Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 169060 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 26, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
Bombard away. I love my adopted country, but my knowledge is largely limited to Kyoto and Osaka, where I've lived.

Beezy

« Reply #601 on: November 26, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »
Bombard away. I love my adopted country, but my knowledge is largely limited to Kyoto and Osaka, where I've lived.

1. How much japanese do I need to know? Will I be okay just knowing beginner level shit?
2. Is the train system easy to understand? Is it affordable?
3. What's a good budget for 2.5 weeks? Should I exchange money here or in Japan?
4. What should I do/see in Tokyo? What's a good amount of time to spend there?
5. Where's the nightlife? I'd like to visit at least one hip hop or reggae/dancehall club.
6. Where should I visit besides Tokyo? It would be cool if I could visit temples, shrines, more country or small town areas, etc.
7. What restaurants do I need to try?
8. Where's that giant Gundam located?
9. Would you have any time to hang out with me? :-[

...that's what I can think of so far. Thanks chrono. I haven't booked my flight yet, but I'm aiming for March 12th to April 1st.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #602 on: November 27, 2017, 03:36:01 AM »

1. How much japanese do I need to know? Will I be okay just knowing beginner level shit?
2. Is the train system easy to understand? Is it affordable?
3. What's a good budget for 2.5 weeks? Should I exchange money here or in Japan?
4. What should I do/see in Tokyo? What's a good amount of time to spend there?
5. Where's the nightlife? I'd like to visit at least one hip hop or reggae/dancehall club.
6. Where should I visit besides Tokyo? It would be cool if I could visit temples, shrines, more country or small town areas, etc.
7. What restaurants do I need to try?
8. Where's that giant Gundam located?
9. Would you have any time to hang out with me? :-[

...that's what I can think of so far. Thanks chrono. I haven't booked my flight yet, but I'm aiming for March 12th to April 1st.

Any attempt to speak Japanese will likely be welcome. Japanese people outside of Tokyo look surprised whenever people bother to learn their language. Tokyo is passé about all foreigners, regardless of language ability.

The level of difficulty about trains is variable. Tokyo is like five overlapping ant-hives. Osaka is a fairly logical set of grids, but maybe I'm just used to is. Kyoto only has a few subways, it's pretty straightforward.

You'll want to book your lodgings immediately, because you're visiting during the height of cherry blossom season. Places are going to fill up soon. Japan is experiencing a tourist boom, so many tourist shops also offer currency exchange. The airport or hotels can exchange money for you easily. Your budget should depend on your accommodations and diet; Mr Gundam has a better idea about this than I do, since stay-at-home money is super different than traveling money. Think about air-bnb or hostels if you are on a budget. You'll meet other travelers that way, and most of them are yuropeens and oh-strayl-yuns, with most mainland asia tourists staying in hotels. Sorry I can't be more help about budget.

Tokyo/nightlife: Again, sorry, I'm old and a homebody. I'm going to guess that Lonely Planet or some more hip travel website can put you on a good path there. There are plenty of great clubs in Shibuya and Roppongi where foreigners are welcome, I hear. The Tokyo Sky Tree is new and very popular and apparently amazing from its top. The Robot Restaurant is wildly popular, probably should book in advance. There are English language sites that allow for that.

If you like anime, specifically Ghibli, I hear the Ghibli Museum is big-time awesome. I'm hoping to visit it next year. If you need help with tickets, I can buy yours in advance at a 7-11 networked ticket kiosk once you have your itinerary worked out, and I can mail the physical tickets to you.

I have an affinity for Kyoto, which always feels like half temples and shrines, and half calm and reflective urban tourist city. I lived there for a year and it was the most relaxed I've ever been. Again, look for reasonable lodging and book it soon. Kyoto's famous for cherry viewing, the locals are at their absolute best during night-time cherry blossom viewing; if you wander around with a bottle of sake to share, you may get invited to join random people's barbecues.

If you're in Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe), and if I'm here, I'm definitely up for a day out!

Mandatory Japanese 1:1 GunPla link

Beezy

« Reply #603 on: November 27, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
Oh fuck, I thought March was before cherry blossom season started. I'll try to confirm my days off from work asap before I ask you anything else.

