Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550859 times)

kingv

Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #2280 on: December 18, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »
I think Adam Driver does a great job in this movie too.
I've seen Adam Driver in a bunch of stuff now, before i'd usually usually go in skeptical of his involvement, but he's completely won me over as an actor and i look for his films now. Silence sealed it for me

He looks like such a bitch though. Especially in this movie.

Edit: he’s got one of those faces where he’ll probably look like a grizzled bad ass at 50 as l By as he refuses to take care of
Himself and develops a solid drug/alcohol addiction.

kingv

« Reply #2281 on: December 18, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
Ummm, not sure why all the hate for the movie. I liked it way better than Force Awakens. At the very least it surprised me more and left me with more to think about rather than just "ok, this is just a retread of every Star Wars trope from the past 30 years." Although certain things you could see coming from a mile away. It did bend over backwards trying to subvert certain expectations, I liked how Rey's parents were ordinary people and not Han and Leia or Luke like everyone thought.

This was the dumb mystery box of TFA mostly because people wouldn't shut the fuck up about it but it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the film in the least.

I've seen a lot of people say Snoke was a JJ mystery box too, which doesn't really make any more sense than saying Palpatine is a mystery box in ANH / Empire. There's some interesting Sith-y stuff they could've done to fuck with Kylo post throne room standoff but as it was Snoke just has a dumb look on his CGI monster face and falls over. Waste of time.

I was thinking about this too. ANH never really establishes why the Empire is bad, who they are, or why we should care. But I have no problem accepting it as the first movie in the series.

I think why it’s annoying in TLJ/TFA is because it’s a sequel. There was a presumed status quo where the rebels won after ROTJ. Clearly something happened where they didn’t really win. Snoke came from somewhere and the first Order rose to Power somehow. There just seems to be a big gap in the story.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2282 on: December 18, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
JJ has built his entire early career on nothing but mystery boxes, so I don't know why people thought anything in TFA was ever intended to have a payoff/explanation.

"Who are Rey's parents? Where did Snoke come from?"

Y'all realize the dude responsible for Lost is making you ask these questions, right?

:hitler
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2283 on: December 18, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
I need to see this again, because the more I've thought about it, the more I think I may like it even moreso than TFA.

My ranking:

Empire > New Hope > Force Awakens > Last Jedi > Return of the Jedi > Revenge of the Sith > Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2284 on: December 18, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
The Force Awakens is an objectively better made movie. I like The Last Jedi better.

:yeshrug
yar

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #2285 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
I read the spoilers and honestly lost all interest in seeing the movie. My takeaways were that Luke is a badass who dies for nothing, Snoke was a waste of time, Finn is pointless and Poe gets elevated but didn’t really earn in as far as character development goes.

Oh and in the end, Rey really did turn out to be a Mary Sue.

I feel like I can wait for it to come available for download.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2286 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »
The Force Awakens is an objectively better made movie. I like The Last Jedi better.

:yeshrug

Hmm, I can see that honestly. TFA is a tighter movie with a more focused narrative/character arcs. TLJ tries to do more and has more to say, it doesn't succeed in everything but it at least makes attempts.

I would say I agree with this take.
nat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2287 on: December 18, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
It's nice to see Attack of the Clones so consistently crapped on.
rub

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2288 on: December 18, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
The movie's got some problems, but the stuff that seems to have really upset people (throwing fan theories in the woodchipper) is a big part of what I actually liked in it.

agrajag

« Reply #2289 on: December 18, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
The movie's got some problems, but the stuff that seems to have really upset people (throwing fan theories in the woodchipper) is a big part of what I actually liked in it.

What was up with the master cracker twist? Benicia del Toro was great, but the other one seemed like a cool playboy type character.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2290 on: December 18, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »

I liked what they did with Luke, Rey, and Kylo. Rey not being some savior child from an anointed family is a better direction because it fits in with the theme of the film.

They did Finn a bit dirty honestly and his side of the story was underdeveloped. Finn is one of the most interesting characters. He's literally a former child slave that rebelled against his master. His confrontation with his slave master didn't have the weight it should have had. We'll see if they bring it back or if Phasma is truly gone for good.

What was up with the master cracker twist? Benicia del Toro was great, but the other one seemed like a cool playboy type character.
I honestly thought they were hinting that the girl with the playboy was the actual cracker. Then when Del Toro was revealed I thought that it would be revealed that he actually WAS the cracker but lost the lapel in a gamble... but they didn't do that either. So it's weird that they just randomly found another dude who could do the thing they flew across the galaxy to do.

