Author Topic: Xbox Games with Gold  (Read 69256 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Games with Gold: Chariot, Bad Company 2, Darksiders 2
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Wait, so it's two Games on Demand retail titles this time for 360? BC2 and Darksiders 2 -- neither is an Arcade title.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
Did I stutter?
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »
I guess it’s not so weird. They’re both old games you can get on disc at Gamestop from their bargain bin, so it’s not like they’re slipping everyone a free copy of the latest Forza.

Not sure if I should be happy or sad about Halo REACH, the download conks out at 80%, so I can’t play it. OTOH, I can’t play it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
Bad Company 2 is up.

Ubisoft is also putting a mess of their stuff on sale. Assassins Creed series has a number of entries discounted, and I’ve just picked up AC: Liberation HD for US$5.

Splinter Cell and Far Cry are also be-cheapened.

Beyond Good and Evil is also out there at 75% off.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2014, 03:47:59 AM »
So... neither HALO REACH nor Bad Company 2 will complete the download for me. Purchase on 360 was blocked, purchase on Xbox.com went through, but download self-corrupts at 80%.

Is anyone else outside the USA having trouble with this last couple of games?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Games with Gold: Chariot, Darksiders 2
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 03:06:34 AM »
Darksiders 2 is up; over 7GB of Zelda-like goodness with an Image Comics-style skin.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
GWG November:

X1: Volgarr The Viking
360: Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, Red Faction Guerrila

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/xbox-one-novembers-games-with-gold-are-no-turkeys
fat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
They are gonna nickel and dime the x1 side with all this indie stuff I see.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »
you sound mad. might i recommend buying a copy of Zoo Tycoon since a lot of people seem to think that would be a better choice?
fat

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
SHUT THE FUCK UP

VIVA PINATA

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »
Wow! I didn’t know VP had a sequel other than that collection of party games, Party Animal, or whatever.

Rare indicated that, with the sequel, they have "perfected the food chain", increasing the variety of items which piñatas will eat and the results which will occur when they do.[9] This is intended to reduce the repetitive "instruct each piñata to eat every possible item" activity which was sometimes required in the earlier title.

Well, that’s pretty darned great!

Also, on Xbone, isn’t Volgarr supposed to be pretty darned good?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
 Sweet, my step son will love Viva

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
Volgarr is one of the best action/platformers (and most likely the best indie game) I've ever played.
BiSH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Yup I knew it, kid has gone full piñata on me

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Today’s the last day for the Viva Piñata sequel; tomorrow 360’s GWG selection becomes Red Faction Guerrilla, easily the most under appreciated open world game of last-gen. I hope the newbies are playing multiplayer still when I get back to my 360 in a couple weeks!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
To people who haven't played it yet, I highly recommend Red Faction.  It's probably my favorite open world game and one of my favorite games of the last generation.
🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
December Games With Gold:

http://majornelson.com/2014/11/26/xbox-live-games-gold-december-2014/

XB1 - Worms Battleground

360 - Raven: Legacy of Master Thief, SSX
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Games with Gold: Raven: Legacy of Master Thief, SSX, Worms Battleground
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
Greeeeat.  I bought the games-on-demand version of SSX on sale, months ago. Only played a little.

Never even heard of Raven.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »
:lol I bought SSX, too. I think it was only like $3, though.
sup

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
What's Raven? I'm down for SSX

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »
The Raven is a point and click adventure that's based on generic Agatha Christie characters and settings.

Your playable protagonist is 'I Can't Believe its Not Hercule Poirot".

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:16 AM »
:lol I bought SSX, too. I think it was only like $3, though.
yeah, same sale I got it on as well. Hard to complain, less than a cup of coffee costs.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
January GWG:

D4 (XB1)
MX vs ATV Alive (360)
Witcher 2 (360)

Three fantastic games across Xbox One and Xbox 360 will make sure you start your New Year off right. Xbox One gets the critically acclaimed indie adventure game D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die (or D4 for short), while Xbox 360 gets off-road racer MX vs. ATV Alive, and the epic role-playing game The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. As usual, all games are available only for a limited time, as part of the ongoing Games with Gold program – so find a buddy (or not), and jump in!

