Author Topic: God's Not Dead 3 (and God's Not Dead Expanded Universe) Discussion  (Read 11852 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Present-day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), finds his faith challenged on his first day of Philosophy class by the dogmatic and argumentative Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo). Radisson begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face a failing grade. As other students in the class begin scribbling the words “God Is Dead” on pieces of paper as instructed, Josh find himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future. Josh offers a nervous refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor. Radisson assigns him a daunting task: if Josh will not admit that “God Is Dead,” he must prove God’s existence by presenting well-researched, intellectual arguments and evidence over the course of the semester, and engage Radisson in a head-to-head debate in front of the class. If Josh fails to convince his classmates of God’s existence, he will fail the course and hinder his lofty academic goals.

:lawd

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:16:46 PM by Joe Molotov »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: It's only March but we've already got the movie of the year
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
Ruin your future because you failed a university philosophy class? LMAO :neogaf
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
ivory tower homolectuals corrupting our youth  >:(

watch for a duck dynasty cameo! :goty
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »
He then went on to direct the billion dollar grossing Avengers movie.

Himu

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
The atheist agenda is real
IYKYK

nudemacusers

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
seriously tho where is kirk cameron and that fat kid from two and a half men? you'd think they'd be on the casting couch pew for this one.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
Is this the first chain e-mail to be adapted for film?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
I was once a good student with a promising future, however I failed my Philosophy 150 in my sophomore year of college. Now I'm homeless with no means of continuing my education or pursuing a professional career.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:54:05 PM »
Kevin Sorbo doing MacBeth @0:35 :dead
___

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

Spoilers: At the end a marine comes in and said, God's busy today so he sent me, and the limp-wristed professor runs away in tears and the religious student reads Scripture to the class for the rest of the period.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:01:38 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
I have to admit, after watching the trailer I kinda want to watch this now. At least to see how he "wins" and stuff.

Plus that always great conflict with the girlfriend/love interest over his UNFLINCHING CRUSADE will probably pay off with dem holy feelz at the end.

Thankfully I think there's some Christian movie channel on channel 1283 or something like that which will probably air it in six months.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_(TV_network)

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »

Spoilers: At the end a marine comes in and said, God's busy today so he sent me, and the limp-wristed professor runs away in tears and the religious student reads Scripture to the class for the rest of the period.

And that marine was Albert Einstein :smug
bent

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »
That shit is actually releasing over here! meanwhile I'll have to wait for a webrip or something to watch The Raid 2 :snoop
Drunk

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »
definitely watching this.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:10 AM »
That shit is actually releasing over here! meanwhile I'll have to wait for a webrip or something to watch The Raid 2 :snoop

Live in a third world country, brehs.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
sooooo goddamn watching this

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 12:58:50 AM »
neogaf the movie

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
Doesn't support Young Earth Creationism, avoid brehs. Creation.com says it uses weak sauce arguments that would get swatted into the stands by any serious atheist.

http://creation.com/gods-not-dead-review

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is where we anticipated the movie could have made its major ‘equipping’ contribution, but unfortunately, each of the points Josh tries to put forward to prove God’s existence are arguments that atheists would easily refute. In the first session, Josh equates the big bang to what we would expect if God spoke the universe into existence. Of course, CMI has long demonstrated how the big problem with the big bang theory is that it is supposed to have happened billions of years ago. With the sun allegedly appearing millions of years before the earth, for example, it stands in complete opposition to the very creation passages in Genesis which Josh is supposed to be defending. He even affirms an age of the universe of billions of years, which clearly stands contrary to the biblical account. To be fair, he does give a good answer to “Who created God?”, which is perhaps the only solid apologetic in this section.

In the second section, Josh talks about the problems of life coming from non-life, but then implies that God could be behind the seemingly-random process of evolution. But an informed atheist could respond that evolution is a wasteful, cruel process; why would anyone worship God if He used a cruel wasteful evolutionary process? Perhaps the producers have not realized that most atheistic evolutionists don’t really respect Christians who believe in evolution. Just ask the ‘high priest’ of atheistic evolution, Professor Richard Dawkins, who once said that theological attempts to marry the Bible and evolution are “seriously deluded.” In this sense, who is the movie trying to win over?

In the third and final lecture, Josh tackles the problem of evil by saying that it is a necessary consequence of free will. But the very biblical creation account Josh claims to be defending is clear that evil is a consequence of sin, not a necessary companion to free will.
Spoiler alert

These weak arguments are presented as overtly intimidating to the ‘infamously stout’ atheist professor and predictably, the stereotypical triumph of Josh’s arguments over the confounded professor leads to what seems to be the dramatic conversion of the entire class. This is not a realistic scenario. Given these somewhat basic and flawed arguments, they would not be at all convincing to an informed opponent, and no atheist of Professor Radisson’s supposed caliber would be unfamiliar with them. The danger we fear is that hapless college students may take these weak arguments, try to use them, and get shot down. Instead of concluding that there is something wrong with the arguments, they could think that Christianity is false, and it would damage their faith.
[close]
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 01:19:06 AM »
neogaf the movie
That'd be more like if the movie had a valiant atheist standing up for a female in front of the whole class against a sexist professor and her falling in love (in part because of his Triforce shirt) and becoming his sex slave. And then at the end of the movie it zooms out to him sitting creepily in the back row of the class staring at the back of some girls' head and sweating.

