Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2319204 times)

Himu

Re: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE
« Reply #23220 on: November 11, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »
http://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaign-intentionally-created-donald-trump-with-its-pied-piper-strategy/

That's actually the worst thing Clinton did, by far. She basically helped (or wished to, it's not clear how they followed through) arm and enable this monstruosity because she thought it was better to have a strawman instead of a real political contest.

Also

She was the Democratic candidate because it was her turn and because a Clinton victory would have moved every Democrat in Washington up a notch. Whether or not she would win was always a secondary matter, something that was taken for granted. Had winning been the party’s number one concern, several more suitable candidates were ready to go. There was Joe Biden, with his powerful plainspoken style, and there was Bernie Sanders, an inspiring and largely scandal-free figure. Each of them would probably have beaten Trump, but neither of them would really have served the interests of the party insiders.
Live Mike Pence replaces Christie to lead Trump transition, reports say – live
Follow along for the latest news from the day in politics, as the election vote count continues and Donald Trump gets to the work of being president-elect
Read more

And so Democratic leaders made Hillary their candidate even though they knew about her closeness to the banks, her fondness for war, and her unique vulnerability on the trade issue – each of which Trump exploited to the fullest. They chose Hillary even though they knew about her private email server. They chose her even though some of those who studied the Clinton Foundation suspected it was a sketchy proposition.

To try to put over such a nominee while screaming that the Republican is a rightwing monster is to court disbelief. If Trump is a fascist, as liberals often said, Democrats should have put in their strongest player to stop him, not a party hack they’d chosen because it was her turn. Choosing her indicated either that Democrats didn’t mean what they said about Trump’s riskiness, that their opportunism took precedence over the country’s well-being, or maybe both.

from a guardian article

:whew
IYKYK

zepblackstar

« Reply #23221 on: November 11, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »
Now everyone who was making jokes about the GOP primary field so crowded now saying it captured the mood of the public by weeding out the ones no one wanted.

DNC had a rigged system and it got them hillary.

Himu

« Reply #23222 on: November 11, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
Now everyone who was making jokes about the GOP primary field so crowded now saying it captured the mood of the public by weeding out the ones no one wanted.

DNC had a rigged system and it got them hillary.

This really spoke to me. I voted for Hillary even though I was a Bernie supporter because she was the only real alternative. Democrats need to do better than offer nothing to everyone on the premise that they're not Republicans.

The even larger problem is that there is a kind of chronic complacency that has been rotting American liberalism for years, a hubris that tells Democrats they need do nothing different, they need deliver nothing really to anyone – except their friends on the Google jet and those nice people at Goldman. The rest of us are treated as though we have nowhere else to go and no role to play except to vote enthusiastically on the grounds that these Democrats are the “last thing standing” between us and the end of the world. It is a liberalism of the rich, it has failed the middle class, and now it has failed on its own terms of electability. Enough with these comfortable Democrats and their cozy Washington system. Enough with Clintonism and its prideful air of professional-class virtue.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #23223 on: November 11, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
All these early articles on the election that completely contradict what the same pundits have been saying are hilarious.
vin

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #23224 on: November 11, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »
vin

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #23225 on: November 11, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/797179058131992576

WSJ sources saying Trump is now considering keeping Obamacare instead of repealing it.

Will any of the shit he said during the campaign manifest in his first year? Cause this is hilarious.

If Obama was "Yes, we can". Trump is quickly becoming "No, you can't" 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23226 on: November 11, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »
From that final Clinton staff letter:
We disqualified Donald Trump, making him unfit to be president
      Exit polls show that 63% of voters do not believe Trump has the temperament to be president.
      Exit polls also showed that he was the most unpopular nominee on Election Day of any candidate in modern history with a net favorability of -22 (38-60).
We also won the economic debate, addressing the anger and frustration many Americans felt about wages and good-paying jobs.
      According to exit polls, 52% of voters cited the economy as their biggest concern and they supported Sec. Clinton by a 10 point margin (52-42)
good job, good effort

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23227 on: November 11, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »
On the other hand, it's Trump. The guy who pussied out about his immigration policy when in Mexico only to go in Arizona and brag how about it a few hours later. Wouldn't be surprised he's saying this to appease Obama and smooth the transition over and it's hard to know if it's actually indicative of something.

