Author Topic: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD  (Read 173654 times)

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Re: OFFICIAL FOOTBALL/SOCCER - FFL and talking a load of old balls
« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
I mean, I don't feel particularly sunshine and daisies when I see Lukaku in my front three, but it is what it is.

Also, I find it lame that there dont seem to be many great forwards in the 8-9 million pound range. You have the ubermenschen at 10.5 mill and up, but underneath that it's a strange mix of over and undervaluation. Midfielders appear to be paid more sensibly.

i guess it's just the inelegance of FPLs where scoring goals factors above all else. that's why players like coutinho don't fetch nearly as much as someone like sanchez.

I'll go with Rooney but it's hard not to instantly recoil at seeing Rooney's name.

i just dropped in a spuds player. we all do what we've gotta do.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:51:37 AM by headwalk »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
Speaking of which, why are the Spurs so universally clowned upon? It's almost relentless, tbh.

Everyone on the internet is a Gooner and thinks we give a shit about their local derby.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »
Speaking of which, why are the Spurs so universally clowned upon? It's almost relentless, tbh.

it's just the done thing in london. every other team has their peaks and troughs (mainly troughs for us), but we're all united in the feeling that spurs will always think they're something while never really amounting to anything.

there was a bit of good feeling while bale was around, but their "sold elvis and bought the beatles" spiel was just asking for the kind of schadenfreude that the rest of london duly dished out.

and yeah, USArsenal's internet shitposting war machine probably hasn't helped much.

all that said, i'd rather see them do well than those plastic prawn sandwich cunts, and i'm still fielding courtois, luis and fabregas.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »

Everyone on the internet is a Gooner and thinks we give a shit about their local derby.
I'm a gooner but I dont give a shit about the local derby, I dont live there. I care more that we beat Liverpool. Always.

As for Why I clown Spurs, because they are utter failures. Their finances always looked better than Arsenal from when Wenger took over, they had talent and a name and location to attract players and while one club grew into the invincibles, CL finalists, new stadium, financial stability, the most beautiful style of football in England, the other became Spurs

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »
If you're not a rag or a scouser the club you support is a failure of some degree. :patel

I'll amend my original statement--gooners and Londoners thinking the rest of the world gives a shit.

warcock

« Reply #425 on: August 12, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
how the fuck do i post my team without print screening shananigans?

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
just use snip, save as png and drag it onto imgur. done.

i'd have already done it if sky hadn't bought exclusive rights to the unveiling.

Himu

« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
print screen.

go to paint.

ctrl+v

ctrl+s

voila
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #428 on: August 12, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Watching Man U vs. Valencia. United looking pretty mediocre tbqh. Might have to take Rooney off and replace him with Jovetic or Giroud.

yeah. that pen.

i'd probably swap him out for costa if i wasn't already maxed on chelsea scum. 

that said, i still think he'll rack up a decent total even if united flounder.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:53:57 PM by headwalk »

warcock

« Reply #429 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »

Pheer. This is oddly exciting. Is there a point to saving monies/not blowing load early?

Anyone catch madrid/sevilla?

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #430 on: August 12, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Pheer. This is oddly exciting. Is there a point to saving monies/not blowing load early?

Anyone catch madrid/sevilla?

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

yeah. real looking disappointingly sharp. can't help but want to see them implode.

HAMAS looked a little out of place though, wasn't up to the pace and was playing too deep to be much of a real threat.

think you've got way too much money on the bench there. put three up front if you're playing giroud and see if you can find a glue factory to take gerrard.

warcock

« Reply #431 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
drogba is cheep, and i think mourinho is going to re-energize him.
Ozil, oh hellll nawww you didnt.......... :-*

Who would you have me put instead of gerrard. He old and he tired, but still cute. :nsfw

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #432 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
how the fuck do i post my team without print screening shananigans?