PM offers on script rights
[close]

Himu

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:15 AM »
in college religion class my professor made me write GOD IS NOT REAL on my forehead

i cried

then I looked in a mirror and realized i wrote it backwards
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 01:25:20 AM »
This is not a realistic scenario. Given these somewhat basic and flawed arguments, they would not be at all convincing to an informed opponent, and no atheist of Professor Radisson’s supposed caliber would be unfamiliar with them.
I kinda like the idea that this feared professor is actually a fraud whose only background is skimming a Richard Dawkins book. Thus why he teaches Philosophy 150 and does such dumb stuff like open class with GOD IS DEAD.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 03:08:11 AM »
there is a very good chance that this film will make significantly more money then The Raid 2 will, at least in America.
As its already, in its first weekend, surpassed twice over The Raid 1's total American haul.

also, the grammer of this movie's title irritates me.  Wouldn't God is Not Dead be better?  Does the student/protagonist fail English too?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:10:09 AM by HyperZoneWasAwesome »

nudemacusers

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 04:09:16 AM »
I’ve been watching movies for over 50 years, going back to the old classics on my parents black and white TV with rabbit ears. It’s rare that a movie pushes my buttons anymore. I frankly expected some cheesy six-day creationist Bible-thumping embarrassment, like I’ve seen so many times before, but this low-budget, faith inspired movie really hit it out of the ball park for me. Why? It’s effectiveness in addressing the almost daily assaults on Christianity. (Think of the grossly historically inaccurate cartoon at the beginning of the new Cosmos series.) It took head-on the attacks from academia, the media, the amoral business world, phony self-professing Christians and even Islam. The acting was first rate. We tried to go to a late showing Friday but it was sold out and had to buy tickets in advance. If you’re not a totally committed secular progressive droog, you ought to catch this one.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 04:23:13 AM »
Thanks for the informative review, this is why I come to The Bore, common sense pro-family reviews and comments.

Himu

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
Thank you for an unbiased view
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-gods-not-dead-1201142881/

Variety weighed in with a negative; now all those Variety readers are less likely to see this film!

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a christian documentary during its theatrical run; it talked about life after death, but my strongest memory of it was from the sequence near the end, on suicide. Up until that point, people had been talking about going toward a warm light where all their passed friends and family were waiting to welcome them, but those who'd attempted suicide all talked about being in some kind of hellish nightmare world, with demons pulling at them, or feeling buried alive. I was probably 8 or 9 -- it scared the shit out of me.

I've not been real big on fire-and-perdition, fear-based morality tales since then.

benjipwns

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
And yet, you're alive today having never committed suicide.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »
Kevin Sorbo is such an embarrassment.  He rose so high with Andromeda only to far so low.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
And yet, you're alive today having never committed suicide.
:ohhh

:bluesteel
[close]

benjipwns

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »
Man the best movie of the year is 300. You got Eva green's mad titays on screen as she chews the fucking scenery.

Himu

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »
This is my first time watching the trailer and this seriously looks like comedy of the year.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
I spoke too soon. Another contender enters.

:bow2

In the book, Christian pastor Todd Burpo writes that during the months after his son's emergency surgery in 2003, his son Colton began describing events and people that seemed impossible for him to have seen or met. Examples include his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born. Colton also claimed that he personally met Jesus riding a rainbow-colored horse and sat in Jesus' lap, while the angels sang songs to him. He also says he saw Mary kneeling before the throne of God and at other times standing beside Jesus.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:14:15 PM by Stoney Mason »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
also, the grammer of this movie's title irritates me.  Wouldn't God is Not Dead be better?  Does the student/protagonist fail English too?

:punch

PigSpeakers

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 05:01:06 AM »
I’ve been watching movies for over 50 years, going back to the old classics on my parents black and white TV with rabbit ears. It’s rare that a movie pushes my buttons anymore. I frankly expected some cheesy six-day creationist Bible-thumping embarrassment, like I’ve seen so many times before, but this low-budget, faith inspired movie really hit it out of the ball park for me. Why? It’s effectiveness in addressing the almost daily assaults on Christianity. (Think of the grossly historically inaccurate cartoon at the beginning of the new Cosmos series.) It took head-on the attacks from academia, the media, the amoral business world, phony self-professing Christians and even Islam. The acting was first rate. We tried to go to a late showing Friday but it was sold out and had to buy tickets in advance. If you’re not a totally committed secular progressive droog, you ought to catch this one.

Over 50 years?
ok.

benjipwns

Stoney Mason

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
Watched it.

* The professor is a crazy rude person who is an atheist because his mother died when he was 12 and god ignored his prayers to save her.

