Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 169308 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #960 on: November 10, 2022, 04:22:47 AM »

I miss this kind of batshit weird advertisement in Japan.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #961 on: November 10, 2022, 07:30:56 AM »
Never would have expected that such a long, crazy advertisement would be for that particular kind of product!  :lol
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #962 on: November 10, 2022, 10:23:20 AM »
Flying into Narita in 3 weeks but hoping to go west to Kyoto/Osaka this time. Unfortunately it was short notice so I only have a week. Went in October 3 years ago but mostly stayed in the Tokyo area aside from a day trip to Nikko.

Any neighborhood(accommodation) and restaurant recommendations would be welcome! :)

Interested in recommendations, as well. As much as I’ve put it off, deadline to go is in two weeks. But don’t need to be in Tokyo for a while. Every time I’ve been in and around Osaka, it was for work. Thinking of spending free time there.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #963 on: November 10, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »
What do you like?

Osaka is mainly famous for food.

Bebpo

« Reply #964 on: November 11, 2022, 02:26:51 AM »
Hey Chronovore, I've got a Japanese language question for you.

In the old Chu Chu Rocket ad, I still remember it because it ends with the rocket taking off and the singer/narrator going zubabababa!!! which sounds funny af and was memorable.

I've never heard that word/sound effect whatever it is until yesterday when I was playing Super Robot Wars and the Mazinkaiser theme song came on and it did the zubababa.

(at the 30 second mark). Also sounds a little different like zupapam in this one but I feel like it's probably the same SE as in that Chu Chu Rocket commercial.

Do you have any idea what that word means? I assume it's verbal sound effect of like a rocket taking off kinda noise or something, but now I'm curious. It just seems super rare since I've only heard it in two places now in like 25 years of Japanese.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #965 on: November 14, 2022, 03:21:04 AM »
2 minutes of google, and I'm more lost than when I began.

https://zubabababaaaan.com/

I think it's just the stuttery, fluttery onomatopoeia thing for bursts of speed or rumbling engines. I've never heard it before today.

Bebpo

« Reply #966 on: November 14, 2022, 11:36:31 AM »
2 minutes of google, and I'm more lost than when I began.

https://zubabababaaaan.com/

I think it's just the stuttery, fluttery onomatopoeia thing for bursts of speed or rumbling engines. I've never heard it before today.

Thanks! Yeah, google was getting me nowhere for English results. Seems very, very rarely used. Although to be fair I never read the sfx in manga so it might be used regularly in those.

That Chu Chu Rocket ad was so memorable, I hadn't heard it in 10-15 years and the second I heard that word again last week the first thing I remembered was that commercial song. That ad along with the Pikmin song Japanese ad are pretty much the most memorable Japanese game ads in my lifetime so far.

Quaker

« Reply #967 on: November 20, 2022, 04:54:50 PM »

The Ashinoko Skyline, a private toll road in the city of Hakone plays the song when driven over at a constant speed.[14] The music is created from the vehicle's tires due to specially built tarmac surface.[15]
:pika

I'm going full weeb when I go back.

https://fun2drive.co.jp/cars/
It took two years, but I'm a man of my word...

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UXmh31MxtReaWnBw6
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 05:05:56 PM by Quaker »

Bebpo

« Reply #968 on: November 20, 2022, 05:09:07 PM »
Looks like an awesome trip.

Quaker

« Reply #969 on: November 20, 2022, 05:59:22 PM »
Yeah, it was last minute so I only had a week but we got perfect weather(no rain until it started drizzling on the tarmac before our return flight), a strong dollar to yen conversion rate and very few tourists. I want to go back next year but it sucks knowing that I won't get that lucky again, especially since I didn't really get to do much shopping/exploring in Tokyo this time around.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #970 on: November 20, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
Toyota Supra :uguu
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #971 on: November 23, 2022, 01:10:19 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #972 on: November 25, 2022, 12:57:56 AM »

Polident Hive

« Reply #973 on: November 27, 2022, 02:35:07 AM »
Ikebukuro Mikado fixed the elevator door on Elevator Action Death Parade  :rejoice

Polident Hive

« Reply #974 on: November 30, 2022, 12:29:50 AM »
Plans changed and I’m mostly in and around Tokyo. Can’t complain. Seeing sites in Kyoto and Osaka’s Nintendo park when tourism was still muted would’ve been nice. Just happy to be here.

