Author Topic: Yet another GAF thread - I still haven't got over it :( (No spergfits allowed)  (Read 4267348 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Breh
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Rufus you won the World Cup yesterday but there's some heights you just don't go .
Wha?

Sometimes I forget why I don't visit the PoliGAF thread. Popped in, saw discussion is centered around 2020/2024 presidential candidates, got that reminder real quick.

The election-industrial complex is real brehs

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier

This whole dash-con nonsense makes me want to see a bore-con.
<コ:彡

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Sometimes I forget why I don't visit the PoliGAF thread. Popped in, saw discussion is centered around 2020/2024 presidential candidates, got that reminder real quick.

not much legislation to talk about since...we...know you.

And no one wants to talk policy unless a libertarian starts trolling. But then again earlier today there was an interesting conversation about the Iran sanctions.

parallax

(Image removed from quote.)

This whole dash-con nonsense makes me want to see a bore-con.

a large room with 15 people talking shit to each other?

not much legislation to talk about since...we...know you.

And no one wants to talk policy unless a libertarian starts trolling. But then again earlier today there was an interesting conversation about the Iran sanctions.

idk man there's so much happening in any given week internationally and domestically that I find it hard to buy any excuse for rehashing the same 2 presidential election conversations that always ever take place. None of the state political issues are picked up in the thread (unless it's Florida or Ohio!). Nobody talks about international politics outside of an immediate American foreign policy context (e.g. Iranian sanctions, ISIS, recent Gaza activity). Nobody reads any of the articles linked that take more than five minutes to read. At best there is some discussion of DOJ policy that falls outside the boundaries of your average CNN panel.

And that's like my biggest problem with it all. PoliGAF complains about CNN all the time but how often is that thread on repeat? How often is it [insert news from potentially close federal race ten months before the election]? How often is it generic Hilary isn't liberal/is too liberal/should run/shouldn't run? How often is it [insert lol Republican statement of the week]? It's the same trends. You can tell it's the same trends because whatever is the topic of the week on CNN, Fox, or MSNBC will set the agenda for PoliGAF as well. A significant chunk of the news is pulled straight from Maddow alone. It's an almost 1 to 1 relationship with a little Politico to keep it from being exact.

I skim the thread for stuff I haven't read elsewhere, and there is a lot of stuff posted (and generally ignored) that is really, really, really good and I wouldn't see in my normal circle. One of the best things I've read this year was a Miami water level article posted there. But the actual direction of conversation? It's CNN-lite. Which wouldn't be nearly so bad if the community didn't circle-jerk itself so hard over being above that level of discourse. I actually don't think there would be much wrong with it if it weren't for that element.

OTOH I don't contribute at all so it's not like I'm part of any solution.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
PoliGAF is a neutron star of Liberalism :piss2 It's to be expected.
bent

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
It's not like you two are bastions of conservatism.

xDollsbeepx

The only reason I ever preorder games is to start paying them off in advance. If I know a game is coming out I can throw 5$ down every now and then and then not be panicking to find 60$ or trade in things I should have kept just to get a fix of the new hotness.

99% of presale bonuses will more than likely be eventually sold separately.  I remember people paying more than the cost of of the game for some sort of Transformers multiplayer skins and then they were available for 5$ for all of them. Idiots. 

FStop7

Lots of bodies in the Cheating Girlfriend thread. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854725

Looks like maybe "cunt" = ban again?

StOoge's word on it:

Word isn't banned, but the intent behind the words usage here was bad.

Other mods always free to disagree with me.

Yeah, okay.  Considering the wild inconsistencies in moderation and policy on GAF I'll just as soon avoid those threads, entirely. 

Nothing like stifling discussion on your discussion forum because your rules are an undocumented, ever-moving target that vary in enforcement from mod to mod.

Adele is fat.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:17:01 PM by FStop7 »

Phoenix Dark

I guess it's the Devolution school of thought that women can't be held responsible for anything, are never in the wrong, and name calling of any kind is sexist and irresponsible.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
It's the politics as sports type analysis that's so common and popular. Notice how the makeup of who is posting changes whenever I dip a toe of political theory in and how the horse race regulars bemoan it.

