Author Topic: GAMERGATE: Both Sides Have The Same Melt Value  (Read 177333 times)

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Re: GAMERGATE
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
Just think long and hard for a moment and try to imagine anyone outside of a certain subset of sad white guys thinking that GAMERGATE is about anything besides sad white guys being sad white guys.  If you can't, good, you're a good person.  If you can, you have problems and probably sympathized with Walter White on the hit TV show "Breaking Bad".
vin

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
Just think long and hard for a moment and try to imagine anyone outside of a certain subset of sad white guys thinking that GAMERGATE is about anything besides sad white guys being sad white guys.  If you can't, good, you're a good person.  If you can, you have problems and probably sympathized with Walter White on the hit TV show "Breaking Bad".
Typical gamer, doesn't even think of the females.

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »

Truth.

It's really hurts my head reading through all of it. A lot of cognitive dissonance going on.

You can't say they're discriminating others, because you're discriminating against them!  :lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:18:01 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Steve Contra

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
It would take me about 2 minutes to find a picture of a magazine editor and a business developer guy who's worked for more than 6 major companies on a scuba diving trip together about 3 years ago, but no, Zoe Quinn pushed it over the edge.
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
Game Informer has posted monthly pictures of their editors, former editors now PR and all the various people from a hundred companies partying and doing all sorts of other stuff in the start of their magazine for the last thirteen years.  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »
I'll keep doing my thing, but only because my thing is on the fringe of all of this. I can understand why Chronovore (and the many, many other devs I've talked to about this situation) are preparing to leave the industry after all this shit.

Just for clarity’s sake, I’ve been half-out of games for the last two years, and though I still like making games, I’m going to have to make them for myself; they’re likely to be small things that no-one ever hears about. I’ve spent 20 years making games, and the motivation was always to make something for players to enjoy. The high points of my career have been people saying, “WOW, you made THAT?! I love that game!”

Letting the #gamergate shit-piles affect me to the point where I give up all of that would be like letting the Westboro Baptist Church scare a lifelong christian off their faith or charity work. Their work, the faith, it’s still valid. I’m just re-scoping my involvement in the industry to be more healthily self-centered rather than relying on a fickle and, for some, toxic crowd. I sure as hell don’t feel like doing anything nice for them.

etiolate

« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »
It would take me about 2 minutes to find a picture of a magazine editor and a business developer guy who's worked for more than 6 major companies on a scuba diving trip together about 3 years ago, but no, Zoe Quinn pushed it over the edge.

You should probably read something about this if you're going to talk about it.

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/09/real-gamedevs-sound-off-regarding-the-gamergate-controversy/

Slade Villena – Rogue Star Games:

My story; after an honorable enlistment as a US Marine, I left to chase my computer science degree, with a focus on game engines and development. I rode college on a GI Bill. Naturally, I was part of the “indie” movement that focused on game craft, software, and of course my pet agenda: war games. Most SJWs in Gamasutra didn’t like my writing (I wrote about war psychology, criticizing SJW rhetoric, game engines and software, all the stuff SJWs hate), but due to numerous readers, I usually score a featured post every week.

In 2012, I started getting into more and more heated arguments on Gamasutra channels and comments. During that year, after I scored seed funding on Kickstarter, I received the equivalent of a “shadowban”. Basically, I could no longer access my gamedev blog. 3 years of my writing as a gamedev student, and then some as an indie dev. I later learned through rumors that Christian Nutt and Leigh Alexander took direct control of the blog sections.

I started seeing similar patterns during that year, in full force, targeted at my other gamedev friends; Kotaku, Polygon, RPS, NeoGAF, and ilk. 2012 was the year “proto GamerGate” started, but they targeted smaller gamedevs that they could silence. As of late, they tried doing the same thing to gamers. I’ve only mildly encountered the SJW circles embedded in gamedev. They try to silence you for dissenting opinions.

It’s mostly a war on rhetoric, but they use isolation, shaming, media blockades, threatening future connections as a means of exploiting weaker willed gamedevs. Right now; they threaten indie gamedevs by mildly excluding them from meetups and discussions, boldly by spreading rumors with game festival staff. Please keep in mind; I talk to you under the threat of character assassination, and career sabotage.

