Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556428 times)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5340 on: February 12, 2021, 02:49:57 AM »
She was getting away with saying bigoted vile stuff for months, but she says anti-Semitic crap and she’s gone the next day  :thinking

:kermit

:society
Margs

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5341 on: February 12, 2021, 03:17:31 AM »
This is probably one reason you guys aren't allowed in the Taco Bell.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5342 on: February 12, 2021, 03:48:02 AM »
I was allowed in and said no thanks  ::)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5343 on: February 12, 2021, 04:17:25 AM »
It's a big hoopla over nothing. Since when do we look at actors as a moral compass. Let's face it, most of them aren't that bright and just repeat the cookie cutter opinion or take of one side or the other. Her take being herp derp this is just like the holocaust. Ken Levine is right firing her changes nothing.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5344 on: February 12, 2021, 07:05:05 AM »
I missed it, but they cancelled Gina Carano.

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1359751520963747844

Let's see - she publicly professed herself as pro-Trump, anti-democracy, anti-vaccination, anti-mask, and stopped short of TERF territory but balked at using people's preferred pronouns. This is just… consequences.
Nah, this is just usual collective back patting.
Why are Disney so angry about Holocaust comparisons, when they sucked China's dick while shooting Mulan where they had literal, ongoing, concentration camps trying to genocide an ethnic group?

Gina Carano is a cunt, so no love lost, but this is, as usual, pathetic people on the Internet pretending the evil is defeated, while giving more and more power to it.

Bad Tweets > Actual genocide, as long as you get cheap labour and get to act as the hero all the same.  :lol

BIONIC

« Reply #5345 on: February 12, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »
To summarize:  :curious
Margs

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5346 on: February 12, 2021, 09:17:40 AM »
I missed it, but they cancelled Gina Carano.

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1359751520963747844

Let's see - she publicly professed herself as pro-Trump, anti-democracy, anti-vaccination, anti-mask, and stopped short of TERF territory but balked at using people's preferred pronouns. This is just… consequences.
Nah, this is just usual collective back patting.
Why are Disney so angry about Holocaust comparisons, when they sucked China's dick while shooting Mulan where they had literal, ongoing, concentration camps trying to genocide an ethnic group?

Gina Carano is a cunt, so no love lost, but this is, as usual, pathetic people on the Internet pretending the evil is defeated, while giving more and more power to it.

Bad Tweets > Actual genocide, as long as you get cheap labour and get to act as the hero all the same.  :lol

You can think hey fuck Disney and also hey fuck Gina good they fired her at the same time. Nothing is stopping you from doing that.
I am doing that, i don't give a shit about her, and just called her a cunt?

But i mean nerds have become the emblem of the idea of consumer as domesticated cattle.
I don't see a story like this as any kind of triumph, and there's people literally thanking disney on social media, to me it's absolutely a grotesque display.
And actions like this do nothing more than further create the illusion of these toy makers as benevolent forces, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Makes me want to eat the wrong side of a gun, for real.

Again, just in case it isn't clear, not because this moron was (understandably) fired, but because of the surrounding context.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5347 on: February 12, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
if you want a squeaky clean actor whos not gonna show you up with crazy facebook posts, why would you hie an mma fighter in the first place :snob
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5348 on: February 12, 2021, 09:51:05 AM »
where she fucked up, was in not making the more apt comparison between cancel culture and McCarthyism.

Even so, I find it hard to believe in peoples genuine offence at a "you guys are being total nazis about this" comment, or to see that as an expression of antisemitism.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5349 on: February 12, 2021, 09:57:42 AM »
If this situation makes you want to eat a gun, maybe you should :yeshrug
I know, but atm i have people that depend on me to survive.

I could let them go homeless though, could get a free Disney+ subscription out of it, with a pitiful enough Insta Story. :thinking

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5350 on: February 12, 2021, 10:57:46 AM »

unironically recommend that other bore members commit suicide  ???
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #5351 on: February 12, 2021, 11:07:04 AM »
Cancel culture be like

« Reply #5352 on: February 12, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
I'm just wondering where the hell cancel culture was when the idiot Jenny McCarthy was claiming she cured her child with voodoo and then promoted anti-vaccination nonsense across multiple platforms and for goddamn years.

