Author Topic: THE WITCHER 3: WILDE HUNT  (Read 193043 times)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
Re: THE WITCHER 3: WILDE HUNT
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »
One more week.

Why can't my stores break street date too  :(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
Its totally stupid on my part cause I sell every game, buy I feel like buying this on psn.

I never finished witcher 1 and never really played 2 as a consequence (although I do have it).

/livejournal

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2015, 04:57:47 PM »
Free strategy guide with purchase at Target next week.
fat

studyguy

« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »
Its totally stupid on my part cause I sell every game, buy I feel like buying this on psn.

I never finished witcher 1 and never really played 2 as a consequence (although I do have it).

/livejournal

Skip W1, unless you read the books it has little to do with anything currently going on in 2 and prob 3.
pause

sarslip

« Reply #244 on: May 13, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
one should read all the books to fully appreciate waifu ciri :expert

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #245 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
You dont even need to play W2 at all. What exactly carries over to W3 thats required playing?

- Characters (who is relevant still? Geralt and Triss [who was gone the ENTIRE game], and probably his merry band of friends, Zoltan and Dandelion. Geralt's girlfriend Yennefer who is only teased like a carrot)
- Mythos (Wild Hunt - even then you barely get any info about them)
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #246 on: May 13, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
Interested to read impressions/opinions and hear if the combat really has gotten any better. I've started Witcher 2 at least half a dozen times and can't wrap my head around the control wonk.

Also, been noticing a lot of folks across the various boards/sites saying they skipped or never finished the first game, even if they played through the second.  CDP could probably pick up some extra scratch if they retooled the controls/combat and "remastered" it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:36:10 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #247 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »
What issues did you have with the combat in 2? It's pretty straight forward compared to the mess that was the first game.

- Steel Sword (use on humans)
- Silver Sword (use on monsters)

- Heavy Attack
- Light Attack
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
I just didn't care for the way the controls were laid out, always felt like I was crab-clawing and wrestling with the controller. Targeting seemed kind of spotty, too.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
I mean, given all the side weapons and magic you juggle it's probably the best they could have done, so I don't really know what else they could do to streamline it.
sup

studyguy

« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
Honestly the shit of the W2 combat just comes in the unresponsive shit that plauges it or the poor design choices pre-fight.

Oh fuck I just popped a potion, but the timers for them runs during the 10m cutscene.

Oh fuck I just got in a fight without warning post cutscene and didn't even get a chance to prep (potion or otherwise)

Oh I just came out of a cutscene and these dudes are wailing on my ass before I even get a sword out

I love that game but generally for what it should feel like, the sword play was just too unresponsive at times, fortunately this new shit looks like they cleared up that complaint which is all I really wanted personally.
pause

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
I dont think any of that has to do with the actual combat, but I dont disagree that they are dumb issues.
fat

studyguy

« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »
That's what we like to call some good ol' eurojank

shout out to all my Poles

Dudes working magic out there with what sounds like a budget of rocks compared to western devs
pause

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »
All of this just makes me hyped as fuck for Cyberpunk 2077

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »
I was worried about the combat at first, but after seeing all the footage of battles, it looks like something that will be fun to master. Especially after getting upgrades in parrying and arrow deflection. There is an upgrade that will send the arrow back at the person who shot it, killing him. :noah

From what I saw, it's not like you can just hold deflect and it work, you have to time it just right for it to work.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:22:21 PM by Brehvolution »
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
One thing I wanted to ask, what is the best path to take in the tutorial where you get to pick what you would have done in the other games?
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
I was worried about the combat at first, but after seeing all the footage of battles, it looks like something that will be fun to master. Especially after getting upgrades in parrying and arrow deflection. There is an upgrade that will send the arrow back at the person who shot it, killing him. :noah

This was in Witcher 2 as well. It was useless as shit. Parrying as well.

Is rolling in this game? Thats all you need to win.
fat

studyguy

« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »
Parrying in W2 is a fucking joke in Dark Mode especially.
Fuck outta here with dudes killing me mid parry, what's the point?