Saw the Gundam in Yokohama. Nerd shit— it’s not the standard RX-78-2 dialing into 0079 nostalgia. There’s some of that. What the start up sequence reminded me of was radio chatter in Ace Combat and EDF games. Currently there’s some theme based around Witch of something or other. Still, cool as hell to see it move up close. Dock ticket to take the elevator up ain’t really worth it at 3x yen of the entrance fee. Entrance fee gets you in and basic gunpla kit.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #975 on: November 30, 2022, 12:33:33 AM »
Glad you're having a good time.

I was in Kyoto last weekend for the first time in ages, and it was crowded. Not nearly the level of pre-COVID, but still quite busy.

My old neighborhood where I lived in 1994 has turned into hipster central. There's a brewpub with beer brewed in vats on-site, and a coffeehouse with a 30-minute line for takeaway java. :lol

Polident Hive

« Reply #976 on: November 30, 2022, 06:45:38 AM »
Shockingly I haven’t seen that many lines. Last time I was around, pre-COVID, maybe four years ago, lines were ridiculous. Only time this past week, saw five to seven people lined up. As I kept walking I saw it continue deep into the side alley. Later checked and it’s some tonkatsu place called Tonta… kinda wishing I joined the line.

Haven’t gone to any “busy” areas in Tokyo aside from Ikebukuro. It’s hardly empty. Compared to what it was? Feels like 40% as congested. Same for Yokohama’s Chinatown. Early next year I’m supposed to be back for longer, with more free time, but it’s a sweet spot right now I imagine won’t last too long.

Also, minor culture shock. There’s now a stop between Tamachi and Shinagawa.

Quaker

« Reply #977 on: December 01, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »
How long are you staying? I wish I had gotten to explore tokyo and do some thrift shopping at Hard-Off and gotten to try more restaurants and gimmick collabs though.

Bebpo

« Reply #978 on: December 02, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »
http://www.shopncsx.com/4589573462942.aspx

Sometimes the capsule toy stuff is so good in Japan. Like the audience for this is extremely niche, but for that audience this is super fucking cool. I'd get these at 500yen a pop but not at that USD for the full set.

Polident Hive

« Reply #979 on: December 04, 2022, 02:32:00 AM »
Just yesterday I saw a capsule machine selling cellphone charms of old flip phones from the 00s.

How long are you staying? I wish I had gotten to explore tokyo and do some thrift shopping at Hard-Off and gotten to try more restaurants and gimmick collabs though.

Still here a couple of days. In total about two weeks. The planning sucked, but was out of my hands. Using the free time to go off and do nearby activities. So I got lucky to be near the Yokohama Gundam.

Next year, probably February, looking forward to more time. Maybe if I reserve now I can see the goddamn Kirby cafe by then.

Polident Hive

« Reply #980 on: December 07, 2022, 12:54:12 AM »
Slowly losing my mind as I hear the 357th remix of Last Christmas.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #981 on: August 23, 2023, 11:57:48 PM »
After 7-8 years, we were all set to head over to Japan this past weekend and then I tested positive for Covid. 
:stahp

Rescheduled the trip for next month.  Gonna be there for about three weeks.  Most of the first week in Tokyo and then the remainder in my wife's prefecture hanging out.  It's going to be a different experience with the kid coming along.  Especially that plane flight.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #982 on: August 24, 2023, 12:05:38 AM »
After 7-8 years, we were all set to head over to Japan this past weekend and then I tested positive for Covid. 
:stahp

Rescheduled the trip for next month.  Gonna be there for about three weeks.  Most of the first week in Tokyo and then the remainder in my wife's prefecture hanging out.  It's going to be a different experience with the kid coming along.  Especially that plane flight.

Like that you're going next month, but dislike on your covid testing. Hopefully you don't get much in terms of symptoms. Glad you were able to just re-schedule for a month later though.

Polident Hive

« Reply #983 on: August 24, 2023, 03:13:54 AM »
I’m here now. Maybe it’s best to wait a month. It is illegally hot. Never been here during peak summer but it’s late August and 34c. Come on, now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #984 on: August 24, 2023, 07:36:28 AM »
Like that you're going next month, but dislike on your covid testing. Hopefully you don't get much in terms of symptoms. Glad you were able to just re-schedule for a month later though.

I'm OK- I had been sick for several days prior to testing positive and symptom-wise it was like having the flu.  I couldn't work for several days because I could barely talk, though.  Just finished up Paxlovid and feel almost back to normal already.

I’m here now. Maybe it’s best to wait a month. It is illegally hot. Never been here during peak summer but it’s late August and 34c. Come on, now.