I had no idea that the RX-78 was dismantled and replaced by unicorn. I definitely plan on seeing it.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #604 on: November 27, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
Oh fuck, I thought March was before cherry blossom season started. I'll try to confirm my days off from work asap before I ask you anything else.

I had no idea that the RX-78 was dismantled and replaced by unicorn. I definitely plan on seeing it.

Tokyo blossoming is usually towards the end of march, 20:th or so. Yeah the unicorn Gundam is outside the Diver City shopping center in Odaiba, where Gundam Café and GunPla HQ Tokyo also are. I recommend taking the boat ride to Odaiba all the way from Azumabashi bridge in Asakusa, it's relaxing and also a nice way to see the city from the Sumida river.

No need to exchange all the money up front these days, you can just pop into any 7-eleven (and most FamiMarts) and withdraw using international cards!
地平線

Bebpo

« Reply #605 on: November 28, 2017, 02:07:04 AM »
大阪のみなさん、ついに今日から2週間後の9/19にオープンします!スケジュールを覚えておいてね。そして、初日は先着100名様にタコスと限定Tシャツをプレゼント!さらにコンボがゲット出来るVIPカードもお渡しします。オープンは9/19の朝10時です! You probably already knew this though. lol

Ok, so I clicked on this thread and started reading this post and thought you were saying your schedule is finally free and that you were going to give tacos and t-shirts as a present to the first 100 people that were gonna hang out with you in Osaka (which was kinda weird, but ok), but then when I got to the VIP card I was like wait, I'm confused and then when I saw 10am I was like Ohhhhhh, this is quoting taco bell.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #606 on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:59 AM »
大阪のみなさん、ついに今日から2週間後の9/19にオープンします!スケジュールを覚えておいてね。そして、初日は先着100名様にタコスと限定Tシャツをプレゼント!さらにコンボがゲット出来るVIPカードもお渡しします。オープンは9/19の朝10時です! You probably already knew this though. lol

Ok, so I clicked on this thread and started reading this post and thought you were saying your schedule is finally free and that you were going to give tacos and t-shirts as a present to the first 100 people that were gonna hang out with you in Osaka (which was kinda weird, but ok), but then when I got to the VIP card I was like wait, I'm confused and then when I saw 10am I was like Ohhhhhh, this is quoting taco bell.
Leave it to Valkyrie to turn even the Japan thread into a Taco Bell thread. ¡Truly the Borita we deserve!
:rejoice

« Reply #607 on: November 28, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
So we're still planning on coming back in April. Tokyo and Kyoto for sure. Originally we had friends who wanted to come with their kids, but the potential air fare prices have scared them off so it looks like it will be me, Mrs. Gundam and Little Gundam. The trip is gonna be a bit different than our past jaunts since we'll need to do things a six year old would want to do (Tokyo Disney Sea, Hello Kitty stuff and she thinks Smile Slimes are the greatest things ever) but still tons of walking, little neighborhoods, ramen, 1:1 Gundam, moar ramen and hopefully some ji-biru.

I've also been trying to get her to watch Pretty Cure on Netflix for some familiarity, but she isn't having it. :lol
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #608 on: November 28, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »
 I can’t wait to hit various local beer spots with you in Kyoto! I haven’t yet been to the Kyoto Brewing Company, and I really dig their hexagonal logo, so I hope to pick up a T-shirt or hat in addition to beers.

Beezy

« Reply #609 on: November 28, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »
Had to shorten my trip a bit after speaking to my boss. Oh well. I just booked my flight. I arrive on the afternoon of March 13th and leave the afternoon of the 27th. :hyper

Bebpo

« Reply #610 on: November 28, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
Couple of weeks is perfect.
Get a rail pass, don't stay in Tokyo the entire time. One week in Tokyo is plenty to see & do a ton. At the very least do day trips to places 1-2 hours away. Take a short mountain hike somewhere while you are there. Like, doesn't have to be climbing a mountain solo, there's lots of places that are like right outside town, you get off a train and follow everyone along a scenic fresh air path somewhere.

I'd absolutely recommend staying at a hot springs inn (Ryokan) for at least 1 night, if not 2. The smaller the inn, the better because it can be like your own private place where you never run into anyone else. It took me like 4-5 trips of Japan before I did this and now and for the rest of my life I spent 2 nights at a Ryokan every time I go to Japan. It's the best thing ever. The experience, the FOOD (most will provide breakfast & dinner), the hot springs...it's the best. The people running them are usually wonderful and a lot speak English! Especially if they have an English website.

