Author Topic: THE WITCHER 3: WILDE HUNT  (Read 196397 times)

sarslip

Re: THE WITCHER 3: WILDE HUNT
« Reply #480 on: May 22, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
its true form :rejoice 

cast your gaze upon greatness  :rejoice 

only crashed once last night :rejoice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition was one of the first PC games I bought back in 2008 when I built my first computer. It was pretty hot stuff back then. :rock
dog

« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition was one of the first PC games I bought back in 2008 when I built my first computer. It was pretty hot stuff back then. :rock

Heh. Yeah. Me too. I built a rig sometime in Spring 2009, and it was the first desktop I'd had since like 2005. I think Witcher: Enhanced Edition was the first game I bought.

sarslip

« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Witcher 1 was a slideshow for me until a 2012 upgrade

« Reply #484 on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »
Witcher 1 was a slideshow for me until a 2012 upgrade

I had upgraded my graphics card for Witcher 2, and at the time of Witcher 2's release, it performed better than Witcher 1 did on my computer.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #485 on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »
How do you think this will run on a GTX 680? Ram and CPU are fine.
nat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #486 on: May 22, 2015, 11:10:48 AM »
How do you think this will run on a GTX 680? Ram and CPU are fine.
Medium to high should be fine if this chart is to be believed.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/artikel/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_systemanforderungen,49062,3085863,7.html (pretty good indicator in my experience)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #487 on: May 22, 2015, 11:14:33 AM »
I want to go do side stuff, but the main quest is so compelling. :lawd
Starting to feel a little under leveled. As soon as I get out from beating the hunt dude, the first pack of bandits slaughter me.

This game. :hyper

I was the exact opposite until I got out of White Orchard- I ran around and did everything else until there was nothing left to do but kill the griffon. My main goal after my audience was FINDING A FUCKING MERCHANT so I could sell all the shit I had- bags were full to bursting.

I'm not sure that the side quests in this game are per se "better" than other open world games, although they seem to be more enjoyable. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of the lore and backstory for witchers establishes them as monster slayers for hire, so you feel like you're doing something you're supposed to when you take on contracts? Anyway, side quests definitely seem to shit all over the usual mmo "get me 10 of this stupid thing" type of quest.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #488 on: May 22, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »
I play the same way. Looking for more Gwent opponents currently. :lol

« Reply #489 on: May 22, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
I'm not sure that the side quests in this game are per se "better" than other open world games, although they seem to be more enjoyable. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of the lore and backstory for witchers establishes them as monster slayers for hire, so you feel like you're doing something you're supposed to when you take on contracts? Anyway, side quests definitely seem to shit all over the usual mmo "get me 10 of this stupid thing" type of quest.

I'm not very far in the game yet, but to me the thing that sets apart the Witcher games from others is the moral complexity (at least relative to other video game RPGs) at play. For instance, a lot of people complain about the repetitiveness of fetch quests (for good reason), but I think most would probably recognize that it's kind of a necessary evil. Pretend that you're a designer working with this toolset. What quest structure would you propose that would make for a more fun experience? I mean, you're a monster killer by trade. "Go someplace and kill a monster" not only is right in the wheelhouse of vidya RPGs, but also within the lore of who Geralt is and what he does.

But the lore of you being a Witcher isn't even what impresses me. What I always enjoy is that they tend to add wrinkles into how quests often play out. It isn't just "here's a monster. It's bad. Kill it and make money." The first big thing you fight in the form of the griffin winds up being something that I didn't even want to kill. When you see what the Nilfgaardiens did to the Griffin's mate, it suddenly makes sense why he's on a rampage. There's a side quest in that area where you have to clear out a wraith. And during the investigation, you learn the backstory of how the wraith came to be.

I'm not saying that this stuff is mindblowingly deep. But it's just so refreshing that both main and side quests are fleshed out in such a fashion.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #490 on: May 22, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
The sidequests have depth in them relative to other games. Moral complexity. And in a few cases actually damn good voice acting. This is backed up with an interesting universe where you can essentially play as a slightly more neutral batman type figure.