Even the legal wrangling Metamorpheus was engaging in recently was just getting dismissed rather than engaged even if he is a bit fisky.

Any policy talk is just link wars to various "authorities" or worthless projections/data and any attempt to talk about actual foundational basis for policy decisions gets kicked back to "well, it's the only thing that can pass" type discussions.

So it's a sports thread where 98% of the posters favor or try to make everything about one team. It's like when that Vahagn guy redirected every BestGAF discussion into one about Kobe.

But what can you do but speculate about the hymens of 2064 candidates?  :yeshrug

FStop7

It's the politics as sports type analysis that's so common and popular. Notice how the makeup of who is posting changes whenever I dip a toe of political theory in and how the horse race regulars bemoan it.

Even the legal wrangling Metamorpheus was engaging in recently was just getting dismissed rather than engaged even if he is a bit fisky.

Any policy talk is just link wars to various "authorities" or worthless projections/data and any attempt to talk about actual foundational basis for policy decisions gets kicked back to "well, it's the only thing that can pass" type discussions.

So it's a sports thread where 98% of the posters favor or try to make everything about one team. It's like when that Vahagn guy redirected every BestGAF discussion into one about Kobe.

You're right, and man do people who engage in it get angry when they're called on it.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
But what can you do but speculate about the hymens of 2064 candidates?  :yeshrug

As they would be in '64 or are now? :leon #nocosmicblizzard
bent

Phoenix Dark

to be fair Metamorpheus...
:beli

benjipwns

The funny thing about the TPM/Maddow/Politico "expertise" is that it's basically just a skimming knowledge of anything outside the Beltway but acts like it knows everything about local races. I'm sure it's the same for others in their own neck of the woods and PD probably sees the same thing as me when people start talking about Michigan. But there's really a desire to fit everything into a national framework that can mirror Presidential elections. When Senate and especially House races, not to mention Governors or anything else, turn so much more on local factors than whatever hand Obama did or didn't shake this week.

What really irks me personally the most about popular political discourse, and PoliGAF is a great example, is how recent focused it is. Like 2008 forward anymore. And yet there's a constant parade of "most [whatever] EVER!" with none of the underlying historical knowledge to explain the relevance, it's only ever explained regarding the last two Presidential terms if that. A few weeks back you had a whole page of people talking about all these electoral/legislative trends or something that all break down the instant you go back past 2004 and more the further back you go. I think only one dude admitted that he only really started paying attention to politics after Bush-Gore.

As they would be in '64 or are now? :leon #nocosmicblizzard
When they're canonically of age.

Dennis

StOoge's word on it:

Yeah, okay.  Considering the wild inconsistencies in moderation and policy on GAF I'll just as soon avoid those threads, entirely. 

Nothing like stifling discussion on your discussion forum because your rules are an undocumented, ever-moving target that vary in enforcement from mod to mod.

Adele is fat.

Well, obviously with a word like cunt it would depend on context. Calling a fellow gaffer a cunt would probably be bannable if it is used as a clear insult.

And also saying shit like "All women are cunts!" There was just one banned for saying "All women are whore" or something to that effect.

Phoenix Dark

Most recently with Aaron Strife's blanket statements about Michigan and Kansas, or his dismissal of my point that polls don't describe the map - the map describes the polls. Michigan is dominated by republicans on a district level, yet is a blue state thanks to Wayne County (Detroit). Polls are going to be skewed here, which is why democrats always outperform the polls in state-wide elections, but republicans dominate in various small towns/cities.

Pigeon tends to make great policy posts...but only when people are discussing policy. Which is rare.

Dennis

Sometimes a mod can be weirdly trigger-happy.

One time I got banned for making a joke about a fellow gaffer who shows up in every Anita Sarkeesian topic with a lot of posts (positive of her I might add).

The stupid thing was that the gaffer and I are on friendly terms, and I was making a light-hearted joke that we should expect him in the thread soon or something like that.

I got banned for "calling out another gaffer".........

benjipwns

The posting of every single poll...well, mostly positive for D polls...and then discussing HOW THIS IMPACTS THE ELECTION NATIONWIDE is just weird considering how fast they'll dismiss polls they don't like the results of for all the same reasons you can kick out any single poll.