Roll 2 Win

Also I haven't really seen jack squat on W3 aside from some snippets of the new combat which looks fine, fluid.
That's all I wanted. Don't have the neckbeard to concern myself over much else that GAF is sperging over on it.
pause

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
Lol, I think theres at most 25 enemies who actually use bows in Witcher 2.
fat

sarslip

« Reply #259 on: May 13, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
   :snoop

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
I'm really hyped for Cyberpunk 2077 as well. Which is strange, considering I don't usually hype myself up for something that's probably going to end up cancelled.

Nah, they're not going to cancel it.
dog

« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
   :snoop

people are trying super hard to make this into an order 1866 / watch_dogs debacle but nothing will ever beat "the human eye only sees five hours".

argue over the placement of brick textures on a corner wall while the game gets a flood of high scores from every outlet on the planet, brehs.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
B-b-but they lied! The marketing materials looked better than the final product! They're just like Ubisoft, they're all the same... :brazilcry

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »
I'm really hyped for Cyberpunk 2077 as well. Which is strange, considering I don't usually hype myself up for something that's probably going to end up cancelled.

Wrath please dont say that

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »
GuyS there is no coloured people in Witcher 3, controversy!!!

No black people? 8.0

-polygon

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
Cant believe I got banned because of commenting on that drivel that gies writes

Brehvolution

« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »

You wrote the Borderland OT though.You're ok with me.  ;)
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #267 on: May 13, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »

Must see
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:12:12 PM by Brehvolution »
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »

You wrote the (Image removed from quote.) Borderland OT though.You're ok with me.  ;)

How is this not an actual emote

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »

You wrote the (Image removed from quote.) Borderland OT though.You're ok with me.  ;)

I dont get what I did wrong breh

Brehvolution

« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »

I dont get what I did wrong breh

I saw your posts and you ain't lyin'. Sorry for your loss.
©ZH

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »
Who has time for gaf anyway with W3 so close

Brehvolution

« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »
That review is a joke:

- Objectifying women
- Console frying technical issues
- No black people (in a land of monsters and dragons)

8/10

:comeon
©ZH

studyguy

« Reply #273 on: May 13, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
How am I  supposed to relate to a sterile, demon hunting master swordsman who fucks strange women and succubus on the daily if there's no brown skin dudes like me?

Brehs it's just reviews, yall are getting the fucking game anyway. Don't stress lmao
pause

sarslip

« Reply #274 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:14 PM »

:bolo

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
For consoles, apparently four questions near the start that act in lieu of save importing.
I wanna know what it affects but at the same time not spoil myself.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »
Don't get why people are making an issue of no black people in the game... I can't recall any black people in the other Witchers. Nor would I imagine medieval Poland had much in the way of black people there.

Anyways, I'm a bit bummed that the PS4 version apparently sucks. Was hoping to get that since I want to play this game but can't run it on my laptop (which ran #2 fine in 720p). Now it's not like I can sit down and play through this for a few months but is the PS4 one bad enough to wait a few years out till I get a new laptop?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:24:42 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2015, 11:18:24 PM »
I doubt it will be THAT horrible. Plus, in a couple years you'll probably be able to get the game for like $10-15 on a Steam sale, so double dip for the win-win.
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2015, 01:53:30 AM »
Don't get why people are making an issue of no black people in the game... I can't recall any black people in the other Witchers. Nor would I imagine medieval Poland had much in the way of black people there.

Anyways, I'm a bit bummed that the PS4 version apparently sucks. Was hoping to get that since I want to play this game but can't run it on my laptop (which ran #2 fine in 720p). Now it's not like I can sit down and play through this for a few months but is the PS4 one bad enough to wait a few years out till I get a new laptop?

Who is saying it sucks?

Its at 93 on metacritic despite some hiccups and there is a patch to fix framerate day one

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2015, 04:56:20 AM »
Arthur Gies is an embarrassing try-hard, that's all there is to it. In principal I want to agree with him, but he's being such a cockhanded idiot about it that I can only groan. He will die on that hill just to spite the shit-flingers, because that's what's actually fuelling his zeal.

sarslip

« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
Also, while I did not by any means see every city, burg and outpost in The Witcher 3's world in my 70+ hours spent within it, I don't recall a single non-white humanoid anywhere — not in Skellige, Novograd, Oxenfurt or anywhere else. Once I realized this I couldn't stop looking for any example of a person of color anywhere, and I never found it, unless you count naked monster women sitting at the feet of a boss like a slightly more awkward tribute to a Frank Frazetta painting. But maybe they're in there, somewhere. -Gies

:ohhh

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2015, 12:50:27 PM »
Decided to try to play through Witcher 2 a few days ago before 3 comes out which I never beat and only vaguely remember. I forgot how good it still looks. It was probably the first next gen game of this gen before this gen.