This is the way rpgs should be.

Compare to this the rote way I often played Inquisition where I put on a podcast or some other form of audio stimulation and just went about grinding and clearing out maps in that game in a mind-numbing manner. The difference is about as stark as you can make it.

Ubisoft games and Inquisition litter their games with these fake mmo open world experience where you put a billion icons on the map and that is supposed to be fun. Witcher 3 puts a lot of on icons on the map but there is actually meat on those bones. It's damn impressive.

There is always going to be blowback on any highly rated game once some time has passed and a game is evaluated, nitpicked, and dissected and the same will happen to the Witcher 3 but man this game is great. My normal stop signal for a gaming session is when I start to get bored and that generally takes 2 or 3 hours. But everytime with witcher 3 is because I run out of spare time to play it. That's always the sign that I'm playing something that for me is special. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #491 on: May 22, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »
Regarding the griffon, I had a buddy here at work looking all confused when I told him about getting the contract for the griffon and meeting the hunter and herbalist. He didn't do any of that. Once he found the buckthorn, it said to find Vessemir and he fought it then. It's cool how open ended stuff like that is. Most games are so linear that all of us would have the same experience. Not this game. :noah
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #492 on: May 22, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
©ZH

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #493 on: May 22, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
The sidequests have depth in them relative to other games. Moral complexity. And in a few cases actually damn good voice acting. This is backed up with an interesting universe where you can essentially play as a slightly more neutral batman type figure.

Compare to this the rote way I often played Inquisition where I put on a podcast or some other form of audio stimulation and just went about grinding and clearing out maps in that game in a mind-numbing manner. The difference is about as stark as you can make it.

Ubisoft games and Inquisition litter their games with these fake mmo open world experience where you put a billion icons on the map and that is supposed to be fun. Witcher 3 puts a lot of on icons on the map but there is actually meat on those bones. It's damn impressive.

There is always going to be blowback on any highly rated game once some time has passed and a game is evaluated, nitpicked, and dissected and the same will happen to the Witcher 3 but man this game is great. My normal stop signal for a gaming session is when I start to get bored and that generally takes 2 or 3 hours. But everytime with witcher 3 is because I run out of spare time to play it. That's always the sign that I'm playing something that for me is special.

Big part of it too is the monsters in this aren't just monsters. There's usually some mythology behind them, typically a source of misery that birthed them. You have to deal with the griffon because of dickhead soldiers etc.

Brehvolution

©ZH

sarslip

« Reply #495 on: May 22, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164871528&postcount=12996

cant believe people are still complaining about features

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #496 on: May 22, 2015, 10:28:22 PM »
:lol holy shit the swimming controls are bad, like "what the fuck were you even thinking?" kinda bad
sup

Cheddahz

« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
:lol holy shit the swimming controls are bad, like "what the fuck were you even thinking?" kinda bad
I haven't had trouble with them?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
They're fine on the water surface. Once you dive you're doing all kinds of frog flips and rolls and turning around for no reason

I really feel like folks are giving this game a wide pass on a lot of busted things they'd rip other games a second asshole over, especially after two previously janked-the-fuck-up iterations they didn't seem to learn much from mechanics-wise.

Story and characters are gonna carry this one for me if I make it to the end. Basic shit like movement is straight out of 2002 :lol

sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »
The issue with the water controls when you are underneath the water is that you have to just point in a direction and press the swim fast button. If you try to push up or down while doing that, it gets weird because your character will start flipping around. It's actually a relatively easy fix if they wanted to do it.

I don't really think its getting a free pass. I think most of us acknowledge the controls are kinda crap in a lot of situation. I just think the other stuff outweighs the janky controls in the same way that I feel assassin's creed and GTA tend to get passes in the same way because the amount of content. Hell the same for bethesda games which also control terribly.