All of which DID happen to numerous gamedevs over the past 4 weeks. It’s only apparent now because someone caught it; most of the time, this flies under the radar.

The origin of the NotYourShield bit:

Jason Miller – The originator of #notyourshield:

Nobody cared who I was until I started #notyourshield. I came home last Friday to a comfy couch, my living room PC, to make a quick post about gamedev to my small but amazing followers and hopefully play some Left 4 Dead 2. With no warning or lead in I see a link on Gamasutra. A site I’ve followed since college days declaring “Gamers are Dead.” another article called “The Demise of Gamers”. I felt both articles were written so vitriolically, hatefully, if any person in any industry were to write that about their customers or people they must endure daily that person should leave for the health of the industry and their own mental health going forward.

That’s what I posted. I was immediately hit with a barrage of “why don’t you leave your basement sometime and stop leeching off mommy”. I respond “miss I have a five bedroom home” and perhaps a bit arrogantly “a surround sound and gaming PC set up likely more than your annual income”. I’m grown, I’m an audiophile, games enthusiast and I didn’t care for being spoken to like an angry child.

That’s how it started. For the days that followed chasing down a rabbit hole of hashtags, youtube videos, Adam Baldwin, deleted posts, figuring out who would and wouldn’t talk about all the weirdness that is #gamergate. I’m a mid 20’s African American originally from one of the poorest, most blighted communities in America, someone not only respected but gives back as often as I can lost my identity and became a “white fat, neckbeard dudebro manchild”.

I was the enemy. My history was attacked, I was never raised by a single grandmother and worked for my games with calloused hands, I was “privileged”. I don’t understand my own day-to-day struggles anymore or what I’m offended by, others would speak for me. I was in “deep denial”. “Shhhhh…” they’d actually say. There’s a name for what some of them are implying I was and I won’t say it, but it’s the subject of a famous Malcom X speech along with being defined for modern audiences in Django Unchained, played amazingly by Samuel L Jackson. I’ve even seen one with the gall to use it against the entire gaming community.

I had attempted to reach out to other indie devs and people in the industry with no avail. It’s been either you’re with us, against us, or silence. Twitter is the only place I’ve seen open speech. Now I’m going to take back a part of my history for a moment to tell you a bit about myself. On the block I grew up, to about every young man that came across her path my Grandmother was known as “The Law”. She didn’t care how big you were, how many people you had with you, if you were doing wrong she let you know and stopped you. She did everything she could to raise me as a man everyday of her life, taught me to stand up for people, pick them up, pick myself back up and got me here today so the next time someone wants to throw out misogynist know there was nobody in my life that taught me “patriarchy” only right, wrong and when to stand for what was right. I might have been a nerd but I’ve never been a coward. She was a straight shooter and so am I.

So as I’m looking through all of this I see a woman who made a parody piece on certain gaming personalities who was then harassed, doxxed, threatened to tears. Now that sort of thing lights a fire in me. I know I can’t go and punch every person behind a screen but the one thing I can do is say “not in my name”. If you want to hate, go ahead, insult people, ignore the people you claim to represent but do not claim you do it in the name of “justice”. What followed I’m not really proud of myself I was arguing, fighting, sunk down to their level in a lot of ways. But in some ways I am proud, I was able to throw myself, my work and everything on the table for a human being I had never met. While all the super-progressive people that were supposed to have our “best interests” stood by and laughed.

It wasn’t until one night I saw the other marginalized people fighting too I thought “there should be a hashtag. Something like “#NotYourShield”. I don’t have a huge following or a field of influencers to say “make it so” to around me, just some guys that like mobile games and weird experiments. I didn’t expect it would connect and resonate with others that well, the following, articles or videos it was a casual idea, many turned great.

Then came the allegations, it was either 4chan’s idea or I’m in collusion with 4chan whatever. None of that has a hint of truth. I don’t mind them using the hashtag because looking at Alexa they have more women there than most of the gaming sites and personalities we’re rallied against. They have an active lgbt board and users and each one of them deserves a voice. I’d rather not see sockpuppets because that hurts the rest of us.