Yulwei

StOoge's word on it:

Adele is fat.

who cares dude

have you seen gaf as of late? it's aspie central in that fucking place. both gaming and ot have gotten like that. the mods need to go on a SA-styled purge before that forum becomes readable again

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
SA needs to go on a SA-styled purge.
reckt

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
Time for Bish to go on an awesome mowing frenzy, I still get shivers thinking about the creep shot thread  :-*

benjipwns

Purges for everyone! We'll start with the inner party!

king of the internet

• 🚽

StOoge's word on it:

Adele is fat.

who cares dude

have you seen gaf as of late? it's aspie central in that fucking place. both gaming and ot have gotten like that. the mods need to go on a SA-styled purge before that forum becomes readable again

Yep. They were probably all shitty posters that got banned anyways. If I was a mod I would sit down right now and permaban probably like 500+ posters.

jakefromstatefarm

Time for Bish to go on an awesome mowing frenzy, I still get shivers thinking about the creep shot thread  :-*
Can't wait to chemically castrate their IP addresses

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Purges for everyone! We'll start with the inner party!

You fucking noob, you start with the Old Bolsheviks first. :beli

benjipwns

Excellent. I was looking for "volunteers" to show their loyalty.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country Party.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
Good game, Kraftwerk:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
EviLore: "....Bish?"

Bish: "...Hm?..."

EviLore: "..B...Uh....I mean....Biii..Bish, could you... Uhm... Will you take off...your...clothes...for me....?"

Bish looked up, while still nuzzled into EviLore's hairy manly chest so much that looking up didn't really do anything much, and nuzzled into his chest a bunch more.

Bish: "Okay!" Bish said cheerfully. He still didn't understand that much about the purpose of clothes or about sexual things.

He layed down on the bed on his back, as EviLore admired it, being all anxious and excited and nervous about it.

Bish: "Uhm..." Bish looked the other way embarrassed. "But like I was trying to say, I... think I had an accident in my...underwear...uhm..." Bish's eyes were closed in frustration as he was embarrassed about saying that and worried about his reaction.

EviLore: "That's okay! I want to see..your whole body!" He said happily and excited still, knowing the wet spot was really from the time earlier. You know, the time when this was really really weird, before this suddenly weirdly became dead serious.

Bish: "O-..Okay!...." He took His shoes off, along with his socks. Then he blushingly and embarrassedly slid his shirt off of his shoulders, sliding it down. He cutely slid his legs in the air while layin on his back, sliding his shirt off. EviLore was staring HARD at Bish's chest with his erect phallus suddenly completely up, shocked at seeing it. Bish was flaccid, but with very very small budding bumps by his..nipples..which speaking of that, that's what EviLore was freaking out over.. Bish's little pink nipples standing up, as his upper self was all nude in front of him. Then EviLore galped and felt like he died for a second, as he then payed attention and noticed Bish sliding his underwear down, and then up in the air where his legs were lifted, and finally down to the top of his feet.

Before Bish could slide his underwear off of his feet, EviLore pounced him down.

EviLore: "B-B-B-B-b-bb..b..b..ii.ii..is...Bish..."

Bish: "Huh...??"

EviLore's whole body was shaking. He couldn't handle it, his body was freaking out. He never felt so weirdly excited. Bish was naked. And he didn't see his slit yet, since he only had a side view when Bish's slid his underwear off, and EviLore is looking at his face right now.

EviLore: "B-..B-b-b-b-...I mean.. Uh...!!!.. Uh!!... C-....Can I touch...???"

Bish blushed and moaned...

To be continued.....................
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bish: "Huuuh...?" He blushed and her face turned sideways, but his eyes still looked at him from below. "Yes.. You may...."

EviLore: "UHM...!!..." EviLore sat down next to him instead. He needed to calm down, he realized himself finally.

Bish : "...!" Bish's eyes looked in amusement down toward his crotch. Suddenly, he had a long rod there.

EviLore : "U...Uhhhhh!!!!!!!" Tails said that in a type of weird moan noise, as his eyes closed, his rod shacked, and pre-cum drooled down his rod.... "I..I-i...Want you...!"

Bish : "What's that?"

EviLore: "M-my boy part.. You have..your part down there.. and I have that... It feels really good when touched.. A-and junk.. Eh heh..."

