Author Topic: BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR  (Read 42901 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
THIS RACER 5 IS SO FUCKING GOOD.

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
THIS RACER 5 IS SO FUCKING GOOD.

I really want to try Racer X, but missed the boat on the WA shipment.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
Honestly, it didn't bowl me over. Don't build it up too much in your head.

For IIPA, I like Firestone's Double Jack.

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2013, 11:29:05 PM »
Honestly, it didn't bowl me over. Don't build it up too much in your head.

Oh, I won't. I just like the name.  :D

For IIPA, I like Firestone's Double Jack.

Hop Venom, mang. Ooooohhhhhh yeeeeaaaah.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Addooded you, dude.

Untappd added a new badge for Racer X.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »
Unlocked 3 badges in Untappd last night; kind of feeling it today. Some tasty beers were had.

• Brew Crawl
  • I Believe in IPA (level 8; i know what i like)
  • Land of the Free (which everyone else here had immediately, but took me a couple weeks)

I had several Japanese craft beers; Ao Oni American Pale Ale, which I'd not been impressed with until last night, Swan Lake IPA, which was faboo, and Minamishinshuu IPA, which was like 7-Up and IPA mixed together -- not great. Steelhead Imperial IPA was nice; never had it before. Those were the high points of the evening.

Also had Leffe Blonde, Hoegaarden, and finished with a shot of Jagermeister because who needs clarity?

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2013, 01:21:08 AM »

Fun night with a couple buds. Pulled some stuff from the cellar/garage that I've been meaning to drink.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2014, 01:17:41 AM »
Yup yup.

Elysian has a new sour on tap at their brew pubs right now. Super tart 4% base with puréed peaches and dry hopped with Citra. Sooo good.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »
Yup yup.

Elysian has a new sour on tap at their brew pubs right now. Super tart 4% base with puréed peaches and dry hopped with Citra. Sooo good.

OMG, want that SO BADLY -- and this weekend Dig Beer Bar in Osaka has an Elysian tap takeover. WOOT. Maybe it'll be there?!

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »
I need to sort out the drinking situation in my new hood. Lots of pubs, a full throttle bottle shop out west in Georgetown. I drank a lot of beer last night at the Sounders game. Between the bullshit calls and the Sounders just not playing their best I was ready to buy some 8 dollar beers :/
o_0

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »
I need to sort out the drinking situation in my new hood. Lots of pubs, a full throttle bottle shop out west in Georgetown. I drank a lot of beer last night at the Sounders game. Between the bullshit calls and the Sounders just not playing their best I was ready to buy some 8 dollar beers :/

My brother! In Japan, all beers are $8.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not completely true: import craft beers in supermarkets are $8/12 oz. bottle, and just about any restaurant charges $8 for a standard sized draft beer.
[close]

MrAngryFace

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
That's some beer cost :(
o_0

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
Yeah, but I've been cooling my jets on going out, where craft beer US pints are $9~12, and instead enjoying a stream of American guests who have muled bombers for me (thanks again, MrGundam!) and making up the difference with Kirkland/Costco ¥180 beers, which are brewed by Gordon Biersch, so hey. It's not too bad.

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2014, 02:20:20 AM »
That's some beer cost :(

The Japanese government taxes the shit out of malt.

Now think about that when you consider how many Japanese craft beers I had while on vacation there. Thank the beer Gods for half pours in Japan.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2014, 03:37:40 AM »
I thank Beer God for one-off events which feature half-price or fixed-price menus. Kamikaze's 2nd anniversary party was great but less overwhelming than their 1st, but still managed to knock them out of stock for the next three days.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
Sunday I overdid the awamori at an Okinawan restaurant, so I've had three days off from hooch. Tonight I opened the bomber of Speakeasy's Double Daddy. That is some awesome brew. I must be a flak cannon, because I destroyed that bomber.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
I know its available EVERYWHERE in the USA, but Arrogant Bastard is ¥810 for 12 oz. and I've dropped as much as $25 for a bomber of it in a bar. Tonight, after a 5 hour, no lunch workday on a local farm, I killed another bomber that my friend dragged over for me. So. Good. 

« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
Yesterday was Seafair Saturday. For those non-Seattle people, Seafair is our yearly hyrdoplane race/Blue Angel airshow/general excuse for people to enjoy the weather and drink a lot. My friends live down in South Seattle so the Blue Angels fly right over their backyard. And they have AC which is nice on a 87 degree day.