:lol

Sorry breh this just cracked me up

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #433 on: August 12, 2014, 06:03:32 PM »

Who would you have me put instead of gerrard. He old and he tired, but still cute. :nsfw

well, for a start if you're going to be a disgusting gooner with a packed midfield, you gotta find room for ramsey.

warcock

« Reply #434 on: August 12, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »

well, for a start if you're going to be a disgusting gooner with a packed midfield, you gotta find room for ramsey.

I can't, i have a soft spot for wilshere. He's my boy, the promised messiah that would finally bring light to english talent through finesse instead of brutish force.  I wanted to put mertesacker in too, constipated defense ftw. Running is exhausting yo.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
Spend 8/9 mil on giroud and gerrard and put them on the bench?

Then have ozil , wilshere and drogba play?

Fantasy manager is not about feels

warcock

« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
First time, virgins always think about feels.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »
man, Boressia Boretmund absolutely STINKS of goals. Complete REEK of goals.

O=X

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #438 on: August 12, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »
yup - i've been through several builds now lol - my only concern is that Sanchez might take time to get going so i'm sort of tempted to drop him out and put someone like Mata in that hole with the view to bringing Sanchez in in a month or two's time - that way i could switch in a Coleman or take Caulker and swap in Howard in the nets or improve a fringe player or (and on and on and on....)

Already driving me crazy - i love it!
O=X

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
I'm also on the fence with Caulker. I could easily sacrifice Terry for Felipe Luis and Baines for Caulker. I like Ward in the back, he's probably my only real risk taken besides my GKs, but what can you do.

I think I'm fairly satisfied with what I have on there now, but i have a terrible need to sacrifice some of my overall balance for glory hunting peen wish fulfillment by throwing on Rooney and Costa upfront at the same time, or replacing Fabregas with Hazard.

:lawd the urge... Overall using one of the West Ham midfielders is something i've been toying with too since they come so damn cheap.

i'm thinking of putting in diego poyet. cheap as chips, charlton's POTY last season and coming into the PL something to prove to his old man.

warcock

« Reply #440 on: August 12, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
Why are all you sluts using Diego Costa, it's like you guys were trapped in an ISIS training camp this summer.   :mindblown

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #441 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »
Why are all you sluts using Diego Costa, it's like you guys were trapped in an ISIS training camp this summer

I agree that it's rare for a player to come into England and hit the ground running but of all the players that -could- do it Costa is up there. He looks like he'll slot into the English game with relative ease. Chelsea are still light up front - with Lukaku gone, Torres still Torres-ing, Ba gone, and Droldba back it's pretty clear he's going to be carrying the front line (pending signings of course) - so Costa is likely to be the key man. I don't see him having an issue banging in 20 league goals basic and if he really does hit the ground running add an extra 5+

Rooney is also going to be pivotal to United - plus whilst Van P is out even more ball will go through him. When van P is back he'll still weigh in with assists and he'll also be converting all the dodgy penalties the dirty United cheats get ;)

Also - i'd add that looking at the list of strikers ... makes you realise there isn't that much in the way of firepower in the league.

Great keeper? Cech.

U missed a joke but I fixed it for you (Cech is off it seems, Coutrois will be the new number 1)

Re: Caulker et al - it's a case of finding a defender who will go forward and Caulker is definitely in that mould.

Fab vs Hazard - what worries me is that Mourinho has done a fair bit of trash talking towards Hazard whilst saying Fab is the future. Possibly an attempt to get more out of Hazard but might be that he doesn't fit with what Mourinho wants to do and it's the start of the "dump Hazard" campaign - same as with Mata. No sentiment at The Bridge it would seem.
O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #442 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
Hazard was weak during the WC, as was Costa and RvP.

Based on the WC I wouldnt get any of them.

Id say more, but i want to win this :)

Kara

« Reply #443 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:16 AM »
I'd wait on Bony 2012 until we're sure he's not just another Amr Zaki.

