Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 168351 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #540 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »

~$10-15 a day for food

:confused

Well I was listing the cheap end.  From all my experiences food is cheaper in Japan than California.  I usually eat twice a day at lunch/dinner and if I'm not going restaurant or sushi or something it's usually around 700-800 yen a meal at like a ramen place, or tempura, or curry, or mos burger, etc.... Even in CA when I'm eating out I'll spend $10-15 a day for food.  I get lunch at the mom & pop Mexican place across from my office for $5.99.

Then again, I weigh like 130-140 pounds and don't need to eat much to be full.

This is his first trip over there.  I'd be taking some of that budget and eating well.  Stay at a nice place or two.  Go for like 10 days if that doesn't fit into two weeks.  When I would go around by myself, I usually would stay at business hotels in areas convenient to train lines.  Was like 6000-8000 yen a night.  Hostels  :yuck  I recommend Toyoko-Inn.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #541 on: January 18, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »
Also, if you still want data access and don't want to pay a fortune for roaming (or deal with swapping SIM cards) I recommend getting a month-to-month T-Mobile subscription. Their standard plan includes unlimited 150kbit/sec access in Japan, and it works a treat. (You won't be watching Youtube or Netflix, but for maps and finding places it's perfect)

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

I don't know how the pricing compares but I used this pocket wifi hotspot for my last trip and it was amazing.  Completely changed how I travel in Japan having full fast cell phone access everywhere.  I didn't even use my hotel's wifi, I'd run my phone/ipad/laptop & my ex ran hers all off just one of these things.  Was worth the $60-120 for a couple weeks.

~$10-15 a day for food

:confused

Well I was listing the cheap end.  From all my experiences food is cheaper in Japan than California.  I usually eat twice a day at lunch/dinner and if I'm not going restaurant or sushi or something it's usually around 700-800 yen a meal at like a ramen place, or tempura, or curry, or mos burger, etc.... Even in CA when I'm eating out I'll spend $10-15 a day for food.  I get lunch at the mom & pop Mexican place across from my office for $5.99.

Then again, I weigh like 130-140 pounds and don't need to eat much to be full.

This is his first trip over there.  I'd be taking some of that budget and eating well.  Stay at a nice place or two.  Go for like 10 days if that doesn't fit into two weeks.  When I would go around by myself, I usually would stay at business hotels in areas convenient to train lines.  Was like 6000-8000 yen a night.  Hostels  :yuck  I recommend Toyoko-Inn.

Yeah, there's a wide range.  Just go wherever your budget fits and what you're willing to stay in.  Like when I was doing 21 and doing JET I was fine staying in a $25/night hostel in Asakusa for TGS, but when I was in my later 20s I'd stay at like business $80/night hotels near Shingawa station, and now in my mid-30s I'm cool with spending more and staying at nice $200/night places.  You get what you pay for.

Although with food I feel like the quality of food in Japan is so high compared to USA, that you can still eat really good delicious meals for less than you'd spend in the USA.  Just depends on what you like.  Ramen is my #1 food in Japan, so that's pretty cheap!  Same with beer and Izakaya food ;)  I'm also not much of a sushi person so that saves me money.  I'm fine just grabbing like 2 plates off a conveyer belt and being done.  Would rather eat light meals and snack on good Japanese snacks like crepes between :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:24:33 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #542 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
Also, you have to go to KFC once and get the chicken tenders (which are tempura battered).  Like people  ::) when they hear about it, but every person I've taken to Japan, when I take them to KFC and they have the chicken tenders they're like "this is fucking delicious!" also the Katsu sandwhich is pretty great too.  Any Japan trip I go to KFC at least once to get tenders + katsu sandwhich.  When I used to live in Japan KFC would be my guilty pleasure.  I wish so much that we could get tempura tenders here in the USA.  Otoh, I don't really feel like any of the Japan unique stuff at the other western chains like McDonalds/Pizza Hut are anything special and worth going out of the way for.  KFC is the only one that is just leagues above its US counterpart.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #543 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »
Bebpo knows more about traveling in Japan than I do, and all that advice looks fantastic!

It is definitely true that it costs less to eat decent food in Japan than it does in California. You can get away with three to ¥500 for breakfast, ¥400 to ¥800 for lunch, and the same for dinner. Izakaya  food is meant to be shared, so if you go in by yourself, you're going to spend a lot of money. If you are dining with several other people it tends to be more reasonable.

