Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2375110 times)

Syph

Re: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE
« Reply #22620 on: November 09, 2016, 02:42:10 AM »
It's over. Time to Make America Great Again  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's president pence
[close]
XO

Dennis

« Reply #22621 on: November 09, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »

El Babua

« Reply #22622 on: November 09, 2016, 02:42:24 AM »
Also reading about low turnout. Lowest since 2000 in fact holy shit.
what????

https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/796248995135897600
everyone else was saying it's historic turnout

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/796253109571948544

looks like theres a lot of noise going on right now. If anything, Hillary way under performed in traditionally Democratic states.

Syph

« Reply #22623 on: November 09, 2016, 02:43:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/796253109571948544

looks like theres a lot of noise going on right now. If anything, Hillary way under performed in traditionally Democratic states.
oh, now that I believe, but as far as the country as a whole, im pretty sure even anectodately turnout is up
XO

Nola

« Reply #22624 on: November 09, 2016, 02:44:13 AM »
In general though I didn't care for Bernie personally because like Trump I felt he just said stuff people wanted to hear and didn't actually have plans on how to do any of it.  I wanted someone who could get stuff done in a smart efficient pipeline way and progress America left. 

Now I get to see someone get stuff done because he has zero opposition anywhere!  :(

Bernie is just an idealist that utilized populist tactics, Trump is just a highly unqualified demagogue.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22625 on: November 09, 2016, 02:44:40 AM »
Ok it is starting to look like she under performed with democrats while Trump brought out his base. The Sanders chatter is gonna be loud as fuck. Sigh.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22626 on: November 09, 2016, 02:44:55 AM »
speech

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22627 on: November 09, 2016, 02:45:20 AM »
remember that time John Podesta came out to the Hillary rally and said they wouldn't be making any statement so everyone should go home?

benjipwns

« Reply #22628 on: November 09, 2016, 02:46:45 AM »
Mike Pence looks too weird to be President.

Syph

« Reply #22629 on: November 09, 2016, 02:47:42 AM »
XO

Syph

« Reply #22630 on: November 09, 2016, 02:48:11 AM »
remember that time John Podesta came out to the Hillary rally and said they wouldn't be making any statement so everyone should go home?
she didnt have the temperament to concede
XO

Nola

« Reply #22631 on: November 09, 2016, 02:49:38 AM »
Ok it is starting to look like she under performed with democrats while Trump brought out his base. The Sanders chatter is gonna be loud as fuck. Sigh.

Yeah thats what it has been looking like.

Trump over-performed in his counties and strongholds while Hillary either under-performed or just garnered normal turnout.

She didn't seemingly flip moderates like many speculated. She under-performed with some key demographics in some states.

Syph

« Reply #22632 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:03 AM »
im crying
jk USA USA USA USA
XO

Dennis

« Reply #22633 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:42 AM »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #22634 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:44 AM »
It really does feel like we're in an alternate timeline.  Watching this Trump speech feels like an out of body experience. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #22635 on: November 09, 2016, 02:51:46 AM »
Guess on the plus side, the Clinton foundation doesn't have to shut down or whatever

Vertigo

« Reply #22636 on: November 09, 2016, 02:53:42 AM »

They were done as soon as he stepped out, they couldn't sell it.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #22637 on: November 09, 2016, 02:55:15 AM »
Mike Pence looks too weird to be President.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22638 on: November 09, 2016, 02:55:29 AM »
In general though I didn't care for Bernie personally because like Trump I felt he just said stuff people wanted to hear and didn't actually have plans on how to do any of it.  I wanted someone who could get stuff done in a smart efficient pipeline way and progress America left. 

