Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556442 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5400 on: May 21, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »
but it was the (shitty) films that almost tanked the biggest (probably) media franchise of all time :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5401 on: May 21, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
My Star Wars fandom has completely deflated after the Last Jedi and TROS. Almost the same effect the final season of GoT had.

Even though the Mandalorian was pretty good everything else Star Wars is just good old 'meh'.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5402 on: May 21, 2021, 07:03:48 PM »
remember when life was so simple and the prequels were the worst thing ever created

Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5403 on: May 21, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »
I think the difference is that the prequels outside of a few stellar performances, designs and cool scenes at least got you excited for 'what could've been'.
After The Last Jedi my expectations for TROS were 0 and then it managed to somehow go below that.

I genuinely think it is one of the worst blockbuster films ever released by Disney.
With the Last Jedi you could at least see what the director was going for even if he failed to deliver because he was seemingly overwhelmed by the whole thing.

TROS is just a complete rushed mess from start to finish and you can tell none of the actors cared.
After Benicio del Toro I didn't think another actor could phone in a part in Star Wars that badly but Keri Russell somehow did.
And perhaps literally because you can't even tell if she's even in the movie or just send over some voice clips.
Even the actors hate this turd.  :doge
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5404 on: May 21, 2021, 07:37:14 PM »
Regardless of quality, they're running this into the ground in my opinion.
What i saw from the 3d clone wars tv show wasn't really that good, but it's a children's cartoon, so whatever, the problem is now the release of Sta Wars doesn't really feel like an event, because there's just so much of it, constantly.
A thousand films, tv-shows, cartoons...

There were cartoons before, but it was stuff only absolute nerds cared about, now you have those, plus a thousand other shows on top of it.
And the worst of it is, it's generally very creatively stunted, with constant need for reference material and call backs to a well that's been dry for a minute now.

Maybe instead of doing a separate series for every irrelevant character in the galaxy, they should've had, like, 2 very high budget shows, with one being set far away from the movie canon (the KOTOR era or whatever).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5405 on: May 21, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »
I'm talking about their current plans, not what they did with Clone Wars in the Lucas/Prequel era.
The over saturation started with Disney.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5406 on: May 22, 2021, 12:22:50 AM »
STAR WAR is never going to be whatever you thought it was when you were a kid.

Once you accept that, you can enjoy it more.

Also real talk: the sequel trilogy (despite being a mess) is better than the prequels.

Also also: different people want different things out of STAR WAR. If all the shows they're about to shit out are on par with Mandalorian, I dgaf how oversaturated it becomes. I'll take more. Gimme shows and movies set in the Old Republic and High Republic, too.
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5407 on: May 22, 2021, 03:41:13 AM »
When i was a kid i was just happy to see a lightsaber.

I am honestly not that invested in the franchise, haven't been in more than a decade, but i'd be happy with a simple plot and some cool planets.

Mandalorian was very mediocre (sub mediocre, when it comes to writing) but at least it didn't try to reinvent the wheel with some bullshit.

If they can manage to do a Mandalorian, but actually have a main character that isn't a cardboard charisma void, that'd be good enough.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5408 on: May 22, 2021, 09:29:22 AM »
I'm good with most of it. Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and Rise of Skywalker can all fuck off though. Shit movies, even without the Star Wars name attached.
Spud

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #5409 on: May 22, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »
I'm good with most of it. Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and Rise of Skywalker can all fuck off though. Shit movies, even without the Star Wars name attached.

...I think those are my 3 least favorite movies too, honestly. Some days I flip a coin between Phantom Menace and Rise of Skywalker being worse. (I'm actually a secret Phantom Menace fanthing, if it didn't have Jar-Jar or Gungans in general it would be mostly fine, the prequels biggest problem is the turribleness of the Anakin-Padme relationship)
yar

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5410 on: May 22, 2021, 06:58:48 PM »
was just thinking about how the sequel trilogy has no mindshare at all among the average person or fan, no kids playing with toys, no excited speculation about various details, no one making hilarious videos using footage from them (except as insults), no one making memes from them like you see from the originals and prequels

but then I stumbled across r/sequelmemes which seems to be feebly cranking out milquetoast goofs

they are all terrible but this one got me

Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5411 on: May 22, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
There's just so much stuff out there now that there won't be a '1 big thing' like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or something ever again I think.
'Avengers' came close but even that had to share space with D.C. and other Super Hero things but still Avengers took over that toy/merchandise spot that Star Wars used to occupy.
Each streaming service has their own 'must see' shows also.

