Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556765 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #2100 on: December 16, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
ESB remains the one closest to what the entire series was originally supposed to be an homage to, scifi serial cliffhangers of the 1930s and 1940s.
sup

Himu

« Reply #2101 on: December 16, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2102 on: December 16, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »
Honestly, walking out, I don’t even see how this was divisive. It was just another SW movie.

Because nerds got their feels hurt that the characters and story beats weren't exactly as they planned in their head and now they're doing a Simpson comic book guy impersonation.

There is some legit criticism but this movie can hang with the OT and Empire; I think it's even better.

Don't come here with that reset era 20-something faggotry. Talking about people with whatever expectations. Nah. Movie has terrible and baffling storytelling decisions.
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2103 on: December 16, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
This new series? Wasted opportunity, and gives off the distinct impression of a deliberate and pointlessly petty exercise in tearing down the old characters in an effort to make the new ones look better. I'm no big Star Wars fan, even though I was the prime target age during the OT ( was way more of a superhero comics and monster/horror movie fan). I can still pick up on it, though, this sort of underlying "Those original people are old and busted trash, these new guys are where it's at" message. But they're not. They're all blank cyphers, just as wooden and lifeless as any of the prequel characters.  I enjoyed the original movies for the goofy adventure series they were. Everything since has been an attempt to make "films of importance," when they'd really be much better off accepting that it's all just nonsensical pop filth and running with it. The biggest problem with Star Wars is that it's always been a patchwork of constant retcons in an attempt to build some sort of foundation to a meaningful universe, when the source film was nothing more than "I think it would be pretty cool to remake The Hidden Fortress but with Flash Gordon characters." It was clearly never intended to be more than one movie with a distinct ending, not some endless movie franchise.
sup

Himu

« Reply #2104 on: December 16, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
The new series is just a cash grab. These movies - sans TFA - have zero heart and aren't any different from any other modern family film. They aren't Star Wars.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2105 on: December 16, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
I really don’t agree, I really loved the last few star wars movies  :'(
püp

Himu

« Reply #2106 on: December 16, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »
Whether you liked them or not, here's a scene with two characters riding a horse through glass. Like every family adventure movie! Here's out of place jokes, like every family movie! Some alien putting coins in BB-8 and and BB-8 conveniently uses them as an automatic weapon! Just like my favorite family adventure movies!

The tone is not Star Wars.

Actually, scratch that. It is. The tone is akin to prequel Star Wars.
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2107 on: December 16, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
I mean, that's cool, dude. I'm not trying to dog out anyone who enjoys them, even if I can't understand why.
sup

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2108 on: December 16, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
Wow, look at all these goddang spoilers.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2109 on: December 16, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
This new series? Wasted opportunity, and gives off the distinct impression of a deliberate and pointlessly petty exercise in tearing down the old characters in an effort to make the new ones look better.

It's weird, cause I got the opposite feeling: that they were leaning into the hero worship aspect for the old folks.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2110 on: December 16, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
Luke - hermit fuckup who's mostly responsible for the creation of Darth Tantrum. Han - colossal failure as a husband and father, still trying to play the rogue at an advanced age. Leia - buries her motherly grief by being a workaholic, apparently has no control over her underlings. I'm not seeing the hero worship.
sup

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2111 on: December 16, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
Mostly the way they had the younger characters react to them. "You're the Han Solo?" etc. Also felt like a way to get the audience to relate to the new characters by having them act like fans.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2112 on: December 16, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »
I can see that, sure. But then they give them nothing to look up to :lol
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2113 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »
I’d be alright if Rose was just never mentioned again. I’m left with no reason to care about that character and plenty of reason to not want her dragging other characters into boring misadventures.

Hopefully what she did rendered her the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Terri Schiavo of the Star Wars Universe

We're gonna have a Finn arc where he's fighting his own personal war... to keep the medically assisted life support going. Still more interesting than what we've gotten from him so far
[close]
:9

Trurl

« Reply #2114 on: December 16, 2017, 11:40:19 AM »
I was thoroughly entertained the whole time but afterwards I just want to complain. What's wrong with me?

The scene with the children at the end was great on some levels, but viewed with even the tiniest bit of cynicism it also felt gross. It was as if Disney was saying that you can expect great things from your children if you steep them in Starwars.

Was that beast that Luke milked a metaphor for the franchise?