Now I get to see someone get stuff done because he has zero opposition anywhere!  :(

Because the Democratic Party has punted on doing anything to make inroads in America's periphery for decades now (inching socially conservative--for example selecting Tim Kaine as your vice presidential nominee--doesn't help with that since people who lean that way can just vote Republican for that same great Gilead taste) no such candidate exists because they would not have legislative or state support in any meaningful way.

benjipwns

« Reply #22639 on: November 09, 2016, 02:56:01 AM »
Maybe he'll appoint Ivanka to the Supreme Court :drool

Himu

« Reply #22640 on: November 09, 2016, 02:57:11 AM »
I'm laying in bed crying.

I just read this.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-pence-transgender-students-aa32ee93cdb7#.s5twef6ef

We worked so hard for bread crumbs worth of progress and this is what we're going to get.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22641 on: November 09, 2016, 03:00:22 AM »
Chris christie got a shout out so proud haha this is tv gold

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22642 on: November 09, 2016, 03:01:39 AM »
God this is a list of losers. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #22643 on: November 09, 2016, 03:03:56 AM »
ben carson, where is ben

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:snore
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #22644 on: November 09, 2016, 03:06:24 AM »
pence and trump are not friends are they, kind of wish christie was vice president he's funny

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22645 on: November 09, 2016, 03:07:18 AM »
are they really playing 'you can't always get what you want'?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22646 on: November 09, 2016, 03:08:49 AM »
Gonna go to bed.  You American's ought to be ashamed of yourselves, you totally ruined my day. 

Dennis

« Reply #22647 on: November 09, 2016, 03:14:11 AM »
There will likely be reams of data coming in during the next few weeks and just what really happened today. However, one thing stood out above all else from the presidential exit polls:

http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

29% of Latinos overall supported Trump, that is 2% higher than Mitt Romney's number 4 years ago

8% of Blacks overall supported Trump, that is also 2% higher than Mitt Romney's number 4 years ago

29% Asians supported Trump as well, higher than expected

53% of White Women supported Trump, even AFTER the Access Hollywood tapes and allegations of probable molestations

The die is cast. Trump won because the demographics most ostensibly hostile to him in theory, were not in reality

That is unexpected to say the least.

benjipwns

« Reply #22648 on: November 09, 2016, 03:20:37 AM »
Here’s how the firm Latino Decisions found the Latino vote broke out by state, for Clinton and Trump.

Arizona — 84-12
California — 80-16
Colorado — 81-16
Florida — 67-31
Illinois — 86-10
Nevada — 81-16
North Carolina — 82-15
New York — 88-10
Ohio — 80-17
Texas — 80-16
Virginia — 81-15
Wisconsin — 87-10

Dennis

« Reply #22649 on: November 09, 2016, 03:22:07 AM »
Florida is Cubans, right?

Sausage

« Reply #22650 on: November 09, 2016, 03:22:43 AM »
At least the fucking Clintons don't have control over the DNC anymore.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #22652 on: November 09, 2016, 03:32:49 AM »

ChristineChan is going to get a visit...

Boredfrom

« Reply #22653 on: November 09, 2016, 03:34:39 AM »
There will likely be reams of data coming in during the next few weeks and just what really happened today. However, one thing stood out above all else from the presidential exit polls:

29% of Latinos overall supported Trump, that is 2% higher than Mitt Romney's number 4 years ago

8% of Blacks overall supported Trump, that is also 2% higher than Mitt Romney's number 4 years ago

53% of White Women supported Trump, even AFTER the Access Hollywood tapes and allegations of probable molestations

The die is cast. Trump won because the demographics most ostensibly hostile to him in theory, were not in reality

Well, at least this is going to encourege a lot of self reflection. Is going to be some weird 4 years.

Vertigo

« Reply #22654 on: November 09, 2016, 03:39:41 AM »
pence and trump are not friends are they, kind of wish christie was vice president he's funny

Well Pence tried to screw him when it looked like the Pussy grabbing story was taking hold.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #22655 on: November 09, 2016, 04:48:11 AM »
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22656 on: November 09, 2016, 05:01:15 AM »
Well, damn, it really happened. I was worried Trump was gonna be competitive and following patterns of European far right (inexact polling underestimating numbers included) but I certainly didn't expect it to be to that extent.