That's assuming they won't save a reveal for the next movie.... or a standalone film.
nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2291 on: December 18, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
See, I must have misunderstood that part.  I took it as del Toro's character WAS the master cracker who lost all on his person to the dude wearing the red broach during a game of blackjack/some table game – including the broach/pin.  Since he had nothing else on him, he must have tried to steal and was thus imprisoned.

Perhaps I'm wrong.
püp

agrajag

« Reply #2292 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
I have a feeling they might still reveal Rey's parents to be someone important. Kylo could just be lying. The whole "let the past die" thing he was on was weird.

Freyj

« Reply #2293 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
JJ has built his entire early career on nothing but mystery boxes, so I don't know why people thought anything in TFA was ever intended to have a payoff/explanation.

Y'all realize the dude responsible for Lost is making you ask these questions, right?

I really don’t think Snoke is a JJ Mystery Box and I’ve wasted a lot of time with JJ Mystery Boxes. He’s really no different than ANH / Empire Palpatine.

I assumed the answer to “where the fuck was he between OT and ST” is the Thrawn answer. I also wish they had just done the Thrawn trilogy.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2294 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »
See, I must have misunderstood that part.  I took it as del Toro's character WAS the master cracker who lost all on his person to the dude wearing the red broach during a game of blackjack/some table game – including the broach/pin.  Since he had nothing else on him, he must have tried to steal and was thus imprisoned.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

I mean that might be the truth but they didn't really do much to imply it. It's not really a huge plot point so the fact that they didn't reveal it means to me that it isn't the case.
nat

agrajag

« Reply #2295 on: December 18, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »

Perhaps I'm wrong.

I mean that might be the truth but they didn't really do much to imply it. It's not really a huge plot point so the fact that they didn't reveal it means to me that it isn't the case.

Exactly. It's not a plot hole, just kind of bloated story telling

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2296 on: December 18, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
We need to get to the bottom of this, cause it's canon that one of these dudes fucked Moz and I want to know which one.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2297 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
They did Finn a bit dirty honestly and his side of the story was underdeveloped. Finn is one of the most interesting characters. He's literally a former child slave that rebelled against his master. His confrontation with his slave master didn't have the weight it should have had. We'll see if they bring it back or if Phasma is truly gone for good.

see, i can't put these things together.

finn was supposedly indoctrinated from a young age into a space nazi death cult, yet he's one of the most well adjusted and personable people in the films. it's like they had written this charming, sorta self serving but not really potential love interest then realised they hadn't tagged the "ex stormtrooper" box and randomly pinned it on someone who was previously a totally unrelated character.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2298 on: December 18, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
Right, his arc so far is separate from his origins. Which is kinda lame. There's a chance they might be able to reorient and give him something in the 3rd film, we'll see.
nat

kingv

« Reply #2299 on: December 18, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »

Excellent point, because Lost is a show I loved at the time but hate in retrospect, for this very reason.

Freyj

« Reply #2300 on: December 18, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
Finn was sacrificed on the altar of Rose for some reason.

Poe at the altar of Holdo, which could’ve made a decent point if he didn’t end up a war criminal and Holdo’s actions nonsensical (withholding the plan for no apparent reason and waiting until 80% of the Resistance is dead before deciding to do something useful with the big ship).

agrajag

« Reply #2301 on: December 18, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
Why did she need to stay on the ship again? Did she do anything that couldn't have been accomplished by a droid or auto pilot?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2302 on: December 18, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
We need to get to the bottom of this, cause it's canon that one of these dudes fucked Moz and I want to know which one.

Benicio would definitely fuck Moz. He looks like he has no standards and would be down for fucking something with lizard skin.
serge

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2303 on: December 18, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
They had a great chance to give Finn a cool arc where he defects, realizes the other side is just as unethical, then eventually come back around to saving his friends when they need him the most (at the end). 

I suppose they can still do that in the third movie, but they really should have played up his inner turmoil in this one.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2304 on: December 18, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »
Why did she need to stay on the ship again? Did she do anything that couldn't have been accomplished by a droid or auto pilot?

This movie is basically a WW2 movie and is operating on the logic from 1940's tech. The entire conceit that the ships are juuuussst able to stay out in front only makes sense if you're talking about actual ships and not space ships.
nat

agrajag

« Reply #2305 on: December 18, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

This movie is basically a WW2 movie and is operating on the logic from 1940's tech. The entire conceit that the ships are juuuussst able to stay out in front only makes sense if you're talking about actual ships and not space ships.

True. They also had trench warfare. But the part I pointed out is especially hard to buy when they constantly explicitly show droids piloting ships.

