Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 555100 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5460 on: January 04, 2022, 10:00:02 PM »
I haven’t watched Boba Fatt yet, but the Mandlawhorian was a fun little show  :ufup

Best live action Star War thingy anyways (which admittedly isn’t a high bar…  :teehee)
It had cool locations going for it, and as you mentioned, a very low bar to cross over.

It had near non-existent character development (this guy turns good in ep1 and stays the same for 2 seasons) and incredibly boring action, since his gimmick is he has super armor.
At least it had a couple of better episodes here and there, where other characters did some decent stunts, though.
But i mean with a license like SW, you could do pretty much anything.
I mean literally anything would've been better, even a show about Twi'lek hookers on Coruscant's lower levels, anything.

:nope complex cgi nightmare mixed with practical set that costs millions for one episode

:ohyeah don't-even-need-a-permit-to-shoot-there $0 desert
Star Wars has already like 3 major desert planets that look suspiciously alike, i'm starting to get suspicious.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5461 on: January 04, 2022, 10:00:23 PM »
:nope putting the emojis at the back of your text

:ohyeah putting them in the front so the people are properly gesturing at what you typed
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #5462 on: January 04, 2022, 10:10:57 PM »
I value my words more than memes

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #5463 on: January 05, 2022, 01:08:54 PM »
I subbed up to disney plus.
I watched episode 8 for the first time against my better judgement
Absolute liquid shit lmfao. Somehow its even worse than the internet says.

Luckily I decided to watch the mandalorian too, which is pretty ace.
Just wait until you see the steaming pile of incoherent shit that episode 9 is...

i've actually watched the whole thing at this point, and S2 was a bit fan servicey but I still liked it on the whole
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5464 on: January 05, 2022, 01:20:08 PM »
I tried to watch the new Bobby Fat show and turned it off after 5 minutes.

I can't believe after 2 (narcolepsy inducing) seasons of Mandalorian, they thought the best course of action was to go for ANOTHER fucking show about a Mandalorian on Tatooine, only this time older and fatter, so he needs to be sitting down 50% of the time.

I mean literally anything would've been better, even a show about Twi'lek hookers on Coruscant's lower levels, anything.

I'm pretty sure Boba Fett is the show Favreau originally wanted to make (and that the fans always wanted), even though technically its a spin-off from The Mandalorian, but you're right in that I dunno how much mileage they can get out of running both series concurrently. Mandalorian Season 2 was mostly stealth pilots for other SW TV shows as it was.

I dunno, I enjoyed Book of Boba Fett episode 1 anyway :idont
Boba Fett is The Man With No Name to The Mandalorians Outlaw Josey Wales

e:
GIVE US A ZUCKUSS CAMEO, YOU COWARDS

Tasty

« Reply #5465 on: January 05, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
Mandalorian Season 2 was mostly stealth pilots for other SW TV shows as it was.

This + the obsessive fanservice was pretty offputting tbh. S1 was fun because it got away from all that jank.

They even messed up Luke's face.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5466 on: January 05, 2022, 03:18:55 PM »

Just wait until you see the steaming pile of incoherent shit that episode 9 is...

i've actually watched the whole thing at this point, and S2 was a bit fan servicey but I still liked it on the whole
Wait, are you taking about The Mandalorian or the films? When I said episode 9, I meant The Rise of Skywalker. The Mandalorian is actually decent.
Spud

who is ted danson?

« Reply #5467 on: January 05, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »

Wait, are you taking about The Mandalorian or the films? When I said episode 9, I meant The Rise of Skywalker. The Mandalorian is actually decent.
oh right yeah I haven't seen episode 9 yet. Thought you meant ep 9 of mandalorian. if I want more punishment though i guess i'll check out rise of skywalker   :lol :lol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5468 on: January 05, 2022, 04:40:18 PM »

oh right yeah I haven't seen episode 9 yet. Thought you meant ep 9 of mandalorian. if I want more punishment though i guess i'll check out rise of skywalker   :lol :lol
Oh man, please please please report back once you watch it
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5469 on: January 06, 2022, 11:47:38 PM »
Episode IX made me hate Star Wars for the first time since Episode I.

who is ted danson?

« Reply #5470 on: January 07, 2022, 04:49:00 PM »

Oh man, please please please report back once you watch it

I got 55 minutes in and had to stop.  Fuck all of this bullshit. The palpatine bullshit resurrection . The chewie transporter death but actually not bullshit. Rey suddenly having yoda level force powers. Deepfake carrie fisher (RIP).  Nobody acknowledging the last film existing. This film is so bad that it makes Episode 8, a puddle of liquid shit, look like The Godfather Part 2.