Bish was cutely bent over Naked on the bed with EviLore distracting himself with Bish's tattoo above his cute rear end, as EviLore was looking very amused at Bish's pink rod. He poked it.

EviLore: "Heh heh!... Huh...? Y-you can... Play with it if you want.. Er... T-that'd be nice if you did, I mean.. Uh.. May you...? Bish..." EviLore said while nervous and shaking a little less, trying to see his rear or anything, but couldn't because he was bent over to the side of him. "Sorry.. I-I'm nervous... B-but please do..." EviLore said while still shaking.

"W-Wait....WAIT....AWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BISHHHHHHH!!!!" Before he knew it, Bish was tasting his rod, he had her eyes closed as his rod was going deeper and deeper into his mouth.

Bish: "..'uh?" Bish was trying to say while his rod was in her mouth.

EviLore : "P-P..PLEASE...AH...DO IT MORE...AH..PLEASE...uuuuUUUUUUGH....."

Bish : "..'ou 'ean 'ike 'is?" Bish tried saying more while it was in his mouth, as Bish TIGHTENED his little cute mouth entrance around his thing, tightening and TIGHTENING against EviLore's very, very sensitive rod, and Bish slid his tongue down it, as it rubbed more and more against the bottom of EviLore's hard shaft as it kept crawling and crawling down his rod.

EviLore: "....UHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BISHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! UuuuuuuGHHHH!!!" EviLore started pushing it into his mouth more, all as Bish tightened his mouth entrance even more against his thing so that it was even tighter to slide through, as it rubbed in and out of his tightly closed mouth that contained his tongue wetly crawling all around his rod, all over the place, rubbing and rubbing his red rod with his tongue cutely, not even knowing what she's doing.

"GAAAAH....!!!!" EviLore PUSHED his rod hard through the tight entrance all at once and poured a loooooooooot of his mod-juice into his mouth. It kept coming and coming out.. All while it was in his mouth with his tongue cutely rubbing around the underneath side of his rod, doing it as the mod-juice until it fills his mouth too much. He then slides his mouth back as his rod pours more on his lips and all over his mouth and face, as mod-juice drools out of his mouth as it's barely able to contain it

There was mod-juice all over the place. EviLore and Bish were laying on the bed.

Bish : "So much cleaning to do....I better get started"

EviLore: " You stay right there...I know what to do"

EviLore whistles, and Mumei walks in with a chain. The chain is attached to a pregnant Benedict Cumberbatch. His hands are tied to his back, and he is wearing an old victorian gimp outfit made form lamb skin. Mumei kick Benedict Cumberbatch in the legs, and he falls down. He then starts cleaning the mod-juice. And no, he isnt provided with a scrub or wash-cloth. Just his tongue....

EviLore then claps his hands twice.

Besada enters, wearing a neon pink maid outfit, with the shortest skirt in existence.

Besada : "Yes my sire?"

EviLore: "Master needs feeding......"

Besada : "What would master desire today; the usual?"

EviLore "Yes"

Besada : "as you wish. "

Besada proceeds to drink a bottle of laxative.

Bish: " That will take a while...now what?"

EviLore: " Ready for round 2?"

Bish blushes, and lets out a loud scream of joy: " uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~~~~~~~"

[close]

Dennis

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
We gaffing it up in here  :patel

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
SA needs to go on a SA-styled purge.
They have a 'golden week' every so often where they don't do probations for shit and just ban everyone, I usually opt to not post at all during said weeks! :teehee
Hi

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
You jokers realize the problem isnt with the posters but the tone and leadership of the forum yeah?

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
You jokers realize the problem isnt with the posters but the tone and leadership of the forum yeah?

Nonsense, most of the mods are actually alright people.
They're pretty normal when you get down to it, they're even mods here for a reason.