My mother-in-law said that it was best we didn't come anyway, since it's too hot to do anything.  I heard it was as high as 104 F/40 C in their prefecture. I don't recall it ever being that hot when I lived there or visited before.  :o
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #985 on: August 24, 2023, 02:13:37 PM »

Yikes, yeah I haven't been back to Japan in the summer since uhhh 2004 when I was like "I'm never going back to Japan in the summer again"

Hadn't even thought of how much worse it'd be these days with global warming. Good luck Polident. Don't die

Polident Hive

« Reply #986 on: August 26, 2023, 12:38:00 AM »
I’ll say, it’s amazing to see how common parasols and battery fans are. Prior to this, the closer to summer I’ve been was late May. Wasn’t that bad then.

Also, this is the first time I’ve gotten a proper sim/cell plan. It’s honestly embarrassing for my US plan. It’s regularly hitting 20mb/s

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #987 on: August 26, 2023, 02:53:39 PM »
I’ll say, it’s amazing to see how common parasols and battery fans are. Prior to this, the closer to summer I’ve been was late May. Wasn’t that bad then.

Also, this is the first time I’ve gotten a proper sim/cell plan. It’s honestly embarrassing for my US plan. It’s regularly hitting 20mb/s

What kind of plan did you buy?  I went and got an eSim from Holafly.  It's supposed to be really good but is strictly data only and calls/texts don't count.  Our plan is to use Line for calls and texts to get around this.  I'm also gonna take my work phone (unlimited data pretty much anywhere) to use as a mobile hotspot.
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #988 on: August 26, 2023, 11:40:00 PM »

What kind of plan did you buy?  I went and got an eSim from Holafly.  It's supposed to be really good but is strictly data only and calls/texts don't count.  Our plan is to use Line for calls and texts to get around this.  I'm also gonna take my work phone (unlimited data pretty much anywhere) to use as a mobile hotspot.

Think it’s literally called Mobil? But shows SoftBank on my phone. It was gotten for me and I’m not complaining. Used to be fine with whatever SIM card I’d pick up.

It’s interesting to learn the push for esim is a US thing. Company was saying I might need to buy a second phone. Having not upgraded my iPhone since 2018, for better or worse, I have features that were depreciated. Downside is my battery lasts about two hours. Whenever iPhone gets USB C to justify an upgrade, then I’ll figure something out.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #989 on: August 29, 2023, 07:53:24 PM »

May is fine. It rains, but it’s still lovely weather.

The summers here are absolutely horrible. I managed to escape to the USA for a week and a month to look after my mother with dementia in Idaho. It’s hot there, but it’s dry, even when they get an “inversion.” When my mother traveled, she went all over the world. She never had a bad thing to say about anywhere. Africa, Egypt, Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Spain, France… everywhere. Not a bad word.

She came to Japan in July once and said, “I’m never coming back to Japan in summer.”

I went outside for a walk the other day, seemed fine until I got home, at which point the sweat jetted out of me like some anime VFX.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Polident Hive

« Reply #991 on: August 31, 2023, 04:33:20 AM »
There’s a line about men how using parasols is new ish. What I’ve noticed, women use the handheld fans. Fellas use the neck cooler things. Don’t know what. But as a champion of fighting gender norms, I bought a fan.

I’ll note, bic specifically had a fan for men. It was square, black, and metal. Somethings I don’t understand.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #992 on: August 31, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »

May is fine. It rains, but it’s still lovely weather.

The summers here are absolutely horrible. I managed to escape to the USA for a week and a month to look after my mother with dementia in Idaho. It’s hot there, but it’s dry, even when they get an “inversion.” When my mother traveled, she went all over the world. She never had a bad thing to say about anywhere. Africa, Egypt, Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Spain, France… everywhere. Not a bad word.

She came to Japan in July once and said, “I’m never coming back to Japan in summer.”

I went outside for a walk the other day, seemed fine until I got home, at which point the sweat jetted out of me like some anime VFX.

I still very much remember roasting in schools and wondering why the only rooms with ACs were the libraries that nobody ever went into. :dizzy

Winter to me is equally as brutal, at least inside.  No central heating and air in homes is :stahp 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #993 on: August 31, 2023, 09:01:31 AM »
There’s a line about men how using parasols is new ish. What I’ve noticed, women use the handheld fans. Fellas use the neck cooler things. Don’t know what. But as a champion of fighting gender norms, I bought a fan.

I’ll note, bic specifically had a fan for men. It was square, black, and metal. Somethings I don’t understand.