On another note, how did Luke die? Did he force seppuku himself?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2306 on: December 18, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »

True. They also had trench warfare. But the part I pointed out is especially hard to buy when they constantly explicitly show droids piloting ships.

On another note, how did Luke die? Did he force seppuku himself?

He became one with the force, yeah. Same as Obi-wan and Yoda.
yar

agrajag

« Reply #2307 on: December 18, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
I always thought that Yoda died of natural causes and Qui Gon and Obi Wan became force ghosts when they were struck down with a mortal blow. Wasn't sure if they could just will themselves into becoming a force ghost. Although that would make sense, since Vader hit air when he struck him, Obi Wan already vanished.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2308 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
I always thought that Yoda died of natural causes and Qui Gon and Obi Wan became force ghosts when they were struck down with a mortal blow. Wasn't sure if they could just will themselves into becoming a force ghost. Although that would make sense, since Vader hit air when he struck him, Obi Wan already vanished.

*puts on nerd hat*

If you will go back and watch their respective deaths, Obi-wan and Yoda clearly fade away to nothing- Obi-wan's robes collapse as Vader strikes him down, the covers fall down into the bed as Yoda disappears. Qui Gon does not become one with the force for whatever reason as he dies, he's impaled and falls down, clearly leaving a body behind.
yar

Freyj

« Reply #2309 on: December 18, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »

So much cleaner explanation if she immediately suicide runs the dreadnought but then Finn / Rose subplot is even more useless. Finn / Rose murder this film.

Himu

« Reply #2310 on: December 18, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »

Did they really though? I'm fine with Rey being from nothing but Snoke is just this mega powerful sith dude who came from nowhere. Like what the fuck. You could say killing Snoke without telling the audience how in the fuck he rebuilt the Empire after their loss is "throwing fan theories in the wood chipper". I just call it bad storytelling.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2311 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
The original trilogy just had the Emperor as some mega powerful sith dude and didn't explain how he'd brought about the downfall of the Republic, and I preferred it to the prequels which explained all that.

Himu

« Reply #2312 on: December 18, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
The original trilogy just had the Emperor as some mega powerful sith dude and didn't explain how he'd brought about the downfall of the Republic, and I preferred it to the prequels which explained all that.

Come the fuck on.

That was thirty years ago. You can suspend your belief with the Emperor. It doesn't really matter. He's the dude that seduced Anakin to the dark side. That's what matters. You can get some bits and pieces and that's fine. But these were the original films. There is no precedent because they were the first to do it.

So you've got the rebels win. Establish a new republic. Now you make a sequel. The stakes and expectations are now different. If you're making a fucking sequel you explain exactly how all this shit went down. Otherwise it's just a massive gap. You can convince yourself that "the emperor isn't developed too much either" and that's true, but Snoke came from the ether after the rebels won, managed to build such a crazy ass super weapon without anyone knowing. Where did he come from? How did the republic lose its power? These are viable questions given that it's a sequel. Instead, we get some stupid video game answer. Fucking Mega Man shit. DR WILEY IS BACK AND THE LOOSE AGAIN!!!:drudge bullshit and you're supposed to take it seriously as a viable answer because "you don't know anything about the emperor either!"

I think it's bad storytelling. You make a sequel to one of the most popular series of all time, you give every single detail as to what the fuck happened in the shortest manner possible.

It's like they took the politics criticism of the prequels to the absolute extreme and decided to under develop everything and expect you to go along with it.

Also it's funny. The people who defend the under developed character of Snoke as "it's the same as the emperor!" are the same people throwing rocks at people and saying we don't like TLJ or whatever because "it's not like the original trilogy."

The entire thing is a massive fucking cop out. And unlike the Emperor, who seduced Anakin to the dark side, it's revealed that it's fucking Luke who pushes Kylo to the dark side! Therefore, WHAT IN THE ENTIRE HELL IS THE POINT OF SNOKE???

:beli
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2313 on: December 18, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
That said, I don't completely blame Rian. He apparently walked in on day one with NOTHING on the board for future sequels.

Disney and Lucasfilm actually took this series and did not make the sequel trilogy with a layout and JJ didn't make a fucking sketch for the overall arc of the new trilogy. They completely threw out George Lucas' plans. They are literally making it up as they go along. They're just winging it. Yet they want you to buy tickets for episode 9.

:sabu

Again, I agree with Luke. Just kill Star Wars.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2314 on: December 18, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
yikes... honestly discussing shit with you is like trying to reason with a firehose  :lol
nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2315 on: December 18, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
good lord
püp

Himu

« Reply #2316 on: December 18, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
:lol Try me.
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2317 on: December 18, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
kinda feel bad for starting the shit talking now
rub

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2318 on: December 18, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »

Never trust a droid to do a [wo]man's job.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2319 on: December 18, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
Calling it now: Cindy will be positive on this movie by the time 9 rolls out

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2320 on: December 18, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
Come the fuck on.