If you're interested, I can recommend my favorite one and give you tons of info on it, it's called Jinpyokaku. You can get there from Tokyo in about 3.5 hours and in March it'll be cold, but should be past the snow. If you go there you can let them know when you're arrive at Yudanaka (you take a train from Tokyo -> Nagano and then change lines to go from Nagano -> Yudanaka) and they'll pick you up in a van from the station and drive you up the hill about 20 mins to the ryokan. During the day you can walk through a cool forest to the Snow Monkey park and check out the monkeys. Also sitting in the outdoor hot springs bath in the cold night all by yourself just chilling as leaves fall down and stuff is amazing. Only way it could be better is if you're sipping sake while doing it, but I haven't tried sneaking sake in...yet.
http://www.jinpyo.jp/eng/

But there's like 1,000 ryokans in Japan, so you can find others and ones closer or somewhere along your way. But I would recommend spending 2 nights at a Ryokan somewhere on your trip. It might be your favorite memory/part.

Otherwise, you can day trip to Kamakura, Nikko, Enoshima island, Yokohama, Hakone (I didn't think Hakone was worth it). Just google around the places and find stuff you think would be fun to visit. If you're going to leave Tokyo, then Osaka/Kyoto is good. Osaka will be pretty close to the same Tokyo experience but with Chronovore. The Aquarium is amazing. Kyoto is pretty unique and you can spend a day or two visiting temples or the train museum or the international manga museum.

My recommended itinerary for Tokyo is:

-Akihabara game shopping & Club Sega for your arcade gaming
-Ueno park museums
-Yoyogi Park & Harajuku on Sunday around lunch in case cosplayers are on the bridge.
-Tokyo station for the old Tokyo station exit which is historic and the underground shops including the brand shops like the Kirby shops; also you can walk to the imperial grounds and walk around the outside or look for a tour thing for inside.
-Odaiba for the Gundam and Amusement park rides and museums
-Tokyo Tower/Skytree are probably cool, I suck and still haven't been up either
-Sunshine City in Ikebukuro has some anime/manga stuff like Mandarake and Namco city
-Shinjuku, Kabukicho is the red light district that the Yakuza games Kamurocho is based on, there's also GODZILLA there
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:51:18 PM by Bebpo »

Beezy

« Reply #611 on: November 28, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
All of that sounds great. Thanks, I was planning on looking into ryokans. One where I can also see snow monkeys nearby sounds perfect.

Beezy

« Reply #612 on: November 29, 2017, 08:41:03 PM »
Bebpo, where do you usually stay on your Japan trips? Hotels, airbnbs, etc?

Bebpo

« Reply #613 on: November 29, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Hotels, but depends on what you want to spend.

I've stayed at hostels for $25/night in Tokyo (there's one by Sensouji in Asakusa)
I've stayed in ~$100/night 3 star chains/business hotels
and I've stayed in $200-300/night 4/5 star hotels.

One thing though is that even the cheap hotels are nice and clean in Japan. So just spend what you feel comfortable spending. Location is important too, you want to be near a trains station that connects on a bunch of lines.

Also I have zero experience with airbnbs in Japan, so they might be great, but someone else here would need to tell you about them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:04:47 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #614 on: November 29, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
Toyoko-Inn was always my choice for nice, clean, and reasonably priced business hotels.  Lots of them all over the place.

They have an English site: https://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng

We stayed at a really awesome little hotel the last time we were in Tokyo that was in a great location, but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe my wife does...I can ask.

And yeah, the rail pass is great and bullet trains are fast, so you can get to other cities pretty quickly.  Go see Kyoto and Osaka!   

I would also like to pimp my former home city of Kanazawa.  Nice little place that will give you a good idea of what it's like to live outside the big cities, while also being kind of a trendy place (think the Aspen of Japan- complete with skiing on one side...but beaches on the other!) and you'll find some of the same big name stores like 109 and people driving around in Ferraris here and there.  It has got amazing seafood that shits all over what you'll find in Tokyo.  There's places to see like Kenrokuen garden and the Ninja Castle. 