I expect him to flip flop several times before even entering office.

good job, good effort

"We won on all counts and in all polls, except the only one that mattered !"
ὕβρις

zepblackstar

« Reply #23228 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:49 PM »

WSJ sources saying Trump is now considering keeping Obamacare instead of repealing it.

Will any of the shit he said during the campaign manifest in his first year? Cause this is hilarious.

I expect with the breitbart guy and kellyanne whatshername there with the poll numbers, they are looking at what to keep that will please this voters and what to throw out.

The keep on the insurance until 26 is popular across the aisle for one.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #23229 on: November 11, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »
Meh. "Those jobs are never coming back", maybe that's true (I think it is), but politics are supposed to think about what's ahead and possible alternatives. They better be finding one soon too, because if those jobs were killed by automation, plenty more industries will follow the same path in a not so far future.
The argument isn't an argument. It's a fact. I see it all the time. Hell, I facilitate it. And it's not just manufacturing/low skill jobs. The past few years I've seen tech that will put engineers, HR managers, financial analysts and computer support out of work. And yeah there are some jobs to support that. But not everyone is going to have those skills and you need less of them for example a team at Oracle that used to require 250 coders ten years ago is now supported with less than a hundred for the same product and that's the product that does the automation. Remember in another thread I talked about a friend that got laid off after over a decade with a firm? He's just one of a bunch because software has gotten to a point where you don't need a person with a masters in mathematics to help you figure out the stats of your business. He'll get a job eventually, but it wont pay as much. And he's far from unskilled. I just sold some tech to a company that will turn their 30 person team into an 8 person team within 2 years. Those jobs? They're not coming back. Tech isn't going to get worse. It's only going to get better. There will likely be a time soon where this tide will end and I'll be out of a job myself. Any one who thinks the jobs are coming back are either delusional or missing basic knowledge on how staffing works.

The fact is we're hurtling towards a post scarcity world. And the fact of the matter is captialism has no answer, no tools to deal with that.  :ussrcry

You think middle america is in despair now? Wait until 4 years of trump doesn't bring jobs back.

Trump's policies on tariffs and immigration (both legal and illegal) will cause companies to work overtime on finding an automated solution. Jobs will go down and prices will likely go up or at best stay the same.

The only thing I really wish for is a combination of Americans buying a bunch of gas guzzlers when the EPA removes fuel efficiency regulations and oil prices going sky high right after that. Nothing makes people hate a president more than paying too much at the pump.

archie4208

« Reply #23230 on: November 11, 2016, 05:20:48 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #23231 on: November 11, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
On the other hand, it's Trump. The guy who pussied out about his immigration policy when in Mexico only to go in Arizona and brag how about it a few hours later. Wouldn't be surprised he's saying this to appease Obama and smooth the transition over and it's hard to know if it's actually indicative of something.

I expect him to flip flop several times before even entering office.

The problem for him and the US is that flip floping at this point in the game is going to fuck off the market and the country perception of him. He know this as he decided to be diplomatic at least early, but temperament is going to make stuff more difficult than easier after election.

I expect with the breitbart guy and kellyanne whatshername there with the poll numbers, they are looking at what to keep that will please this voters and what to throw out.

They barely controlled him before, thought.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23232 on: November 11, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
Thomas Frank stealing arguments from The Bore posters? :doge

I don't know any Thomas Frank, but I'd be proud to have my arguments stolen by Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas.
©@©™

Dennis

« Reply #23233 on: November 11, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #23234 on: November 11, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
tfw your #hottakes gain traction across media  :playa

Don't forget to credit "213372bu" or PM me for my full name fellow CNN/FOX/NYT/BBC/NKNews lurkers

You know they would just say "two one three three seven two boo" tho

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #23235 on: November 11, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »
Already flexing my deep cover muscles. :whew

"[Kara] Are you a Trump supporter? My kid keeps sending me all this bullshit about him and you probably have the responses researched."

