Author Topic: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD  (Read 171358 times)

Himu

THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »
I decided Manchester City was going to be my EPL team and now they've...

won the cup so now i'll look like a goddamn bandwagoning fuck

goddamit. first bayern, now this. I need to pick worse teams. :tocry
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 01:21:48 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Look at this glory hunter scum

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Might as well become a Manc so I can hate you properly :pacspit

Himu

I have a really big grin on my face right now. I'm very, very tipsy right now. I need to google glory scum. Sounds like weird african slang.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Glory Hunter is what people call the majority of Man U fans and the recent influx of Man City/Chelsea fans. It's not african it's as English as blood pudding

Himu

I'm not a glory fan I swearrrrrr I just like them team :tocry
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I know, but I like teasing Himu :lol

Himu

All the best teams are in Europe unless you're willing to hit South America.

The season is over in England.

Champions League final is May 24. It will be a Spanish final: Atletico de Madrid vs Real Madrid in an unprecedented match up. Atletico is one of the star success of this years La Liga (Spanish league). You must watch this because this is down to two rivals. It will tell a great storyline and will feature great football.

World Cup starts next month.

Just watch the CL final. Root for USA at World Cup. Note of all major players during the WC. Note what clubs they play on. See who you like. Watch Premiere ship next season. Games are mostly on Saturdays and a few on Sundays. With NBS Sports Network you can watch all matches that weekend. There's at least two to four great matches a weekend. Try to watch every team and see who you get emotionally attached to. Don't let anyone tell you who to root for. If you like Man U, cheer for em. If you like Arsenal, go for it! Tottenham?! LOL. Just go with your gut and your emotions. Took me two years to pick Man City as my club.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:41:39 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

That's not uncommon. Wrath is a huge Brazil fan and Brazil can play some energetic football. They have a dude called Hulk who is a beast. He plays in the Russian league though. I'm not sure why you're averse to Europe. They have the most presitgious and best teams. It isn't like you will have to cheer for just white people. Soccer is an international game. EPL has people all over the world playing for it.
IYKYK

Himu

Colombia? That's a good pick if you like the underdog. They've made their first world cup since the 90s. They've been rebuilding their team since their team was destroyed after the murder of Andres Escobar.
IYKYK

Himu

Wrath you like AC Milan, right? :heart
IYKYK

Himu

I know you like AC Milan, don't hide. :heart
IYKYK

Himu

Inter Milan? I think you mistakenly wrote that and not AC Milan? :heart
IYKYK

Himu

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think I may have sold you on them, enjoy your pink jerseys with stars on them.
[close]
I just googled these and :kobeyuck

if i'm going to dap up a cac team, it at least better look fresh.

What do you like?

IYKYK

Himu

Why do you even like AC Milan? Only people i know who love them tend to love the Italian national team as well.

I don't! I just like Balotelli. :heh
IYKYK

Himu

Spanish teams have the most swag imo
IYKYK

Himu

The most swagalicious player:

IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
as far as euro teams we'll have to see. I might fuck with Juventus because that name is epic :whew
Juventus are also convicted cheats

Himu

Yeah I think those four leagues are the ones worth following, but that's a lot for a newbie. It was for me. I started with MLS and had to slowly branch out. It can be overwhelming, which is why I suggest starting with English Premier league since it's where the big shit happens on a regular basis. Bundesliga (Germany) is my favorite if we're going by teams and rivalries but I can't watch it regularly. La Liga (Spanish) league has lot of fun looking teams but until recently it was only ever possible for Real or Barca to win their championship. Now that it's getting more competitive it's much, much better than when I first started watching. Serie A (Italy) is the big one I don't catch regularly.

I don't think Ronaldo is a bitch, at least recently. He's really matured and stepped up.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:02:55 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I find it sad that no one watches the French League anymore. I used to love watching it 1996 - 2006, they play some artistic stuff there or at least used to.

Himu

We have plenty of Arsenal fans here. They tried to get me to join them last year!
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Yeah I'm an Arsenal fan too, greatest team to be a fan of if you want to watch football being played properly, but heartbreaking to support lol

fizzel

it's correct name these days is manshite arabia.

Himu

K Esch. You have a three great opportunities coming up:

FC Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid - La Liga final, May 17
Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid - UEFA Champions League Finals, May 24, 2:45pm, FOX

The storyline in these matches is that Atletico, the underdog, has gone to fight both of Spanish footballs two top dog teams in a chance to prove their spot as the best in Spain (La Liga final) and Europe (CL final).

Don't miss either.

If you want to watch Arsenal, they and Hull City are going to have a match this Saturday, noon on Fox for the FA Cup. Should be fun to watch.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:57:13 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
Join us in the Arsenal cult, Himu.  It's just like being a WWE fan: memories of glory in the early 00's, exciting developmental talent, and a perennial cycle of delusional optimism and inevitable disappointment!

Oh shit I'm psychic.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Nah, we arent liverpool fans.

Even though MLS pales in comparison to the rest of the world, I'm a Seattle Sounders FC fan.

As for Europe, I don't have a team. Never felt like I needed one. Fun to watch, though.
野球

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
man city don't have supporters, they have shareholders. they make chelsea look like they have heart.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I'm shocked you're not an Arsenal fan, especially considering their circa-2000 uniforms....
^_^

Himu

Was a playstation stan at that point and wasn't as big a soccer fan as I am now.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: FOOTBALL/FUTBOL/SOCCER/COMMUNISM Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 08:52:07 PM »

:what

:whew
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:02:55 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Re: FOOTBALL/FUTBOL/SOCCER/COMMUNISM 2014 Thread
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
:gladbron

THIS KID

football level: ASIAN
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
You have good taste Naomi, though I don't think you're really making informed consent. (Google "typical City" and try not to laugh too hard.)

