Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 168965 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
NHK apologizes for asking tough questions

:heh

:japancry

To be honest, I thought that was going to be another "foreign country misinterprets the role of apology in Japan" article, but that reads straight up like the government is asserting overt control over the direction news can be reported. That's pretty damned sad.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
I think Jake Adelstein started that site. I don't quite know what to think of the guy and his own work (he covers or covered organized crime), but most articles there seem alright.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #362 on: July 27, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-stap-stem-cell-suicide-20140805-story.html

So the lead researcher in the STAP cell incident has committed suicide, in shame from the inconsistencies and inaccuracies in his report. Media are continuing to blame the younger female researcher for her "stubbornness" in not admitting to wrongdoing.

This is research which looked hopeful but turned out to be wrong, and the only reason it's become this big of a deal is because the media turned the woman into a celebrity of sorts, and now wants to tear her down.

For the Japanese media who have supported this story's pursuit beyond reason and into vindictiveness, I'd like to point out that they're also covering the problem with bullying in schools, and this is bullying one of the smart kids because they didn't like her attitude.

Fuckers.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »
It just seems inherently sexist and more mean-spirited than if they'd dealt with a male in the same role.

It's possible that you know more about the story than I do, but I'm not clear on who did what on the team, how the responsibilities broke down per member, and why everything was out of whack on the report. I don't know any of that stuff; what I've seen is that the media made a big deal about a woman researcher, was cooing all about her and she seemed to eat it up.

Then when things went wrong, it's all become a focus on her, though she's a junior member of the research team. In a strictly hierarchical society like Japan, I'd expect that the top researchers would have been responsible for the problems in the report, but instead we've seen full-page pictures of her sniveling face on the front of newspapers, cementing her culpability.

I don't know why the head researcher took his own life, except as some kind of mark of accepting his own responsibility in the STAP scandal, but if it were entirely impossible, why leave Obokata a directive to "Be sure to reproduce STAP cells"? It's possible the out-of-touch project lead may have been buoyed by optimism instead of pragmatism, but it seems like he believed it had happened -- or that's the darkest bit of suicide note trolling ever.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #365 on: August 29, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »

Lupin the Third is getting a live-action movie with Kuroki Meisa as Fujiko, but I must be as gay as a month of Sundays, because this is the version I want to see:
http://kotaku.com/lupin-the-third-turned-into-an-all-womens-musical-1628368523

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
Oscar? Is it actually getting cooler? Is this... hope that I'm feeling?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »
I'm so happy... it's such a lovely temperature, and there's a breeze, and my house is tolerable with just a few windows open.

I'm worried. Japanese summers sometimes last until October. This may just be a tease.

But I'm happy today~!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
http://mashable.com/2014/10/07/super-typhoon-vongfong-japan/

Great. Another typhoon. It’s not enough we get surprise volcano eruptions, but we get typhoon tag-teamed, and one tag partner is the biggest mo-fo on the block.

Greeaaaat.

« Reply #369 on: December 14, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
So Abe got re-elected. The Yen:Dollar ratio is awesome for me, but everything else is absolute shit.

Fuck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30444230
野球

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #370 on: December 14, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Got some fire sale tix for late July/August for a few weeks. Am I crazy going to Japan peak summer?

Will be travelling super light, if I can't handle Tokyo for long thinking of heading straight up north aomori/hokkaido ways on the bullet.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #371 on: December 15, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
Summer in Japan is hell.

I’ve heard there are some places with worse heat and humidity in the USA, but I’ve never confirmed. It’s pretty miserable.

So Abe got re-elected. The Yen:Dollar ratio is awesome for me, but everything else is absolute shit.

Fuck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30444230
:fbm

I really don’t like Abe. I felt for him when he quit when he became depressed. Whatever changed in him that allowed him to come back, well, it’s not an improvement.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #372 on: December 15, 2014, 03:04:59 AM »
Is there a place on earth that isn't lurching to the right? Such a reactionary decade.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #373 on: December 15, 2014, 03:06:43 AM »
Probably, but they’re not as AWESOME as America, at least according to that ridiculous woman on Fox News.

naff

« Reply #374 on: December 15, 2014, 05:47:16 AM »
Summer in Japan is hell.

