Author Topic: Please share your struggle of the day  (Read 418100 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: Please share your struggle of the day
« Reply #540 on: October 23, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
They're your therapist not your mom. Geez. You don't need to be keeping secrets and if you do, time for a new therapist.
que

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #541 on: October 23, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
Your mom can't 5150 you (I supposed technically she can ask that you be 5150'd) or maroon you from access to your meds for however long it takes your insurance to process a change in provider.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #542 on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
I'd rather avoid any mention of it because I know how he operates - every issue brought up becomes a macro topic of supreme importance and leads to multiple questions about past things that might have no influence on anything. I told him about the relationship some time ago and he kept insinuating that it might be a sign of me being rebellious against my parents (my mom HATES my ex, hence why I didn't mention it to her), as if I was 15. In reality it was just a case of me knowing someone forever, one day seeing them in a sexual light and the rest is history. Meh.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #543 on: October 23, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »
My continued #struggle with the TurkCell USB cell modem today includes moving from 5GB remaining to 2GB because I forgot how prepaid internets work, downloaded a bunch of music from friends’ DropBoxen, imported it into my iTunes for my stepdad’s iPod, so it then copied 14 hours worth of music up to iTunes Match.

:fbm

Gotta go recharge the prepaid tomorrow. And then turn off all my automatic upload/download/preload bullshit on this machine.

Fifstar

« Reply #544 on: October 23, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
Cooked my steak well done  :yuck :fbm :derp
Gulp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #545 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
dumb it on the floor and eat it like an animal you piece of shit

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #546 on: October 23, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »
I can't believe Alton Brown got that twitter shut down.  What an asshole.
vin

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #547 on: October 23, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
 :o :( that was the best tweet of all time
pcp

Steve Contra

« Reply #548 on: October 23, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
vin

nudemacusers

« Reply #549 on: October 23, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
I can't believe Alton Brown got that twitter shut down.  What an asshole.
i've heard talk of him being a douche, this just seals it.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #550 on: October 23, 2014, 06:59:56 PM »
One of my clients politely reminded me that I have to pick an area of expertise soon and get hustling but I have no one I can really mine for advice who doesn't have an obvious conflict of interest (i.e. they are current clients) and I lack any other kind of support structure that I don't pay for.

(Spitballing in quotes cuz it's shitposting.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
[close]

There's international taxation too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:09:15 PM by Vularai »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #551 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
Where is the quit and become a rodeo clown option? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #552 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Had a job interview recently.  The following happened:

• My suit didn't fit.  Was baffled since I had bought a new one recently but it was entirely too small-- as if it would have fit me when I was much younger.
  • Had no other business attire available to wear since I rarely need to dress up.  Wore black jeans and the suit jacket, which was entirely too snug- I looked ridiculous.
  • Got out of the car and noticed that the heel of my right shoe fell off and little rubber bits were all over the place.
  • The rubber pieces continued to fall off as I walked, leaving a trail of rubber shit pellets behind me.
  • Sat down for the interview and it was made instantly clear that I was in no way qualified for this position-- I had zero experience with what they wanted.
  • The interview ended after only 20 minutes.  I think we all realized very quickly that this was a waste of time.
  • Got up and noticed a black stain of rubber crap from under where my foot was.  Hoped they didn't notice.
  • Went home and realized that I had grabbed the wrong suit.

:neogaf
:dead
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #553 on: October 23, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »
Well if it makes you feel any better, at least it wasn't the suit that kept you from that job.

Wait, that didn't come out right.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: October 23, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »
 :lol
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #555 on: October 24, 2014, 03:18:42 AM »
:rofl

Is there a term for “backhanded ether”?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #556 on: October 24, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »
finding out you got thrown under the bus by members of your platoon while you were on staff duty and not around to defend yourself, brehs. fuck this place

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #557 on: October 24, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
I have a horn growing out of my face.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #558 on: October 24, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
My wife is mad because I did not enjoy what she attempted to cook last night.

