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:16:26 AM by Occam »

Tasty

« Reply #1804 on: July 04, 2019, 05:21:28 AM »
"Find the person that seems farthest from you, and reach for them... Reach for them :brazilcry"

WTF does that even mean? :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1805 on: July 04, 2019, 05:30:59 AM »
"Find the person that seems farthest from you, and reach for them... Reach for them :brazilcry"

Set yourself high end goals and reach over the divide to every one.
Seems pretty self explanatory. Sounds a bit trite.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #1806 on: July 04, 2019, 05:44:57 AM »
It's not trite, it's clunky. There are a multitude of better ways to write that intention.

"Yeah but you're an internet armchair writer nerd."

True, but I'm also not getting paid millions of dollars not to botch the finale of one of the most influential franchises of all time.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1807 on: July 04, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »
On the whole, Captain, I believe I am quite fit. Fascinating. A remarkable example of a retrograde civilisation. At the peak, advanced beyond any of our capabilities and now operating at this primitive level which you saw. And it all began thousands of years ago when a glacial age reoccurred. This underground complex was developed for the women. The men remained above, and a male-female schism took place.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1808 on: July 04, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
"Find the person that seems farthest from you, and reach for them... Reach for them :brazilcry "

Set yourself high end goals and reach over the divide to every one.
Seems pretty self explanatory. Sounds a bit trite.
could also mean grow longer arms by stretching  :ryker

Tasty

« Reply #1809 on: July 04, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
Kurtzman is tying in Fan4stic to the Star Trek universe :ohhh

Himu

« Reply #1810 on: July 04, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
Monkey D Spock!!
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1811 on: July 08, 2019, 03:21:54 AM »
from a con six years ago: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/08/11/the-star-trek-movies-as-ranked-by-star-trek-con-goers
7. Galaxy Quest

You may have noticed this list began at 13 and that there are, to date, only 12 Star Trek films. That's because Galaxy Quest made the cut. Not only did Galaxy Quest make the cut, it was listed at NUMBER TWO early in the proceedings. And what's more, Mike and Denise Okuda - the graphic designers who created the GUI on all TNG era ships - lobbied for it to be considered the best film in the franchise. These are people who started working on Trek with The Voyage Home! The film's inclusion was met with largely happy replies, although one guy seemed offended it was listed at all. Eventually the film dropped from the second spot to nestle right here, dividing the halves of the list, coming right between the movies people like and the rest of them.
8)

benjipwns

« Reply #1812 on: July 08, 2019, 03:23:27 AM »
saintaugust • 6 years ago
If GALAXY QUEST can make the list, I think MASTER & COMMANDER should at least be considered. It's the best STAR TREK story that happens to not be in a STAR TREK movie.
:ohhh

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1813 on: July 10, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #1814 on: July 10, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
The dog being named Number One :lol

Occam

« Reply #1815 on: July 10, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
 Not gonna click that video, nerds with allahu-akbar-beards who shout at me on youtube are starting to repulse me.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1816 on: July 11, 2019, 04:59:51 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1817 on: July 11, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1818 on: July 12, 2019, 01:03:37 AM »
i really, really, really hope they dont make Picard into a sad man that regrets his time in Starfleet. I'm cool with sorta a plot with a threat only he can really deal with given his experience with the Borg (laughs in Janeway), but please do not sour Picard's history :maf

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1819 on: July 12, 2019, 01:11:26 AM »
Out of what has been hinted at I think that is what they are going for.

Occam

« Reply #1820 on: July 12, 2019, 03:36:08 AM »
I think the proper way to deal with this is to pretend that All Good Things is the end of Next Generation's canon.
Just like Star Wars only is the Original Trilogy to me.

Himu

« Reply #1821 on: July 12, 2019, 03:43:14 AM »
Apparently Picard did very badly at a test show. More JJ Trek than TNG according to rumors.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1822 on: July 12, 2019, 06:59:21 AM »
Apparently Picard did very badly at a test show. More JJ Trek than TNG according to rumors.