Full disclosure: I have gone to 4chan since these events began and at least when I look I don’t see plans for harassment of individuals. Rowdy voices get snuffed out. That might be recent maybe with us joined in. In my opinion calling whats happening harassment is like a criminal calling it harassment when presented with evidence of wrongdoing. All of these different people who don’t know each other and wouldn’t work together 7 days ago, reading their history some of these sites were at each others necks months ago, didn’t band up just to mess up one or two small-name big-ego peoples days and sustain it for a full week. People are jeopardizing careers and livelihoods, taking a side while others are working day and night to call out corruption everything else can sit in the back seat.

We were “weaponized minorities”, at a better time I might intend to make an fps about that but for right now if anything is being weaponized it is the gaming industry and press vs it’s customers. They performed a set of actions that caused harm also caused us to band together, indie devs, youtubers, twitters(…tweeters?) redditors, tumblrs, bloggers and yes even 4channers in a way that might render them all but obsolete. If there’s a war for people to be imperialized the so-called Social Justice Warriors are the ones singing the White Man’s Burden.

We “don’t know what’s best for ourselves” because of course we can only legitimately participate in a movement when it fits their world view. The condescension is amazing. The fact that another indie dev who will not be named tweeted that 4chan screenshot, then removed and blocked me for coming with evidence. It was my doing only proves how far these people will go to spin whatever facts come up and I can’t abide that. I know what’s best for myself, my future and it’s not with you.

I am really truly sorry in my heart for whatever happened online, in games, to you, your friends and loved ones that made you so…hateful. But I and the thousands and thousands of people are #notyourshield to hide behind.

If you think it's stupid then ignore it. I had ignored it completely until I had insomnia. Then I learned about it instead of talking out of my ass like I had been.

Don't feel a need to generalize and dismiss people because of your own deep self-loathing.

Steve Contra

« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
 :lol

If the bore was going to have a gamergate defender it would have to be Etiolate, wouldn't it.
vin

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »
Well, looks like I'm not getting Ishkur's EDM Guide vol 3 any time soon: :gloomy

https://twitter.com/IshkursEMGuide/status/507684325010472962
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
Slade Villena – Rogue Star Games:

My story; after an honorable enlistment as a US Marine, I left to chase my computer science degree, with a focus on game engines and development. I rode college on a GI Bill. Naturally, I was part of the “indie” movement that focused on game craft, software, and of course my pet agenda: war games. Most SJWs in Gamasutra didn’t like my writing (I wrote about war psychology, criticizing SJW rhetoric, game engines and software, all the stuff SJWs hate), but due to numerous readers, I usually score a featured post every week.

In 2012, I started getting into more and more heated arguments on Gamasutra channels and comments. During that year, after I scored seed funding on Kickstarter, I received the equivalent of a “shadowban”. Basically, I could no longer access my gamedev blog. 3 years of my writing as a gamedev student, and then some as an indie dev. I later learned through rumors that Christian Nutt and Leigh Alexander took direct control of the blog sections.

I started seeing similar patterns during that year, in full force, targeted at my other gamedev friends; Kotaku, Polygon, RPS, NeoGAF, and ilk. 2012 was the year “proto GamerGate” started, but they targeted smaller gamedevs that they could silence. As of late, they tried doing the same thing to gamers. I’ve only mildly encountered the SJW circles embedded in gamedev. They try to silence you for dissenting opinions.

It’s mostly a war on rhetoric, but they use isolation, shaming, media blockades, threatening future connections as a means of exploiting weaker willed gamedevs. Right now; they threaten indie gamedevs by mildly excluding them from meetups and discussions, boldly by spreading rumors with game festival staff. Please keep in mind; I talk to you under the threat of character assassination, and career sabotage.