As far as the diversity stuff, yeah I'm generally in favor of it since the arguments for why there aren't diversity in these faux middle age fantasy pieces tend to be bullshit but whatever. I'd rather direct it at the genre in general and say its a genre problem versus singling out one specific title or work to hammer home with.

We know why there is no diversity in it. The creators are polish people in a society where there isn't a lot of diversity in skin color. You tend to create art based around what you see everyday and sometimes its not an evil willful thing but just a case of it is what it is. Which doesn't necessarily make it terrific but I get it. It's a larger discussion than necessarily trying to beat up one individual game.

« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind geralt being kidnapped by a group of zerrikanian warrior women for the sake of diversity

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2015, 12:18:51 AM »
Decided to try to play through Witcher 2 a few days ago before 3 comes out which I never beat and only vaguely remember. I forgot how good it still looks. It was probably the first next gen game of this gen before this gen.

As far as the diversity stuff, yeah I'm generally in favor of it since the arguments for why there aren't diversity in these faux middle age fantasy pieces tend to be bullshit but whatever. I'd rather direct it at the genre in general and say its a genre problem versus singling out one specific title or work to hammer home with.

We know why there is no diversity in it. The creators are polish people in a society where there isn't a lot of diversity in skin color. You tend to create art based around what you see everyday and sometimes its not an evil willful thing but just a case of it is what it is. Which doesn't necessarily make it terrific but I get it. It's a larger discussion than necessarily trying to beat up one individual game.

It really comes down to people wanting to make games about what they know and characterizations based on what they interact with on a day-to-day basis. Really, the problem is the lack of black people interested in game development and STEM type careers - I majored in computer science at the largest state school in NY, obviously a very diverse state, with a very diverse student body... but there were only 2 black people in all of my CS classes (one of them was in my study group senior year and he went into the defense industry iirc)... why aren't there more black people in CS programs or interested in game development, I dunno?

Though I did see an interesting article last year about a game in development by a team from Cameroon... influenced by FF7 and featuring African themes and characters. Looks pretty interesting, I hope it makes it to market:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/african-rpg-aurion
^_^

Stoney Mason

« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2015, 01:11:18 AM »
The reason why diversity should be in a game centers around two things. It's both economically smarter and its the moral thing to do unless you have a specific universe that for specific reasons isn't applicable to that situation.

It's economically correct because you are alienating part of your potential audience if they look at something and can't see themselves in it and therefore are less likely to consume that piece of entertainment/fiction. It's money smart to be inclusive. And on the moral side its just right unless a specific universe has real reasons why there isn't diversity. Like Braveheart shouldn't should have black people running around in it, but a faux braveheart meets game of thrones that is really just a mix of Dungeon & Dragons meets Middle Ages stereotypes isn't of course adhering to that reality.

For all their warts a company like Bioware gets that. It's not just entertainment created to reflect the people creating it. Mass market entertainment has to take into account the audience who is going to consume it. And in recent titles they do a pretty decent job especially relative to their peers in adding in diversity. Which is not to put a target on CD Projekt RED. Your society is always going to reflect the balance of this stuff and is always going to skew it. If your society doesn't have a lot of social diversity when it comes to skin color its probably not going to reflect it in the art they create. Which is a different discussion to have than some lame ass reviewer dinging a game because there isn't enough diversity in it. On the other side its also not acceptable to just go oh there are no black people (or any other ethnic group) because its aping some fantasy version of medieval europe when you have trolls and magic and vampires, and unicorns and whatever other imaginery stuff rolling along.

It's not a problem unique to the Witcher 3 which is why its pointless to single out an individual game or not have a more complex and intelligent discussion about the situation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:19:16 AM by Stoney Mason »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2015, 03:09:12 AM »
I really like your posts Stoney and I do think the topic is much broader then the Witcher 3. For me there are a few key points that are important and I will use Witcher 3 as an example.

