Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 64408 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #781 on: January 22, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
©@©ô

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #782 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:59 AM »
Thread got bumped, I hoped I was going to read about a visiting borito, so I can add to my Borito Go! A Yum Brands Affliiate Game collection.

A wild Mr Gundam appears.
Chrono used beer!
It is super effective!

Beezy

« Reply #783 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:56 PM »
I wanna come back, but it's not really the type of trip that I can do yearly. :(

I wonder if it would be a mistake to go there for the 2020 Olympics?

« Reply #784 on: January 23, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
I wanna come back, but it's not really the type of trip that I can do yearly. :(

I wonder if it would be a mistake to go there for the 2020 Olympics?

Yes. Yes it would.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
Not a good idea if it's anything like how the Olympics were in the ATL in '96.

We might go this year for an overdue visit -my wife has a niece and nephew she's never met- but if not, 2021 or post-games 2020 it is, I guess. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:10:39 AM by bork »
ど助平

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #786 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:03 AM »
I'm going to be in Tokyo early November (after the rugby world cup cause fuck that) if any of you wanna meet up hollar at me

Bebpo

« Reply #787 on: January 28, 2019, 02:38:57 AM »
Iím gonna be in Japan when the leaves turn red this year. Was planning on going during hanami with friends but couldnít convince any of my friends to go so if Iím going solo I want a new experience and Iíve never been to Kyoto during the red fall foliage so thatís when Iíll go this year and take lots of photos.

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #788 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:52 AM »
September/October? There's going to be a rugby world cup so there will be south africans and australians everywhere .. and ... poms. Come with me in november :heart I'm going to Kyoto also

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #789 on: January 28, 2019, 06:14:43 AM »
I'm going to be in Tokyo early November (after the rugby world cup cause fuck that) if any of you wanna meet up hollar at me
:respect
PM sent.

« Reply #790 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
Iím gonna be in Japan when the leaves turn red this year. Was planning on going during hanami with friends but couldnít convince any of my friends to go so if Iím going solo I want a new experience and Iíve never been to Kyoto during the red fall foliage so thatís when Iíll go this year and take lots of photos.

Kyoto was gorgeous this past November. With that said book your accommodations immediately. That city was so ridiculously crowded, everything was sold out.
野球

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
I had a lot of fun with the ERA thread about Pierre Taki admitting to cocaine use but in all seriousness I had no idea that standard procedure for entertainment stars was to literally scrub all of their oeuvre from existence if it became public they did drugs.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:48:51 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

« Reply #792 on: March 15, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
I had a lot of fun with the ERA thread about Pierre Taki admitting to cocaine use but in all seriousness I had no idea that standard procedure for entertainment stars was to literally scrub all of their oeuvre from existence if it became public they did drugs.

I love visiting Japan but there is a lot of stuff I seriously take issue with over there.

The Abe government's attempts at silencing the domestic press and xenophobia toward non-whites and non-Japanese Asians sure are great.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #793 on: March 15, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »

I love visiting Japan but there is a lot of stuff I seriously take issue with over there.

The Abe government's attempts at silencing the domestic press and xenophobia toward non-whites and non-Japanese Asians sure are great.

And stuff like how they don't believe ADHD exists and have terrible archaic views on mental health issues and treatment of them, the war crime deniers, the horrible treatment of the native Ainu population, etc... I love a lot about Japan. Beautiful place with wonderful people, fantastic transportation, great food and lots of great artists/creators over there. But there's a lot of fucked up shit wrong with the country too.

I feel like if the average person in Japan in their 20s/30s actually were politically motivated it'd fix a lot, but the general feeling I've always gotten is that everyone under 50 is pretty apathetic towards politics in the country.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #794 on: March 15, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #795 on: April 17, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »
TIL there's going to be an Evangelion X Godzilla ride this Summer at Universal Osaka :o

G The Resurrected

« Reply #796 on: April 21, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »

I'm gonna be bringing the missus to Japan finally after years of thinking about it and not being able to make it happen for one reason or another. Gonna be going to Nagoya/Suzuka for Formula 1 in October. Then going to Osaka for a few days and a Kyoto day trip before heading to Tokyo for a week. Planning on going to Universal Japan and both Disney Parks while were there. So you locals or previous travelers let me know what's good and what to avoid.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #797 on: April 21, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
Wow, that'll be great! Depending on if I'm in Kansai or Kanto, it'd be great to meet for a beer or a meal.

Kyoto is gorgeous and elegant and slow paced. Osaka is outgoing, sometimes abrasive, and tasty food. Tokyo is an international city with just about everything except enough space to think.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #798 on: April 22, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
ど助平

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #799 on: April 28, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Can you reserve tickets at a Loppi machine in Tokyo for a restaurant in Osaka? How does that whole system work?

I want to eat at a character cafe at least one of my days there, but it seems their system relies on Lawson loppi machines.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #800 on: April 30, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
Can you reserve tickets at a Loppi machine in Tokyo for a restaurant in Osaka? How does that whole system work?

I want to eat at a character cafe at least one of my days there, but it seems their system relies on Lawson loppi machines.

Zero idea. You'd have to be more specific before I can even check.

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #801 on: May 03, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »

I spoke with somebody I know, and it seems that I have to make a reservation through a system and that I have to log into one of their machines and fill out the rest. After finishing that up, I'd just get a ticket printed out.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #802 on: May 04, 2019, 07:25:13 AM »

I spoke with somebody I know, and it seems that I have to make a reservation through a system and that I have to log into one of their machines and fill out the rest. After finishing that up, I'd just get a ticket printed out.

Sounds like a PITA. Why not go to one of the million other great restaurants in Osaka?