Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 169325 times)

Bebpo

Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #1020 on: September 22, 2023, 02:35:37 PM »
They finally arrested that American streamer who goes around harrassing people

What were they doing?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1021 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:32 PM »
Yelling at people on a train about how he was going to Hiroshima them, blasting music, being innappropriate with passersby, etc. Basically being intentionally controversial in an attempt to piss people off and muster attention. And this is over the course of weeks.

Bebpo

« Reply #1022 on: September 22, 2023, 09:55:23 PM »
Yelling at people on a train about how he was going to Hiroshima them, blasting music, being innappropriate with passersby, etc. Basically being intentionally controversial in an attempt to piss people off and muster attention. And this is over the course of weeks.

I wonder what kind of sentence that will land him.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1023 on: September 23, 2023, 06:10:21 AM »
I like Gundam Versus. Imported those games on PSP and other systems. But every arcade is just Gundam Versus and rhythm games. Once in a while I see a Jojo game that more or less looks like Gundam Versus. On the off chance there’s an arcade with old machines, it’s Tetris and a bevy of strip mahjong games. If I haven’t learned mahjong across the 10+ RGG games, I never will.

Coax

« Reply #1024 on: September 23, 2023, 07:02:47 AM »

An interesting counter-tactic that Japanese Twitter posters were using against this guy, which I found via a video on the topic, was repeatedly saying his full IRL name out loud when encountering him which he didn't like and it's claimed he'd censor the audio (idk how that'd work for livestreams).

Apparently there have been some copycat streamers doing similarly stupid stunts. Maybe it'll die down after the arrest.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1025 on: September 23, 2023, 08:25:53 AM »
The first one I remember hearing of was the British kid 'Mizzy' who would wander into random people's houses or jump on people/their cars and post it on TikTok, and then of course he tried playing the race card (good luck trying that in Japan though...)

It won't die down after the arrest this is just something we'll have to live with from now on. There's even a name for it- Cloutrage. As in clout + outrage.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1026 on: September 23, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »

I wonder what kind of sentence that will land him.

It's Johnny Somali.  He got arrested for trespassing-

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230922/p2a/00m/0na/047000c

I never heard of the guy until recently when this video of him and his camerman getting punched started making the rounds.

ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1027 on: September 24, 2023, 02:58:39 AM »
It's Johnny Somali.

That's not what I call him.

:patel

Ismael Ramsey Khalid. And he's not even from Somalia, he's from Nigeria. But I guess "Johnny Nigeri" sounds a bit...

:ufup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1028 on: September 24, 2023, 04:44:22 AM »
He’s an American, sadly, from what I read.

I’m happy he got punched. Camerman too.  Fuck ‘em.

They were trespassing on a construction site, got caught. The police were exceedingly patient with previous altercations. I hope they weren’t this time. Japan has a close to 99% conviction rate, and they can be detained for just over 3 weeks while questioned, and no lawyers during that time.

Fucked around, found out.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1029 on: September 24, 2023, 05:35:36 AM »
I’ve read a number of articles about how cruel the judicial system can be. And somehow two recent video games based around it. In this instance, think I’m for setting a harsh example to deter others.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1030 on: October 06, 2023, 07:41:36 PM »
Weather finally turned reasonable. Was able to break out a hoodie for the first time since May.

Seasonal matsutake mushrooms are being sold everywhere, but they're all from China and the local fear of their produce has seeped into me over the 2 decades I've lived here.

Happy to sleep under the covers again.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1031 on: October 07, 2023, 07:16:56 AM »
Yesterday was the first day I thought about wearing a jacket. Unprecedented!

Also, update on the internet speeds. It’s been dwarfed again. Think I said fast.com was hitting 600mb/s at a cafe. Already nearly 3x my home connection. Where I’m at, with an ethernet connection, it’s hitting a ridiculous 1.2gb/s. I didn’t think that was possible. Downloading a file is quicker than transferring from my 5400rpm external hdd.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1032 on: November 05, 2023, 04:44:35 AM »
Really amazing how the second it gets to a comfortable temperature, they crank up the thermostat on trains and all indoor spaces. Aging population and all that. I get it.