What was with Snoke talking about destroying an island?  This is Star Wars where we deal in planets.  It reminded me of Dr. Evil demanding a million dollars in the first Austin Powers.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2115 on: December 16, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
Han and Luke both got similar arcs: they're grizzled old dudes who left the fight when shit went bad and they couldn't handle it emotionally, but deep down they care enough to get pulled back in and have one final moment of doing something badass again. Which might be a bit cliche (it's like half of Humphrey Bogart's roles now I think of it) but it's not a bad way to handle iconic senior citizens in an action movie.

I didn't hate this one, but it feels like they're trying to do a bunch of incompatible stuff. Like Eel and benji said, they're trying to string out a longer narrative and do world-building on what was a self-contained romp that was never meant to support all this.

« Reply #2116 on: December 16, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
Honestly, walking out, I don’t even see how this was divisive. It was just another SW movie.

Because nerds got their feels hurt that the characters and story beats weren't exactly as they planned in their head and now they're doing a Simpson comic book guy impersonation.

There is some legit criticism but this movie can hang with the OT and Empire; I think it's even better.

Whether you liked them or not, here's a scene with two characters riding a horse through glass. Like every family adventure movie! Here's out of place jokes, like every family movie! Some alien putting coins in BB-8 and and BB-8 conveniently uses them as an automatic weapon! Just like my favorite family adventure movies!

Don't come here with that reset era 20-something faggotry. Talking about people with whatever expectations. Nah. Movie has terrible and baffling storytelling decisions.

Someone is getting hit with dem nostalgia glasses.

ESB is full of humor, and what baffling plot decisions do you speak of? That Rian had the audacity to do something new and interesting with the story?

Himu

« Reply #2117 on: December 16, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »

Someone is getting hit with dem nostalgia glasses.

ESB is full of humor, and what baffling plot decisions do you speak of? That Rian had the audacity to do something new and interesting with the story?

Good lord.
IYKYK

Trurl

« Reply #2118 on: December 16, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
" Wouldn’t want to get into details or spoilers about Blade Runner 2049 here, but there’s something to be said about how Snoke is (or isn’t) fleshed out compared with Niander Wallace. Both evoking characters from the older films."

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2204767/

This is an interesting comparison.

Trurl

« Reply #2119 on: December 16, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
This trilogy needs more romance.  They laid some groundwork with Finn and Poe in TFA but now it's nothing. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2120 on: December 16, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
This franchise sucks.

Himu

« Reply #2121 on: December 16, 2017, 02:06:35 PM »
Cindi, have you ever considered taking a week off from the internet  :doge

Highly considering it.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2122 on: December 16, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
damn, I don't think I've ever encountered such a divide between critics and fans.

I kinda love it.

Critics are being paid, fans aren't  :doge

will watch in late January or February, like a Real Adult.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2123 on: December 16, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »
damn, I don't think I've ever encountered such a divide between critics and fans.

I kinda love it.

Critics are being paid, fans aren't  :doge

I guess...
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2124 on: December 16, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »

:badass
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2125 on: December 16, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
I got TFA spoiled within like a couple days of it's release. So far I haven't run into anything. Then again I also haven't played a lot of multiplayer games recently; TFA was spoiled in chat while I played Wolfenstein ET.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2126 on: December 16, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
I just want one spoiler: is Rey a Skywalker or related to Obi Wan? Tired of that shit.

Trurl

« Reply #2127 on: December 16, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »
The movie ends in cliffhanger as we all wait on the results of a paternity test

Himu

« Reply #2128 on: December 16, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
I just want one spoiler: is Rey a Skywalker or related to Obi Wan? Tired of that shit.

Nope. She's a nobody.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2129 on: December 16, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
she's a hut

Himu

« Reply #2130 on: December 16, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »

It really isn't.

Perfect post at Reset.

this movie proves once and for all that star wars has no established tone or style and means pretty much nothing so you can have a big weird mix of battlestar galactica, the fifth element, the expanse, and anime, and as long as it has the star wars ships, weapons and characters, literally anything can happen because there is no story to derail and people will cheer when they see the lightsaber

Another reason Trek > Wars
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2131 on: December 16, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
When are they going to make Jedi Knight 4?

Kyle Katarn > Luke Skywalker
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2132 on: December 16, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »

Intergalactic dumpster baby
:9

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2133 on: December 16, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
Saw it. Loved it. :rejoice

« Reply #2134 on: December 16, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
read the spoilers and am like.... eh? I ill see it in a month.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2135 on: December 16, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »
This franchise sucks.