* D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die ($14.99 ERP): Available from January 1-31 on Xbox One
 * MX vs. ATV Alive ($19.99 ERP): Available from January 1-15 on Xbox 360
 * The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ($29.99 ERP): Available from January 16-31 on Xbox 360
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »
Does the ATV game have any pedigree?

Looking forward to trying Witcher.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »
Exactly why I didn't buy D4.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2014, 12:49:11 AM »
Does the ATV game have any pedigree?

Looking forward to trying Witcher.

Nope:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mx-vs-atv-alive

Stoney Mason

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
unfortunate but I think the inherent problem is that if games with gold is just a dumping ground for indie titles, or lower budget material, you are teaching your audience not to purchase that material since you are gonna get it free in a couple of months.

It also didn't help that MS didn't really promote D4 at all. I think Sony does a better job of promoting that lower tier content where MS seems to save it all for the big titles.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »
I've never understood why MS ran away from Xbox Live Arcade. It was one of the great things about 360 early on and ever since then they've completely walked away from it year by year until the concept doesn't even really exist on the xbox one.

It ends up leaving an entire audience who only cares about the blockbuster stuff and looks at the free game of the month on xbox one as some indie shit that isn't worth their time.

You have to educate and promote your catalog. Especially the lower budget stuff.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2014, 07:43:32 PM »
XBLA from several years back became very difficult to be profitable on. It didn’t help that MS never changed up the “store” element of the Dashboard to make things more easily located, nor was enough effort put into curation.

Now that digital downloads for Games On Demand are becoming almost concurrent with the retail release of many games, and the XBLA size limitation has gradually been ablated, there’s nothing other than brand to separate GoD from XBLA, and the brand has been devalued by its lackluster performance.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
XBLA from several years back became very difficult to be profitable on. It didn’t help that MS never changed up the “store” element of the Dashboard to make things more easily located, nor was enough effort put into curation.

Now that digital downloads for Games On Demand are becoming almost concurrent with the retail release of many games, and the XBLA size limitation has gradually been ablated, there’s nothing other than brand to separate GoD from XBLA, and the brand has been devalued by its lackluster performance.

Yeah, that I consider one of the greatest fuck-ups of the last generation. Microsoft was literally sitting on a goldmine and they got incredibly greedy which forced developers to run to every other platform.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
I think MS is no more or less greedy than any other corporation. I honestly attribute it more to a large, corporate bureaucracy failing to adapt to changes in a nascent and fluid market.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
I think MS is no more or less greedy than any other corporation. I honestly attribute it more to a large, corporate bureaucracy failing to adapt to changes in a nascent and fluid market.

While I never published directly on XBLA I've been involved in multiple talks with their publishing and legal teams over the years. One of the bigger changes I noticed is that their publishing contracts changed unfavorably in 2010. While contracts are always modified and catered to each individual company, 2010 was about when they started becoming overtly aggressive. Long story short Microsoft began adding unnecessary financial stipulations and often demanded platform exclusivity without much benefit to the developer, and even co-marketing options that was engineered to further reduce developer pay-outs.

The entire change was under the guise of "best market for indies" which was true the year before but 2010 saw a dramatic shift towards Steam and PS3 which rendered most of their argument invalid and grossly manipulative. One of the primary reasons you saw such a quick turn away in that time-frame and why a lot of heat was generated in the public eye in the following year by developers who were raked by Microsoft's legal team. There is a very concrete argument to be made that Microsoft is one of the primary reasons for Steam becoming the center of indie publishing.

