Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 168956 times)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 25, 2015, 11:59:09 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up not going to Maccho but I did go to the Ippudo in Namba. I'm posting pics over here: http://t-shortography.tumblr.com

:uguu
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:12:20 PM by Hyoushi »
地平線

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
 :mouf
ど助平

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »
i'm thinking of going to japan next year. i haven't really figured out anything beyond that, but what i'd like to do if possible is experience the maximum arty hipster side of tokyo-as-big-city, rather than trying to experience japanese traditional culture, or anime/game stuff, or whatever. does that even make sense? any recommendations?
QED

« Reply #423 on: May 25, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »
i'm thinking of going to japan next year. i haven't really figured out anything beyond that, but what i'd like to do if possible is experience the maximum arty hipster side of tokyo-as-big-city, rather than trying to experience japanese traditional culture, or anime/game stuff, or whatever. does that even make sense? any recommendations?

Koenji, Shimokitazawa and Yoyogi.
野球

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #424 on: May 25, 2015, 09:36:20 PM »
Daikanyama, too  :tophat
地平線

« Reply #425 on: May 25, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
Sangenjaya and Nakameguro, too.

Seriously, as much as I love used game shopping and Gundam stuff, walking around and hanging out in cool neighborhoods is my favorite thing to do in Japan.
野球

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
Oh yeah, haven't checked out Sangenjaya actually. Might do that today (last day) since I'm going down to Shibs to visit some more shops before I'm out.
地平線

« Reply #427 on: May 25, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Wife and I rented an apartment in Sangenjaya last April. Not as cool as Shimo, but we found some cool coffee shops and restaurants. Plus a seriously under the radar craft beer bar that had crazy Cantillon bottles.

And the Book Off had everything I wanted but couldn't find in larger neighborhoods... Hehe.
野球

Beezy

« Reply #428 on: May 25, 2015, 11:09:42 PM »
Is it difficult getting around and being a tourist without knowing the language? I'd love to visit sometime in the next 2-3 years, but I've forgotten what little I learned in 2 semesters of college a long time ago.

« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:37 PM »
You'd be fine in the cities and most nearby suburbs.
野球

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #430 on: May 26, 2015, 12:18:56 AM »
thanks. btw, from reading around I kind of get the impression that Tokyo nowadays has become more of an international city than it was say ten years ago ... or am I off base?
QED

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: May 26, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »
Is it difficult getting around and being a tourist without knowing the language? I'd love to visit sometime in the next 2-3 years, but I've forgotten what little I learned in 2 semesters of college a long time ago.

You shouldn't have any problems.  The train system may look complicated at first glance, but there are large maps that have all the station names in English and the station attendants will give you English map/pamphlets if you ask.  If you're just fucking around in Tokyo you'll be fine.  It's when you get farther out or go elsewhere that it could be a problem, but if you're a tourist you wouldn't be going anywhere like that anyway.  I can definitely say that I was super-glad to be able to ask basic questions and directions when I was living in Kanazawa.

BTW, can't say it enough- if you like Japan but have only been to places like Tokyo, try going out to some of the other/smaller cities.  You haven't experienced the "real Japan" if you've just been to Tokyo or Osaka.  At the same time...make sure to find a place with stuff to do, otherwise it's going to be boring as hell.  Hence why most people are going to go Tokyo or Osaka.  :spin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:11:31 AM by bork laser »
ど助平

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #432 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:52 PM »
I had to take a photo of this place, didn't I

地平線

studyguy

« Reply #433 on: May 28, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »
Bore Cafe: They're probably spit in your coffee and call it artisanal.
pause

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #434 on: May 28, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »
No spit in it but they use a special stirrer.
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #435 on: May 28, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »
The coffee is probably fine, it's just that they talk your ear off about how awful evilore is while they prepare your drink

Only if you sit at that one table; avoid that table, and it’s all (man) gravy.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #436 on: May 28, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »
And the toilet is busiest room.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
Japan. Summer of 20X5, July Fucking First: hot rain all day long, 95% humidity, and the first day I have to leave the house.