I really only went to surrounding prefectures, Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto when I was there.  I'd really like to go check out Kobe, Hiroshima, and then go to Okinawa and Hokkaido some time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:47:54 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #615 on: November 29, 2017, 11:49:44 PM »
Oh yeah, Beezy- Convenience stores will be your friend.  Lots of useful things to buy and the food is actually pretty decent if you want to grab something quick on the cheap.  Nothing like the convenience stores in the States...they're actually one of the things I miss the most about not living over there.  :lol
ど助平

« Reply #616 on: November 30, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
My wife and I now do AirBNB in Japan, but we stayed here on our first two Tokyo trips:
http://www.katsutaro.com/annex_index.html

Awesome little neighborhood (Yanaka avoided the firebombing during WWII and retains the old Tokyo feel that was almost completely wiped out) right off the Yamanote line.

If you make it down to Hiroshima, we have an amazing place to stay on Miyajima. Super pricey but damn was it worth it.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #617 on: November 30, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
Had to shorten my trip a bit after speaking to my boss. Oh well. I just booked my flight. I arrive on the afternoon of March 13th and leave the afternoon of the 27th. :hyper
I put you in my calendar. Let me know when your regional plans shape up, and I'll help you out however I can in Kansai.

Beezy

« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
Thanks, this thread has helped a lot already. I have a friend who's also going from the 5th to 19th. So that's a one week overlap for us. We gotta figure out what we'll do while there together.

Beezy

« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »
Would two days be alright for Kyoto, Osaka and maybe Nara? Since my friend and I will only be together from the 13th to the 19th, I was thinking of staying in that area from the 15th to the 17th. His flight out of Tokyo is on the 19th, so he needs to be back before then. Found a nice airbnb in Osaka for those dates that doesn't have two beds directly next to each other. I feel like I should book it tonight.

So far the plan is shaping up to be:

-Friend gets an airbnb in Tokyo for the 6th to the 15th. I stay there with him once I arrive on the 13th. Check out Tokyo a bit.
-Airbnb for the both of us in Osaka for 15th to the 17th. Hopefully hang out with chrono in Osaka on the 15th. Check out Kyoto on the 16th.
-I get an airbnb in Tokyo for the 17th to the 27th. Check out Tokyo some more. Once my friend leaves on the 19th, I start going on day trips by myself. Hopefully stay in a ryokan for a night or 2. I'd go to the one Bebpo recommended, just so I won't have to do any extra research.

Beezy

« Reply #620 on: December 06, 2017, 12:47:17 AM »
*paging chrono*

Bebpo

« Reply #621 on: December 06, 2017, 01:29:35 AM »
Two days is tight but doable for 1 day Kyoto (see some temples) and 1 day in Osaka (hang with Chronovore in Namba, check out Denden town game shopping & Gundam store). Probably can't fit Nara in unless you go there first in the morning for a couple of hours and then head to Osaka. For the morning I'd recommend either doing Deer Park in Nara or the Osaka Aquarium. Depends on if you want to see/pet deer or see giant sealife.

When you go to Kyoto, Google about the Arashiyama thing where you take a train 1 stop north and then ride down the river in one of those narrow old school boats to Arashiyama, then get out and do the bamboo forest, temples get lunch then head back to the city and do one of the major epic temples.

I like Arashiyama a lot but I haven't done the boat thing and it looks fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #622 on: December 06, 2017, 01:37:10 AM »
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3966.html

Actually it looks like a 2 hour ride so might take up too much time since it already takes 35 mins by train to Arashiyama from central Kyoto.

I think if you could, doing 3 days Osaka/Kyoto would give you a lot more flexibility. 2 days in Kyoto (main city temples/museums & a day in Arashiyama and then something late afternoon in Kyoto).

But 2 days will work.

I don't know if you ever saw Kenshin, but that's how I first found out about Arashiyama the first time I was in Kyoto. Arashiyama is famous for a big bridge over a river and one of the ending songs for the anime was that bridge with the river running under it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #623 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
I haven't done the boat thing, so I can't speak to it. Arashiyama is nice, but Kyoto itself is also nice and has a lot of variation within it. Arashiyama is kind of touristy, but still understated.

A day in Osaka, a day in Kyoto is kind of the bare minimum. Unless you have specific stuff you want to hit in Nara, skip it. It's charming, has a bunch of temples, deer, and a crafts scene — as well as one REALLY good sake brewery which does tastings. But if you don't have goals in Nara, it's hard to recommend.