All of which DID happen to numerous gamedevs over the past 4 weeks. It’s only apparent now because someone caught it; most of the time, this flies under the radar.
And then the professor ran out crying while all the kids in the class carried me off for church service...oops got my stories mixed up.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »
Hey man, you knockin' on Wally White?! That's not gonna stand!
Even at his most depraved he never thought gaming was a lifestyle.
You take that back!
que

benjipwns

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/LuiGar333/status/517603733287337987
Just a heads up @TheRalphRetort! @NeoGAF users are not above using someone's suicide to blame #GamerGate!

benjipwns

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
Actually dipped into the GAF thread:
[Gamergate is] about a ton of things, youtube personalities and how they operate is a complicated subject by itself. Offering and accepting brand deals itself isn't corruption as long as the youtube personality makes it clear that they are paid to cover the game. It's corruption when it's blatantly used as a way to tilt coverage to your favor which the PR people at WB certainly are trying to do. WB is making a fool of themselves with how they treated Shadow of Mordor's youtube coverage, but they don't have a track record of doing that and some are willing to forgive it as a one off screwup.

What is happening for Gamergate on the other hand is something that's been boiling over for a long time. People need to understand the trigger for Gamergate isn't Zoe Quinn, it's Depression Quest. And how some think it's offensive hipster trash being pushed by certain people for unknown reasons, I personally don't care about it but it does strike me as not something indie devs should be taking very seriously. So Gamergate really isn't about Misogyny or corruption, it's a fight mainly about what the definition a "game" really is, and whether or not gaming can be taken seriously as an art form.
:lol

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
Pretty focused on journalism, huh.

etiolate

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »
You can get away from Twitter but you cannot escape #gamergate unless you get away from anywhere there are gamers

Hopefully this blows over by the New Year, I'm fucking done for now

I had a pretty easy time ignoring it until I sought it out due to boredom. L2Parse

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »

i think the reason this got pushed over the edge compared to other similiar accident is because of the kneejerk reaction many gaming site had what with all the "gamers are a bunch of neckbeard" article and supposedly censorship on reddit and other sites

You can get away from Twitter but you cannot escape #gamergate unless you get away from anywhere there are gamers

Hopefully this blows over by the New Year, I'm fucking done for now

seeing oscar catching feels :heh
<----

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Hey, etiolate, as long as you're educating yourself, check out http://infowars.com

makes u think
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:41:08 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

etiolate

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
You're pathetic.

benjipwns

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
Hey, etiolate, as long as you're educating yourself, check out http://infowars.com

makes u think
Now not even our superhero t-shirts are safe: http://www.infowars.com/feminists-claim-superhero-t-shirts-are-sexist/

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »
Someone in this thread is pathetic, but it sure as fuck ain't Treesong
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Hey buddy there can be more than one of us who is pathetic!

benjipwns

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2014, 02:57:11 AM »
Arguing on the internet is pointless. I've done it for years, and it never accomplishes anything.

To me the bias is obvious. I've also had friends link it to me pointing out the same thing. If you can't see if for yourself, then I guess you just can't see it, but I'm not going to try highlighting bits and debating line by line.
It's not about the facts, it's about tone. The article is clearly written to make you dislike gamergate even if you had no knowledge of the event until you read this article. It emphasizes their right-wing connections that most people don't really support/care about. It's about ending the article with a bombastic statement talking about how gamers feel they have a "Divine right" making them sound like insane zealots.

Read the Verge piece, and read the NYT piece, and see the difference in tone of the two articles. They're night and day. And the NYT piece is by no means Pro-Gamergate. Just written by people who understand the difference between an objective striving report and pushing an agenda.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/intel-pulls-ads-from-site-after-gamergate-boycott/
It's wrong because it's manipulating people. Trying to steer a public opinion not with facts, but with tone.

People have compared this issue to anti-vaccination. When you want to write an article about an anti-vaxxer event, you don't try to demonize them in the article, you present the facts and allow informed readers to make their own opinions. They'll come to the right decision, or they won't, but they probably wouldn't have anyway.
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
" journalist by calling, amateur writer "

hmmm....
O=X

benjipwns

« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
Homer Ruglia Beoulve
‏@ramzaruglia
@FoxAndAHalf It's going to be more amazing if we got this running, they would fear us even in their sleep. No rest for the wicked.