I’ve heard there are some places with worse heat and humidity in the USA, but I’ve never confirmed. It’s pretty miserable.

I've been to singapore when it was stifling, the humidity was the worst. but i did acclimatize.

Guess i'll get a prep zone sorted at home :p going from winter here to summer there gon be crazy
◕‿◕

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2014, 06:18:15 AM »
Summer in Japan is hell.

Visited Hong Kong in June a few years ago

Tonya

« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
We honeymooned in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima in July 2006. Humidity from hell and a typhoon.

We've been back twice since, but always in April.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #377 on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
April is the best time to be here.

So you guys have done Dante's Inferno and Paradiso; when will you be doing Purgatorio?

« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
The 2018 trip will be April again.  :D
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »
Summer in Japan is hell.

Visited Hong Kong in June a few years ago

I imagine it's pretty similar.

Thing is, my dad used to say that Viet Nam was not as bad as when he'd trained in Virginia. I think it was Virginia. Anyway: NOT GOING TO VIRGINIA.

naff

« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
26-28 degrees in hokkaido sounds nice. miss the craft beer forest by a week though :'(
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #381 on: December 16, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Sapporo is a decent city! If you look around, there are likely heaps of craft beer locations. Also, food up that direction is amazing!

naff

« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
awesome! food wise so far my only plan is to check out jiros or his sons place in tokyo then gtfo to more peaceful/cooler climes. heard the cycling is v good around there (sapporo, around hokkaido in general) too, smooth wide roads due to regular maintenance and accommodating heavy snow fall
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #383 on: December 16, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »
awesome! food wise so far my only plan is to check out jiros or his sons place in tokyo then gtfo to more peaceful/cooler climes. heard the cycling is v good around there (sapporo, around hokkaido in general) too, smooth wide roads due to regular maintenance and accommodating heavy snow fall

http://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/sapporo/0/105/

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #384 on: December 18, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/12/18/national/science-health/obokata-fails-to-replicate-stap-cells-at-riken/

Hoh-lee shiiiiiit.

I’m back in Japan after two months abroad, and the first chance I have to sit down to news, and it’s not “PM Abe Takes Japan in Frightening Right-Wing Shift,” nor is it “Hokkaido Rocked by Abnormal Storms, Flooding, Mudslides, and Snow,” but rather: OBOKATA FAILS TO RECREATE STAP CELLS.

Seriously? We’re still focused on this? There’s a press conference set for 10:30 with the room opening at 8:30, so of course there was a segment at 8:24 about how the doors hadn’t yet opened. The photos of the scientist were still frames of her trying to get into her apartment and fleeing cameras, so it was easy to grab shots which looks like she’s a fugitive.

Wow, I can’t believe they’re still hounding this woman. I think the whole thing is sad. It’s sad that she’s doubled down on something she probably knew wouldn’t work, it’s sad her associate committed suicide, and it’s sad that the news are all over her like a swarm of bees, when there are more pressing things to be concerned about.

« Reply #385 on: January 26, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
nvm eh
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:27:09 PM by radioheadrule83 »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201502240027

For all of Abe's ultra-nationalism, it strikes me as strange that the American military gets to run around like this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201502240027

For all of Abe's ultra-nationalism, it strikes me as strange that the American military gets to run around like this.

From the article alone, it seems like someone inside the base changed protocol, and the protestors acted impulsively when a new opportunity presented itself.

Abe still wants a strong relationship with his primary militarily allied partner, particularly in the face of continuing Chinese economic and political growth. In general, I feel like Okinawans protesting the military presence are morally right, but realistically have no chance of evicting the source of not only military protection but economic stability to an otherwise depressed economy.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
smh dude's 100% a cartoon villain.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
just like one of my japanese animes :uguu
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »
He’s totally Shinji’s dad, doing what he thinks is right, no matter what he thinks the cost is, no matter how wrong, and giving zero fucks.  Unfortunately, instead of “saving the earth,” he’s mainly in charge of making rich people more rich.

I do think his stance on militarization is in the face of America becoming less reliable and eventually less relevant in the world theater. Japan may need to hunker down and defend itself eventually.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #390 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »
Quote from: Isao Takahata
You could also say, "Even if we go to war, we won't fail again. We'll be smarter. The times have changed from 70 years ago." Really? Have we advanced compared to people during the war? I don't believe that looking at the reactions of politicians after [the devastating tsunami and nuclear meltdown in March 2011], when the myth of safety around nuclear energy was shattered. Just by slithering along on our current path, we'll reach a point eventually where we'll give up, saying, "What's the use?" It's the same way we lost that war.