* The college student is like Job. He loses his bitch of a girlfriend who dumps him because he isn't thinking about his future by taking on this professor.

* The college professor is dating a former student who is a christian whom he treats like shit and belittles her intelligence. Triumphantly she dumps him towards the end of the movie showing you only need god in your life and not an asshole atheist boyfriend.

*There is a muslim college student (or maybe she just works on campus. It isn't really clear) who is forced to wear a veil when she goes to college by her muslim father. Secretly though she is christian. The evil muslim father finds out, slaps/beats her and throws her out of the house.

* Dean Cain is an evil capitalist playboy atheist who has a feminist atheist liberal reporter girlfriend whom he dumps the moment she tells him she has cancer.

* Fortunately cancer girl finds jesus by the end of the movie and prays with the christian band the newsboys before a concert at the end of the movie.

*  The college student of course wins the debate against the college professor as one by one the students stand up at the end of the debate and say "God is not Dead",  I am spartacus style.

* The Evil Professor still smarting from his defeat finally realizes that the reason he is an atheist is because of his dead mother as he reads a letter from her before she died that says he should love God.

* Said Evil professor now rushes to the same newsboy concert that cancer girl, ex-muslim girl, college student, and his ex girlfriend are at for some reason to try to get back his girl.

* He is hit by a car on the way there and lays dying in the street. Two very boring preachers who have been in most of the movie for no good reason happen to be there just as he is dying and take his last confession to christ right before he dies so he is now a good professor and will go to heaven.

* Everybody else celebrates at the newsboys concert including some bearded asshole from Duck Dynasty that I don't know at all.

THE END.

On a scale of 1 to 10. I would give it Jesus!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:45:12 PM by Stoney Mason »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
*Phew*

So glad I stood my ground when my father was trying to make me go see this film when it was in theaters.

I would've cringed myself into a coma. :dead

Stoney Mason

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
*Phew*

So glad I stood my ground when my father was trying to make me go see this film when it was in theaters.

I would've cringed myself into a coma. :dead

You just saw the movie.

benjipwns

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »
The lesson I have taken away is don't repent from atheism and race to a music concert for a dumb former student.

Himu

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »
"On a scale of 1 to 10. I would give it Jesus!"

:rofl
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
I don't understand why Hercules being an Epicurean atheist is relevant to the debate. That's (more or less) the safest kind of atheism.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
Be honest, Stoney, how many of those liberal crocodile tears did you shed while visibly shaking from anger and fear as you watched your worldview being systematically torn apart piece by piece?
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »
:bow Stoney :bow2

Taking one for the team.  You are truly our canary in the cinematic coal mine.

Now go watch the LDS adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and report back.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
Now go watch the LDS adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and report back.
[close]
Wait. What.

One of my best friends was a huge Pride and Prejudice obsessive for a while.

And her family's part of one of the weird Mormon offshoot churches.

benjipwns

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
The film received largely negative reviews outside Mormon enclaves such as Utah; some of the humor and plot devices derive from and require an understanding of Mormon social and religious mores.
Mormon inside jokes

:dead :dead :dead :dead

Stoney Mason

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
I have some free time tomorrow. I might youtube some of the more "interesting" clips on a throwaway youtube channel. We'll see.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »
Be honest, Stoney, how many of those liberal crocodile tears did you shed while visibly shaking from anger and fear as you watched your worldview being systematically torn apart piece by piece?

He probably simultaneously dropped copies of The Origin of Species, Rules for Radicals, Das Kapital, The Selfish Gene, Hard Choices, and the entire Judy Blume oeuvre.
©@©™

Kara

benjipwns

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2015, 01:00:20 AM »
So...this movie just got added free to watch with Amazon Prime. :lol

And it's recommending it to me.  :fbm
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »
I think Amazon is recommending it because of how many other one star movies I've deliberately watched on their service.

Okay, not think. Hope.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
Amazon saw you watching all those Satan movies, benji, it knows you need to get some Jesus in your life.
dog

Stoney Mason

Re: God is back and he's still not Dead!
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
Girl in that trailer screencap is cute. Not gonna watch the trailer though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:45 PM »
Girl in that trailer screencap is cute. Not gonna watch the trailer though.

Is she the filthy atheist that gets hit by a car and killed right after becoming a Christian and confessing her sins to a passing priest while bleeding out into a pile of her own entrails? :lawd
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
So he's still not dead?  Basically spoils the first movie if you haven't already seen it. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
BTW another Borian has to see this. Stony did his duty, now another must do the same.  :doge

IMO myself and Atra should be exempt from this requirement, given our extensive experience in the realm of religion.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
They're going to have to raise the stakes considerably in a sequel if they want my money day one.  God battling atheists after his son was killed is a pretty good origin story but really there's quite a few more interesting enemies of christendom (although I like that they keep hinting the Jews will ultimately be going against God in the two part finale).  It would also be nice to see Joan of Arc come in as the sidekick because that was a really good run but from the casting it doesn't look like it  :'( (but it does look like they're going to shoehorn another love interest in). 
vin