Edit: Just checked the plot synopsis and it somehow gets even worse   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5471 on: January 07, 2022, 05:04:53 PM »
It does get worse. I cannot believe someone at Disney read that script and said, "This is the way we close out the most highly anticipated movie trilogy of the new millennium."

I completely agree that it made the shitshow that was episode 8 look good. It also made very very average movies like Solo and Rogue One look good too.

Pretty sure no one has been fired over that shit either.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5472 on: January 07, 2022, 05:54:38 PM »
This whole trilogy made the prequel trilogy look like George Lucas knew what he was doing.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5473 on: January 07, 2022, 06:59:26 PM »
Imagine, in 2005, you said that within 10 years, Disney would buy Star Wars and make a trilogy of films so bad people would pine for the days of the prequels and George Lucas-directed CGI shitfests and Ant-Man would have a bigger profile than Luke Skywalker?
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5474 on: January 07, 2022, 08:31:16 PM »
This whole trilogy made the prequel trilogy look like George Lucas knew what he was doing.

I probably said this before in this long-ass thread but the prequels actually managed to expand the universe of star wars! naboo architecture and ship designs were interesting! the alien races were fun! they sold a shit ton of toys and video games because they made colorful weird creatures and vehicles that were fun to play with

if star wars was a tabletop RPG (and it has been, like three times), the prequel trilogy was a giant new sourcebook brimming with possibilities, look you can now play as a gungan, you can play as a sebulba, you can fly these stylish new ships and go to these new planets

sequel trilogy added nearly nothing, it's all member berries
Uncle

« Reply #5475 on: January 07, 2022, 09:05:46 PM »
Boba Fett is two shows running two storylines and one of them is godawful. The second one isn't particularly brilliant, either.

Borealis

« Reply #5476 on: January 07, 2022, 11:23:05 PM »
At least if the prequel trilogy of films sucked for you (and they kind of did for me), you had the EU to turn to with it's solid content. KOTOR era (and earlier settings) plus the Thrawn/New Republic/Legacy-era stuff was my absolute jam, featuring the kind of narratives I'd easily put above and on par with the OT honestly.

The EU had it's supreme ups and downs, but give me that over the current rabble the franchise is currently putting out.

Like, imagine having to write about and around the rehash/small-world syndrome bullshit they introduced in TLJ and TROS? Fuck that.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5477 on: January 08, 2022, 11:30:32 AM »

I probably said this before in this long-ass thread but the prequels actually managed to expand the universe of star wars! naboo architecture and ship designs were interesting! the alien races were fun! they sold a shit ton of toys and video games because they made colorful weird creatures and vehicles that were fun to play with

if star wars was a tabletop RPG (and it has been, like three times), the prequel trilogy was a giant new sourcebook brimming with possibilities, look you can now play as a gungan, you can play as a sebulba, you can fly these stylish new ships and go to these new planets

sequel trilogy added nearly nothing, it's all member berries
This is the main issue.
The prequels are bad movies, bad scripts directed even worse, and many of the effects aged like shit, but they brought a lot of new stuff to the table (on top of trying to be innovative on a technical level), lore, visual ideas, choreography ideas...
This new trilogy was pathetic, trying to justify its complete lack of vision with nostalgia bait and preposterous meta deconstructions.
And then of course closing it all with pure lunacy, in terms of script.
To me that should've ruined the Star Wars franchise more than even Season 8 did with GoT, but it seems people still hold out hope.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes i basically repeated what you just said.  :doge
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5478 on: January 21, 2022, 12:17:39 AM »
http://twitter.com/sw_holocron/status/1482041100621787140
Beautiful! The show itself also takes its main direction from the Ralph McQuarrie concept work of the original trilogy.

I'm caught up on Book of Boba Fett, and sad that Robert Rodriguez seems to be GREAT at making it look like a regular broadcast TV show and not the cinematic accomplishment that Mandalorian is.

Tasty

« Reply #5479 on: January 21, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
Star Wars probably has more better concept art than any audiovisual or textual media.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5480 on: January 23, 2022, 07:37:55 AM »
Star Wars probably has more better concept art than any audiovisual or textual media.

This, as well as sort of expanding on what Uncle was saying above about SW world building and how they just throw stuff in that makes it seem like a populated and diverse universe.

Like, look at an image of something like Star Trek ship designs and compare it to Star Wars ship designs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5481 on: January 23, 2022, 08:18:30 AM »
Yep, especially the new trilogy. In the TFA art book there's a section about Vaders castle which sits on top of a vulcano on Mustafar(?) or something.
So many great locations you only see in passing, because the movies and even TV shows focus 50% of their running time on barren wastelands like Hoth and Tatooine or ship and room interiors.