We're basically making the same point, you're just a lot more courteous and erudite about it, lol.

a slime appears

• retro king
Re: Games with Gold: MX vs ATV Alive (360), Dark Dreams Don’t Die (XB1)
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2015, 12:14:50 PM »
D4 is up for free gold download btw.

Gonna play it today to see why neckbeards are flapping their tits over this game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2015, 03:54:59 AM »

While I never published directly on XBLA I've been involved in multiple talks with their publishing and legal teams over the years. One of the bigger changes I noticed is that their publishing contracts changed unfavorably in 2010. While contracts are always modified and catered to each individual company, 2010 was about when they started becoming overtly aggressive. Long story short Microsoft began adding unnecessary financial stipulations and often demanded platform exclusivity without much benefit to the developer, and even co-marketing options that was engineered to further reduce developer pay-outs.

The entire change was under the guise of "best market for indies" which was true the year before but 2010 saw a dramatic shift towards Steam and PS3 which rendered most of their argument invalid and grossly manipulative. One of the primary reasons you saw such a quick turn away in that time-frame and why a lot of heat was generated in the public eye in the following year by developers who were raked by Microsoft's legal team. There is a very concrete argument to be made that Microsoft is one of the primary reasons for Steam becoming the center of indie publishing.

We're basically making the same point, you're just a lot more courteous and erudite about it, lol.
Actually, you know more about it than I do. I’ve not dealt with MS’ as a publisher other than establishing the initial publisher contracts. Per project, those negotiations took place above my pay grade, and friends who have dealt directly with them have fumed but been appropriately discreet about the contract and legal details.

It has been really interesting to see the re-emergence of a humble Sony as being so supportive of indie developers, attempting to regain that edge that they had in the PS1 era, when they were a new force, an underdog. And it’s been sad to see MS fumble their lead this generation, and behave so reactively, eliminating the features which could have really set the Xbox One apart from its closest rival.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »

Actually, you know more about it than I do. I’ve not dealt with MS’ as a publisher other than establishing the initial publisher contracts. Per project, those negotiations took place above my pay grade, and friends who have dealt directly with them have fumed but been appropriately discreet about the contract and legal details.

It has been really interesting to see the re-emergence of a humble Sony as being so supportive of indie developers, attempting to regain that edge that they had in the PS1 era, when they were a new force, an underdog. And it’s been sad to see MS fumble their lead this generation, and behave so reactively, eliminating the features which could have really set the Xbox One apart from its closest rival.

Well I still think you're right; Microsoft wasn't simply being greedy and I grossly overgeneralized it to a loaded adjective. They're a corporation and the people behind those decisions simply couldn't anticipate or react quickly enough to changing market conditions. What works for AAA disc-based development most certainly does not for Joe-Indie and they didn't/couldn't react to that in a timely fashion.

I just get a little passionate about it since I was a incredibly strong supporter of the movement and felt a bit saddened that MS kept their swagger when an increasingly demanding indie market was. Microsoft's reactions were understandable from their perspective however. Why would they kowtow to a couple of guys barely making minimum wage for an XBLA game when they have Activision in the other corner complying without issue?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2015, 02:05:43 AM »
Exactly right. Or, at least, we are in agreement. We may both be wrong: Based Gaben may have had highly placed moles in MS' Xbox division working to secure Steam's prevalence, which Steam has now squandered by encouraging a "wait for the sale" culture.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2015, 01:48:59 AM »
I would comment, but I'm waiting for the sale!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
I would comment, but I'm waiting for the sale!
:maf

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
February GWG:

Xbox One:
 #IDARB ($14.99 ERP): Available from Feb. 1 – 28 on Xbox One

Xbox 360:
 Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ($14.99 ERP): Available from Feb. 1 – 15 on Xbox 360

Sniper Elite V2 ($29.99 ERP): Available from Feb. 16 – 28 on Xbox 360

http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/games-bundle-up-with-some-hot-deals-with-february-games-with-gold
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Games with Gold: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (360), #IDARB (XB1)
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
Updated. Thanks, demi.

