Author Topic: BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR  (Read 43632 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Re: BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
Headed to Cabo San Lucas in the morning for a few days. Staying at an all-inclusive resort so much Tecate and Tecate Light will be consumed, but there are actually two craft breweries in town: Baja Brewing and Ramuri. I've had a bunch from Baja before and they're not great, but I've heard really good things abotu Ramuri before.

Also stoked for some more Dos Equis Radlers. Aw yeah.
野球

sarslip

« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »
Dos Equis Lager > Dos Equis Amber

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
Headed to Cabo San Lucas in the morning for a few days. Staying at an all-inclusive resort so much Tecate and Tecate Light will be consumed, but there are actually two craft breweries in town: Baja Brewing and Ramuri. I've had a bunch from Baja before and they're not great, but I've heard really good things abotu Ramuri before.

Also stoked for some more Dos Equis Radlers. Aw yeah.

Dos Equis Radlers: the sangria of Mexico.

sarslip

« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
it sounds awesome, im not big on sangria so this would work for me, i try to apply vacation rules like; carribean, i drink rum drinks, mexico = beer radlers apparently, france for wine etc....

if i ever did make it to japan, i'd go crazy on scotch and bourbon most likely, combined with the amount of ramen i'd consume i probably wouldnt it make it back alive

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
Went to the recently opened CostCo, grabbed another crate of their Gordon Biersch brewed KIRKLAND Craft Beer and Ales set. It’s twice as much as it is in the USA, but still the best Japanese buy for tasty beer at ¥180/bottle.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »

sarslip

« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-beer-snob-1743

"My house once burned down because when the fire started, instead of calling 911, I sent the fire department an email from my burning kitchen that said, “The difference between lagers and ales lies in the types of yeast used in the brewing process and in the temperatures at which the respective beers are distilled.”"

« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
Toronto's Bellwoods Brewery  :rejoice

« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/goodbeerhunting/status/558714823740227586

Stay salty, stay cunty.
That's sad. Lagunitas is one of my favorite breweries, but it sounds like the guy has a bad attitude.

I'm not stoked to think of Elysian being bought by the biggest macro-brewer in the country; it will almost certainly signal changes in their competent line-up. But bringing bedroom politics into the whining isn't as progressive an attitude as I'd like to see from my NoCal brewer.

« Reply #251 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
Our store got a whole line of Prairie Ales:

Pirate Bomb
Prairie Ale
Prairie Hop
Birra
Standard
Wine Barrel Noir
Fred's Blend (this sounds good)

Already got the Pirate Bomb and the Prairie Hop, any of the others worth a slice of my limited budget?

Edit: Just checked RateBeer. Goddamn, those ratings across the board...

« Reply #252 on: January 24, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Prairie is good. Expensive, but good. Haven't had a bad beer from them.

I've got Prairie Ale, Birra and Funky Gold Amarillo in my fridge right now.
野球

« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
I'm mostly wondering about Standard and Fred's Blend.

Can Standard hold a candle to Prairie Hop? Cause it kinda sounds like I'd get a smaller bottle of a lower ABV beer for the same price.

And is Fred's Blend different enough from Pirate Bomb to be worth buying?

Prairie Hop was really great. That's the kind of beer I'd absolutely love to have around everyday for a reasonable price. German breweries are starting to do hoppy saisons, but it's not quite on the same level yet.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:19 PM »
Local super got a new line of Japanese “craft” beers in. I peeked at Untappd to see if I should pay the ¥350-400/can for them. Nothing but flat 3-star ratings for the lot of them. Pilsners and Ambers only. May have been a Kolsch in there as well. No styles I like. NO THANKS.

Going back to Kirkland and Coedo, sadly.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »
Forgot to mention, the other store which carries import beer and sometimes Yo-Ho and Coedo, had a separate display of “CRAFT BEER” recently. It was exclusively imported beer, but almost all of it Euro macrobrewery stuff. Duchess du Bourgogne and a couple crap Spanish pilsners I can’t remember.

I wanted to box someone’s ears.

« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
I had a couple Minoh beers. I love the W-IPA, but something in it gives me a hangover. I only had one, and the next morning was oddly foggy, and I had a headache. Also on deck was their Imperial Stout which was pretty damned great. I need more of it, though at $5/bottle, it’s a little pricy for my current income level.

Apparently AB wants Cigar City next...

http://beerstreetjournal.com/anheuser-busch-sets-sights-cigar-city/

Which of their beers will they insult during the next Super Bowl?

« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
What's the general opinion of Shelton Brothers? Their brewery lineup seems crazy, but it always sounds like they're kinda shady?