Japanese summer is just horrible. Super damned horrible. I would rather be in 117º Las Vegas heat, because the clothes don't stick to you, and walking doesn't feel like swimming in someone else's bodily fluids.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
It has been cool out here in Ishikawa for most of the time I've been here.  Was even feeling like fall on some nights...felt cold on some mornings.  Was not expecting this at all...must be the rainy season.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
It has been cool out here in Ishikawa for most of the time I've been here.  Was even feeling like fall on some nights...felt cold on some mornings.  Was not expecting this at all...must be the rainy season.

It stopped raining about 14:00 down here, and the air gradually sucked less. We actually managed to /mostly/ dry laundry which had been hanging out since yesterday. Just amazeballs humid today in Osaka. The walk to work from the station had me just drenched.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #440 on: July 02, 2015, 05:32:30 AM »
I figured I'd be dripping in sweat -and I was in Tokyo- but it's been pretty damn nice out in the sticks.  Leaving tomorrow, going back to the town's single yakiniku place tonight for dinner. :drool

I think the return trip is going to be a three hour shinkansen to Tokyo, then another 30-40 minute train ride to the airport, then a 12-13 hour flight to Chicago with a 2.5 hour layover, a 2-3 hour flight to Atlanta, and then a 45 minute car ride home.
:dead
ど助平

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #441 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
I figured I'd be dripping in sweat -and I was in Tokyo- but it's been pretty damn nice out in the sticks.  Leaving tomorrow, going back to the town's single yakiniku place tonight for dinner. :drool

I think the return trip is going to be a three hour shinkansen to Tokyo, then another 30-40 minute train ride to the airport, then a 12-13 hour flight to Chicago with a 2.5 hour layover, a 2-3 hour flight to Atlanta, and then a 45 minute car ride home.

damn son. I thought Delta had a NRT - ATL flight? (stopover in NRT on the way from Shanghai or something?)
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
You might be STUNNED at the difference in cost between nonstop and even a single-layover flight. When I was trying to arrange flights from Turkey to Seattle, a two-stop flight was five times more expensive than a three-stop flight.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: July 03, 2015, 03:57:37 AM »
Flying American, not Delta.  What's worse is that apparently the return trip is not a connecting flight.  We may miss the flight back to ATL now since we have to go through customs and then recheck our luggage.  Unbelievable.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #444 on: July 03, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
Who the hell did you use to book the flight?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #446 on: July 25, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
It is good to see a Caucasian man emasculate himself to entertain the Asians. The future of the planet is being played out in small steps.
- Fu Manchu Posted on July 17, 2015

:heh

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #447 on: July 25, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »
Who the hell did you use to book the flight?

Missed this post, sorry!  It was one of those travel comparison websites.  Can't remember which one. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »

A Japanese city hosting the Group of Seven summit next year may change its new community mascot after the depiction of the female character was blasted as obscene and sexist.

The cartoon image of a voluptuous 17-year-old aspiring “ama” diver in search of a boyfriend drew fire from the real divers, who traditionally harvest seaweed, clams and, in some areas, pearls.

About 170 people, mostly female divers, have signed a petition calling for the city to scrap the character, according to a tourism official in the coastal city of Shima 300km south of Tokyo.

Protesters reportedly said the mascot, launched late last year, was obscene and sexist.

“We don’t want foreigners who visit... to think ‘ama’ divers look like this,” one of them told local media.

Cartoon images of young women with exaggerated body features are common in Japan and have attracted criticism.

The mascot spat also comes just weeks after Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic logo triggered plagiarism claims due to its resemblance to the logo of a Belgian theatre and a separate Spanish design.

“We may consider changing the mascot’s design to avoid hurting some people’s feelings,” the Shima official said.

“But at this point we have no plan to retract our official approval for the character.”

The real divers:
(Image removed from quote.)
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »
How the hell did they get that as their mascot?

The prefecture I lived in has this one:
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »
How the hell did they get that as their mascot?

The prefecture I lived in has this one:
(Image removed from quote.)