I’m happy to get Brothers, but could not give two flying fucks about Sniper Elite.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2015, 02:07:32 AM »
IDARB is a fun game that is completely useless to me since I'm not in college and don't have friends come over to play on my xbox. Wasted opportunity there imo.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2015, 08:29:39 AM »
IDARB is a fun game that is completely useless to me since I'm not in college and don't have friends come over to play on my xbox. Wasted opportunity there imo.

That’s how I feel about that indie game, Screen Cheat. Looks like a blast, but I don’t have the local social network to support it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »

Finally something on xb1 I will actually play.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

Man, I have played as much Tomb Raider as I will ever care to, and I won’t touch Infinite again, ever.

On the bright side, April is the month I’ll either make some backlog progress or pick up a PS4.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Games with Gold: Sniper Elite V2 (360), #IDARB (XB1)
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
Now that I'm considering a One I gotta pull your move Chrono and "buy" these games on Xbox.com :lol has that worked for you?

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »
Infinite being free is perfect for me. Sold the game a while ago, wanted to rebuy The Complete edition that has all the DLC, this way I get Infinite back and only have to buy a season pass or select DLC.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
Huh? I thought IDARB was free already?
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
Ohhhh I read that wrong. April is the double game month.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2015, 03:47:38 AM »
Now that I'm considering a One I gotta pull your move Chrono and "buy" these games on Xbox.com :lol has that worked for you?
Ironically, I have not yet bought an XBone, so I don’t know if it works or not. Logically, you are purchasing the games for the active duration of your Xbox Live Gold account, so they should stay in your library as long as you are paid up.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
Can we please get Ryse on games with gold? Christ.
YMMV

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »

Download Smartglass (the XB1 version, not the 360) on iOS/Android and just buy them with that.
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »
Sweet, that worked. Thanks, demi. At least I'll have a few games whenever I pull the trigger. Wish I would have started sooner!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Games with Gold: Tomb Raider (360), Rayman (XB1)
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
TOMB RAIDER, aka known on TheBore as Gore Verbinski’s Japanese Vacation, is live on Games with Gold.

There’s also some french cartoon game on Xbone.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
Xbox One:
Pool Nation FX ($9.99 ERP): Available all month on Xbox One
Child of Light ($14.99 ERP): Available all month on Xbox One

Xbox 360:
Gears of War: Judgment ($19.99 ERP): Available from April 1-15 on Xbox 360
Terraria ($14.99 ERP): Available from April 1-15 on Xbox 360
Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag ($29.99 ERP): Available from April 16-31 on Xbox 360
Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel ($19.99 ERP): Available from April 16-31 on Xbox 360

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
Damn, don't own any of those 360 games  :gladbron
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
I guess I'll get that Pool game....
fat

Cheddahz

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
actually really stoked to play the pool game

Stoney Mason

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
For what ever reason Child of Light never really interested me. I guess I'll give it a try.

Probably more interested in trying Judgement and playing Army of 2 co-op.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Games with Gold: SIX games in April; 2 on XBOne, 4 on 360
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2015, 06:13:55 AM »
Thanks, Stoney!

I just updated the OP with this:

April:

http://www.trueachievements.com/n19765/april-games-with-gold-announced.htm
After arguably one of Games With Gold's best months since its inception, just how would Microsoft follow it up? Well this April, to celebrate 100 million Games With Gold downloads, six games will be on offer to download. Before we get to those however, the usual reminder to pick up the excellent Rayman Legends and BioShock Infinite before they return to their normal prices next month.

To kick off this bumper month, let's start with the two Xbox One offerings for April. New release Pool Nation FX and Child of Light will be free to download on Xbox One throughout the entire month.

Moving onto the four Xbox 360 games now, the most recent Gears game, Gears of War: Judgment, and Terraria (Xbox 360) will be available from April 1st through to April 15th. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360) and Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel will then take over from April 16th until the end of the month.

:hyper