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuge Dzeko stan and I wouldn't pick him.

Kara

« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »
He's just so........... mechanically awkward. I mean he gets goals but half the time I'm like :mindblown how did that happen.

Kara

« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »
La Liga :lawd

People at all levels being able to cross the ball. (Sergio Ramos excluded.) :lawd

Also it's pretty reductionist to classify a Bosniak as an Eastern European. :wag

Kara

« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2014, 01:29:04 AM »
"My black friends are cool with it." :hitler

spoiler (click to show/hide)
South Slavs vs. Eastern Slavs vs. Western Slavs is a mess I don't want to get into itt.
[close]

I'm never confident that he will get the job done until the season's over and he's got it done. Then I troll the haters. :shh

Meanwhile Kun Aguero-kun could have an amputated leg and I'd still be confident he'd be a top scorer, that's why I paid the surcharge for him over Dzeko.

Kara

« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2014, 01:38:59 AM »
Slavwhine :dead

I picked Rooney for my team along with Kun-kun so good characterization of my rationale!

(I'm riding a lot of bargain bin picks this year that let me sink so much cash into striker.)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #448 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:18 AM »
Ok guys here is the winning team

I'd wait on Bony 2012 until we're sure he's not just another Amr Zaki.

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuge Dzeko stan and I wouldn't pick him.

Maybe Im biased because ive seen him play for a few seasons in Holland, dude is a beast.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #449 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:23 AM »
For the new page

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:33:58 AM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2014, 02:53:21 AM »
I wasn't ashamed of using it, just didnt like the gif. Took me weeks to get used to that wobble man.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2014, 03:15:12 AM »
I have no idea either, he is a wild card.

Curious how much Blind will cost when Man U buy him. Hope he will be 5 million :)

Kara

« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
Fair enough. taking a lot out of your midfield eh? tbh, there are some really solid bargain picks there, more so than at striker so that makes sense.

Himu

« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »
How the fuck do I change my formation on Fantasy?
IYKYK

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
drag a player from your subs bench (say a midfielder) to a player different role (i.e. defender or attacker) and the formation will magically change
O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
Put a euro on Bayern even though I prefer Dortmund, then when Bayern was down one I put another euro on tjem cause the odds where 8-1 :(

I have loads of credit on bet365 cause I signed up thinking they stream most games, but its only stinkers and in low res.

Fuck that site

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »
I dunno what that is, i wanted a cheap legit stream

I normally use livetv.sx

Kara

« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
dirty little secret: (hidden from the narks) Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

some malaysian guy streams his local syndicated coverage of most big games. you often get off brand commentary/punditry, but the stream quality is crazy.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
did they play a 352 again?

still not sold on it.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »
Look Pep learned under LvG and built on his system, both at Barca and at Bayern.

But unlike Mourinho who was also under LvG and is smart himself, Pep is just a copy pasta robot.

warcock

« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2014, 07:15:48 PM »

Hahahahhahaha.

:rejoice

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
For headwalk

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSporf/statuses/499561228994617344

:lol

i'm all for bringing in players without claret and blue running through their veins. maybe they'll win something.

bringing in jenko seems almost sadistic though, even if it's a loan. he's a sickening gooner lifer. in his interview he had the eyes of a jew whose dad had just signed him up to shovelling his buddies into the auschwitz ovens.

« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
From a different thread.

hand in your spurs, pick a premiership side to go full yob over and join the bore FPL.

(not spurs).

oh, and murder the GAF thread.

So, which Premiere League team should I root for and what do I need to know about this fantasy league?

Himu

« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »
Adding fantasy league stuff to the op.

Steve, watch games. Pick which one you like the most.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #465 on: August 13, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
From a different thread.

hand in your spurs, pick a premiership side to go full yob over and join the bore FPL.

(not spurs).

oh, and murder the GAF thread.

So, which Premiere League team should I root for and what do I need to know about this fantasy league?