One of the big problems in all mass media entertainment, or communication, is design by committee. Every box needs to be ticked. This leads to works that don't feel authentic.
Witcher 3 is based on a series of books that as far as I know do not have any coloured people, the books has been written in specific time and place. They are real authentic works.

Why mess with someones art? Would sprinkling in coloured people make the game better? Or would it make it less authentic? Sapakowski didn't include these people in the books, so a new backstory would have to be written. Where do they come from? etc. etc. This all to check some box to be 'more inclusive' and 'money smart'.

Real diversity to me is being able to play games made in different cultures in which I can experience those cultures as well. Japanese developers have been trying to cater to Western tastes for a long while now and many of their games have suffered. For me a game like Persona is great experience. I get a glimpse of Japanese culture. The game feels authentic to me. No need to include a token gajin character.

Last of Us: Left Behind that I just finished last night is an American game where the two main characters are lesbian girls, one of which is Afro American. Everything is handled very mature and beautiful and is a real product of the great diversity of American society.

Another example is Never Alone, which although a mediocre game is a telling about the Innui and their legends. I didn't care much for the gameplay but it was nice to experience this.

I think the real problem is that there is no African software development to show us their stories to counterbalance ours. I would love to play a game based on African folklore, but alas we might have to wait longer on that.

TLDR: Let games be authentic, not design by committee.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2015, 04:43:27 AM »
I think the correct answer is all art is different. And its probably not good to make any blanket rules on any individual piece of art or work. It is better to speak in trends and representation as a general concept. And work to achieve diversity that way. Unless a game is absolutely obnoxious about it.

For example, one person pet peeve of mine is if a game has a character creator at the front but it lacks any good diversity options. Hell I worked on a game once where you couldn't create a black character even though the character creator was supposed to be fully functioning and there was no good reason for their not to be other than somebody hadn't designed it that way. And while at the time it struck me as funny, it's also a real problem. So it takes steps. Lots of steps because a lot of time, the dominant culture doesn't even realize they are doing something not cool. When you are the dominant majority grouping in a culture it all just tends to seem natural instead of weird.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
Open world historical game set in Africa would be badass
sup

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
Might get on xbone. Any word on how the console versions are fairing? I'm not about to dive into a gaf sewer thread.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
◕‿◕

El Babua

« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »
Might get on xbone. Any word on how the console versions are fairing? I'm not about to dive into a gaf sewer thread.

Iffy performance on console, but otherwise fully playable.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
PC master race, take note: the game will unlock Monday night at 7 pm US eastern time for us. Console poors, wait until Tuesday.
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
Looks like the collector's edition is impossible to find for anything but a highly inflated price.
^_^

studyguy

« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »
Got W3 off Ebay for $25.
It's a GOG version. Let me just say GoG Galaxy (their steam basically) is fucking hilarious.

My friend was like let me add you to my friend's list since we both got it on ebay.
We go through it and there's no add friend feature. Shit's like Nintendo Friend system but worse.
You can only add friends if you find a post of theirs in the forums or on a review or some shit on the program browser.
pause

Stoney Mason

« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2015, 03:43:47 AM »
Almost through with Witcher 2. Deep into Act 3.

Really love Geralt as I did in the first game. I also love that universe where you don't necessarily feel like a goody goody doing all this stuff even though you are involved in all of it. It's a more interesting approach than the save the world because you are the chosen one approach that Bioware always takes.

I'm not sure the choices factored into the game as well as they did in the first witcher but still enjoyable experience.

sarslip

« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »
11 more hours.... i can do this   :stahp

sarslip

« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
 :lol

meanwhile the Witcher downgrade thread at 140 pages and going strong with gems like this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164328462&postcount=6924

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »
The thing about Watch_Dogs is that Ubisoft also downgraded the gameplay.
dog

sarslip

« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
where are our industry vanguards like Total Biscuit, and Jim Sterling to protect us?  ::)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
theyre all playing Witcher 3  :lol
[close]

studyguy

« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »

Lets boycott guys, that works.
pause