That was thirty years ago. You can suspend your belief with the Emperor. It doesn't really matter. He's the dude that seduced Anakin to the dark side. That's what matters. You can get some bits and pieces and that's fine. But these were the original films. There is no precedent because they were the first to do it.

So you've got the rebels win. Establish a new republic. Now you make a sequel. The stakes and expectations are now different. If you're making a fucking sequel you explain exactly how all this shit went down. Otherwise it's just a massive gap. You can convince yourself that "the emperor isn't developed too much either" and that's true, but Snoke came from the ether after the rebels won, managed to build such a crazy ass super weapon without anyone knowing. Where did he come from? How did the republic lose its power? These are viable questions given that it's a sequel. Instead, we get some stupid video game answer. Fucking Mega Man shit. DR WILEY IS BACK AND THE LOOSE AGAIN!!!:drudge bullshit and you're supposed to take it seriously as a viable answer because "you don't know anything about the emperor either!"

I think it's bad storytelling. You make a sequel to one of the most popular series of all time, you give every single detail as to what the fuck happened in the shortest manner possible.

It's like they took the politics criticism of the prequels to the absolute extreme and decided to under develop everything and expect you to go along with it.

Also it's funny. The people who defend the under developed character of Snoke as "it's the same as the emperor!" are the same people throwing rocks at people and saying we don't like TLJ or whatever because "it's not like the original trilogy."

The entire thing is a massive fucking cop out. And unlike the Emperor, who seduced Anakin to the dark side, it's revealed that it's fucking Luke who pushes Kylo to the dark side! Therefore, WHAT IN THE ENTIRE HELL IS THE POINT OF SNOKE???

nah still don't care

TVC15

« Reply #2321 on: December 18, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »

That worked for the OT, way back when we didn’t know anything about this universe, but a Snoke with no backstory doesn’t fly now that all the details of the past 50 years of the Star Wars universe’s history have been filled in.
serge

Himu

« Reply #2322 on: December 18, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Calling it now: Cindy will be positive on this movie by the time 9 rolls out

Ah right. "I don't have any real rebuttals so I'm just going to go with low hanging fruit and make a joke about this person on their expense" typical fan thing defense.

What do you wanna bet I feel the same way? Of course, that's assuming I'm alive when Ep 9 is released, which I don't plan on seeing.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2323 on: December 18, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
You = worked up.

Me = just liked the movie, don’t care you didn’t

You seem out to prove the movie is objectively bad, that doesn’t mean everyone who disagrees with you thinks it’s objectively good.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2324 on: December 18, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
Snoke should have had some kind of a context before being killed off. If they try to do it in 9, it'll be a lame attempt to contextualize him.

Doesn't make the movie bad.
nat

Himu

« Reply #2325 on: December 18, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
Snoke should have had some kind of a context before being killed off. If they try to do it in 9, it'll be a lame attempt to contextualize him.

Doesn't make the movie bad.

It's just one of many reasons it's bad.

You = worked up.

Me = just liked the movie, don’t care you didn’t

You seem out to prove the movie is objectively bad, that doesn’t mean everyone who disagrees with you thinks it’s objectively good.

I just haven't seen any compelling reason why people think it's objectively good.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2326 on: December 18, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
Well that’s because trying to prove a movie objectively good or bad is majorly pointless. I enjoyed the experience of viewing the movie, it was subjectively good to me 🤷‍♀️

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2327 on: December 18, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

I just haven't seen any compelling reason why people think it's objectively good.

I don't know why you feel the need the stomp in here and grab everyone by the collar screaming JUSTIFY YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THING.

I rather liked the movie - I've talked about a few of the reasons. I've also talked about some of the things I didn't like about it. Why this is being approached as if you're either for or against is kinda lame tbh. Don't gotta be so aggressive about this.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2328 on: December 18, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
This movie has one of the very few times a CGI *moment* actually wowed me - with the hyperspace kamikaze. Pretty much everything about that moment was awe-inspiring.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2329 on: December 18, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
And I think the greatest strength of this movie is that it managed to bring Yoda back and not completely fuck it up. In fact it ended up being one of the best scenes in the movie. I almost cringed at first because it kinda sort looked CGI? I think my brain expected it to be CGI. Then I realized it was a puppet and Yoda started being the Yoda we remember from the OT and I settled in. Its weird to say buy the chemistry and report between Luke and Yoda was on point.
nat

Himu

« Reply #2330 on: December 18, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »
Whatever.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2331 on: December 18, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
That worked for the OT, way back when we didn’t know anything about this universe, but a Snoke with no backstory doesn’t fly now that all the details of the past 50 years of the Star Wars universe’s history have been filled in.