*with a big, warm smile that's unsettling as I'm permanently sullen in person* "I voted for someone who didn't win California."

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23236 on: November 11, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
Rumor of Chelsea Clinton being groomed for Congress (in NY obviously).  :doge
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #23237 on: November 11, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »
Rumor of Chelsea Clinton being groomed for Congress (in NY obviously).  :doge

Go home Chelsea, you're drunk.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23238 on: November 11, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
Trump is gonna change ObamaCare to TrumpCare and that's it and people will love it.

agrajag

« Reply #23239 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
Well people, this thread has sort of become my home even more so than the GAF one, because shitting on GAF has lost a lot of its luster for me. I've had a very slow summer with nothing to do, so ive been posting here a whole lot, to the annoyance of many of you I am sure. But now I am getting really busy with my job, so you will be seeing less and less of me in the coming days and weeks. Love you all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:19:53 PM by agrajag »

Syph

« Reply #23240 on: November 11, 2016, 07:56:55 PM »
Well people, this thread has sort of become my home even more so than the GAF one, becausd shitting on GAF has lost a lot of its luster for me. I've had a very slow summer with nothing to do, so ive been posting here a whole lot, to the annoyance of many of you I am sure. But now I am getting really busy with my job, so you will be seeiny less and less of me in the coming days and weeks. Love you all.
ilu2
this place is great because people can actually have a discussion and hold opposing views and not get banned
shout out to amir0x
XO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23241 on: November 11, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Gregg Popovich
I’m a rich white guy, and I’m sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can’t imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it’s just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is—we are Rome.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23242 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:04 PM »
Well people, this thread has sort of become my home even more so than the GAF one, becausd shitting on GAF has lost a lot of its luster for me. I've had a very slow summer with nothing to do, so ive been posting here a whole lot, to the annoyance of many of you I am sure. But now I am getting really busy with my job, so you will be seeiny less and less of me in the coming days and weeks. Love you all.
Fwiw, you're not as bad as I had initially assumed. :larry

Tasty

« Reply #23243 on: November 11, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
I wish we were Rome right before its fall

Caligula :aah

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #23244 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »
Rome right before its fall
Caligula
:ufup

Tasty

« Reply #23245 on: November 11, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol I know but I figured that I'd score some likes.  8)
[close]

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23246 on: November 11, 2016, 08:44:48 PM »

side note but the cumshot scene in the Caligula orgy scene features one of the most impressive dicks I've seen (aesthetically, not sexually of course).

:leon

Tasty

« Reply #23247 on: November 11, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »

side note but the cumshot scene in the Caligula orgy scene features one of the most impressive dicks I've seen (aesthetically, not sexually of course).

I know the one you're talking about and I completely agree.

benjipwns

« Reply #23248 on: November 11, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/parishilton/status/796442922224730112
Paris HiltonVerified account
‏@ParisHilton
🇺🇸👸🏼🇺🇸 #MakeAmericaHotAgain 🔥 #Paris2020 👑

:rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #23249 on: November 11, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
That reminds me, a whole bunch of people in PoliGAF were throwing out Mark Cuban as candidate for Democratic nominee in 2020 until I pointed out he considers Ayn Rand to be his philosophical idol and Atlas Shrugged (or The Fountainhead, I forget) is like his favorite book. :lol

benjipwns

daemon

benjipwns

« Reply #23252 on: November 11, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/305501-clinton-aides-blame-fbi-director-media-for-devastating-loss
Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, communications director Jennifer Palmieri and other Clinton aides sought to provide explanations during a private conference call Thursday with supporters of the Democratic nominee for a loss that to many came out of nowhere.