It's pretty clear the animation system and general movement need to be a big priority in the next iteration.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2015, 11:08:32 PM »
so
much
content

:noah

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #501 on: May 22, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »
Yeah, I'll definitely give them credit where it's due. The writing is decent and they flesh out everything, the acting doesn't make me cringe, and there's a shitload of stuff to do. I just wish they'd make it more fun and less of a hassle to do.
sup

Cheddahz

« Reply #502 on: May 22, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »
I went into the game knowing that it wasn't going to be the best "gameplay" game ever and you know what? The writing in the game makes up for it

Stoney Mason

« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2015, 11:26:50 PM »
I think we all have a slightly different barometer of jank versus quality and what we are willing to accept on that sliding scale.

The thing is coming after Dragon Age Inquisition, this is exactly what I wanted. That's a game that has all the polish but loses its soul imo. Still a good game. Still very enjoyable.

But Witcher 3 is just what I wanted from Inquisition so it hits all the right marks for me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
I think we all have a slightly different barometer of jank versus quality and what we are willing to accept on that sliding scale.

Yeah, I mean, one of my favorite games of all time is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and that's one of the most busted games ever. If there's some really cool stuff hiding underneath the jank, the jank doesn't bother me too much.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2015, 11:45:48 PM »

The thing is coming after Dragon Age Inquisition, this is exactly what I wanted. That's a game that has all the polish but loses its soul imo. Still a good game. Still very enjoyable.

But Witcher 3 is just what I wanted from Inquisition so it hits all the right marks for me.

Big difference for me so far is the side stuff has been staying with me a lot longer here. By time you go through 2 or 3 areas in DA:I I started mainlining the storyline quests. Here I'll start the main quest, lose two hours to it, get on my horse to turn it in/go talk to someone else to continue it but wait a minute why are these dudes trying to burn this hou-
*8 hours later*
Now I'm in a boat sailing to an island for another secondary quest and I still haven't spoken to the person I got on my horse to.

« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »
triss is the bulma of the witcher universe

my ride or die chick  :mynicca

BrokenVerses

« Reply #507 on: May 23, 2015, 01:27:11 AM »

Big part of it too is the monsters in this aren't just monsters. There's usually some mythology behind them, typically a source of misery that birthed them. You have to deal with the griffon because of dickhead soldiers etc.

It really goes a long way towards making the experience feel like a cohesive world instead of a level where you can see the seams that instantly remind you it's a game. With Ubisoft and DA:I, while playing you get the feeling that someone diligently checked their spreadsheet and placed the approved amount of collectibles and level appropriate monsters in their assigned zone and then moved on. I don't think those games are necessarily bad or anything, they are just quite forgettable like the filler content they're stuffed with.

Jansen

« Reply #508 on: May 23, 2015, 02:39:23 AM »

lol these glitches man. i've also had cutscenes play twice in wild at heart and have come across rooms where all the loose items are in a pile but still moving around

i'm gonna hit a glitch that kills me from laughter i know it

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #509 on: May 23, 2015, 04:31:46 AM »
If I fuck one chick can I fuck the others no hassle?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I finished one Kiera side quest and am about to do another, found out that leads to poon town. Was wondering if the game pulls a Mass Effect where you can only go with one. Cause if so I'm going Yennefer all the way.
[close]

Also wondering >.>

Now that I've sat with the game a bit I finally figured out what game it reminds me of. Red Dead Redemption. Even down to how Geralt can only walk in wide circles  :lol

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #510 on: May 23, 2015, 06:46:24 AM »
While most of our comparison work was carried out using a Core i7 3770K system with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 780 Ti, we found that applying our learning in terms of console-level quality settings allowed us to get a decent gameplay experience with far more modest hardware. Running through the game using our preferred budget PC set-up, featuring a Core i3 4130 and an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, we found that we could achieve visual quality and frame-rates equivalent to the PS4 version of the game.

poor stanleys
itm

fizzel

« Reply #511 on: May 23, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
Any bone user here? does the game use rumble triggers?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #512 on: May 23, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
I did a quest today that was 4 levels too high, quest failed, some npc died and now another npc wont talk toe and sell me some river pass.

