Author Topic: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD  (Read 171267 times)

Himu

Anyone have any tips for dribbling a soccer a ball? It's pretty hard. I can do stuff with my feet, but I always seem to kick it too far when trying to dribble.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Anyone have any tips for dribbling a soccer a ball? It's pretty hard. I can do stuff with my feet, but I always seem to kick it too far when trying to dribble.
Dribbling as in slalom between players? My coach always had me zig zag through safety cones placed increasingly closer to each other, you develop a nice sense of touch that way.

Himu

No, momo
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Do what I say with a ball at your feet

Himu

SEATTLE V PORTLAND DERBY :punch

Haven't watched MLS all year. Perfect time to jump back in.
IYKYK

Himu

Match in a few minutes :heart
IYKYK

Himu

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=219412

fred is done with caps. exodus, chime in? :larry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:08:05 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

I'm on mobile. I'll have to buy the tinychat app. I'm fine just posting in here
IYKYK

Himu

That Rodriguez goal > van Persie goal?

What?

:what
IYKYK

Himu

There's an amazing clip that has the entire cup in one long video on espn2 now and it's fucking beautiful
IYKYK

Himu

Sounders dude screaming over the reporter :rofl
IYKYK

Himu

Definitely prefer Portland home kit
IYKYK

These Seattle fans are shocking me. They have a crazy fan culture over there for real. Seems weird watching Americans do the whole soccer thing with the chants.

These Portland jerseys are pretty awful

Shocking? Maybe you should've glanced over us at in the last three or four years. It's been this way.
野球

MLS is pretty amateurish at times, but I'm ok with that. It's our local product, I'll support it hard.

Also, it bugs the shit out of me that Alaska Airlines sponsors the Timbers. Alaska is a Seattle-based company.
野球

Himu

People say that there's no point in watching local soccer because it's amateurish but how the hell can it grow beyond being amateur if we don't support it?
IYKYK

You're talking about the Timbers. I'm gonna use harsh words.

The passing and footwork is not on par with some of the top-tier international leagues, but I don't really care. I love my Sounders.
野球

Sounders look good for sure. You might just win the shield and cup eh?

That would be fantastic...

Except we always blow it in the playoffs.

That's just me being a realistic lifelong Seattle sports fan.
野球

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
i think it's time i start watching MLS

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Which MLS team can I support to piss off the majority of people here?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Gals

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Sounds like targeting Mandark is going to give me the most joy here.

EDIT: Yeah the lack of promotion/relegation kinda puts me off American sport, I would imagine it would piss off people in non franchise cities much more though.

Himu

There's really no one on that level. It is individual. If it were me, Dallas, because I'm a Houston supporter. If it's Gundam, Portland. In general? Maybe LA Galaxy.

But in the future the team to hate is the second New York club and the new Miami club. Fuck both of them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:54:46 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Sounds like targeting Mandark is going to give me the most joy here.

Then you definitely want the Gals.

Finally level on league titles and MLS Cups. :lawd

Himu

Well you can support the Timbers to rustle Mr. Gundams jimmies. I get the feeling Mandark is a DC united fan so you could support the NY Red Bulls, who also seem to rustle jimmies across the net and receive many accusations of frauding.

I may support Sporting KC but I'm holding out to see if St Louis gets an MLS team but if i didn't you could rustle my jimmies by supporting the Houston Dynamo, who Himu likely support.

Why would Htown piss you off?
IYKYK

Himu

Momo wait for the second New York team. Every MLS fan hates that team and they haven't even played a game yet
IYKYK

Himu

The thing I wish most from American soccer is that in had promotion/relegation. No matter how much I support my local USL Pro team they will never be MLS (or even NASL). Kind of a bummer. Good thing I love OKC and will support whatever soccer we have here regardless. These guys playing here are from all over the country and came to OKC to play soccer professionally—you've got to respect that.