It's embarrassing we -- and by we I mean you -- care so deeply about what celebrities think and say. If we simply learned to dismiss them except as someone who's good at dunking a basketball or making funny faces, etc., we wouldn't ever have to harp on whether they should be canceled.

Meanwhile, Mandalorian could use more original ideas and characters instead of dredging up miscellanea from KOTOR, the cartoons, and the movies. It could actually have put Cara Dune (sp?) to good use. But she's a doofus in real life, so she should never act again.

EDIT: Mandalorian.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:45:25 AM by Sideshow Raheem »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5353 on: February 12, 2021, 11:59:40 AM »

unironically recommend that other bore members commit suicide  ???

:yeshrug if someone is that riled up over Disney/Gina Carano, it's likely their lives are absolutely miserable anyway so :yeshrug
C'mon son, i told you twice it wasn't about Gina Carano, you're being dense on purpose?  ::)
I'm riled up by mega companies becoming more and more like government and religious institutions, all in one.  :fbm

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's all good though, i didn't take offense, it's internet shittalk.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5354 on: February 12, 2021, 12:11:47 PM »
Truth, Disney would run America better than the government at this point.

thetylerrob

« Reply #5355 on: February 12, 2021, 12:18:56 PM »
That gun is looking tastier and tastier... :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5356 on: February 12, 2021, 12:19:14 PM »
Truth, Disney would run America better than the government at this point.
Which Phase is that?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5357 on: February 12, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
The thing is, if you embarrass your employer in public, it makes 100% sense for them to fire you.

Regardless of what you did or said.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5358 on: February 12, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »
I dunno, I mean half the movies in the top 20 IMDB list probably starred problematic people.
Just to name a few things with all these big films.

The Godfather - Marlon Brando was always a controversial character
The Godfather: Part II  - Robert Duvall is a hardcore Trumper
The Dark Knight - Michael Caine famously said "you can't vote for an actor just because he's black"
Schindler's List - Liam Neeson wanted to beat up some random black people in the streets at night
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Sean Bean was arrested for throwing a glass at his wife
Pulp Fiction - John Travolta never was the same after his son died and was a cray scientologist even before that
Fight Club - Brad Pitt had an agressive drinking problem so Angelina GTFO

Disney's big fluffy star Robert Downey Jr. was literally pulled out the dumpster by Mel Gibson, who was cancelled before cancel culture existed.

Gina Carano's TikTok is somewhere at the bottom of 'offenses' commited by actors under contract or once under contract at Disney.
So I'm not really sure what their goal is. I would focus on shielding their talent and prevent them to mingle openly in the public debate.
Hell, those sick fucks in Hollywood still cheer on Woody Allen and Roman Polanski whenever they get the chance.
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #5359 on: February 12, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »
https://deadline.com/2021/02/gina-carano-mandalorian-ben-shapiro-hits-back-cancel-culture-1234692971/

Gina Carano Hits Back, Announces New Movie Project With Ben Shapiro’s Daily Wire: “They Can’t Cancel Us If We Don’t Let Them”

No one could have predicted this  :teehee
Margs

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5360 on: February 12, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
Say what you will about the turds at reeeeeeee but the edgelord presence here is getting kinda gross

"Oh sure she's borderline rewriting the holocaust and is basically a q anon supporter but the real crime here is a private enterprise deciding who can work for it in a way that seems woke"
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5361 on: February 12, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »
Apparently calling her a cunt, a moron and outright saying she was rightfully fired for her shit, isn't enough to make my point clear. 
If it weren't Human Snorenado i'd be worried.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5362 on: February 12, 2021, 06:06:15 PM »
I really only have one question for the starwars thread and that's why do you support fascism Rumata?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5363 on: February 12, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »
Disney: "This lady has said bad things about the covid"  :hmph
Meanwhile they pushed reopening their parks during the height of the pandemic.

Guess who went straight to streaming and didn't have to fire any of his actors for awful behaviour?
That's right, Zack Snyder

They taped 2 seasons of a TV show with this lady and now they pretend they didn't know she was messed up?  ::)
The company named after and founded by a fascist, anti-semitic, anti-labor union conservative that sold out his own staff to McCarthy fires an actor for saying bad things about the holocaust.
If Disney was serious about this stuff they would've changed their name ages ago but they haven't because they're a bunch of hypocrites. Always have been, always will be.