I believe a London Broil is probably above her skill level and should not be well done.

:kobeyuck
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #559 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
I went to opening night at the theatre last night but there was no place to eat at on the quick nearby because haute bourgeoisie ain't having none of that so I strolled down to the corner bodega and bought a Hot Pocket and beef jerky.

I was dressed up (at least by my standards) during all of this, BTW.

Some schmuck from Uber rolled up while I was outside stuffing my mouth with a scalding Hot Pocket to make it in time to the performance and asked if I wanted a ride and I wished I could have said, "Asshole, do I look like I need a fucking ride right now?" but I had scalding Hot Pocket in my mouth and just gave him the "fuck you" look.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #560 on: October 24, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
I went to opening night at the theatre last night but there was no place to eat at on the quick nearby because haute bourgeoisie ain't having none of that so I strolled down to the corner bodega and bought a Hot Pocket and beef jerky.

I was dressed up (at least by my standards) during all of this, BTW.

Some schmuck from Uber rolled up while I was outside stuffing my mouth with a scalding Hot Pocket to make it in time to the performance and asked if I wanted a ride and I wished I could have said, "Asshole, do I look like I need a fucking ride right now?" but I had scalding Hot Pocket in my mouth and just gave him the "fuck you" look.

Please post "fuck you" look.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #561 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »
 :comeon

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #562 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »
:comeon
This is actually what I imagined as I read your post

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #563 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Escaped client x from hell a few months ago because I said there was no way the project was going to be successful.
Luckily I was placed on project that was successful. Now a few months later guess what? Client x's project is going sideways.
Now I have to back to this dumb client and complete design. At least it's only for a week. I can handle that.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #564 on: October 24, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
to give you an idea of how bad this client is this is an actual conversation I had with them:

Me: "OK so we're going to need a stable non-changing environment to be able to validate data."
Them: "We don't have that."
me: "Just create a copy of an existing environment and give only us access. That'll work."
them: "We don't have the disk space for that."
me: "You're a hard drive company."
them: "......"
que

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #565 on: October 24, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
to give you an idea of how bad this client is this is an actual conversation I had with them:

Me: "OK so we're going to need a stable non-changing environment to be able to validate data."
me: "Just create a copy of an existing environment and give only us access. That'll work."

Off premise IT for them is something they may want to consider...jesus.
YMMV

Steve Contra

« Reply #566 on: October 24, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
My wife said "That's why you married me, to not listen to me and be sad when you didn't" when I did something really dumb she advised me against.  I still feel the ether today :stahp
vin

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #567 on: October 24, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »
There is a girl in the class that I TA that I totally want to smash and she was wearing knee highs, heeled boots, and a very very short dress today

:whew

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #568 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »

You have no idea man.
The infrastructure meeting for installs and support for this 1 application has no less than 3 directors in it, 2 VPs and 10 other people . That's right 15 people. Weekly. To discuss 1 application which isn't business critical. Holy shit.
que

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #569 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »

You have no idea man.
The infrastructure meeting for installs and support for this 1 application has no less than 3 directors in it, 2 VPs and 10 other people . That's right 15 people. Weekly. To discuss 1 application which isn't business critical. Holy shit.

I imagine Microsoft Patch Tuesdays are akin to the Korean War over there, shit.
YMMV

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #570 on: October 24, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

You have no idea man.

And CIOs think I'm crazy when they ask me what I'd do if I was in charge of their IT and I reply, "I'd demote you to a director MAYBE VP, put the COO or CFO in executive charge of IT, put everything in the cloud, and lay off most of your infrastructure and internal app development teams."
que

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #571 on: October 24, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »

You have no idea man.

And CIOs think I'm crazy when they ask me what I'd do if I was in charge of their IT and I reply, "I'd demote you to a director MAYBE VP, put the COO or CFO in executive charge of IT, put everything in the cloud, and lay off most of your infrastructure and internal app development teams."