They were pressed on the call for answers and insight from supporters stung by the surprise loss.

At one point on the call, Podesta noted that Comey is the guy “who we think may have cost us the election,” according to one Clinton surrogate who relayed details about the call to The Hill.

Another unidentified aide also seemed to blame Comey.

“We saw turnout down and didn't do nearly as well as we thought. Something happened and it happened in a pretty steady way late in the race,” the aide said, according to the surrogate.

The surrogate said the clear message from the call was that Comey had contributed to the declining turnout.

“That last week, it was just one too many things,” Palmieri added later, referring to the post-Comey final week of the campaign.
Aides also blamed the media for the loss.

“The media always covered her as the person who would be president and therefore tried to eviscerate her before the election, but covered Trump who was someone who was entertaining and sort of gave him a pass,” Podesta said. “We need to reflect and analyze that and put our voices forward.”
The campaign chairman blamed the press for “the dominance of the way they covered the email” controversy, saying it overlooked “the conflicts of Trump's businesses, the Russian contacts we are now learning to be true, the failure of the press following the 3-page leak to the New York Times to really dig into the income tax question.”
“We need to be mindful of the fact that they're going to continue, they won't quit, they're going to continue to throw mud,” he said of the press, adding that Clinton supporters need to “defend her and her legacy and the kind of person she is.”

Syph

« Reply #23253 on: November 11, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »

(aesthetically, not sexually of course).

of course
XO

Himu

« Reply #23254 on: November 11, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »

Link
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #23255 on: November 11, 2016, 10:41:39 PM »

Link

:nsfw

8:37+ I believe.

Himu

« Reply #23256 on: November 11, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »
Cum shots are my fetish.

Will watch after work.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #23257 on: November 11, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
I think there's at least two, maybe three in that scene but that one sticks out (:teehee) in my mind.

Himu

« Reply #23258 on: November 11, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
Can't wait to see, will rate dick when I have the chance
IYKYK

Sausage

« Reply #23259 on: November 11, 2016, 10:49:22 PM »
Can't wait to see, will rate dick when I have the chance

Give me a 1-10 on Sean Lawless

Himu

« Reply #23260 on: November 11, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »
I don't know the name of a single white porn star. You'll have to post a pic.
IYKYK

zepblackstar

« Reply #23261 on: November 11, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »
Really??? Really???

Man the fuck up.

https://i.imgur.com/xTPEEjk.jpg

Himu

« Reply #23262 on: November 11, 2016, 10:56:18 PM »
I mean, I definitely cried. But I still had to go to work.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #23263 on: November 11, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »
Really??? Really???

Man the fuck up.

https://i.imgur.com/xTPEEjk.jpg
https://statesmanonline.org/2016/11/10/penn-reacts-to-clinton-loss-with-canceled-classes-and-coloring/
Many professors canceled classes and examinations scheduled for Wednesday. A Wharton management professor claimed to “have heard from an unusual number of students this morning that they are unwell” and therefore offered a makeup date for the scheduled midterm.  Other professors decided to postpone tests entirely. One Spanish teacher wrote in an email to her class that “the generally unexpected election results are likely to interfere or to have interfered with concentration.”

Other outlets for coping were offered to students as well. Some professors turned Wednesday’s classes into “safe spaces” in which students could freely express their concerns for their futures.
One of the dorms on campus even set up a “breathing space” the night after election day. Cats, a puppy, coloring pages, and snacks were offered to help students “decompress in a low-key and low-stress environment.”  The event certainly had a timid and fearful undertone, as students were hesitant to discuss what awaits the United States in January.

The administration of the University issued several statements. At Wednesday’s University Council meeting, Penn President Amy Gutmann tearfully spoke on how “bitter, divisive, and hurtful” this election cycle has been for many Americans. The University Chaplain also reached out to those who “are particularly struggling today” to let them know that they “are deeply valued here at Penn.”
“There were actual cats and a puppy there,” Penn student Daniel Tancredi told The College Fix via email. “There were sheets of paper available with black and white printed designs on them for students to color in. Essentially they looked like pages from a coloring book that were printed from a computer. They all had positive feel-good messages on them. Students colored them in with colored pencils.”