It’s the one thing I dislike about flying JAL. They keep the cabin toasty.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1033 on: January 22, 2024, 07:10:20 AM »
Aside from the odd weather, spending prolonged time here has been very pleasant. Genuinely could see moving here longer term should the opportunity arise. I know of people who respond bitterly, that there’s a honeymoon phase, leave after two years or whatever. From what I gather, some of it is career related, and some of it is the outsiderness turning sour, partially self inflicted because they don’t bother learning the language or etiquette. Neither is of particular concern for me.

If there’s anything, maybe a space issue? Definitely wouldn’t want to be in Tokyo, but any of the cities, hear houses are compact compared to western cities. Always fantasized about having a modest home gym. When I look at the types of home gyms people built here, they shove the equipment in what looks like a walk in closet. It’s the low ceilings more than anything.

Bebpo

« Reply #1034 on: January 22, 2024, 03:43:20 PM »
Aside from the odd weather, spending prolonged time here has been very pleasant. Genuinely could see moving here longer term should the opportunity arise. I know of people who respond bitterly, that there’s a honeymoon phase, leave after two years or whatever. From what I gather, some of it is career related, and some of it is the outsiderness turning sour, partially self inflicted because they don’t bother learning the language or etiquette. Neither is of particular concern for me.

If there’s anything, maybe a space issue? Definitely wouldn’t want to be in Tokyo, but any of the cities, hear houses are compact compared to western cities. Always fantasized about having a modest home gym. When I look at the types of home gyms people built here, they shove the equipment in what looks like a walk in closet. It’s the low ceilings more than anything.

If you're enjoying it, stick with it if you can visa-wise.
I balanced the pros & cons and didn't stick around long-term and idk, maybe that was the wrong decision. I wonder where my life would've gone if I stayed in Japan.

I'd totally buy a cheap rural house and move to Japan to retire except...visa. I run my own business so I can't just get a job at a Japanese company to sponser me.

From my limited experience having lived in the boonies (Aomori) and suburbs (Nagoya) and a lot of tourist trips to Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nagana and tourist sites, the main cons of living in Japan are:

-Lack of friends/family who are out of the country
-Lack of good worldly food variety
-Summer mushiatsui humidity is miserable if you're in certain parts; winter is killer if you're in other parts (Aomori had perfect summers, but winter was being snowed in for 4-6 months)
-Politics suck and are very conserative right-wing and always getting worse and more anti-foreigner (if you're white this doesn't effect you as much, but if you're non-white foreigner, it definitely can).

Pros are:
-very clean safe country
-amazing transportation
-people are pretty friendly
-food types that do exist are amazing and much higher quality food than you get in the states for example
-incredibly scenic nature always within reach
-cost of living isn't too extreme coming from the USA (can be cheaper or more expensive depending on the lifestyle you're coming from in the USA)

Neutral:
-Dating-pool wise you are very limited to dating Japanese people. This can be a pro or con depending on how you feel about the Japanese dating culture. This is less of a thing if you're already married by the time you move over.
-If you have tattoos, at least when I lived there it was still a lot of stigma, though I hear this is getting better and more accepted all the time
-Driving is super expensive because of road tolls, but it's also really relaxing because there's a lot fewer people on the road. Also completely optional due to the great public transportation.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1035 on: January 22, 2024, 09:56:52 PM »
Having lived in a small city (Kanazawa) and out in the sticks (Nakanotomachi)-

I think this one depends on where you live- more food variety is definitely a major advantage to being in Tokyo, Osaka, and the like. 

-Summer mushiatsui humidity is miserable if you're in certain parts; winter is killer if you're in other parts (Aomori had perfect summers, but winter was being snowed in for 4-6 months)

No central heating and air in homes is such a killer.
:stahp

-cost of living isn't too extreme coming from the USA (can be cheaper or more expensive depending on the lifestyle you're coming from in the USA)

Also depends on where you live for sure, but the apartment I was in (in KZ) was insanely cheap compared to the rent we had when we moved to the States and pretty a decent size.  Never felt cramped in there with 1-2 people.

-Driving is super expensive because of road tolls, but it's also really relaxing because there's a lot fewer people on the road. Also completely optional due to the great public transportation.