COO/CFO should always control IT. CIO's are a fucking joke because they never really have any power anyway.

Put the money in charge, let them understand when they spend it what they will get, go a good colocation, make sure you have 2 good networking guys in house and one infrastructure guy to manage the colo, and call it a fucking day.

Mark my words, in 10 years the only people who won't be on the cloud fully are going to be hospitals, banks, and idiots.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #572 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
I had two slices of pizza with garlic for lunch but they put a fucking shit ton of garlic on them and now every vampire in a 50 mile radius dies a little when I exhale.
yar

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #573 on: October 24, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
10 years? I'd say that's the case now.
que

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #574 on: October 24, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
10 years? I'd say that's the case now.

Oh no, not even close.

I have 2 colleges, 4 fortune 500's, 3 hospitals, and a goddamn tech giant that are all like "cloud?"  :kobeyuck

Put it this way, anybody who is making tires still wants me to design their own datacenters.  Seriously, datacenters...in 2014.

I usually reply with this:

www.expedient.com

you're welcome.

If I would make a meme it would be something like this

2014: Wants a datacenter  :jawalrus
2015: Complains about cost of cooling and electrical requirements  :mindblown
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:54:19 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #575 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
My wife is mad because I did not enjoy what she attempted to cook last night.

I believe a London Broil is probably above her skill level and should not be well done.

:kobeyuck

the ultimate struggle: pretend you like it just enough that she doesn't get mad, but not enough that she feels like making it again
pcp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #576 on: October 24, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
Oh and to be very clear...cisco is the one putting it in their heads that they can manage their own clouds...which is utterly stupid. But cisco is all about maintaining market share while dumping bugged as fuck nexus switches on them for 250k+ a piece.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #577 on: October 24, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
My wife said "That's why you married me, to not listen to me and be sad when you didn't" when I did something really dumb she advised me against.  I still feel the ether today :stahp

:whew Smoked like a cigar.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #578 on: October 24, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
IT stuff goes over my head, as I've never really worked on it. But I have an interview coming up with a consulting firm that does a lot of IT projects. They say, "You don't need a tech/IT background; we hire people with all different backgrounds," but still. Gotta start researching so I don't come off completely clueless.

Tell them you hate juniper and that latency is more important than bandwidth and you'll be fine.

Read this, every other idiot CIO does.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/

YMMV

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #579 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Let me rephrase.
If you don't have a plan to get to the cloud then you're an idiot.
Sorry that's the way it is. Colleges are very reluctant, which to me I just don't understand. If there's any type of org that could really leverage the cloud colleges would be amongst the first but usually they're like "No no no! We can't do that!!"
que

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #580 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
Had to spend my lunch break helping my uncle store his car at my place. He's flying out to Arizona for the next couple months to help his girlfriend's...medical marijuana business get up and running. To make matters worse he's in the middle of a mid life crisis. I'll post a pic once I can but yea, dude was dressed like he walked off the set of The Mack.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #581 on: October 24, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
Had to spend my lunch break helping my uncle store his car at my place. He's flying out to Arizona for the next couple months to help his girlfriend's...medical marijuana business get up and running. To make matters worse he's in the middle of a mid life crisis. I'll post a pic once I can but yea, dude was dressed like he walked off the set of The Mack.

Clearly you meant to post this in the Triumph thread, rite???
yar

Kara

« Reply #582 on: October 24, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
A flunky at a big 4 bank is trying to tell me that they can't access shared drives to receive confidential documents I had uploaded for them.

That might be the case, but it might help to fucking tell me that ahead of time you fucking dipshit. Not everyone knows the specific access policies of every bank, nor should they.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #583 on: October 24, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
Still waiting on two paychecks... :goty2

Steve Contra

« Reply #584 on: October 24, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »
I'm wating for my paycheck.  From my bank.  From my work account.  That I paid to myself.  I hate my bank so bad.
vin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #585 on: October 24, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
Gotta fly to Seattle for the first week on November. I actually love Seattle but I've been working from home so much my kids are used to it and they're gonna be devastated.
 :goty2
que

Kara

« Reply #586 on: October 24, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »
This report is going to be the most disappointing thing I've produced since my first OKC profile.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry breh.
[close]

-----------------

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register. :beli

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #587 on: October 24, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
My boss wants me to prepare a report on solar PV forecasts and their methodologies.