Kyoto and Osaka are fantastic, and easy to stumble into a good time.

When you finalize your days, I'll put it into my calendar!

Beezy

« Reply #624 on: December 06, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
Okay, we're gonna stay in the Kyoto area from the 14th to the 17th, so 3 days.

« Reply #625 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
Em and I took a day trip to Nara on our honeymoon and thought it was wonderful. Absolutely gorgeous town, but we didn't do Osaka on that trip. Three days in Kyoto (including Nara) before an overnight in Hiroshima/Miyajima and then back to Tokyo.

We loved Kyoto. Stayed in the Gion district during Gion Matsuri and had an amazing stay. The Philosopher's Path was a serious highlight for both of us.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #626 on: December 06, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
Philosopher’s path is really romantic with the falling leaves along the canal!

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #627 on: December 06, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
Trip is going well so far, I'm posting photos here FYI:

https://t-shortography.tumblr.com

Quoting to bump this gorgeous photography.
rub

« Reply #628 on: December 06, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
I see a lot of people say nice things about Osaka and Kyoto. So Tokyo isn't that good?

Tokyo is awesome. I love Tokyo. There's a reason I go there every four years.

However, you should also visit other parts of the country if you have time. Tokyo isn't everything.

Philosopher’s path is really romantic with the falling leaves along the canal!

We got to Kyoto on the first night of Gion Matsuri and it was absolutely magical. Even though we were walloped by the tail end of a typhoon, it was a great place to spend our honeymoon.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #629 on: December 06, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
I see a lot of people say nice things about Osaka and Kyoto. So Tokyo isn't that good?

If I ever lived in Japan again I’d live in Tokyo. It’s very similar to NYC and has everything and it’s all top-notch.
Rest of the country has neat stuff too! It’s a pretty old country with a lot of history :)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #630 on: December 06, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
Okay, we're gonna stay in the Kyoto area from the 14th to the 17th, so 3 days.

Kewl, you're in my calendar for 2018 March 14-17th. As the trip approaches, we'll figure out which day works best for our schedules, and I can spend a day with you in either Osaka or Kyoto. I'm good either place. Osaka is better with a guide, Kyoto is built for tourists, but it's up to you!

Beezy

« Reply #631 on: December 10, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »
I've booked all my airbnbs. I'll be staying in Shinjuku when I'm in Tokyo. Flights and lodging have come to about $1,360. I think that's pretty good.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #632 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:17 AM »
Any of you guys ever go to Huis Ten Bosch in Nagasaki? Little bit of the Netherlands in Japan.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
Any of you guys ever go to Huis Ten Bosch in Nagasaki? Little bit of the Netherlands in Japan.

Never heard of it.  Interesting place and want to check it out if I ever go to Nagasaki one day.  Found this about it:

In 2015, the Henna Hotel ("Strange Hotel") opened on site. It is the world's first hotel staffed by robots

wut
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »

« Reply #635 on: February 01, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
Chrono,

Japan is off for the time being. We have a wedding to attend in Belgium this Spring so we'll be doing that instead and spending some time in Germany as well. And our friends all backed out on Japan, so it will be just my family at some point in the future. I'll let you know when. We've thought about maybe November.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #636 on: February 01, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm passing on Japan this year and going to Singapore/HK/Macau instead. Was invited/tempted to go to the Xenogears concert in April but had to choose between the two trips and would rather check out some new places. Might go in the fall (maybe I'll go when Mr. Gundam goes so we can cross paths), but I'll probably just wait and go spring. I keep wanting to go in Feb for the Sapporo snow festival but that's really fucking cold and I might be too old for turning into ice.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #637 on: February 01, 2018, 05:45:53 PM »
Chrono,

Japan is off for the time being. We have a wedding to attend in Belgium this Spring so we'll be doing that instead and spending some time in Germany as well. And our friends all backed out on Japan, so it will be just my family at some point in the future. I'll let you know when. We've thought about maybe November.
Yeah, I'm passing on Japan this year and going to Singapore/HK/Macau instead. Was invited/tempted to go to the Xenogears concert in April but had to choose between the two trips and would rather check out some new places. Might go in the fall (maybe I'll go when Mr. Gundam goes so we can cross paths), but I'll probably just wait and go spring. I keep wanting to go in Feb for the Sapporo snow festival but that's really fucking cold and I might be too old for turning into ice.