And are there any knocks on Garrett Oliver? All I've ever read/seen by and about him is awesome. His encyclopedia is fucking amazing.

« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
Got to try some Pliny the Elder. Awww yisss

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Got to try some Pliny the Elder. Awww yisss
Mr Gundam had some on standby when I visited Seattle in November. It’s even harder to find in WA, so I was touched by this rape-dumpster-free means of winning my affection. It is indeed a tasty brew.

« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2015, 05:41:28 PM »
Sarslip, I saw you calling Jaipur "underrated".

Isn't it really hyped? At least among the British expats over here it is...

Good stuff though.

sarslip

« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
total shelf turd here.  :-\   people just want the new american craft IPA hotness

tbh no British stuff is sought after here in the northeast, usually it's found on shelves with the German stuff which also get neglected.

« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2015, 07:19:26 PM »
That's a bummer. It's a really great beer. Lots of good British IPAs these days, and they tend to arrive at least a little bit fresher than their American brethren over here.
Beavertown is great too, and has the best labels.

Is BrewDog a known name at all over there?

Also, the IPA craze is really... crazy

"But within that category, retail sales of craft IPAs are climbing fast: In 2014, when craft beer sales were up 17.6% by volume—compared to the overall beer market’s 0.5% growth—craft IPA sales exploded at 45-50% growth, says Bart Watson, chief economist at the Brewers Association."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2015, 04:52:39 PM »
Yeah, there’s stuff earlier in the thread about people who bitch about IPA/hoppy beers “ruining” the scene, all the while neglecting that they have four times more beer of all other styles available to them, even if there are 16 times more IPAs available. Drives me batshit. STOP WHINING, YOU ALREADY HAVE MORE.

I’ve been living La Vida Cerveza since arriving stateside. I was having some beers while staying at my Mom’s place in Idaho, but now that I’m in California, I’ve hit the Karl Strauss tap house, and even had a great afternoon at Stone Brewery yesterday. I tried their new recipes for the Pale Ale, IPA, and Smoked Porter (might not have been new, but it was new to me).

I need to pick up some weird stuff to drag back to Japan and have on standby for the craft beer nerds in Osaka.

« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »
Boneyard did a collab White IPA with Beavertown that I had down in Bend this weekend good stuff.

Also got to visit Ale Apothecary which is out in the Deschutes National Forest. They're not typically opened to the public, but I managed to attend an open house for about 30 people. Absolutely incredible.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:03:56 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:20 AM »
Had Modern Times Lomaland, Clown Shoes Undead Party Crasher, and Green Flash IIPA.

ALL LOCAL.

ALL MAGNIFICENT.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »

I've been sick for 10 days, so yesterday was my first beer in a week-and-a-half. Oddly enough, the LAWSON store down the road from a client has beers our LAWSONs don't have, so I was able to try Boku Beer, Kimi Beer for the first time. It's a hoppy saison, very dry, very tasty, and no more expensive than the local macro brews.

« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
There's a debate on the reputation of American beer in Europe on GAF and I just banned myself.

D'oh.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
Friend from USA is in Japan, interviewing for a job. Ended up hitting two craft places last night. It was all super great last night,  this morning my head is telling me I overdid it a little.

:yuck

Found Minoh's new Harakiri X IPA to be absolutely great. Better than their W-IPA.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
Dogfish Head is back in Nashville :rejoice
püp

« Reply #271 on: July 15, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »
Friend from USA is in Japan, interviewing for a job. Ended up hitting two craft places last night. It was all super great last night,  this morning my head is telling me I overdid it a little.

:yuck

Found Minoh's new Harakiri X IPA to be absolutely great. Better than their W-IPA.

Love Minoh. That's awesome.
野球

« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »

You do you, Alaska

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »
I had Kona's Castaway IPA the other day, it was pretty great.

archnemesis

« Reply #274 on: July 19, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
I received a bottle of Westvleteren 12. Let's see if it's as good as people claim.

« Reply #275 on: July 19, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
I received a bottle of Westvleteren 12. Let's see if it's as good as people claim.

It's good, but lower your expectations.
野球

nudemacusers

« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »
Oregon stay losing :heh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »

It's good, but lower your expectations.

Did you try the Boku Beer, Kimi Beer saison while you were over here? It's a new favorite for me!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
Had Knee Deep's Hoparillo, a "triple IPA" tonight. 11%+ so it's basically a thick as hell IPA. Felt like I was drinking the IPA equivalent of a barleywine. Really nice. Saving half the bomber for tomorrow.

« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
IPAs WOAT confirmed:

Not many people know this, but those hops in your favorite IPA are actually wonderful medicine for insomnia and menopause, thanks to their high phytoestrogen content. These same phytoestrogens, however, might be less desirable for men, as indicated by the common condition known among brewers as Brewer’s Droop.

Yes, you read that right: Hops are giving men man boobs.

In the book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers, herbalist Stephen Herrod Buhner describes the three standard uses of hops in herbal medicine: as a sleep inducer; as a diuretic that successfully promotes urine flow; and finally, as a natural source of phytoestrogen to treat menopause and endometriosis. The herbalist Susan Weed also refers to hops as a nutritive painkiller, a sleep-inducing herb, and as an effective supplement to boost milk production in lactating women.

http://munchies.vice.com/articles/ipas-are-giving-you-man-boobs

archnemesis

« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2015, 01:17:25 AM »

I really enjoyed Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2015. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a try before they are gone.

Soy is also high in phytoestrogen. It's typically not an issue for people with normal consumption.

« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
That's a different topic altogether but at least in the United States, soy is in nearly all processed foods. Between that and overhopped American craft beer it's no wonder the dadbod reigns supreme.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #282 on: November 11, 2015, 04:12:08 AM »
So it finally happened : AB Inbev is buying SAB Miller for 112 billion euros.

Hail our new fermentation overlords.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
So it finally happened : AB Inbev is buying SAB Miller for 112 billion euros.

Hail our new fermentation overlords.

Anheuser Busch buys Miller, and no1curr. No-one will notice a change in the taste of beer. AB bought 10-Barrel, and everyone curr.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #284 on: November 12, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
There has been speculation that Inbev is using US breweries to make Becks and other beers and still charging the import price.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trouble-brews-for-imported-beers-madein-america-1435188835
©ZH

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #285 on: November 12, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
I guess that's deceptive, but terroir isn't really a thing with beer.

I also hope that no one buys a macrobrew because it's "authentic"

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #286 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
Terroir is sort of a thing with some German beers (Kolsch) or Trappist but yeah...
ὕβρις

« Reply #287 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
If you get stuck behind the paywall for that link just Google the article name and click through.

« Reply #288 on: November 12, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
Terroir is totally a thing with Lambics and other open fermentation beers.

Not Becks, though.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #289 on: November 17, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »
I had a Brewdog Punk IPA and it wasn't bad.

Sorry Chrono.

archnemesis

« Reply #290 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:19 AM »
Punk is alright. I never buy it myself but I will happily drink one if I find it in the office beer fridge.

« Reply #291 on: November 17, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »
I had a Brewdog Punk IPA and it wasn't bad.

Sorry Chrono.

I had Punk a couple times in Spain this Summer. It was better than I remember it being.

I also had their Vote for Sepp beer at a bottle shop in Malaga. Great artwork, meh beer.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #292 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
It's been pointed out to me that it may have been an old beer, or even infected, though that's less likely.

It just tasted like soap to me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2015, 11:31:28 PM »
Suntory, the macro which happens to be nearest to where I live, has been producing "crafty beers" all year long. They've been half-measures against competence, but I've tried every one which came out. Finally on 12/15 they launched an American IPA, which I just had.

It's as uninspired as anything else in their line-up.

I'm going out tonight to meet a new friend to talk about RPGs over actual craft beers.

I WILL FEEL LIKE THIS DOGGY!

« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
Suntory, the macro which happens to be nearest to where I live, has been producing "crafty beers" all year long. They've been half-measures against competence, but I've tried every one which came out. Finally on 12/15 they launched an American IPA, which I just had.

It's as uninspired as anything else in their line-up.

And I want to try them.

I'm going out tonight to meet a new friend to talk about RPGs over actual craft beers.

I WILL FEEL LIKE THIS DOGGY!
(Image removed from quote.)

CHRONO GOT SOME SERIOUS BEER ON LAST NIGHT.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
CHRONO IS FEELING IT TODAY.

It was worth it. So much good beer last night, and ended up having some great discussion with a like-minded RPG'er. Epic fun.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2016, 02:12:01 AM »
Went through 22 oz of a 32 oz growler of Lagunitas' Bitter Oats. This is pretty damned amazing beer.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
During my stay in the USA in January and February, that was probably my favorite beer of the bunch. The place I bought it had it mislabeled as a blonde ale, Untappd lists it as a Imperial IPA. Apparently it's got a wheat base?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2016, 12:30:11 AM »

Going to try and find this in I-de-ho when I'm there next week.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:58 AM »
"Sliding the buttery caramel snake into the bunghole."
"Virgin bunghole"
"Punch them in the taint."

:rofl

Christ, I had no idea who Aisha is, but now I have a beer-crush on her.