I'd hit it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #453 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »
It has been unreasonably hot for the last month, increasingly so in the last 10 days. Finally today it is getting cooler, because we can expect a typhoon to hit on Tuesday.

It'll almost certainly be hot rain.

Why is this country trying to kill me?

Found in another thread:

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #454 on: August 22, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
I'm trying to read what it says on his shirt.

Ma-Ri-Mo... Ko....

*reverse image search*

Marimokkori

Green algae + bulge. Algae with an erection.  :ohhh

edit: Damnit. It's in the emote name of :marimo and I didn't notice up until now.

:picard

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #455 on: August 23, 2015, 12:00:25 AM »
We had a doll of that character. You could pull on his erection and make him talk.  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:marimo
[close]
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #457 on: September 12, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/09/11/short-documentary-explores-the-significance-of-japanese-children-being-independent-from-a-young-age-【video】/

I'm still not entirely comfortable letting my kids just go off and do stuff on their own, despite having lived here for 15 years. I see kids getting on trains at 10PM and I'm just unable to process how that should ever be OK.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #458 on: September 12, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
I used to be amazed at all the junior high kids who were still in school or leaving as late as 7:00-8:00 PM, with little to no supervision.  Fucking crazy.
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #459 on: September 12, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »
My mom walked me to school on my first day and I think she picked me up again. I walked by myself from the 2nd day on. I also biked to friend's houses and back as soon as I could. Only rule was to do my homework first, then be home for either lunch or dinner. It's really not that big of a deal.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #460 on: September 12, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
My mom walked me to school on my first day and I think she picked me up again. I walked by myself from the 2nd day on. I also biked to friend's houses and back as soon as I could. Only rule was to do my homework first, then be home for either lunch or dinner. It's really not that big of a deal.

That's a little different than kids riding around a major city by themselves late at night.  And things (sadly) are different now than they were when we were kids.
ど助平

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #461 on: September 12, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
that aussie girl being driven to school every day what :doge

After kindergarden my parents never drove me anywhere if the distance was within walking/biking range. Even being driven into the city on saturdays was a bit of an ask since we could take the bus.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #462 on: September 12, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
That's a little different than kids riding around a major city by themselves late at night.  And things (sadly) are different now than they were when we were kids.
I'm from a relatively rural area, but you see the same thing in big cities. Latchkeykids everywhere. I dunno how dangerous the average American city is though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »

I sometimes wonder if that's true, though. I mean, yes, different, but isn't the overall crime rate lower than 20~30 years ago in the USA?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #464 on: September 17, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #466 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:25 PM »
http://imgur.com/gallery/lbRkOXA

Yakuza pics; really beautiful stuff.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »
The power of the PS4.  :drake
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #468 on: October 21, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »

This was on the morning shows in Japan today. It'll be viral in 5... 4... 3...

Song's pretty dope, too.

Beezy

« Reply #469 on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »
 :doge :doge :doge

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #470 on: December 12, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »

japan remains the frontier of the robot wars

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #471 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »
That's pretty clever. They'll need to figure out an average-grade mesh size to use, or have various mesh sizes available to match the targeted drone.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #472 on: March 24, 2016, 05:20:34 AM »
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/03/23/all-the-coolest-cosplay-from-the-annual-nipponbashi-street-festival-in-osaka/

Bunch of great shots of the cosplay enthusiasts from last weekend's festival in our local equivalent of Akihabara.

We were having a party so I was unable to attend. Looks like it was great!

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #473 on: March 24, 2016, 05:42:15 AM »
PSA: I'll be in Glorious Nippon™ again from April 7:th to 19:th. Mostly Tokyo, but will be in Osaka on the 15:th and 16:th...
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #474 on: March 24, 2016, 10:17:22 PM »
Let's grab a beer!

Bebpo

« Reply #475 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:25 PM »
Heading to Japan tomorrow!  Realized with Dead or Alive Xtreme just released there's gonna be lots of creepy DoA ads at all the game stores ><

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #476 on: March 25, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #477 on: March 25, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:16:51 AM by chronovore »