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

there's a fantasyPL reddit if you basically want to cheat and use a gamefaq. just copy one of their teams, swap in some names you recognise so you have some personal investment and then ask them to rate your team. /r/soccer is actually a surprisingly decent place to keep up with everything going on too. it's a bit sickeningly inoffensive, but that comes with the /r/territory.

as for picking a team, well, that's easy, you pick west ham.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
there's the football ramble too http://www.thefootballramble.com/show, which i run hot and cold on depending on my pun/cheeky northerner tolerance threshold.

Kara

« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:31 PM »
Steve, the cool thing about being a Hammer is that you get to take frequent vacations down to the Championship.

Also your bitter rival is rarely ever in the same league as you yet you somehow have a losing record against them.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:37 PM »
is there even a word for people who support city?

oh yeah, shareholders.

Kara

« Reply #469 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
Bitters is the traditional one.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
Arab and eastern european oil magnates should just buy every single PL and fringe championship team so the money complaints subside and everyone sits in equal shame at such an obscene amount of money being invested into kicking a ball around.

the only industry where being run by a couple of porn magnates seems entirely saccharine.

Kara

« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »
Arab and eastern european oil magnates should just buy every single PL and fringe championship team so the money complaints subside and everyone sits in equal shame at such an obscene amount of money being invested into kicking a ball around.

Or people could just get some new material.

Munich is a censored word on Blue Moon for a reason.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »

oh yeah, shareholders.

this is harsh - even when City plunged down to the 3rd teir of English football they -still- maintained loyal support. City supporters tend to be , on the whole, actual mancs - unlike the Red scum prawn sandwich munching cockney red lot over the road.

I don't know a single City fan who has bandwagon jumped (though i am sure the exist) because, even with their success, they don't have the attraction of Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal for some reason.

O=X

Kara

« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
The only City match I've ever been to was some shit tier (too young to remember, too lazy to go and find out) shitshow. :lawd

Maine Road :lawd

The Goat :lawd

My ex-half-uncle? (don't ask) used to work within visual range of Old Trafford and even after YEARS of being there it still made him :umad to go to work every day. :tocry

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2014, 01:12:32 AM »

oh yeah, shareholders.

Hahaha

I like you despite your irrational hate for the Gunners <3

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #476 on: August 14, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
:holeup

Any predictions for the weekend?

W= beats, D= draws, L=loses to

Leicester D Everton (1-1, i might favor Everton though)
QPR W Hull (1-0)
Stoke W Villa (1-0)
Arsenal W Palace (2-0 or 3-1)
Liverpool W Southampton (2-0 or 3-0)
Newcastle L Man City (2-0 or 3-0)
Burnley L Chelsea (2-0 or 3-0)
West Brom L Sunderland (1-0)
West Ham W or D Spurs (1-0, 1-1, 2-1)
Man U W Swansea (2-0)

yeah, looks about right. think everton will be pretty comfortable beating leicester despite their pre-season, sunderland will look pretty decent and take west brom.

don't really want to think too much about our match to be honest. statistics are on our side (for once) but i still don't know what to expect. it's too late to consider doing anything about BFS and he was making the right noises at the fan forum, so the harness has come down and we're all locked in to another thrilling year of hoofball/attacking football which becomes hoofball after fifteen minutes of blunders.

hoping for top 10. 13 is more likely. settle for anything which avoids a relegation dogfight.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:57:43 PM by headwalk »

Himu

« Reply #477 on: August 14, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
So much to catch up on this thread. Sorry I been away.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: OFFICIAL FOOTBALL/SOCCER - EPL season starts 8/16! Memorize your chants!
« Reply #478 on: August 14, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
er i thought this was the op..
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Re: OFFICIAL FOOTBALL/SOCCER - EPL season starts 8/16! Memorize your chants!
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
Burnley and Newcastle will beat City and Chelsea?

Esch...