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast is the only good thing to come from the series.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2136 on: December 16, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
Snoak killed dumbledoor
dur

Bebpo

« Reply #2137 on: December 16, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
Thought it was the best Star Wars film since Empire, was hoping it'd be a little more artsy and fuck you mainstream Star Wars audience since it was Johnson and I heard the general audience score was down while critic score was up, but all he added was a bit more grey area depth which I expect Abrams to completely throw out again for Ep9.

Best parts were all the Rey/Ren scenes.

Only thing it was missing was Finn doing some force stuff, since he used the lightsaber in the last one which sorta hinted he was gonna become a force user by the end of the trilogy as well, which would be cool.
[close]

But I'm not a big SW fan or anything. Movie was about a B+ to me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2138 on: December 16, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
Saw it tonight and...enjoyed it.  I'm not a big Star Wars fan and I liked some of the humorous dialogue that was thrown in (the beginning with Poe and the First Order General  :lol :rofl) and character development.  The Jedi stuff was by far the weakest part of the movie and I liked all the scenes with everyone else way, way more.  I expect that a lot of Star Wars fanboys will probably hate a lot of the stuff in this film, but I was glad to see some things play out unexpectedly and I hope this really leads to things changing up in the next movie.

This movie also really did feel like two films mashed together.  Was surprised how much longer it kept going towards the end.  There were several points where it could have ended and things would have been fine...and it going.  And going.  And going.  :lol

Spoiler talk:
I don't get killing Snoke off (plus he went out like a bitch after demonstrating such insane power), but the way this movie played out versus TFA makes me think that someone really decided to change the story up and go in a different direction.
[close]

The new series is just a cash grab.

So just like the other movies?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2139 on: December 16, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
The other movies at least had passion in them.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2140 on: December 16, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
The other movies at least had passion in them.

The Force Awakens, Rogue One, And The Last Jedi shit all over the prequel trilogy in every way possible.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2141 on: December 16, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »
Rogue One and especially Last Jedi were prequel status to me. At least George was passionate about inserting weird world building.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2142 on: December 16, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Rogue One and especially Last Jedi were prequel status to me. At least George was passionate about inserting weird world building.

George was passionate about merchandising and making as much money as he possibly could from that shit.  It was all about the toys and stuff...come on.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2143 on: December 16, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
They have a Star Wars movie every year the next four years. :beli George was a slut for merchandising but not the way Disney is. I'm not sure how that's debatable.
IYKYK

« Reply #2144 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

It really isn't.

Perfect post at Reset.

this movie proves once and for all that star wars has no established tone or style and means pretty much nothing so you can have a big weird mix of battlestar galactica, the fifth element, the expanse, and anime, and as long as it has the star wars ships, weapons and characters, literally anything can happen because there is no story to derail and people will cheer when they see the lightsaber

So exactly as I said...they did something you didn't like so therefor it's bad. Believe it or not just saying other sci-fi series without realizing what actually makes them what they are (hint, it's story, characters and settings; not stupid things like "tone" and "feels") :doge

You're welcome to say you don't like it but you gonna be hyperbolic and dramatic be prepared for counter snark.  :ufup

« Reply #2145 on: December 16, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »

Yeah, you're one of those "fans".

Comparing dumpster fires with bad direction, wooden acting and terrible storytelling to movies with actual thought and naunce.

Except Rogue One. That's just a war film; but a damn good one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2146 on: December 16, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »
They have a Star Wars movie every year the next four years. :beli George was a slut for merchandising but not the way Disney is. I'm not sure how that's debatable.

Oh, no doubt about it.  Plus you have ads for Disney Star Wars cruises and shit before the movie even starts.  But the level of quality on these movies, so far, has been much better than the dreck Lucas shat out with that previous set of movies.  So that's OK with me.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2147 on: December 16, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »

It really isn't.

Perfect post at Reset.

So exactly as I said...they did something you didn't like so therefor it's bad. Believe it or not just saying other sci-fi series without realizing what actually makes them what they are (hint, it's story, characters and settings; not stupid things like "tone" and "feels") :doge

You're welcome to say you don't like it but you gonna be hyperbolic and dramatic be prepared for counter snark.  :ufup

You're acting like a complete and utter taco and should probably head back to Reset. The thing they did "I didn't want" was make a bad movie.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2148 on: December 16, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »

Oh, no doubt about it.  Plus you have ads for Disney Star Wars cruises and shit before the movie even starts.  But the level of quality on these movies, so far, has been much better than the dreck Lucas shat out with that previous set of movies.  So that's OK with me.