It's precisely because of Article 9 [in the constitution] that Japan doesn't kill anyone even if it's killed in war. It ties down our policies. Abe's policy is to completely overturn that. What's more, he isn't asking the public to amend the constitution, he's altering its interpretation.

We don't need to become a "normal country." We should continue being a unique country. If we become able to make war, we will surely make war. When the Cabinet decided to recognize collective self-defense, Article 9 was suddenly destroyed. Aren't we facing the most shocking crisis ever? I know, because I know war. What's important is the time before war begins — now. If it begins, we'll be swept away by it. So we need to completely slam on the brakes, not just a little. That's what Article 9 did.

[During World War II] there were a lot of people who cooperated reluctantly, but most of us marched down the procession of lanterns, cheering for victory. Ordinary people would call other ordinary people who didn't agree with them "unpatriotic." Young people say to "read the air." When I hear that, I fall into despair. We Japanese haven't changed at all. Cooperating with those around us is fine, but "reading the air" doesn't mean cooperation, it means agreement. Falling into step is becoming an absolute value. [...] Since old times, this attitude has led Japan into the bog of war. I call it a "slithering attitude," but whenever I hear about "reading the air," from now on I can only feel that sense of risk.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #391 on: February 26, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
Bumping this to say I'm coming over in May, gonna be mainly in Tokyo (flying in and out of NRT) but I'm up for excursions. Gonna be in the country from May 14:th to 27:th. Holla at me.
地平線

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2015, 09:55:08 AM »
That reminds me, it's time to buy some plane tickets.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Bumping this to say I'm coming over in May, gonna be mainly in Tokyo (flying in and out of NRT) but I'm up for excursions. Gonna be in the country from May 14:th to 27:th. Holla at me.

I’m in the USA for most of May... and I’m in Osaka, which is in no way Tokyo.

Hope you have a FANTASTIC trip. Tokyo is great to visit. Hope the exchange rate stays favorable to you.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #395 on: March 31, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Posted this in the Links thread, but it’s Japan enough:

https://twitter.com/arakichi1969/status/583029427115683840

Honda x Gundam

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2015, 07:05:49 AM »

Hope you have a FANTASTIC trip. Tokyo is great to visit. Hope the exchange rate stays favorable to you.

Yeah, was thinking about actually railin' it down to Kansai this time, have some other friends there that I've still not visited. Oh well.
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2015, 07:08:41 AM »

Yeah, was thinking about actually railin' it down to Kansai this time, have some other friends there that I've still not visited. Oh well.
Shit.

« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »

California?
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »

California?

Idaho for three weeks with my mother, then a week in so-cal (inland empire) for business and fun.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
ど助平

« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »

California?

Idaho for three weeks with my mother, then a week in so-cal (inland empire) for business and fun.

I'll be in Bend for Memorial Day... hint hint...

Make sure you find some Barley Browns while you're in Idaho. They're from Baker City, OR but I know Boise gets their stuff. Pallet Jack IPA and Tank Slapper DIPA are heavenly.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2015, 03:53:22 AM »
Looks like Bend, OR is 5~6 hours from Eagle, ID, so it’s unlikely that I can cruise over.  :-\ I sure appreciated the big day you gave me during my time in Seattle. You really pulled out the stops, and it was great to see Jackfrost2012 and to meet Van Cruncheon, may he be Banned In Peace.

I’ve added Barley Brown’s to my watch list. Tank Slapper is shown as a “triple IPA” on Untappd, so I’m definitely going to track that down in Idaho! Thanks for the tip!

FWIW, nature’s joke on Japan: Get warm enough to bloom all the cherry blossoms early, then piss down rain and storms for a week, starting with the first good viewing weekend. :lol

« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
I was wondering if the cherry blossoms were screwed over there. They started blooming here early March cause of the weird weather.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
Summer trip has been booked!  Will be in Tokyo on 6/21 and will be leaving on 7/3.  We're only planning on spending a day or so in Tokyo and will be going to Ishikawa pretty quickly.  Not sure what the hell I'm gonna be doing with myself other than tagging along with my wife everywhere. 
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #405 on: May 18, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
This works on so many levels:

http://www.gfycat.com/FinishedScratchyFoxhound#
:uguu

I wasn’t able to see this until today. The format didn’t work on my iOS devices.

studyguy

« Reply #406 on: May 18, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »

I wasn’t able to see this until today. The format didn’t work on my iOS devices.