Do you think it would have actually improved the movie to spend time on his biography? Unless the details of his rise to power would be relevant to the movie's story, might as well let the EU flesh it out in a graphic novel or whatever.

agrajag

« Reply #2332 on: December 18, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »

Do you think it would have actually improved the movie to spend time on his biography? Unless the details of his rise to power would be relevant to the movie's story, might as well let the EU flesh it out in a graphic novel or whatever.

That's always been the Star Wars way .

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2333 on: December 18, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »

Fuck you, Gordon
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2334 on: December 18, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »

TVC15

« Reply #2335 on: December 18, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »

They could’ve found 5 minutes (or less) to cram something vague in there. I needed something because idgaf about the EU.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #2336 on: December 18, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Apparently they cut out a ton to cram it down to 2.5 hours, so finding that 5 mins to do so was probably harder than it seems.

Then again, I don’t care at all. Dude was less interesting than Jar Jar Binks. Lame generic copy of OT evil emperor.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2337 on: December 18, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
I'm interested in seeing if they do some kind of extended cut with some of that put back in.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2338 on: December 18, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »
An extended cut? They should have cut the fat from the Finn storyline. The fact they thought that was more important than filling out details on Snoke and other characterization makes no sense. An extended cut would is the last thing the movie needs.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2339 on: December 18, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
Regarding some of the stuff we talked about earlier regarding Lucas' original vision for Star Wars and its ties to Flash Gordon and serials, a few years back Dark Horse took one of the early (1974) drafts of "The Star Wars" script and drew an eight issue comic out of it:

THE STAR WARS
Until the recent GREAT REBELLION, the JEDI-BENDU were
the most feared warriors in the universe. For one hundred thousand
years, generations of JEDI perfected their art as the personal
bodyguards of the Emperor. They were the chief architects of the
invincible IMPERIAL SPACE FORCE, which expanded the EMPIRE
across the galaxy, from the celestial equator to the farthest
reaches of the GREAT RIFT.

Now these legendary warriors are all but extinct. One by one
they have been hunted down and destroyed as enemies of the
NEW EMPIRE by a ferocious and sinister rival warrior sect,
THE KNIGHTS OF SITH.

The basic scope of the plot beats after the first chapter (which is set in the time Rogue One wound up being in) are almost all there, especially every action-adventure set piece. Droids crash on a "wastes" planet with secret royal data, "Luke" and "Annikin" who happen to live there and be Jedi or Jedi-related/adjacent rescue them and then head to a spaceport where they meet Han Solo, Leia gets captured in the MOON LIKE Space Fortress that they have to break into, Luke flies some fighters to blow up the MOON LIKE Space Fortress, etc. But all the characterization, the lore, etc. is entirely different. Darth Vader winds up not fighting anyone because the real Obi-Wan equivalent dies earlier in the story, Han Solo isn't human, they pick up Chewbacca as an ally during their planet hopping rather than him being on the "Falcon" as Han's buddy, all of the Force stuff is totally different other than lightsabers (though they might be called laser swords or something), etc. but a lot of the alterations are because we're comparing 40 years of franchise history to a 1974 script written while Lucas was still trying to acquire the Flash Gordon rights. Actually, some of that stuff like the lightsabers or how the ships are drawn may just be the artists reflecting the Star Wars we did get more than what Lucas envisioned back then. I think in the deluxe hardcover they talk about when the script wasn't clear on things they sided with the actual films (or earlier versions like the human Jabba) rather than make things entirely unfamiliar. Like all the rebel ships for the attack on the MOON LIKE Space Fortress are just straight up regular ones from the films.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The funny thing about Lucas allowing it to be done was that it finally put a confirmed by himself lie to his entire claims back in the 70s and 80s about always having a nine part or twelve part film series, and Anakin being Luke and Leia's father, etc. :doge

Starkiller and Skywalker are two separate characters, actually three at the start, Lucas jumbled them up so as to reduce one character from the script and renamed Starkiller to Skywalker. Luke and Leia are definitely never hinted at being related, nor Annikin and Leia. Hell, they don't even meet until the end award ceremony scene.

Had he not trimmed the script, and I read this before about other later versions, it probably would have taken two films to tell this version of The Star Wars. Then he slashed it up after doing American Graffiti and realizing how much useless fat there was.
[close]