A car was a must where I was- otherwise you were pretty limited to where you could really go.  At the time I bought a used '96 Suzuki Alto in perfect condition that I never had a single problem with- it cost around $2000 so not too bad.  Shakken sucked though.

I think if I were to move back to the same prefecture, I'd probably go for KZ or at least a larger town, but there is some charm to being out in the countryside and you can get a larger place if you want that. 
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1036 on: January 28, 2024, 08:36:24 AM »
If you're enjoying it, stick with it if you can visa-wise.
I balanced the pros & cons and didn't stick around long-term and idk, maybe that was the wrong decision. I wonder where my life would've gone if I stayed in Japan.

I'd totally buy a cheap rural house and move to Japan to retire except...visa. I run my own business so I can't just get a job at a Japanese company to sponser me.

From my limited experience having lived in the boonies (Aomori) and suburbs (Nagoya) and a lot of tourist trips to Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nagana and tourist sites, the main cons of living in Japan are:

-Lack of friends/family who are out of the country
-Politics suck and are very conserative right-wing and always getting worse and more anti-foreigner (if you're white this doesn't effect you as much, but if you're non-white foreigner, it definitely can).

Pros are:
-very clean safe country
-amazing transportation
-people are pretty friendly
-food types that do exist are amazing and much higher quality food than you get in the states for example
-incredibly scenic nature always within reach

Neutral:
-Dating-pool wise you are very limited to dating Japanese people. This can be a pro or con depending on how you feel about the Japanese dating culture. This is less of a thing if you're already married by the time you move over.
-If you have tattoos, at least when I lived there it was still a lot of stigma, though I hear this is getting better and more accepted all the time

Visa wise, yeah, at least for the next couple of years it's not an issue. I'm musing on it because, there's couple week/month stretch where I have to head home, followed by some work travel. And there's like no home sickness or excitement or anything of the sort. Family and friend wise, I've had the opportunity to see them over here on a couple occasions. Longer term? yeah, it's complicated. But connection to the land and culture? not so much. The other instances of living abroad for extended periods, it was different. This has been weirdly comfortable.

I think in a lot of ways, whatever weeaboo fantasies that existed were entirely gone during my first trip. Within five minutes of going to Akihabara with friends, it was like wow this sucks. The few times I went back because friends wanted to see it, my opinion hasn't changed. So whatever outlook I have has been what it is, rather than what I wanted it to be.

Location wise, really been divided between Tokyo and Yokohama. Any other location was a couple days as travel. At least comparing those two, while Yokohama is by no means small or quiet, the time there was more relaxed. Preferred it. Obviously Tokyo is huge and there are very distinct areas. A number of those areas are avoid if avoidable. That extends to times as well. I'm grateful taking trains during peak hours wasn't a daily necessity.

Neutral aspects, honestly haven't given much thought to any of them. Maybe one day I'll wake up and want a tattoo of Willem Dafoe from Streets of Fire on my back. Time will tell.

Having lived in a small city (Kanazawa) and out in the sticks (Nakanotomachi)-

No central heating and air in homes is such a killer.
:stahp

What I read that sounds crazy is the lack of insulation on most houses and residence buildings.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: January 29, 2024, 10:54:05 AM »
I think in a lot of ways, whatever weeaboo fantasies that existed were entirely gone during my first trip. Within five minutes of going to Akihabara with friends, it was like wow this sucks. The few times I went back because friends wanted to see it, my opinion hasn't changed. So whatever outlook I have has been what it is, rather than what I wanted it to be.

Aki has become very touristy and a lot of the good older video game shops are long gone.  I still hit it (and Nakano Broadway) up looking for stuff when I go over there, but usually find less and less stuff I want every time.  It's too bad, because the first time I was there in 2001, it was absolutely amazing.  Arcades everywhere and game shops gallore with amazing prices- I came back with 50+ games on that trip.  All of this is long gone.  I ended up ordering some of the games I was looking for from Amazon.jp since hunting around for stuff was either futile or the prices for used games were the same as new ones online.  I did find a figure or two I wanted, but didn't buy because the boxes were massive and there was no way they'd fit in a suitcase. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:02:35 AM by bork »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1038 on: January 30, 2024, 06:24:54 AM »
In the early 2000s, Akihabara was my favorite spot in the entire world.