Thanks for letting me know, guys! I'm here for the long run, so I know we'll catch up eventually!

Maybe if you BOTH are here at the same time, you can finally manage to help me understand the fascination with SRW/mecha games?  ;)

Beezy

« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
My trip is still happening, chrono. :hyper

Is it too late to get the Ghibli Museum tickets? How much are they? I should've asked you this a long time ago but I forgot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »

Is it too late to get the Ghibli Museum tickets? How much are they? I should've asked you this a long time ago but I forgot.

Oh, shit! Yeah, I've got to get some for my friends who are also coming to Japan shortly. I'd rather pick them all up at once, so you have to let me know WHICH DAY you want to visit. Preferably a range of days, in case they're sold out. I've never been, but I've heard they only allow a max number of visitors per day.

I don't know how much it costs. I think it's less than $50.

« Reply #640 on: February 04, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
And now Germany/Belgium (and the wedding) may be off. We could've done Japan.

Fuuuuuuck. Oh well. We're still eyeing Japan in November, probably over Thanksgiving.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #641 on: February 04, 2018, 07:01:43 PM »
Liking for Japan being on the table again, not for a possible wedding cancellation… For what it’s worth.

Beezy

« Reply #642 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »

Oh, shit! Yeah, I've got to get some for my friends who are also coming to Japan shortly. I'd rather pick them all up at once, so you have to let me know WHICH DAY you want to visit. Preferably a range of days, in case they're sold out. I've never been, but I've heard they only allow a max number of visitors per day.

If March 18th is available, I'd like two for that day. It's the last day that my friend will be in Tokyo and have time to do stuff. If not, then one ticket for any day from the 19th to the 26th should be fine.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #643 on: February 04, 2018, 11:42:17 PM »

If March 18th is available, I'd like two for that day. It's the last day that my friend will be in Tokyo and have time to do stuff. If not, then one ticket for any day from the 19th to the 26th should be fine.
OK, I'll have a peek as soon as my friend re-confirms her family's needed dates!

Beezy

« Reply #644 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:02 AM »
So for some reason, my friend believes that we need to purchase the JR Pass in advance. Is he right? I assumed it'd be something that I could just buy at the airport once I landed.

Bebpo

« Reply #645 on: February 09, 2018, 02:02:53 AM »
So for some reason, my friend believes that we need to purchase the JR Pass in advance. Is he right? I assumed it'd be something that I could just buy at the airport once I landed.

You have to get it in advance. You cannot purchase it in Japan. Definitely take care of it soon because it takes a week or two if you order it online.

Beezy

« Reply #646 on: February 09, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »
Shit. Good thing he found out when he did. I see that they have them for 7, 14, and 21 days. I'll be there for 15 days though. Do I have no other option besides buying the one for 21 days? Can I just pay cash to take the train to the airport?

Also, I forgot to look into ryokans. I'm assuming most of the better ones are filled by now. The one you linked was sold out a long time ago Bebpo. Unless I read things on the site wrong.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:33:56 AM by Beezy »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #647 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
Shit. Good thing he found out when he did. I see that they have them for 7, 14, and 21 days. I'll be there for 15 days though. Do I have no other option besides buying the one for 21 days? Can I just pay cash to take the train to the airport?

Also, I forgot to look into ryokans. I'm assuming most of the better ones are filled by now. The one you linked was sold out a long time ago Bebpo. Unless I read things on the site wrong.

Buy the 14-day pass, and just pay for whatever you need out-of-pocket on the last day you're here. You're likely just going to catch a train from your last hotel to the airport, right? Or maybe even staying at the airport?

Beezy

« Reply #648 on: February 09, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
Yeah, just a train from my airbnb to the airport on the last day.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #649 on: February 09, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
Yeah, just a train from my airbnb to the airport on the last day.

Well, there you are. Provided the diff between 14 and 21 days is more than that last train ride, you're set with the 14 day pass.

Bebpo

« Reply #650 on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »
Yeah, although when you're in Tokyo it's cheaper to just pay each time than use the pass (getting around Tokyo is probably like $10-20 a day max), but the pass is convenient to just walk through the little security entrance/exit each time and not have to mess with buying a ticket each time.