Drank way too much good beer over the course of ten hours, but was surprisingly sober when we came home.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Long weekend. Went Kayaking on Saturday (followed by beer). Went to SeaFair to hang out with some friends- im not that into the whole thing but hanging out is hanging out. After that we spent some hours playing the game of thrones board game while drinking a lot.
o_0

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
Did you have to do a shot every time a Stark dies?

sarslip

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
I am decidedly about this life of which you speak.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:33:58 AM by sarslip »

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
You get banned from GAF or something? Random that you'd show up here.
野球

sarslip

« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »

nah, not banned

i dont think it's that random for me to show up on a thread about beer tho, haha, but the site in general, just has a lot of people i know from the GAF-hop community thread.   neogaf is getting boring for me with a couple obvious exceptions like beer and hiphop OTs.   gaming side threads are a lot of meaningless topics about BS.  or fanboy angst about minutia.  plus seems like free-speech is encouraged more here, less uptight if you will   :D 

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »

nah, not banned

i dont think it's that random for me to show up on a thread about beer tho, haha, but the site in general, just has a lot of people i know from the GAF-hop community thread.   neogaf is getting boring for me with a couple obvious exceptions like beer and hiphop OTs.   gaming side threads are a lot of meaningless topics about BS.  or fanboy angst about minutia.  plus seems like free-speech is encouraged more here, less uptight if you will   :D

Just stay out of the bitch about GAF thread. Seems like most newcomers can never move away from it.

Back to beer.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
I was so happy when the old GAF thread was retired, along with my updates on it. Now I know not to go into that thread. It's like some sub-clique of the band hall nerds that can't stand most of the other band hall nerds.

Anyway:
BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
I was so happy when the old GAF thread was retired, along with my updates on it. Now I know not to go into that thread. It's like some sub-clique of the band hall nerds that can't stand most of the other band hall nerds.

I said I wasn't gonna post in there, but I accidentally clicked and then they were talking about Macross so I thought it was the anime thread. Whoops.

Anyway:
BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR

BEER!!! Stopped at Fremont Brewing today after taking my daughter to the zoo. Had their IPA on cask with pineapple, fennel and a new experimental hop. Nice.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
Mad jelly. I've got Ruination and Karl Strauss Big Barrel on standby.

« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »
Oh yeah, what other beers did they have at Costco.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2014, 10:54:05 PM »
Oh yeah, what other beers did they have at Costco.

The beers I listed were hand-carried by a friend. CostCo has SHIT-ALL for beer: They have the lovely Kirkland selection, which I very much like, since it's REAL BEER but ¥150 a bottle, cheaper than everything except happoshuu or chuu-hai; they have Belgian Gold, which has been discredited by my least-discerning beer friend; and they have Asahi Super-Dry and a few variations of the macro brew happoshuu and alc-free drinks. Nothing interesting otherwise.

They have a HEAP of cheap-to-reasonable wines, of which I also availed myself -- but no good beer other than the Kirkland.

« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »

Mmmmmm......
野球

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
Yum!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
I had the Grapefruit Slam from that Stochastic line of beers. It was fabulous.

This month's GQ Japanese edition has about 1/3 of the articles dedicated to Japan's approach to the craft beer movement. Kirin is making their own line of craft beers. Suntory has already been putting some decent dunkels into stores, and more craft beer spots are opening in Osaka. Now I just have to earn some scratch to be able to avail myself of it as frequently as I'd like.  ;)

« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »

This month's GQ Japanese edition has about 1/3 of the articles dedicated to Japan's approach to the craft beer movement. Kirin is making their own line of craft beers. Suntory has already been putting some decent dunkels into stores, and more craft beer spots are opening in Osaka. Now I just have to earn some scratch to be able to avail myself of it as frequently as I'd like.  ;)

Say no to crafty beer.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:23 AM »

Say no to crafty beer.

Now that Gordon Biersch sub-label Kirkland brews at ¥150 are 15 minutes away by car, I suspect I will not need to. However, you had some crafty beers while you were here. Kirin Grand Aroma isn't bad by any means. Suntory's Bitter Aroma is nice. But considering they're both the same price as LEGIT GOOD Coedo Kyara, I don't frequently indulge their way.

« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
Those really aren't crafty. Crafty is stuff like Blue Moon. Made by the big guys but they do their best to hide it.
野球

JBFire

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
Those really aren't crafty. Crafty is stuff like Blue Moon. Made by the big guys but they do their best to hide it.

Very much enjoying the beers shown in this thread. I want to try so many to see what tastes good to me. My usual has actually always been Blue Moon.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2014, 01:42:51 AM »
Good news: Hop Rod Rye, Sculpin IPA, and Robijn Rood were all half off on close-out, so I picked up the entire stock. :hyper
Bad news: Even at half off, the six bottles were well over $20, the shelf-date is iffy, and it looks like the store's not going to carry Bear Republic any longer.  :'(

« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2014, 01:15:46 PM »
Good news: Hop Rod Rye, Sculpin IPA, and Robijn Rood were all half off on close-out, so I picked up the entire stock. :hyper
Bad news: Even at half off, the six bottles were well over $20, the shelf-date is iffy, and it looks like the store's not going to carry Bear Republic any longer.  :'(

:(

Any local craft options available?

Also, if you ever see Modern Times cans, pick them up. Great beer from San Diego.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
I don't hate many beers, but New Belgium's Snapshot is gross
o_0

« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Duchesse de Bourgone is GROSS. Tastes like bile.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »
Gundam did you pick up any Founder's or Bell while in Michigan?

« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Gundam did you pick up any Founder's or Bell while in Michigan?

Yep. Brought home bottles of Devil Dancer, The Oracle and Double Crooked Tree. Had lots of Shorts, Dark Horse, Bells and Founders on tap and bottle.

Went to Ashley's, Fraser Pub and Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor. Chelsea Brewery in Chelsea and Kuhnhenn in Warren.

:bow KUHNHENN :bow2
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
Any local craft options available?

Local. Craft. Not yet. There are heaps and heaps of craft breweries now joining the throng of Japanese craft brewers, and that's truly exciting. The Craft Beer Live event I went to earlier this year showed how many people are getting into beer which isn't an adjunct lager from a macrobrewery. I may have also mentioned that August's GQ Japan had about half its bulk devoted to covering the scene. It's really taking off.

However, many of the local options have still been pretty poor. I'd say the local efforts, sadly, are not only expensive (¥600~700 per 12 oz.) about on par with recent "crafty" efforts by the actually-local Suntory brewery. Most of the good craft stuff is coming from further away.

Duchesse de Bourgone is GROSS. Tastes like bile.
Ooh, thanks for warning me off that. I've seen it at the local super and been curious a few times, but hadn't yet tried it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Went out to Craft Beer Base tonight and threw back everything they had on tap. Also brought home a few bottles of Lagunitas and made new friends.

WOOT!

etiolate

« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »
Sorry to casual up your thread, but it's pumpkin beer season and New Belgium's Pumpkick ain't so bad. Tastes a bit like pumpkin pie filling without being sweet. 6% ABV so it's not a watered down 6 pack.

« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
Sorry to casual up your thread, but it's pumpkin beer season and New Belgium's Pumpkick ain't so bad. Tastes a bit like pumpkin pie filling without being sweet. 6% ABV so it's not a watered down 6 pack.

No casualing it up. We welcome all interested in beer.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
Plus, New Belgium is legit from any angle, isn't it? ISN'T IT?

DO NOT DESTROY MY FAITH.

« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
They're legit. I tend not to drink the standard New Belgum lineup much, but their Lips of Faith stuff is killer.

New local pickups yesterday. The Black Raven/Stone collab is distributed through BR, so probably not available outside the Seattle metro area.
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
Ah the craft beer phase. Been through it. Don't worry guys the domestics will be waiting for you when you stop pretending you're drinking for taste. And if you do drink for taste....sit across the bar from me...god I hate beer snobs.

:hitler
YMMV

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
That attitude is just as annoying, breh.

I do drink for taste and also to support local breweries. Most of the big adjunct lagers have way too much of that sweet corn flavor. And go ahead and drink what you like, I don't care. Doesn't bother me one bit.
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »

I do drink for taste. Most of the big adjunct lagers have way too much of that sweet corn flavor. And go ahead and drink what you like, I don't care. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Sorry we really do need a sarcasm font.

YMMV

« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »

I do drink for taste. Most of the big adjunct lagers have way too much of that sweet corn flavor. And go ahead and drink what you like, I don't care. Doesn't bother me one bit.

MJ wasn't there when I saw it. I figured my use of "breh" would help imply that I wasn't taking it too serious.
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »

MJ wasn't there when I saw it. I figured my use of "breh" would help imply that I wasn't taking it too serious.

I prefer and have always preferred Hop Bomber (unsure if it's available out of Ohio or not) and good old Great Lakes Dortmunder.

YMMV

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
I've had a couple Great Lakes beers when back in DC or the midwest. Commodore Perry, Edmund Fitzgerald. I know that's their standard lineup stuff.
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
I've had a couple Great Lakes beers when back in DC or the midwest. Commodore Perry, Edmund Fitzgerald. I know that's their standard lineup stuff.

I'm pretty good friends with the owner. He gives me kegs for high fives (return the barrel)....great guy, good beer.

If you can get a hold of his christmas ale, do so. But watch it 4 will put any man on his ass.
YMMV

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
No distribution out here and I'm not interested in trading, but I'll keep it in mind when I'm somewhere that gets their stuff.
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
No distribution out here and I'm not interested in trading, but I'll keep it in mind when I'm somewhere that gets their stuff.

We distribute our award-winning lagers and ales in the following states/regions:

Indiana

Illinois

Kentucky

Michigan

Minnesota

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

Virginia

Washington D.C.

West Virginia

Wisconsin

YMMV

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »
So I mentioned finding a mess of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye. This runs $8 a bottle in the local import/craft beer section. I came home and my MIL who really only likes local (Japanese) macros had opened one and was drinking it. "I didn't know which ones were safe," she said.

I'm thinking, Well, the ones with a price take that says half off and is still twice the price of the beers you like is probably not a safe place to start.

I love my mother-in-law, she's wonderful, but she sure manages to destroy my private reserve WHILE complaining about how bitter it all is. :lol

:lol

Yeah, sarcasm in text is always an iffy proposition.