Used game shopping for hidden gems was so fun and the arcades rocked.
I still enjoy it, mostly just Traders and some of the anime/manga stores, and club Sega's still a decent arcade, and there's a nice gaming goods store a street back or so.

But yeah, if I was in Tokyo for a week in 2004, I'd probably stop by Aki almost every day for an hour or two. Now if I'm in Tokyo, I'll spend a morning one day there and then I'm good.

Also kind of related, but I've never been able to get into DenDen Machi in Osaka. Even back in the day. It's very retro focused and I was never into retro. In Aki I was generally browsing PS1/PS2 stuff during the PS2 era, meanwhile Denden was like Wonderswan and NES games.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1039 on: January 30, 2024, 07:08:26 AM »
A little jealous. The only areas I like now are the small shops to buy bespoke electronic parts. Couple streets past the maids and other weirdness.

On arcades, last I went taito hey was still pretty good but too crowded. Natsuge museum moved next to Mikado in Takadanobaba and focused in on pre-90s machines. Everything else around Akihabara is done or are standard crane/music/gundam spots. It is what it is. Even pre covid they were vanishing. The kawasaki warehouse was the greatest even if it was out of the way.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1040 on: January 30, 2024, 07:56:23 AM »
A little jealous. The only areas I like now are the small shops to buy bespoke electronic parts. Couple streets past the maids and other weirdness.

On arcades, last I went taito hey was still pretty good but too crowded. Natsuge museum moved next to Mikado in Takadanobaba and focused in on pre-90s machines. Everything else around Akihabara is done or are standard crane/music/gundam spots. It is what it is. Even pre covid they were vanishing. The kawasaki warehouse was the greatest even if it was out of the way.

I’m jealous that you made it to Warehouse in Kawasaki. It was on my list, but it shuttered before I made time for it. It looked amazing.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1041 on: January 31, 2024, 04:45:25 AM »
If you look online for pictures of it, most focus on the opening area that leans into the Kowloon aesthetic. Not many showing the main area. It was huge and spacious. Loads of cabinets from the 90s to 2000s. Everything was 50 yen.

Pretty sure many of the cabinets and boards ended up at hey and the two mikados. I remember going through slashout and dynamite deka ex. Now both showed up elsewhere. On games showing up at arcades, Gamshara is at one of them. Apparently it’s some Cabal sequel that wasn’t playable in mame until a couple months ago.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1042 on: February 09, 2024, 02:00:32 AM »
Was walking through Ueno park earlier and there was some event going on. They were blasting Hikaru no Go and Eureka Seven music. Felt some latent weebism surfacing. Walked to see what was up and saw a bunch of, I can only assume, otakus in a circle dancing to Bad Apple and God Knows. Yeah. Maybe I’m still able to be triggered by that era of the late 2000s.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1043 on: February 11, 2024, 04:02:58 AM »
I celebrated being American by having a regular hamburger at the local McDonalds. I celebrated being in Japan by having the Garlic and Black Pepper McNuggets with Garlic Chili sauce. I could also have had the Camembert Cheese sauce, but opted for what passes as maximum flavor at McD's.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1044 on: February 11, 2024, 06:19:29 PM »
might plan a vacation here. where do I find the best sushi?  8)

Polident Hive

« Reply #1045 on: February 12, 2024, 02:39:55 AM »
I celebrated being American by having a regular hamburger at the local McDonalds. I celebrated being in Japan by having the Garlic and Black Pepper McNuggets with Garlic Chili sauce. I could also have had the Camembert Cheese sauce, but opted for what passes as maximum flavor at McD's.

I haven’t brought myself to eating at McDonalds or KFC or whatever other type of fast food place people swear is way better here. Not even the cute Christmas ads could convince me.