I've never stayed in a Japanese hostel, now I feel like I've missed out.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #544 on: January 20, 2017, 02:56:24 AM »
It's definitely harder to know about traveling and have advice for tourists when you actually live in the country. Like how are we supposed to know about which hotel to stay at in the middle of a town we live in, where we already have somewhere to live? It's only logical. So I know jackshit about rental Wi-Fi and the like. :lol

But on that note, Bebpo is giving some pretty solid advice. I'd love to go on more daytrips as well, people say Hakone/Nikko is nice for that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: January 20, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
I would like to pimp my former stomping grounds of Kanazawa, Ishikawa.   Go check out Kenrokuen garden and Kanazawa Castle.  See the NINJA TEMPLE (not really a ninja thing).  See the Higashichaya Old Town and get a glimpse of what a part of Japan untouched by the bombings from WWII looks like.  You can get to Kanazawa by bullet train in just a couple of hours.  :) 

Did I mention that Ishikawa is a peninsula, so most of the cities are on the water and the seafood is super fresh?  100 times better than what you typically get in Tokyo.  Their fish market is famous...Anthony Bourdain recently went there to try some food with a famous Japanese chef from the area, who has restaurants in NYC and Vegas.

ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #546 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
I'm actually booking a Japan trip for this spring myself, been trying to get my mom out to Kyoto for like 15 years (my dad & brother visited me when I was living in Japan so they've been) and she finally agreed to go with my dad this year if I go and tour guide them around.  Now I'm thinking since every time I go I like to check out at least one new area, to take an additional week after they leave and solo either take the new Shinkansen and go up to Sapporo and mainland Hokkaido, or go to Shikoku or Kyuushu.  Hokkaido seems the most appealing and the weather will be nice and cold in mid/late May vs starting to get warm/humid in Kyuushu.  Anyone been up to Hokkaido in the spring/summer?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #547 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Only once to Hokkaido in summer; it's pleasant compared to everything south. Still muggy, but not bad. Most homes didn't have air conditioners because they never needed them, just heaters. Now it's getting warmer, and indoors gets a bit close feeling.

When you're coming to Kyoto, let me know. I'll come out and meet you.

Bebpo

« Reply #548 on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
Ended up deciding not to take an extra week since work and not sure if I want do 3 weeks in Japan or Hokkaido solo currently.  So just doing the 10-13 day Tokyo/Onsen/Kyoto tour in May post-Golden Week.  I think I'll spend a night in Matsumoto since I've never been to the castle and it's supposed to be nice.  If I'm in Kyoto for a week, may do some day trips somewhere new.  Been to Nara/Kobe/Osaka/Iga/Hiroshima, so will need to look around for something. 

Only once to Hokkaido in summer; it's pleasant compared to everything south. Still muggy, but not bad. Most homes didn't have air conditioners because they never needed them, just heaters. Now it's getting warmer, and indoors gets a bit close feeling.

When you're coming to Kyoto, let me know. I'll come out and meet you.

For sure!  Or maybe I can head over to Osaka for a night.  My parents aren't really interested in cities, just nature, so the majority of the trip will be based around Kyoto area.  I think we're only going to be in Tokyo for like 2 days (just enough time for me to sneak in some game shopping ;) )

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #549 on: January 31, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
Alright, I'm coming over in September this year, just booked so gonna be j-side from Sept 9:th to 25:th. Itinerary not yet set but I'll be poppin' in Kanto and Kansai as per usual.
地平線

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #550 on: March 28, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »
It's kind of funny reading other people's itineraries and how close it is to what I recommend to others.

Back when I traveled to Japan for the first time 10+ years ago I basically had to figure out my own travel plans and rely on my Japanese friends for recommendations. I wasn't aware of any English speaking online communities at the time and although I was heavily involved in gaming circles, no one other than expats visited Japan. I didn't know anyone else who'd been there to rely on for help and a lot of the places I see mentioned I had never even heard of until I was in Japan, so it's funny to see other people basically arrive at the same conclusions I did. Even the game journos I met up with while I was out at TGS didn't really travel the country other than to go to TGS.