On a side note, one thing that really bothers me is our local hooligans. My tickets are in the "fan zone" behind the north goal. These guys play drums the whole match and sing songs which is great. What's not great is the fact that they spend the rest of their time heckling the visiting team. It's not friendly heckling either—it's stuff like, "hickory dickoroy dock, the yellow team can suck my cock." I'm glad they're so passionate but OKC is supposed to be an exceedingly friendly town (our Thunder fans are not like that). This isn't the kind of image we should be projecting to UPL Pro. We're not Pittsburg! What makes me even more mad is the hooligans are basically fat reddit-looking nerds. They would never in their lives say the kind of things they're saying to our visiting teams to anyone on the street—especially athletes. It bothers me a lot. I'd like to figure out a way to reverse this trend within our fans.

It's unfortunate but I doubt we will ever get promotion/relegation. Reason being, these sponsors help pay millions in dollars to build stadiums. I don't think they'd help support the building of stadiums for teams that can be kicked out of the MLS and into the lower leagues. I wish we could get it but it just isn't in the cards. One can hope, though.

RE: more teams. I feel we should stop at 20 teams. Premiere League has 20 clubs. Perfect number. Leagues like NBA have way too many teams. And in the past, too many teams has made the American soccer leagues suffer. Leave it at 20.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Momo wait for the second New York team. Every MLS fan hates that team and they haven't even played a game yet
Oh man, sounds like a troll whet dream :noah

Himu

Oh man, sounds like a troll whet dream :noah

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_FC
IYKYK

Kara

Why would Htown piss you off?

I know nu-Quakes fans have no love for them.

I often think of absurd new Texas teams that could be created by moving the nu-Quakes to troll their fans. My favorite is Lokamotiv El Paso. (Dynamo was a VSS in the Soviet Union.)

Himu

Yes but Esch isn't from there.
IYKYK

Himu

How many teams then? If not 20 I'd settle with 22.
IYKYK

Himu

25 then.

*crosses arms* but no more than that.
IYKYK

Himu

Maybe in the future when MLS has a good foothold in American culture, but one of the big downfalls of past American soccer leagues is rapid expansion and over spending. Especially in cities that cannot support them. MLS is gearing towards expansion right now. But I'm worried they'll try to bank on their boom and not look at the history of past American leagues, notably NASL.

What year would you predict 30 teams being a possibility?
IYKYK

Kara

The talent pool is diluted in the NBA with the number of teams it has and basketball is a popular sport across all segments of American society.

It's not just the number of teams per citizen/resident, it's also the number of capable players that can actually be fielded.

Himu

Exactly. I don't want an NBA situation at all. Most American leagues have too many teams.

And MLS is already expanding in head scratching ways (Atlanta, Miami).

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/04/15/mlss-imperfect-expansion-plans/

Aside from Orlando, it's starting to look like expansion for the sake of expansion and not actually taking the sport to places where there's a demand and history (STL). Which, for America's third soccer league in history, doesn't really bode well.
IYKYK

Kara

Fair point wrt the physical requirements of basketball. :obama

Kara

I've watched matches where the match was shrunk down to picture in picture size so that advertising could be run on the screen simultaneously.  :stahp

Wish I could remember what league it was doe. Maybe J or A League? I used to really dredge the bottom of football when I had Fox Soccer Channel and no life.

Mandark

• Icon
LeBron mighta been a hell of a centre-half, though.

The top NBA and NFL players wouldn't necessarily be populating our national team (or even MLS) if soccer were the king sport in the US.  However, you have a ton of young athletes with bodies suited for soccer who never played it seriously, and instead get scholarships as point guards, cornerbacks, etc.

As to athleticism of the current team, they're very fit.  But with a larger pool to draw from you'd presumably have some equally fit players with actual skills to boot.  To get that pool of talent the US will probably need better high-end youth programs and just more interest.  It's a cliche to say soccer's a "street sport" everywhere but here, but it's true.  Adolescent boys don't obsess over soccer as much as they do other sports, or at least they haven't in the past.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*and German youth squads :teehee
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
Really, if the question is "what does the US need to do to improve at soccer?" then the answer is some form of "take our insane, probably socially unhealthy obsession with sport and make soccer a higher priority within that."