In that sense, games have often done a better job at portraying the Star Wars universe.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5482 on: January 23, 2022, 02:58:31 PM »
LEGO Star Wars is the optimal way to experience the franchise, something I'll always stand by. I do not have high hopes for the Skywalker Saga LEGO game that somehow has been delayed for like 3 years now.
Yeah, what the hell is up with that? It's a Lego Star Wars game, aren't they just basically reskins of the same game they've been making since 2005?
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5483 on: January 23, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »
LEGO Star Wars is the optimal way to experience the franchise, something I'll always stand by. I do not have high hopes for the Skywalker Saga LEGO game that somehow has been delayed for like 3 years now.
Yeah, what the hell is up with that? It's a Lego Star Wars game, aren't they just basically reskins of the same game they've been making since 2005?
They opted for a new in-house engine as opposed to using Unreal which is what most of the team wanted.
They didn't really staff up despite having to support many more platforms going into the next generation. The game is also much bigger in scope than the previous entries.

The studio is known for crunch, poor tools and mediocre pay so not exactly a popular place to work.
Considering Disney holds tight control over everything Star Wars it probably doesn't make it easier to make a game with 300 characters covering all Star Wars films either.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5484 on: January 25, 2022, 07:49:50 AM »
In the TFA art book there's a section about Vaders castle which sits on top of a vulcano on Mustafar(?) or something.

https://youtu.be/Kc2kFk5M9x4?t=1471
Uncle

Quaker

« Reply #5485 on: January 28, 2022, 09:23:09 AM »
Umm, don't mean to hype it up too much but was the latest Boba Fett episode the best piece of Star War video content since the original trilogy? It's definitely fan service but it doesn't come across as corny or unearned (or cheap), like the rest of the Boba Fett show. It was like everything I'd want from the EU as far as lore and world building.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5486 on: January 29, 2022, 02:01:18 AM »
WIZARD.

Fucking great. Bryce can do no wrong.

Rodriguez been making Star Wars look like a broadcast TV show, but Bryce made this look like a movie.

Music was spot on, too.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5487 on: January 30, 2022, 07:30:46 AM »
Its only fair we get an ep of mando in another TV show, as he gave up his whole of season 2 to do stealth pilots for all the other tv shows they obviously want to make, but a bit odd to kill off Gus Fring offscreen - I assume Mando S3 will have a flashback ep covering that.

Nice to do a callback on those ships being really tight and speedy little fighter craft, and good callback scene running away from the space cops, but I can't help but feel if you're a bounty hunter that has any intention whatsoever of bringing targets in alive, you're better off with a generic SUV than a vintage Alfa Romeo Spider, so I dunno how long it'll stick around (or until Mando gives up the Bounty Hunter gig I guess)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5488 on: January 30, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
Wait, what? They killed off space Fring? Offscreen?

WTF is that bullshit?
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5489 on: February 03, 2022, 09:54:53 AM »
Ep 6 almost as good as ep 5.  Better, maybe, if you’re a Clone Wars fan. They got this guy working at ILM now:

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5490 on: February 04, 2022, 08:47:32 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:57:54 PM by chronovore »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5491 on: February 04, 2022, 03:34:16 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #5492 on: February 04, 2022, 03:49:06 PM »
:lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5494 on: February 08, 2022, 06:33:52 AM »
Rogue One was pretty miserable, so I'm pretty :idont on a spin off, but the name is amusing to me as something a really crappy 'insider' would leak - "STAR WARS AND / OR A TV SERIES MIGHT GET A SEQUEL!"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5495 on: February 08, 2022, 07:09:43 AM »
Are Rian Johnson’s Star Wars movies canceled?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5496 on: February 08, 2022, 07:31:39 AM »
I think so, but I doubt he cares with the netflix payday he got for turning knives out into a trilogy

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tasty

« Reply #5498 on: February 08, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
 :wut

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5499 on: February 08, 2022, 02:05:00 PM »

Uncle

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Tasty

« Reply #5501 on: February 10, 2022, 10:02:38 PM »
The amount of "I see Boba on Rancor, I like episode" comments I've seen today is in the double digits, for the record.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5502 on: February 10, 2022, 10:11:58 PM »
Yeah.

But that was unearned and mostly dumb. While he was on the Rancor, AND the Battle Droid’s shield were down, AND he’d already identified the eye as the droid’s weak spot, he was just sitting there with a gun in his hand. Doing nothing. Famous bounty Hunter. Doing nothing.

Ugh.

Tasty

« Reply #5503 on: February 10, 2022, 10:14:36 PM »
People seem to finally be waking up to the fact Robert Rodriguez, despite his pedigree, absolutely sucks at action. I woke up to it last Halloween when I finally watched From Dusk Til Dawn. Neat premise let down hard by abysmal action and setpieces.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5504 on: February 10, 2022, 10:19:44 PM »
God. Yes.