Even if your issue is with Tyler, you gotta admit the man has matured the last couple of years - he's got an actual life, I highly doubt he does much in regards to the day-to-day operations of neoGAF.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:39:32 PM by Squiddy »

Broseidon

• Estado Homo

agreeing with a momo post rn
bent

Kara

agreeing with a momo post rn

An ancom agreeing with vanguardism.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Actually, I think it's not even that.  It's size.  Find me any board of NeoGAF or SA's size that isn't fucking terrible and I might start thinking otherwise.  Until then, I'll stick with my theory that x% of any group of people are going to be insufferable, and the larger the whole gets, the greater the chance that the idiots will have large enough numbers to effectively shit up most conversations.
I know you hate the topic, but the onemanga forums, before they were migrated used to have thousands online at the same time, and the worst it ever got were random scufflings over OTPs. I just checked the new place has 700 people online at the moment, but I really have no desire to look further. Also the pairing tards were isolated to their own little sloppy corner of the forum.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I do agree it becomes difficult with size, but that's why you have to set the right tone off the bat and be consistent. you also have to host a more inclusive environment, the moderator dictatorship thing has never ever worked on a forum afaik. You let your forumites set the rules in broad terms and refine upon that, you'd be surprised how well good communities self regulate. I dont think GAF is unsavable, but the first thing they would have to do is start actually discussing moderation policy,(make a little faq section where people can ask questions and answer publicly) and making an appeals area for banned users to potentially explain what happened. Yes it's more to do, and yes to some staff it's like sipping piss but I know it works.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:10:56 PM by Momo »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Your users are your customers, not your subjects. moderation policy is absolutely failing if it pisses off users consistently, its supposed to serve users. Like I said before, I'm a terrible mod, but I've observed some of the very best at work so I'm not oblivious as to how to run a big community  :yeshrug

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
It's so cute when Momo goes all "forum expert"

Himu

Not to mention most of the good SA boards are huge and don't devolve into what gafs discussions do. Comparing SA's game forum to GAF's is night and day. I think it's definitely a size issue, but it's also a staff and board organization issue. They have too few mods to monitor two huge boards. At this size, GAF would be better off with seperate sub forums: a gaming forum with specific sub forums per type (ie Nintendo forum, Sony forum, MS forum and allow trolling and gamefaqs Esque ONLY vapidity in those forums and not in the main games forum), a general talk forum, a music forum, an anime forum, a tv forum, a film forum, a book forum, a sports forum. All with their own rule sets to pertain to each forums niche. Fill all of those forums up with 3-5 assigned staff members per forum.

With just two forums, gaf becomes too congested, but it also gives the staff a lot more work and they can't possibly see everything that goes on. Cut the forum into bite sized chunks for specific niches, and you will get staff experts for every niche, which will lead to less trolling, higher quality posting because each mod actually gives a fuck about their forums rep.

As it is, gaf's current structure is antiquated and archaic. A relic of old 2000's gaf, and I don't mean neogaf but Gaming Age Forums, before the forum hit the big time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:25:27 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
It's so cute when Momo goes all "forum expert"
It's so cute when you seemingly get upset or butthurt that I used to do this as a thing. If you dont give a fuck about what I have to say when I am trying to genuinely post about my long experiences doing the role, then you can shut the fuck up instead of being an ass about it.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Not to mention most of the good SA boards are huge and don't devolve into what gafs discussions do. Comparing SA's game forum to GAF's is night and day. I think it's definitely a size issue, but it's also a staff and board organization issue. They have too few mods to monitor two huge boards. At this size, GAF would be better off with seperate sub forums: a gaming forum with specific sub forums per type (ie Nintendo forum, Sony forum, MS forum and allow trolling and gamefaqs Esque ONLY vapidity in those forums and not in the main games forum), a general talk forum, a music forum, an anime forum, a tv forum, a film forum, a book forum, a sports forum. All with their own rule sets to pertain to each forums niche. Fill all of those forums up with 3-5 assigned staff members per forum.

With just two forums, gaf becomes too congested, but it also gives the staff a lot more work and they can't possibly see everything that goes on. Cut the forum into bite sized chunks for specific niches, and you will get staff experts for every niche, which will lead to less trolling, higher quality posting because each mod actually gives a fuck about their forums rep.

As it is, gaf's current structure is antiquated and archaic. A relic of old 2000's gaf, and I don't mean neogaf but Gaming Age Forums, before the forum hit the big time.
They dont need all this, they simply need to re-add the 'report this post' function. Your community will point out all the problematic things to you in no time. Instead of having to wholesale deal with 15k users now, your biggest headache is the 5 - 10 people that will over report.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Lol hunny I'm not upset. You is clearly mad tho.