Just saying this because I've gone with people who are there for like 10-15 days but like 6 of the days are in Tokyo so they go for the 7 day pass and don't activate it until the day they leave Tokyo because what you really want it for is the bullet train/shinkansen tickets which are like $100 a piece. It's also useful for the airport train which is like $30 or something.

If you search Agoda for Ryokans you'll see a bunch. There's tons, so just look around at what's available and use tripadvisor reviews and stuff to make sure it's a good place. Also if you want a private hot springs bath in your room make sure you look for that because a lot of hot spring ryokan just have the public pool. Also keep in mind most ryokans (all ryokans?) include dinner & breakfast in each night and it's not like a continent breakfast, but a good full $60-100 quality meal. So when you see like $300-500 per night, the real cost is lower because of the value of the 2 meals included per night.

« Reply #651 on: February 11, 2018, 11:59:10 AM »
So yeah, wedding delayed until next year. Bummer, I was excited about spending a week in Germany. We tried to see if we could pull together an April Japan trip but not much in the way of AirBNBs.

Now we’re definitely coming to Japan in November.
野球

« Reply #652 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
November is a good time to come, right? Everything we've read says so, and if we're there Thanksgiving week hopefully we can see some of the early Christmas decorations.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #653 on: February 12, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
November is a good time to come, right? Everything we've read says so, and if we're there Thanksgiving week hopefully we can see some of the early Christmas decorations.
Japan is lovely in November. It hasn't become winter yet, so it's not freezing-ass cold, and if you time it right you might see "kouyou," the turning of the leaves. Kyoto has several maple gardens where they are just completely red and beautiful.

You may see Christmas stuff, you may not. I generally don't see a whole bunch of stuff for "XMAS" except for department store sales. And maybe cake.

Beezy

« Reply #654 on: March 07, 2018, 12:05:39 AM »
My friend got to Tokyo today and he's already enjoying himself. I can't wait to get there next week.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #655 on: March 07, 2018, 01:29:24 AM »
My friend got to Tokyo today and he's already enjoying himself. I can't wait to get there next week.

OK, well, a bit of trouble: I went to Lawson's Loppi vendor to get your tickets. The entire month has been sold out, apparently since the moment they went on sale. When I bought tickets a few years ago, this wasn't the case. I'm very sorry that I couldn't come through for you.

I'm still hoping to meet you in Kyoto. Any change from March 14th-17th?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:53:29 AM by chronovore »

Beezy

« Reply #656 on: March 07, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
No big deal. Thanks for trying. And no, I haven't made any changes to plans. I'll be in the area March 14th-17th.

Bebpo

« Reply #657 on: March 07, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »

OK, well, a bit of trouble: I went to Lawson's Loppi vendor to get your tickets. The entire month has been sold out, apparently since the moment they went on sale. When I bought tickets a few years ago, this wasn't the case. I'm very sorry that I couldn't come through for you.

I'm still hoping to meet you in Kyoto. Any change from March 14th-17th?

I've noticed that's a thing the last year or two. It's weird because it used to be like that for dirty gaijin but the locals could get tickets no problem. Now it looks like it's that way for everyone. Feels like they sell all their tickets to tour groups and scalpers buy the rest. Pretty messed up. I'm probably gonna buy off scalpers next time I wanna go.

Beezy, if you really want to go, here's a links for the 2nd hand tour guide versions (where it's like $64 instead of like $20):

https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/japan-tokyo-last-minute-tickets-to-ghibli-museum-in-tokyo/186

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:32:30 PM by Bebpo »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #658 on: March 07, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
Wow, thanks for the link, Bebs! I didn’t think about scalping! The Loppi machine was also requiring name imprint and a matching ID at the gate. My guess is that scalpers have circumvented that. My more likely scenario is that it’s just Chinese tourism snapping them up by the bus load.

Beezy, thanks for being understanding. I felt miserable about this.

Bebpo

« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
Actually, I looked more into that link and they are only taking orders for April/May tickets.

https://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/GDT1J01901MMS/

I found one with available March tickets but they want $132, on the plus side the tour includes some other places too. Still depending on how much you really want to go, it's an option. If I was only going to Japan once and was a big Ghibli fan I'd probably pay $132. Otherwise, I'd figure I'd go another time.