Disney's show lost a popular character and the actor went further down the rabbit hole. I don't think there are any winners here. 
I dunno, ban her from TikTok and send her to the company shrink. Cancelling seems like the easy way out for the mouse for casting an anti-semite in their popular TV show which is still streaming by the way. Because it is not ok to employ her but is ok to make money from her performance  :yeshrug
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5364 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:17 PM »
I really only have one question for the starwars thread and that's why do you support fascism Rumata?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5365 on: February 12, 2021, 06:58:42 PM »
Just so we are clear in the starwars thread, you the grumpy fascist cat to my farting sleep dog. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5366 on: February 12, 2021, 07:23:19 PM »
Sorry, wrong video.
Here's the right one:

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5367 on: February 12, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »
Sorry, just so we are clear in the starwars thread, you the fascist JarJar Binks to my farting oppressed alien beast of burden. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5369 on: February 12, 2021, 10:05:26 PM »
Sorry, just so we are clear in the starwars thread, you the fascist JarJar Binks to my farting oppressed alien beast of burden.
Only Siths deal in Both Sides.  :hmph

https://www.vox.com/culture/2021/2/12/22280565/gina-carano-fired-star-wars-mandalorian-social-media-conservative

Reasonably insightful.
quote for the new page.  :-*

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5370 on: February 13, 2021, 07:31:11 AM »
I dunno, I mean half the movies in the top 20 IMDB list probably starred problematic people.

The Dark Knight - Michael Caine famously said "you can't vote for an actor just because he's black"
Schindler's List - Liam Neeson wanted to beat up some random black people in the streets at night
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Sean Bean was arrested for throwing a glass at his wife
Pulp Fiction - John Travolta never was the same after his son died and was a cray scientologist even before that

Disney's big fluffy star Robert Downey Jr. was literally pulled out the dumpster by Mel Gibson, who was cancelled before cancel culture existed.

Gina Carano's TikTok is somewhere at the bottom of 'offenses' commited by actors under contract or once under contract at Disney.
So I'm not really sure what their goal is. I would focus on shielding their talent and prevent them to mingle openly in the public debate.
Hell, those sick fucks in Hollywood still cheer on Woody Allen and Roman Polanski whenever they get the chance.

You are comparing superstars to a virtual nobody though. Nobody gives a shit about Gina Carano.
What

BIONIC

« Reply #5371 on: February 13, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »
Once you’re a superstar they let you get away with it  :trumps
Margs

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5372 on: February 13, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »

You are comparing superstars to a virtual nobody though. Nobody gives a shit about Gina Carano.
Yeah, I honestly thought she didn't have a career after like the 2010s. Was surprised to hear she was in the show.

The reality is she said really shit stuff while being employed by a company that cares about their image a lot.

But it was probably easier to fire her because yeah she's a woman, she's not that big of a star, and yeah it probably is more acceptable to fire these MAGA people. But the truth is she said some shit things that no company would want to be associated with. These people cry about freedom of speech, but that's not a catch-all defense. It doesn't stop people from responding in kind.  Maybe reflect on what you said and why people think it's shitty. I'm tired of this complaint about "cancel culture" as if it's something new. Decades ago you had to be careful about what you said about God or sex. Things change, but the idea that you can be lambasted for saying bigoted or offensive things hasn't.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:39:06 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5373 on: February 13, 2021, 07:24:16 PM »
I'm tired of this complaint about "cancel culture" as if it's something new.