Less serious plz

Himu

For example. If the anime thread were instead an anime FORUM and had like five good staff members modding it and not just duck and shouta and I dunno, maybe besada. The whole Loli gate thing could possibly have been contained years ago, because instead of having to deal with everyone in the same thread, people can go to their own interests in a forum, and duck won't have to tell people that people don't want to see stupid Loli crap in one thread. With an anime forum, people could have ignored the Loli shit if they don't care about it, and then if it gets out of hand, duck can kill that shit in the bud without offending many people.

The poli gaf situation is another example. With a thread, everyone is stuck with each other and it becomes a circle jerk. Make it a poligaf forum, and people will start to make threads for just about anything. They may even grow their audience because poligaf seems too intimidating for outsiders but a forum could allow separate views.

Having two main forums is for a forum like ours. That tight knit small forum where everyone knows everybody.

At gafs size , i have no idea why they haven't expanded yet. I would have done it in 2007 if I owned gaf and the quality would have improved because of it.

But that's none of my business.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Lol hunny I'm not upset. You is clearly mad tho.

Less serious plz
I dont like when I actually try and put effort in to get troll carded, but I guess I cant complain since I do the same and rarely even spell correctly

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I'm sorry Momo, I didn't really realize you'd be so upset about that comment. I have no doubt you know your shit, it's just funny to me when people start being that earnest about GAF. That place is turrible

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
For example. If the anime thread were instead an anime FORUM and had like five good staff members modding it and not just duck and shouta and I dunno, maybe besada. The whole Loli gate thing could possibly have been contained years ago, because instead of having to deal with everyone in the same thread, people can go to their own interests in a forum, and duck won't have to tell people that people don't want to see stupid Loli crap in one thread. With an anime forum, people could have ignored the Loli shit if they don't care about it, and then if it gets out of hand, duck can kill that shit in the bud without offending many people.

The poli gaf situation is another example. With a thread, everyone is stuck with each other and it becomes a circle jerk. Make it a poligaf forum, and people will start to make threads for just about anything. They may even grow their audience because poligaf seems too intimidating for outsiders but a forum could allow separate views.

Having two main forums is for a forum like ours. That tight knit small forum where everyone knows everybody.

At gafs size , i have no idea why they haven't expanded yet. I would have done it in 2007 if I owned gaf and the quality would have improved because of it.

But that's none of my business.
The many forums thing can also have the opposite effect and cause people to post less because the forum posting rate is slower and the many sub forums seem intimidating. I dont think separating it out too much is a good idea, but I do agree with you that perhaps its time for them to have a conversation about the structure of the forum. I definitely think anime and sport should be separated out into their own sub-forums as these communities have very different norms than the rest of the people. for example.

It's also time to kill the two community forums, come on guys what on earth were you thinking there :hitler

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I'm sorry Momo, I didn't really realize you'd be so upset about that comment. I have no doubt you know your shit, it's just funny to me when people start being that earnest about GAF. That place is turrible
I dont particularly care about GAF admin/moderation so much as I care about something I used to do. If you were a former chef and you went to a restaurant that served you sauteed shit, I'm sure you'd have a lot to say.

Himu

Cause people to post less? I find that it's quite the opposite. For a forum of gafs size, I think posting less isn't much of an issue. Multiple forums and subforums isn't intimidating at all, and you eventually find your groove. It's also much better than having a billion users posting on only two main forums. On the gaming side these days, usually if you refresh you'll have a whole different group of threads in five minutes time. Hell, these days, if you post in a thread in the morning, chances are it'll be on page 10 by the evening. How do you moderate something like that? The more users gaf gets, the worse the quality will plummet if it sticks with only Gaming and OT forums. I'd say being intimidating is a lot better than being impossible to moderate.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:46:45 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Talking about slicing the board into sub boards is essentially agreeing that size *is* the problem.  When you make sub boards there tends to be a very small amount of users who post in every board, effectively making one big board into several smaller ones.  Lore is opposed to this idea, so we're left with the size problem.

I'm not a pedo so I don't know about onemanga, but with SA, even with dividing into a shit ton of sub boards *and* requiring you to pay to post, it was barely more tolerable than GAF.

