Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2375030 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE
« Reply #22740 on: November 09, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
My son asked me what would happen to us, "because we're latino" and my daughter was crying because she's worried that she wont be able to marry the person she wants.  Thanks America.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22741 on: November 09, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
my daughter was crying because she's worried that she wont be able to marry the person she wants.  Thanks America.

:(
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22742 on: November 09, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
concession speech, Speaker of the House, then the president in an hour

When's the Speaker of House's concession speech?

right now

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #22743 on: November 09, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
Sure didn't take long for DJIA to bounce back from the after-hours estimates.
rub

daemon

« Reply #22744 on: November 09, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
GAF - did we just completely ignore how unlikeable Hillary was in the US?

Well, everyone who said anything negative about her was banned, so theres that

+9001

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #22745 on: November 09, 2016, 11:26:28 AM »
My son asked me what would happen to us, "because we're latino" and my daughter was crying because she's worried that she wont be able to marry the person she wants.  Thanks America.

I wonder if sales of passport holders will go up. Dont go to the pharmacy without it.
:O

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #22746 on: November 09, 2016, 11:29:52 AM »
Was doing alright at containing my rage this morning until I saw idiot Facebook posts about "respecting the majority"

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22747 on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
:(  That's rough man.  I'm worried about my brother in law and sister in law.  They are here legally under DAPA which I imagine will be scrapped early in 2017 and then who knows what's in store for them after that. 

james

« Reply #22748 on: November 09, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
:(  That's rough man.  I'm worried about my brother in law and sister in law.  They are here legally under DAPA which I imagine will be scrapped early in 2017 and then who knows what's in store for them after that.

I have a cousin who is here illegally. Overstayed her visa.

(She came to the US after her husband cheater on her, so she moved in with her mom to figure things out).

Her sister married a cop and went full Trump.

Christmas will be fun.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22749 on: November 09, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »

(She came to the US after her husband cheater on her, so she moved in with her mom to figure things out).

Christmas will be fun.
Yeesh.  Yeah, my in laws are all immigrants from El Salvador and most of them are full Trumptards with no regard to what that might mean for some of their family.  It's disgusting.  I'm not going to hold back on reminding them that they helped to put their own blood in this position.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #22750 on: November 09, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
Was doing alright at containing my rage this morning until I saw idiot Facebook posts about "respecting the majority"

Fuck 'em. They didn't respect it when Obama won. No reason to respect to them now.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22751 on: November 09, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »

Fuck 'em. They didn't respect it when Obama won. No reason to respect to them now.

They aren't even the majority anyway.
dog

james

« Reply #22752 on: November 09, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »

Christmas will be fun.
Yeesh.  Yeah, my in laws are all immigrants from El Salvador and most of them are full Trumptards with no regard to what that might mean for some of their family.  It's disgusting.  I'm not going to hold back on reminding them that they helped to put their own blood in this position.

She actually bought the "Hillary supports aborting babies on the last day of pregnancy" as her number 1 reason to support Trump. Number 2 was black crime (her husband is a cop remember)

If her sister is deported and her daughter is left with a mother in mexico and an absentee dad somewhere in europe, then what? Who cares right.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #22753 on: November 09, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
This all comes down to Hillary not embracing Dat Boi meme. While Trump loved Pepe the Frog, and was well happy with this, Hillary just could not accept a frog on a bicycle. Why? We might never know, but if she did, the meme war would have been more even, and she would have won.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #22754 on: November 09, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »

They aren't even the majority anyway.

Exactly :maf

daemon

« Reply #22755 on: November 09, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »

so what you're saying essentially is that the other side isn't any better at taking a loss.

were there public manifestations on the hour obama got elected though?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #22756 on: November 09, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »
This feels more 2004 than 2008 despite the comparisons with the EC/popular vote differences. We knew exactly what demons this guy has but a significant portion of America believed he was their only salvation and the Democrats didn't care enough to make an effort, believing the result was set in stone.