I think there is a basis for saying the mechanisms surrounding cancel culture are new and possibly worse than before

this doesn't necessarily apply to gina and what it took to get her fired, but in general, the concept of reporting on people to their bosses in an attempt to destroy their livelihood -- in the 1970s people couldn't easily search up everything a person has said on a public platform they carry with them every day for the express purpose of saying a lot of random things

now if you say bad things on there, certainly you're a moron doing it to yourself, but we also have people willing to hunt through a decade of things you've said to find one bad thing and signal boost it DIRECTLY to your employers...along with a neet culture that now has enough free time on its hands to be able to do these hunts all day long

I think there was a point in time when the average nobody living 500 miles away didn't go directly to your boss and tell him to fire you, and equivalent to that, a point in time when your boss would've just laughed and told him to fuck off

Decades ago you had to be careful about what you said about God or sex.

that's the best/worst part about this, the lack of awareness at how promoting certain types of behaviors could possibly turn around and bite you in the ass someday, when the christians did it, and now when ultra-progressives do it

I do think in the past it happened less often because there was more of a togetherness/unitedness, we were all in this together, and you might hate someone but you didn't necessarily want to see them homeless, so you'd bite your tongue and let living well be the best revenge

we're beyond that now and it's really fun to make people lose their jobs it's like so fucking awesome you guys
Uncle

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5374 on: February 13, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »

Yeah, I honestly thought she didn't have a career after like the 2010s. Was surprised to hear she was in the show.

The reality is she said really shit stuff while being employed by a company that cares about their image a lot.

But it was probably easier to fire her because yeah she's a woman, she's not that big of a star, and yeah it probably is more acceptable to fire these MAGA people. But the truth is she said some shit things that no company would want to be associated with. These people cry about freedom of speech, but that's not a catch-all defense. It doesn't stop people from responding in kind.  Maybe reflect on what you said and why people think it's shitty. I'm tired of this complaint about "cancel culture" as if it's something new. Decades ago you had to be careful about what you said about God or sex. Things change, but the idea that you can be lambasted for saying bigoted or offensive things hasn't.
Are you pretending the last 10 or so years of social media evolution and integration in people's lives (and culture in general) didn't significantly change how the public interact with one another as well as these companies?
Obviously if you live in a society (ah!) you can't do and say whatever, but there's plenty of nuance in how that is handled and develops, beyond that very broad statement of fact.
I mean i know someone who got passed over on a job interview mainly because they didn't have a social media account, and that was seen as "suspect", so these platforms are becoming more than just "some private service you do to socialize", they are closer to direct extensions of democracy.

Whether that's good or bad, it's another matter, but i think it's a very complex problem, that shouldn't be shrugged off so easily.

Tasty

« Reply #5375 on: February 13, 2021, 08:48:07 PM »
I mean i know someone who got passed over on a job interview mainly because they didn't have a social media account

Should be illegal and I wish you were in a position that naming and shaming these people would do something.

Boredfrom

« Reply #5376 on: February 14, 2021, 12:47:51 AM »
The former president just got acquitted based on his team complaining about cancel culture so I can't imagine that is going anywhere for a while.

Don’t confuse your politicians being shit scared power hungry worms acquitting Trump with that being a issue of Free Speech vs Cancel Culture.

You are playing in their hands if you fail to recognize the political theater as anything but that.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5377 on: February 14, 2021, 07:10:57 AM »
I mean i know someone who got passed over on a job interview mainly because they didn't have a social media account

Should be illegal and I wish you were in a position that naming and shaming these people would do something.
I should clarify, this wasn't an official reasoning given, and they probably gave a biased account (it's not like i was there).

But anyway if this is the direction we're moving in, if in the future our digital presence is something that's gonna be a given, if not an obligation, that to me is too much power given to private companies.  :yuck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5378 on: February 14, 2021, 04:26:45 PM »
If we ever get from witch hunts to conservative hunts, I know I have died and gone to heaven. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5379 on: February 14, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »
If we ever get from witch hunts to conservative hunts, I know I have died and gone to heaven.
:thinking  cunts   :thinking let's go cunting

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5381 on: February 14, 2021, 10:05:46 PM »

Are you pretending the last 10 or so years of social media evolution and integration in people's lives (and culture in general) didn't significantly change how the public interact with one another as well as these companies?
Obviously if you live in a society (ah!) you can't do and say whatever, but there's plenty of nuance in how that is handled and develops, beyond that very broad statement of fact.
I mean i know someone who got passed over on a job interview mainly because they didn't have a social media account, and that was seen as "suspect", so these platforms are becoming more than just "some private service you do to socialize", they are closer to direct extensions of democracy.