That looks like a good way to choke on a roach.
pause

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #407 on: May 18, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »

That looks like a good way to choke on a roach.

There are so many stupid things done on Japanese game shows. Don’t worry: most Japanese idol-singer types are probably really good at forcing themselves to throw up.
:japancry

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #408 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
So unfortunately Reno won't be able to meet up with me in Osaka this friday so I'm gonna have to wing it. Kansai-bore got any tips? I'm coming down friday lunch and going back sat afternoon. Gonna be staying fairly close to the Namba area.
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #409 on: May 18, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
So unfortunately Reno won't be able to meet up with me in Osaka this friday so I'm gonna have to wing it. Kansai-bore got any tips? I'm coming down friday lunch and going back sat afternoon. Gonna be staying fairly close to the Namba area.

God dammit, you are right in my neck of the proverbial woods, but I’m in the USA for another week.

Namba is where it’s at, though Umeda is nice as well. What kind of things do you want to do?

What the hell is Reno’s problem, anyway?

T-Short

• hooker strangler
The Japan Thread
« Reply #410 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
Not really got any special preferences, obviously going to check out some shopping, but if you have any tips for good eateries and drinkeries I'd be a happy chappy!
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2015, 01:25:45 AM »
Ipūdõ Ramen is my favorite noodle shop. Macho Ramen is a great one-off as well, but it's hard to find.
Daikichi Tenpura is quite tasty and fun.
Nipponbashi is Osaka's version of Akihabara, but I like it better. Just as geeky, but less cold.
There is an awesome Mandarake if you get out to Amerikamura, which is about 15 min. walk north from Namba.
Kuromon Shoutengai/market is touristy but interesting.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
Stupid question: Are Nipponbashi and DenDen Town the same thing?  I went to DenDen in Osaka and was not as impressed with the offerings I found, but maybe I just went to the wrong places.  I wonder if I can get to Osaka while I'm there next month.  I've only been to Osaka once and did not find it as appealing as Tokyo, but I should give it another chance.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »
Quick Google search shows that DenDen is indeed Nipponbashi.
ど助平

« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
Macho Ramen rules. Let me see if I can find the directions I wrote up to get there.

And yeah DenDen is smaller, but I liked it a lot more than Akihabara.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Right now my plan is: Get to Tokyo on 6/21.  Meet my buddy Z and go look for shit in Aki and maybe Nakano Broadway.  Get my Vita modded with HDMI out at a shop in Aki.  Buy games n' toys n' other nerd shit.  Leave Tokyo on the evening of 6/22.  Go to Ishikawa for the rest of the time and wonder what the hell to do with myself.  I wonder if the in-laws will be upset if I try to go off somewhere. 
ど助平

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
Yeah, we were planning on going to Ippudo so I'll look into trying that. Macho Ramen sounds intriguing too!
地平線

« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »
Yeah, we were planning on going to Ippudo so I'll look into trying that. Macho Ramen sounds intriguing too!

Found my post about Maccho on GAF:

Input this in Google Maps: 自家製太麺 ドカ盛 マッチョ 難波千日前, 中央区日本橋2-7-22 Osaka, Ōsaka-fu

Dokamori Maccho

Follow the directions, go inside and order the normal ramen with garlic and big noodles. No English whatsoever, but it's a vending machine ticket place, and the employees will help
you out.

野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
Mr. Gundam, kindly do not make me homesick while I am enjoying the phat life here in Los Estados Unidos. Macho Ramen is so tasty and non-pretentious.

Nipponbashi and DenDen Town are the same thing, but the latter is just a local name for it, while the former is its official chi-mei. It’s smaller than Akiba, sure, but the people are nicer. I’d guess the prices are similar.

« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
Prices seemed about the same between Aki and DenDen when I was there last year. I was really only looking for recent games, no obscure or retro stuff.
野球