Conveniently in my first trip there I had an entire month to figure it out but I would, literally on a whim, wake up and just head out to places like Nikko/Kamakura because the friend I was staying with mentioned it was a nice place to see. Hell, I even just booked it to Miyajima, before it even became a well known tourist trap, only because I was staying with a buddy in Kyoto and he said it was "close enough" to Hiroshima, lol. For my next trip I want to head outside of the gaijin comfort zone and head out to less talked about locations like Tottori, Kumamoto, Iwate, and Tokushima.

Still trying to convince demi to go on a trip with me. :-\
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:45:19 AM by a slime appears »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #551 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
I'd like to go see Okinawa.

This morning I said to my wife that I'd like to go back to Osaka and give it another chance, so to speak.  (I like Tokyo much more in comparison)

I don't know if I can stand another one or two week stay strictly in Ishikawa.  That shit drove me insane last time.
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #552 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
Man Okinawa is a good idea. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gonna be SUPER IGNORANT here but isn't it just like a Hawaii 2.0? That's the gist I got from a Japanese friend who's been there. I only ask 'cause it's probably cheaper for me to head to Hawaii instead of Okinawa, lol.

« Reply #553 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
Back in Japan in about a year from now. In the past it's always been just my wife and I, but we're taking our daughter (she'll be six) and two couples and their kids are coming with us this time.

Gonna be SUPER IGNORANT here but isn't it just like a Hawaii 2.0? That's the gist I got from a Japanese friend who's been there. I only ask 'cause it's probably cheaper for me to head to Hawaii instead of Okinawa, lol.

It's like Oahu (I like to call Honolulu America Light for Japanese tourists) but even more Japanese.

But seriously, lots of cool history about the Ryukyu people and their culture.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »

Dunno since I've never been there before.  All I know is that there's a large 'Murican presence because of the bases.  I assume it's got plenty of touristy areas but probably isn't as overkill with it as Hawaii is.  There's gotta be some old Ryukyu kingdom stuff to see...right?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #555 on: March 28, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
Yeah, I've never been too interested in Okinawa since Hawaii is much closer.  For myself, I definitely want to check out main Hokkaido (February ice festival, summer biking), Kyushu and Shikoku first.  I had a close friend living in Kagoshima for like a decade, but still never made it out to Kyushu.  The most interesting things in Kyushu seemed to be the food stands from what I've been told.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #556 on: March 29, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »
 I've been to Okinawa twice, and enjoyed it both times. People are friendly, and the food is fantastic.

It is like Hawaii, except  it was considered a local alternative during the bubble, and all of its growth seems to have stopped then.

It's not as shabby as Guam,  and there are plenty more historical sites then either Guam or Hawaii.  My friend and I visited the site of Hacksaw Ridge couple years ago, and he visited the suicide cliff were so many Okinawans dove to their death, panicked that the Americans would be invading as the Japanese imperial forces abandoned them.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #557 on: April 10, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201704100028.html

FUKUSAKI, Hyogo Prefecture--His folklore characters have been scaring children for more than a century, and Kunio Yanagita’s “kappa” water spirit kept up the tradition at the spring festival here on April 8.

The long-haired demon, given the character name of Gajiro, was there for a benevolent reason, to help sell a special kappa curry created in honor of Yanagita (1875-1962), who came from Fukusaki. But the kids at the event didn’t seem to be too keen to try the dish.

“He is scary!” and “I don’t like him!” were two of the concerned reactions overheard.

:lol

Japan, man. Even the mascot o-bake can't catch a break.

Bebpo

« Reply #558 on: April 24, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
So, about to go to Japan and a little concerned about all the US-Korea chest beating going on.  What's the general feel of Japanese people these days?  Are people nervous about a potential war breaking out nearby?  Or is everyone just going about their day like normal going "not this shit again"?  From what I hear in South Korea it's the latter.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #559 on: April 25, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »
So, about to go to Japan and a little concerned about all the US-Korea chest beating going on.  What's the general feel of Japanese people these days?  Are people nervous about a potential war breaking out nearby?  Or is everyone just going about their day like normal going "not this shit again"?  From what I hear in South Korea it's the latter.

"Is Trump as dumb as he seems?" To which I answer, "Yes."
"North Korea seems out of its mind. Still."