Now expect a horrible few years as we head for a cyclical recession compounded with more expensive health care and higher debt. It's gonna be fucking rough before some Democratic candidate can campaign on restoring Obama's policies.

Im at work.

Im not working.

Is there a point?

My workplace is a skeleton crew today. So I took the opportunity to yell FUCK at the totally empty cube farm. It felt good.

Consoling crying secretaries isn't going to get easier.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22757 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
Real Charlie Sykes Verified account
‏@SykesCharlie

Trump won Wisconsin because Dems didn't turnout: Bush 2004 - 1,478,120; Romney 2012 - 1,410,966; Trump 2016 - 1,407,401

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22758 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »

Christmas will be fun.

She actually bought the "Hillary supports aborting babies on the last day of pregnancy" as her number 1 reason to support Trump. Number 2 was black crime (her husband is a cop remember)

If her sister is deported and her daughter is left with a mother in mexico and an absentee dad somewhere in europe, then what? Who cares right.
Man, that's rough.  I know of some Hispanics here that voted for Trump solely on the basis of abortion.  That kind of priority blows my mind.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22759 on: November 09, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
‏@SykesCharlie

Trump won Wisconsin because Dems didn't turnout: Bush 2004 - 1,478,120; Romney 2012 - 1,410,966; Trump 2016 - 1,407,401

That was the thing that CNN was showing over and over again last night (in the battleground states).

Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe the Clinton campaign should have copped to a much closer race even though their polling wasn't showing it. Maybe the imminent fear of losing would've brought a few more people out.

agrajag

« Reply #22760 on: November 09, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »
What's the postmortem, did Comey's letter fuck shit up or nah?

james

« Reply #22761 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »
My workplace is a skeleton crew today. So I took the opportunity to yell FUCK at the totally empty cube farm. It felt good.

Our two secretaries are Trump. Typical white italian jersey lower middle class.

What they dont appear to understand is that 100% of their salary is thanks to federal grants WHICH PAUL RYAN WILL GUT

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22762 on: November 09, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
I don't think it mattered.  It was the rust states which would have been about jobs.  Fools.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #22763 on: November 09, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »
‏@SykesCharlie

That was the thing that CNN was showing over and over again last night (in the battleground states).

Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe the Clinton campaign should have copped to a much closer race even though their polling wasn't showing it. Maybe the imminent fear of losing would've brought a few more people out.

Wisconsin went Blue for Gore, Kerry and Obama as well. Huge oversight, but then it was also a state Bernie was hugely popular in so it was going to be an uphill battle to get dems to vote Clinton. It's a state Bernie or Biden would have easily taken, in hindsight.

What's the postmortem, did Comey's letter fuck shit up or nah?

Nope. Republicans came out. Dems stayed at home, even in states that removed voters' rights there was a much less lower turnout than Obama. Would have happened even with the emails being a non-factor since it seems like it was dissatisfaction with Clinton by Dems is what did them in.

agrajag

« Reply #22764 on: November 09, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
GAF - Kanye should run for president  :lol

james

« Reply #22765 on: November 09, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
Fuck Im going to Burger King

I already feel like trash, might as well eat trash as well

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #22766 on: November 09, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »

Our two secretaries are Trump. Typical white italian jersey lower middle class.

What they dont appear to understand is that 100% of their salary is thanks to federal grants WHICH PAUL RYAN WILL GUT

smh

james

« Reply #22767 on: November 09, 2016, 12:26:45 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22768 on: November 09, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
Man Obama will be missed.  That was a good speech.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22769 on: November 09, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
Right now, just really hoping we make it through these four years without some major 9/11-style terrorist attack.
dog

« Reply #22770 on: November 09, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »
who to blame? the fucking people who voted for trump. there's no one else to blame.

great idea moron, we can just tell them not to vote.

blame people smart enough to know not to vote trump but who didn't vote.
blame the shitty system that created the apathy, sure - but you HAVE to work within it while you're in it.
ǚ

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #22771 on: November 09, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »

Pretty sure Taco Bell is open

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22772 on: November 09, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »
who to blame? the fucking people who voted for trump. there's no one else to blame.

blame the shitty system that created the apathy, sure - but you HAVE to work within it while you're in it.
I guess the loss will still fall on a lot of deaf ears.  You can't shrug off legitimate concerns of the population and then blame those people for turning to the one that was addressing them. 