The worst thing is that this election actually vindicates the worst : The GOP were actually electorally correct to pursue further right than to go back to the center. It was thought that this election would signify the end of the road and that the "normal" GOP would have to make a clean break to avoid demographical doom. Turns out this model has actually a lot of reserves yet and that the whole RINO schtick was true, better some hackjob pushing buttons than the now mythical "Good centrist republican". And that, shock, voters are actually more motivated by promises (however twisted) of jobs and protection for them rather than tax cuts for "job creators" and the upper tier.

It proves that money and "scientific & data driven" tools are not the end all be all (though in absolute not a problem, but this time round it's not really "quality" winning over "quantity"...).

It proves without a doubt that mainstream media, pollsters, analysts and a lot of urban voters do in fact live in a bubble and were totally unable to really have a finger on the pulse of large part of the country, despite being aware of the potential issue (and their best efforts to take it into account). That the divide between the establishment and some of the population is very stark, with perceptions almost foreign from one another (Clinton probably did not "win" the debates for a lot of voters...).

There's no way out of this as long as the establishment left is refusing to challenge the decade long dogma that there is no alternative free trade and global markets and that glorious economic liberalism (with no attached commitment to social rights or ecology, too) will ultimately smooth everything over for everyone (those decent labor laws will ultimately come to China and Bangladesh, in two centuries or so !).

EDIT : Hindsight is that there was some massive complacency to the point of borderline delusion from the Clinton camp. "Republican women are totally gonna secretly vote massively for Hillary guys !"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:46:26 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

daemon

« Reply #22657 on: November 09, 2016, 05:46:46 AM »

It is kinda unexpected, but to be fair, that segregation by is how democrats see the population, while that 29% of latinos, 8% of blacks, 29% of asians see themselves as americans. A single group. They don't see themselves as something that needs to be preserved due to their origin of birth or genes, they're now part of the nation, and if any american gets a new opportunity, they do too. As long as they're legal of course.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22659 on: November 09, 2016, 06:49:24 AM »
Sigh :goty

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #22660 on: November 09, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »
https://m.

Maybe if y'all practiced more and preached a little less this shit wouldn't have happened.
YMMV

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22661 on: November 09, 2016, 07:37:27 AM »
Trump already fulfilling his promises : I am tired of him winning so much.
ὕβρις

Trurl

« Reply #22662 on: November 09, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »
Will Hillary leave the country before Trump is inaugurated?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #22663 on: November 09, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »

If I were them I'd definitely GTFO. Their pay for play is going to be looked at way worse now that she has nothing to offer the party.
YMMV

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22664 on: November 09, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »

If I were them I'd definitely GTFO. Their pay for play is going to be looked at way worse now that she has nothing to offer the party.

I'd attend a luau tonight if the main course was Debbie Wassermann Schultz.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #22665 on: November 09, 2016, 07:53:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/796192757836554240

Being able to predict a UK Prime Minister fucked a pig and now a Cartoon character got into office  :brazilcry

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #22666 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:55 AM »
I thinkbig there is one thing positive about this whole thing it's that it will be nice to how millenials take their L's. So far, so shitty. I mean one new guy is blaming Steve Youngblood's moderation style for the election already :lawd
YMMV

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22667 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:56 AM »

I'm curious if Trump will really follow up on the whole "Lock her up" bullshit with some petty lawsuits. I'm convinced he's in this, moreso than your usual politician, to service his ego and line his pockets and that it's not in his interest to shake down the whole establishment to do so or to tear the whole country apart... but really, who can tell with him ? And he must keep at all costs some veneer of being the outsider, the maverick. And to do so he must give bones to his base.