I've got both of those things- the neck cooler fans work really well and it comes in handy on beach trips.  I don't think I'm gonna bring that over there with me although if I have room, I might.

I did get this crazy thing a few months ago-

It's from a company called "Jisulife."  I had one of their handheld fans already and this is like the premium, all-metal 'turbo' version of it.  The 100 setting is INSANE.  Definitely taking this with me.  I don't think it will be necessary to bring it around in mid-September, but it's gonna be clutch when sleeping at night.- I have no idea if my in-laws have any fans in their home without timers.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #994 on: September 01, 2023, 01:18:59 AM »

Polident Hive

« Reply #995 on: September 01, 2023, 01:48:32 AM »
On fast internet, on a random cafe Wi-Fi, easily the fastest internet speeds I’ve ever experienced. 550+ mbps on fast.com. Even my home network hovers around 150-200.

If my laptop wasn’t huge, I’d bring it there to download Starfield. Or maybe get the full Mame set.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #996 on: September 01, 2023, 03:43:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/thinking_panda/status/1696832338045681725

:lol

Guy on the right is former Osaka prefectural governor. He was always playing shit up for the cameras. He cut educational funding in Osaka. This is him pandering to conservatives. He’s a shit.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #997 on: September 01, 2023, 09:38:07 PM »
the chinese are awful and racist themselves. so this just makes me laugh. "you gotta eat radiated fukushima sushi or you can't come in the country!"

this is simpsons dialogue in real life  :rofl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #998 on: September 02, 2023, 02:52:07 PM »
On fast internet, on a random cafe Wi-Fi, easily the fastest internet speeds I’ve ever experienced. 550+ mbps on fast.com. Even my home network hovers around 150-200.

If my laptop wasn’t huge, I’d bring it there to download Starfield. Or maybe get the full Mame set.

This is a good idea- I think I'm gonna do this!  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #999 on: September 02, 2023, 02:52:57 PM »
Chrono, how's the weather in Osaka?  Getting any cooler?
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1000 on: September 03, 2023, 07:00:19 PM »

Saturday was not horrible, but Sunday was really hot, and today (Monday morning now) may get hotter. It’s 82°F/28°C and 88% humidity at 8am.

Every year, I wonder why I moved here. Insane.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1001 on: September 05, 2023, 06:48:25 AM »
Is TGS something I should even consider?

I went to Gamescom once about 15 years ago, when these things were somewhat notable, and didn’t care much for it. That’s my only experience with a gaming event convention deal.

Beezy

« Reply #1002 on: September 05, 2023, 12:08:11 PM »
Some cousins (adults and their teen children) are planning a trip to Japan for next summer and invited me to join. I'd love to visit again by any means necessary, but everything I've heard about Japan's summer heat/humidity has me worried. :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1003 on: September 05, 2023, 05:40:17 PM »
Is TGS something I should even consider?

I went to Gamescom once about 15 years ago, when these things were somewhat notable, and didn’t care much for it. That’s my only experience with a gaming event convention deal.

I went to TGS 2018 and it was pretty neat, however unless its indies expect to be waiting around a LOT to play.
The highlight for me was the Falcom JDK Band performance, which typically happens every year. This year they have one devoted to Ys X music.
^_^

Polident Hive

« Reply #1004 on: September 06, 2023, 07:54:28 AM »
That’s funny. Yesterday I was looking at the games announced and Ys X was the only one that caught my attention. Maybe the RGG7.5 Kiryu spin off.

Bebpo

« Reply #1005 on: September 06, 2023, 01:28:47 PM »
I liked TGS when I went, but that was a different era. I think MGS3 was about to come out and Kojima was there showing off the new trailer. Still paled in comparison to E3 even then. Some good cosplay, some decent merch booths.

Not sure how it would be today. I'd guess a lot more empty given the smaller amount of Japanese game releases.

I mean if you're in the area and you like games, I'd still go just to experience it once. But probably keep expectations fairly low and figure you'll see everything you want in a half day and be good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1006 on: September 06, 2023, 10:31:16 PM »
I avoid TGS. I didn’t even enjoy being paid to go there.

Bebsy mentioned Kojima’s trailer - that’s one of the things that broke me. He won “Game of the Show” for a cinematic running on several PlayStation Tool units, and claimed it was running on PS hardware. Not consumer h/w mind you.

The merch booths are good and have some indie or early product, but just go to Akihabara and you’re more likely to leave happy.