Can’t remember if I already mentioned this. Couple weeks back I was really in the mood for tacos and people legit recommended Taco Bell. I’ve since gone to a couple places with solid tacos. No disrespect for living mas, but I imagine it’s like suggesting Panda Express to somebody looking for Chinese food. Or Olive Garden to somebody looking for edible food.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1046 on: February 12, 2024, 03:36:25 AM »
McDonalds has a few Japan-specific items, but anything offered abroad tastes exactly the same here, to me. Exception is that Apple Pie is still fried in Japan, and the ice cream machines never break.

KFC is garbage here, garbage in the USA. I get fucking FED on Popeyes whenever I am back in the USA.

I've had some decent tacos/burritos at some places. Osaka has El Zocalo and El Pancho, Kyoto has QUE PASA, from a local returnee who lived in SoCal. Good stuff.

Best thing I can say about Taco Bell in Japan is that they're clean, and when I was drinking they had beer andfrozen Sangria that was nice with the Live Mas menu.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1047 on: February 12, 2024, 06:51:24 AM »
The only comparable experience I have is with Denny’s, and it’s a stock family restaurant here versus the chain breakfast diner in the states.

An aside about arcades, I ended up in Akihabara earlier, and the main street which I actively try to avoid. Served as a reminder of why. But learned they turned the sixth floor of one of the several gigo buildings into a “retro arcade” tourist trap of sorts. Charging 200 yen for house of the dead and other nonsense. Still, it’s actually kinda cool. Many games that benefit from the hardware. Stuff like Lucky and Wild, Police 24/7, and Thunder Blade. There’s a corner with Outrun, Outrun 2SP, and Outrunners. Think they also took the Golgo 13 sniper game from the Asakusa batting center.

No idea how new it is but a number of games were in the process of getting set up. Maybe one day they’ll get an R360. That I’ll be willing to drop 200 yen on.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1048 on: February 12, 2024, 02:08:40 PM »
The only comparable experience I have is with Denny’s, and it’s a stock family restaurant here versus the chain breakfast diner in the states.

There's a few places like this that share the name but are otherwise completely different- Bob's Big Boy and Coco's, for instance.  I've never eaten at Coco's in the States but my friend told me that pretty much nothing was the same.
ど助平

Coax

« Reply #1049 on: February 13, 2024, 02:17:10 AM »
 :hmm

https://www.alojapan.com/53814/the-japan-times-gomi-pit-bar-waste-pit-bar-is-a-temporary-cocktail-bar-set-up-within-a-waste-d/

Gomi-Pit Bar (Waste-Pit Bar) is a temporary cocktail bar set up within a waste disposal facility as part of an initiative aimed at boosting awareness of environmental issues and waste disposal. Patrons came to enjoy the strange experience of tasting local beer and cocktails — made using honey-soaked mushrooms or locally harvested vegetables — while taking in the sight of garbage being sorted and prepared for incineration.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1050 on: February 14, 2024, 09:13:24 AM »

It's funny how I randomly started getting Japanese food vids the second I learned I might be heading to Tokyo for work later this year. Nothing extensive, it would be a few days at an overseas office sitting in on some meetings. If I get it I'll def have to hit somebody up there.  :doge

Polident Hive

« Reply #1051 on: February 17, 2024, 09:02:17 AM »
Been browsing some apartments/houses. Why does it feel the ultimate sign of luxury here is having two toilets. Not even two full bathrooms. There are some relatively large 4LDK going for several million USD… only one toilet. Some have more balconies than toilets.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1052 on: February 17, 2024, 09:06:38 AM »
 :gaas :trumps

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1053 on: February 21, 2024, 10:50:06 AM »
Been browsing some apartments/houses. Why does it feel the ultimate sign of luxury here is having two toilets. Not even two full bathrooms. There are some relatively large 4LDK going for several million USD… only one toilet. Some have more balconies than toilets.

There are some places that are ridiculously small to the point where I can't fathom how somebody would be able to comfortably live in there.  Like in this guy's channel: https://www.youtube.com/@usui503

This is the most bizarre one he's toured- the toilet being right there at the entrance :dead

You can poop n' cook at the same time.
:sicko
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1054 on: February 21, 2024, 10:51:41 AM »
Tokyo Lens has looked at some quirky places too:

ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1055 on: February 21, 2024, 07:55:09 PM »
I had a 5-tatami apartment in Mitaka for 6 months. The toilet and shower both occupied a 1m^2 footprint. The foyer/genkan also had its "kitchen" in it: a single electrical burner sitting on top of a mini-fridge, and a mini-microwave. Basically all stacked, half-in, half-out of the genkan's step-up. Literally possible to misstep and fall.