I think Rogue One and Last Jedi are definitely on par with the prequels. Last Jedi especially shares the same problems I have with the prequels and the Finn/Rose storyline was as bad as anything from Jar Jar.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2149 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
Forgot to mention the theater.  It was almost full and there were a lot of kids.  I saw one 40-50 something year old guy in Jedi cosplay and there was one guy -one sole audience member- who was clapping at stuff.  It was so awkward.  :lol
ど助平

« Reply #2150 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »
They have a Star Wars movie every year the next four years. :beli (Image removed from quote.) but not the way Disney is. I'm not sure how that's debatable.

Cindi c'mon.

He was worse.

:dayum

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2151 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
the Finn/Rose storyline was as bad as anything from Jar Jar.

You've got to be kidding me here.  :lol :rofl
ど助平

« Reply #2152 on: December 16, 2017, 08:49:12 PM »

It really isn't.

Perfect post at Reset.

You're acting like a complete and utter taco and should probably head back to Reset. The thing they did "I didn't want" was make a bad movie.

The Prequels were 2/3 bad movies (RotS is redeemable.)

The New Trilogy are not objectively bad movies. You just don't like them yourself.

« Reply #2153 on: December 16, 2017, 08:49:58 PM »

I think Rogue One and Last Jedi are definitely on par with the prequels. Last Jedi especially shares the same problems I have with the prequels and the Finn/Rose storyline was as bad as anything from Jar Jar.

:gurl :comeon :umad :picard

Himu

« Reply #2154 on: December 16, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
"Not objectively bad movies"

Last Jedi has the smallest universe of a sci fi movie I've ever seen. Trying to make them run out of fuel. Riveting entertainment.
IYKYK

« Reply #2155 on: December 16, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »
"Not objectively bad movies"

Last Jedi has the smallest universe of a sci fi movie I've ever seen. Trying to make them run out of fuel. Riveting entertainment.

It makes sense from a narrative standpoint.

The First Order knew their base; why wouldn't they attack immediately? Thus they have to messily evac and leave stuff behind.

Nothing in TLJ is objectively bad besides Admiral "I'm not telling you desperate souls a thing" Holdo single handily causing the epic fail of the rest of the rebel cast.

« Reply #2156 on: December 16, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
Cindi, remember when we talked about taking a break from the internet earlier?

I think some OT fans need to take a break.

People around the net have been losing their minds over silly shit. I can't take people serious when they try to argue the new trilogy is on par with "Jar Jar" and "MY LOVE FOR YOU IS A WATERFALL" or my favorite "LETS TALK POLITICS IN A FICTIONAL UNIVERSE FOR HOURS"

You are welcome to not like them by all means. But don't try to be disingenuous and seriously argue they are critically equal to the prequels.

etiolate

« Reply #2157 on: December 16, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
I saw it and ended up liking it. Perhaps all the mixed reviews gave me lower expectations. 

My initial criticisms:

Length made the movie drag. Could have been cut down or split up.
I thought the Yoda scene was cringe worthy bad. Other needless fan service drew me out of the fiction. Hoth 2.0 with artsy color play was a bit much. Felt like an excuse for visuals rather than a true part of the universe.
Rose/Finn story? That love story didn't even exist until that crazy eskimo bitch dropped the bomb on him. Finn's intended sacrifice didn't make sense either.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #2158 on: December 16, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »
the Finn/Rose storyline was as bad as anything from Jar Jar.

You've got to be kidding me here.  :lol :rofl

No I am not.

I would respect the opinion of people who like the movie if they wouldn't reduce people's problems with it as something to do with expectations or we didn't get _____ out of it. I have said why I think it's shit and I'm tired of people assuming my motives or putting words in my mouth and saying shit about expectations which makes them sound distinguished mentally-challenged shills.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:04:32 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2159 on: December 16, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
Cindi, remember when we talked about taking a break from the internet earlier?

I think some OT fans need to take a break.

People around the net have been losing their minds over silly shit. I can't take people serious when they try to argue the new trilogy is on par with "Jar Jar" and "MY LOVE FOR YOU IS A WATERFALL" or my favorite "LETS TALK POLITICS IN A FICTIONAL UNIVERSE FOR HOURS"

You are welcome to not like them by all means. But don't try to be disingenuous and seriously argue they are critically equal to the prequels.

I can say what I want. You haven't even asked why I personally think it's on par with the prequels. Because you don't care. Please go back to Reset or whatever hole you came from.
IYKYK