Some cousins (adults and their teen children) are planning a trip to Japan for next summer and invited me to join. I'd love to visit again by any means necessary, but everything I've heard about Japan's summer heat/humidity has me worried. :doge
We were blessed with rain yesterday and we briefly enjoyed 24°C weather overnight. First night without air conditioning in weeks. Now temps are climbing again, we expect 31-32°C just a few hours later.

The humidity is overwhelming if you haven’t grown up with it. As a Los Angelino, humidity is alien to me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1007 on: September 06, 2023, 10:47:03 PM »
Bebsy mentioned Kojima’s trailer - that’s one of the things that broke me. He won “Game of the Show” for a cinematic running on several PlayStation Tool units, and claimed it was running on PS hardware. Not consumer h/w mind you.

Reminds of E3 2000's MGS2 trailer.  Nothing playable -just the tanker part of the game was shown IIRC- and people just lost their shit and camped out around a large screen to keep watching the replays.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1008 on: September 07, 2023, 09:06:07 AM »
ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1009 on: September 07, 2023, 12:40:03 PM »
I swear I made a post in here and now its gone, wat give?

Bebpo

« Reply #1010 on: September 07, 2023, 12:49:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1699690691511927265

This seems insane.

Is there more to this story because yeah, that seems insane.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: September 07, 2023, 12:51:12 PM »
Not seeing anything else in English at least.  The original article: https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/news/230907z

So he violated copyright law just by streaming the game? :dizzy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 12:58:21 PM by bork »
ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1012 on: September 07, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »
Am I going insane bork

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: September 08, 2023, 11:46:32 AM »
From Siliconera:

The video game videos that Yoshida got in trouble over are let’s play videos of Steins;Gate: My Darling’s Embrace. These videos contained spoilers for the whole game, as well as the ending. He also posted edited videos of the anime Spy x Family. Yoshida uploaded these videos onto YouTube and monetized them between September 2019 and May 2022. According to Yoshida, his “motive” for making the videos was that they are his hobby and he wanted someone to watch his work.

The copyright holders and the prosecution, however, claimed that Yoshida was negatively impacting their sales. Not only did he get money by streaming a copyrighted game, but he also took away potential sales. Because viewers already know what will happen, they might not want to actually purchase the game.  The original article did not state how much monetization affected the copyright holders’ decision to sue.

:cmonson
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1014 on: September 13, 2023, 07:46:43 PM »
Not seeing anything else in English at least.  The original article: https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/news/230907z

So he violated copyright law just by streaming the game? :dizzy

I am not positive, and I am not willing to look into it, but I believe the last EULA I clicked through had language in it preventing streaming. It is not clear whether or not that is legal to enforce.

Remember, this is Japan, not the USA, right? Japan is wildly overreactive when it comes to enforcing copyright, and Japanese laws are vaguely enough written that they can win cases.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: September 13, 2023, 09:43:13 PM »
"Wildly overreactive" feels like an understatement here!  I think it's the jail time that makes this seem so crazy.

Is this the first time something like this has happened? 
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1016 on: September 19, 2023, 05:03:54 AM »

Saturday was not horrible, but Sunday was really hot, and today (Monday morning now) may get hotter. It’s 82°F/28°C and 88% humidity at 8am.

Every year, I wonder why I moved here. Insane.

My family spent the last two days, traveling in Japan, visiting the area where my daughter can choose to work. It was out in the countryside, and there was absolutely nothing around to do at all. It was stupid of us, but we were out there under the clear sunny skies from 1230 until 230, And we sweat like crazy. It was exhausting just being out in the heat.

The next day, we went to Disney Sea. It wasn’t quite as hot, because we were right next to the ocean. It was still too hot, but not like the previous day. Essentially, I am just spending today recovering and rehydrating. Truly overwhelming.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1017 on: September 21, 2023, 11:24:31 PM »
Tokyo had its moments as far as the heat goes- friend and I were hanging out and we took my daughter to a playground. It was ridiculously hot to the point that there was no one else there. She lasted about maybe 10 minutes before she had enough.
:dizzy

Out in Ishikawa now.  It was pretty hot when we got here yesterday but seems a lot cooler today thankfully.
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #1018 on: September 22, 2023, 02:19:40 AM »
Today was maybe the first or second day where it was a comfortable temp in the mid 20s (c). Last week I briefly thought of going to Sapporo, as I’ve never been. Mostly to stop swearing for once. But work shit got in the way.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1019 on: September 22, 2023, 02:39:32 AM »
They finally arrested that American streamer who goes around harrassing people