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
oh my god

"Joachim Low says Bayern Munich's Mario Goetze, 22, proved he is better than Lionel Messi after coming off the bench to score Germany's extra-time winner against Argentina."

fuck off :lol

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/323943.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Dude is delusional

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

Lampard to Momo's MLS club:

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/240/593/2/index.html

Portland makes first girls youth academy program in the US:

http://s.oregonlive.com/UO0ZdRQ
IYKYK

Himu

Re: FOOTBALL/SOCCER Offseason/MLS Thread - Lampard, Xavi to NYCFC
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »
It's certainly not talked about as often as La Liga and EPL.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »
EPL interests me more than La Liga. La Liga is too lopsided in power. Bundesliga is better but it's not broadcasted in America much. Sucks because I love German soccer and their style.

I mostly follow EPL, MLS, Budesliga, and La Liga. EPL and MLS more than the other two.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
EPL interests me more than La Liga. La Liga is too lopsided in power.

Feel free to correct this because I think I might be wrong, but I think in the amount of time the Prem has existed the same number of teams have won La Liga as have won the Prem (5).

Unless your team financially dopes or plays in the Bundesliga, it's not going to win its league unless it's one of a handful of powerful clubs.

Himu

« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
EPL interests me more than La Liga. La Liga is too lopsided in power.

Feel free to correct this because I think I might be wrong, but I think in the amount of time the Prem has existed the same number of teams have won La Liga as have won the Prem (5).

Unless your team financially dopes or plays in the Bundesliga, it's not going to win its league unless it's one of a handful of powerful clubs.

Sure. But look at the past ten years of premiership champions versus la Liga.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »

3 champions, 2 of which are notorious for financial doping?

Himu

« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »

3 champions, 2 of which are notorious for financial doping?

Aside from Atletico, two champs in ten years. In it's current state, la Liga is far more lopsided than EPL. This is a very common critique towards the league. It isn't anything new.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »
Also, Himu was right about the potential hate for NYCFC

:whoo the fact that New York is getting 2 teams by itself is :beli

:whoo buying up star power to start

:whoo being from New York in the first place

Told ya. They haven't played a game and I already hate them.
IYKYK

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #230 on: July 16, 2014, 01:21:49 AM »
EPL isn't technically the best but the games tend to be end to end stuff with a ton of atmosphere and oodles of excitements!

Only 4 weeks to go - i HATE international football, but this world cup distracted me enough to not make the gap between seasons too unbearable! :D

O=X

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #231 on: July 16, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »
oh man, thats really really good. always hated the ones that gives the blue and black stripes equal size. Inter's design was made for pinstripe

Himu

« Reply #232 on: July 16, 2014, 02:30:11 AM »
Beautiful
IYKYK

Fifstar

« Reply #233 on: July 16, 2014, 05:59:44 AM »
Didn't it used to be like;

EPL > La Liga > Serie A > Bundesliga

and now it's like

EPL >= La Liga > Bundesliga >>> Serie A?

Hard to argue that EPL is superior to La Liga when you look at European Cup titles in the last 5 years (Europa League: 3x Esp and 1x Eng; Champions League Esp2x Eng 1x) and the Club coefficients http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html. La liga tends to fall apart beyond the top 5 or 6 clubs though, plus a lot of teams are in bad financial shape. EPL and Bundesliga are more evenly matched, although in all leagues the discrepancies between top class, extended contenders that battle for the occasional champions league spot and the rest are growing.
Gulp

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #234 on: July 16, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »
yup, thats quatar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #235 on: July 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
probably cause i pronounce it kwatar and not katar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
This is probably 100% correct

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
la liga is a bunch of ponces mincing around talking rubbish.

Himu

« Reply #238 on: July 16, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
:(

Red bulls is the worst name ever
IYKYK