Everyone's going about their daily business.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
Are you gonna be harvested by chrono when in Japan like the rest of this forum?

Bebpo

« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
Yup, already got our plans on  :)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:37 PM »
Are you gonna be harvested by chrono when in Japan like the rest of this forum?

If you get your Butt to Osaka, I'll harvest you just the same.  :cody

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #563 on: April 26, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
That sounds really scary. Ya'll probably just a bunch of axe murderers

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #564 on: April 27, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
That sounds really scary. Ya'll probably just a bunch of axe murderers

That was a long time ago, and technically it wasn't an axe.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #565 on: April 27, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
While everyone else were killing people with axes, chrono was busy studying the blade.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #566 on: April 27, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »
So that's why he moved to Japan. :ohhh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #567 on: April 27, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »
I would like to go to Osaka and meet Chronovore.  That's pretty much the reason I'd like to go back there.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
That and Den Den Town.  I need my otaku crap.  :doge
[close]
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #568 on: April 27, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
I go to Osaka just for Chrono.  He's worth it!  I like Denden, but I'm satisfied with like once every 10 years visit.  It's too retro for me and I'm a PS1-onwards guy.  I do love the Gundam store though, so many cool models to eyeball.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #569 on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »
I would like to go to Osaka and meet Chronovore.  That's pretty much the reason I'd like to go back there.
That and Den Den Town.  I need my otaku crap.  :doge
[close]
I go to Osaka just for Chrono.  He's worth it!  I like Denden, but I'm satisfied with like once every 10 years visit.  It's too retro for me and I'm a PS1-onwards guy.  I do love the Gundam store though, so many cool models to eyeball.
:uguu

You guys…

I prefer Nihonbashi/Otaku Road to Akiba. It's more casual, and the people don't seem to be as jaded about foreigners yet. There are HORDES of Chinese and SE Asian tourists now, so it may all change. I sure see more signs in English about what's forbidden, so I assume Rules Have Been Repeatedly Broken.

I'll scope the Gundam Store more thoroughly next time I'm on a wander. I've only been through the first floor, because I don't much care about Gundam.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #570 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Never heard of those. Is it Osaka's Akiba? Fun fact: I didn't know what Akiba was first time I went to Japan, or why my im@s obsessed Twitter friends dragged me there. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #571 on: April 27, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
Never heard of those. Is it Osaka's Akiba? Fun fact: I didn't know what Akiba was first time I went to Japan, or why my im@s obsessed Twitter friends dragged me there. :lol
Yeah, exactly right. It has all kinds of animation and mecha themed stores.  Both areas have their origins as electronic specialty stores centers, and later converted to mostly geek interests. The otaku culture has shaped them to their present state.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #572 on: April 27, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Even though I don't really watch anime, I've always loved the art, fanart and the merchandise! Love cool t-shirts, little widgets and stuff like that. I'm a bit girly there, and like the pastel stuff (like Creamy Mami), cute stuff and so on. Love Japanese fashion! Omocat has lota cool designs (although there are people who don't like her, I don't care about the drama). Some call this weeb fashion but idgaf. :lol All in moderation. https://www.omocat-shop.com/collections/sweaters

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #573 on: April 27, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »
I have a soft spot for '70s-'90s anime, and love the character/mecha designs and such, but anime seems to have increasingly crawled up its own ass in an ouroboros-like attempt to appeal to its already-overserved core audience.

Urusei Yatsura or Ranma appeal to EVERYONE. Crayon Shinchan is funny to everyone. But girls whose legs turn into battleships, or an academy for lesbian witches begins from an intent which itself is highly suspect.

Bebpo

« Reply #574 on: May 24, 2017, 06:55:50 PM »
Oh hey, now that I'm back from Japan and caught up with things needed catching up on, this is a good time to write up a bit about some cool stuff I saw on this trip:

Kyoto Manga Museum - I didn't expect too much out of this, but this place blew me away. It's not just a really cool manga museum dedicated to the history of manga (browsing through 1940s/1950s manga is super neat), but it also doubles as a museum about the old primary school which become the manga museum after the school closed down. You get to walk up and down the authentic old early 1900s woodwork stairways of an elementary school while the most depressingly sad ghibli-esque music plays and look at the old 1870s-1990 photographs of the principals from black and white and in oldschool robes to modern suits. You see the photos of the teachers and kids over the last 100 of years. Idk, it might have had more of an effect on me because I used to teach at a Japanese elementary school (as well as Jr. High), but I found the place really moving and absolutely wonderful. As good as the Ghibli Museum in a different way. Plus the gift shop had lots of cool Godzilla things.