Rich Evans: *laughs*

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1823 on: July 13, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »
As long as they have Picard punching Borg cubes with his space ship arms then I'm in. :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The power of math/science :rejoice
[close]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:49:20 PM by D3RANG3D »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1824 on: July 13, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »
I like the JJ Trek, but  :stahp :goldberg :donot
Action-Picard was the worst version of Picard

Tasty

« Reply #1825 on: July 13, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/06/13/rumor-alex-kurtzman-fired-by-cbs-test-shows-for-star-trek-picard-are-horrible/

The rumor comes from Gary Buechler aka Nerdrotic. Buechler notes a Star Trek insider contacted him and told him, “Kurtzman has been fired. He is refusing to give up the title but there are 3 producers who have taken over as showrunners.”

The source adds, “He has been replaced. He is refusing to lose the title but there are three other producer who are exercising his functions. He is not even allowed on set. He has been Orci’ed.” (Ed. note: :lol)

However, Buechler’s insider notes the show is not screening well. His insider tells him the show has “75 to 80% negativity. The 20% who tested positive were people who labeled themselves Abrams fans like it.”

Cause that's what this situation needs, more producers in the kitchen. :juicy

Get Brian Fuller back. Or moneyhat Stephen S. DeKnight or Drew Goddard or anybody with a great drama under their belt.  :wow

Himu

« Reply #1826 on: July 13, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »
Just get Star Trek alumni like Moore and Behr involved. Fuck.

They’re cleaning up shop on The Orville. Surely they can bring more stories to actual Trek.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1827 on: July 15, 2019, 01:37:34 AM »
Been rewatching a lot of Trek lately (full disclosure: to arm myself against Disco season 1 haters) and I sort of can't believe that "The Offspring" was first aired in 1990.

Maybe I'm reading it too much through the lens of 2019 than I should, I don't know. It does veer into "machines have no rights" eventually and that's very well-worn science fiction territory.

Himu

« Reply #1828 on: July 15, 2019, 02:23:02 AM »
Why against Disco s1 haters? Btw that means nothing. I liked s1 of Disco and think s2 was rabid feces.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1829 on: July 15, 2019, 02:31:26 AM »
Because they fucking suck. >:( :punch

Himu

« Reply #1830 on: July 15, 2019, 02:44:50 AM »
Lemme guess: they’re all racist MRA’s, right?
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1831 on: July 15, 2019, 02:46:59 AM »
Because they fucking suck. >:( :punch
No u.

Kara

« Reply #1832 on: July 15, 2019, 02:52:48 AM »
Lemme guess: they’re all racist MRA’s, right?

Just people who haven't watched Enterprise anytime recently.

Tasty

« Reply #1833 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:39 AM »
Why against Disco s1 haters? Btw that means nothing. I liked s1 of Disco and think s2 was rabid feces.

Why did you like s1 and not s2?

Himu

« Reply #1834 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »

Why did you like s1 and not s2?

Season 1 for Trek is always the worst season, sans TOS and VOY. Sans TOS because it's one of the best seasons of Trek ever. Sans VOY because VOY s2 is actually considerably worse than s1, much like Disco.

Season 1 of Disco has some ideas. They have the pieces set, and while it's flawed, I thought it had some good episodes. I thought the first season of Disco was probably among the best first seasons of Star Trek in its history despite its glaring holes. Only TOS tops it and I think it's even steven with DS9's (which I am an unashamed slut for). I saw lots of potential. And then in S2 they screwed the pooch by making it an insipid nostalgia fest. The first episode is full of franchise navel gazing and they even introduce actual tie-ins of prior TOS episodes like the Menagarie. At least in DS9 when they introduced TOS it was a filler joke of an episode just for laughs. I do not care about Pike. I do not care about tying in to TOS. I hate shit like that. Prequels are fucking stupid. Stand on your own merits (Better Call Saul), continue an already told story (post-VOY) or get the fuck off my tv.

I couldn't stand the endless,"do you remember SpcOcK? What about PiEEEk?" The first episode of Disco s2 was almost unwatachable for me in how they kept building up "where's Spock??!" and built an entire fucking half season around that very question. I'm watching a Star Trek prequel involving a character I'm well informed about and don't give a fuck to know more about. At least in s1, for better or for worse, you guys did your own thing. That I can respect.

It was so creatively bankrupt and rested on its laurels serving fan service blow jobs while on an official "apology tour" for season 1 when no apology was needed. Unfortunately, it decided jacking off its own teet was necessary with horribly self aggrandizing crap like "the power of math" and "i liek science  :-["

It was then I realized Disco staff have no fucking idea what they're doing, what the show is about, whether it has a vision or anything.