These places you've posted make all that look utterly sane.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1056 on: February 21, 2024, 09:06:28 PM »
I had a 5-tatami apartment in Mitaka for 6 months. The toilet and shower both occupied a 1m^2 footprint. The foyer/genkan also had its "kitchen" in it: a single electrical burner sitting on top of a mini-fridge, and a mini-microwave. Basically all stacked, half-in, half-out of the genkan's step-up. Literally possible to misstep and fall.

These places you've posted make all that look utterly sane.

The one-room dorm I lived in for a month in Tokyo was super-tiny, but even that seems OK compared to some of these places- it at least had space to put clothes!
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1057 on: February 22, 2024, 07:13:36 PM »
I’d like to think I could manage. But also think I’m lying to myself when the nearest reference was a college dorm over a decade ago.

On size and space, back home after months of using a 15 inch laptop screen. My 27 inch monitor has become overwhelming. I missed being able to multitask and zoom out.

Also doing a little math on my desktop cost and comparable components over there. Relatively trivial to build another desktop sans GPU. So, and this may be stupid, I’ll just travel with the GPU. The GPUs I’m eying are costlier than every other component combined.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1058 on: February 23, 2024, 10:01:26 AM »

And we got another one- what is this with toilets at the entrance and not in their own space?   :yuck

I’d like to think I could manage. But also think I’m lying to myself when the nearest reference was a college dorm over a decade ago.

I think I could do it assuming there's enough space for clothing storage a proper bed, and a decently-sized desk, mainly because just having a good PC setup is all I really need to entertain myself (and work) from home.  But always easier said than done.

On size and space, back home after months of using a 15 inch laptop screen. My 27 inch monitor has become overwhelming. I missed being able to multitask and zoom out.

Also doing a little math on my desktop cost and comparable components over there. Relatively trivial to build another desktop sans GPU. So, and this may be stupid, I’ll just travel with the GPU. The GPUs I’m eying are costlier than every other component combined.

Considered ditching a desktop altogether and getting a more powerful laptop? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:06:30 AM by bork »
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1059 on: February 23, 2024, 02:13:01 PM »
Think I’m way too picky to find my ideal laptop. Size, noise, cost, power, heat, etc. in the end it’s somehow more cost effective to build a desktop and get a new 14” laptop. Maybe not right away.

I’m not skilled or creative enough to make one myself, but I’d love something like this. Full desktop I could pop in a bag.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1060 on: February 26, 2024, 12:41:38 PM »
Think I’m way too picky to find my ideal laptop. Size, noise, cost, power, heat, etc. in the end it’s somehow more cost effective to build a desktop and get a new 14” laptop. Maybe not right away.

Recently I took my desktop PC in to a repair shop.  I was pretty sure the problem with it was the main SSD (and it was) and they cloned the drive and put a new one in for me.

Was without the desktop for a few days.  Not a big deal since my daily driver is another laptop anyway, but while the desktop wasn't there, I decided to try my Blade 14 on my OLED TV.  I've only ever used 4K devices on it- The Blade is made for 2K gaming.  But you know what?  It looked and ran great at 1440P on the TV!  It scaled so well that I couldn't even see a difference versus 4K.  Changed my whole outlook on things.  I  don't think I'd need say, a 4090 if I were to only have a laptop in my setup- the 4070 in this 14" laptop is fantastic and I'm continuously blown away by how well everything runs on it.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1061 on: February 26, 2024, 12:42:16 PM »

Just when you think he can't find anything worse, here comes another bizzaro apartment!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:57:57 AM by bork »
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1062 on: February 26, 2024, 02:22:29 PM »
Recently I took my desktop PC in to a repair shop.  I was pretty sure the problem with it was the main SSD (and it was) and they cloned the drive and put a new one in for me.