Whether that's good or bad, it's another matter, but i think it's a very complex problem, that shouldn't be shrugged off so easily.
No I agree that with the internet not only is it easier for what you say to be "archived", but now whats much easier for random strangers to comment on it as well.

I think my point is that being "canceled" has always existed. But now it has been like everything in the world expanded upon, by the digital age. You always had to be careful about what you said, especially if you were a noteworthy person. Now, you have to be careful even if you're just a regular dude who works at Target.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5382 on: February 15, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
You think Padme and Jar Jar ever banged?
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5383 on: February 15, 2021, 05:07:05 AM »

No I agree that with the internet not only is it easier for what you say to be "archived", but now whats much easier for random strangers to comment on it as well.

I think my point is that being "canceled" has always existed. But now it has been like everything in the world expanded upon, by the digital age. You always had to be careful about what you said, especially if you were a noteworthy person. Now, you have to be careful even if you're just a regular dude who works at Target.
For current 20 to 30+y olds, it's not a big deal, but i think for kids, growing up with the idea of every thought being stored and scrutinized forever, is going to fuck them up in some really new and uncharted ways.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5384 on: February 15, 2021, 05:10:35 AM »
For current 20 to 30+y olds, it's not a big deal, but i think for kids, growing up with the idea of every thought being stored and scrutinized forever, is going to fuck them up in some really new and uncharted ways.

I can't even imagine what kind of sociopath politicians we're going to have in 20-30 years who've been trained since birth in opposition research and populist 2 sentence sound bites

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5385 on: February 15, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »
You think Padme and Jar Jar ever banged?

god I hope so
Uncle

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5386 on: February 15, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »
You guys need some positivity.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5387 on: February 15, 2021, 01:46:09 PM »
Jar Jar was totally her sex slave
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5388 on: February 15, 2021, 02:32:44 PM »
#JusticeForJarJar :social
(ice)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5389 on: February 15, 2021, 05:49:32 PM »
Who broadcasts their every thought even now? Why do you think future generations will?
There is a whole generation right now who grew up with the internet and learned to manage their online personas just fine (same as they've learned to manage their offline personas). And as they take over, they will be increasingly surrounded by people who have also grown up with the internet and share their values.

The kids are going to be OK.

I can't even imagine what kind of sociopath politicians we're going to have in 20-30 years who've been trained since birth in opposition research and populist 2 sentence sound bites
You're English, you don't need to imagine.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5390 on: February 15, 2021, 06:36:39 PM »
:confused

have you ever seen PM Question Time?
There's a lot of comparisons I could make about UK politicians, but slick, well groomed and media savvy instagram style 'influencers' definitely isn't near the forefront

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5391 on: February 15, 2021, 06:39:03 PM »
Sociopaths all the same.

Tasty

« Reply #5392 on: March 23, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »
https://heavy.com/entertainment/star-wars/bespin-photo-rushed-deadlines-tros/

Part of a quick montage at the end of #theriseofskywalker Fun building Bespin under pressure. Only had a day to work this out because it was late in the production and we were all under the gun. Note: scale of Star Destroyer is waaay off. Mainly because the team was looking for a dramatic composition.

One day for start-to-finish on a piece of "final" concept art seems... pretty rushed.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5394 on: May 20, 2021, 08:44:37 PM »
Does that mean he's running the franchise now?
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5395 on: May 20, 2021, 10:02:06 PM »
It's just an Executive CD position, so I don't think so. I expect there are several VPs who still hold dark, Sith-like powers over him.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5396 on: May 20, 2021, 10:06:00 PM »
Oh well...
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5397 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5398 on: May 20, 2021, 11:44:13 PM »
He's reporting to Kennedy, who is never going away, so if you're one of those people, just keep being mad I guess.
yar

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5399 on: May 21, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »
Whoever "those people" are, I can assure you I'm not one of them. Star Wars was a huge part of my childhood and i'd like it to return to some sort of quality. Filoni seems like he is on the right track and I think it would be a good decision to give him creative control. If they didn't, then so be it, I'm not about to go shoot up a theatre about it. I will, however, reserve the right to complain about it on theboredotcom with all the other nerds.
Spud