This is real rpging right here

No retrying no second chances just go with it

Stoney Mason

« Reply #513 on: May 23, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
I'm playing on xbox. Honestly, I can't remember. I don't think so...

The game does rumble a lot but rumble is confusing in this game as I'm never quite sure what its rumbling about.

I'll try to pay attention never time I play to confirm about the trigger stuff.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #514 on: May 23, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
that baron questline ending :hyper

can't savescum your way out of that one.

What's great about their world building and universe is that its so crafted

The whole point of Velen is that its this fucked land that has no protectors. So good and evil in the traditional sense don't work there at all. I tried to do that ladies in the wood quest in the "best", meaning most moral manner because I'm a nerd when it comes to roleplaying in these kind of games, but there is no "moral" way. And its not that way just to kind of fuck you. I mean it is, but it serves a larger story telling point about the world and specifically this area. Really good stuff.
[close]

I compare it to the ending of Dragon Age 2 where no matter what you picked both sides were crazy and it ends fucked which just felt stupid by comparison because it suddenly felt everybody was acting out character to achieve a plot goal. In the Witcher 3 it feels like people and places and decision are in character and that determines the plot instead.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #515 on: May 23, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
Now that I've sat with the game a bit I finally figured out what game it reminds me of. Red Dead Redemption. Even down to how Geralt can only walk in wide circles  :lol

Yeah, same here. Probably why I love this game so much compared to the old Witchers, which I found to be alright at best.

Definitely. Losing myself here in this like how I lost myself in mexico in RDR 

On Velen, what a miserable fucking place. Rains all the time, necrophages god damn everywhere. The Baron and other characters say it's a shit hole but it's actually reflected in the world too! Atmosphere! World Building!
:lawd

Cheddahz

« Reply #516 on: May 23, 2015, 03:01:47 PM »

fizzel

« Reply #517 on: May 23, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
I'm playing on xbox. Honestly, I can't remember. I don't think so...

The game does rumble a lot but rumble is confusing in this game as I'm never quite sure what its rumbling about.

I'll try to pay attention never time I play to confirm about the trigger stuff.

Controller rumbles when you're near an investigation spot or have been sprinting.

I'm using the bone controller on pc, dunno if anything support trigger rumble though.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #518 on: May 23, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »
:dead @ crooked betting on yourself in fistfights making you more money than a days hard work.

just like real life :neogaf
[close]

I felt really bad when that guy wanted me to throw it so he could eat

« Reply #519 on: May 23, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
"i'll pay ye double if you throw the fight"

"sure"

win anyway.

:miyamoto

i think you guys are going to like skellige btw.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #520 on: May 23, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it in 20 hours or so. I'm doing *everything*.

Part of me wants to sleep so I can be a decent human being, the bigger part wants to go to sleep so I have more time to play tomorrow.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: May 23, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Every time I look at the map of Velen, I'm kinda blown away by just how much of it I haven't been to yet.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #522 on: May 23, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »
Anyone find moon dust bomb recipe yet?

« Reply #523 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
Sirens are the best enemies ever.

They attack in swarms, rip your boat apart, and once you're stuck in the water, they dive and start pulling you underwater until you drown.

They're not particularly hard to deal with, but you can tell a ton of thought went into designing them.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #524 on: May 23, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »
:lol that painting of li'l ciri
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #525 on: May 24, 2015, 01:31:04 AM »
On the subject of The Witcher 3 vs. Dragon Age: Inquisition, I'd use the analogy that The Witcher 3 is the live-action HBO series and Dragon Age: inquisition is the Saturday morning cartoon.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #526 on: May 24, 2015, 01:40:32 AM »
I'd agree with that. And tonally I think I appreciate both of them. I mean I think the Mass Effect series is cartoony also but I like it too. I think the next Dragon Age will be better just because structurally they will copy some of the stuff that Witcher is doing better when it comes to gameplay.