Large groups of people make for shitty communication.  It's a fact of life.
Again. slicing it is one possible solution, I dont agree it's the only solution. Like a said before, add a report post button, make moderation policy discussable in some sub section to make users aware and to give them a say in policy. sit back watch people snitching on each other day in day out. Self policing works, you'll just have to deal with a couple of report trolls and may have to add 6 more mods to investigate reports short term. Long term reports get less as the community regulates itself.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Cause people to post less? I find that it's quite the opposite. For a forum of gafs size, I think posting less isn't much of an issue. Multiple forums and subforums isn't intimidating at all, and you eventually find your groove. It's also much better than having a billion users posting on only two main forums. On the gaming side these days, usually if you refresh you'll have a whole different group of threads in five minutes time. Hell, these days, if you post in a thread in the morning, chances are it'll be on page 10 by the evening. How do you moderate something like that? The more users gaf gets, the worse the quality will plummet if it sticks with only Gaming and OT forums. I'd say being intimidating is a lot better than being impossible to moderate.
IGN and Gamefaqs boards immediately put a lot of people off with the millions of sub sections. I was a poster on a lifestyle board (cooking)  that got split into many little sections and the posts dried up in about a year, granted there were only like 5k users, but it was a noticeable shock. One needs to be very careful with this.  I've also heard it work for other forums, so it depends on the community I guess. I cant really read the GAF community so idk which would be better.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
GAF is just tumblr-lite mixed with Reddit-lite and a little bit of 4chan-lie sprinkled in to make the "nexus" of videogame forums or whatever.

GAF is fine by me, I just subscribe to certain threads and follow what I really give a shit about. Usually it's fine. Not really that bad, the idiots are people I get to laugh at and that's it. I think having the bore around made GAF a bit more tolerable since I spend most of my forum time here.
I didnt even know I needed the bore until I found it. This place has put a lot in perspective for me :lol  Subs ftw, one of vb's finest features.

I guess there won't be many nominations for the 2014 NeoMod awards?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

I guess there won't be many nominations for the 2014 NeoMod awards?
Huh, no I don't necessarily blame the moderation team, you guys do good work for the most part where you can. I just don't think the board is best setup to allow you to do what you do efficiently and with the least amount of hassle. I absolutely do think as a moderation team you have a tonal and policy problem though.

EDIT: You wanker, I just realized this is also funny because im not getting unbanned :lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:16:57 PM by Momo »

Himu

IGN and Gamefaqs boards immediately put a lot of people off with the millions of sub sections. I was a poster on a lifestyle board (cooking)  that got split into many little sections and the posts dried up in about a year, granted there were only like 5k users, but it was a noticeable shock. One needs to be very careful with this.  I've also heard it work for other forums, so it depends on the community I guess. I cant really read the GAF community so idk which would be better.

That's because they have too many forums.

Forums like PA and the Coli have a sizable audience and have multiple forums. And no one is intimidated by it because they offer just the right number.

When I say have multiple forums, I don't mean like 20-30 of them. At most there should I guess, 10-12 of them (Gaming, Your System Sucks trolling grounds, General Off Topic forum, Music forum, Anime forum, TV forum, Sports forum, Film Forum, Book Forum, Poligaf Forum, Art Forum, Psychoanalysis gaf I'm being suicidal/break ups/depression forum).
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Combine TV, Book, Music and Film into 'Entertainment'  and sure you have my vote. I'm not opposed to the sub forum system, in fact it's what I'm used to.

Himu

Sure. Combining could work too. Point is, you'll have more mods. Your mods will be less worked and pay attention exclusively to their niches. OT won't be swamped with GAF I'm depressed threads because they'd have an actual forum for that. Gaming won't have stupid Kaz crap, because that stuff would go in Your System Suck Ass, and if it ever ventured in Gaming forum proper, it'd be bannable. Sports threads like NBA thread can get their mojo back, because by seprating them from the rest of the forum, they now operate by their own line of rules and no one can care if NBA gaf is full of meanies, and Duckroll won't be able to give a fuck because he doesn't mod the Sports Forum anyways. Sounds more enjoyable and readable already!
IYKYK