Work in the energy industry? LOL I don't care! We'll put you out of business!
Scared of immigration and terrorism? SHUT UP RACIST
Your job is moving overseas? GET A STEM DEGREE, DUDE!
Why didn't you vote for us??

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22773 on: November 09, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
reuters

- 75 percent agree that "America needs a strong leader to take the country back from the rich and powerful."

- 72 percent agree "the American economy is rigged to advantage the rich and powerful."

- 68 percent agree that "traditional parties and politicians don’t care about people like me."

- 76 percent believe "the mainstream media is more interested in making money than telling the truth."

Sounds like a candidate I know...

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #22774 on: November 09, 2016, 12:58:39 PM »
Sanders campaign statement on CNN: "We have nothing polite to say right now."  :doge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #22775 on: November 09, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
i'm pretty angry rn so i'm out here blaming whoever tf i can.

nat

« Reply #22776 on: November 09, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »
reuters

- 75 percent agree that "America needs a strong leader to take the country back from the rich and powerful."

- 72 percent agree "the American economy is rigged to advantage the rich and powerful."

- 68 percent agree that "traditional parties and politicians don’t care about people like me."

- 76 percent believe "the mainstream media is more interested in making money than telling the truth."

Sounds like a candidate I know...

but bernie was a jewish democrat. that's what white baby boomers are actually thinking when they say 'rich and powerful' and 'mainstream media'. also, any attempts at actually fixing the problems they've correctly identified are 'socialsim', and that's wrong. they're very, very, very stupid and they were never going to vote for him. it came down to younger people and they blew it. them and the dnc.
ǚ

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #22777 on: November 09, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
Sanders campaign statement on CNN: "We have nothing polite to say right now."  :doge
Gatdamn

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22778 on: November 09, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »

Come on dude. At least have some dignity and eat at Steak n Shake or Five Guys.

or if you are feeling really masochistic, do Hardees (Carl Jr.s) instead.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #22779 on: November 09, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Also looking at the 2018 Senate races god damn are dems fucked. :whoo
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #22780 on: November 09, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »
All the smug has turned tout excuses now. I see no reason to continue to lord the karma you have earned for your ignorance over you guys. It's too easy. See ya in 4 years. Hopefully you idiots pick a less criminal minded leader next time.
YMMV

james

« Reply #22781 on: November 09, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »
Bush was reelected
Nixon was reelected
Scott Walker was reelected...twice
Rick Scott was reelected
Chris Christie was reelected

The future is over.

Global warming will be doubled

Iran will be invaded

BLM will be declared a terrorist group

I have no hope.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #22782 on: November 09, 2016, 01:28:58 PM »
Right now, just really hoping we make it through these four years without some major 9/11-style terrorist attack.

Who are you thinking we'd attack?
rub

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #22783 on: November 09, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
Am I off base in thinking that even the slogans sealed Hillary's fate?

"Make America Great Again"  :ohhh

vs.

"I'm with Her"  :what

....she really had no chance at all, did she?

james

« Reply #22784 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »
Am I off base in thinking that even the slogans sealed Hillary's fate?

"Make America Great Again"  :ohhh

vs.

"I'm with Her"  :what

....she really had no chance at all, did she?

Her low energy campaign was garbage from start to finish.

She is Martha Coakley.

Oh and Reddit made The_Donald a featured subreddit.

Fuck reddit.

Fuck nerds.

Steve Contra

« Reply #22785 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
Also poor folks with clinton, richer folks with Trump if you're still stupid enough to think this was about the economy.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/796334319132352512
vin

Himu

« Reply #22786 on: November 09, 2016, 01:43:40 PM »

I agree with you and all but don't call my friend a moron.
IYKYK

james

« Reply #22787 on: November 09, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
Hey guys, remember when Obama had a super-majority and decided he didnt need to fix that little problem where you can win the popular vote and lose the election?