Enoshima Island - This place was amazing! The entire island is an attraction theme park basically. You cross a long bridge from the mainland where there's beaches and beach town stuff (Hawaii burgers, etc...; has a very hawaii-vibe) and then you get to the island and follow this route along shrines, flower gardens, lighthouses and then it winds down to really cool caves at the bottom with ancient carvings in them (although there's a super cheesy dragon that flashes lightning everytime you clap twice -_-). They also do boat rides from the back end to the shore both ways so you can take one back or take one at the start and work through Enoshima backwards. Lots of places to grab bites, snacks and enjoy the view. Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that Enoshima was a volcanic island that floating into Japan some hundreds/thousands of years back. I watched a video at the Science Museum in Ueno and the pictures looked like it was saying that.

Hakone - Finally got out to Hakone after hearing good things about it from travel websites. Was hoping to get a nice beautiful view of Fuji and enjoy cool places. Couldn't see Fuji at all  :lol and the place, while green and forest and scenic, was ridiculously packed with American and Chinese tourists and everything was really slow and far apart. The selling point of Hakone is the 5 ways of transportation where you take a train up a mountain on a pretty scenic track, take 2 sets of cable cars over the forest then a boat ride across the lake and then a bus back to the station. This takes MANY HOURS and after about 5-10 mins you've gotten the view from each thing and are just packed with everyone else for the rest. The other thing is that Hakone is a hot spring place and I was just going for the day scenery so I didn't go to the onsen (went onsen elsewhere) and I could see that being nice, but overall Hakone seemed pretty boring and overrun by tourists and if I realized Bitsummit was going on that day (was sorta aware from some posts on fb but didn't pay much attention) I really should've gone to Kyoto and done that instead. Would not recommend Hakone and won't be coming back.

Fwiw, Enoshima seems undiscovered by Western/Chinese tourists at this point and was not too crowded since it was just Japanese tourists, which was nice. I found out about Enoshima from an Asian Kung-Fu Generation song Enoshima Escar and then later from the anime Tsuritama that's about fishing and aliens in Enoshima. Enoshima is cool!

Matsumoto - Finally got out to see the castle in Matsumoto. Was ok. It's a big deal because it's the oldest authentic major castle in Japan, but it's basically empty because of it whereas some of the rebuilt ones have cool museums and things in them. The best part is the good ole castle climbing and not dying experiences. Just as thrilling as a rollercoaster, but once you've done one castle you've done them all imo. Having been to Nagoya, Hirosaki, Osaka, Himeji, Matsumoto castles and probably a few other small ones, I definitely liked Himeji the best, but Osaka one is nice for convenience.

And outside of the castle there is not much to do in Matsumoto. Basically hung out at the mall tower records mini and the small arcade (with no actual real games) for the night I was there.

Tsukiji - Never been before because not really a fish person, but it was really cool. We took a tour and our guide had a deal with one of the Shenmue cart drivers and we got to hop on and seemingly try to run over people as they jumped out of the way. Then we bought some fish and made sushi which was cool.

Otherwise just basically went to places I'd been before in Tokyo (Senso-ji, Ueno Park, Shibuya, Akihabara), Kyoto (Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Arashiyama) and Osaka (Aquarium, Den Den Town) which were all good as always. Had a really great Tonkatsu at Ganko Namba with Chronovore and had a really good Ganko meal at the mall outside the Osaka Aquarium (great sushi), so now I know Ganko is where its at in Osaka. Also had Shandygaff (which apparently is a thing now in Japan?) with Troidal at an Izakaya in Shibuya. I guess it's an old English ginger beer drink, but never seen it before in the states. Was weird, basically Chu-Hai Beer.