A real open world alone would have done wonders for Inquisition.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #527 on: May 24, 2015, 01:53:37 AM »
Eel will appreciate this video:

dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #528 on: May 24, 2015, 02:02:54 AM »
Nobody answered my question about banging :goty

It's Witcher, bro, just get your witch on.

At some point in the game you have to choose between Triss and Yenefer, and Yen will know if you kept Triss on the side behind her back. So, just keep that in mind while you're playing.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:08:30 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

sarslip

« Reply #529 on: May 24, 2015, 07:05:33 AM »
witcher thread longer than the bloodborne thread  :whoo

complete opposite over at gaf  :ohhh

bore recognize greatness  :rejoice

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #530 on: May 24, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Think it also has to do that the bore is Xbox amd pc centric and also many people here dont want to git gud for BB.

Witcher 3 is amazing, but so is BB and the combat in BB the bbest

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #531 on: May 24, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »
Question re: the Baron's storyline/quests:

After turning the botchling into a lubberkin and figuring out where his wife/daughter ended up, I visited his daughter in Oxenfurt or whatever and then reported back to the Baron. Now he wants me to find his wife before coughing up the last bit of info on Ciri, but it just says "investigate and find the Baron's Wife" without any sort of map marker, so, uh, not sure where the fuck to start that. Anybody done this already?
[close]
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #532 on: May 24, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
No point really in talking whats better, different games, both amazing.

Witcher 3 is just dazzling me with how big it is right now.

cool breeze

« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
I'm slowly replaying witcher 2 because I don't have time to really sink into this until july-august.  all it's doing is making me want to play this more.  the only disappointing thing I'm reading is small text and no hud scale but I'm sure there will be a simple mod like there is for 2.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »
the only disappointing thing I'm reading is small text

Yeah I've read a lot of this too and I don't get it but then I play my console next to my computer the same distance away so its perfectly fine imo. I hate console UI that make shit gigantic so I really like that its a small PC like hud. I hope they just don't take it away and instead give an option for those who want it stay and then a tv version for people who are playing across the room on big tv's.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2015, 05:39:49 PM »
Oh, it scales, but not up. :lol

---

Some of the shit villagers say in this game...

"Sent my two picking mushrooms in the forest"
- "Alone!?"
"You know how it is, got too many mouths to feed."

That and the trail of treats shit. :holeup

On a related note, my obsessive scouring of the landscape is really highlighting just how few models there are. One day there'll be Speed NPCee middleware, and what a lovely day it will be. :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »

First time in Novigrad and I came across and beggar and thought for a second that the beggars were mages who hovered when they did it.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #537 on: May 24, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »
Im having trouble finding quests my level since I moved to Velen, am I always supposed to do quests above my level?

Or does green mean "try it"

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #538 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
No shit, I just got to Velen and I'm running my ass off away from everything I see. Witcher 3: Wild Coward
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #539 on: May 24, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Im having trouble finding quests my level since I moved to Velen, am I always supposed to do quests above my level?

Or does green mean "try it"

You can do anything in green technically as that means in range. In theory you could even do reds but you shouldn't because it gives you stuff often you won't be able to use and its tedious fighting a red monster and it destroys the durability of your weapons.

What I can tell is that you can just explore a bit and you will start finding stuff around your level. And do any sidequests or contracts you have first. It tends to lump near level stuff together although you will also find stuff above your level. Don't be afraid to explore and come across stuff over your level. Just run away from it. Its generally hard to die unless you just start running up to everything and start immediately fighting it. There are honestly probably way over 100 hundred things you can do between monster nests, random subquests, guarded treasures, caves, etc. that are level appropriate. You just have to explore around a bit.

Also remember you can go back to White Orchard to mop up any of the stuff that was over your level the first time you were there.

I thought the same thing the first time I went to Velen but just by kind of looking around and mixing in the main quests/sub quests I realized there is actually a ton of lower level content there. You just have to look for it. And just because you find a high level thing, it doesn't mean that there also isn't low level stuff around. It mixes in the high and low all over the place unlike other games where its all grouped within a small range.