So even though there will still be good shit and plenty of memes and mindshare I doubt we'll have something that everyone is talking about.
Because even if Avengers was big there was still a sizeable group of people not watching super hero films.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5412 on: May 22, 2021, 07:33:15 PM »
yet baby yoder took over the internet for at least an entire year

hell chernobyl random tv series was in 2019 and I saw a shitload of "not great, not terrible" references ever since
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5413 on: May 22, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
yet baby yoder took over the internet for at least an entire year

hell chernobyl random tv series was in 2019 and I saw a shitload of "not great, not terrible" references ever since
Yes in our bubble, but there are plenty of bubles that have seen both.
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #5414 on: May 24, 2021, 10:55:52 PM »
You think Padme and Jar Jar ever banged?

god I hope so

i believe this was added in the dvd extras for The Phantom Edit
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5416 on: May 25, 2021, 12:35:19 AM »
Don is gonna be real happy to know the Rangers of the New Republic show has been aborted
Gina Carano can do good!

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #5417 on: May 26, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
https://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-plan-comments/

"I do think that there’s nothing more important than knowing where you’re going.”

:pika

You'd think he would have learned after Lost :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5418 on: May 26, 2021, 02:31:30 PM »
I wouldn't put all the blame on JJ, though he certainly does have to take some. I'd put most of it on Lucasfilm, who brought in 3 different directors/writers [but later ditched one to bring JJ back] and let them just do whatever they wanted with seemingly no clue how the three movies would end up fitting together.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5419 on: May 26, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
Yeah but what about Lost tho  ???
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5420 on: May 26, 2021, 03:50:43 PM »
I refuse to believe dozens people spent hundreds of millions on this without an ironclad plan for the whole trilogy.
Even though the proof is in front of us, of course.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5421 on: May 26, 2021, 04:10:21 PM »
It's amazing, isn't it?

Especially since they had a very clear blueprint to work from with the success of the MCU.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5422 on: May 26, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »
ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5423 on: May 27, 2021, 04:25:41 AM »
This latest article "We should have planned out star wars" NO FUCKING SHIT DUMMIES.

https://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-plan-comments/

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5424 on: May 28, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
gonna have a bit of a special fellow about star wars, no I will not be getting banned because I'm calling out others families. My issue with the latest bunch of films was just the timing of them, they went for the whole everyone is included now YAY! You can be of any race and religion and still be a good or bad guy, now that isn't exactly what I take issue with, but basically they went for the stan culture of online culture to basically use as a integral part of the new fan base so they could get away with doing a shitty job, because then no matter how fucked the films are you will have this new wave marvel group onboard to just lap up the shit and buy the toys and die on the hill of these absolutely shit movies.  Also at a time when EVERYTHING is super political and you're either a soyboy or nazi and that translates a lot to this die on a hill, if you hate them then clearly you are some sort of racist....

I cannot believe some people are like wow these movies are the best of the bunch, like shit the prequals sucked, but this sucked in a whole different way. Now you have people who are in charge of the whole multi billion dollar franchise like, "Oh shit should have really planned this out" NO WAY, SHOCKING, I do not and cannot understand how the same company that has made what a 20+ movie timeline drop the ball so hard on what could have been also a 20+ film franchise, star wars is fucking basic as hell, like it's very broke when it comes to ideas, they just use nostalgia to just push the new stuff forward, whilst at the same time forgetting what the hell made that stuff so important in the first place. I'm off to heal myself with some force powers now.

The only highlight for me was Kylo dying the way he did and pissing off the weird as fuck reylo shipping fans,

:rage

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:56:16 AM by Ghoul »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5425 on: May 28, 2021, 01:50:12 PM »
The fans
:ohhh "Maybe Obi Wan Kenobi is connected to Rey somehow, perhaps the dream sequence was actually a flashback into the past or Snoke using mind control powers. Who is Snoke anyway?"

:bobby "If you count the markings on his lightsaber you can clearly see he is a descendant of Darth Maul. Disney leaves nothing to chance. Kathleen Kennedy is micro managing this to minute detail to make sure the story is preserved the way Lucas envisioned and they don't make the same mistake he did with the prequels. Boy I can't wait to see how they tie this all together with the love and care of the Disney film making crew."

Meanwhile at the corporation
:success  "Those are some nice effects JJ, I love the lasers more than Trevorrow's, can you release it by Christmas if we do 80 hour shifts at the CG farm and put everyone in front of the green screen today to shoot the 5 different endings?"

:heyman "By the way Lucy from administration has a nice rack she can play the bounty hunter in the reshoots. Just keep the helmet on and they won't even know it isn't Keri"

:success "Great idea Mike, give her $100 and make sure she signs an NDA. God I love making movies"
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5426 on: May 28, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
The fans
:ohhh "Maybe Obi Wan Kenobi is connected to Rey somehow, perhaps the dream sequence was actually a flashback into the past or Snoke using mind control powers. Who is Snoke anyway?"