I defended s1 in this thread without mercy and then it turned into a cynical corporate cash grab of a farce beat Trekkie's dicks so they see another Spock or another Pike.

Thank fuck Disco s3 is way in the future so they have a clean slate to do something interesting. Unfortunately it might also be the last Disco season as well. Fucking RIP you hack frauds.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:05:20 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1835 on: July 16, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »
Just people who haven't watched Enterprise anytime recently.

Enterprise had Porthos, already better than Discovery :hmph

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1836 on: July 16, 2019, 01:34:04 PM »
Enterprise had Shran. :rejoice

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1837 on: July 16, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
Jeffrey Combs, god of Trek :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #1838 on: July 16, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
Enterprise had Shran. :rejoice

That honor duel. :whew

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1841 on: July 16, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »
Jeffery Combs being overshadowed on that VOY ep because The Rock Peoples Elbowed someone lol.

benjipwns

« Reply #1842 on: July 17, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »
https://www.startrek.com/news/every-star-trek-character-played-jeffrey-combs-ranked
article makes a good point, GOG needs to save the Elite Force and Armada games from the memory hole

Tasty

« Reply #1843 on: July 20, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1844 on: July 20, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1845 on: July 20, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »
I'm mixed.

Looks too action-focused.

On the other hand, post-Voyager.

I'm hyped but very cautious.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:59:43 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1846 on: July 20, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
Looks like shite.

Himu

« Reply #1847 on: July 20, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
I know I'm new to this trekkie thing but nothing about that looks like what I'd want, unsurprisingly.

When 7 of 9 showed up I couldn't help but get extreme cringe bumps.

Yeah aside from cameos.

This show could two ways:

1. It's JJ Trek action-fest and what we see is what we get.

or

2. They're marketing it as JJ Trek action-fest but it's actually a laid back Trek adventure, kind of like how Orville advertises itself as primarily Star Trek with fart jokes but ended up having the best sci-fi show this year by miles and had the most Trekkian TNG vibe of any show since TNG.

I really, really hope it's a fake out and it's number 2.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1848 on: July 20, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1849 on: July 20, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »
I see you guys posted it and discussed it already but yeah

:lol :lol :lol

It looks well made, and better than garbage Discovery, but this old man needs to be the captain why exactly?

Why can't they just make a fucking star trek about exploring the galaxy? Why does the galaxy need to be saved every time now?

BOOOORING

HighlandPhoenix
3 hours ago
Where's the 'Tea. Earl grey. Hot.'?
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1850 on: July 20, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

Brent Spiner's makeup is working extra hard in the clip.
dog

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1851 on: July 20, 2019, 10:10:25 PM »
On the one hand: looks so action-focused  :nope

On the other hand: they’re bringing back Hugh into the story  :ohyeah

I haven’t finished Voyager so I don’t know if Seven’s story makes Hugh redundant, but all the same I’m glad to see the character return, especially since his and Picard’s relationship is particularly unique

Occam

« Reply #1852 on: July 21, 2019, 01:11:40 AM »

Brent Spiner's makeup is working extra hard in the clip.

It looks weird. Maybe it's computer-rejuvenation. Otherwise, Spiner's makeup is the MVP.

benjipwns

« Reply #1853 on: July 21, 2019, 04:00:36 AM »
but this old man needs to be the captain why exactly?
Well let me tell you something. Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.

benjipwns

« Reply #1854 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:29 AM »
season budget: $50 million
-de-aging Brent Spiner for five minutes: $48.6 million
-items on Patrick Stewart's rider: $1.15 million
-everything else: $250,000

Tasty

« Reply #1855 on: July 21, 2019, 08:09:58 AM »
Worth every penny.

Himu

IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1857 on: July 22, 2019, 01:33:14 AM »
 :nope

That's not Borg cube punching.  :ohyeah

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1858 on: July 22, 2019, 02:04:15 AM »
I'm like  :nope :larry :jeanluc :rage :whatsthedeal :batman :ltg :rogan :cornette :era :nugenix :hmm :juicy :crazy :betty  on that trailer

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1859 on: July 23, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »
I rewatched some of the Q episodes and saw the one with Vash, and was like oh yeah that was a thing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
  :whew
[close]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:39:12 PM by D3RANG3D »