Narita airport was nice as always. Spent a decent amount of time in Tower in Shibuya at the listening stations checking out different new bands. Picked up the 2nd Ep of Moshimo cause they remind me a bit of some of the late Go!Go!7188 that I was into (which became the experimental band Chirinuruwowaka).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:05:15 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #575 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
A new spot opened on Friday offering a multinational experience with servers from Brazil, China, Taiwan, Germany, Italy, the U.S., France, and Indonesia. Dubbed "Sugoi Kawaii," the cafe is "of, by, and for gaijin" (foreigners).

:donot

Sugoi Kawaii is called a café but its menu specializes in alcohol.
:leon
[close]
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #576 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
A new spot opened on Friday offering a multinational experience with servers from Brazil, China, Taiwan, Germany, Italy, the U.S., France, and Indonesia. Dubbed "Sugoi Kawaii," the cafe is "of, by, and for gaijin" (foreigners).

:donot

Sugoi Kawaii is called a café but its menu specializes in alcohol.
:leon
[close]

This can only end in tears.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #577 on: August 27, 2017, 01:10:10 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/gatebox-ai-the-japanese-amazon-echo-photos-2016-12

Well, hell. Instead of fostering a culture where men can be taught to interact with women healthily, why not provide a small one trapped in a cage who doesn't mind being stuck in a permanent support role?

:japancry

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #578 on: August 27, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
In Super Bunnyhop's first Japan travel video, there's a part where he's using PSVR in a hotel room, interacting with some virtual idol. One of his friends in the background called it a 'give up' machine.

This is another 'give up' machine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:42:31 AM by Rufus »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #579 on: August 28, 2017, 04:00:17 AM »
My trip is coming up, gonna be in J-land from Sept 9:th through 25:th :uguu
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #580 on: August 28, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »

Are you coming to Kansai, bae?

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #581 on: August 29, 2017, 03:33:31 AM »

Are you coming to Kansai, bae?

I am! 13:th to 15:th!
地平線

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #582 on: August 29, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »
Missile matsuri in Osaka!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #583 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:29 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #584 on: September 04, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
大阪のみなさん、ついに今日から2週間後の9/19にオープンします!スケジュールを覚えておいてね。そして、初日は先着100名様にタコスと限定Tシャツをプレゼント!さらにコンボがゲット出来るVIPカードもお渡しします。オープンは9/19の朝10時です! You probably already knew this though. lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
Yeah, a friend and I just last week visited the spot where Taco Bell Jesus will be born. It's going to be INSANE for the next several months, so I'll likely go visit on a weekday instead.

In Bore terms, it's the spot on the south side of the Osaka region bridge in Yakuza 0. The real name is Dotonboribashi, can't remember the in-game name for it now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #586 on: September 05, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Yeah, a friend and I just last week visited the spot where Taco Bell Jesus will be born

:rejoice

I think I'm gonna have to hit the Bell today for lunch in celebration.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #587 on: September 05, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
Yeah, a friend and I just last week visited the spot where Taco Bell Jesus will be born

:rejoice

I think I'm gonna have to hit the Bell today for lunch in celebration.

Funny thing is, after YEARS of nothing but near-miss, expensive garbage Mexican in Osaka (El Pancho, Pink Adobe (gone)), there is finally El Zocalo, a real-deal burrito shop with legit carnitas, and they serve craft beer. It's pricey, but it's really good. Now Taco Bell is rolling in, it almost makes me feel at home.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #588 on: September 05, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
A lot of people from the US have shown disappointment over the Japanese Taco Bell food. :(

I only ate at Taco Bell once when in the US but it's so long ago I can't remember what it was like.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #589 on: September 06, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
A lot of people from the US have shown disappointment over the Japanese Taco Bell food. :(

I only ate at Taco Bell once when in the US but it's so long ago I can't remember what it was like.

I had 3-hour-old Taco Bell food, after it traveled from Tokyo to Osaka. It was about what you'd expect. I was still grateful. The thing is, even crappy fast food is expensive compared to local options.

Taco Bell in the USA is insanely cheap. Eating it in Japan is mainly for nostalgia. Shit, even Krispy Kreme donuts are over US$2/each here. They're not going for that in the USA, are they?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: September 08, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
Pretty sure Krispy Kreme doughnuts are a dollar or so.  Also nobody cares about them the way people went nutso when they came to Japan.  Around these parts people lose their shit over various little bakeries here and there. 