Problem: anything you can access for free is just prognosticator-level stuff. "We predict that continuing declines in $/MW and innovative financing programs will ensure that solar continues to grow despite the phase-out of federal subsidies, etc."

If you want anything with any real meat, you have to pay, usually multiple thousands of dollars. Navigant Research, for example, charges about $4k for their solar PV forecast. At best you can get an executive summary, but there's very little about their methodology. I have no idea what kind of forecasting techniques they're using. CAISO and CPUC are the only studies I've found so far where you can get into the statistics for free.

This report is going to be the most disappointing thing I've produced since my first OKC profile.
At the very least make it look pretty.

http://www.tableausoftware.com/public/

People are willing to overlook crap reports if they look pretty.
que

Steve Contra

« Reply #588 on: October 24, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
I worked on a project where the whole design doc was the ridiculously slick powerpoint presentation.  Told you fuck all about how the game was actually supposed to play, but the execs ate that shit up.  The game was fucking terrible.
vin

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #589 on: October 24, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
I'm wating for my paycheck.  From my bank.  From my work account.  That I paid to myself.  I hate my bank so bad.

I always feel kind of weird when I pay myself along with everyone else every two weeks. Like, I'm cheating or some shit.

No checks tho, Wells Fargo has direct deposit so that shit shows up the next day.

:heh
yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #590 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »
Was at a semi mixer/info session and had a good dialog going on with a dude before realizing I didn't know his actual position. Going with a blunt "who are you again" mid convo was not my smartest use of dialog.

Crossing one program off my list

dur

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #591 on: October 24, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
My uncle as promised.
http://i.imgur.com/IGFyhg2.jpg

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #592 on: October 24, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
O NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #593 on: October 24, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
The difference between my final year of grad school experience and that of many of my classmates is pretty amazing.

- Because I'm doing a dual degree, I have to take more units/year than most. 18 this quarter, and I'll need one more 20 unit quarter, either in winter or spring.
- I'm working full-time hours every Wednesday and Friday this quarter, as my internship offer was contingent on me agreeing to work through the end of December (and the extra money helps a lot)
- I don't have a post-graduation job offer locked down yet, so I'm going to recruiting events all the time
- I have a capstone project for each major, while the single degree students have one project

Lots of classmates are taking 12 units this quarter, planning how to spend their signing bonuses from the full-time job offers they've already received, and going to happy hours all the time. That life would be great.
Reminds me of my time in college. I'd take 18-20 units per quarter, many of those would be .5 unit classes for my music major which required ridiculous amounts of work. Hell, my performance class was my freaking major and if I got a B- or below I'd be summarily kicked out that was a .5 unit class and it required 5-8 hours of practice every day.  And I worked 4am-8am every day as a custodian and taught at night. I remember my non-music major classmates sweating their 12 units, living on their parents money and worried because they had a paper due that week. I was like "Bitch, I have 4 papers due on Friday one of them a 20 page paper on the importance of latin america influences on baroque music, a music dictation test tomorrow which I'm not ready for, gotta write my thesis, I have 2 concerts to play this week, 3 the week after and then my solo recital coming up in 2 weeks." Then they'd say "LOLZ Liberal arts majors."

>:(
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #594 on: October 24, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
que

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #595 on: October 24, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
Also, Huff could have just taken him back to his place and fucked him, then looked at his driver's license after the dude was passed out.
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #596 on: October 24, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »
beat off to #gamergate tears, but couldn't cum

:fbm
duc

lennedsay

• Senior MILF