Himu

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »
I know their history. But dammit, they stole my heart. I think the first EPL match I watched was the Manchester Derby 2012 if that helps.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:58 PM »
You should watch the October 2011 one, Old Trafford hasn't been bombed like that since Uwe Rosler's granddad was in the Luftwaffe.

Kara

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 03:26:35 AM »
I just love reading football history for some reason. You can literally go to any prestigious leagues Wikipedia page and click on any random club and have a whole slew of interesting history.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:30:45 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

Re: FOOTBALL/FUTBOL/SOCCER/COMMUNISM 2014 Thread (Europa Final)
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Europa League Final today between Sevilla and Benfica.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: FOOTBALL/FUTBOL/SOCCER/COMMUNISM 2014 Thread (Europa Final)
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
THREE MAJOR MATCHES TODAY:

FA Cup Final - Arsenal v Hull

La Liga Final - Atletico Madrid v Barcelona

German Cup Final - Bayern Munchen v Dortmund

What match are you guys excited for the most?

I'm most excited for the La Liga final. I'm excited to see if Atletico can manage to get a double. A double would be a tremendous kick in the face to both Barca and Real Madrid. For the past few years both clubs have dominated.

Let the unpredictable season continue! Great football year because there's no longer an obvious "best team". Many of the big ones like Man U and Barca are in the process of rebuilding. Exciting!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:02:35 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Fifstar

Looking forward to both the La Liga Final and the german cup final (Bundesliga has been decided like two months ago).

Would be crazy if Athletico could actually win two titles. Gonna be an interesting final, Barcelona could somewhat save the season if they could become champion on the last day of the season. Also interested in how the individual players perform. Haven't seen too many spanish teams this season (except for Real Madrid) so it's nice to see if the spanish players are in form. Their roster alone sure looks intimidating.

Bayern vs Dortmund has the potential to provide some drama, because for Bayern it feels like the whole season will be measured against this game, even though they dominated both the Bundesliga and the Champions league for the first 3 quarters of the season. Something happened after they secured the german championship and loosing to their biggest german rival after getting trashed by Real Madrid would mean be pretty humilating to the Bayern stars that won everything last year. As for the match itself, Bayern is missing quite a lot of players while Dortmund is healthy except for the long term injuries, so the teams will be pretty even. No idea who will win this.
Gulp

Himu

I'm hoping Bayern can win a double. Lots of interesting drama in most of the final matches this year, especially due to Bayern's recent bad streak, and the rise of Atletico. Them winning the Cup is imperitive after that Real Madrid loss in CL. Both Barca and Bayern winning their matches could make up for the road blocks, but in Barca's case, I think even without winning it doesn't make up for the past season.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:11:20 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

FA Cup is on Fox Sports 1.
IYKYK

Fifstar

Barca just scored, Athletico already had to sub twice.
Gulp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

:whew

so uhhh, what are Brazil/US/England/Germany's chances?

you're better than this siri  :tocry
😈

Phoenix Dark

I'd prefer Siri over 2014 Sara Jay...but I'd do the smart thing and get in the Sara Jay line since it would no doubt be far shorter than Siri's.
:obama

Fifstar

Jump on the Dortmund bandwagon while youRe at it and make em win if you're such a lucky charm. Bayern looks a bit better this first half, excited to see how the yellow ones will react!
Gulp

Himu

Is it a coincidence that Arsenal wins when I jump on the bandwagon? I think not. My presence inspires Ws, surely :rejoice

Arsenal isn't as bad as the people here say. They are a historic highly influential club who has the most accolades.in the premiership next to Man Utd. Modern football strategy was even mostly innovated by Arsenal in the 30's. You didn't pick a crap club.
IYKYK

Himu

I'm sure we will do better than 2006 and 2010. :( Let us pray to the footie gods for an upset and that Jozy does not suck.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Himu

Atletico ended the ten year reign of terror by Barca/Real :rejoice No Spanish team won La Liga aside from Barca or Real.

Next week, the train of punishment continues as they compete against Real in the Champions League. GO FOR A DOUBLE. :rejoice
IYKYK

Fifstar

Jump on the Dortmund bandwagon while youRe at it and make em win if you're such a lucky charm. Bayern looks a bit better this first half, excited to see how the yellow ones will react!

I was planning on it!

>:(

Dortmund got robbed, although Bayern was a bit better over the course of the full the game.
Gulp

Himu

I really like the Atl. Madrid home kits. I think USA should rip them off.

Someone do this.
IYKYK

Himu

NEWS:

Henry on Atletico Madrid earlier this season:

Barca manager, Martini, steps down after loss:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/05/17/gerardo-martino-steps-down-as-barcelona-manager-after-atletico-madrid-win-la-liga-title/

DAVID MOYES TO BARCELONA

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:33:33 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Really? I got home early. So I'll be watching all three matches today. It makes sense. They aren't rivals with Atletico.

Man UTD has a new manager? May their shit streak get even worse! :salute :piss

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/May/Manchester-United-appoint-Louis-van-Gaal-as-manager.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd
IYKYK

Fifstar

Guardiola used all his tricks to get his players going:

Gulp