I remember long lines and people going crazy over Coldstone Creamery when I was living over there.  Is that still a thing?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #591 on: September 08, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Krispy Kreme is kinda terrible in the US compared to other donut alternatives. But in Japan considering the Japanese donut is so different, I could see Krispy Kreme being more popular.
Didn't realize Cold Stone was in Japan. I like Cold Stone, soft ice cream/gellato > cold hard ice cream.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #592 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
There are a few Coldstone, but it seems like no1curr.

Krispy Kreme are wayyyyyy to sweet for the Japanese palate. They are mainly purchased as a novelty, unlike Mr. Donut, which are so ubiquitous that they seem to be a staple.

I had a funny thing happen today: I was downtown for the 2nd day in a row, and had a chance to try a burger place I'd not been to. It looked like their most basic one was ¥850, and their cheeseburger was "process cheese" instead of actual cheese, like cheddar. The waitress asked what I'd like to drink, and I wasn't ready to beer up just yet (at ¥700-¥1000 addition), so I asked for water.

"The burger is a set-menu, and you'll have to order a drink."

"Beer isn't one of the drinks I can choose, is it?"

"No, that's separate. Please choose from this list."

So I get a club soda and am STOKED that my ¥850 burger comes with a beverage, AWESOME!

The burger is pretty good! It seems like they grind their own beef, as there's a challenging bit of gristle in it. The flavor is spot-on! The fries are tasty, too. YES!

Except, when I pay my bill, it's ¥1200. The club soda is an additional ¥350, or an additional 40% of the burger's price, for a drink I didn't even want. There's a bakery near my home that also insists on a drink purchase for on-site consumption, but they're up front about it. Saying something is part of a "set" means everything's included; it wasn't. I asked my wife if this is normal in Japan, she said it's weird and dumb, because it'll alienate customers. Yup.

OTOH, I has some seriously good apple pie today, and I'll definitely be going back there.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:20:01 PM by chronovore »

Bebpo

« Reply #593 on: September 09, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty bs.

That's sorta like how over here some fast food places like Carls Jr or Del Taco when you order a combo they'll respond with "do you want to make that large?" and if you say no, they'll give you the medium one even though the pricing is for the small size combo. So you have to specifically say no, I want small size or a small size combo #. Basically they try to trick you and charge you more for stuff you don't want and it's a bit annoying.

At least the apple pie was good!

I used to not like Japanese donuts because they weren't sweet enough just like all the deserts in Japan, but American donuts are too sweet (especially crispy creme which is way too sweet) for me, so I actually like the Japanese Mr. Donut type stuff for breakfast with a coffee when I'm in Japan. Either that or bakery breads + coffee. That being said for actual desserts like cakes I'm still not a fan of the less sweet Japanese versions. I want my chocolate to taste like delicious sweet chocolate!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #594 on: September 09, 2017, 06:57:36 PM »
Haha, yeah! I'm a fan of Mr. Donut style donuts now, too, and the less-sweet cakes are still not my thing. That said, I'm ALWAYS down for a maple bar when I'm in the USA, because I haven't found them ANYWHERE in Japan.

That pie was fucking great, btw.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #595 on: September 15, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
Trip is going well so far, I'm posting photos here FYI:

https://t-shortography.tumblr.com
地平線

Bebpo

« Reply #596 on: September 15, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
Wow, gorgeous photos. Very impressive! Also looks like a good time :)

I thought this shot is damn amazing, all the colors pop, the depth and framing, and the expressions on everyone's faces.

https://t-shortography.tumblr.com/image/165280250100

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #597 on: September 16, 2017, 04:59:41 AM »
In all sincerity, you have a fucking phenomenal eye. Great photos, such a sense of place and atmosphere!

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #598 on: September 16, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
Thank you bros, とんでもないです  :-[
地平線

Beezy

« Reply #599 on: November 26, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »
I'm not sure when I last checked this thread, but I'm finally trying to plan a 2 to 2.5 week long trip to Japan in March 2018 and I have no idea where to start. Help please.

Should I just start by reading through this thread? Can I bombard you all with questions? I'm a bit anxious because I'll be alone for most of the trip and this will be just my 2nd time visiting somewhere outside of the US. The first was Phuket, Thailand this past August, but they were really accommodating to tourists and most people spoke a decent amount of English. I don't know what to expect from Japan.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:56:16 PM by Beezy »