The space Wednesday did not include TV watching.

“For the most part, students just hung out and ate snacks and made small talk,” Tancredi said. “Of course, that was in addition to coloring and playing with the animals. The election was mentioned a few times, though mostly in very timid and fearful tones. The event as a whole seemed to be an escape from the reality of the election results.”

The “Breathing Space” was billed by the faculty director of Fisher Hassenfeld, who hosted it, as an “open safe space to process recent events.”

“Our aim is just to make a safe and quiet space to relax a bit at a time at which opening a space for quiet and relaxation feels especially important,” an email to students announcing the event stated.

Elsewhere:
Professors and administrators have cancelled exams and sent messages of support to students feeling traumatized by the election results.

A University of Michigan psychology professor delayed an exam until next week and wished students good fortune during this "tumultuous time." Some Columbia University professors postponed midterms as well. A University of Connecticut professor excused students from attending class. And at Yale University, one professor decided to make an upcoming exam optional.

Administrators were quick to reassure students that universities offer myriad counseling options.

"This election has been unusual in that specific statements were made about various groups of people who often feel marginalized and unsafe," wrote Northwestern University Vice President Patricia Telles-Irvin in a campuswide email. "Partisan, inflammatory statements unfortunately seem to be part of modern campaign rhetoric, but they cause real wounds. As we move beyond a divisive election, we therefore recognize the need for healing of those wounds. With this in mind, we want to extend support to those students who are experiencing difficulty at this time."

Students, predictably, were apoplectic. Cornell University students held a "cry-in." Loyola University and Byrn Mawr College students demanded the cancelling of classes, citing exhaustion, depression, and safety concerns
The Cornell Daily Sun reports that students hosted a “Cry In” on the quad Wednesday in the wake of the presidential election results.

“I’m quite terrified, honestly,” one student told the campus newspaper as she took part in the event. “It’s saying that people are really given into fear-mongering. They are willing to put people down based on their identity just so that they would feel vindicated that they would be getting rid of ‘Crooked Hillary.'”

Another participant told the Sun many are in “shock” as she sipped on a Starbucks coffee cup, sitting cross-legged in the institution’s Ho Plaza.

“I am concerned how this is validating the behavior of a lot of people,” she said.

As the event took place, students — roughly 20 or so, according to the Sun’s video — wrote their reactions and emotions on poster boards with colored markers, or with chalk on the ground. A chilly day on the Ithaca campus, at one point the demonstrators huddled together as what appeared to be a barista brought them warm drinks.

Several adults, most likely professors, stood around the group. The event appeared to take on the atmosphere of a funeral wake.

“I’d say the results are heartbreaking and such a slap in the face to so many of the populations that make up America,” an older lady who appeared to be a professor told The Sun.
https://www.facebook.com/cornellsun/videos/10154764391131108/

zepblackstar

« Reply #23264 on: November 11, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
Another participant told the Sun many are in “shock” as she sipped on a Starbucks coffee cup, sitting cross-legged in the institution’s Ho Plaza.

That entire sentence is tremendous in a visual sense.

« Reply #23265 on: November 12, 2016, 12:21:43 AM »
But several reliable, well-informed sources confirmed the idea that Hitler’s anti-Semitism was not so genuine or violent as it sounded, and that he was merely using anti-Semitic propaganda as a bait to catch messes of followers and keep them aroused, enthusiastic and in line for the time when his organization is perfected and sufficiently powerful to be employed effectively for political purposes.

Freyj

« Reply #23266 on: November 12, 2016, 01:50:03 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-president.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mr. Trump, a homebody who often flew several hours late at night during the campaign so he could wake up in his own bed in Trump Tower, is talking with his advisers about how many nights a week he will spend in the White House. He has told them he would like to do what he is used to, which is spending time in New York when he can.