:bobby "If you count the markings on his lightsaber you can clearly see he is a descendant of Darth Maul. Disney leaves nothing to chance. Kathleen Kennedy is micro managing this to minute detail to make sure the story is preserved the way Lucas envisioned and they don't make the same mistake he did with the prequels. Boy I can't wait to see how they tie this all together with the love and care of the Disney film making crew."

Meanwhile at the corporation
:success  "Those are some nice effects JJ, I love the lasers more than Trevorrow's, can you release it by Christmas if we do 80 hour shifts at the CG farm and put everyone in front of the green screen today to shoot the 5 different endings?"

:heyman "By the way Lucy from administration has a nice rack she can play the bounty hunter in the reshoots. Just keep the helmet on and they won't even know it isn't Keri"

:success "Great idea Mike, give her $100 and make sure she signs an NDA. God I love making movies"
This hurts because it's true.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5427 on: May 28, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »
it doesn't hurt because nothing in any way related to star wars should ever hurt
Uncle

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #5428 on: May 28, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »
I mean it hurts in the way all Nintex posts do

yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5431 on: June 22, 2021, 03:24:14 AM »
There's another TV show idea for Disney!
A show all focused on Pod racing and Sebulba's origin story.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5432 on: June 22, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
How about a depressing drama about Watto and the human trafficking trade on Tatooine?
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5433 on: June 22, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
Senate of Cards  8)
Political drama about the events that lead to the trade dispute with Naboo.

The Freighter
Sitcom about a rebel alliance freighter crew up to no good in the galaxy far away

The Hutts
Soprnanos-like crime drama about the exploits of the Hutt family.

Jedi Babies
Cartoon about the Jedi younglings that Anakin later kills
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5434 on: June 26, 2021, 02:59:32 AM »
star war always head the dumbest ideas, they were just executed better and had yet to become pop culture.

leia is lewks sister. vader is his father. chewbacca  :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5435 on: June 26, 2021, 03:00:39 AM »
I've stroked my fat hog to better scenarios than this chit

Mostima

« Reply #5436 on: June 26, 2021, 03:20:48 AM »
I am thankful that the sequel trilogy was shitty enough that no kid watching them today will grow up to be a Star Wars man-child.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5437 on: June 26, 2021, 10:17:59 PM »
chewbacca is one of the most ridiculous characters of all time. think space ball covered this well enough

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #5438 on: October 26, 2021, 03:17:35 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5439 on: October 26, 2021, 03:24:03 PM »
It's one of the most garbage plots of all time. :lucas
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5440 on: October 26, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
Is this from the Fortnite strategy guide?
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5441 on: October 26, 2021, 04:12:47 PM »
The font looks like something you'd find bundled with a cereal box toy.
The plot is worse than that tho.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5442 on: October 26, 2021, 05:19:05 PM »
You know, sometimes I get a little down when thinking about the direction Star Trek has been taken into, and all of the missed opportunity with that much production money and effort in the mix.

Then I get reminded of where Star Wars is at, and it really brightens my mood.  I don’t know that someone could fuck things up worse if they were actively trying to make it bad.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5443 on: October 26, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
J.J. and the cast phoned it in and then Disney panicked and butchered it in editing so they could squeeze out as many screenings as possible because they had toys to sell.

🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5444 on: October 26, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »
It's one of the most garbage plots of all time. :lucas
There's shitty fan fiction from 14-year-olds that I've never read which I'm sure is better than what these idiots came up with.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:08:19 AM by Potato »
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5445 on: October 26, 2021, 09:38:28 PM »
That kid’s book retcon exposes just how garbage the whole thing is.

I saw the first film in theaters when I was nine years old, in 1977. It was nearly a religious experience for me. I began collecting the TOPP’S trading cards for it, and on the back of Darth Vader‘s TIE fighter card, it made an oblique reference to “next year‘s model.“ This was enough for me to get excited about the possibility of a sequel.

When episode V ESB launched three years later, 12 year old me was ecstatic. I was so happy about that movie. I heard that there were plans to make *nine* movies in total, and I was so  enthused, I was essentially a fanatic.

If you had told that young child that they would eventually make all nine movies, and that the ninth one would almost ruin my love of the material, I would’ve called you a liar. But that’s what’s happened.

That last movie just about killed it for me.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5446 on: October 26, 2021, 10:43:27 PM »
Is this from the Fortnite strategy guide?
It says Strand-Casting right there, Joe, this is clearly a Hideo Kojima joint.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5447 on: October 27, 2021, 05:39:04 AM »
If you had told that young child that they would eventually make all nine movies, and that the ninth one would almost ruin my love of the material, I would’ve called you a liar. But that’s what’s happened.

Even just 6 years ago if you'd have said the new trilogy would make Eps 1 through 3 look like the fucking Godfather Trilogy by comparison I'd have found that hard to believe, yet here we are.