Mathias Nordvall ‏@MathiasNordvall  2h2 hours ago
An academic's fear is to publish but not be read. Here comes #OperationDiggingDiGRA to read all their work. That's some Good Guy Greg!
even more :dead
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:02:16 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »

DiGRA is the poisoned spring from whence all of this evil flows. It needs further investigation. Everyone should investigate them further.

EXPOSED, THE FACT-CHECKING AND VERIFICATION BEGINS

Sargon of Akkad11 hours ago

We are the fucking GAMERS.

We. Play. To. WIN.

#GamerGate #NotYourShield 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
Homer Ruglia Beoulve
‏@ramzaruglia
@FoxAndAHalf It's going to be more amazing if we got this running, they would fear us even in their sleep. No rest for the wicked.

Mathias Nordvall ‏@MathiasNordvall  2h2 hours ago
An academic's fear is to publish but not be read. Here comes #OperationDiggingDiGRA to read all their work. That's some Good Guy Greg!
even more :dead

#SignalBoost !
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
joe garcia10 hours ago

Not to sound like a weeb but this is why the Japanese gaming industry is superior. :3and fuck these people for taking my hobby and shitting on it for there Marxism agenda
andomviewer8968 hours ago

Does the paper trail go deeper? Was there any form of under-the-table monetary trading going on?
Nicholas Goroff11 hours ago

A festering sub-dermal infection comes to a head, its malignancy shown to the world in the form of a hashtag. Could this be the beginning of the end for modern social justice warriors, after so many decades of various victories throughout various sectors of society?
I'm hopeful. Well fucking done man. You've surpassed me in your investigative journalism.
(I'm still a better writer though...) 
frozenbinarystudio10 hours ago

Adrienne Shaw, really, who the fuck do you think you are? You do not represent anyone but yourself and your insane ideals. You do not represent me, and I know for a fact that other trans persons do not wish to be used by you to line your pockets.

Get the fuck away from me, my friends, the people of my community and my hobbies, you fucking parasite. #notyourshield  
lolololol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »
I love how gamgergate went from "nuh-uh!" to "so what!?" Getroffene Hunde bellen. The irony in the notyourshield tag is also tragically delicious, provided even half those people are real.

Steve Contra

« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
Hey buddy there can be more than one of us who is pathetic!
Yeah, we even have a libertarian in this thread
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
If you say say Not Your Shield like an angry black woman, it sounds like Nacho Shield, which sounds like something that would be p. cool imo.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »
Not even the sharpest of barbed comments can penetrate my Nacho Shield!
dog

Steve Contra

« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
A shield made of tortilla that when it breaks everyone stops fighting and makes nachos :aah
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
If you say say Not Your Shield like an angry black woman, it sounds like Nacho Shield, which sounds like something that would be p. cool imo.
"Hello, is this Mr. Molotov? I'm from Yum Brands! R&D and I've come across some information about an invention of yours...I think we can offer a very comfortable compensation package."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
 :aah
©@©™

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »
The Master Puppeteer behind The #GamerGate Hydra Revealed!

And his name is C A P I T A L I S M

Nor is it new that there are excellent feminist critics pointing this out within the games press, like Leigh Alexander

i stopped reading here :heh
<----

nudemacusers

« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/ramzaruglia/status/517906877921763328

the background  :rofl :rofl :rofl
every time i read some twitter gamergate shit its as if dudes are larping the da vinci code.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
corruption in journalism huh :hitler

What definitely seems to be true is that a moderator of r/KotakuInAction is also a moderator of r/cutefemalecorpses (which I would not recommend visiting). The moderator has since been removed as a moderator of KotakuInActiona because they don't want the bad PR associated with it. It's just incredibly ironic given the topic of Sarkeesian's latest video.

@ ETIOLATE :bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »

« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »
i dont think that was proven

also i'm not clicking that shit bruh

benjipwns

« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
It's pretty tame considering how GAF was losing its shit. Just basically says women actually enjoy rape because why else might they have an orgasm during one or have rape fantasies?!?