I wanted to live that movie, and I adore Quentin’s first half. The second half is miserable.

Also, SPY KIDS and the SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL movies also have the same chintzy feel to them.

Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico were good though.

Tasty

« Reply #5505 on: February 10, 2022, 10:29:48 PM »
Being kids films, the action isn't as important, and there's so much goofy and weird stuff in Spy Kids that the trilogy is probably Rodriguez's strongest work.

Also Spy Kids 3D was probably the first non-Japanese isekai.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5506 on: February 10, 2022, 10:31:47 PM »
People seem to finally be waking up to the fact Robert Rodriguez, despite his pedigree, absolutely sucks at action. I woke up to it last Halloween when I finally watched From Dusk Til Dawn. Neat premise let down hard by abysmal action and setpieces.
Desperado says eat my Bucho!
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #5507 on: March 09, 2022, 05:35:34 PM »

Me after the first 30 seconds: "You... fucking. Bastards."

Like holy shit, Disney remembered Duel of the Fates exists and is the best piece of SW music ever.

Tasty

« Reply #5508 on: March 09, 2022, 05:47:06 PM »
Also Joel Edgerton is ridiculously underrated and I'm excited to see him be in something popular.

I wonder if he ever imagined a 20-second cameo in the final film of a trilogy would lead to side-character status on a limited series 17 years on.

...Probably not.  :brain

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5509 on: March 09, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »
Also Joel Edgerton is ridiculously underrated and I'm excited to see him be in something popular.

I wonder if he ever imagined a 20-second cameo in the final film of a trilogy would lead to side-character status on a limited series 17 years on.

...Probably not.  :brain
Even here he has flown under the radar while having an absolutely stellar career.

If I was an actor, I think I would like it that way rather than attracting all the hysteria and shit.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #5510 on: March 10, 2022, 10:32:49 PM »
I can't stop watching this goddamn trailer. :maf :lawd

Just the knowledge of Hayden coming back as Vader/Anakin is making me go :crazy
[close]

I didn't think I had nostalgia for the prequels but I guess it was just all that Clone Wars CG shit Lucas and then Disney have been peddling (on the prequel side) for the last 15 years. :idont

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5511 on: March 10, 2022, 11:43:19 PM »
I can't stop watching this goddamn trailer. :maf :lawd

Just the knowledge of Hayden coming back as Vader/Anakin is making me go :crazy
[close]

I didn't think I had nostalgia for the prequels but I guess it was just all that Clone Wars CG shit Lucas and then Disney have been peddling (on the prequel side) for the last 15 years. :idont
I only have nostalgia for Duel of the Fates.

The rest is  :piss :gaas
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5512 on: March 11, 2022, 01:06:58 AM »
That is a badass chorale, for sure.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5513 on: March 11, 2022, 02:05:34 PM »
I bought the Episode I soundtrack on CD back in 1999 for Duel of the Fates. :rejoice
©@©™

daemon

« Reply #5514 on: March 13, 2022, 08:43:27 PM »
I bought the Episode I soundtrack on CD back in 1999 for Duel of the Fates. :rejoice

Me too, or rather my mom did.

Liked to go to the train station by hearing this:

daemon

« Reply #5515 on: March 13, 2022, 08:48:20 PM »
I'm gonna post my cringe videos of stopmotion I made back in 2001 lmfao
https://streamable.com/p7vc97

If you're thinking, ey that's not bad for a 10 year old... I was 15.

(Qui-gon curling up in the most dramatic way will never not crack me up)

PS: fucked up, double post.

Tasty

« Reply #5516 on: March 13, 2022, 09:41:35 PM »
It was one of my first three songs on iTunes.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5517 on: March 14, 2022, 12:04:25 PM »
Even Dutch rapper Brainpower used it as a 8 minute diss track  :doge

Good beat

What

Tasty

« Reply #5518 on: March 14, 2022, 08:44:10 PM »
‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’: Darth Maul Scenes Cut, Luke Skywalker Replaced During Creative Overhaul

Thank God. Not sure I could take Robot Legs in live action, even if Vader is the most overused character in SW (Deepfake Luke is giving him a run for his money though).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5519 on: March 15, 2022, 12:13:06 AM »
‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’: Darth Maul Scenes Cut, Luke Skywalker Replaced During Creative Overhaul

Thank God. Not sure I could take Robot Legs in live action, even if Vader is the most overused character in SW (Deepfake Luke is giving him a run for his money though).

Darth Maul's SOLO cameo was just goofy for me. I didn't get a sense of the animalistic, barely controlled rage of Episode I's Maul.
I think Deepfake Luke is great. CG de-aged Luke, less so.