Ghoul

« Reply #5448 on: October 27, 2021, 05:58:35 AM »
I would have loved to have seen all of the other edits of the film, you know, where none of the last film happened.

I spent an evening watching all of the Red Letter Media Half in the bags recently, watching them back to back is so facinating.

They go from being really excited to almost utter despair by the last one.

I do wonder if they'll ever make a Plinket review on Rise Of Skywalker, but I think they'll just leave it to rot to be honest.

It's honestly so baffling what they did with star wars, especially with how well the marvel crowd seem to love those movies. They're just like "Fuck it, do whatever"

The fact that no-one was fired for this trilogy is just insane. I also see Mando going to shit next season because they're ultra focused on it now.

it'll just get fucked up in fan service. Could already see that happening with the Season finale of S2

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5449 on: October 27, 2021, 06:39:24 AM »
It really was TLJ that fucked the entire thing.
TFA was maybe playing it overly safe and cashing in on nostalgia / retreading 'greatest hits', but it was a solid foundation to build... well, fucking something from, and as much as I hate JJ Abrams mystery boxes style, there was enough stuff thrown out that any of those threads could have been picked up and expanded on, or ignored as red herrings by anyone who wasn't actively trying to be an asshole in part 2 of a trilogy and paint the whole thing into a corner, which it honestly seems like what Rian Johnson deliberately did.

ROS is a fucking mess, but was always going to be a mess as it had to be a trilogy in one fucking film, as Part 2 shut down Part 1 of the trilogy, and left very little narrative space left to go, so you had to recover from all of that.

Absolutely fucking crazy tbh.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5450 on: October 27, 2021, 07:41:19 AM »
i liked how they turned luke skywalker into a miserable, reclusive, attempted child murderer who goes out like a bitch tbh :rash
(ice)

Kurt Russell

« Reply #5451 on: October 27, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »
Imagine getting this worked up over a Disney Movie
woke

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #5452 on: October 27, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »
disney haven't made a single interesting flick since it abandoned its "lets scare the shit out of kids with handpainted works of art" ethos in the late 90s. they used to make films ostensibly for kids which taught genuine lessons about the complexities of humanity and had all kinds of mature themes and genuine conflict, now they make films for adults who want to autofuck themselves back into their own childhood with themes such as "which roided tart can punch the galactic badman the hardest".

those who disagree suck mouse cock by choice.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:22:11 PM by headwalk »

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #5453 on: January 04, 2022, 12:48:40 PM »
I subbed up to disney plus.
I watched episode 8 for the first time against my better judgement
Absolute liquid shit lmfao. Somehow its even worse than the internet says.

Luckily I decided to watch the mandalorian too, which is pretty ace.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5454 on: January 04, 2022, 03:59:47 PM »
I subbed up to disney plus.
I watched episode 8 for the first time against my better judgement
Absolute liquid shit lmfao. Somehow its even worse than the internet says.

Luckily I decided to watch the mandalorian too, which is pretty ace.
Just wait until you see the steaming pile of incoherent shit that episode 9 is...
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5455 on: January 04, 2022, 07:59:14 PM »
I tried to watch the new Bobby Fat show and turned it off after 5 minutes.

I can't believe after 2 (narcolepsy inducing) seasons of Mandalorian, they thought the best course of action was to go for ANOTHER fucking show about a Mandalorian on Tatooine, only this time older and fatter, so he needs to be sitting down 50% of the time.

I mean literally anything would've been better, even a show about Twi'lek hookers on Coruscant's lower levels, anything.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #5456 on: January 04, 2022, 08:07:59 PM »
I haven’t watched Boba Fatt yet, but the Mandlawhorian was a fun little show  :ufup

Best live action Star War thingy anyways (which admittedly isn’t a high bar…  :teehee)
Margs

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5457 on: January 04, 2022, 08:43:47 PM »
even a show about Twi'lek hookers on Coruscant's lower levels, anything.
I am 100% on board for the Taxicab Confessions of Star Wars, full of moments with dancers talking about how they got addicted to spice trying to cope with having to suck Hutt dick.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5458 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »
I mean literally anything would've been better, even a show about Twi'lek hookers on Coruscant's lower levels, anything.

:nope complex cgi nightmare mixed with practical set that costs millions for one episode

:ohyeah don't-even-need-a-permit-to-shoot-there $0 desert
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #5459 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:22 PM »
I tried to watch the new Bobby Fat show and turned it off after 5 minutes.

I can't believe after 2 (narcolepsy inducing) seasons of Mandalorian, they thought the best course of action was to go for ANOTHER fucking show about a Mandalorian on Tatooine, only this time older and fatter, so he needs to be sitting down 50% of the time.

Twi'lek hookers :nope

Twi'ink hookers :ohyeah