And then guy links to pro-rape women's stories or something.

nudemacusers

« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »

:leon
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
That feel when BeatingWomen was already taken, so you had to settle for BeatingWomen2. :noah
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2014, 11:41:18 PM »
man reddit what a great site huh guys
pcp

nudemacusers

« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
you could probably build an fbi profile based on the subreddit rings :kobeyuck
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
How do we know they aren't stings where all the members are from different agencies?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2014, 12:05:29 AM »
corruption in journalism huh :hitler

What definitely seems to be true is that a moderator of r/KotakuInAction is also a moderator of r/cutefemalecorpses (which I would not recommend visiting). The moderator has since been removed as a moderator of KotakuInActiona because they don't want the bad PR associated with it. It's just incredibly ironic given the topic of Sarkeesian's latest video.

what a coincidence!
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2014, 12:31:58 AM »
No one could have foreseen, etc etc
yar

nudemacusers

« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2014, 01:08:11 AM »
how do we know anita didn't create that account as a false flag op
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2014, 01:09:29 AM »
I could see it, this whole gamergate thing might be a false flag by females to discredit men and metaphorically force them out of the industry at literally gunpoint.

« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:16 AM »
how do we know anita didn't create that account as a false flag op

#SIGNALBOOST

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2014, 07:24:10 AM »
that philosophyofrape reddit has proven to be a fake made by some comedy site

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/reddit-group-teaches-army-of-holy-soldiers-to-rape-harlots-who-need-corrective-discipline/

some gaming journalist lost his shit about it and ended up looking like a dounce

the rest of it it's true though

<----

Dennis

« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
A Gaming Journalist ran with an outrage! story before checking his basic facts?

Takao

« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
:usavich

I tried reading the last page but it's all ???????

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
I really really really really really really love the GAMERGATE propaganda that gets retweeted onto my timeline.

https://twitter.com/Max_x_Milia/status/518866992640819201

Himu

« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
girl on my fb is defending gamers gate because she was made fun in school for liking final fantasy and wearing nerd shirts

i'm not advocating a pull up yer bootstraps nerds thing because i was made fun of liking anime and this doesn't affect my adult life at all. When you're a teenager, you tend to have identities. An anime fan/gamer was my identity and I'll say that my friends and I went too hard in the paint. And that's why we were laughed at. Not because we liked anime but because we made an identity out of it. I've had some growing paints and I"m not advocating bullying, but shouldn't adulthood help iron some of the issues out?

I dunno. Am I being hypocritical here? I'm not advocating bullying.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »
Hmm, yes, these people are definitely not insane! http://gamergate.rogue-star-industries.com
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:49:00 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

etiolate

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
girl on my fb is defending gamers gate because she was made fun in school for liking final fantasy and wearing nerd shirts

i'm not advocating a pull up yer bootstraps nerds thing because i was made fun of liking anime and this doesn't affect my adult life at all. When you're a teenager, you tend to have identities. An anime fan/gamer was my identity and I'll say that my friends and I went too hard in the paint. And that's why we were laughed at. Not because we liked anime but because we made an identity out of it. I've had some growing paints and I"m not advocating bullying, but shouldn't adulthood help iron some of the issues out?

I dunno. Am I being hypocritical here? I'm not advocating bullying.

Gaming can be a culture without being the basis of one's entire identity. It's not a binary thing. Really depends on how your friend is viewing it.

The issue here was kotaku and that ilk calling all gamers fat losers who are misogynists and racist in response to some people pointing out questionable relationships with some devs. It was a generalized attack on a group of people's characters, the group defined by one thing. It was basic bigotry (of which there is some in the thread here) that got a louder response than the people doing it expected.

Example: Brony's weird me out. I don't think a toy and cartoon should be the heart of your identity. Saying that, I don't really know if that criticism applies to everyone who watches the show. I wouldn't say a Brony is a loser just because of some awkward photos that I've seen. I could joke about Brony's being horse fuckers, but if I actually start to believe that deep down then it' generalizes, dismisses and robs people of their individual humanity. That's the by-the-numbers way of being a bigot. 

And when you do that in response to accusations of ethical impropriety then you just look stupid and guilty.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Hmm, yes, these people are definitely not insane. http://t.co/Mm7kT2NS8F

"GG veterans” - a few weeks espousing a cause, and they’re comparing themselves to soldiers who’ve fought on a battlefield and survived.

::)