Author Topic: star trek  (Read 330855 times)

Himu

Re: star trek
« Reply #1380 on: September 07, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh?!

I did not say this about the federation?!?!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:51:02 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1381 on: September 11, 2018, 01:51:38 AM »

didnt know this was a thing

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1382 on: September 12, 2018, 02:52:34 AM »

Himu

IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1384 on: September 16, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1385 on: September 16, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1386 on: September 17, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Heh TNG does get better in season 2. I know she's only there for this season but Pulaski, despite obviously brought in to ape the McCoy/Spock dynamic, is way better than Crusher. I don't hate Beverley but the whole romantic dynamic with Picard really feels out of place and interfered in her motivations as an actual doctor (and by contrast she was a bit of a doormat). I don't think the Original Show was all that deep with the character arcs and that works better in that formula.

Overall it feels they have a much better grip on the cast chemistry and pacing. I didn't mind the stories in S1 but the episodes was pretty flat and the conclusions felt too barebones or simple because of it (the evolving killing drones on the arms dealing planet, the black goo, the frozen XX century people "MUH TESLA STOCKS !" for instance).
ὕβρις

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1387 on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1388 on: September 17, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
TNG Up the long ladder Obnoxious Irish stereotypes !
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1389 on: September 17, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
Pulaski is way better and should have stayed on. Dr Crusher is zzz. She might be a worse character than Troi. At least Troi had an occasional good ep (like the one where her bf has to kill himself for a ritual or something idk). Crusher doesn’t even have that. I expressed this to TNG fans when I first watched it and duringu rewatch and TNG fans just went ape shit as if she’s a good character like Picard or Data or Worf (she’s not). I think too much of TNG is based on nostalgia rather than having a critical eye towards it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1390 on: September 17, 2018, 06:31:05 PM »
On the other hand she’s hot and she’s like the comfort food equivalent of a Trek Doctor. I don’t like her as a character but it just feels right with her there so :yeshrug
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1391 on: September 17, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
I don’t hate Doc Crusher. I just see...wasted opportunity with all of the female characters on TNG. Which sucks. I love Vash and Ensign Ro tho. Especially Ro.

I don’t hate Alexander either. The ep where they go to the Wild West is the only good holodeck focused ep in tng imo. So cute.

I hate Winn, Mama Troi, and Wesley. That’s about it. Oh and Neelix.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1392 on: September 17, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
I technically love to hate Kai Winn rather than “get off of my screen” hate.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1393 on: September 17, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Her interaction with Kira is something I always love for :lawd
IYKYK

FatRiker

« Reply #1394 on: September 18, 2018, 04:47:20 AM »
What's the matter - don't you like girls?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1395 on: September 18, 2018, 05:35:04 AM »
Mirror Kira :phil

First Contact/Insurrection Beverly and Troi :phil

spoiler (click to show/hide)
MIRROR HOSHI :mouf

[close]
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #1396 on: September 18, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »
User was warned: DOWNPLAYING RAPE GANGS

RAPE GANGS :phil

RAPE GANGS
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1397 on: September 18, 2018, 05:56:56 AM »
What's the matter - don't you like girls?

The Irish wool bra is really something.

My favourite moment so far is Riva's chorus getting zapped Mars Attacks ! style.
The head explosion at the end of the first season was also fun.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:43:16 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1398 on: September 18, 2018, 03:36:14 PM »
User was warned: DOWNPLAYING RAPE GANGS

RAPE GANGS :phil

RAPE GANGS
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1399 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »
TNG Shades of Gray : A clip show by season 2 already ?  :beli
Edit : Writers strike year apparently.
Edit : Oh yes reuse the clip of the stunt double of geriatric Admiral Puppet Mastered doing that magnificent Savate kick on Riker in Conspiracy :lol

And yeah the Holodeck is often meh as an episode core.

The Klingon / Human ambassador Worf is boning was  :whoo tho.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:37:34 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1400 on: September 18, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »
The actress was also the Vulcan medic in that episode with the horny cybernetics guy that took over Data.