I remember

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Steve Contra

« Reply #22789 on: November 09, 2016, 01:53:19 PM »
Hey guys, remember when Obama had a super-majority and decided he didnt need to fix that little problem where you can win the popular vote and lose the election?

I remember
It still wouldn't have happened, you think 38 states are going to vote to get rid of one of their biggest powers?
vin

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22790 on: November 09, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
Also poor folks with clinton, richer folks with Trump if you're still stupid enough to think this was about the economy.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/796334319132352512

I don't think anyone here disputed that really. What about the numbers for the white working class though ? No one is denying that Trump used a lot of racial baiting in their direction. All we are saying really is that maybe the left could have not bleed a part of those over the years with another economic proposition. (EDIT : And obviously maybe another candidate...)

But maybe we're wrong. Maybe it's a lower turnout, maybe it's some other demographic not showing up in the expected numbers. Or a variety of other factors.

As it stands, the GOP has seized all branches and even a genuinely charismatic candidate like Barack Obama who was able to get people to come out and vote for him couldn't hold the legislative branch just by himself. Appealing to white voters without pandering to prejudice would help Dems lose less in the near to mid future...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:04:25 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

james

« Reply #22791 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »

I remember
It still wouldn't have happened, you think 38 states are going to vote to get rid of one of their biggest powers?

If hed made PR and DC states it would have been even easier.

Instead he led from behind in ana ttempt to compromise.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22792 on: November 09, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
Clinton's campaign outspent Trump yet still lost.  7 to 1 on televisions ads and 75 to 1 on radio.

So much for Citizen's United buying elections.

james

« Reply #22793 on: November 09, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
Clinton's campaign outspent Trump 15 to 1.  7 to 1 on televisions ads and 75 to 1 on radio.

So much for Citizen's United buying elections.

California proposition elections have shown that massive media buys do not win.

Speaking of California, Im looking into Kamala Harris and ladies and gentlemen, she is the 2020 Democrat Presidential Candidate.

She literally trips over herself to hit every fucking liberal check box.

California's Attorney General
female
African-American
Indian-American
Asian-American
United States Senator
Raised in Berkeley
Raised in Montreal
Baptist choir
Howard University

Oh and shes attractive too. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

You heard it here first folks

Steve Contra

« Reply #22794 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:26 PM »

I remember

If hed made PR and DC states it would have been even easier.

Instead he led from behind in ana ttempt to compromise.
No, it was never going to happen.  You need two thirds in the house and the senate (which he didn't have) and there's more solidly red states than blue that would never in a million years vote for an Obama led constitutional amendment.
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22795 on: November 09, 2016, 02:09:33 PM »
This now marks the sixth election in the past seven where a Democrat has won the popular vote.

But the second election in the past five where a Democrat has won the popular vote but still lost.
dog

Himu

« Reply #22796 on: November 09, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »

Some laughs.
IYKYK

james

« Reply #22797 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
This now marks the sixth election in the past seven where a Democrat has won the popular vote.

But the second election in the past five where a Democrat has won the popular vote but still lost.

If this country wasnt so obese wed be flipping over cars and setting buildings on fire

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

james

« Reply #22799 on: November 09, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
Donald Trump has selected one of the best-known climate skeptics to lead his U.S. EPA transition team, according to two sources close to the campaign.

Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, is spearheading Trump’s transition plans for EPA, the sources said.

The Trump team has also lined up leaders for its Energy Department and Interior Department teams. Republican energy lobbyist Mike McKenna is heading the DOE team; former Interior Department solicitor David Bernhardt is leading the effort for that agency, according to sources close to the campaign.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-picks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition/?wt.mc=SA_Twitter-Share

For my own sanity, at close of business today I will disconnect from all politics for at least a year.

I cannot, and will not handle this.