I guess you could extend the question to most of the crazy policies he spouted about : I certainly expect a lot more fences along the southern border, more stringent immigration laws, more deportations but not the full blown million wide "Operation Wetback and Radical Moozlims II". Or so I hope.
ὕβρις

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #22668 on: November 09, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »

I'm curious if Trump will really follow up on the whole "Lock her up" bullshit with some petty lawsuits. I'm convinced he's in this, moreso than your usual politician, to service his ego and line his pockets and that it's not in his interest to shake down the whole establishment to do so or to tear the whole country apart... but really, who can tell with him ? And he must keep at all costs some veneer of being the outsider, the maverick. And to do so he must give bones to his base.

I guess you could extend the question to most of the crazy policies he spouted about : I certainly expect a lot more fences along the southern border, more stringent immigration laws, more deportations but not the full blown million wide "Operation Wetback and Radical Moozlims II". Or so I hope.

Are you kidding me? You libtards will be glad to push Clinton into a fire now, lol.
YMMV

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22669 on: November 09, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
I am not an American, I couldn't care less about the Clintons, by all means if there's actual wrong doing suspected please bring it out to your courts for a fair trial. A Trump presidency actively pursuing a defeated opponent to "lock her up" (or to riff on another favorite Trump theme : actively trying to prove Obama is a secret muslim with a fake US birth certificate) wouldn't however look very good and send the least promising signal on respecting the core tenants of a liberal democracy (Trump has said several times he was in favor of much more stringent libel/slander laws too : not unacceptable by democratic standards but not exactly conductive to freedom of speech and press either). Plus, as I said, I have my doubts Trump will really be the one to tear down "oligarchs" but may be wrong : Putin did exactly just that, with some ambivalence with how much of it was justified and of much was silencing opponents.
ὕβρις

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22670 on: November 09, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
Maybe a wall isn't such a bad idea. We need the stimulus spending, construction jobs, etc.

Oh god.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #22671 on: November 09, 2016, 08:24:24 AM »
Europe markets already on a bounce back from the morning fall and Asian markets made a recovery till close after a fall. All eyes on the US Markets as if they depress further it's going to be Brexit on steroids.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22672 on: November 09, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to the reboot of Olympus Has Fallen, where we all root for the subverted Secret Service Agent and his elite cadre of Korean fighters.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22673 on: November 09, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
Maybe a wall isn't such a bad idea. We need the stimulus spending, construction jobs, etc.

Oh god.

I'm already investing in Russian construction companies.

side note: Can't believe it's 12 hours later and they haven't even officially called Minnesota yet. What a failure for Clinton.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:31:35 AM by ToxicAdam »

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #22674 on: November 09, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »

:dead

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #22675 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
Yeah shit sucks. What can you say. You could see the handwriting on the wall last night which is why I went to bed. I felt like shit.
It's gonna be a hard thing to deal with for the next 4 to 8 eight years. And the implications are quite scary on many levels.
There is a lot of analysis that will be done but I'm not in the mood for it at the moment. Just want to wallow in the despair for a couple of days.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22676 on: November 09, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
Don't know if it'll hold up over the next couple of weeks, but Hillary currently has a narrow lead in the popular vote.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22677 on: November 09, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »
Don't know if it'll hold up over the next couple of weeks, but Hillary currently has a narrow lead in the popular vote.

Doesn't really change anything though ?
She also could have won with a mere 100k or so more votes in MI, WI and PA. I guess studies will tell soon enough, but a lot of those Trump votes up there probably came from people with solid records as blue voters in the past...

EDIT : Or maybe with higher turnouts elsewhere too :yeshrug still the fact remains that the "most advanced data driven campaign in history" either failed to secure their base or couldn't identify massive weaknesses.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:57:44 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #22678 on: November 09, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
AiA is right (and was about a lot of other shit):

dems need to burn down the party establishment that brought this about.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/11/the_democratic_party_establishment_is_finished_after_trump.html
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #22679 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:22 AM »
Well if Newt's involved maybe we'll get a consolation moon base