The questions reflect what Mr. Trump’s advisers described as the president-elect’s coming to grips with the fact that his life is about to change radically. They say that Mr. Trump, who was shocked when he won the election, might spend most of the week in Washington, much like members of Congress, and return to Trump Tower or his golf course in Bedminster, N.J., or his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach on weekends.

His aides say he has also expressed interest in continuing to hold the large rallies that were a staple of his candidacy. He likes the instant gratification and adulation that the cheering crowds provide, and his aides are discussing how they might accommodate his demand.

benjipwns

« Reply #23267 on: November 12, 2016, 01:56:48 AM »
It doesn't seem like that would be hard to do, Obama and Bush always seemed to be off somewhere, giving speeches to rallies and stuff.

Of course, I assume we'll start counting Trump's "vacation" days and golf outings. Since you know, Presidents can't telecommute in this day and age. Instead they should be chained to the desk in the Oval Office. (A desk, we should note, still doesn't have a computer on it.)

The harder thing will be if he can't tweet. Like when they tried to take away Obama's Blackberry.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #23268 on: November 12, 2016, 01:58:33 AM »
But several reliable, well-informed sources confirmed the idea that Hitler’s anti-Semitism was not so genuine or violent as it sounded, and that he was merely using anti-Semitic propaganda as a bait to catch messes of followers and keep them aroused, enthusiastic and in line for the time when his organization is perfected and sufficiently powerful to be employed effectively for political purposes.

Hitler didnt win on the back of anti semitism

benjipwns

« Reply #23269 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:46 AM »
It's not like it hurt him much.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #23270 on: November 12, 2016, 02:16:54 AM »

Of course, I assume we'll start counting Trump's "vacation" days and golf outings. Since you know, Presidents can't telecommute in this day and age. Instead they should be chained to the desk in the Oval Office. (A desk, we should note, still doesn't have a computer on it.)

I heard you can install mail servers in your house.
rub

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #23271 on: November 12, 2016, 02:18:18 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-president.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mr. Trump, a homebody who often flew several hours late at night during the campaign so he could wake up in his own bed in Trump Tower, is talking with his advisers about how many nights a week he will spend in the White House. He has told them he would like to do what he is used to, which is spending time in New York when he can.

The questions reflect what Mr. Trump’s advisers described as the president-elect’s coming to grips with the fact that his life is about to change radically. They say that Mr. Trump, who was shocked when he won the election, might spend most of the week in Washington, much like members of Congress, and return to Trump Tower or his golf course in Bedminster, N.J., or his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach on weekends.

His aides say he has also expressed interest in continuing to hold the large rallies that were a staple of his candidacy. He likes the instant gratification and adulation that the cheering crowds provide, and his aides are discussing how they might accommodate his demand.
I've been thinking more and more that Trump will do this whole president thing for 6 months and just resign.  He's already proven his doubters wrong by winning the election, he isn't in this for the "work" part of the job. 

Make some superficial changes to the ACA,  introduce some half assed plans for more fencing on the border and hang it up by next summer.   Play it off like he did 4 years of work in only a few months and pat himself on the back while he heads out the door.

He looked miserable at that tour of the White House the other day.   :lol 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:33:49 AM by Let's Cyber »

benjipwns

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #23273 on: November 12, 2016, 03:10:02 AM »
It doesn't seem like that would be hard to do, Obama and Bush always seemed to be off somewhere, giving speeches to rallies and stuff.