TNG The Survivors : "We're not qualified to judge galactic genocide perpetuated in spite" :what You are, you cannot realistically bring it to justice but that's not the same thing.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1401 on: September 18, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
Started watching some TNG again for the first time in a while, decided to start with season 3 since I just wanted to get right to the good stuff.

First episode is a "Wesley does something stupid and nearly gets everyone killed" episode. :beli
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1402 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
Started watching some TNG again for the first time in a while, decided to start with season 3 since I just wanted to get right to the good stuff.

First episode is a "Wesley does something stupid and nearly gets everyone killed" episode. :beli

Well it's ok because he admitted to it. And created a new lifeform. It's half the battle.

The PICARD ! The PICARD !
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1403 on: September 19, 2018, 06:05:39 AM »
I forgot to mention the ULTIMATE EVOLUTION OF MARTIAL ARTS : AIBO JITSU !
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1404 on: September 19, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »
Picard : The Prime Directive is one of the tenets of Starfleet with string philosophical and historic justification and every officer knows he might have to die to protect this solemn...
Data : Captain, I've been having clandestine radio contacts with an unknown entity allegedly from a non-spacefaring civilization, can we save them okthxbye ?
Picard : But the Prime Di...
Data : But she sounds so cute !
Picard :  :uguu
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1405 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
Yep, I was all "I don't get how trekkies keep wanting to bang aliens" till she showed up.

Suzie Plakson played the half-Klingon in TNG, a half-vulcan earlier than that, I think. Later, she was an Orion in Enterprise.

Super hot.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1406 on: September 19, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »
TNG The Price Guy just get creepy from the get go :kobeyuck
Personal space much ?

Edit : That's not proper Champagne glasses :rage

Edit : The infamous Crusher Troi fitness scene. Oh no. Oh noooo.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:37:10 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #1407 on: September 20, 2018, 12:54:37 AM »
Yep, I was all "I don't get how trekkies keep wanting to bang aliens" till she showed up.

Suzie Plakson played the half-Klingon in TNG, a half-vulcan earlier than that, I think. Later, she was an Orion in Enterprise.

Super hot.
She also finally got to keep her own face on Voyager, she's the Female Q.

Himu

« Reply #1408 on: September 20, 2018, 10:34:03 PM »
You will offend your animal guide
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1409 on: September 21, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
I’m warming up to Voyager :obama

Only real bad thing is Neelix and the repetition but when the crew talks and and has those Trek dialogue moments, it’s in its element.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1410 on: September 22, 2018, 05:48:48 AM »
Prime Directive doesn't stop Riker from fucking alien nurses  :whatsthedeal
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1411 on: September 22, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »
Geordie is bad at that stalking thing. He got off super easy too. Then so did Barkley.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1412 on: September 22, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Future people see stalking as the cute harmless crime it is. 

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1413 on: September 22, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
Fun Fact

Spoiler-ton

Geordi got with that lady he was jacking it too in the holo-suite.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1414 on: September 22, 2018, 11:56:04 AM »
Nothing is impossible if you're persistent enough !
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1415 on: September 22, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
To be fair, she calls him out and it seems innocent enough. People just assume he fucks the hologram but he doesn’t seem to use it for that purpose.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1416 on: September 22, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
I've seen it discussed a bit in the past but I like that TNG is basically an upgrade of the original series, including the self contained nature of episodes and the characters being locked down to their archetypes. I'm sure I'll like DS9 too when I'll get to it but the original premise works better with that formula. I think TOS in the end suffered a bit of relying entirely on just Kirk, McCoy and Spock; with the Vulcan getting plot convenient abilities every too often to the point of straining suspension of disbelief (I mean I'd crew Federation ships mostly with Vulcans considering just how superior they are). Making Data unique certainly alleviated that issue and having a broader base of characters (even if of varying quality) prevents it from getting too stale.