Was without the desktop for a few days.  Not a big deal since my daily driver is another laptop anyway, but while the desktop wasn't there, I decided to try my Blade 14 on my OLED TV.  I've only ever used 4K devices on it- The Blade is made for 2K gaming.  But you know what?  It looked and ran great at 1440P on the TV!  It scaled so well that I couldn't even see a difference versus 4K.  Changed my whole outlook on things.  I  don't think I'd need say, a 4090 if I were to only have a laptop in my setup- the 4070 in this 14" laptop is fantastic and I'm continuously blown away by how well everything runs on it.

The card I’m aiming for is the 4070 Super at around $600. It’s interesting to look at all the benchmarks and comparisons, where ti variant at +$200 gets 10 to 15 extra frames. But as is, every game seems to hit in the 80 fps range at 1440p with RTX and everything maxed.

I don’t play online shooters, certainly not competitively. That’s what the higher end stuff seems to target these days.

The main thing with laptops is the fan noise. My desktops have always focused on low noise. And when I bought this current laptop in 2019, it was considered a quieter option. But it gets annoyingly loud playing any game or doing any intensive tasks.

Think I’m sticking with Lenovo, but one of the 14” options with a lower end 4050 or 4060. Still need some power there. But for games and bigger tasks, I’ll put together a cheap desktop.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1063 on: February 29, 2024, 10:16:11 AM »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1064 on: February 29, 2024, 09:40:02 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/ImTheMainCharacter/comments/1b26699/main_character_teaching_us_how_to_ride_the_train/

Another idiot with a camera getting himself in trouble.

Because of Uchi/Soto mindset, fuckers like this just make everything more difficult for every other foreigner living here. I fucking hate them.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1065 on: March 19, 2024, 01:51:14 AM »
The Japanese yen at its weakest in decades means the tourists who wanted to come from 2019 onward have all shown up at once.

Den-Den Town in Osaka is overrun with tourists, plenty of mainland Asian types with full-sized check-in suitcases roaming the streets, clogging the aisles of tiny shops. There is no respite or break from these shambling idiots. I can only imagine what the already-touristy Akihabara must look like lately.

I am ever more likely to simply stay in my tiny town and appreciate the locals and our lack of attractions.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1066 on: March 19, 2024, 05:14:00 PM »
Was in Kyoto early last year, when it opened up but before the swell of tourism, and it was already oppressively crowded. I saw some headline yesterday about closing some places due to over-congestion.

Couple months earlier in late 2022 when vaccine notices were around, major areas of Tokyo were downright civil. Couple months later, by mid 2023, it was already worse than I’d ever seen pre COVID.

It’s a major consideration for where I’m looking. It’s too much.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1067 on: March 21, 2024, 05:52:55 AM »
It's just fucking insane. Japanese manners operate on reciprocity. The expectation is that "I'll be well-behaved, because you will as well." It's a fundamental conceit.

These tourists have managed to get Kyoto to put parts of Gion as off-limits to tourists, because they would accost the geisha and maiko like they had found Mickey or Minnie at Disneyland. Some places have started two-tier pricing for residents vs. tourists. Hawai'i has had that for ages, but it's a trip to see it here.

Few things make me feel as old as realizing how different it is here from 30 years ago.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1068 on: March 27, 2024, 01:34:29 PM »

This is like a PSA for the :expert crowd.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1069 on: March 27, 2024, 07:41:32 PM »
Even making cringe-at-cringe is still ultimately cringe.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1070 on: March 28, 2024, 08:20:08 AM »
Even making cringe-at-cringe is still ultimately cringe.

I'm not familiar with this guy, but this seems to be his schtick.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1072 on: April 02, 2024, 08:29:17 PM »
Saw they have a third Gundam in Fukuoka. Nu Gundam but regular blue accents instead of really dark navy blue (or light blue of hi-nu). Almost looks like Alex.

Coax

« Reply #1073 on: April 10, 2024, 04:04:38 AM »

Polident Hive

« Reply #1074 on: Today at 01:33:55 AM »
Talked about how bad Akihabara was months ago. It’s worse now. So much worse. It’s like shibuya scramble everywhere. I can’t imagine how bad those areas are.