The harder thing will be if he can't tweet. Like when they tried to take away Obama's Blackberry.

or Hillary's  :-X
QED

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23274 on: November 12, 2016, 04:20:21 AM »
To be fair, it's hard to know how much the Comey letters and the years long assassination of Hillary Clinton's character had an effect in the election. Not to absolve her or her campaign for some glaring mistakes, she lost by such small margins where it mattered that they could probably still have snatched it if they didn't bought into their own hype, God knows she had the financial means to try to secure more votes in the "blue firewall" states that failed her. Hindsight is 20/20 but it is interesting how Clinton's campaign was so ambitiously offensive on the electoral map (hoping to win one or several of FL, NC, GA, AZ) while being so defensive in the discussion because Trump sucked all the air in the room and was the main attraction.

Republicans have some responsibility in discrediting politics and laying the ground work for Trump.

Also, I said previously that analysing stuff as slogans in light of the defeat is obviously gonna be colored by confirmation bias, but really "I'm with Her" was awful messaging.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:03:49 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #23275 on: November 12, 2016, 06:39:32 AM »

I've been thinking more and more that Trump will do this whole president thing for 6 months and just resign.  He's already proven his doubters wrong by winning the election, he isn't in this for the "work" part of the job. 

Make some superficial changes to the ACA,  introduce some half assed plans for more fencing on the border and hang it up by next summer.   Play it off like he did 4 years of work in only a few months and pat himself on the back while he heads out the door.

He looked miserable at that tour of the White House the other day.   :lol 

I don't think miserable is the right word. He looked like he was in so far over his head he was starting to malfunction. Like a kid about to give his book report speech who didn't actually read the book. The wide eyes, clenched jaw, pursed lips, hand fidgetting. Dude looked like he was on the verge of an anxiety attack to me, realizing the weight of what being the president actually means.

I imagine his inner monologue the whole time was "...fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck..."

Wouldn't allow a media pool on his journey to meet the current president as well. Obama and Dubya had those pools and they were laughing, smiling and cracking jokes during the entire time. I can't imagine the mood Trump would have been in on the way to Washington. And especially afterwards as he looked like he was chewing on a wasp when meeting Paul Ryan (Obama probably laid some hard truths on him the moment they were away from the cameras)

I forget which article I read it was because god knows how many there has been in the last few days. But they had a fantastic point. Trump has always been a "Boss" all his life telling his subordinates what to do and enjoying the life of being the "boss". The President is not that job and never has been. It's the highest office of public servitude where you aren't making decisions that benefit yourself, but benefit the people. Donald Trump is now a civil servant who has to work for an entire nation. And if you are Donald Trump, who has made his entire life on never having to work for anyone but himself, that's a horrifying prospect. Especially since the non-stop media cycle will be watching you and every decision you make like a hawk. He's going to be one miserable fucker the entire presidency. If he even lasts the full term, that is.     

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23276 on: November 12, 2016, 07:00:47 AM »
We'll see but yeah : as was said before, he loves the title, not the actual work it means.
Some of that stuff can be alleviated by heavy delegating but yes indeed at such a high public office you can't just pass the buck. I don't think he likes that level of accountability, yeah. The idea he is unfit for office didn't originate out of thin air.
But we know he is pathologically unable to back down. He also loves money, and that whole thing will be a lifelong meal ticket for him and his kids if he doesn't fuck it up royally. Ineffectual corrupt assholes coasting by in office isn't exactly unprecedented.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wishful thinking
[close]

I think we probably can work on finding the appropriate translation for "bunga bunga" in English though.
ὕβρις

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23277 on: November 12, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »
You know what would have prevented it? If Hillary had listened to the president and stopped using personal emails on a private server.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23278 on: November 12, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »
The "mass rallies" thing is legit worrying though. Trump is good at that, but not that good : the minute the loudest, ugliest part of his base will turn on him, I fear he will say and do anything to get them off his back.

Berlusconi was the proto-Trump, but even before entering office he had his own media and political machine to spin things in a palatable way from the top-down. Trump needs to keep himself in the good graces of the right wing media and their rabid audiences.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:19:34 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Oblivion

« Reply #23279 on: November 12, 2016, 07:17:24 AM »
How bad was the 2000 gerrymander compared to the 2010 one?