One thing I'll agree with an old message by Esch though : the Romulans could have been better (I'm mid season 4). They're still as tacky and paper thin as in TOS (minus the space centurions costumes) despite the enjoyable performances of Andreas Katsula. The Klingons are arguably not more original than in TOS but have a much stronger and distinctive visual identity than just "Yellow Peril". I liked what they did with Data's Day...

Playing with the similarity of Vulcans and Romulans
[close]

...but it was a subplot they wasted somewhat.

Otherwise even Troi and the Crushers get more palatable : weakest parts still but not as cringe inducing as the textbook masterpiece on how not to write a teenage character that was Season 1 (the most heinous bit being either Wesley anointed as a Jesus Ludwig van Einstein of propulsion or that sweater). I'll agree with Cindi it's a shame how poorly written the two lead females are. Beverley especially has no room besides being a MOM and PLATONIC LOVE INTEREST.

And fuck that 24th century France :lol
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1417 on: September 22, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »

Well it's ok because he admitted to it. And created a new lifeform. It's half the battle.

The PICARD ! The PICARD !

i gotta get more sleep. at first glance i thought this was a gif of Jordan Peterson transforming into an old Adam Driver

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1418 on: September 22, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »
To be fair, she calls him out and it seems innocent enough. People just assume he fucks the hologram but he doesn’t seem to use it for that purpose.

I mean, yeah, but it's still a little weird that he's flipping the table on her (calling her judgemental). Obviously he's more clumsy than creepy but still...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1419 on: September 22, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
Ryker boning Crusher under the pretense of being a host for a symbiote.

:ryker
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1420 on: September 22, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
Shocked I’m about to write this shit.

I am fucking loving Voyager. I put away all expectations about the premise and it’s just good ol Trek. And I love me some Trek.

I made a video of one of my favorite scenes so far. Not on YouTube because it got hit with a copyright alert.

https://vimeo.com/291309956

This scene just hits me in my right Trekkie spots.

Things I love:

- Janeway. She cares so fiercely for her crew. When anyone in injured she briskly walks to the sick bay. She cares about the crews lives and stuff and it’s refreshing after Kirk (he could care less about their lives because his men and women die like flies out in the frontier) or Picard (who is cold and doesn’t ask about how his crew is doing or anything). This is compounded with the fact that she’s a hellion in battle. I am really liking her.

- The crew. It gleans into the crews lives. These feel like actual people unlike the TNG crew. Like they’ll talk about their lives and circumstances during down time which is completely absent in TNG. For instance Torres and Harry talking about home and how for Torres, she never really had a relationship with her family so the Macquis aboardnthe ship function as that for her, so she’s not really homesick. Which is different than Harry who called his parents regularly even during academy. They’ll have scenes having small talk going over their love lives and it feels natural in terms of chemistry compared to TNG’s bad chemistry between the characters.

- classic Trek adventures. Self explanatory. It has an adventure feel of the TOS and I like it.

- The Doctor is as fantastic as I remember.

Only negatives so far are the lack of engaging their premise in a real, serialized manner and Neelix.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:57:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1421 on: September 22, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
Ah yes, Romulan Denise Crosby. Even out of the show, the character can't seem to escape RAPE.  ::)
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #1422 on: September 23, 2018, 02:55:08 AM »
- Janeway. She cares so fiercely for her crew. ...

It gleans into the crews lives. These feel like actual people unlike the TNG crew. ... They’ll have scenes having small talk going over their love lives and it feels natural in terms of chemistry compared to TNG’s bad chemistry between the characters. ...

- classic Trek adventures. Self explanatory. It has an adventure feel of the TOS and I like it.
oh dear

benjipwns

« Reply #1423 on: September 23, 2018, 02:58:09 AM »
Ah yes, Romulan Denise Crosby. Even out of the show, the character can't seem to escape RAPE.  ::)
I think they acknowledged this at the time because later the re-explanation is more consensual in its telling. :lol

When she shows up in the "semi-canon/post-DS9" novels that Paramount was overseeing, they retell it again as more consensual yet. And that she lived far longer than Sela has implied, she's really just lying to psyche out Picard.

Though they never get around that whole she's a prisoner thing.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1424 on: September 23, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
WTF is this Picard jacket in S5 ? :lol
Is the captain having a mid life crisis ?
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1425 on: September 23, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »
The jacket owns and how tf are you going through this so fast? Wtf. 5 seasons in a damn week.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1426 on: September 23, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
The jacket owns and how tf are you going through this so fast? Wtf. 5 seasons in a damn week.

I have some downtime for the week and my binge watching can get pretty wild.

I checked and I started watching at the very end of August. Still poor impulse control, I'll admit.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1427 on: September 23, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »
Did we need to see Frakes O-face ? And Sirtis speaking dirty about chocolate ?
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1428 on: September 23, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
That ep is amazing :lol

What’d you think of Darmok? Imo the best Trek ep I’ve seen
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1429 on: September 23, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1430 on: September 23, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
That ep is amazing :lol

What’d you think of Darmok? Imo the best Trek ep I’ve seen

Darmok is a bit goofy, in a good way. Not a lot of vocabulary to that language (but I understand you need to do it for the audience benefit). Picard and the Federation come off a bit dense, you'd think they would attempt some more basic level stuff. I like the theme, it's well intentioned and decently written (the Gilgamesh part is good) except for the usual weaknesses of the show (it often feels things get wrapped up or brushed aside a bit quick in the ending bits).

I didn't mind Worf (apart from the running gag of the super warrior getting tossed around in almost every fight) but I think they did well in making him a quixotic Klingon and writing in the epiphany he was honorable because of who he was instead of his race. Not a great dad tho. Apparently he's much less of a pushover prop in DS9 (to the demand of the actor).
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #1431 on: September 23, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
It's actually starting to annoy me that Mike's Galaxy pitch is likely going to be the complete opposite of what we'll actually get. :/

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1432 on: September 23, 2018, 08:16:45 PM »
So is Discovery good or what? Thinking about signing up for CBS All Access if it’s worth watching. :thinking
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1433 on: September 23, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
First two eps are blah, after that it finds its footing. Episode three should have been the pilot. After that it’s interesting, if flawed. I like its messages but it stumbles along the way. So I wouldn’t call it good yet but it’s certainly among the best first seasons in Star Trek, which doesn’t count for much but gives hope that it’s only up from there.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1434 on: September 23, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »
Also, the people who said they drop the Macquis vs Federation plotline lied. They’ve built up for multiple episodes Seska and willingness to be a rebel and her loyalty to the Macquis and it comes to a riveting end in State of Flux. VOY isn’t serialized but it’s a complete misrepresentation to say it drops storylines. Its crew and stories don’t exist in a vacuum like TNG’s and this is just the first season. ...

Voyager has done better with its side characters
really gonna need ya to slow ya roll here sis

Tasty

« Reply #1435 on: September 23, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »

When fanservice is used for good :american

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1436 on: September 23, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »
So is Discovery good or what? Thinking about signing up for CBS All Access if it’s worth watching. :thinking

It's pretty great. I enjoyed it a heap.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1437 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »
WTF is this Picard jacket in S5 ? :lol
Is the captain having a mid life crisis ?

That jacket rules. I'd buy one, as a balding crew leader, I'm entitled to one. But the only good replica is US$500.
:picard

Himu

« Reply #1438 on: September 24, 2018, 12:14:56 AM »
Voyagers first holodeck episode is better than every TNG holodeck episode.

Def shaping up to be “TNG but better.”
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:29:03 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1439 on: September 24, 2018, 09:07:41 AM »
Voyagers first holodeck episode is better than every TNG holodeck episode.

Def shaping up to be “TNG but better.”

Originally I was going to Like this for your enthusiasm, but then I worry about the Cindi going full-on into any new thing, and I want to encourage you to practice moderation.